Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: The One Where the Charter Guests Almost Die

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

27 minutes ago, FamilyVan said:

There was something odd about Ro to me - was she dressed like that as a costume or a way to hide?  The hat, the sunglasses, etc, was that hair real or was that a wig?  I am serious, it seemed not real.  I wonder if it was an attempt to disguise herself so that after the show airs people do not recognize her. 

She's already a semi public figure because she's in sports so I don't think that's it. She seems to want to be seen as edgy and tough. I thought she came off as predatory.

• Love 10

Kate is a control freak so she was annoyed that production surprised her with Ro's visit. Plus, I think the relationship is for exposure.

When they went into the bathroom, the cameras were already set up to catch them kissing in a perfectly framed mirror reflection. And I think the excessive texting was for the cameras and to annoy Ben.

Weird about the guests' accident. I'm not a sailor nor a diver but I know not to put drunks into a speeding boat, and to avoid coral and, you know, the nearby massive yacht.

I'm annoyed at Kelly, Lauren and Sierra being set up, in the sense that they aren't extremely experienced in their designated positions, yet they are being called out for it and humiliated. I assume being bosun is very demanding, and Kelly doesn't have all the necessary skills. Did he even know that the hand signals were incorrect? And Sierra can't be faulted for not knowing what a Painkiller is.

• Love 2

Love the bit about the accusation that he was terrified of Kate, and his saying if he thought her texting was an issue he would have somehow mustered the courage to talk to her about it.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, ryebread said:

Not just bacteria, but because they are living (breathing?) creatures, they can inject you with venom stuff - for lack of the scientific term. LOL.  I brushed up against a reef and immediately it felt like my arm was on fire.  Got back on the boat and my husband generously provided a beer can of pee to pour on it because we knew that will take the sting out of a jellyfish sting. LOL.  It didn't work.  Back at the hotel I was instructed to put it in hot, hot water, scrub the heck out of it and then they gave me some kind of talcum powder stuff to sprinkle on.  It hurt for 2 days.

Monica Geller-Bing?  Is that you? 

18 hours ago, Maharincess said:

This is what I'm still confused about. HOW did Lauren fuck up?  I know absolutely nothing about boats so I'm stumped here.  I saw Lauren sitting  there looking at the anchor and making hand signals, next thing I know she's pissed off and yelling at Kelley for not having her back and she seemed embarrassed.   What did I miss?  Was it her hand signals that everyone was reacting to?  What did she do wrong? 

Can somebody please help my dumb ass out here and tell me what I missed?   Like I said I know NOTHING about boats, boating, sailing or anything of that nature. I have a fear of any kind of water where I can't touch the bottom so no boats for me. 

You're not a dumbass, I don't think the show did a good job of making it clear, but the fuck up belonged to Kelley.  The captain was simply using Lauren to personify it because he had a feeling that Kelley wasn't properly explaining the deck's duties per his expectations, 4 charters into the season.   Kelley's kind of good for beating his own chest about how awesome he is, this was the captain's way of saying oh yeah?  Watch this.   I think it was especially poignant timing to come directly after the dirty window thing.

The way ya'll are dogging Kate is gonna make me look up how old she is.   If the answer is less than 43, I apologize in advance.  lol.

• Love 2

I loved Captain Lee's blog, especially the part about the radios. Not only did they not have their radios with them, they didn't seem to have each other's backs to answer someone else's radio when Lee called. I'm not a sailor or a yachtie, but there is a whole safety aspect of their jobs that the crew seems to be missing. The first mate crashed the guests on some coral and came feet and maybe inches away from severely injuring or killing them and no one had their fucking radio with them. This thing could have been catastrophic and the crew was basically like duuuh derp.

What the guests had just experienced was scary and Lee had the right idea to get them drinks and to smother them with attention and care so that they didn't fixate on the accident and didn't feel abandoned.

I agree that Ro seemed smothering. There was something very aggressive about how she was showing her affection.

We haven't heard anything about Kate and her lists, but I think Kelley needs his own. He's new to being a bosun and Kyle is new to being a deckhand on a yacht. This would be the perfect opportunity to give lists to everyone and remind the deck crew about what their duties are.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, breezy424 said:

It's actually fathoms when referring to water depth.  A fathom is equal to six feet.  A league is three nautical miles distance.

You can also use 'feet' to refer to depth but that's so not nautical. :)

That's what I get for going by Jules Verne.

• Love 3

I agree Kate looks much much older than her age and I'm not even saying this to be bitchy. She just does. I don't necessarily think it's the sun and sea air aging her since other yatchies don't have the same Benjamin Button sitch going on. 

also I think based on her 3 arrests and stuff, that there may have been truth to what Leon and Rocky said about her drinking on charter. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. And it seems like random comments for them to throw out. It is possible for someone to be a functional drinker or closet alcoholic and still be a high performing employee. I think Rocky said that not as a lying accusation but as pointing out Kay's not so squeeky clean or following Cap protocol or procedures herself. Rocky seems like the type to get really pissed off & flustered by perceived hypocrisy or gray areas when it comes to standards w authority, which was what caused her melt down w Eddie. JMHO. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

@ZaldamoWilder, 43 is being nice. I'm 51 and she looks older than I do. 

Girl the article I saw listed her as 33.  Like, born in 1983, 33.  What???  That cannot be right.  On more than one episode I have said well good for her that she still feels like yachting into her mid forties.   I owe ya'll an apology, carry on.

p.s. I realize I didn't even say it before but Lauren's mistake was that she was making up her hand signals, cap had no idea what, for example, *wiggly fingers* meant.

• Love 2
Just now, ZaldamoWilder said:

Girl the article I saw listed her as 33.  Like, born in 1983, 33.  What???  That cannot be right.  On more than one episode I have said well good for her that she still feels like yachting into her mid forties.   I owe ya'll an apology, carry on.

p.s. I realize I didn't even say it before but Lauren's mistake was that she was making up her hand signals, cap had no idea what, for example, *wiggly fingers* meant.

It is they took it from the police report.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

Earlier in the season  Trevor was using hand signals to convey info to Lee and Lee thought they were stupid (I think one was compared to a limp dick?). ... did he just think Trevor's brand of hand signals was stupid, or the hand signals in general? And is it possible that Lauren picked the hand signals from Trevor?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that Kate looked very uncomfortable with her girlfriend. She looked like she wanted to be anywhere but there when her girlfriend was kissing her.  I didn't even know they were allowed to have significant others visit the boat.

It's Kelly's job to make sure all of the deckhands know the proper hand/arm signals. Lauren, unfortunately, was the one chosen to prove that Kelly isn't exactly doing his job. I know she felt stupid, but I hope she realizes that it wasn't her fault. Kelly is too busy pushing himself on to Emily that he's not doing his job. When he laid his head on her chest, I was so annoyed. He is doing the most.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, McManda said:

Earlier in the season  Trevor was using hand signals to convey info to Lee and Lee thought they were stupid (I think one was compared to a limp dick?). ... did he just think Trevor's brand of hand signals was stupid, or the hand signals in general? And is it possible that Lauren picked the hand signals from Trevor?

That's a good question.  I'm not sure, but I know that Kelley knows how Lee wants it done and Lauren, Trevor and Kyle are new so for him not to walk them through it is just strange.  Maybe that's what she meant by him not having her back.  She knew he knew she didn't know what she was doing and (in her mind) could've shut the whole thing down by saying Captain she shouldn't be out there, I'm sorry, I haven't trained her properly.  I don't know how many guys are that dude.

Edited by ZaldamoWilder
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, trimthatfat said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that Kate looked very uncomfortable with her girlfriend. She looked like she wanted to be anywhere but there when her girlfriend was kissing her.  I didn't even know they were allowed to have significant others visit the boat.

It's Kelly's job to make sure all of the deckhands know the proper hand/arm signals. Lauren, unfortunately, was the one chosen to prove that Kelly isn't exactly doing his job. I know she felt stupid, but I hope she realizes that it wasn't her fault. Kelly is too busy pushing himself on to Emily that he's not doing his job. When he laid his head on her chest, I was so annoyed. He is doing the most.

Capt. Lee puts the blame for that particular failure completely on Lauren. He has criticism about Kelly but he was harsh on Lauren not just on the hand signals.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

I'll admit I haven't watched this show for a few seasons, but I know I watched the first (and maybe second) - I swear there was a visit from someone's significant other or family member before. Am I imagining things? It was during time off, though. Not while guests were on board. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, kassa said:

Love the bit about the accusation that he was terrified of Kate, and his saying if he thought her texting was an issue he would have somehow mustered the courage to talk to her about it.

I don't know about that.  Kate was texting so much she wasn't listening to Ben.  I would have told her to knock it off; I mean most employees are not allowed to text when they are supposed to be working.

Lee was right about Kelley, he doesn't know how to be both friendly and a boss.  If they feel that Kelley is their friend, they won't take him seriously as a boss,  that was Captain Lee's point about the windows; they were dirty and no one even noticed them or took it upon themselves to clean them without being asked.   He doesn't seem to be a fan of Ro though; maybe it's me but I didn't find Ro aggressive at all.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I don't know about that.  Kate was texting so much she wasn't listening to Ben.  I would have told her to knock it off; I mean most employees are not allowed to text when they are supposed to be working

The time they showed her testing Ben was just making small talk and Kate wasn't missing out on any of her duties and they twice showed Kate telling Ben when dinner was to be served at 9 pm she said it once and than they flashbacks to show her saying it again and the dude who wasn't on his phone was briefly pissed off.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, ketose said:

That's what I get for going by Jules Verne.

I presume Verne was referring to distance traveled while under the sea rather than how far down. 20,000 of any meaningful distance would be unreasonably deep for the 1800's, no matter how ahead of his time Nemo may have been.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I'll admit I haven't watched this show for a few seasons, but I know I watched the first (and maybe second) - I swear there was a visit from someone's significant other or family member before. Am I imagining things? It was during time off, though. Not while guests were on board. 

Yeah, didn't the gay deckhand (Oh, he was so sweet - I forgot his name) get a surprise visit from his fiance?  Didn't the fiance come aboard and surprise the deckhand?  Deckhand's name was Dave?

• Love 3
On 10/14/2016 at 6:19 AM, ghoulina said:

Not normally, but I don't think the idea of this particular relationship being salacious and likely to draw viewers was lost on production.  This visit just smacked of producer driven.  From the making a big deal of Ro not being able to come to...Hey!  Guess What!  You all get the day off at a swanky resort, and by the way, here's your girlfriend to surprise you!  Wink Wink, nudge nudge.  Bring the drama, maybe get another season.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

Besides that, they also knew it would rile up Ben. 

Exactly.  It had a bit of everything for every one.  

As a total aside, ever since taking a peek on google for the Kelley pics, I can't stop myself from chuckling at his last name.  So apropos.  Mr. Johnson, INDEED.  

2ilg6mb.jpg

• Love 3

I hope Bravo is paying Nico for his shilling - he is relentless on social media.  But today he posted a poll asking who would be watching the new episode vs who would be watching the debate.  The debate is tomorrow.  Bless his heart.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, mytmo said:

So Kate is dating Tommy Lee.

I have a crush on Kyle and am enjoying the budding relationship with Sierra.

I took this literally for a moment and wanted to rush my DVR and watch tonight's ep.  But then I realized you'd just seen Ro.

• Love 8
On 10/12/2016 at 5:00 PM, ryebread said:

Not just bacteria, but because they are living (breathing?) creatures, they can inject you with venom stuff - for lack of the scientific term. LOL.  I brushed up against a reef and immediately it felt like my arm was on fire.  Got back on the boat and my husband generously provided a beer can of pee to pour on it because we knew that will take the sting out of a jellyfish sting. LOL.  It didn't work.  Back at the hotel I was instructed to put it in hot, hot water, scrub the heck out of it and then they gave me some kind of talcum powder stuff to sprinkle on.  It hurt for 2 days.

Peeing on someone who got stung by  jellyfish can actually make it worse.  It can make the stingers release more venom.  You shouldn't even wash it with freshwater, because any disturbance like a change in concentration to the salts on the inside and outside of the stinging cells sets them off and releases more venom.  So rinsing it with saltwater is your best bet.  Urine changes in dilution so if it's less salty than the sea, it's going to set off more of the venom.  Vinegar, however, is a good liquid to rinse the cnidocytes (stinging cells) off with.  Or if you're weird and carry 5% acetic acid around instead of a gallon of vinegar.  Then you go and have a shave.  Seriously, a razor can scrape off the bits of tentacle and cnidocytes left and shaving cream is good to coat them with.  You can even mix seawater and sand, rub it on after the pain has lessened and scrape it with a credit card.  Don't rub it before the pain has reduced and before you've rinsed it as touching it makes the venom fire.  OTC painkillers are fine for measly American jellyfish.  You need morphine and antivenom for some of that crap down under., 

Vinegar also works for sunburn.  Acetic acid is a mild anti-inflammatory and it takes a lot of the pain out of sunburn.  Vinegar is used to clean coral cuts because of the acetic acid and the stinging that it can cause.  It helps with the stinging, which is probably the worst thing you feel right when you get cut on coral.  That's why the staff had vinegar on hand in amounts sufficient to clean out cuts from coral.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Eater of Worlds said:

Peeing on someone who got stung by  jellyfish can actually make it worse.  It can make the stingers release more venom.  You shouldn't even wash it with freshwater, because any disturbance like a change in concentration to the salts on the inside and outside of the stinging cells sets them off and releases more venom.  So rinsing it with saltwater is your best bet.  Urine changes in dilution so if it's less salty than the sea, it's going to set off more of the venom.  Vinegar, however, is a good liquid to rinse the cnidocytes (stinging cells) off with.  Or if you're weird and carry 5% acetic acid around instead of a gallon of vinegar.  Then you go and have a shave.  Seriously, a razor can scrape off the bits of tentacle and cnidocytes left and shaving cream is good to coat them with.  You can even mix seawater and sand, rub it on after the pain has lessened and scrape it with a credit card.  Don't rub it before the pain has reduced and before you've rinsed it as touching it makes the venom fire.  OTC painkillers are fine for measly American jellyfish.  You need morphine and antivenom for some of that crap down under., 

Vinegar also works for sunburn.  Acetic acid is a mild anti-inflammatory and it takes a lot of the pain out of sunburn.  Vinegar is used to clean coral cuts because of the acetic acid and the stinging that it can cause.  It helps with the stinging, which is probably the worst thing you feel right when you get cut on coral.  That's why the staff had vinegar on hand in amounts sufficient to clean out cuts from coral.

Yeah, I learned that urine didn't work.  It was just the two of us on a rented boat with nothing but beer, water and sandwiches.  After the urine didn't help, I did rinse it with seawater again, then fresh.  Still hurt like hell until I got treated back at the hotel.  We have a vacation coming up in December.  I'll take your advice and get some acetic acid.   I'm surprised some of these boat rental places don't provide something like that.  Or at least a heads up that having something like the acid or vinegar onboard might come in handy.  Come to think of it, there wasn't even a first aid kit.  Next time I'll bring one.

Here's a great site with step by step directions, including vinegar and unflavored meat tenderizer made with papain.  Carry some cheap shaving cream and a razor too.  http://www.vims.edu/bayinfo/faqs/jellyfish_sting.php

Everytime I see Trevor in the beginning of the show or there's an old episode, I laugh because he bought that 14k car and now doesn't have the income he expected to pay for it.  I know he got a job soon after but I still laugh at the inconvenience he caused himself.

• Love 2