Type keyword(s) to search

OK...What's Next?

1 hour ago, callmebetty said:

On this Thanksgiving I want to say I am thankful for this thread and all you smart, informed posters. And am I thankful the sky is blue. Always a wonderful Blue. Happy Thanksgiving . 

You, too, CallMeBetty! 

I don't know what I would have done if it weren't for you guys. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, callmebetty said:

On this Thanksgiving I want to say I am thankful for this thread and all you smart, informed posters. And am I thankful the sky is blue. Always a wonderful Blue. Happy Thanksgiving . 

Just got back from a walk watching the dolphins swim off shore. 

• Love 8

Having a drama-free Thanksgiving. We're basically on the same page. Biggest downside is that I may have an allergic reaction to the dog. I just took two Benedryll. My eye is itchy, and that's annoying. He is cute, though, and I'll post pics later.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, callmebetty said:

On this Thanksgiving I want to say I am thankful for this thread and all you smart, informed posters

Same here. I am so thankful this forum opened up and we have a place to collect our thoughts. It's heartening to see so much passion and speaking out. I think I may survive the next few years in part because of you guys. Cheers. 

*lifts glass of cold duck*

*moves bottles of champagne originally intended for election night down to basement fringe to be consumed at the first victory for the resistance*

Today, I also want to flat out say that I am stunned at both the success of the Stein vote count fundraising and that it has given even my cynical mood a huge lift. I am so thankful that she funded her goal for a recount in WI and is on her way to meeting her goal for the other two states. I am thankful, even if it doesn't change the results:

1. If the results are legit, I at least know that our process was safe and integrity preserved.

2. That amount of fundraising in such a short time sends a BIG message. There's a large segment of the population that's not going to simply sit back and handwave the suspicions of electorate officials. 

3. It sends a YUGE message to agent orange and his goons. We have the ability to raise big money, fast. We outnumber you. There are more people watching you than you think. Your resistance is now far greater than HRC.

4. It got a lot of press to take it seriously and pay attention instead of waving it away as "oh, that silly third party goofball."

5. I see what can happen when a clear message is sent that reaches across party lines to achieve a goal. And I will also say this act, so far, clearly shows a commitment to progressive values and election fairness, so hats off, Stein. You've got my attention and you've opened my mind. For that, I am truly thankful. 

The Cryptkeeper Dementor (KAC) has a Tweet out there saying something about how HRC is the one who can't accept the results. Er....Ms. Death Eater? HRC had nothing to do with it, but you go right ahead with that tired old saw. 

The Advocate posted a hilarious collecton of Tweets to Stein's efforts. Happy Thanksgiving!

• Love 19
31 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

Today, I also want to flat out say that I am stunned at both the success of the Stein vote count fundraising and that it has given even my cynical mood a huge lift. I am so thankful that she funded her goal for a recount in WI and is on her way to meeting her goal for the other two states. I am thankful, even if it doesn't change the results:

1. If the results are legit, I at least know that our process was safe and integrity preserved.

2. That amount of fundraising in such a short time sends a BIG message. There's a large segment of the population that's not going to simply sit back and handwave the suspicions of electorate officials. 

3. It sends a YUGE message to agent orange and his goons. We have the ability to raise big money, fast. We outnumber you. There are more people watching you than you think. Your resistance is now far greater than HRC.

This, so much. I often wonder if it's just us here, "us" on my other message boards and "us" on Facebook who are appalled. Echo chambers can be lonely places.

Seeing how quickly the first goal was met opened my eyes to how not alone we are.

• Love 12
On 11/23/2016 at 0:14 PM, ari333 said:

Ive witnessed horrible things in the last two weeks. One drunk stumbling shirtless person even shouted "trump is king!" before he swatted an adult black male on the rearend.  It was for humiliation, rather than violence or injury, but for me imo that IS violence. When a person hits another person that is battery. Sorry I'm a broken record. I was just so appalled. I'm not adjusting well bc it seems to be getting worse. rump has given these hateful people a new energy and reason to spew hate.

Muslim girls are getting accosted walking to the school bus. The Muslim boys are harder to identify apparently. (no hijab)

My bf has bad stories from work. His white co workers are singing rump's praises.  

I fear for my bf who I love so much and those of my family members who are not white.... and my neighbors...... FEAR

I'm white so I'm not a target for some things. I am afraid for my loved ones and neighbors. And as for me,  I am afraid for my health care. If something happens to it, I wont survive. There are three meds that keep me from stroking out bc of my spikey unreal blood pressure.  I already survived and mostly recovered from one stroke and then one mini stroke and I'm not even super old yet. *sigh* Sorry for the personal rant.

Stay Strong!  Sorry to hear about your health problems, (I was in and out of hospital all summer), so I am worried about the repeal of the Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare").  Yes, I am feeling fearful, but Drumpf is happy hanging out in Mar-a'lago.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Grommet said:

This is a little too mean-spirited for the Soft Kitty thread - some hilarious reviews of the Trump ornament on Amazon.

Some classics!

It tried to put my nativity figures into an internment camp. Would not buy again.

• Love 12
50 minutes ago, onthebrink03 said:

aadf333b-12b6-4cc1-99c3-bb03014e0659_zps

Or send that link to Delta via facebook, twitter, email and tell them you won't use an airline that tolerates that kind of attitude towards women. 

• Love 9

I am so impressed Stein submitted the recount request today. Absolutely agree that it sends several tremendous messages--#1 Don't discount third party candidates;  #2 People Power; and #3 Don't count on running roughshod over your opposition for the next four years Donald Trump & Co (assuming that you even have that chance.)

That was such a great alternative to having Hillary or the DNC make the appeal. I see lyin' Kellyanne is trying to blame it on Hillary (and the lying Trumpkins are saying its all funded by George Soros), but Tubby's getting another look at what a grassroots campaign can look like of millions of people who are actively against him and willing to commit money to oppose him. Woo-hoo!

• Love 16

ABC ran Santa Claus Is Coming To Town tonight. I'd like to add Burgermeister Meisterburger to the comparison list. Seriously, if the president-elect outlawed toys in the U.S., would any of us be that shocked?

• Love 8

I've been reading about the recount effort and Michigan is still too close to call. How in the heck was it possible for anyone (not including the jump-to-react media) to declare Trump the winner? I find it so irresponsible, given the record number of absentee and early voters, to call anything before all the ballots were counted.

• Love 6

Does  Hillary have an e-mail address? Okay, bad question. Is her site operating? I want to write to her about not giving up against Mango Mussolini. I know she's probably bent the rules, but at least she would be aware of them. Basically, I'd want her to pursue the White House for mothers, daughters, the true disenfranchised, logic in general, etc.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Oh Sheesh!  I cant believe the flight attendant did not tell him to sit down & quit disturbing the passengers.

Considering Delta flight attendants on not 1 but 2 recent flights also chose white male doctors over equally qualified African-American female doctors--who responded first to an onboard call for doctors--to assist with inflight medical emergencies involving other passengers, I'm afraid I can believe they'd do nothing. And Delta's always been my airline of choice when I travel--at least until now. But I haven't traveled in over 6 years now, because of health & other reasons.

At any rate, I've gotten at least some Tweets related to this on my Twitter feed. The guy who originally posted about this incident on Social Media (at least on Twitter) apparently (as he should've) contacted Delta about this (along with many others, including at least 2 celebrities I recognized, on Delta's Twitter feed); he posted their response to him tonight. It was their standard "We're sorry this incident happened. We are investigating." form, non-answer, answer.

• Love 4

Is this where we post about The Queen of the Useful Idiots? Talent does what it can, genius does what it must, and when it comes to adding sand to the lube Dr. Jill Stein has a proprietary recipe.

Why are people giving Jill Stein millions of dollars for an election recount?

… It’s a lot of money, especially for the Green Party. Stein’s 2016 campaign, the party’s most electorally potent since 2000, took in $3,509,477 from donors. As of Thursday afternoon, the recount effort had raised $3,875,502. It’s the largest donation drive for a third party in history — so what’s actually going on?

The Green Party has done this before, to little result…
The inspiration for the recount: Theories ranging from sketchy to debunked…
If the election were hacked, a recount couldn’t prove it…
Stein doesn’t claim that the recount will elect Hillary Clinton… That desire has motivated many donors, but Stein spent much of 2016 telling interviewers that the Democratic nominee was more dangerous than Donald Trump. In her own comments since the recount effort began, she described the election as “hacked,” but doesn’t say that the wrong result came out of it…

Stein has also used the fact that Democrats won’t push for recounts as evidence that the party is corrupt. On RT, she scoffed that “you’d think that the Democratic candidate, who has more skin in the game here, would be more involved.” According to Palast, Stein told him that “Democrats do not act to protect the vote even when there is dramatic evidence of tampering.”…

Dr. Jill Stein, having spent her entire 15 minutes telling anyone who would listen all that Hillary Clinton was a mass murderer who would be worse than Trump has apparently had a change of heart, or needs more attention, or just wants to raise a ton of money she won’t refund when the states won’t or don’t do the recount.

Dr. Stein’s jumped on the recount bandwagon with money bilked from other Useful Idiot's for herself ... *cough* ... “her” party -- while slagging the actual victims (Hillary Clinton and the Democratic party) using the GOP’s/RT’s most conspiracy-friendly memes -- Dr. Stein crossed the finish line as the first non-GOP politician to put into affect the many lessons in graft from Hair Gropenführer's election. A mort of “liberal” money that would’ve been better spent elsewhere will now be poured into the hands of the state electors most firmly in the hands of less-than-ethical Wisconsin Republicans (sorry, Madison -- you know better than I how much Scott Walker has damaged Wisconsin’s political credibility). When the recount almost inevitably fails, honestly or otherwise, the GOP will happily trumpet that Trump has TRIUMPHED over #CrookedHillary. Too bad Dr. Stein wasn't concerned about a few thousand votes tipping the election to Hair Gropenführer before the election.

If you want to know why no one takes the Green Party seriously despite aligning with the Dems on many issues (or more accurately, Greens aligning with Dems on many issues since they haven’t done jack shit), this is why.

I’ll take, “Grifter, Useful Idiot, & Attention Seeking Diva” for $100.00, Alex.

Congratulations! Another ratfucking well done, Dr. Stein!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 3

’ll take, “Grifter, Useful Idiot, & Attention Seeking Diva” for $100.00, Alex.

I couldn't possibly agree with you less.  

A recount is underway in Wisconsin.  I don't give even half a crap about Jill Stein as a politician.  However, the margin of votes in places like PA is 50k.  A recount doesn't even need to turn up fraud to get the job done.  

Also, I have a great deal of respect for Obama, but on this one he is wrong and I am discounting his input as -- again -- it's a democracy.  It's not fucking up to him.  Good fucking grief. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 16

Obama outlasted Fidel Castro. Does that count for anything? I'm thinking Castro saw the results, figured that the new "president" would advocate swarming Cuba like locusts, and decided to check out for good. Or maybe the exploding cigar finally worked.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, stillshimpy said:

I couldn't possibly agree with you less.  

A recount is underway in Wisconsin.  I don't give even half a crap about Jill Stein as a politician.  However, the margin of votes in places like PA is 50k.  A recount doesn't even need to turn up fraud to get the job done.  

Also, I have a great deal of respect for Obama, but on this one he is wrong and I am discounting his input as -- again -- it's a democracy.  It's not fucking up to him.  Good fucking grief. 

Exactly. I didn't care for Stein's campaign, but huge kudos to her for stepping up and becoming a vehicle for protest and a stand for democracy--you know, where VOTERS choose their president, not "electors" and not President Obama (sorry, but he's so establishment-conformist most of the time that its maddening if you're actually liberal.)

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, fastiller said:

Something I saw on Twitter (someone named Ryan Holmquist, someone I follow re-tweeted it):

Castro: I will not die until America is destroyed
Trump: I'm gonna be the president
Castro: well then

Another one on Twitter (can't remember who posted it)

CIA "We've tried hundreds of times to get him, nothing's worked"

2016 "I got this covered"

• Love 16

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/802639333236895744

XkFOjHz.png

Why I Left White Nationalism

I was born into a prominent white nationalist family — David Duke is my godfather, and my dad started Stormfront, the first major white nationalist website — and I was once considered the bright future of the movement.

--------------------

The wave of violence and vile language that has risen since the election is only one immediate piece of evidence that this campaign’s reckless assertion of white identity comes at a huge cost. More and more people are being forced to recognize now what I learned early: Our country is susceptible to some of our worst instincts when the message is packaged correctly.

Edited by Duke Silver
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, stillshimpy said:

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.    We don't actually eat meat other than fish, so we had the Gardein Stuffed "Turky" breast and it was actually kind of awesome!   Yesterday, Gilmore Girls dropped and I was feeling happy, truly happy, for the first time since the Orange Menace won the day (or hopefully not, I implore the universe, walk this fucker back).  We went out for sushi, came home and I got this in the mail.  I was in a pretty literal form of shock.  The resignation date cannot be an accident.  It's Trump's inauguration.   My doctor is an Islamic woman.   Since the mid-2000s I've always chosen an Islamic PCP to try and help combat Islamophobia.  I did the same thing when we got here.  

I feel like half the people around here have to actually know my first name by now because we've all been posting on various boards for what feels like eons and are familiar to one another.  Nonetheless, I blocked out my name and address because it seems the safest internet-protocol to observe.  

This is actually subtle enough to miss what the fuck is going on here:  My doctor speaks three languages, one of them being Farsi.  It was actually a tiny bit unusual for her that I showed up in her patient rotation.  

This just can't be a coincidence and I was perilously close yesterday to just sort of breathing deeply and believing everything is going to be okay.   Then my primary care doctor, who is from Iran, sent out a letter resigning on Trump's inauguration date and guys, we have arrived in the first bus stop on the Greyhound to hell:  People fleeing religious persecution are running away from the United States.  

I have never been this ashamed of my country.  Do not normalize this shit!!! Even if it is just keeping it in the forefront of your consciousness:   This is not over. 

Freakyletter_zpsuev30f7n.jpg

Oh My!  Now we will be experiencing a brain drain from the U.S., talented people who are needed in our country are now too nervous about the future to want to stay here.  

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Oh My!  Now we will be experiencing a brain drain from the U.S., talented people who are needed in our country are now too nervous about the future to want to stay here.  

All part of Trump's plan to create jobs.

• Love 7

Watching an SNL repeat, taking place after the Access Hollywood stuff got leaked. I just want to go back, sidle up to one of the players or Alec Baldwin, and whisper, "We let the wrong one in." Seriously, the show thought Hillary had it. It's not like she dropped the ball before getting to the end zone. More like she got tackled by fans of the opposing team, as well as those whom she thought would have her back.

• Love 4

rhMHzpU.png

How the Alt-Right Uses Internet Trolling

It’s not a failure of human intelligence that many people failed to take “trolling” more seriously. Much in the same way that fake news on Facebook was easy to dismiss until people realized its potential to massively influence many voters’ viewpoints, trolling obfuscates truth and reality, often through satirical means, in order to mask sincere propaganda.

One of the most significant and pernicious ways that members of the alt-right use trolling is to create a sincerity-proof chamber of distortion surrounding what their actual message is. They do this by pretending that what they’re really doing is satirically spoofing how progressives and members of the media view conservatives.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Watching an SNL repeat, taking place after the Access Hollywood stuff got leaked. I just want to go back, sidle up to one of the players or Alec Baldwin, and whisper, "We let the wrong one in." Seriously, the show thought Hillary had it. It's not like she dropped the ball before getting to the end zone. More like she got tackled by fans of the opposing team, as well as those whom she thought would have her back.

Watching pre-election comedy is so hard now. Everyone thought Hillary had it. And she does, by over 2 million votes. Just not the EC votes.

• Love 10

SiRjYtM.png

Americans Keep Looking Away from the Election's Most Alarming Story

Russian (and former communist) propaganda has traditionally worked exactly this way: The more you “report” something negatively, the more the negative is true. Trump and supportive media outlets adopted the technique and reveled in information gained from the illegal Russian hacking (as well as many “fake news” stories that evidence suggests were generated by Russian intelligence operations) to make exaggerated claims (“Hillary wants to open borders to 600 million people!”) or to accuse Clinton of illegality, corruption and, ironically, treasonous behavior.

• Love 10
Just now, MulletorHater said:

Fuck no, I will not give him a chance.  He is an illegitimate "president" as far as I'm concerned and he disrespects the office everyday.

True, that-- it works both ways. Republicans don't get to act like it's wrong for us to be ever against this President-elect, when all they did to Obama for all 8 years of that term is what they're against us doing about this President-elect!

• Love 21

Why are none of the major Dems drawing attention to the coming Louisiana runoff? That seems so important and I've only heard about it from random people on twitter. I don't understand how the Dems act so stupidly so often instead of acting in their best interests.

• Love 6

About the recount: what I can't figure out is, even if it went ahead in enough states to overturn the electoral tally, and showed massive "errors" that gave Clinton an electoral college win, does anyone believe that Trump's supporters would accept that outcome and just let it go? Is there any plan in place to deal with the fallout? The Republican congress wasn't willing to work with Obama after his two wins that everyone agreed were legit on the first count. Imagining the current Republican majorities in both houses, and the almost half the country that supports Trump, going along peacefully with a recount that overturned their victory... I just don't see it happening, and I would like some idea of how anyone thinks they might handle that level of outrage. It's violent enough already, when they're feeling happy. I can't fathom the level of violence if there's a reversal. 

• Love 2

I don't think a recount will change the results, unless it is found that there was some illegal tampering or hacking.  And if that's the case, then the issue calls into question the results of every state, really.  If someone can hack one state, then how many others could be and were hacked?  And who did the hacking?  I think that would be a devastating blow to our country, to be honest.  If our election results are fake, we have a major problem. 

If there was no tampering or hacking, the recount won't change anything.  I think Trump tapped into the same groups of people that the Republican party has always courted, albeit a lot more subtly than Trump - single issue voters worried about guns, gays, and abortion, Christians worried about the so-called War on Christmas and Christian values, racists, isolationists, cut taxes for the wealthy and very wealthy, cut social programs for those lazy welfare bums, etc.  This isn't new.  Trump was just more open, obvious and blunt about pandering to those voters, but this isn't entirely a new platform for the Republicans.

• Love 8