Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Sharon Lawrence is still as beautiful as she was on NYPD Blue.  One would think that Jamie and Eddie's take down of the perps would be enough to get him a promotion.  Joe's girl reminded me of a Trump daughter.

• Love 3

I'm glad that Eddie moved on, and I liked what she said about not needing a consolation prize when her boyfriend breaks up with her. It's a lot better than having her moon over Jamie, who, interestingly, was the one who really felt awkward about the double date. To me it seems that Jamie's the one who's not letting go. But that's fine. 

I suppose since this show caters to an older audience, the writers had to explain why being a cop was different for Eddie than it was for Jamie (really, show, that had to be spelled out in 2017?). 

• Love 2
On 1/22/2017 at 1:11 AM, Lillybee said:

Sharon Lawrence is still as beautiful as she was on NYPD Blue.  

I thought her skin looked great but her false eyelash caterpillars looked like they were about to crawl off her face. They were very distracting. 

• Love 1

While investigating the murder of a man who killed a mother and son years earlier while driving drunk, Danny and Baez are torn between doing their job and finding justice after discovering the connection between the suspect and the victim. Also, Anthony is conflicted when Erin asks him to wear a wire to incriminate his old friend who is involved with the Russian mob.

• Love 1

For a show that regularly requires the suspension of disbelief, this was a new low water mark. They didn't need a confession from the gang leader. They had a credible eyewitness who immediately picked him out of a photo lineup and they had the testimony from the PO that she had lied to give the guy an alibi. I'm not a lawyer but I have to think that this was plenty to get an ex-con gang leader convicted. Instead they got the PO killed -  nice work Danny.

• Love 2

Jamie's story was the most interesting to me.   Everyone seems to feel he is stuck in his job including me. Jamie explained perfectly why he is happy being on the shop floor.  At the family dinner when talking about his brother joe I did wonder if he changed his mind.  

• Love 2

f03511a2a03a2e87da4d537a05a8.jpeg

When Linda's brother, Jimmy, gets into trouble with the mob, he begs Danny to help him stay safe until it blows over. Also, Frank faces a public relations nightmare when the lawyer of a wrongfully arrested man demands that NYPD officers' disciplinary records be made public, and Nicky goes on a ride-along with Jamie.

Source

Edited by CooperTV
Adding the link to the trailer
3 hours ago, tribeca said:

Jamie's story was the most interesting to me.   Everyone seems to feel he is stuck in his job including me. Jamie explained perfectly why he is happy being on the shop floor.  At the family dinner when talking about his brother joe I did wonder if he changed his mind.  

The entire Jamie plot seemed like a response to fans who have wondered why Jamie is still walking (or driving!) a beat.  I liked the story - the explanation was just gravy on top!

• Love 5

I'm glad Jamie finally had a storyline that's not about his unbearable "romantic" tension with Eddie. It's not as if I'm Jamie's biggest fan but I'm glad the show finally addressed "Jamie deserves better" issue people were complaining about for years. Jamie and Frank had some good scenes together, and I was glad the fact they're father and son shined through at the end, since it was really awkward throughout the episode.

They dragged Robert Sean Leonard into this, didn't they? (as the Cinemasins guys would inevitably say about this guest star trick). And they wasted every minute of his presence, congrats on that! Although I'm glad Danny and Baez had a brilliant idea to use the beautiful ruthless DILF lawyer to exonerate their primary suspect.

Those donuts looked so good, Erin. You should brought more after you yelled a lot at poor Anthony. That Russian mob booking shenanigans were kinda weak and not very engaging, though.

PS: Baker is in labor!

• Love 2

Meh, nice try to justify why Jamie's not getting a promotion but I'm not buying it. We all know he keeps being a beat-cop because the show requires a beat-cop. I can easily picture Frank going after a cop not living up to his potential (and that's basically what Jamie is doing) in full pontificating mood quoting the Sermon on the Mount, Cicero and what-have-you-not to get his point across.

Danny and Baez's plot was interesting - for once watching them trying to figure out how to get someone off the hook was a nice change of pace. I liked the scene between Erin and Danny - for once not yelling at each other but trying to work together.

And dammit, is poor Baker still in labor?

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4
On 2/11/2017 at 5:55 PM, bounnatalie said:

If there is a large, unmarked bright blue, van/ice cream truck close by, someone is wearing a wire.

Don't forget the other television shows over used phone, cable or electric company trucks!

Edited by Texasmom1970
mispelling
  • Love 6

When Selleck's Frank said he would be where Estes' Jamie is if he had it to do over, I thought, now for consistency episode to episode -- as in no more smashed wedding cake. "Shop Steward" has potential. Union boss? 

I liked feeling the writers address the fans in a real way & in a way that made sense to the betterment of the narrative, i.e. doing their job. When I read that teeny bopper Vanessa Ray interview in which Ray said that one of the writers likened Jamie & Eddie to Billy Crystal's Harry & Meg Ryan's Sally, I thought to myself, "these writers don't get out enough." 

Dead Poet RSL is always a treat. I continue to enjoy the Erin & Anthony dynamic & the way Jamie's nephews skipped to mouthy Nikki as next to marry & have a kid, to Erin's consternation, made me smile. Lone wolf is preferable for me to another loudmouth at the table. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Don't forget the other television show over used phone, cable or electric company trucks!

right! I was cracking  up because it was so obvious and I thought I had seen the same truck in other episodes!

• Love 2

When Frank and Jamie had "the talk" I said out loud "FINALLY!"   There have been bits and pieces thrown out that Jamie is meant for more, but it feels that Frank and the show are holding him back because they need one in the family to be "the beat cop only."  I don't know if I liked that it had to be tied back to Joe (who the writers suddenly remembered was a family member even though he's been dead from the start) but if it means it finally brings the issue out in the open, so be it.  This was the first show shot in 2017 and they are currently in the process of shooting the 150th episode (!!) so I HOPE that the end game in for the season that Jamie WILL set out to go for more.  (Also, no Eddie!) 

For a Brian Burns written episode, I didn't hate it, so it's a plus.  I am really enjoying Anthony with Erin together.  And the Danny/Baez case wasn't a complete open and shut.  It was open but left a crack open for the perp to skate by.  

If there is a large, unmarked bright blue, van/ice cream truck close by, someone is wearing a wire.

SERIOUSLY.   Talk about hiding in plain sight. 

• Love 5
21 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Meh, nice try to justify why Jamie's not getting a promotion but I'm not buying it. We all know he keeps being a beat-cop because the show requires a beat-cop. I can easily picture Frank going after a cop not living up to his potential (and that's basically what Jamie is doing) in full pontificating mood quoting the Sermon on the Mount, Cicero and what-have-you-not to get his point across.

I'm not really buying it either, And the most frustrating thing is that the writers don't seem to realize there are ways that they can promote him without changing the basic structure of the show and indeed it would open up new stories and creative possibilities for a show that has reached a point where it really needs them. If you make him a patrol Sergeant or a training officer he would still be on the street, and you could still tell all the same stories you do now as far as dealing with victims, street crime, etc. and you could also tell new stories about him mentoring young cops, having to enforce some policy of Frank's that is unpopular with the rank and file, adjusting to a new role, etc. And Frank's speech annoyed me not because of any hypocrisy because I hate it when the show portrays that he was never ambitious but just kept getting promoted because he was so awesome and would be happy to be driving an RMP in Staten Island.

• Love 5

Perhaps not ambition, but a desire to provide for his family drove Frank up the ranks? Looking backward & at the cost of the climb, the morose Frank could think Jamie has the right idea. Jamie is, at least for now, a lone wolf. You can "do you" when there is no one else to worry about... Also, Jamie has the security side hustle. That apartment is really quite nice & full of nice things. 

That said, I will be ticked if Jamie is Sully from Third Watch at the end of the show. I want upward mobility in the uniform too. 

• Love 3

There are ways to stay in touch with the beat cop angle and still advance: be an officer in charge of beat cops; a training officer like the guy who was training Jamie; do one of those special operations he was asked to handle before.  Wasn't he asked to work on a program for beat cops to deal with the mentally ill or some sort of special needs?  I'm sure there are lots of ways to retain that beat cop feel and still advance.  Not everyone advances only by becoming a detective.

I can't believe they can't find some position with more responsibility for a Harvard Law School grad.

• Love 3

I can see why Jamie is happy where he is, out of all his family members he is the one who loves engaging with people on a daily basis. I think a good use if Jamie's education would be him working part-time or even volunteering at a legal aid organization, or even working at a shelter providing legal advice. Thank you to whoever the writer was , who decided to have a Jamie plot without the whole Eddie drama. Please writers let it stay that way. Why does Danny always have to do everything thing the hard way? If I was Maria I would be spoon feeding the suspect his excuse too. I guess Erin is supposed to be the female version of Frank, with all her pontificating. Girl bye.. it was more complicated than his friend just being a bad guy. Then again like her father the rules can only be broken if it serves them. 

• Love 2
On Wednesday, February 08, 2017 at 0:09 PM, FiveString said:

For a show that regularly requires the suspension of disbelief, this was a new low water mark. They didn't need a confession from the gang leader. They had a credible eyewitness who immediately picked him out of a photo lineup and they had the testimony from the PO that she had lied to give the guy an alibi. I'm not a lawyer but I have to think that this was plenty to get an ex-con gang leader convicted.

Erin's boss is one of many DA's who won't take a case to trial unless it's a sure thing. A "preponderance of evidence" is only sufficient in civil court. That's why she's always arguing with Danny that she needs more proof. And in reality, if the result is not a conviction, the charges can never be refiled no matter how much evidence turns up later due to double jeopardy -- you can't appeal a "not guilty" verdict.

• Love 2

Well, for once Danny and his partner acted like actual murder police in their investigation. What a pleasant surprise. Usually they're hauling the suspect into the box before they have anything, beating suspects and all sorts of other ridiculous horseshit. This week they did it mostly right. Pull his cell records first, gather video evidence, etc. Paint the picture ahead of time then haul him in and charge him.

My biggest beef was the security camera at the crime scene....that was actually a motion sensor for the floodlights. Meanwhile, if you look at a long shot of the alley where they found the vic, there was an actual real-life security camera! Yes, I look for those in TV crime scenes! But don't get me started on that moron TARU video tech. You cannot "enhance" security video that clearly. When will Hollywood ever stop with that ridiculous trope? Even a HD surveillance camera won't give you a tag on a moving car or much in the way of facial features unless everything lines up just so. Protip: Unless the video is near perfect, most of the time video surveillance images are used to try and trick the suspect into making a confession or giving a statement where he might otherwise lawyer up. Any competent defense attorney could pick apart a run of the mill video, especially if it's SD.

As for Jamie, I found his story plausible, for the reasons others have said; namely having a patrol officer in the story. I do hope he gets his gold shield soon, though. Or failing that, some position that might let him FINALLY have an excuse to boff Eddie. Yes, I like her and she'd be good for him, but just stop playing are they/aren't they on the show. Break them up once and for all, or put them together and get her to the dinner table on S.I.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 3

You cannot "enhance" security video that clearly. When will Hollywood ever stop with that ridiculous trope? 

Isn't Hollywood still using loud clicks for keyboard strokes? And 20-point fonts on screens? And how about how people in film only need to hit a few keys to bring up someone's record, search a database, etc?

I like Eddie, too, but feel that the show has closed the door on their having a relationship. Or at least it seems that window of opportunity has closed in Eddie's mind. 

I think I liked this episode mostly because Frank was handling yet another explosive situation.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 2
On 2/13/2017 at 0:51 AM, Bobbin said:

Erin's boss is one of many DA's who won't take a case to trial unless it's a sure thing. A "preponderance of evidence" is only sufficient in civil court. That's why she's always arguing with Danny that she needs more proof. And in reality, if the result is not a conviction, the charges can never be refiled no matter how much evidence turns up later due to double jeopardy -- you can't appeal a "not guilty" verdict.

I'd buy that if we ever saw or heard about any conversation between the detectives and the DA's office about this case (which I have to think any jury would find plenty strong to convict). Danny just decided that they needed a confession, wired up the PO and watched her get killed.

• Love 1

Jamie and Eddie suspect foul play when they respond to a distress call from a woman having an allergic reaction to her lifesaving medication, and learn that her husband is an EMT assigned to take her call, but didn’t respond. Also, Erin learns that a man she convicted years earlier might be innocent of the crime, and Frank handles a PR crisis in his department when an exposé on Garrett Moore is published.

I went "Oh no, Nikki in the subplot with Eddie and Jamie, that's going to be insufferable" so quick. Yeah, Nikki was a dumbass, and all her sudden insight on "real life" she have never seen is random, since she was kidnapped by the serial killer last year and everything, so she should be smarter. But I also had very limited sympathy towards the abused woman. Lady, you refused to deal with your problems and you abusive home situation and basically forced your 12-year-old child to do your dirty work and then blame some rando 19-years-old your life is a mess? Give me a break. I hope Child Protective Service is onto that idiot. She deserves nothing less.

The Linda's brother thing was... fine. The brother was a dick for bringing the mob to Danny and Linda's doorstep, and I was expecting them just killing him off but alas, no. Not surprised Linda doesn't talk with her family more often. I'd stick to the Reagans, if I'd had a brother like that.

Lol, Gerry, what did you think would happened when you tried to threaten Frank with those sealed files? You should know better by now!

The dinner was a solemn affair, I liked that.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, CooperTV said:

I went "Oh no, Nikki in the subplot with Eddie and Jamie, that's going to be insufferable" so quick.

Me too. But it actually turned out pretty well I thought. As usual the writing missed some opportunities, but it was a different spin on the "Jamie getting too involved with a case" plot and kept them away from the half baked Sam and Diane with a badge nonsense.

The Linda's brother thing was... fine. The brother was a dick for bringing the mob to Danny and Linda's doorstep, and I was expecting them just killing him off but alas, no. Not surprised Linda doesn't talk with her family more often. I'd stick to the Reagans, if I'd had a brother like that.

Lol, Gerry, what did you think would happened when you tried to threaten Frank with those sealed files? You should know better by now!

Yeah it was solid, but pretty much by the numbers. I liked it, but it really shows the need to freshen things up a bit. They need to actually let Jamie grow and do something new since Danny and Frank can't really change. And we need a lot more Erin and not just with Anthony. She is usually one of the best and most interesting parts of the episodes this season and she was this week too.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

They need to actually let Jamie grow and do something new since Danny and Frank can't really change.

Jamie is stuck, as far as the show is concerned, and they wrote it like being a beat cop is the only place he can see himself in ten years. Poor Jamie, I'd like for him to at least be a sergeant and get away from Eddie, if not stop being on the streets.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Artsda said:

I couldn't get over the fact Johnny Drama was Danny's brother-in-law. lol 

Donnie Wahlberg was long thought to be the "real life" Johnny Drama (it was a family friend) so you can imagine the meta of it all:

As for the episode...I think the Nicky part sort of got me worked up.  First, they sort of ignored the fact she went on an unplanned ride along with Danny in season 1 (the one where a debutante was killed and Nicky was traumatized by it even though she didn't stay in the car.)  Then she sort of nosed her way into the domestic dispute by leaving her phone number, then is shocked that things fell apart.  Yes, the mother should have done something sooner but I'm more surprised that for someone who really aspired to be a cop and is fully aware of the "family business", she didn't know better.  At least they put a lid on the Jamko plot for a while and Eddie was an all business cop for a change.

The Linda's brother thing was... fine. The brother was a dick for bringing the mob to Danny and Linda's doorstep, and I was expecting them just killing him off but alas, no.

The made people were generous towards Jimmy on that end.  Bringing it to Danny and Linda's door though...ugh.  I wasn't a fan.

Edited by mtlchick
clarify a sentence.
  • Love 2

The dinner was a solemn affair, I liked that.

The supper scenes have always been my favorite part of the show. This particular scene seemed extremely heavy-handed in the talking-around-the-point kind of way. 

I was disappointed with the way they wrote Nikki in this episode. She was extraordinarily impetuous, too much for someone her age who has the family she has and the experiences she's had. 

• Love 3

I'm normally pretty neutral about Nicky, but man did she bug this episode. Interfering with police work, making it harder for Jaimie and Janko to do their job. Then not listening to neither her mom nor her uncle (both with plenty of experience) who told her to stay out of it.  And when things go south she sobs a bit but by dinnertime she's back being her normal insufferable self.

And as if that's not bad enough all Frank has to say is 'you made a misstep' - no that wasn't a misstep it was a major screw-up on many levels and I can't believe she did not have to face any repercussions. She claims to be an adult who knows better than the real adults yet when push comes to shove she's treated like a toddler.

I might have been okay with this storyline had she shown any real contrition and some lasting regret. Any signs that she had learned a lesson.

• Love 11
18 hours ago, Artsda said:

I couldn't get over the fact Johnny Drama was Danny's brother-in-law. lol 

Nikki was insufferable know it all like always who has no idea when to shut up.

And he's (Johnny Drama) still a big pain in the ass. They should pair him up with Nikki.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1

Let me start on a positive note, no Jamie/Eddie drama. Thank you writers! I understand Niki wanted to help, but her trying to do Jamie's job for him, made the situation worse. It was up to the victim to decide whether or not she wanted to leave her abusive husband, ultimately her son made that decision for her. I don't think Niki fully understands the ramifications of her actions. Her uncle and mother told her to stay out of it, she should have listened. The whole Frank storyline felt like a rinse and repeat, where someone calls him out on something, Frank is the victor, then pontificates to the person who called him out. 

Edited by spunky
Spelling error
  • Love 3

If anyone else had done what Niki did, there could have been charges.  No one brought that up or the writers didn't follow thru.  Also, the non hug when she came into Franks office should have told us there was something else going on.  Hope they don't follow up with this unless they can make it REALLY interesting

• Love 2
1 hour ago, stuckin60s said:

If anyone else had done what Niki did, there could have been charges.  No one brought that up or the writers didn't follow thru.  Also, the non hug when she came into Franks office should have told us there was something else going on.  Hope they don't follow up with this unless they can make it REALLY interesting

The non-hug was actually that Nikki was mad that her drive along was with Uncle Jamie until Frank explained that if she went with anyone else they'd be on best behavior "putting on a show" because she was the PC's granddaughter and she wouldn't see a real day-in-the-life.

Still the wide eyed, optimist, fix the world, college student thing is getting old.  She's been kidnapped by a serial killer, she saw her first body while in high school (by, again, not listening and not staying in Uncle Danny's car) and she's heard stories at the family table for years, she should know exactly what "real world" is.  I think the years of say anything everyone gets a voice Sunday dinners contributed to her current attitude and either the writers need to pull back on her character or have her reigned in by others as a story line on the show...basically she just speaks out at all times like she's at family dinner, no filter, no tact, no diplomacy.  Last night getting yelled at by the abused wife was a reality check upside the head that she needed; but will she be shown to learn anything from it.

• Love 4

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think people are being a bit too hard on Nikki here. It's not that I disagree really, I just don't think she deserves to be singled out for following her family's example. Remember that only 5 episodes ago the experienced professionals in that room with her were getting overly involved in a family situation and making things worse. And that it wasn't the first time for either of them. And yes she's been hearing about the system and the "real world", but she's also been watching and hearing her family talk about riding to the rescue and crusading against all the problems of the world and often winning. In general all the criticisms are right, but it's not really fair to blame the character for the faults of the writers.

• Love 3

I usually hate NIkki with a passion, and I still do.  At the same time, I don't see how she is at fault here.  Yes, she overstepped by providing her phone number, but it's not her fault the husband was beating the shit out of his wife to the point their 12 year old son felt he had to step in and stab his dad.  That would have happened eventually, since that man was beating up on his wife regularly to the point the  neighbors were calling the cops.  Just a matter of time before something bad happened.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, izabella said:

I usually hate NIkki with a passion, and I still do.  At the same time, I don't see how she is at fault here.  Yes, she overstepped by providing her phone number, but it's not her fault the husband was beating the shit out of his wife to the point their 12 year old son felt he had to step in and stab his dad.  That would have happened eventually, since that man was beating up on his wife regularly to the point the  neighbors were calling the cops.  Just a matter of time before something bad happened.

If you ask police officers or social workers they will always tell you that domestic violence cases are extremely volatile and difficult to handle. The best thing you can do until the victim decides to take action is deescalation. Nikki interfered several times and each time she aggravated the situation, and she ignored what people with more experience were telling her. She was extremely lucky things were not escalating even more because of her meddling. Yes, it's quite possible the abusive husband would have gone after his wife anyway. But Nikki's help did not diffuse but accelerate the situation. Abusive jerk got increasingly frustrated with her interference until the situation got out of hand.

And how exactly did she think she could help by providing her phone number? Did she plan to waltz all by herself in that apartment once the woman called and rescue her and the children? She is not able to offer any substantial help because she's not a social worker or a police officer. The woman was perfectly capable of getting help if she really wanted to, she knew her options. Nikki leaving her number was just ego-tripping of the worst kind.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

If you ask police officers or social workers they will always tell you that domestic violence cases are extremely volatile and difficult to handle. The best thing you can do until the victim decides to take action is deescalation. Nikki interfered several times and each time she aggravated the situation, and she ignored what people with more experience were telling her. She was extremely lucky things were not escalating even more because of her meddling. Yes, it's quite possible the abusive husband would have gone after his wife anyway. But Nikki's help did not diffuse but accelerate the situation. Abusive jerk got increasingly frustrated with her interference until the situation got out of hand.

And how exactly did she think she could help by providing her phone number? Did she plan to waltz all by herself in that apartment once the woman called and rescue her and the children? She is not able to offer any substantial help because she's not a social worker or a police officer. The woman was perfectly capable of getting help if she really wanted to, she knew her options. Nikki leaving her number was just ego-tripping of the worst kind.

As a Social Worker, I completely agree. The victims have to be the ones to ask for help, until then we work with them to the best of our ability. Some victims leave their abuser several times, before leaving them for good. Niki seemed to be frustrated by the fact that the wife was being abused, the children were terrified, and Jamie stating there was nothing that could be done. Her frustration and her eagerness to help, took the place of rational thought. Hopefully now she will be written as someone who has learned from her experience, and will use critical thinking in the future.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, izabella said:

What kind of charges?  If Jamie or Eddie had left one of their cards with the wife, would it be different? 

I don't think Nikki should be charged with anything more, than maybe being a pain in the ass. But she is a just a civilian. In my eyes it is different if a police officer leaves their card in an official capacity.

What bugged me in the B-plot was that Frank essentially acknowledged that the cop who attacked the rapper was in the wrong, had done it before, and was "being encouraged" to leave the force, and considered it handled. (As did the lawyer.)

So basically letting a racist/bully cop off the hook, and possibly becoming some other force's problem (and was it just last season he had a big problem when someone else did that to him, and a bad cop killed the guy with a choke hold?)

• Love 1
On 2/18/2017 at 7:08 AM, wknt3 said:

it was a different spin on the "Jamie getting too involved with a case" plot and kept them away from the half baked Sam and Diane with a badge nonsense.

It was interesting to see Nikki acting more like Jamie, and Jamie acting more like Erin. Yours may be my favorite description of Jamie and Eddie ever.

On 2/18/2017 at 7:13 AM, CooperTV said:

I'd like for him to at least be a sergeant

Me too. I would love to see him in a position similar to Anthony Renzulli. It would be fascinating to see how Jamie deals with conflict and what his style of leadership would be. It would be wonderful to see him visit his father and grandfather to get their advice on leadership and how to deal with the situations he would face in that role.

• Love 1