Type keyword(s) to search

Donald John Trump: 2016 President-Elect

9 hours ago, Chicken Wing said:

I swear to God, if any of us make it out of the next four years alive it'll be a fucking miracle.

I keep thinking of a quote from Roseanne when Dan says they're screwed, and Roseanne clarifies that screwed doesn't begin to cover it: "We are so far beyond screwed that the light from screwed will take one billion years to reach Earth."

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 15
22 minutes ago, Lunata said:

What Donald Trump REALLY wants to achieve is to break up every labor union. He wants to send these blue collar workers back to the 1930's. Even though the CEOs of these corporations get outrageous million dollar salaries and bonuses plus incredible benefits and perks, they expect the 'little guy' to give up more and more until they're totally powerless and will work for peanuts.

Even sadder is that union employees are not particularly fans of the unions.  They resent having to pay dues to the union, are the first ones to bitch and moan about the union not doing "enough" to "save their jobs" and get them more benefits.  A good number of them really have no idea how screwed they would be without the unions, and will happily vote them out.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, izabella said:

Even sadder is that union employees are not particularly fans of the unions.  They resent having to pay dues to the union, are the first ones to bitch and moan about the union not doing "enough" to "save their jobs" and get them more benefits.  A good number of them really have no idea how screwed they would be without the unions, and will happily vote them out.

IME (I work w/ union reps occasionally for my job), the rank & file especially are like the rest of the GOP base:  they've been bludgeoned for decades w/ faux "conservative" propaganda.  It's all about "God & the flag."  Their belief systems are so fucked up, they can't recognize that it's o.k. to have self-interest in wanting living wages, healthcare, etc.  Seriously, I'm not just saying this to be a partisan asshole.  They'd rather have gun rights than healthcare (the former that is NOT EVEN GOING TO BE TAKEN AWAY NO MATTER HOW MUCH THE GOP LIES ABOUT OBAMA COMING TO GET THEIR DAMN GUNS!!!).

• Love 15
52 minutes ago, izabella said:

Isn't that still nepotism and isn't that still protected by our Constitution?

Like that matters???  Where have you been the past month?

(In case it's not obvious, that's sarcasm,  not a real question.)

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, izabella said:

In the statistics put out by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the percent of wage and salary workers who were members of unions--was 11.1 percent in 2015, unchanged from 2014. (In 1983, the first year for which comparable union data are available, the union membership rate was 20.1 percent) The share of America’s workforce that’s unionized hit a 100-year low. Most Americans yawned at this news and that’s understandable because most Americans aren’t in a union.

6 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

IME (I work w/ union reps occasionally for my job), the rank & file especially are like the rest of the GOP base:  they've been bludgeoned for decades w/ faux "conservative" propaganda.  It's all about "God & the flag."  Their belief systems are so fucked up, they can't recognize that it's o.k. to have self-interest in wanting living wages, healthcare, etc.  Seriously, I'm not just saying this to be a partisan asshole.  They'd rather have gun rights than healthcare (the former that is NOT EVEN GOING TO BE TAKEN AWAY NO MATTER HOW MUCH THE GOP LIES ABOUT OBAMA COMING TO GET THEIR DAMN GUNS!!!).

Inequality and wealth concentration are at levels not seen since just before the Great Depression. This would seem as ripe a time in modern memory for a revival of organized labor. Instead, a basic assumption now shapes most Americans’ mindset about labor: the belief that the death of unions isn’t my problem because I’m not in a union. That assumption is wrong in two critical ways. The fact is that when unions are stronger the economy as a whole does better. Unions restore demand to an economy by raising wages for their members and putting more purchasing power to work, enabling more hiring. On the flip side, when labor is weak and capital unconstrained, corporations hoard, hiring slows, and inequality deepens. Thus we have today both record highs in corporate profits and record lows in wages. Sadly, this event in Indiana is just another sign that unions will soon be extinct particularly when the President of the United States is hellbent on destroying them. 

There has been a historical writing floating around for a number of years on principles that were well known to our founders, which is:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largess from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: "From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage."

• Love 10
47 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I keep thinking of a quote from Roseanne when Dan says they're screwed, and Roseanne clarifies that screwed doesn't begin to cover it: "We are so far beyond screwed that the light from screwed will take one billion years to reach Earth."

I've been thinking of that exact quote all damn day. We're well and truly fucked.

• Love 8

Ugh. Regardless of the rationale, this is not a good look. Jefferson's and Van Buren's daughters acted as First Lady (although I think the title was White House Hostess) but that's because their fathers were widowers. And Buchanan's niece assumed the First Lady duties because he had never married. But Donald has a wife. Hell, he's had a lot of wives. We already know Donald has no sense of propriety, but doesn't Ivanka? She has to know this looks creepy af.

• Love 18
1 minute ago, fishcakes said:

Ugh. Regardless of the rationale, this is not a good look. Jefferson's and Van Buren's daughters acted as First Lady (although I think the title was White House Hostess) but that's because their fathers were widowers. And Buchanan's niece assumed the First Lady duties because he had never married. But Donald has a wife. Hell, he's had a lot of wives. We already know Donald has no sense of propriety, but doesn't Ivanka? She has to know this looks creepy af.

That would be an understatement. Wow, never knew that. Interesting. Exactly. 

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, windsprints said:

Donald Trump Will Continue to BeCelebrity Apprentice EP

NBC and all its news sources are all done for me. This is just insane, being President is a full time job.

Also, is First Lady now a position that can be given to any family member?

cnnscreeb.JPG

Not that I particularly want to defend him, but is an executive producer credit anything more than a courtesy title? I mean, I see a lot of dramas after several seasons will add their lead cast as exec producer and I always it was just a way to keep them happy/give them more money but they didn't actually *do* anything in terms of production. 

• Love 1

Not that I particularly want to defend him, but is an executive producer credit anything more than a courtesy title? I mean, I see a lot of dramas after several seasons will add their lead cast as exec producer and I always it was just a way to keep them happy/give them more money but they didn't actually *do* anything in terms of production.

He's still on the payroll  & IMO that muddies the waters since NBC owns news channels who should be reporting on the President. He being on their payroll can potentially influence that coverage.

• Love 17
14 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

It is mostly a courtesy title, so this is really about the money that comes with that title rather than the work he'd be doing.   Trump would just watch each episode and then Tweet about it, maybe live Tweeting, in order to get more viewers so that he, ultimately, profits from it.

Trump fans won't care if he profits from his businesses, and uses his office and the automatic and free publicity that goes with it to increase his profits.  Now imagine if Obama had been Executive Producer of, say, "Real Housewives of Chicago" during his Presidency.  Or if Hillary was Executive Producer of a reality show called "Pantsuit Nation."  Unthinkable, right?

• Love 12

Maybe they'll have cabinet meetings to discuss The Apprentice! *smh*

He isn't even president yet, and he's already dishonored and diminished the office to nothing but something he fits into his spare time -- between his other gigs. What a joke he is.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 20

Or if Hillary was Executive Producer of a reality show called "Pantsuit Nation."

Bwaah, this is hilarious.

By the way, if Ivanka wants to be first lady, let the incest conspiracy theories continue, because that jackass started them when he let Howard Stern talk about what a piece of ass his daughter was and didn't he say something about Tiffany's parts when she was just an infant? Not to mention, that picture with her sitting on his lap when she was...a kid, was disgustingly sexual looking. Fucking weirdo,  his entire lot is sickening. 

Oh, thank you Chris Hayes and MSNBC for coming to your senses and not airing Trump's obnoxious look at me tour. Do not show it live, you can watch at your studio, review it and if you think there is anything news worthy, you can tell us and show up the clip the following day. We don't need to suffer through him in real time. Showing that union president Chuck was a much better use of airtime. 

Oh wait, I spoke too soon, time to change the channel.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 13

Poor Chris Hayes. Has to give up a solid five minutes to doughy ass and his love me rally in Des Moines. Then a split screen because MSNBC can't believe there are more of us that want him to STFU.  (I turned to Tosh 2.0)

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2

Kurt Eichenwald is freaking amazing!  I am sure he and Newsweek are getting tons of hate mail. I am writing a letter to Newsweek in praise of his work and cc-ing it to him. These (few) people who can identify and stand up for democracy should be supported! 

Especially because we know how quick and aggressive the Trumpkins are with the threats.

I'm glad I got to see the Hayes conversation with Sanders--and learn about Monday night's townhall--before Tubby and his rampaging ego took over the show.

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, Padma said:

Kurt Eichenwald is freaking amazing!  I am sure he and Newsweek are getting tons of hate mail. I am writing a letter to Newsweek in praise of his work and cc-ing it to him. These (few) people who can identify and stand up for democracy should be supported! 

Especially because we know how quick and aggressive the Trumpkins are with the threats.

Kurt will be one of the first on the hit list when the IRS and FBI come a calling after Jan 20th. 

To paraphrase him Stick  a fork in the USA cause were done .

Edited by callmebetty
  • Love 5

Trump has a need to do things 'bigly', we have see examples of this many times over the past year or more. Even his entrance into the RNC convention made me want to kneel, bless myself and pray "please God, save us from this demon". He entered through parted curtains on a stage filled with fog, back-lit to silhouette his bulky frame and emerged looking like the Archangel Gabriele coming down to save the world with little angel voices singing Mick Jagger's "You Don't Always Get What You Want". It was creepy as shit.

The Showman, Donald 'P.T.Barnum' Trump will always do the big show, the huge production in which he's the object of attention. And now, get ready, it's 'Inauguration time'! This is going to be a show that I'll miss because I just can't watch. He's toying with the idea of making a grand entrance by taking a private helicopter from his Manhattan home to the Capital lawn. (did you puke yet?) After making a grand entrance to cheering crowds, I wouldn't doubt that he'd be carried up to the Capital veranda seating on a throne of gold. This is going to be a shit-show of the grandest magnitude. I'm wondering who will be there in the middle between he and the Justice that swears him in, who will be the woman gazing lovingly between them, will it be Melania or Ivanka?

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Lunata said:

Trump has a need to do things 'bigly', we have see examples of this many times over the past year or more. Even his entrance into the RNC convention made me want to kneel, bless myself and pray "please God, save us from this demon". He entered through parted curtains on a stage filled with fog, back-lit to silhouette his bulky frame and emerged looking like the Archangel Gabriele coming down to save the world with little angel voices singing Mick Jagger's "You Don't Always Get What You Want". It was creepy as shit.

The Showman, Donald 'P.T.Barnum' Trump will always do the big show, the huge production in which he's the object of attention. And now, get ready, it's 'Inauguration time'! This is going to be a show that I'll miss because I just can't watch. He's toying with the idea of making a grand entrance by taking a private helicopter from his Manhattan home to the Capital lawn. (did you puke yet?) After making a grand entrance to cheering crowds, I wouldn't doubt that he'd be carried up to the Capital veranda seating on a throne of gold. This is going to be a shit-show of the grandest magnitude. I'm wondering who will be there in the middle between he and the Justice that swears him in, who will be the woman gazing lovingly between them, will it be Melania or Ivanka?

Why only one?  Why not both women, and his ex wives and anyone else he's got his eyes on currently. And your scenario certainly suits him--if only he can arrange for clouds to part as the helicopter descends and a choir of (pseudo) angels in the background.  He should really be carried by semi-naked slave girls on a golden litter with a laurel wreath of gold in his hair.

Let's get used to our bizarre new Caligula presiding over the fall of America on Day One.  The pomp. The pageantry. How he's making America great (again). His cult members will love it.

• Love 10

Ya gotta love those Trump surrogates on CNN.  NOT!!

Last night Jeffery Lord made an ass of himself (well, even more of an ass than usual) by trying to argue points with Robert Reich.  Now tonight the younger of the blonde bimbos, Kaleigh MacaNinny, is trying to school Robert Reich in the US economic history of the 80s.  Trickle down economics worked then and it will work now.  No really she said it so it must be true, right?  What does this Reich fellow know anyway?  He's just an author, a respected political commentator, a professor and a man that worked in the administration of three Presidents.  Pfffff, a nobody!

Little Miss Kaleigh Bitch needs to know how to read the room and needs to concede that she's not always the most intelligent or knowledgeable in said room.  Of course that would make it like...never!

• Love 11

FFS....Rachel Maddow showing the sheer genius of Trump voters based on multiple polls showing how utterly out of touch with reality they are as a discrete population.  Un-fucking-real.  Talk about a reality distortion field.

• Love 10

The RNC is holding their Holiday Party at Trump's new DC Hotel. Guess who gets to line his pockets even though this property is one that, given the way the lease is written, he should (and will) most definitely have to give up. I guess he can profit until January 20th, and it seems he is trying to rake it in off of this hotel until then.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

FFS....Rachel Maddow showing the sheer genius of Drumpf voters based on multiple polls showing how utterly out of touch with reality they are as a discrete population.  Un-fucking-real.  Talk about a reality distortion field.

Yep. They're buying into all of that fake and Faux News. Just like the Republicans and Drumpf want them to.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Rapunzel said:

The RNC is holding their Holiday Party at Trump's new DC Hotel. Guess who gets to line his pockets even though this property is one that, given the way the lease is written, he should (and will) most definitely have to give up. I guess he can profit until January 20th, and it seems he is trying to rake it in off of this hotel until then.

Hope he gouges them bigly.  Hope?  Who am I kidding?  This is Donald Trump.  Of course he will.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

56 minutes ago, onthebrink03 said:

Hope he gouges them bigly.  Hope?  Who am I kidding?  This is Donald Trump.  Of course he will.

No no no... I hope they all enjoy a nice tossed salad before dinner and the lettuce comes from a Mexican farm somewhere in Tijuana where every picker there took a nice big one on the rows of lettuce. My delight would come in knowing that they all had cramps and loose stools for two days afterwards. 

Edited by Lunata
  • Love 10

I'm coming by to say my jaw is eternally dropped over this insanity, and every action of this imbecile.  This forum is terrific, but I feel like I'm living in the twilight zone, and I usually can't find any language to accurately convey how much this country is in the Shitter and how terrified I am.  

Eveything he does, TWEETS, says.... It is all so depressing and this piece of garbage is an insane con man.  How are there no protections set in place for our country not to nominate a lunatic!?

Don't forget people, facts are not facts! Not anymore! OMG

• Love 18
19 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

Way to keep it classy you fucking lowlifes.

Why would they boo? Because they think the moon landing's a fake? Because he science friendly? Did they confuse him with someone else? Just assume since Trump mentioned him they were supposed to boo?

1 hour ago, Lunata said:

He's toying with the idea of making a grand entrance by taking a private helicopter from his Manhattan home to the Capital lawn. (did you puke yet?)

I hope he's the biggest celebrity at the thing. Obviously he does have a cult following, but he's totally jealous of bigger and cooler celebs. Flying in on a helicopter does not make him Jason Bourne any more than that entrance with the smoke made him Mick Jagger.

ETA: Trump at rally just says he was named Person of the Year...they used to call it Man of the Year but they can't anymore because they have to be "politically correct." This is so what his whole campaign is about.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, Revlonred said:

I'm coming by to say my jaw is eternally dropped over this insanity, and every action of this imbecile.  This forum is terrific, but I feel like I'm living in the twilight zone, and I usually can't find any language to accurately convey how much this country is in the Shitter and how terrified I am.  

Eveything he does, TWEETS, says.... It is all so depressing and this piece of garbage is an insane con man.  How are there no protections set in place for our country not to nominate a lunatic!?

Not to make you feel any worse but we've known for a while that there are no longer facts. Someone will dispute any fact. We're entering a 4 year relationship with a President that's a lying liar that lies, a hawkish cabinet of generals that want to kill just about everyone not only the 'enemy', millionaires and billionaires that will fight each other to retain their spot at the top 1% of the top 10%, Republicans in the House, Senate and Congress that will run amuck, repealing every good law that was made in the past 8 years, voting for every Bill that limits our personal freedoms, take away free speech, destroy labor unions, create chaos with race riots, and just overall screw us totally. But, on the positive side. We're all going to go about our lives, work each day like we did yesterday, cook our meatloaf and eat with our family, go shopping at Walmart and try to keep things on an even keel without suffering too much of the fallout from a possible nuclear war.

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Why would they boo? Because they think the moon landing's a fake? Because he science friendly? Did they confuse him with someone else? Just assume since Drumpf mentioned him they were supposed to boo?

I hope he's the biggest celebrity at the thing. Obviously he does have a cult following, but he's totally jealous of bigger and cooler celebs. Flying in on a helicopter does not make him Jason Bourne any more than that entrance with the smoke made him Mick Jagger.

ETA: Drumpf at rally just says he was named Person of the Year...they used to call it Man of the Year but they can't anymore because they have to be "politically correct." This is so what his whole campaign is about.

Betting it was the moon landing, science and that he was a Democratic senator.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I wake fitfully EVERY night so alarmed and ready to flee this country now. I am not exaggerating my profound alarm at what I'm seeing unfold before my very eyes now. I don't feel secure here any longer. I'm Caucasian and Jewish by blood. I know how my people felt "back then". I am not religious. But dear god, what must we have to do to rid ourselves of this horrid, terrifying, pugilistic Nazi thug?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Padma said:

Why only one?  Why not both women, and his ex wives and anyone else he's got his eyes on currently. And your scenario certainly suits him--if only he can arrange for clouds to part as the helicopter descends and a choir of (pseudo) angels in the background.  He should really be carried by semi-naked slave girls on a golden litter with a laurel wreath of gold in his hair.

It's almost as if Trump thinks he has the charisma that B. Clinton has when it comes to the ladies (and speaking/interacting with others) and the charisma that Obama has when it comes to speaking and interacting with others. B. Clinton and Obama two men ooze charisma.

Trump oozes rapey raper who rapes spray with pepper spray first, run away and don't stick around to ask questions later.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, sleekandchic said:

Generals, generals, generals!   Donald better be careful.  He might have a junta on his hands in a year.

Trump did everything in his and daddy's power to make sure he didn't have to serve in the military. And his unbelievably nasty attitude toward POW McCain during the campaign showed that Donald doesn't respect or gives a damn about the military. (I don't count his words to the contrary. He lies so much.

The thing is, support for Herr Trump was high among veterans and the military. If McCain was criticized by Democrats, they rose in outrage to his defense. When a Republican criticized him, they swiftboated him.

47 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Why would they boo? Because they think the moon landing's a fake? Because he science friendly? Did they confuse him with someone else? Just assume since Trump mentioned him they were supposed to boo?

John Glenn was the first American to orbit the earth; he never went to the moon.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, Revlonred said:

What you said is how I feel down to a tee.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

John Glenn was the first American to orbit the earth; he never went to the moon.

Oh, I knew that. I was just casting about wildly for a reason to boo the man and thought well, space program...moon landing conspiracy? Or science in general? Reminder of the dark time when Americans weren't afraid of embracing evidence, facts and the future?

• Love 9
45 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Betting it was the moon landing, science and that he was a Democratic senator.

The above is way too much intellectual content for those people. I think it was just the last one -- simply, he's a Democrat, aka the enemy.

Did Trump say anything when they booed? He's the generation who would well remember the excitement over the Mercury 7 and what they did--really electrifying Americans about the possibilities of space travel.  What can I say? These people think Donald J. Trump is an American hero.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Revlonred said:

You're not alone, it's been about a month now and I still can't shake off the sense of unreality. It's too stupid to be real. If it were in a novel I'd roll my eyes all the way to Mars.

46 minutes ago, Lunata said:

But, on the positive side. We're all going to go about our lives, work each day like we did yesterday, cook our meatloaf and eat with our family, go shopping at Walmart and try to keep things on an even keel without suffering too much of the fallout from a possible nuclear war.

Yes, and that will be a good thing generally, but it's also a little bit horrifying knowing that eventually this will all be just ordinary life.

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Oh, I knew that. I was just casting about wildly for a reason to boo the man and thought well, space program...moon landing conspiracy? Or science in general? Reminder of the dark time when Americans weren't afraid of embracing evidence, facts and the future?

Probably because he was a Democrat and held elected office as such. 

• Love 3
Just now, Padma said:

The above is way too much intellectual content for those people. I think it was just the last one -- simply, he's a Democrat, aka the enemy.

Did Drumpf say anything when they booed? He's the generation who would well remember the excitement over the Mercury 7 and what they did--really electrifying Americans about the possibilities of space travel.  What a bunch of sniveling jerks.

Maybe.

Who knows. Betting it's a Pavlov response.

• Love 2