Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 12/05/2016

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday: Steve Harvey (author, "Jump: Take the Leap of Faith to Achieve Your Life of Abundance"); Helen Mirren ("Collateral Beauty"); "View Your Deal" holiday edition with hottest items at affordable prices.

Tuesday: Queen Latifah ("Star"); Andy Cohen (author, "Superficial: More Adventures From The Andy Cohen Diaries").

Wednesday: DJ Khaled (author, "The Keys").

Thursday: Jodie Sweetin and Andrea Barber ("Fuller House"). (We know what this means.)

Friday:  Edward Norton ("Collateral Beauty").

I had no idea that Helen Mirren's career went back to 1975.  She is awesome.  I love plain-speaking women "of a certain age" -- one that I am fast approaching, with nowhere near as much self-assurance and wisdom.

Whoopi is much less on my nerves lately. I consider it a Christmas present.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

I had no idea that Helen Mirren's career went back to 1975. 

I saw her onstage with the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1968. She was Hero in Much Ado About Nothing. Hero isn't supposed to be the lead, but in Mirren's hands ... somehow she was. The next time I saw her was in O Lucky Man! with Malcolm McDowell in 1973. I've loved growing old with her. I only wish I'd aged as well.

• Love 5

I "locked on to" Helen Mirren when she played Jane Tennison on Prime Suspect, a British cop show.  Man, that was a REALLY GOOD SHOW with actors that are still around.  One of them was on Downton Abbey, but I can't remember his name.  He played the butler (who limped).  I've been a fan of Helen's for a looong time.

I don't like Steve because he seems smarmy to me.  (I did, however, like most of the advice he gave women in his book "Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man".)

Edited by Medicine Crow
Steve's book
  • Love 6

Medicine Crow, YES!, Prime Suspect brought Mirren to my attention.  That was a fabulous drama and she was fabulous in it.  Your mentioning it makes me want to search around to find it (I don't do Netflix) and watch it again!   If she is in a movie or TV show I am rarely disappointed in it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ari333 said:

Why do you guys hate Steve?

Only speaking for myself here.  I find his exaggerated reactions and mannerisms to be annoying.  I don't think he has much talent, I dislike the show he's on.  People are asked questions that are designed to get a certain response, the he acts out being shocked when the responses are not G-rated.

I don't hate him, I just don't enjoy watching him.

• Love 7

I don't like Steve Harvey because he comes across as arrogant.  I don't think he's funny and I'm baffled as to how he got as far as he has.  I'm also skeptical about anyone who's been married 3 times handing out relationship advice.  I've just never liked the man.

• Love 21

Wow, Jedidi tells Americans outraged by ever-increasing incidents of threats, assaults & vandalism against fellow citizens from certain minority/ethnic/religious heritages plus crimes against gay & transgender individuals, now being committed by the Klan, Nazi Party or Just Plain Whackos, proudly screaming they're "Doing This For Trump!" to "deal with it."  Can't wait to hear her (Paula & CCB) put a positive spin on Secy of Education nominee, Betsy DeVoss's  extremely, Unconstitutional plan to have Evangelical Christianity taught in all U.S. public schools by the end of 2017.

• Love 8

Love Helen Mirren!  Woman is a class act.  I've been a fan for years.  Ageless beauty and brains.  She's made some off the wall movies (The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover to name one) as well as Shakespeare movies and many other roles.  Lady is awesome in everything.

Love Queen Latifah, too.  She is a force of nature......

*small voice*  I like Steve Harvey.  Hubby & I watch Family Feud every night.  He knows the questions are stupid and answers rigged way too sexual for a show that airs in the morning in some markets so kids can see it.  I see his exasperation at some of the answers but he keeps things moving and has a great rapport with the contestants.  And I've seen his stand-up comedy.  He's very funny and was one of the Kings of Comedy.  (RIP Bernie Mac)

Edited by OhioSongbird
....forgot something....
  • Love 4

"Oh my stars and garters." I agreed with Whoops' point about the media vs rump. When I agree with Whoopi it shakes my world.

I'm enjoying Sunny. Too bad CCB will be in her seat .... whenever.

Is there a site where folks can buy something someone wears on this show? On a rare occasion I like a top that I seeand wonder where I can get it.

The fact that the security person (I forgot the actual title) re tweeted horrible fake news and then as a result some nutjob opened fire at a pizzeria should be YUGE BIGLY news. What happened to no screaming "fire" in a crowded theatre etc? I said it before as others have said; rump is going to drive civilization off a cliff. .... either directly or indirectly through his minions. No rules apply to him, don't-cha-now.

• Love 11

I love Joy. She is lovely in every way for me. She is by far my fav and always has been (as well s Meredith and Lisa) But it looks like the election or something is wearing her down. I hope she is well.

• Love 13

Jedi was wearing another, IMO, ugly top. Now I know that a "stylist" picks out their clothes but the final say is still theirs. Between this and that sweater.......

I don't want Malibu Barbie back. I've grown used to having a smart, articulate woman - with a soothing pleasant voice - sitting in that chair. 

Totally OT, but I do want to thank wings707 for putting me on to that dijon vinaigrette. I made some last night and I have finally found my new salad dressing, after months of trying many recipes and pouring the results down the drain. Delicious!

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, dinkysquid said:

Jedi was wearing another, IMO, ugly top. Now I know that a "stylist" picks out their clothes but the final say is still theirs. Between this and that sweater.......

I don't want Malibu Barbie back. I've grown used to having a smart, articulate woman - with a soothing pleasant voice - sitting in that chair. 

Totally OT, but I do want to thank wings707 for putting me on to that dijon vinaigrette. I made some last night and I have finally found my new salad dressing, after months of trying many recipes and pouring the results down the drain. Delicious!

Do I need to go to small talk to ask for the recipe? I missed it.

• Love 2

Right before Sarah brought up the Passport program, Whoopi called her Sherri.

59 minutes ago, ari333 said:

I love Joy. She is lovely in every way for me. She is by far my fav and always has been (as well s Meredith and Lisa) But it looks like the election or something is wearing her down. I hope she is well.

I feel the same way. I like her, but ever since Donald became the Republican nominee she's been in fight or flight mode and it's gotten worse since he became the president elect. She looks terrified and she says she's terrified, but she needs to rise above it somehow because it's almost like a black hole for her at the moment.

Granted, it doesn't help that Trump is crazy and she's beside Sarah who I feel voted for Trump and is now regretting it.

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, backformore said:

I think she is among many progressive thinking people who are walking around stunned and depressed since the election.

YES! I guess I see some of myself in her. She looks scared and.... off... and me too.

• Love 16
44 minutes ago, bannana said:

I am currently liking Whoopi for not backing down on everything Trump.  Go Whoopi.  

Me too..I loved the fact, that her rage is, for the people, who are helpless to do anything, if the Drumpf dictatorship, becomes too much to bear..She alluded to her status, as a wealthy celebrity, in that, she can leave the country, if it gets really horrific..For the rest of us, that is not feasible..God help me, but, I have to say Kudos to the movie star....I love her bitchiness to Jediblabla, it is a necessary evil, that I will put up with, plus, it gives me life...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, ari333 said:

Do I need to go to small talk to ask for the recipe? I missed it.

Google Jaques Pepin dijon vinegarette and it comes up first on the list. 

I am still on a break from watching this show and the news (for the most part),  but I love reading about it here, it softens things a bit. 

/

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, bannana said:

I am currently liking Whoopi for not backing down on everything Trump.  Go Whoopi

For the first time, I thought I'm going to miss Whoopi if she isn't there next season.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, bannana said:

I am currently liking Whoopi for not backing down on everything Trump.  Go Whoopi.  

Yeah, I like that she is against Trump.  BUt she gets stuck on the income tax topic.  I wish she'd get more involved in other aspects.   I noticed that yesterday, she had NO CLUE what the whole "pizza-gate"  thing was, and she must have looked it up, because today she spoke about it with some knowledge. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Granted, it doesn't help that Trump is crazy and she's beside Sarah who I feel voted for Trump and is now regretting it.

I don't think she voted for trump at all.  She sounds more liberal than that.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Fannysue said:

I don't think she voted for trump at all.  She sounds more liberal than that.

Yeah, she likely voted for HRC. A few days after the election, she said "the election didn't go the way I {she} wanted" 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ari333 said:

Ditto on the Joy love. I am re watching Late Night With Joy which was done out of her home , she's so much fun.  I've mentioned previously that I see on her face what the election has done.  We are frightened for our children and grandchildren and every person/ group  he has threatened.  Today  she looks much bettering I have found laughter is a must 

Brother I wrote this at 11 am and obviously got distracted which happens a lot lately  

• Love 9

I am with you guys, I adore Joy as well....seriously she is the reason I watch this show and love it when she is the host instead of Whoopie....Jedi needs to be fired, I have to turn off the sound when she rattles on about things she knows nothing about. And, while we are at it, who in the hell ever told her she was such a hot piece? Because they were mistaken! God, I hate her.

• Love 9

Remember how happy Joy was on the Veteran's Day show with Mere, Star and Debbie?

She isn't that happy at all with this panel.  Airhead Sara is always hitting her and Jediblahblah won't shut up. I think this election was so hard on her and she would be able to tolerate it more with the old panel.

• Love 9