Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: The One Where the Charter Guests Almost Die

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

17 minutes ago, terrymct said:

They almost ran over the two daughters with the boat.

I think it was more than that, though I guess that covers the "almost died". 

They fell out of the tube, apparently over some coral. Then the crew made a big deal about getting them off the coral, there were big waves, the boat rushed back toward them, almost hit them, Nico jumped out to grab them (not sure about the timeline on the last two events)... it seemed like there was more to it than "oops, almost hit you with the boat, sorry", like they were concerned they'd be swept away by the waves, which necessitated the rush with the boat and Nico jumping out.

That said, the guests seemed to not be too concerned they were almost chopped to bits. 

• Love 1

I'm not sure in all the confusion that the guests realized how close that boat came to them. The first emergency seemed to be that they were over the reef and the waves could throw them onto the coral. (One of the girls did get cuts on her foot.) Then the second was that the boat came so close to them. Captain Lee was very clear that any accident happening to the guests was the fault of the boat crew and it was their responsibility to tend to injuries in the best possible manner. 

• Love 6

Kate and Ro are in love. Fabulous!

Ben isnt thrilled with it. I dont know why, but this pleases me. Bens been bugging me so this is his payback. Haha

I cant fault Sierra about a "painkiller" i would go for the tylenol too probably. She is a ditz though most of the time. Glad i dont have to work with her.

I dont get why Captain Lee had Lauren  do the anchor. I get a feeling we missed something.

Im wondering if Kelley is going to be the next one gone or Lauren. 

I agree with the others that have said this ep was kinda boring

32 minutes ago, tinaw said:

I dont get why Captain Lee had Lauren  do the anchor. I get a feeling we missed something.

He put Connie through basically the same exercise last season. And she nailed it.

So, my guess? Pretty simple. Lee misses the hell out of Connie. (And possibly Eddie too.) Can't say I blame him.

I think Kelley comes off as desperate. 

Nothing wrong with liking small women; I'm only 5'2" am I supposed to date men who are my height?  Or is that not "appropriate?"

I didn't like what Captain Lee did to Lauren; I get his point but IMO that was a dick move on his part.  

2 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Google "Kelley Johnson naked" and scroll.

Damn boy.

I think Kate is tired of being a "chief stew," I sense she's over the whole thing.

• Love 2

Yes, we had a preview last week with the signalling scene that the Captain didn't like what was going on with the jr deckhands -- it's Kelley's job to make sure they do things right, and every time they set/pull the anchor he's right there with them, and yet she's still waggling her fingers (and I think the other guy wasn't any better?)

Part of being the boss is stepping up and saying "On this boat this is how we signal the captain - he likes his signals crisp etc etc."  And you run them through it.  Takes a few minutes.  But since Kelley wasn't paying attention to what they were doing, Capt Lee pulled him up to the wheelhouse to show him just how preposterous it looked from his vantage point.

I do think on Capt Lee's part, it would have been good management to pull her aside afterwards and say "it's not your fault you don't know.  It's his fault you don't know. "

• Love 5
11 hours ago, queenjen said:

This is the second time that Kelley has had his unfortunate and staggering flatulence 'caught' on air. And I'm with you, HunterHunted, he's got lame game, cliched game. Take off shirt, flex, 'will you apply sunscreen to my rippling bronzed Adonis body?', I'm taking you down the slide!! So I can exploit bodily contact and when then that wasn't enough, he buries his face in her crotch. I think too much lesbian PDA did something to Kelley's pheromones and he reverted to his most primal memory of male female relations: breastfeeding. It was just painfully weird to watch. And Ben! 'Is this really my circus?? Are these really my monkeys? Cosmo!!'. The last segment was surreal. Nico is out of it, firmly in the naughty corner after disgracing himself last week. He had the best chance, too. Good work, Nico. I like him though. He is cheery and took all this on the chin and some of his quips about Snr Dickhand, Trevor, were priceless. No one has mentioned Trevor!! 

I was amazed Cpt Lee didn't rip into all of them during the tip meeting, what was with that?? Especially Kate, when she didn't answer the radio and he had to physically come down from the wheelhouse in order to 'introduce some levity' after the boating near miss. AND make a jugful of Painkillers himself. Cpt Lee is HOT! He has SKILLS! I'd be really interested to know how he is feeling about Kate IRL about now. I have heard publicly only that he has said he is 'disappointed'. I didn't look up how the court thing went down, that should have been a week ago.

Kate is definitely slipping. Physically she is looking harrowed and strung out. Her Chief Stew game is way down. The endless texting...I'm really amazed Ben didn't do more to call her out on that. Maybe he feels that coming from him, it would look too much like jealousy. Her heart and her head are really not in the game this season. Maybe it is her relationship with Ro, but given how THAT ended and the multiple mentions of Ambien this episode and Kate's prior record regarding prescription drugs...attractive party girls like Kate don't take to ageing very well. Especially when their identity and career choices are based on their looks. It's like Kate is having a mid life crisis. I think that what is easy to interpret as jealousy on Ben's part, may also be major side eye about the strange choices he sees Kate making, including the gag inducing amount of PDA and pschotic giggling. Ben DOES know Kate quite well and she is really off. As others observed, she doesn't seem comfortable with Ro's presence at all, or her physicality. Her body language was not reading as receptive. I think the idea of a leap into the lady pond appealed to Kate's idea of herself, but once she was actually confronted with a real human being attached to this, she froze. And then apparently exploded. 

And Ben's below radar long game campaign for Emily began this episode!! I knew it. She's not interested in Kelley, Nico did his dash, Kyle is a  psycho wrangler and not fazed by Sierra, so the field just opened. Like a poster above, I do not see the attraction with Emily either. She's awkward and freaky looking to me. She IS a smart girl, good private school, the right kind of English (unlike Julia!), academically gifted...right up Ben's alley. Ben's a professional. He let the young 'uns strut and burn out, NOW he'll make his play. 

Lauren I feel sorry for. She's attractive, quick witted and so overlooked. She's possibly a better match for Kelley. OR Kyle. Especially as she's an Aussie and we share a lot of cultural similarities with the Brits. 

No more Ro on the boat. I wonder how long it will be before Kelley needs to call Amy for advice. He obviously needs it for backchatting Cpt Lee like that. If the man wants clean windows and ironed shorts and a bowl of Cheerios in the wheelhouse before 7am, you haul your crew out of their bunks and get on it. Foolish boy. I miss the shamed and disgraced tugboat Captain! Come back, Bosun Eddie, all is forgiven!

You had me until you wished Bosun Eddie back.  Guy is a low down, lying dirtbag.  He can stay on his little tugboat in Rhode Island or wherever that little turd was from.

As far as how Lee is feeling about Kate right now, he tweeted after she was arrested that he was shocked but wasn't going to rush to judgment nor would he ignore the facts once he found out what they were.  Seems like the Captainly thing to do.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, RedHawk said:

the waves could throw them onto the coral

While that bit is not "almost dying" (and I agree there was other bad stuff) getting stuck on coral is really unpleasant. The waves toss you and you really have no control and you can get pretty darned banged up.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, dleighg said:

While that bit is not "almost dying" (and I agree there was other bad stuff) getting stuck on coral is really unpleasant. The waves toss you and you really have no control and you can get pretty darned banged up.

Actually, beyond getting banged up, you can die from coral poisoning. Sounds weird, but it's a thing.  Even minor scrapes by non-poisonous coral can lead to serious infection.  But yeah, being tossed head first into a coral bed hard enough would be a nasty way to go.  Closed casket for sure.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, rho said:

And of course Capt Lee proves this series is nothing without him (looking at you Capt Mark of BD Med) by whipping up half a dozen painkillers in no time. He even knows how to use a lemon zester. This man is a treasure.

Captain Lee really leaped into action after that boating accident.   I loved how he looked at the rum in the blender, shook his head and dumped the rest of the bottle in.  He is a treasure.

That said whoever was driving that speed boat fucked up.  The guests were hammered and should have been driven more slowly given the conditions.

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I didn't like what Captain Lee did to Lauren; I get his point but IMO that was a dick move on his part.  

I think Captain Lee was getting full up on the crew not performing up to what his standards which he felt they should know four charters in.  A visual aid was necessary and if Lauren was embarrassed that was on Kelly imo for not making sure she was trained  right.  I think Captain Lee feels like the buck stops with the Captain of the ship.  So any client/passenger dissatisfaction, any injury to passenger or crew, any damage to the boat, he's ultimately going to answer for .  Since situations at sea can easily be life or death I do think he needs to be a bit of a hard ass on occasion.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, zulualpha said:

That said whoever was driving that speed boat fucked up.  The guests were hammered and should have been driven more slowly given the conditions.

Preach.  As drunk as they were, the driver could have been driving at half the speed, and the guests would've still thought they were on the greatest ride ever.

And WHO tubes over/or near coral reef?  Even sitting in the tube, if they'd been dragged over coral....ow.  The bottom of the tube would be shredded. Speaking of chewed ass, I wonder if Lee chewed the driver for that?  Because dirty windows seem like less of a big deal than that.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, ryebread said:

Actually, beyond getting banged up, you can die from coral poisoning. Sounds weird, but it's a thing.  Even minor scrapes by non-poisonous coral can lead to serious infection.  But yeah, being tossed head first into a coral bed hard enough would be a nasty way to go.  Closed casket for sure.

I can believe about the coral poisoning because when one of the crew member (I can't remember who) saw the cuts on the girls foot he said they had to put vinegar on it right away because there's a lot of bacteria in the coral.

7 minutes ago, zulualpha said:

Captain Lee really leaped into action after that boating accident.   I loved how he looked at the rum in the blender, shook his head and dumped the rest of the bottle in.  He is a treasure.

I think Captain Lee was getting full up on the crew not performing up to what his standards which he felt they should know four charters in.  A visual aid was necessary and if Lauren was embarrassed that was on Kelly imo for not making sure she was trained  right.  I think Captain Lee feels like the buck stops with the Captain of the ship.  So any client/passenger dissatisfaction, any injury to passenger or crew, any damage to the boat, he's ultimately going to answer for .  Since situations at sea can easily be life or death I do think he needs to be a bit of a hard ass on occasion.

I think whoever was driving the speedboat screwed up as well.  Who was that?  I also agree the Captain needs to be a hard ass and the reason why he went to Kelley instead of straight to Lauren is because of Chain of Command.  Kelley is the one that needs to keep an eye on his crew and train them correctly.  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Sai said:

I think whoever was driving the speedboat screwed up as well.  Who was that?

I thought they put his name up for half a minute. First Mate _____

I think there are 2 other members of the crew that they don't show. Last week when Captain Lee divided up the tip money, he said it was between "x" amount of people, which was 2 more than how many were sitting there. I think these must be two people right below Cap't Lee that aren't really shown. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Sai said:

I can believe about the coral poisoning because when one of the crew member (I can't remember who) saw the cuts on the girls foot he said they had to put vinegar on it right away because there's a lot of bacteria in the coral.

I think whoever was driving the speedboat screwed up as well.  Who was that?  I also agree the Captain needs to be a hard ass and the reason why he went to Kelley instead of straight to Lauren is because of Chain of Command.  Kelley is the one that needs to keep an eye on his crew and train them correctly.  

It was Barry the 1st Mate.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Sai said:

Not just bacteria, but because they are living (breathing?) creatures, they can inject you with venom stuff - for lack of the scientific term. LOL.  I brushed up against a reef and immediately it felt like my arm was on fire.  Got back on the boat and my husband generously provided a beer can of pee to pour on it because we knew that will take the sting out of a jellyfish sting. LOL.  It didn't work.  Back at the hotel I was instructed to put it in hot, hot water, scrub the heck out of it and then they gave me some kind of talcum powder stuff to sprinkle on.  It hurt for 2 days.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It was Barry the 1st Mate.

Ok, so Barry the First Mate, is he on the boat all the time like the rest of the crew?  I would think so.  Why don't they ever show him?  Why isn't he part of the cast?  Does he get part of the tip?  I remember in one episode Captain told them how much the tip was and they would split it 8 ways but I counted the crew and only 6 were seated there.  Does the Captain get part of the tip?  So many questions!!!  Lol

5 minutes ago, ryebread said:

Not just bacteria, but because they are living (breathing?) creatures, they can inject you with venom stuff - for lack of the scientific term. LOL.  I brushed up against a reef and immediately it felt like my arm was on fire.  Got back on the boat and my husband generously provided a beer can of pee to pour on it because we knew that will take the sting out of a jellyfish sting. LOL.  It didn't work.  Back at the hotel I was instructed to put it in hot, hot water, scrub the heck out of it and then they gave me some kind of talcum powder stuff to sprinkle on.  It hurt for 2 days.

How nice of your hubby to come to the rescue but Eeeewwww!!!  ;)  Haha

• Love 2
Just now, Sai said:

Ok, so Barry the First Mate, is he on the boat all the time like the rest of the crew?  I would think so.  Why don't they ever show him?  Why isn't he part of the cast?  Does he get part of the tip?  I remember in one episode Captain told them how much the tip was and they would split it 8 ways but I counted the crew and only 6 were seated there.  Does the Captain get part of the tip?  So many questions!!!  Lol

How nice of your hubby to come to the rescue but Eeeewwww!!!  ;)  Haha

Barry and Larry were introduced in the first episode they just aren't photogenic enough to be regular cast members. There have always been other crew that you see occasionally.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, Adultosaurus said:

I don't have an issue with that - ppl have types.  How is that yuck?  Kelley obvs isn't looking for his one true love - it's ok to have a physical fling.

I think that the problem is that he associates tiny with needing his protection in a way that objectifies the woman. It's fine to like a physical type. It's a problem though when someone sees a physical type and think that it indicates a certain character, personality, way of interacting, etc. 

16 hours ago, beesknees said:

Wasn't digging or feeling Ro.  That laugh sounded like a honking horn.  Agree with too much Kate/Ro PDA.  I didn't need to see that for 5 mins., 1 min. would have been enough.  Kelly's becoming annoying where Emily is concerned.  

I thought I saw in the season highlights that Sierra was crying saying she felt like she'd been used?  Wonder if it was because someone slept with her or .... ??  I don't get the vibe that Sierra is certifiably BSC like Nico and Kelley keep referring to.  A dim bulb maybe but cut your penis off in the middle of the night with a butter knife?  No, I'm not feeling that at this point in the show although it is early.

Sierra's got a very pretty face and a slammin' body.  She has amazing boobs and they're real.  I'm surprised Kelley and Nico don't want to sleep with her and favor Emily instead.  I hate Emily's hair color (it looks like a bad dye job) and when she wears those huge black eyeglasses she looks like a straight-up owl.  I don't see the attraction.  Oh, and Emily?  Shhhhhh, shhhhhh.  It's okay for Kelley to remain topless any chance he gets.

Yes that Sierra preview is interesting. It seemed to suggest relations with Kelley. 

I feel the same about Emily and Sierra in terms of appearance. And Kelley with Emily is just embarrassing. 

14 hours ago, rho said:

Even though Ben was real salty this episode, I have to agree that the PDA was revolting. I was eye-rolling at the constant texting. If I were Ben, that phone might have ended up 100 knots underwater. And that laugh...cringeworthy! Ro and Kate came off like they were putting on a show but honestly, I think Lauren and Sierra made a more convincing pair of lesbians, sharing a lounge chair and grinning like devils at Kate's sapphic display. I know Sierra is a ditz and should probably not be allowed anywhere near heavy machinery (yachts included) but she always has the other girls' backs and I think that's something to be admired.

14 hours ago, queenjen said:

Kate is definitely slipping. Physically she is looking harrowed and strung out. Her Chief Stew game is way down. The endless texting...I'm really amazed Ben didn't do more to call her out on that. Maybe he feels that coming from him, it would look too much like jealousy. Her heart and her head are really not in the game this season. Maybe it is her relationship with Ro, but given how THAT ended and the multiple mentions of Ambien this episode and Kate's prior record regarding prescription drugs...attractive party girls like Kate don't take to ageing very well. Especially when their identity and career choices are based on their looks. It's like Kate is having a mid life crisis. I think that what is easy to interpret as jealousy on Ben's part, may also be major side eye about the strange choices he sees Kate making, including the gag inducing amount of PDA and pschotic giggling. Ben DOES know Kate quite well and she is really off. As others observed, she doesn't seem comfortable with Ro's presence at all, or her physicality. Her body language was not reading as receptive. I think the idea of a leap into the lady pond appealed to Kate's idea of herself, but once she was actually confronted with a real human being attached to this, she froze. And then apparently exploded. 

Agreed that Kate seemed very off once Ro arrived. I think some of that is the caught off guard/surprise of Ro arriving unexpectedly, but Kate didn't seem to get comfortable as the day progressed. And if I were one of the other crew members, I would feel kind of annoyed by Ro arriving. The day at the resort was meant to be a nice experience for the crew. Having someone's significant other come along throws off the dynamic. The PDA is just uncomfortable for everyone. All are correct that Ro's laugh is rough. 

3 hours ago, kassa said:

Yes, we had a preview last week with the signalling scene that the Captain didn't like what was going on with the jr deckhands -- it's Kelley's job to make sure they do things right, and every time they set/pull the anchor he's right there with them, and yet she's still waggling her fingers (and I think the other guy wasn't any better?)

Part of being the boss is stepping up and saying "On this boat this is how we signal the captain - he likes his signals crisp etc etc."  And you run them through it.  Takes a few minutes.  But since Kelley wasn't paying attention to what they were doing, Capt Lee pulled him up to the wheelhouse to show him just how preposterous it looked from his vantage point.

I do think on Capt Lee's part, it would have been good management to pull her aside afterwards and say "it's not your fault you don't know.  It's his fault you don't know. "

It really seems like there should have been a TH where someone demonstrated or explained the hand signals and told the audience what can go wrong if the signals are poorly executed. 

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, indiscutable said:

Kate didn't seem to get comfortable as the day progressed.

I thought she definitely looked uncomfortable, like if she didn't reciprocate the affection Ro would be mad at her, but that she wasn't really comfortable going at it in front of her colleagues. Jeez, what normal person would be?

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 12

Ro gotta go!! She's beyond annoying and I'm not surprised at all shit unfolded like it did.

Kelley strikes me as being the kind of guy who is not used to being turned down. And when he is, he does not take it well and makes it his personal mission to change the girl's mind. It was gross with Jennice and it's gross here. I'm really kind of going to need Emily to say something though. I was giving the side eye at her talking heads when she wasn't objecting in the moment.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, terrymct said:

" the so-called near-death experience of the guests; is it me, or is it unclear what even happened, aside from one of the souses cutting her foot on some coral"

They almost ran over the two daughters with the boat. Remember that the boat has a sharp propeller that can cut you to ribbons. The young women also could have hit their heads on the underside of the boat and been knocked unconscious.

A childhood friend died from a head injury like that, although he wasn't wearing a life vest when he fell out of a moving boat and hit his head. I've also seen several people cut by propellers. Horrible stuff.

Years ago, I was diving and had to take a decompression stop about 10 ft below the surface. There was a little buoy with a dive flag over us. A boat operator for some reason decided to slalom around the dive flag or something rather than avoiding us. Luckily we were floating face down with our tanks upwards. The bottom of the boat and the prop grazed our tanks and sent us spinning. Left marks in the metal of the tanks. Seriously scary stuff. If we'd been face up, we could have died that day.

That is crazy,  that dumb boat driver!  Thanks for sharing that,  very interesting.  

I forgot they almost hit the 2 girls.  I remember when they first showed it I thought they were just trying to get close to them and grab them out of the water.  On the second viewing they almost hit those girls.  They had to be shaken  after that.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Uncle Benzene said:

He put Connie through basically the same exercise last season. And she nailed it.

So, my guess? Pretty simple. Lee misses the hell out of Connie. (And possibly Eddie too.) Can't say I blame him.

I know Im missing Eddie and Connie.

I guess it just seemed different when Connie did the anchor drop. I think your right though

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Barry and Larry were introduced in the first episode they just aren't photogenic enough to be regular cast members. There have always been other crew that you see occasionally.

I don't think that it's that they aren't photogenic enough. They are real, actual crew members who are needed to run the boat, and who don't need to be involved in the drama. They probably prefer to do their jobs than be on a goofy reality show.

• Love 15
20 minutes ago, delicatecutter said:

Ro gotta go!! She's beyond annoying and I'm not surprised at all shit unfolded like it did.

Ben was right, Ro looked redic with that black hair, black hat, black shirt, black shorts, black shoes/boots... come on' girl, your in the islands! Get with the fashion program!  She does have nice white teeth. That's about all I got for her.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I don't think that it's that they aren't photogenic enough. They are real, actual crew members who are needed to run the boat, and who don't need to be involved in the drama. They probably prefer to do their jobs than be on a goofy reality show.

ITA. They are there to relieve Capt Lee when he needs to get to sleep or have dinner or what ever. They aren't there to mingle with the crew and try to fuck everything in sight. They have actual responsible jobs and peoples lives are in their hands. The Capt needs to have backup that doesn't have shit for brains. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 9
14 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Well given that Barry was the person completely responsible for the incident that put the guests at risk it seems he can bring the drama and might not be that great at his job.

• Love 4

There's nothing inherently wrong with Kelley saying he prefers small girls. But he was saying that he liked to be able to pick them up and toss them around, even if he meant it in a playful way and not to be physically abusive, it's insinuating he thinks of them like toys. I myself am 4'10" and would not really appreciate my boyfriend thinking he can toss me around like a football just because of my size. He also said something about wanting to be her "man" and protect her, it just screams insecurity/masculinity issues. He says shit like this constantly about women. I think he wants to feel like he can "dominate" them, hence why he's not interested in "tough" girls like Lauren or Kate. IMO the only reason he's going for Emily is because he views her as a vulnerable and easy target that he can dominate. Too bad for him that she can still overpower him with her wits. 

I saw his dick pic. And while he indeed is well endowed in that area, that personally doesn't impress me or appeal to me and Emily expressed the same. Especially for us small girls, I think the LAST thing a small girl wants is a big dick. Not every girl cares about dick size and honestly Kelley is lucky he at least has that going for him, because he doesn't have much else to offer in terms of a great personality, intellect, etc. About the only thing I do respect him for is the fact he served in the military. Oh sure, he has a nice body and no doubt is a physically strong guy, definitely the kind of guy you'd want walking beside you if you had to walk to your car alone at night, but honestly I personally prefer guys like Nico, cute and sensitive, and don't look like they're on steroids. Kelley is just so hyper masculine or something. I don't blame Emily for being turned off by him, especially since he tries way too hard with her too. But I also think he is just not her type to begin with and he's not mine either. How is it possible that he is related to such a wonderful person like Amy? I would rather have Amy back this season than her brother. 

I guess if you have to come close to nearly being ripped to shreds by the boat, it's at least a pretty nice compensation to be saved by a cutie like Nico. The girls didn't seem too shaken up by what happened after, they were probably too drunk to really know what had just happened or maybe they didn't realize the true danger they were in. They might have just thought the worst thing that happened was cutting themselves on the coral reef. 

I'm waiting for the moment Captain Lee says "Come here so I can rip your head off." Want to know who and what makes him so angry (my guess is that it's directed at Kelley for something). 

Yes I didn't understand why Ro was allowed to be there or why she was allowed to come visit Kate during work (even if they were technically on their day off). It does seem to me like Capt Lee has some favoritism towards Kate. As noted by other posters, why didn't he talk to Kate about Sierra not knowing how to make Painkillers or did he not notice her constantly texting Ro? But he chews Kelley out for the windows and why Lauren doesn't know how to drop the anchor. I do understand his frustration concerning that. 

I think that Kate was uncomfortable with the PDA, not only in front of her co-workers, but in front of the cameras. That could be why she looked uncomfortable. I did think her girlfriend was pretty though. I agree the laugh was WTF. 

• Love 2

At first I thought the PDA overkill was funny but as it went on my opinion changed from amusement to disdain. The overall picture is that it just sad to be 30+ and still acting like a lovesick teenager.  Those women were well aware that they were being watched by the rest of the crew, the other patrons, the TV film crew and ultimately us.  I don't know if it is one of them or both of them, but if you are that needy it is no wonder that the relationship went down in flames a la The Best of Jerry Springer.

I don't mind Kelley describing the kind of girl that he likes or his attempts to woo said girl.  He's so clueless that, to me, he is more like a big clumsy puppy dog than anything else.  He just doesn't seem to know the first thing about getting a nice girl.  Paging sister Amy... Amy you are needed here for sisterly advice.

I hope Kyle is in it more.  He's like a breath of fresh air.

• Love 4

I also think considering that Kate has had several DUIs/arrests plus the latest domestic violence scandal, she should be dumped next season and Amy brought back to be chief stew. She's better at it than Kate anyway, IMO. I like Emily and Sierra enough that they can be kept as second and third stews. Kelley should be gone next season, he's clearly not cut out to be a boss. But I'm not sure I would want Eddie back. I like Nico and Lauren enough to be kept on as deckhands, though I'm not sure if they are as good at their jobs as Connie (and Emile?) were. Haven't seen enough of Kyle yet to know if he's actually any good at his job. Ben seems like he hates his job but I don't know who else they'd get to replace him (please not Leon again) and he is an audience favorite. Plus one of the few original cast members/familiar faces left. But Ben is more enjoyable when he's with Kate and vice versa. As others mentioned, Kate looks tired and haggard. And with all her legal issues, I think she should leave the show and maybe get some personal help or something.

• Love 4

One other thing Kelley did in this episode that annoyed me was him hugging Lauren when she was upset. I mean, okay it's nice that he was concerned and wanted to make her feel better. But I can imagine if any of the male deckhands were crying, he'd tell them to suck it up and stop or get kicked off the boat. He shouldn't be treating Lauren any differently than he would treat the guys. Once again, he saw an opportunity to be a "protective man" and took it. No boss would ever hug their subordinates in the workplace and especially not male bosses to female subordinates. Kelley is more interested in being their friends than their boss. He has no clue how to be a leader. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ryebread said:

I agree that coral can be dangerous, nothing to play with.  I want to add that warm water works on jellyfish stings too.  We tried pee too first, luckily my husband knew this trick.  But if you have vinegar,  that is supposed to work.

As drunk as those girls were, count me among those who think the boat driver was being reckless. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, zulualpha said:

This is what I'm still confused about. HOW did Lauren fuck up?  I know absolutely nothing about boats so I'm stumped here.  I saw Lauren sitting  there looking at the anchor and making hand signals, next thing I know she's pissed off and yelling at Kelley for not having her back and she seemed embarrassed.   What did I miss?  Was it her hand signals that everyone was reacting to?  What did she do wrong? 

Can somebody please help my dumb ass out here and tell me what I missed?   Like I said I know NOTHING about boats, boating, sailing or anything of that nature. I have a fear of any kind of water where I can't touch the bottom so no boats for me. 

• Love 2

I'm with you, I feel like we missed something too. I think she was telling Lee the anchor was up and he knew there was no way it could have been all the way up so soon. So either she didn't know how to read how far along the anchor was, her hand signals are incorrect, or both. That's about all I got out of it.

• Love 2

I know nothing about boating, but her hand signals looked like shit to me.  She also said the anchor was up when it wasn't all the way up yet.  Capt. Lee said something like "You sure?  It was out 3 shots." and then the next time she said it was up he said "You sure this time?"  She definitely didn't seem very confident in what she was doing.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, rho said:

Even though Ben was real salty this episode, I have to agree that the PDA was revolting. I was eye-rolling at the constant texting. If I were Ben, that phone might have ended up 100 knots underwater. And that laugh...cringeworthy! Ro and Kate came off like they were putting on a show but honestly, I think Lauren and Sierra made a more convincing pair of lesbians, sharing a lounge chair and grinning like devils at Kate's sapphic display. I know Sierra is a ditz and should probably not be allowed anywhere near heavy machinery (yachts included) but she always has the other girls' backs and I think that's something to be admired.

I think it's leagues when you talk about water depth.

4 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

One other thing Kelley did in this episode that annoyed me was him hugging Lauren when she was upset. I mean, okay it's nice that he was concerned and wanted to make her feel better. But I can imagine if any of the male deckhands were crying, he'd tell them to suck it up and stop or get kicked off the boat. He shouldn't be treating Lauren any differently than he would treat the guys. Once again, he saw an opportunity to be a "protective man" and took it. No boss would ever hug their subordinates in the workplace and especially not male bosses to female subordinates. Kelley is more interested in being their friends than their boss. He has no clue how to be a leader. 

Of course he hugged her. Girls catch feelings.

• Love 4
On 10/11/2016 at 7:55 PM, pinkelephant3 said:

Sorry, wrong quite and can't delete.

Ro's laugh reminds me of Nevis and Butthead's grunting laugh.

How kind of the Captain to accommodate Ben's custard baking efforts by moving the boat to calmer waters. Perfect little nugget from Ben.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Uncle Benzene said:

I think he did both to prove a point though. Eddie had been training Connie all season. I believe he dropped anchor with both of them watching the first time and made sure Emile followed his/Capt Lee's specifications. After that Emile, who despite his immaturity in the romance dept, was fully qualified to pull up anchor. Connie was with either him or Eddie every time they pulled up anchor and they talked her though the process. I also remember her asking a lot of questions. By the time he tested Connie, she had a full season of training, and I'm pretty sure there was a promotion of sort attached.

On the flip side, Nico was struggling just as hard as Lauren when they did it together. It was really luck of the draw that landed her in that position. Meanwhile Kelley's been too oblivious to notice his crew is under qualified and ill prepared. Why isn't he on anchor? Would he even realize they were doing it wrong if Capt Lee hadn't pointed it out. 

Although her behavior was immature, I get where Lauren is coming from. It came as a surprise and the lack of preamble made it come across as a punishment like "Let's all sit here and watch Lauren fuck up." But then again, she knows she has more to learn and hasn't made the same effort as Connie to study up and prepare for the next one.

So yeah, in many ways Lauren and Kelley are the budget version of Eddie and Connie. It definitely makes me miss Connie. I wonder why she wasn't back this season. I loved her and she didn't self-sabotage on screen. All that said, Capt Lee had enough confidence in Lauren, despite her lack of knowledge, to trust she wouldn't damage the boat. 

4 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

I also think considering that Kate has had several DUIs/arrests plus the latest domestic violence scandal, she should be dumped next season and Amy brought back to be chief stew. She's better at it than Kate anyway, IMO. I like Emily and Sierra enough that they can be kept as second and third stews. Kelley should be gone next season, he's clearly not cut out to be a boss. But I'm not sure I would want Eddie back. I like Nico and Lauren enough to be kept on as deckhands, though I'm not sure if they are as good at their jobs as Connie (and Emile?) were. Haven't seen enough of Kyle yet to know if he's actually any good at his job. Ben seems like he hates his job but I don't know who else they'd get to replace him (please not Leon again) and he is an audience favorite. Plus one of the few original cast members/familiar faces left. But Ben is more enjoyable when he's with Kate and vice versa. As others mentioned, Kate looks tired and haggard. And with all her legal issues, I think she should leave the show and maybe get some personal help or something.

I don't know if that's the best idea. In theory it sounds brilliant and I always wondered why she never mentioned being a chief stew on other seasons off camera. But I have a hunch she might go the way of Kelley. She's eager to please and doesn't strike me as much of a leader. I don't know that she could delegate. Or worse yet, she goes by way of Adrienne who is just too frantic and panicky with the added stress. I saw glimpses of that on her first season when Kate and Kat turned on her. I like Amy. Let's not tarnish my image of her.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, ketose said:

I think it's leagues when you talk about water depth.

It's actually fathoms when referring to water depth.  A fathom is equal to six feet.  A league is three nautical miles distance.

You can also use 'feet' to refer to depth but that's so not nautical. :)

• Love 4
7 hours ago, ryebread said:

Preach.  As drunk as they were, the driver could have been driving at half the speed, and the guests would've still thought they were on the greatest ride ever.

And WHO tubes over/or near coral reef?  Even sitting in the tube, if they'd been dragged over coral....ow.  The bottom of the tube would be shredded. Speaking of chewed ass, I wonder if Lee chewed the driver for that?  Because dirty windows seem like less of a big deal than that.

Who drives over a coral reef, you say??  AN INEXPERIENCED STUPID ENGINEER/DRIVER.  (But of course you already knew that times a thousand).  What the hell was wrong with that driver?!  Is it just me?  Thank gosh those kids were just so drunk and didn't know the difference.

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

And that was the "real" crew.

Yep, and I correct myself.  It's "inexperienced" NOT "unexperienced".  But you are a thousand percent right.  You get me.  Also, I have never heard of a drink called a "Painkiller" until last season.  Never Googled it but now I have.  I may like me some Painkillers .....   (Sorry, Sierra.  I don't want/am not looking for Ibuprofin).  RADIO CAPTAIN LEE TO THE GALLEY - STAT !!!

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 1

Yeah I did feel bad for Lauren because I think she took it as Capt Lee humiliating her, even if that obviously wasn't the intention. I'm sure it had to feel embarrassing that she was brought out in front of everyone (cameras included) to perform a task they all knew she couldn't really do. And then tell her afterwards she didn't do it right. I guess Kelley is so dense and oblivious he needed to be shown in front of his own eyes that she didn't know what she was doing. 

I could understand Lauren being angry or upset about it but the crying was unprofessional. But then again I guess she felt like she had just been humiliated in front of the whole crew. Eddie was definitely a better bosun than Kelley is. 

Ben was right, Ro looked redic with that black hair, black hat, black shirt, black shorts, black shoes/boots... come on' girl, your in the islands! Get with the fashion program!  She does have nice white teeth. That's about all I got for her.

There was something odd about Ro to me - was she dressed like that as a costume or a way to hide?  The hat, the sunglasses, etc, was that hair real or was that a wig?  I am serious, it seemed not real.  I wonder if it was an attempt to disguise herself so that after the show airs people do not recognize her. 

• Love 5