Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Up In Flames

• Start Topic

Always remember Muntz's panicked "FIRE!" bit.  Close the damn door!

In fairness, that did look like a pretty intense fire there.

Laughed pretty good at the gift saying Steve realized he left his rent-a-tie.

Literally did not notice the window Kelly and what's-her-face could have climbed out of.  90210 was really sloppily directed when it came to not hiding stuff.

• Love 2

The only aspect of this shitshow that was done refreshingly well in this episode and going forward is the casual treatment of Allison's Christianity. She has faith, but it's not treated as a point of contention/learning module or her entire personality. (Of course, being a lesbian is her entire personality, but hey, you're watching BHNiner.)

• Love 1

David had to be reminded who Emily Valentine is?  I mean, he was still on the fringes of the gang then, but he was present the night of U4EA (though super drunk), he was there when they were building the float and she and Brandon fought, etc.

Kelly picking up the Walshes' phone when there were Walshes in the room is ridiculous, but her assuming the long distance call was from Brenda and thus accepting the charges seemed relatively reasonable to me.

I literally said, "Thank you!" out loud when Tara made sure to note that, for all his talk, Brandon started banging Lucinda like two episodes after his trip to San Francisco.

I always enjoyed Val and Steve's friends who sometimes bone relationship and it kinda starts here.  But Val is still not getting enough fun stuff to do.

I must say, I do have a vivid memory of this cliffhanger from back in the day.

• Love 1

It is weird without the music. Not much happened with the cut Ray scene. Donna looking in love or whatever and the show planting the seed for Val to go after Ray.

Oh Emily, oh Christine. That hair....

The thing for me isn't the window. It is why Kelly didn't go to the secret bathroom first. 

• Love 1

I do like the chemistry between Brandon and Emily. So much better than him and Kelly, so much.

The phone thing. Thank you!!! It always irked me. You don't pick up someone's phone in house you don't live in. 

Not gonna lie but....

1. Alison maybe flirting with Clare right in front of your girlfriend isn't a good idea.

2. They really need to give Clare and David something to do. UFOs, sex tape, handcuffs, phehistoric internet, and hanging with Muntz. No wonder BAG looks like he's done and given up trying. Even Jesse has more to do than him.

3. I have never seen food at a rave before. Ever. Why Mexican food? Just get a shit load of KFC or whatever and problem solved.

• Love 4

To be fair, from that angle the window looks like it might be barred as many basement windows are, but I guess they could still break the glass and yell for help. 

Edited by MCMLXXVII
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I must say, I do have a vivid memory of this cliffhanger from back in the day.

I do too. I remember I had stupid CCD (sorry God) at the same time 90210 was on, so I recorded it on our VCR and rushed home to eat Taco Bueno and watch the most shocking episode of 90210 ever. In hindsight, Kelly was never at risk of being killed off, but I was 12, so I took this shit very seriously.

Edited by MerBearStare
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I'm no fire expert, but normally aren't folks killed by the smoke?  I remember the door nearly melting as the fire was coming.  Do Brandon and Emily have sex that night? Or was it just some kissing?

Just a lot of making out, ultimately.

• Love 1

I thought I remembered a little more HoYay between Kelly and Allison, but I guess it was just Allison's gf giving her the stinkeye the whole evening. And how stupid are Steve and Griffin? Even if you didn't realize there was a danger, you don't want to have to be babysitting the fuses all night. It looked like they were the old kind, too, that you had to actually replace each time, as opposed to just getting reset if they tripped. Well, anything for burritos on the dance floor!

• Love 1

I loathe Kelly. I mean, I really loathe Kelly. But man, this episode scared the hell out of me. I am terrified of fire...so much so, I won't eat at a hibachi restaurant!

I don't like what they did with Ray. It could have been so different. In episodes like this, he is such a stand-up guy.

• Love 3

I don't like what they did with Ray. It could have been so different. In episodes like this, he is such a stand-up guy.

Yep. I also don't like how they turn the lone "blue collar" kid into the wife-beating stereotype of the guy from the wrong side of the tracks. All they needed was to put him and Mama Pruitt into a double-wide.

But man, this episode scared the hell out of me. I am terrified of fire.

That fire WAS scary, but I would've thought they would've passed out before they were burned, right? And burning happens really fast - the firefighters must've been close to rescuing them or they both would have died horribly but quickly. I don't understand how this works, not that I want to find out...

Embarrassed to admit I had the same bangs + bob as Emily in the late 90s, dyed coppery red, and until today, thought it was actually a good lewk.

I'm sorry, there's no way your hair looked as bad as ol' Ems' monstrosity. I don't think anyone on a TV soap, no less, has ever had a more horrendous haircut. Not only was it ugly in general, it was like they weren't even trying to flatter her features. I think the best her hair looked was in the Thxgiving ep when it was a little longer. Some women look amazing with short hair (Halle Berry, Michelle Williams, to name a couple) but Christine Elise ain't one of them. Just no. 

...But I remember enjoying a little schadenfreude watching Kelly getting a taste of her own medicine with Brandon cheating on her, it was just too bad she had to be simultaneously almost burnt to death in a a fire and all...

• Love 8

Ah, this show... with the fire it full delved into its soapy goodness.  I love it. 

I am curious what my thoughts will be on Steve's "punishment" now that I'm an adult.  At the time, I had no idea about white-boy privilege in our legal system or just general liability.  We will soon be getting the famous "he be gone, he be outta here!", right? I wish Jesse had really torn into him about how much damage and pain they did-- and I wish Rush told him that at age 18/19, Steve is not a promoter.  Why can't he get a job at a coffeeshop or the campus bookstore like most college kids?

• Love 5

I was thinking about the Kelly answering the phone thing.  I think Kelly REALLY loved being part of the Walsh family, similar to how Dylan did.  I think she likes showing that too... like how she drops going to "Lake Minatonka" with the family or how she heard about Victor's suicide while hanging with the family.  Her answering the phone is the same... something only a Walsh will do.

Oddly enough, I've been married to my hubs for 14 years and known his family for about 18 total.  I still wouldn't answer my in-laws' phone ever.  I rarely answered my parents' phone after I moved out. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CurlyATX said:

I am curious what my thoughts will be on Steve's "punishment" now that I'm an adult.  At the time, I had no idea about white-boy privilege in our legal system or just general liability.  We will soon be getting the famous "he be gone, he be outta here!", right? I wish Jesse had really torn into him about how much damage and pain they did-- and I wish Rush told him that at age 18/19, Steve is not a promoter.  Why can't he get a job at a coffeeshop or the campus bookstore like most college kids?

Don't worry, he'll be sentenced to a week of work with Milton Berle

• Love 2

Literally did not notice the window Kelly and what's-her-face could have climbed out of.  90210 was really sloppily directed when it came to not hiding stuff.

I figured Kelly didn't care because she totally used Allison as a human shield when the flames broke through.  What I remember most about this storyline is the terrible part at some point where Allison falls in love with Kelly (because, why not?), and ends up staying with her after being released from the hospital before she returns to her home planet of Lesbonia (where 90210 characters go when we never hear from them again).  For whatever reason, this leads the gang to suspect that Kelly has become a lesbian, not because she actually expressed any interest in Allison, but simply because a lesbian was staying in her home.  

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

Oddly enough, I've been married to my hubs for 14 years and known his family for about 18 total.  I still wouldn't answer my in-laws' phone ever.  I rarely answered my parents' phone after I moved out. 

Hell, I rarely answer my own phone when it rings.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ions Earring said:

Don't worry, he'll be sentenced to a week of work with Milton Berle

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Uncle Miltie episode.  You know, I saw an aspect of that storyline used a few years ago on Hawaii Five-0.

The only time I ever answer a phone at someone's house is if they specifically ask me to (usually they are on the other side of their home).  I wouldn't presume otherwise to pick up someone else's phone.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I figured Kelly didn't care because she totally used Allison as a human shield when the flames broke through.  What I remember most about this storyline is the terrible part at some point where Allison falls in love with Kelly (because, why not?), and ends up staying with her after being released from the hospital before she returns to her home planet of Lesbonia (where 90210 characters go when we never hear from them again).  For whatever reason, this leads the gang to suspect that Kelly has become a lesbian, not because she actually expressed any interest in Allison, but simply because a lesbian was staying in her home.  

It's been awhile- did Kelly and Brandon officially break up because she was mad he was with Emily during the fire, or did they just "see other people"? They seemed perfectly fine before. I vaguely remember the Alison plot, then later Brandon and Dylan teaming up to save her from Finley's cult, and then "I choose me".

• Love 1

I could be wrong, but I don't think they break up until "I choose me". They stay together until then, then Alison returns after that at the end of the season, and Brandon does make a few snarky comments about Kelly being gay or something. It's been a while since I've rewatched season 5, so I might be a bit off.

They stay together until then, then Alison returns after that at the end of the season, and Brandon does make a few snarky comments about Kelly being gay or something.

From what I remember, Kelly goes to visit Allison at her home, and her girlfriend informs Kelly that Allison has left her due to her love for Kelly.  It's absurd, but also hilarious.  Kelly Taylor: Shaggy Haired Temptress.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Ok, even as a little kid learning about fire safety in school, I remember the one thing the firefighters always told us was to touch the door handle/doorknob of a door before opening, because if it was hot it meant fire was on the other side. How in the hell did Muntz not burn the shit out of his hand opening that door? 

• Love 4

Regarding the Allison thing. If I can recall

This is after she dumps Brandon and Dylan at the same time. She says she has some important private matter which is why she wouldn't travel to Palm Springs with Donna. She doesn't tell Clare or Donna at all. Then Clare and David spot Kelly and Allison having a candle light dinner. They thought it was nothing but they remembered how coy Kelly was and how much of a secret it was.

Then Allison who really should have better taste (I mean Kelly? There are plenty of better women out there), decides to be in love with Kelly. David and Clare tells Brandon that Kelly was with Allison and drunk Brandon thought she left him for Allison cause coyness and he was drunk as fuck. (How do we not have more drunk Brandon?)

They broke up after "I choose me"/"I'm cheating on you with Dylan" not Emily related.

In short Kelly is not smart. Literally could have told people that she was having dinner with Allison and everything would be okay but nope.

Edited by SoupThrower
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, SoupThrower said:

Regarding the Allison thing. If I can recall

[summary of Kelly later being dumbly coy re: Allison]

In short Kelly is not smart. Literally could have told people that she was having dinner with Allison and everything would be okay but nope.

Ah yes, OK, thanks! I must have conflated those later scenes with the fire business.

Ugh! This whole thing is so dumb.  When I was in college there were so many girls who "dabbled" with women- Lesbian Until Graduation was what we called it. Granted the Hillsters in general seem a bit homophobic when it comes close to them (gay "others" are ok but not their own). 

Why would anyone fall in love with someone just because they both got burned together?

• Love 2

One season of Nip/Tuck Julian McMahon as Christian had his hair this way, but I think it was in his getting hair plugs storyline after he was on show within a show Hearts & Scalpels. That kind of style kinda comes off as hairplug or toupee looking. Or a toned down business casual Johnny Bravo. 

Almost every hairstyle on this show was horrid except Brenda's and Val's the later Toni's, Gina's, and Janet's. It's like only young Brunette women besides Ohnndrea were getting the good shit. 

• Love 1

Emily's haircut has been giving me nightmares for 20 years. What was that? Seriously, what the hell? Was it for another part? Did Christine Elise think it looked good? Was she growing something out? I need answers. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

One season of Nip/Tuck Julian McMahon as Christian had his hair this way, but I think it was in his getting hair plugs storyline after he was on show within a show Hearts & Scalpels. That kind of style kinda comes off as hairplug or toupee looking. Or a toned down business casual Johnny Bravo. 

Almost every hairstyle on this show was horrid except Brenda's and Val's the later Toni's, Gina's, and Janet's. It's like only young Brunette women besides Ohnndrea were getting the good shit. 

I think the blondes were the "stars" of the show and therefore trying so hard... Clare does that striped thing, Kelly goes short and then does that weird low-lights, and Donna, in general was always a mess.  The only Donna look I liked was the first year of college and the last year of the show (she's a redhead I think).

• Love 2

@bethster2000 1 of the hosts Sarah mentioned that in a few of the Again With This podcasts this year. 

She said that may be possibly why she's more warm towards his acting ability on the show since he quit performing and puts out fires and is a paramedic now. 

Edited by Petunia13
  • Love 3
On 04/11/2016 at 3:02 PM, FozzyBear said:

Emily's haircut has been giving me nightmares for 20 years. What was that? Seriously, what the hell? Was it for another part? Did Christine Elise think it looked good? Was she growing something out? I need answers.

Seriously! Does anyone know her? I wish someone could ask her about it and tell us here.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1