Type keyword(s) to search

OK...What's Next?

Ok, what's next?

tubby rump (no caps intended) wants folks who burn the flag to be jailed for a year and or lose their citizenship. Shades of dictatorship. No free speech, no protesting, no free press.... for starters.  "The View" covered this topic today if anyone wants to see it. I'm sure it's been covered elsewhere as well.

Sorry I keep editing; my keys are sticking.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Her favorite Neo-Nazi won and she can't get no satisfaction from her lessers ... Some krayzee cannot be fixed.

Yeah, that woman is a nightmare but the woman filming her isn't wrong: she needs help.  That wasn't about being a Trump supporter -- that was just the thing that gave her the words -- she's mentally ill as hell.   I hope someone identifies her so that her family can get her some fucking help.   That was a disgusting and hateful rant but no one flips their fucking wig like that in public, for that long, screaming all kinds of things, including accusing a toddler of shoplifting,  without a serious underlying psychosis.  

Please don't mistake me, I'm not defending her words, that was the craziest fucking thing I've pretty much ever seen a real person doing -- and I volunteer for a low-cost housing provider where a schizophrenic berated me for close to twenty minutes last week because his housing supervisor wasn't available, as I made Santa themed bingo cards for a holiday party, so I see some full blown sick pretty regularly  -- but that woman is sick as hell and needs help. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3

What's next? Barron and Melania costing the taxpayers a bundle so they can stay in NY and who knows why?

Anyway..

Just bc Barron is painfully shy and extremely uncomfortable on camera in front of huge crowds, does not, imo, mean he is on the spectrum. He's probably terrified, which is sad. imo. He's 10 and probably sheltered..... and painfully shy. (or I could be wrong) 

Edited by ari333
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

I'm inclined to agree.  His "chief strategist" once said, "You know what?  Might not be a bad idea to limit the voting rights of black people in the United States."  Because of his new position of power--as well as fellow racist Jeff Session--he might be able to pull it off.  Look at some of the efforts that have been underway for years, which have been ramped up ever since President Obama was elected in 2008.  It goes to the old belief that the right to vote should only belong to white property owners.  

Anyone paying attention to Drumpf's exhortations to his cult members to "monitor" the polls in certain neighborhoods ("You know what I mean") should be able to see the game plan.  That's why it's dangerous to pretend that the so-called "alt-right" and Steve Bannon are anything but what they actually are.  

• Love 14
2 hours ago, ari333 said:

What's next? Barron and Melania costing the taxpayers a bundle so they can stay in NY and who knows why?

They are, I thought (according to some earlier reports). The reason supposedly has to do with the kid's schooling.

It was what was behind the (apparently so ignored many people here haven't seen it) report that Trump's pockets will be filled because the Secret Service agents who have to stay in the same building as the people they are protecting (the wife and kid) will be paying full Trump Tower rental rates for their space, ergo Trump will be pocketing an extra $3 million+ a year from the US Taxpayers to pay that rent for the Secret Service in that gold abomination of a building. You know. To protect the people who don't HAVE to be staying there. So that's $12 million (unless the rent gets raised after the first year and its even more) that Trump is fleecing the taxpayers for right from minute one. And where's the outrage in middle America?  Well, The New York Post reported it, but apparently them there non-New York media outlets haven't...

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 8

I just donated a weekly recurring donation to Campbell's campaign in LA. 

I realize this is likely a piss into the wind move, but hell, if nothing else, it has to be heartening for the campaign to see donations coming from as far north as Minnesota. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Every minute of the Felon-At-Large[*]'s pre-term is an ethical concern.

[*] Trump has BOASTED about sexual assault and bribing a state official.  But the FBI couldn't spare a minute to look into either charge.

Or if he and his campaign had actually colluded with Russia to interfere in the U.S. election.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

She seems nice ... for a member of the White People Defense League

Her favorite Neo-Nazi won and she can't get no satisfaction from her lessers ... Some krayzee cannot be fixed.

It's not the first time this woman, Jennifer Boyle, has lost her mind and unloaded a bunch of filth on store employees - apparently, she loves to terrorize store employees all over Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood.  Love how she makes sure to tell them she has a $90k a year job. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UERvMHsI5-Q&feature=youtu.be

• Love 1

She's like the frat aliens from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. "My dad owns a dealership!!"

I signed another Change.org petition, this time for auditing the election. Once again: this is very straw-graspy, but WTF else can I do?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, stillshimpy said:
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

I also got several compliments on my "A woman voting for a Republican is like a chicken voting for Colonel Sanders" shirt.)

Where, oh where, did you get this?  Please, please, please tell me. 

Hmm, I think I got it through Northern Sun (I get a lot of my message shirts, stickers, magnets, etc. there), but at a quick glance all I see available now with that slogan is the bumper sticker, not the t-shirt.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

She seems nice ... for a member of the White People Defense League

This woman is a multiple offender. There's another video of her going off in Peet's Coffee. I live in the Chicago area. My current goal is to run into her and witness this in person. 

• Love 4

Another cause worth supporting, IMHO.

The Internet Archive is building a Canadian copy to protect itself from Trump

“On November 9th in America, we woke up to a new administration promising radical change,” writes founder Brewster Kahle. “It was a firm reminder that institutions like ours, built for the long-term, need to design for change. For us, it means keeping our cultural materials safe, private and perpetually accessible. It means preparing for a web that may face greater restrictions. It means serving patrons in a world in which government surveillance is not going away; indeed it looks like it will increase.”

• Love 12
4 hours ago, izabella said:

t's not the first time this woman, Jennifer Boyle, has lost her mind and unloaded a bunch of filth on store employees - apparently, she loves to terrorize store employees all over Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood.  Love how she makes sure to tell them she has a $90k a year job. 

Oy.  Well, I sort of doubt she truly has a ...job, let alone a well-paying one.   Here's the thing though, she's horrible, she's a terror....and she is still sick as hell and still needs help.  It feels like part of how this all happened, how we ended up with the Orange Menace, is that people lost all empathy and compassion for anyone who wasn't them.  I'm not saying that woman is sympathetic, she's a holy terror and someone needs to stick a thorazine dart in her butt.   She still is exhibiting signs of psychosis.  She has completely disproportionate responses and apparently feels persecuted, lashing out in mortifying tirades.  She's sick.  The fact that she regularly does this, and velcros herself onto whatever weirdness she can claim is being perpetrated against her and screams like a lunatic is pretty strong evidence.  

Donald Trump mocks the disabled.   I'm sure he would mock the mentally ill.  I don't think joining him on that just because I don't like the person in question is appropriate. 

I have a very sick sister-in-law and I know all too well how difficult it is to help someone that sick -- if she's not considered a danger to herself or others, they can't lock her up or force her to get help.   If she had a high paying job, it can't really outlast the most recent performance.   

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 4

Another cause worth supporting, IMHO.

The Internet Archive is building a Canadian copy to protect itself from Trump

Thank you - Rachel Maddow is covering this on her show, too. 

Memory hole to open in 3....2...1....

I will definitely donate.

Ha ha ha!! 

Keep it up, Chris Hayes: 

11-29-2016 9-17-01 PM.png

• Love 8

Every day brings more depressing news. You know how people were giving to Planned Parenthood in the name of Mike Pence? Maybe we could start giving to the ACLU in Trump's name and in addition to the acknowledgement card they could send him a pocket Constitution.  Because Khizr Khan was right, the Donald has obviously NEVER read it.

Seriously thinking of burning an American flag now.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Hmm, I think I got it through Northern Sun (I get a lot of my message shirts, stickers, magnets, etc. there), but at a quick glance all I see available now with that slogan is the bumper sticker, not the t-shirt.

Thank you, Bastet, excuse me while I launch myself bodily through the link. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, potatoradio said:

Ha ha ha!! 

Keep it up, Chris Hayes: 

Hahaha Romney's face!!! How many people have pictures like that where you don't want your picture taken especially because of who you're with.

• Love 9
55 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Seriously thinking of burning an American flag now.

One of the many things I hate about Trump is how he  brings out the worst in me. Never in a million years would I consider burning an American flag because, to me, that is the ultimate form of protest that should be reserved for dire times. I've been trying to rise above and not sink to their level but I don't think we're too far from those dire times.

I support your right to burn the flag if you choose to @Quilt Fairy.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 18

It was what was behind the (apparently so ignored many people here haven't seen it) report that Trump's pockets will be filled because the Secret Service agents who have to stay in the same building as the people they are protecting (the wife and kid) will be paying full Trump Tower rental rates for their space, ergo Trump will be pocketing an extra $3 million+ a year from the US Taxpayers to pay that rent for the Secret Service in that gold abomination of a building. You know. To protect the people who don't HAVE to be staying there. So that's $12 million (unless the rent gets raised after the first year and its even more) that Trump is fleecing the taxpayers for right from minute one. And where's the outrage in middle America?  Well, The New York Post reported it, but apparently them there non-New York media outlets haven't...

I forget what the building near Columbus Circle is for. All I know is his name is on it and it makes me sick to look at it... so I don't. I've driven by the Trump buildings by the highway (also started not making eye contact... possibly childish but whatever) but I haven't been close enough to tell. But there's a big police presence around the Columbus Circle building around the train station. I hope at some point those officers can go back to their jobs. The police are stretched thin enough. They don't need to be babysitting his buildings. There were a ridiculous number of cars and officers there when I walked past about a week ago on my way to the subway. 

• Love 2

My ideal civil disobedience would be to hang the president-elect's portrait upside-down. Why burn the flag? Rick Monday might come out of nowhere to grab it and tackle you.

Still sore about the impending end of The Amazing Race because I remember how YKW hated how it constantly beat The Apprentice at the Emmys. Now he's going to be President, Celebrity Apprentice is going to continue with his Austrian counterpart, and a good show is going to go off the air. Doesn't seem fair.

John McCain was today's Moment of Zen on The Daily Show. I reckon he feels that he might not live through that presidency. Also, nominating Sarah Palin as a running mate almost doesn't seem that bad. Almost.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

My ideal civil disobedience would be to hang the president-elect's portrait upside-down. Why burn the flag? Rick Monday might come out of nowhere to grab it and tackle you.

Because it is the ultimate test of civil liberties in this country.  What true freedom looks like in a free land.  It's not comfortable but that's the point, it's supposed to be the test of "You say we are free?  Are we?  We shall see."  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 6

Tonight, Lawrence O'Donnell replayed a clip from the West Wing (show he wrote, though Penn & Teller wrote their parts). The premise was P&T were performing at the White House. For a trick, they talked about the First Amendment then took the Bill of Rights, rolled it up and put a folded American flag inside the "tube".  Then, using an "unusual wand"--a cigarette lighter--they ignited it.

The unrolled the Bill of Rights and the flag was gone. The moral? "That you can burn the flag, but the Constitution remains"  (Of course, the plot from there was the furor over two entertainers burning the American flag at the White House). Good bit, though. Too bad Tubby clearly doesn't even know enough about government to make me think he even watched the West Wing.  (And I'm sure--having helped people pass the citizenship test many times--that Tubby wouldn't have a prayer of getting more than 10 questions right out of a hundred. And that may even be generous.)

• Love 12

I forget what the building near Columbus Circle is for

Its a hotel.  He's going to cost the city nearly 1 million per day since they won't all move to DC. 

ETA: Trump Tower’s security is making Fifth Avenue shopping more difficult

The chaos around the tower, with the street closures and pedestrian checkpoints, the glut of gawking tourists and frequent presence of protesters, has meant that stores adjacent to the building at 56th Street have seen their businesses suffer since President-elect Donald Trump won the office.

“There are some people that won’t even come to the area because they don’t want to get caught up in all of this,” said Tom Cusick, president of the Fifth Avenue Business Improvement District. “But there are probably more who come because they’re attracted to it.”

The crowds don’t seem to be shopping — Cusick said an “initial assessment” predicts a “potential loss of tens of millions of dollars for the season.”

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I support your right to burn the flag if you choose to @Quilt Fairy.

Thanks. I guess I was supposed to do my rebelling during the Vietnam War, but I attended a small, technical college which had minimal protests. Now, almost 50 years later, my inner bitch is coming out. I seem to be vacillating between really depressed and pissed-as-all-hell.  Does that make me bi-polar?

Since so many posters have mentioned the northern sun website, I gave it a look and found this.  I wish it was a t-shirt or a bumper sticker, right now it's only a magnet:

Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding - Betty White.

• Love 8

Letters Calling for Genocide of Muslims Sent to Mosques Across the Country

“He’s going to do to you Muslims what Hitler did to the Jews,” the letters state.

A neighbor a few houses down from me claims every instance of hate since election day are fake, and merely part of a liberal conspiracy, and the only true victims of hate since then are Trump voters who are being beaten in the streets "all across the country."  He seriously believes this.  I literally shook my head and walked away with a clenched fist when he said this to me last night.  I won't expend any energy engaging with these people.  It's an utter waste of time.  His news sources?  Facebook & InfoWars, just like our President-Elect.

• Love 16

I think it depends how you define social media. I'm not on facebook and twitter a lot. But if you expand it to mean youtube and blogs and this giant internet apparatus by which we communicate, I have learned a lot about people and facts and issues from all of that. But I think a big problem is that sometimes it's hard to find voices you can trust. I don't want to get into it but I was looking up some female sexuality things the other day and was shocked that google and youtube couldn't provide me a clear answer. I eventually googled my search + planned parenthood and got an OK response. But still, there's a wave of misinformation and a glut of issues we still don't discuss that openly and honestly and while you're never going to find a truly unbiased source, it would be nice if more truth rose to the top so you could make a more informed decision about what to believe. I was home on Thanksgiving looking through my old notes from school. Turns out we covered womens' rights, labor rights, voting rights, the electoral college, the treatment of Native Americans, the internment of Japanese Americans (we actually went to a museum exhibit), etc. Sure, I've forgotten a lot of the finer points but having learned about those subjects and also discussing them and analyzing them is fundamental to your development as an informed citizen of this country. If you want to talk about education standards, those topics are what we should be making standard. OK, I'm rambling now.

• Love 3

I'm referring more to the Facebooks and Twitters out there, the platforms where people seem to mainly communicate ideas -- frivolous and important and everything in between. People turn to those sites for their "breaking news" more than actual news sites or TV, since more often not someone breaks the news there first. They've always got the scoop. And it seems that we're so used to getting our information there that we just take any information presented for granted as reality and are less and less inclined to consider the facts, the sources, the logic, any of it. Someone put it out there -- with a link! -- therefore it must be true. And then it gets shared two, ten, fifty times and suddenly it becomes even more real, and everyone is talking about it and sharing the same misinformed ideas and misinformation and due to some psychology of group dynamic everyone accepts it on face value and goes along with those same ideas. It's like a really twisted game of Telephone -- an idea starts, then gets shared with the next person, and the next, and the next, and soon a thousand people are going along with it. Except when it's a false story or a fabricated, twisted version of facts, they're all believing in and spreading fake news, and they believe it for no reason other than the fact that everyone else believed it and therefore that must mean it's true. Forget skepticism, forget critical thinking and reasoning skills, and sure as hell forget about even doing a simple Google search to see if there is any merit to that idea floating around on Facebook. All of that takes too long anyway. You want to keep up with the latest news and information, as it happens, as it breaks, you gotta see what's trending on Twitter. Because that's where the "news" is shared. And if enough people are talking about it, it must be real news. And that's all it takes. So we've lost the ability to actually think critically and consider facts and make independent judgments, because in the lightning-fast world of social media sharing thinking for more than three seconds on any one subject is just too much trouble. It's far easier to look at Twitter and see what other people are saying about it and adopt the line of thought for yourself. The question of whether or not what those people are saying is even true or accurate is far less a priority than keeping up with the latest trending scoop. We don't care about what's real anymore. We don't care about doing the work to learn what's fact or fiction. We don't care to think for ourselves when social media makes it so easy to follow along with whatever nonsense everyone else is saying. We're getting dumber.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 5

Granted, I don't use social media the same way as everyone else does. I mainly use it to keep in touch with people in tenuous ways (you know, the occasional facebook happy birthday), sharing entertainment videos/articles, etc., talking with people when I don't want to text or email (though I've stopped doing that because fb messenger is a mess), and with twitter, checking in with what friends and celebs want to put out there (e.g. read this blog post I wrote, tweets about an awards show or some kind of TV event). I agree with your characterization of social media but I'm not sure how prevalent it is. I think just focusing on social media discounts how much people go to what they see as news outlets like breitbart or the NY Post or the countless other places that crazy lady used to forward articles from. And I think it also discounts how people are able to put up blinders when they do hear evidence that contradicts their worldview. It's some weird Fox News magic where if someone registers as "liberal" their words suddenly sound like adults in the Peanuts world.

• Love 2

Just read a headline saying that Secretary of State is down to Mitt and Rudy. Some choice: disingenuous or just plain scary?

I do have a pick-me-up: the latest issue of Ms. Marvel is election-based and very positive. I don't know if G. Woodrow Wilson would have been as optimistic had she wrote the story a few weeks ago, but it's a nice one-shot. And check out Kamala Khan. When I heard that Marvel was creating a Pakistani-American Muslim girl and giving her Carol Danvers' old superhero identity, I figured that the series wouldn't last, she'd appear in a New Warriors relaunch, then fade into obscurity. I am happy that I was wrong about her. That girl is everywhere. I've read her stories from trade paperbacks via the library, I'm reading her in Champions, and she's going to be in an Inhumans-based comic coming out next year. I wouldn't consider myself Marvel-inclined, but it's like a factory for plucky heroines.

ETA: I got good news . . . CBS remembered that The Amazing Race is on the shelf, and they've slated it for an April launch. The odds of an epic thirtieth season are still shaky, but I'm trying to feel optimistic. And isn't that the point of this thread?

• Love 5
17 hours ago, potatoradio said:

Ha ha ha!! 

Keep it up, Chris Hayes: 

Poor Mittens!  He looks like the jock who ended up taking the ugliest girl in class to the prom despite talking shit about her all year long.  And, why?  Because her daddy paid him under the table.  Now, the jock has to worry about what all his friends ("Dude--WTF?!") are thinking and how they will go in on him later.  Even worse?  That prom picture will be in the school's year book for time in memoriam and will be posted on the girl's Facebook page for all to see.

As an added bonus, the ugliest girl in class is practically glowing in this photo.  Meanwhile, the bile threatens to rise in her date's throat every time he has to compliment her and reassure her that while his real girlfriend, Ann, was the prettiest girl in class, Trumpina is, indeed, the fairest of them all.

• Love 13

Sad, right? The secretary of state of an out-of-touch millionaire is going to be . . . an out-of-touch billionaire who actually got sunk by a hidden tape. Well, it's either him or Ghouliani. Maybe he figures that he can steer the boat away from the iceberg.

If it wasn't for term limits, would Obama have won? When you think about it, would he have triumphed over Dubya in 2008? It's a bit sad that the competition we got for Washington was Mitt, McCain, and Alan Keyes.

• Love 1

There was an article/poll in 2014 that showed if the Obama/Romney matchup took place then, Romney would have won. Would Obama have hypothetically lost also in 2016? In this "We want change, no matter how stupid it is" environment, probably. Against Donald Trump? Probably not. Like I've always said, if Trump or Clinton had gone up against literally anyone else, that other person would have won in a landslide.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Sad, right? The secretary of state of an out-of-touch millionaire is going to be . . . an out-of-touch billionaire who actually got sunk by a hidden tape. Well, it's either him or Ghouliani. Maybe he figures that he can steer the boat away from the iceberg.

If it wasn't for term limits, would Obama have won? When you think about it, would he have triumphed over Dubya in 2008? It's a bit sad that the competition we got for Washington was Mitt, McCain, and Alan Keyes.

Yep.

Very good question. Who knows?

• Love 1

Just saw this on Tumblr, via billoreilly's site. I don't support him, but it's still an interesting quiz. Just took it and got 22/25. Not too bad for being out of school for so long. It's good to see that I still remember what I learned.

23/25. I missed 5 and 8. Yeah, I know. I should know better. I think I was going too quickly at first. Like, I picked 100 senators and 2 years. 

Also, some of the way these questions are phrased and the answers are super leading. It's an internet quiz. Do have to be furthering your agenda even on an internet quiz?

Wall Street Wins Again as Trump Picks Bankers, Billionaires

Hedge fund manager Whitney Tilson was feeling happy Wednesday morning.

After Donald Trump ridiculed Wall Street on the campaign trail, the President-elect tapped former Goldman Sachs Group Inc. executive Steven Mnuchin to be his Treasury secretary and billionaire investor Wilbur Ross to lead the Commerce Department. Trump even met with Goldman Sachs President Gary Cohn inside Trump Tower.

It would suit Tilson just fine if voters who backed Trump because he promised to rein in Wall Street are furious now that he’s surrounding himself with bankers and billionaires.

“I can take glee in that -- I think Donald Trump conned them,” said Tilson, who runs Kase Capital Management. “I worried that he was going to do crazy things that would blow the system up. So the fact that he’s appointing people from within the system is a good thing.”

• Love 1
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

23/25. I missed 5 and 8. Yeah, I know. I should know better. I think I was going too quickly at first. Like, I picked 100 senators and 2 years. 

Also, some of the way these questions are phrased and the answers are super leading. It's an internet quiz. Do have to be furthering your agenda even on an internet quiz?

I picked that too! The senators one.

Yea I noticed that. Really, Bill? 

3 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Just saw this on Tumblr, via billoreilly's site. I don't support him, but it's still an interesting quiz. Just took it and got 22/25. Not too bad for being out of school for so long. It's good to see that I still remember what I learned.

25/25.  I'd tell my mom (AP US History teacher) except it was BillO's site and she'd be disappointed.

• Love 5
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

25/25.  I'd tell my mom (AP US History teacher) except it was BillO's site and she'd be disappointed.

Yea same with my mom. I just did it for practice and to brush up. Had to spray on some anti-BillO spray before taking it.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Yea same with my mom. I just did it for practice and to brush up. Had to spray on some anti-BillO spray before taking it.

I'd tell my dad (he was an accountant, but always wanted to work in government), but he's dead.  If he weren't, he'd watch BillO, in addition to Rachel and Lawrence and Chris Hayes, just because he was a total political junkie.  He'd love this as his life motto was "I don't want to die because I want to see how bad it can get."

I miss him.

• Love 8