Type keyword(s) to search

Donald John Trump: 2016 President-Elect

Here's my take on the Melania interview. It was boring as I expected it would be because I knew it would be one of those interviews that CNN would offer to the Trump camp in order to appear less biased. Melania did exactly what was expected, she spoke in Donald's behalf and she didn't embarrass herself. That's what she's paid to do. Sure, she's paid. She's a wife in name only. I'm sure they don't share a bed and I wouldn't be surprised if she resides mainly on the floor that Barron has beneath their penthouse. Yep, he has his own entire floor in Trump Tower. I have heard she doesn't believe in nannies and that she's a 'hands on' mom, but Barron is 10 years old and in private school during the day.

I imagine that Melania and Donald have a pretty open marriage as far as sex goes. There's probably plenty of men around to keep Melania entertained and happy while Donald does his presidential bid thing. Donald used to be a womanizer but now that he's 70, his libido may have declined in intensity, but if not, there's plenty of beautiful women who would gladly throw themselves at him.

• Love 4

I forgot that Melania said that, too, as if it explained it, "Women are always giving him their phone numbers". I'm sure that's true, but it doesn't have anything do with the behavior HE bragged about--sexual assault--to Billy. She didn't seem to address the problem at all. I'm not sure why it took over a week to prep for such a pathetic defense (and, of course, counter=attack).

And I thought she was disgusting to attribute the nude pictures from her GQ shoot going up on the internet to the Clinton campaign. What a liar. That was during the primaries, and though they blamed Cruz for it (and Trump retaliated with the ugly photoshopped pic of Heidi), it actually was his superPac which, as they know, CANNOT coordinate with the candidate.

I had no opinion of Melania before the election--hoped for the best as Marla and Ivana each have some good points--but I actively dislike her now. Like her husband, she's a liar.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, HumblePi said:

That was so awful to watch, totally alien for him. That little girl may need some counseling in the future.

Oh god. He's totally holding her by the ass and trying to kiss her on the mouth. You can even see his face follow hers a bit as she turns away, but he still misses. How does he not know kissing a little girl on the lips is not something adult men do?

• Love 11

Good grief, I just saw a clip of Rudy Guiliani and he looked like a fucking ghoul.  I swear he's aged 20 years in the last two weeks. 

I don't know what to say about that interview with Melania.  Is she raising her son by those standards?  Would she think it was just boy talk if someone (especially a person of color!) assaulted her the way Trump has admitted to assaulting other women?  What a hypocritical dumbass.

• Love 14

So much that, Spartan Girl.  I never felt sorry for her even before all this.  Melania's clearly a smart woman and knew what she was getting with Trump, and the kind of man he was, when she got into bed with him.  She wouldn't have gotten to where she is without being smart and having her wiles as well.  Reminds me of Wendi Deng- Murdoch's ex.  From the same tree.  Shudder.

Melania knew how to stay on message better than her husband.  Hit all the key words, played the blame game.  You don't get to where she is without being disciplined.  Her message will play well with Trump's base and maybe the undecideds who only watched the interview and know nothing else.  She was lying about a lot of stuff of course, but people will low BS meters won't detect that.  I wanted to gag when she went on about boy talk and victim blaming and all the hypocrisy about bullying etc. considering her husband's behavior.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 10

Twitter has a great response to Melania blaming Billy Bush for Trump's comments:http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a49693/billy-bush/?src=socialflowFB   The hashtag #BillyBushMadeMeDoIt has some great responses.   

Now if Melania wanted to claim that Howard Stern had egged him on, she might have a point.  But Howard Stern eggs everyone on, it's his schtick.   Billy Bush certainly wasn't objecting to anything Trump said, but he wasn't "egging him on."   

• Love 6
10 hours ago, HumblePi said:

Here's my take on the Melania interview. It was boring as I expected it would be because I knew it would be one of those interviews that CNN would offer to the Trump camp in order to appear less biased. Melania did exactly what was expected, she spoke in Donald's behalf and she didn't embarrass herself. That's what she's paid to do. Sure, she's paid. She's a wife in name only. I'm sure they don't share a bed and I wouldn't be surprised if she resides mainly on the floor that Barron has beneath their penthouse. Yep, he has his own entire floor in Trump Tower. I have heard she doesn't believe in nannies and that she's a 'hands on' mom, but Barron is 10 years old and in private school during the day.

I imagine that Melania and Donald have a pretty open marriage as far as sex goes. There's probably plenty of men around to keep Melania entertained and happy while Donald does his presidential bid thing. Donald used to be a womanizer but now that he's 70, his libido may have declined in intensity, but if not, there's plenty of beautiful women who would gladly throw themselves at him.

I have the feeling more that Donald can mess around, but Melania can't.  I don't think Trump's ego would allow him to agree to his wife sleeping, or even having dinner with another man.

• Love 18

Lawrence O'Donnell did an excellent job of dissecting what he called a puff/fluff piece.  No tough questions were asked, including, "What happened to that press conference your husband and his campaign promised you were going to give clarifying your immigration status?"

What happened, indeed.  LOD also mentioned how Drumpf has once again changed the subject ("the election is rigged") so that less focus is given to his admitting to sexual assault and the media has allowed him to get away with it once again.  All Melania did last night was confirm that she has another child at home--a 70-year-old titty baby who has to be diapered, powdered and given a pacifier whenever he doesn't get his way.  She also reminded us that, yes, women have to have evidence when they accuse someone of sexual assault.  As LOD rightly pointed out--their word is their evidence.  Not to mention the other people these women told in real time when those incidents occurred.  The other thing this ridiculous woman did was expose her man-child as someone who is so easily weak-minded that he was "egged on" by someone at least three decades his junior to engage in "boy talk."

And, blaming the Clinton campaign for publishing nude photos of her?  Heffa, please.  You took the pictures, remember?  Pictures that your husband had obviously seen and which made him want to get with you in the first place.  The Clinton campaign never mentioned your "modeling" career.  Nor, did they mention the college degree that you claimed to have in your fake biography, which had to be amended.  Hey, boo-boo, show us your college transcripts!  Does anyone at your university even remember you?  

Thanks for also reminding us, Melania, that we do NOT want a child in the White House.  Oh, and of course, the questions have to be asked of Drumpf's defenders and surrogates:  Is his wife complicit in her husband's actions?  Is she an enabler in his sexual abuse of women?

Crickets chirping...

• Love 19

My takeaway from the Melania interview is that she said she feels like she's raising two boys, like Donald is an adolescent boy.  

Ok, good argument for wanting a president who is mature and not going to be distracted by sexual urges and male ego.  

• Love 10

Psst.... Melania that interview with your husband that you saw where he says "Who wouldn't want to look cool in front of THE Billy Bush. " that was actually Alec Baldwin and it was an SNL skit.

I know it can be confusing to tell between made up stuff and truth. 

• Love 20
13 hours ago, Bunky1412 said:

First North Carolina; now Arizona.  Thank God, unlike North Carolina, it turned out to be a hoax and there was no property damage.  More importantly, nobody was hurt or killed in either North Carolina or Arizona. 

All clear given after bomb threat reported at Arizona Republican Party headquarters in Phoenix

It's suspicious this happens so soon after The Arizona Republic was so prominent in the national news for their editorial stance against Trump.

It feels less like "out of control liberal extremists" and more like someone trying to forcibly move the needle on the debate the situation with The Republic caused over how "compassionate conservatives" are supposed to react to a hate magnet like Donald Trump. Refocus people on the idea that the "liberals" are the "real" danger, and they'll totally forget/ignore what Mi-Ai Parrish wrote in their editorial followup (a piece that's been moving a hell of a lot of people in both parties).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 5
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:53 AM, madmaverick said:

I really would not be surprised if Trump TV is coming to us soon, though for the life of me I can't stomach that man talking pure nonsense without end.

But who would advertise on a channel like that to pay the freight?

Puppykicker.com

Armor-Piercing Bullets'R'Us

RacistMysogynistWhitePeople Only Dating Service

White Hoods Laundry

Molotov Cocktails and Grill

Mooselini (Sarah Palin) and Glenn Beck tried to go viewer supported, to no good end.

• Love 14
16 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Churches and companies that sell insurance, drugs, guns, pickup trucks, real estate scammers, and anyone who wants to bring themselves to the attention of the demographic that watches bloviating idiots telling them what to think.   Drumpf probably thinks he can get free publicity for his own ventures, but that's unlikely unless he changes what he's selling.   One side effect might be that Faux News would turn on some of the people and ideas that they've been promoting all these years. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Bunky1412 said:

I disagree, but am not surprised given the level of hate being spewed toward Republicans on this board.  (Before you tell me I'm not allowed to say that, I have, in writing, a message from a moderator here on PreviouslyTV telling me that posters are allowed to voice their opinion when they are offended by something another poster said.  I had reported some posters for taking shots at another poster when I was told this.  I say this with all due respect to my fellow posters here on PreviouslyTV, but there are some that I simply will never think of in the same way again and it has nothing to do with whether I agree with them politically.  It's due to the truly outrageous things that have been said about me for no other reason than that I am a Republican.  I wonder how the supporters of Clinton on this board would feel if the Republicans of PreviouslyTV began posting ugly things about Clinton supporters.  Sh** slinging is a whole helluva lot of fun until you find yourself on the other side of the swinging door.)  Anyway, hopefully, they'll determine who is behind these attacks, whoever that may be, and that will put the speculation to rest.  

You're right, it's a free speech sort of place as long as you follow the rules and aren't rude to a particular person.  With that in mind, I have to disagree that there's "hate being spewed toward Republicans". After all, many anti-Trump posters would normally vote Republican -- IF they had another candidate  on the ticket.

It's not "Republicans". It's Trump, what he stands for (to me), and, for me, a critical, even angry feeling toward those who support what he stands for.  For a while, I thought the Huffington Post was over the top with their disclaimer at the end of every article about him "misogynist, racist, Islamophobic, demagogue, etc." But now I absolutely agree with them. I've watched many of his rallies (one in person) and find his well-packaged message of ignorance, rudeness and divisiveness shocking to hear from a major party nominee.

And I continue to be aggravated at the long, long list of things that he isn't held accountable for--not by the press or by his supporters.  The editorials like the Republic and Dallas Morning News who've come out against him are real "profiles in courage" to me,.  The Republican leadership?  Not so much.

That said--and I'm not saying you shouldn't post in this thread because, of course, your voice, no matter how pro-Trump you may be,  should be heard and treated politely anywhere on the board--But, that said, I've often felt a bit bad for Trump supporters in this forum who are in the distinct minority. If I were one, I'd start a thread for supporters like, "Donald Trump--Why We Love Him" .  I'm not kidding. I think it would be interesting to see how someone could look at the same person I do (and have read so, so, so much about) and see something so totally different. 

• Love 22

These two articles are interesting when juxtaposed:

Donald Trump says he might meet with Putin before inauguration

Trump is criticizing Clinton for being too tough on Russia. 

Trump's refusal to accept intelligence briefing on Russia stuns experts

Several former intelligence officials interviewed this week believe that Trump is either willfully disputing intelligence assessments, has a blind spot on Russia, or perhaps doesn't understand the nonpartisan traditions and approach of intelligence professionals.

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, Bunky1412 said:

I say this with all due respect to my fellow posters here on PreviouslyTV, but there are some that I simply will never think of in the same way again and it has nothing to do with whether I agree with them politically.  It's due to the truly outrageous things that have been said about me for no other reason than that I am a Republican.

I don't ever remember you posting in this thread so I'm pretty sure no one was personally calling you out for your political beliefs. There was another poster here who posted provable falsehoods and, in fairness, was corrected. You can support whomever you like (YAY! Free country!) but it's reasonable discourse to present facts to rebut ideological fantasies.

As a Trump supporter, it would be interesting if you could explain why instead of just accusing others of singling you out. It would really be helpful! 

18 minutes ago, Darian said:

These two articles are interesting when juxtaposed:

Donald Trump says he might meet with Putin before inauguration

Trump is criticizing Clinton for being too tough on Russia. 

Trump's refusal to accept intelligence briefing on Russia stuns experts

Interesting. And appalling about not accepting intelligence EXPERTS who've concluded that yes, Russia's behind the hacks. If Putin were hacking Trump's people and targeting him through wikileaks to influence the U.S. election for Clinton you can be sure Republicans would be accusing her of being a traitor or at least collaborating with two very unsavory people and undermining democracy.  I don't understand why this is another--on a long list--of things Trump is getting away with.                    

He has OBVIOUS ties to Russia (Stone, Manafort, General Flynn) and probably owes money to Russian banks, too (in addition to the Bank of China and Deutschebank and who knows what else). I wonder what our intelligence agencies know about Trump and his people. I don't see how he can get a security clearance. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Yes, this.  I don't think Trump TV will be sustainable.  First, normal people are going to tire of him and his ridiculous blustering.  Second and more importantly, no reputable business is going to attach itself to the groups he's bringing into his fold.  It will be interesting to see how the GOP cuts the cord between him and them when this is all over.

Last night Chris Hayes did a segment on Trump's claims of election rigging.  While Trump's surrogates were everywhere claiming that Trump really just meant he wasn't getting fair play by the national media, Hayes showed clips and tweets of Trump claiming the opposite, and that rigging was happening at the polls.  It's pretty funny watching these seasoned political operatives try desperately to corral the orange one!  Anyway, Hayes made the point that it's impossible to rig a national election at the polls because of the decentralized system we have in this country.  He also brought some guests on to talk about the kind of rigging (for lack of a better word) that Trump and his supporters have completely ignored, i.e., that Republican-controlled state legislatures have made it more and more difficult for people of color to vote. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Bunky1412 said:

I disagree, but am not surprised given the level of hate being spewed toward Republicans on this board.  (Before you tell me I'm not allowed to say that, I have, in writing, a message from a moderator here on PreviouslyTV telling me that posters are allowed to voice their opinion when they are offended by something another poster said.  I had reported some posters for taking shots at another poster when I was told this.  I say this with all due respect to my fellow posters here on PreviouslyTV, but there are some that I simply will never think of in the same way again and it has nothing to do with whether I agree with them politically.  It's due to the truly outrageous things that have been said about me for no other reason than that I am a Republican.  I wonder how the supporters of Clinton on this board would feel if the Republicans of PreviouslyTV began posting ugly things about Clinton supporters.  Sh** slinging is a whole helluva lot of fun until you find yourself on the other side of the swinging door.)  Anyway, hopefully, they'll determine who is behind these attacks, whoever that may be, and that will put the speculation to rest.  

With respect, if any poster here unloaded on another poster, then they deserve whatever the mod does, but if it's just a generic "at Republicans" (as in "out there in the world") that's entirely a different thing.

Also. I think a post about The Arizona Republic is not the kind of post to link that complaint to, because it specifically is a case that illustrates the difference between the Republicans and Donald Trump supporters.  It's clearer than ever they're not inherently the same thing.  Trump supporters going after Republican HQ wouldn't be a statement saying Republicans are doing so, but rather that someone trying to supersede the party is simply using this to do so.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

I found this to be exactly what I was trying to say, but couldn't put into words yesterday. By a comedian, even! 

People don't give comedians enough credit.  They're commentators on society first and foremost.  And because it's "funny" they can get away with a lot more.

I know she's not to everyone's taste, but Sarah Silverman has been killing it throughout the general election.

• Love 9

voter fraud - I read that it numbered millions, asked for a link -   here's what I got:

http://watchdog.org/156197/multiple-voters-crosscheck/

Basically, overlapping voter registrations.  If you register to vote in one state, then MOVE, and register to vote in another state, you are registered twice.   So, you could vote in both states and you might not get caught.    Of course, you'd have to do some driving on election day. 

Millions of cases of voter fraud?  no.  Millions of cases where someone is registered to vote, but didn't relinquish their ID's from where they lived previously?  Sure.  people move. 

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

This is the kind of stuff that has me truly frightened as to what happens on November 9.  I recall a meme that one of his neo-Nazi supporters posted online a few weeks ago with a picture of the Holocaust Museum in Washington.  Underneath was the caption:  "We're back!"

It simply blows my mind that a major party candidate for president has aligned himself with such cretins and there is virtually little, if any, media pushback.

• Love 21
4 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

It simply blows my mind that a major party candidate for president has aligned himself with such cretins and there is virtually little, if any, media pushback.

Who do you think is going to watch all the shows on Trump TV?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

I found this to be exactly what I was trying to say, but couldn't put into words yesterday. By a comedian, even! 

My husband saw an interview with Melania where she said that, if she was first lady, she would work to end cyber-bullying.  When the interviewer asked "like your husband on twitter?" She replied, "No, he can take care of himself."

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, backformore said:

Who do you think is going to watch all the shows on Trump TV?

If anything, I bet he just partners with InfoWars.  Alex Jones has a following that's frighteningly large.

• Love 5

Is this real? Joy Reid retweeted, so I hope it is.

I know this is:

A Union Is Building A Wall Of Taco Trucks Outside Trump’s Las Vegas Hotel

A wall is going up outside the Trump International Las Vegas hotel Wednesday morning.

The Culinary Union, long a Donald Trump antagonist in Las Vegas, is going to “build” a wall of taco trucks outside Trump’s hotel, just a couple miles from UNLV, site of the final presidential debate.

The groups aim to have at least five taco trucks outside the hotel, in addition to a banner in the style of a wall that participants will be able to sign.

• Love 13
37 minutes ago, starri said:

If anything, I bet he just partners with InfoWars.  Alex Jones has a following that's frighteningly large.

I don't know much about InfoWars or Alex Jones but isn't that the guy whoclaims that Obama and Hillary are literally demons?

It's just disturbing that someone like that has a large following.  Is it like a cult of conspiracy believers? 

I think one of the things that has been most disturbing to me throughout this campaign is that it's illustrated that even in an open society, an open democracy like the U.S., with unlimited access to factual information on the internet and a free press, large swathes of the population are susceptible to brainwashing, propaganda, incitement to hatred on a large scale.  Trump goes on and on about a rigged election, many start believing that.  Trump cries that Hillary should be put in prison, people start demanding that.  This fact free, anything goes, alt reality is scary.

When I study history, I often wonder how someone like Hitler got elected by a fairly well educated German populace at the time, and how much of that population believed in Nazi propaganda, or turned a blind eye, or genuinely didn't know, depends on what you believe, to the kind of policies he was instituting in the 1930s.

Even if Trump loses, America still has to grapple with the fact that close to 40% of the population still thought a guy like this was supportable as President of the United States. 40%!  Not 10%, not 20% as you see some right wing populists getting elsewhere, but 40%!  That's still very disturbing to me.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, backformore said:

Basically, overlapping voter registrations.  If you register to vote in one state, then MOVE, and register to vote in another state, you are registered twice. 

But people who have residences in more than one state can vote in both, one by absentee ballot, and the other in person.  In person, you would show proof of residency.  By absentee ballot, all you need is to be on their mailing list.  This is especially prevalent in Florida where many people just go down for the winter.  The experience of 2000 says that most of those are GOP voters.

3 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

I don't know much about InfoWars or Alex Jones but isn't that the guy whoclaims that Obama and Hillary are literally demons?

Yes.  And just about every other conspiracy theory out there.

The frightening thought is that I read once that he has a bigger following than Glenn Beck, even back to when Beck was still on Fox.

I love free speech, and I'm happy to have people share their opinions even when I think they're repellant, but with people like Jones, I struggle a little.  A lot of the things he says come very close to sedition.

• Love 2

The first time I heard of Alex Jones, was when he was saying the sandy Hook massacre didn't happen.   He wasn't the only one, but the theory was that it was staged by politicians, with hired actors to rev up the country to support gun control.   reporters swarmed the community to try to "uncover the truth".  It was terrible what they did to the community.  Imagine  your child being killed, and people saying that the child never existed.   He is a vile human being.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, madmaverick said:

Even if Trump loses, America still has to grapple with the fact that close to 40% of the population still thought a guy like this was supportable as President of the United States. 40%!  Not 10%, not 20% as you see some right wing populists getting elsewhere, but 40%!  That's still very disturbing to me.

Take heart, it's not 40% of the population.  There are over 330 million people in this country - about half that number are registered to vote and only about 50% of them do so in any given election year.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Take heart, it's not 40% of the population.  There are over 330 million people in this country - about half that number are registered to vote and only about 50% of them do so in any given election year.

If all the Trump supporters vote, then they only make up 10% of the population, which makes me feel better (and that is why I will ignore the notion that not all of them vote and/or not all of them are registered to vote).

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I think about 25% are "true believers," so to speak, people who are genuinely racist and sexist and uncomfortable with the progress this country has made that is symbolized by a black president and now a woman president.

Then there's about 15% who I think know he's completely and inexcusably awful and are voting for him anyway because he's got the R next to his name on the ballot. Those are the people I'd like to give a stern talking-to about what they think they're doing with their lives. I mean, for god's sake, stay home this year at least!

But we'll see where he ends up. I believe in history, the losing candidate in every presidential election did get at least 37% of the vote, even in wipeouts. That seems to be the floor that any candidate is guaranteed. It's still possible he doesn't get a whole lot more than that, especially when you look at recent polls. I'm crossing my fingers that he won't.

• Love 8

Thanks for the correction, Kitty.  That is heartening, although still a bit depressing!  And I fear how Trump's 'success' will inspire others to run campaigns in his mold in the future.

Most of my family and friends share similar political views though of course there have been times there have been differences, and I know how heated things can get when society is polarized.  I can't imagine how aggravated I would feel if some of my nearest and dearest were voting for Trump.  I find it's very hard to change people's political views in general, even those close to you. Have those of you who have family and friends that are planning to vote for Trump had any luck in changing their minds?

In other news, Michael Moore is releasing a surprise film about Trump ahead of the election: Michael Moore in Trumpland.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Padma said:

I had no opinion of Melania before the election--hoped for the best as Marla and Ivana each have some good points--but I actively dislike her now. Like her husband, she's a liar.

I watched part of the interview last night - I kept thinking she was Sofia Vergara on downers.

7 hours ago, ALenore said:

Twitter has a great response to Melania blaming Billy Bush for Trump's comments:http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a49693/billy-bush/?src=socialflowFB   The hashtag #BillyBushMadeMeDoIt has some great responses.   

Now if Melania wanted to claim that Howard Stern had egged him on, she might have a point.  But Howard Stern eggs everyone on, it's his schtick.   Billy Bush certainly wasn't objecting to anything Trump said, but he wasn't "egging him on."   

I'm pretty sure we don't want a president who can be "egged on".  Can you imagine what he might do with Putin egging him on?

3 hours ago, starri said:

People don't give comedians enough credit.  They're commentators on society first and foremost.  And because it's "funny" they can get away with a lot more.

I know she's not to everyone's taste, but Sarah Silverman has been killing it throughout the general election.

I've found the comedians and late night talk shows to have the best, and sadly, most accurate assessments.

32 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

I would like to  make a drinking game of Donald Trump speeches but if I took a shot everyone he said "Believe Me" I would probably have alcohol poisoning.

Don't try this unless you are someplace you can spend the night, although that would make an interesting legal defense...

• Love 10

Yes, for all politicians go on about having a mandate (and this applies to all of them), they never do.  My figures are rough but in the last election less than 40% of the total population voted.

I agree that the number of Trump supporters who are truly deplorable is actually quite small.  The rest are more or less regular people who always vote Republican no matter who's on the ticket. 

I'm also hoping for a complete repudiation of what Trump stands for and what he and his enablers have whipped up.

8 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

Most of my family and friends share similar political views though of course there have been times there have been differences, and I know how heated things can get when society is polarized.  I can't imagine how aggravated I would feel if some of my nearest and dearest were voting for Trump.  I find it's very hard to change people's political views in general, even those close to you. Have those of you who have family and friends that are planning to vote for Trump had any luck in changing their minds?

I wouldn't even try.  Most of my family members are conservatives or centrists and I'm neither, so I don't talk politics with them.

Looking forward to Moore's film!

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

Thanks for the correction, Kitty.  That is heartening, although still a bit depressing!  And I fear how Trump's 'success' will inspire others to run campaigns in his mold in the future.

In other news, Michael Moore is releasing a surprise film about Trump ahead of the election: Michael Moore in Trumpland.

I have dear friends who are registered Republicans--as well as my dear hubby who proudly voted for President Obama twice and wishes he could run again.  They barely stomached President Bush and the thought of Romney irritated them.  But, this is the first time they are so dismayed by what has happened to their party that they are either sitting this one out or reluctantly voting for Secretary Clinton.  The fact that he is dangerously unqualified was enough for a few of them.  But, the tape (Trump's 47% moment) caused the others to consider the unthinkable.  One of them even co-authored a letter (published in NYT)), along with other GOP notables, to Rancid Preibus over a month ago demanding that he devote funds to down ballot races.

I didn't even attempt to change their minds.  The beauty of this election season is that Trump's mask came off.  Nuttiness does make strange bedfellows.  And, yes, I'm looking forward to Michael Moore's documentary.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, starri said:

Hillary tweeted a link to her latest campaign ad which shows the link between Alex Jones and his crazy theories, and Trump.

1 hour ago, scriggle said:

Just like Karl Rove's freakout when Fox News called Ohio for Obama last election.

• Love 8

I just got back from a business trip to several cities in Europe, including Berlin, Rome, Vienna and Zurich. I also stopped off at our home in London to see friends and visit my in-laws (my husband is a Brit and I have dual citizenship). Everywhere I went, and after business meetings were over and we went out to the pub/dinner, they all wanted to know about the election, particularly what people thought of Trump.

I told them some very general thoughts, like many people were upset when the audio tape with him speaking about women in such a poor manner surfaced, etc. as you want to be careful in these settings about talking about politics. It turns out that, at least the groups that I was with, dislike Trump just as much as most of us do and sincerely hope he isn't elected. There were signs in the streets with Trump's face and the big red "no" symbol painted across it, there were people very insistent that no self respecting person should vote for a man like that, they have urged Americans living in their Countries to make sure they vote absentee and for Hillary, etc. They all believe that the damage he can do will cross the ocean and harm their Countries as well, especially given his special affinity towards Putin and Russia.

I saw some Trump supporters as well, but they were much fewer and not very vocal  at all and couldn't give any reasons for really wanting him elected and I don't really think they had much information on who he is and what he stands for (which is nothing and changes by the minute anyway). Many of them almost seemed embarrassed to admit they supported him.

In any case, everyone in the places I visited is so captivated by this election. I think a part of it has to do with the fact that the US will (hopefully) get its first female President, when places in Europe most certainly have had them before, and they are curious as to how that will play out, especially as she is a former First Lady. I also think it comes from the fact that a lot of them have seen The Apprentice and can't believe that "that guy" is actually not just running for President, but won the Republican nomination.

My British husband and my in-laws typically tend to be more Republican leaning when it comes to American politics, however, my in-laws made it a point to tell me to do my part to not let that "bloody wanker" into office.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 9
41 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

the number of Trump supporters who are truly deplorable is actually quite small

How come they make it to TV to be interviewed in every different 10 minute segment on every cable news channel?  Turn on any network and wait 9 minutes.  You'll see a moron explaining how the election is rigged because Hillary doesn't have as large rallies as Trump.  Or a moron explaining how being PC must be done away with at all costs.  Or a moron explaining how Trump "tells it like it is."   And so forth.

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I agree that the number of Trump supporters who are truly deplorable is actually quite small.  The rest are more or less regular people who always vote Republican no matter who's on the ticket. 

I've made that point myself a few times, but I have to say that each day that passes where people continue to support him now, when he's turned on his own party, makes it harder to maintain that belief. 

In a way, as disgusted as I was at McCain giving his "The Republicans will continue to block Supreme Court appointments" statement, I think part of that was intended to shake loose some of those people who were sticking with Trump out of a belief that it was the only way to get the Supreme Court they want.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I've made that point myself a few times, but I have to say that each day that passes where people continue to support him now, when he's turned on his own party, makes it harder to maintain that belief. 

I agree, and think it boils down to conservative votes being more likely to vote based on one or two issues (taxes, abortion) at the expense of everything else.  Personally I don't how anyone who professes to be a moral person or a person of good conscience can vote for Trump.  But I suppose we all rationalize when it suits us.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Bunky1412 said:

I didn't say I was personally being called out for my political beliefs by any one poster(s). 

Here's what you said:

It's due to the truly outrageous things that have been said about me

I'm sorry to have assumed you were voting for Trump. Good luck.