Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Diggle is free!!! Finally! Ahem... Jaimie solves a major case, nobody cares because he still wants to remain at the shop floor making barstools so why even bother with this plot?

Danny puts himself in the crosshair of a Mexican cartel (because he's never watched a crime show) and then gets all sullen with God because having his family alive and hale isn't good enough (again: never watched a crime show).

Let's see who's insane enough to run for Mayor next season.

• Love 2

So I saw an interview with the show's EP on EW. It's interesting seeing what they say they were going for and what actually ended up on screen so I'm including it with my thoughts here and will be talking about it a bit.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/05/blue-bloods-season-finale-ep-breaks-down-dannys-cartel-problem-mayors-exit/
(Note: possible spoilers for Season 8, but given the gap between intent and execution in what's already come, talking about what's planned may not mean anything.)

It was nice to see Jamie on his own. Addition by subtraction. I'm not sure this plot was as big as they thought it was, but it was certainly competently done and compared the self-parody of the cartel plot it looks like Hill Street Blues or Homicide: LOTS. It was nice to see Henry outside of Sunday dinner, but it would have been nice if they gave him a little bit more. Maybe a line about how reducing crimes against the elderly was one of his signature accomplishments as commissioner or being driven out because of his failing on a similar case. It would have come off a little less Grandpa Simpson than what we got. I can't believe that they seem to see this as advancing Jamie's story - we know he is smart, has good instincts, and would be a good detective. This isn't anything new or interesting and pointing out that he's still a beat cop when you aren't going to do anything about it isn't character growth. And if you were going to write out Mayor Poole this way why bother with the whole "Frank and the mayor go to war" plot? It seems like a big waste. It's also more than a bit insulting to the character that this is too much for him. But I guess it fits some of the show's larger themes. That only cops can deal with challenges like dealing with senseless violence or random crimes. So politicians and civilians should just let them do whatever they want. And that if you are a Black politician who ran on the idea of hope and didn't solve everything you are a failure and should quit. At least David Ramsey is going on to better things.

As far as Danny and the cartel what a mess. So apparently they were going for his character getting a comeuppance for all the times he's crossed lines or been an arrogant jerk. Which is a great idea. A fantastic idea. Something I would love to see. But it's undercut by the fact that everybody along the way telling him he's totally right, a great cop, doing God's work, etc. And Erin getting chewed out for pointing out that they can't violate the Constitution based on Danny's wishes alone. Danny's house getting burned down by the cartel doesn't do that. If you want to do that plot, have his informant get killed. Or the DEA agent. Let us hear that one of the cartel bosses that they were going to go after killed an NYPD narcotics detective in an attack on a US consulate and now they don't have the hook to go after him. What we actually saw was super detective Danny Reagan being right while everybody was wrong, being attacked by evil gangsters, and then being upset like anyone would be. And I would bet good money we won't see any changes going forward.

• Love 6

i think I am in the minority.   there were too many story lines in this episode.  jamies story could have been the entire hour.  Erins story kinda was stopped before it started. and Danny's story line was too short for the finale of the house burning down.  Did think the boys are really growing

Who is the central star of Blue Bloods, Seleck or Wahlberg?  It seems the descriptions in the guide all start off with "Danny...".   Geez, I'm sick of watching him run all over the borough in that stupid Columbo black trench coat.  

I wish they'd just rotate each character with a main story every week instead of trying to give everybody screen time.

Jaime catching the serial killer should have been front page news from the way everybody was carrying on about the deaths.  Yet, they made it seem like it was just part of the job.   Jaime will probably never make detective.  That's why they did that little song and dance a few weeks ago about bar stools.  Danny will be the only detective-Reagan in the family.  Retired PC, Active PC, Detective, and Patrol.  There's nowhere for anybody to go. 

The show may have a couple of more good seasons.  I can't see it lasting much longer than that.  Is Nikki going to a community college?  Why is she at the Big House for Sunday dinner every week?  What happens when Danny's boys go off to college?  I think the older son is suppose to be a high school senior?  I know they don't want to mess with the "Family Sunday Dinner" as Seleck has said that's one thing he really likes about the show.  But as some point attractive adult children should get partners, kids start dating.  You can't have everybody coming to Sunday dinner forever with no life changes!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Evagirl said:

I wish they'd just rotate each character with a main story every week instead of trying to give everybody screen time.

Is Nikki going to a community college?  Why is she at the Big House for Sunday dinner every week? 

I like that there's three main storylines each week. There's a Frank story, a Danny story, and a wild card which is usually Erin or Jamie. Sometimes Erin or Jamie will be part of Danny's story, and Henry is often part of Frank's story. 

Nikki is at Columbia University, which although an Ivy League school, is geographically close, so it's a short car or subway ride for Sunday night dinners. 

On April 30, 2017 at 9:35 PM, NJRadioGuy said:

Think Commissioner Dad would be pleased to see how poorly his Detective First Grade son treated visiting detectives, and representatives from a foreign agency that the NYPD will undoubtedly have to work with frequently in anti-terror investigations? I can tell you this much, any copper worth his salt would bend over backwards to befriend a foreign colleague. Lifelong friendships happen that way.

That's what would have happened if Jamie (if he ever becomes a detective) was the one who had to work with them. He would be interested in everything they had to tell them, and would have a rather intellectual (but friendly) debate about their differences (in terms of government and laws) with them over drinks. 

5 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Nikki is at Columbia University, which although an Ivy League school, is geographically close, so it's a short car or subway ride for Sunday night dinners.

Not exactly a "short" car or subway ride from Columbia to Bay Ridge! Using the show's location-house on Harbor Terrace to Columbia that's about 1h15 minutes by subway and express bus with no traffic. About the same by car, maybe less of the West Side Highway and the Gowanus aren't hemmed in solid <grin>. I just realized that the location-house is about 5 blocks away from one of my best friends apartment building! I think I'll take a little detour next time I go down there to visit.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/8/2017 at 9:15 AM, Evagirl said:

Jaime catching the serial killer should have been front page news from the way everybody was carrying on about the deaths.  Yet, they made it seem like it was just part of the job.

This whole serial killer plot made no sense.  We have a serial killer killing the elderly.  The serial killer was so bad that Henry had to show up at the police commissioner's office, interrupting a meeting, to tell him to catch the serial killer because someone they know was related to a victim.  Why does this show always think people they know should get special policing?  Did Henry think Frank wasn't trying to catch the serial killer?  He had to actually make a special trip downtown to tell someone he lives with to do his job.  Just stupid.  (OK, maybe he had a point, as one-man-police-force Danny wasn't working the serial killer case, Frank really wasn't prioritizing the case.) Then the Mayor.  He wants Frank to catch the serial killer.  Frank's response is that it is hard because it is hard to know from looking at someone that they are serial killers.  What!?  Of course it is hard to catch a serial killer.  It is always hard to catch a serial killer.  No, can't tell someone is a serial killer just by looking at them.  What are they even going on about?  Apparently, that this one serial killer can't be discerned is motivation for the Mayor to resign immediately.  The Mayor not showing up at the press conference announcing the capture is somehow a slight to Frank.  In the past the Mayor showing up would have been considered taking undeserved credit from Frank and the PD.  None of this made any sense to me, either.  But, contrary to what Frank said, Jamie does know just by looking at the guy that he is a serial killer, which totally blows Frank's whole spiel about not being able to tell the bad guys from the good guys.  Jamie, single-handedly, while off-duty no less, catches the serial killer and beyond a minor good job, nobody cares because Danny, Danny's cases, and the sufferings of Danny, are always more important then Jamie.  How many times has Jamie saved the city for it all to be soon forgotten?

My predictions for next season and beyond (some serious, some sarcastic): Danny and family move in with Frank and Henry, at least temporarily, while they find a new home.  Henry and Linda get on each other's nerves as to housekeeping and cooking.  The house next door to Frank becomes available and Danny and Linda buy it.  Lauren Velez joins the cast, perhaps as Danny's new partner.  Frank runs for Mayor.  Reverend Potter runs against him.  Race will be an issue.  Erin runs for DA against the sitting DA Graham.  (Thought she was going to do that before.)  Civil liberties will be the campaign issue.  Jamie continues to be a beat cop and disparaged by all for being a "lowly" beat cop while being shown to be too good to be a "lowly" beat cop.  Frank, of course, wins.  Erin also wins.  Frank, as Mayor, then appoints Jamie as the new commissioner, bypassing Danny.  Danny is OK with that as he wouldn't want to be in an office and have to deal with politics anyway.  The media and public are freaked out by the nepotism of promoting a beat cop to commissioner, but Frank, who always despised the aura of nepotism when it came to Jamie, doesn't care because Jamie is a Reagan and a Reagan is the only one qualified to be police commissioner.  Frank holds a press conference where he sneers at everyone and touts Jamie's Harvard law degree, his experience on the streets, and that there is nobody he trusts more, making him uniquely qualified for the job.  The furor, of course, dies down, withered by Frank's self-righteousness.  Danny continues to fight all crime in the city as a detective bending rules but doing the "right" thing.  He will run into conflict with Erin the DA and Jamie the commissioner, but Danny will be right, as usual.  Danny will look down upon Jamie, as usual, as he is no longer a street cop and is now out-of-touch.  At the same time, Danny will chafe at Jamie being his boss and will compare him not favorably to Frank.  Jamie will at times run into conflict with his dad the Mayor and Erin the DA.  Frank will always be right.  Frank will also have issues with the Governor, who will be female and someone with whom Frank had a relationship in the past.  Eddie will be tempted to have an affair with her new male partner as Jamie is not paying enough attention to her as he is too busy with work as PC.  Jamie marries Eddie, who remains a beat cop, so, since she is now a Reagan, we can still have beat cop stories.  Eddie Janko (-Reagan-she will keep her maiden name on the job so nobody will know she is the commissioner's wife) will push for promotion but Jamie wont promote her as he too will fear the aura of nepotism.  Jamie will also worry about his wife being in danger on the streets.  Garrett works for Frank in the Mayor's office and Sid works for Jamie in the commissioner's office, where they come into conflict.  Baker takes over for Garrett at One PP.  Sid wanted the PC job but soon comes to realize Frank made the right choice in Jamie.  If we get this far, Nicky graduates college and goes to law school.  Unlike her mom, she will want to be a criminal defense attorney like her dad.  Erin is unhappy about that and feels personally slighted.  Danny's boys go to Columbia like Nicky, with the thought that they will enter the Academy to become cops like the rest of the Reagans.  Nicky interns at the DAs office with her mom as DA.  She then converts to the prosecution side of things.  Further in the future, Nicky joins the DAs office and conflict ensues with her mom.  Sean and Jack become rookie police officers and are trained by Renzulli and Eddie Janko(-Reagan).  Eventually the Reagan boys become partners and Uncle Jamie refuses to promote them to detective though they deserve it because they too are great cops.  They will butt heads with ADA cousin Nicky Reagan-Boyle, who will care more about people's civil liberties.  Sunday dinners continue unabated.  And so on and so forth.  Blue Bloods forever!

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

This whole serial killer plot made no sense.  We have a serial killer killing the elderly.  The serial killer was so bad that Henry had to show up at the police commissioner's office, interrupting a meeting, to tell him to catch the serial killer because someone they know was related to a victim.  Why does this show always think people they know should get special policing?  Did Henry think Frank wasn't trying to catch the serial killer?  He had to actually make a special trip downtown to tell someone he lives with to do his job.  Just stupid.  Then the Mayor.  He wants Frank to catch the serial killer.  Frank's response is that it is hard because it is hard to know from looking at someone that they are serial killers.  What!?  Of course it is hard to catch a serial killer.  It is always hard to catch a serial killer.  No, can't tell someone is a serial killer just by looking at them.  What are they even going on about?  Apparently, that this one serial killer can't be discerned is motivation for the Mayor to resign immediately.  That made no sense to me, either.  But, contrary to what Frank said, Jamie does know just by looking at the guy that he is a serial killer, which totally blows Frank's whole spiel about not being able to tell the bad guys from the good guys.  Jamie, single-handedly, while off-duty no less, catches the serial killer and beyond a minor good job, nobody cares because Danny, Danny's cases, and the sufferings of Danny, are always more important then Jamie.  How many times has Jamie saved the city for it all to be soon forgotten?

Good insight Bazinga!  The entire show is just becoming stupider and stupider.  We knew going into this that the show would not portray actual reality.  But they're really pushing the envelope with us just like the scenarios you mentioned.  Break-the-rules Danny always catches the bad guys.  Lofty PC Frank always the voice of reason and sanity.  Dearly departed St. Joe, the one all Reagan boys aspire to be.  By-the-book ADA Erin who never has a problem asking citizens to put their lives on the line for truth, justice and the American way.  And Father Jamie, the good-cop Reagan who will let another cop receive the honor and recognition of saving a life that he Jamie saved because that's what Reagan's do, by golly!

• Love 4

I love that the show keeps telling us that Jamie should be a detective and yet just won't go through with it! Even the Wade EW interview was like, "Next season, either Eddie and Jamie will be detectives...or maybe something undercover." Come on, we all know it will be "maybe something else." 

For a while early on  Nicky missed dinner often because she was with her Dad, but then that stopped.  There was that one weekend getaway downtown for Linda and Danny, which Danny missed most of working- and they made it back for Sunday dinner.  Don't they ever go on vacation? 

Personally, I think every Sunday until after dark is a bit much to ask when everyone works long hours.  When do they get downtime? 

Linda is Italian and she has Sunday dinner at the in-laws every week?  I call foul unless her parents are dead.  NO way Italian parents would put up with that scenario.  I have Irish background, my husband is Italian (born in Italy, came to Canada as a child), and for the first 10 years of our marriage, until we moved away, almost every Sunday it was lunch (which was actually dinner) at his parents' place and dinner at my parents' house. 

On June 5, 2017 at 3:28 PM, 3 is enough said:

Linda is Italian and she has Sunday dinner at the in-laws every week?  I call foul unless her parents are dead.  NO way Italian parents would put up with that scenario.  I have Irish background, my husband is Italian (born in Italy, came to Canada as a child), and for the first 10 years of our marriage, until we moved away, almost every Sunday it was lunch (which was actually dinner) at his parents' place and dinner at my parents' house. 

Do we know if her family is local? It's possible her parents live far away and she moved to New York for work. She may not be able to see her family every weekend without a crazy long car drive or a flight. 

Do we know if her family is local? It's possible her parents live far away and she moved to New York for work. She may not be able to see her family every weekend without a crazy long car drive or a flight. 

I remember one episode when Danny talked about the "pretty Italian girl in high school that everyone wanted to date" so she is from the area.  Her parents may have moved away or died.  It has never been addressed. How convenient.

On 6/16/2017 at 0:39 PM, Sarah 103 said:

14 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I remember one episode when Danny talked about the "pretty Italian girl in high school that everyone wanted to date" so she is from the area.  Her parents may have moved away or died.  It has never been addressed. How convenient.

They are probably dead. It was a noble sacrifice for them taking the Curse of the Reagan Brides upon themselves and sparing their daughter from a tragic early death and Danny from a life sitting around wearing sweaters and drinking scotch. Or maybe my theory about Danny being a serial killer murdering inconvenient relatives and potential rivals for attention is correct and he offed them. Either way thinking about being involved with a Reagan man tends to lead to dying or disappearing leads me to think maybe Eddie and Jamie should hook up after all...

• Love 2

"This whole serial killer plot made no sense.  We have a serial killer killing the elderly.  The serial killer was so bad that Henry had to show up at the police commissioner's office, interrupting a meeting, to tell him to catch the serial killer because someone they know was related to a victim.  Why does this show always think people they know should get special policing?  Did Henry think Frank wasn't trying to catch the serial killer?  He had to actually make a special trip downtown to tell someone he lives with to do his job.  Just stupid.  (OK, maybe he had a point, as one-man-police-force Danny wasn't working the serial killer case, Frank really wasn't prioritizing the case.) Then the Mayor.  He wants Frank to catch the serial killer.  Frank's response is that it is hard because it is hard to know from looking at someone that they are serial killers.  What!?  Of course it is hard to catch a serial killer.  It is always hard to catch a serial killer.  No, can't tell someone is a serial killer just by looking at them.  What are they even going on about?  Apparently, that this one serial killer can't be discerned is motivation for the Mayor to resign immediately.  The Mayor not showing up at the press conference announcing the capture is somehow a slight to Frank.  In the past the Mayor showing up would have been considered taking undeserved credit from Frank and the PD.  None of this made any sense to me, either.  But, contrary to what Frank said, Jamie does know just by looking at the guy that he is a serial killer, which totally blows Frank's whole spiel about not being able to tell the bad guys from the good guys.  Jamie, single-handedly, while off-duty no less, catches the serial killer and beyond a minor good job, nobody cares because Danny, Danny's cases, and the sufferings of Danny, are always more important then Jamie.  How many times has Jamie saved the city for it all to be soon forgotten?

My predictions for next season and beyond (some serious, some sarcastic): Danny and family move in with Frank and Henry, at least temporarily, while they find a new home.  Henry and Linda get on each other's nerves as to housekeeping and cooking.  The house next door to Frank becomes available and Danny and Linda buy it.  Lauren Velez joins the cast, perhaps as Danny's new partner.  Frank runs for Mayor.  Reverend Potter runs against him.  Race will be an issue.  Erin runs for DA against the sitting DA Graham.  (Thought she was going to do that before.)  Civil liberties will be the campaign issue.  Jamie continues to be a beat cop and disparaged by all for being a "lowly" beat cop while being shown to be too good to be a "lowly" beat cop.  Frank, of course, wins.  Erin also wins.  Frank, as Mayor, then appoints Jamie as the new commissioner, bypassing Danny.  Danny is OK with that as he wouldn't want to be in an office and have to deal with politics anyway.  The media and public are freaked out by the nepotism of promoting a beat cop to commissioner, but Frank, who always despised the aura of nepotism when it came to Jamie, doesn't care because Jamie is a Reagan and a Reagan is the only one qualified to be police commissioner.  Frank holds a press conference where he sneers at everyone and touts Jamie's Harvard law degree, his experience on the streets, and that there is nobody he trusts more, making him uniquely qualified for the job.  The furor, of course, dies down, withered by Frank's self-righteousness.  Danny continues to fight all crime in the city as a detective bending rules but doing the "right" thing.  He will run into conflict with Erin the DA and Jamie the commissioner, but Danny will be right, as usual.  Danny will look down upon Jamie, as usual, as he is no longer a street cop and is now out-of-touch.  At the same time, Danny will chafe at Jamie being his boss and will compare him not favorably to Frank.  Jamie will at times run into conflict with his dad the Mayor and Erin the DA.  Frank will always be right.  Frank will also have issues with the Governor, who will be female and someone with whom Frank had a relationship in the past.  Eddie will be tempted to have an affair with her new male partner as Jamie is not paying enough attention to her as he is too busy with work as PC.  Jamie marries Eddie, who remains a beat cop, so, since she is now a Reagan, we can still have beat cop stories.  Eddie Janko (-Reagan-she will keep her maiden name on the job so nobody will know she is the commissioner's wife) will push for promotion but Jamie wont promote her as he too will fear the aura of nepotism.  Jamie will also worry about his wife being in danger on the streets.  Garrett works for Frank in the Mayor's office and Sid works for Jamie in the commissioner's office, where they come into conflict.  Baker takes over for Garrett at One PP.  Sid wanted the PC job but soon comes to realize Frank made the right choice in Jamie.  If we get this far, Nicky graduates college and goes to law school.  Unlike her mom, she will want to be a criminal defense attorney like her dad.  Erin is unhappy about that and feels personally slighted.  Danny's boys go to Columbia like Nicky, with the thought that they will enter the Academy to become cops like the rest of the Reagans.  Nicky interns at the DAs office with her mom as DA.  She then converts to the prosecution side of things.  Further in the future, Nicky joins the DAs office and conflict ensues with her mom.  Sean and Jack become rookie police officers and are trained by Renzulli and Eddie Janko(-Reagan).  Eventually the Reagan boys become partners and Uncle Jamie refuses to promote them to detective though they deserve it because they too are great cops.  They will butt heads with ADA cousin Nicky Reagan-Boyle, who will care more about people's civil liberties.  Sunday dinners continue unabated.  And so on and so forth.  Blue Bloods forever!"

Bazinga:  This?  Was amazing.  

You should write for the show.  Great follow through on the story lines, love the snark.

Just finished hate watching series 1 through 7 and agree so much with your takes on it.  

Still wondering about Danny's accent and why no one in this family has any friends or lovers, or any lovers that last anyway.  Seems like a quicksand family, once you're sucked in you must swallow the the family brainwashing that "Reagans don't stand down" (and how pretentious is that?) and the only one allowed a spouse is Danny.  Family rules, I guess.  And does this family never just talk about Aunt Sally and her weird friend?  Or how the neighbors pissed someone off?  Or anything that any other family talks about at a dinner table?  Why is Erin such a raging angry bitch to her daughter?  Her first response always indicates to me that she considers her daughter one millisecond away from a life of slattery and crime.  Why do those boys say they love their father when he is such an obvious absent angry man?  Again, why don't the grandchildren at least have any friends?  Who hasn't brought friends home to a family dinner?  Elitist, white privileged, isolationist, self righteous, all of them, IMO.  Disdain seems to be their fallback reaction.  Non-Reagan = wrong by default.  

And yep, I plan to hate watch season 8, I'm crazy. 

• Love 1
On 1/14/2017 at 8:57 PM, MzLiz said:

I like Jamie and Eddie and I think they have chemistry. I like their banter I was surprised to see the "boy scout" essentially suggest they sleep together. Jamie's always been my favorite character.

I felt bad the guy Danny was protecting got killed at the end. Ughhh.. 

I love this show. I love the Regan family. 

(I somehow missed this episode in the past so tonight is the first time I’ve watched it.)

i also like Jamie and Eddie - but I like them “as is,” best friends, loyal partners, and a little bit of flirting or romantic tension now and then. I think they complement each other without having to cross the line, and I like seeing a couple on TV have a good, strong relationship without having to jump into one another’s bed. 

I didn't like seeing Ernie get killed when he was trying so hard to rebuild his life. Bad show!

Now looking back in hindsight, I am wondering how early Amy had let on about her departure.  The fire scene was the last scene she shot.  Then I read the EW article posted above:

For Donnie, I think it’s going to be dealing with some family issues coming off of them basically losing everything and possibly something that I won’t go into now, but that may be a surprise at the beginning of season 8.

And it looks like they had a feeling they had to a resort to a Plan B if Amy didn't come back.

With the COVID quarantine in effect I've been working from home and I have the tv on for company. Never watched Blue Bloods before but a local channel runs several episodes every afternoon and it beats watching the news. They are currently airing season 7 so this seemed like a good place to leave a comment. 

Will Estes has wonderful bone structure. His cheekbones are just lovely.

That's it. That's the post. 🙂 

Hi Everyone, sorry if this is the wrong threa

I was wondering if anyone can help me please?

For series 1 Ep 10 when danny is driving in the car, whats the name of the song in the background, my nephew is driving me made to find out, pls

thanks