Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

@marceline I don't think it's as bad as all that but yes, at some point people got the idea that they would find a "soulmate" candidate. Yes, being president for four years is important. But when you look for a SO, that's your person. A president couldn't possibly be everyone's perfect match, or even the perfect match of everyone in their party because a political party is not a monolith that shares all the same values as much as the people at the top like to claim so. There will always be compromises. I've said this elsewhere, but what really worries me is that it seems most of the sensible, qualified people, if they even bother to be involved in politics, don't seem as inclined to hold public office and even more rarely seem to want to go through the garbage process and then difficulty of being president. And so we've got people with batshit crazy beliefs to sort through. 

As dusang noted, the panel isn't always made to look bad. 

• Love 4

It's ironic that the disaffected black millennials say they can't get behind Hillary's platform, but are still gung ho for Obama, when the most frequent criticism by supporters is that he's let them down by not fulfilling his promises/being ineffectual.

(Of course, the real reason the they don't support Hillary is that she doesn't reflect themselves back at them.)

• Love 1

It's an extension of the idea that's been around forever but really took off with the election of George W. of who would you rather have a beer with?   The basic implication of course was that it didn't matter if what the candidate was saying didn't make any sense or even was a blithering idiot, but is he someone you'd want to hang out with.  Michelle Wolf touched on this a couple of months ago in a segment talking about Clinton.  A lot of people find her unlikable probably at least in part because she's not naturally charismatic and probably wouldn't want to have a drink with you.  But we're electing someone we want to lead the country, not soulmates or best friends or drinking buddies.  Or in the case of lot of the rhetoric I've heard from my friends who were hardcore Bernie Sanders supporters, a loving daddy or grandpa paternal figure.

I can't anymore with segments of people whining that they don't like electoral choices given either.  Welcome to the vast majority of elections in my lifetime, kids.  You're hardly unique or special.  Bitching about the candidates is an election year tradition in this country.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

A lot of people find her unlikable probably at least in part because she's not naturally charismatic and probably wouldn't want to have a drink with you.  But we're electing someone we want to lead the country, not soulmates or best friends or drinking buddies.

Exactly.  I never understood the whole bit of sharing a beer or whatever.  I want someone who's busy running the country and qualified to do so.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, marceline said:

I thought about that after I posted and was reminded of my favorite one.

Samantha Bee talks with kids about Obama's decoupage Christmas decorations.

When the kid at the end looks at Sam and says, "Woman, go take your pills..." I wanted to hug her.

I stand by my statement that if I were ever invited on one of those panels I would truly question what side of the issue I was on, though.

Great segment. Was the FOX News anchor "playing along" with Samantha? She didn't seem as outraged as FOX News people usually are. 

I remember Jon doing a Q&A back in 2004 with members of the press and he was asked about Dubya, specifically the beer question. His response was amazing: I don't like to drink with alcoholics. It's a dumb question on a good day and I'm glad it's getting mocked more and more. 

I enjoyed Trevor's handsome half brother and I loved Roy's piece. I was that voter back in 2004, where I wanted the dream candidate but had to settle and I know I drove my more politically enthused friends crazy with my complaining.  

• Love 1

I forgot to add... Roy doing his version of what trap rap sounds like to him cracked me up. I feel the same way. I hear this rapid fire noise and it really doesn't sound like English. I don't mean that in an "I'm an old person" way but I genuinely assume that the performers are from other countries and doing something like Spanglish or reggae where changing the language is part of the art.

• Love 1

Exactly.  I never understood the whole bit of sharing a beer or whatever.  I want someone who's busy running the country and qualified to do so.

I don't want to place all the blame on a modern shift in the culture. There's enough of that happening in think pieces. And I'm sure in the past, people also voted for candidates who were likable or charismatic or who advanced a certain narrative. But I do think there have been some modern developments that have played a factor. We've seen behind the curtain and with all the reality singing competitions we feel qualified to vet people on their personalities... but again, those are pop stars, not politicians. I think the new culture of celebrity when there's less privacy and more ownership of famous people, from being able to follow so many aspects of celebrity lives to being able to quantify and commodify people into memes and such also furthers how much the public feels they get to judge and influence celebrities and culture. The internet is aware it has the power to raise people up and tear them down. Every aspect of celebrities and media gets analyzed and critiqued. It's not surprising that someone like Trump who came out of reality TV, loves twitter, and embraces a cult of personality would find success in this environment.

OK, back to our regular TDS talk now. I don't mean to derail. :)

• Love 1

Aw man! Just saw on Twitter that Trevor is out sick tonight, and Jordan will be filling in.

I hope Trevor feels better soon. If I traveled as much as he did, I would probably be sick all the time. (I'm still haunted by his mentioning on "Late Show with Stephen Colbert" a few weeks ago that he frequently flies home to South Africa FOR THE WEEKEND. Like Trevor, I also have family overseas; unlike Trevor, I visit them once a year and stay a minimum of 2 weeks.)

• Love 5
3 hours ago, trow125 said:

Aw man! Just saw on Twitter that Trevor is out sick tonight, and Jordan will be filling in.

I hope Trevor feels better soon. If I traveled as much as he did, I would probably be sick all the time. (I'm still haunted by his mentioning on "Late Show with Stephen Colbert" a few weeks ago that he frequently flies home to South Africa FOR THE WEEKEND. Like Trevor, I also have family overseas; unlike Trevor, I visit them once a year and stay a minimum of 2 weeks.)

I'm busy tonight to watch TDS due to classes, but I'm making an early call that forum will rate Jordan's hosting skills as "passable". Also, judging after browsing through archival clips from the past year since Trevor became host that it was no surprise that Jordan would be the favorable sub. I've made myself accept that Jordan and Trevor are TDS' "Fake News Power Couple", not as strong as Stewart or Colbert, but their dynamics are slowly blossoming. <3

Jordon did fine. I thought he looked a little nervous at first but he settled in: "The jokes are sometimes written in advance."

Have any news channels picked up on Trevor's African dictators/Trump comparisons? Because it's starting to weird me out how accurate they are.

• Love 4

What a bummer that Trevor missed Mike Colter!  Hope he feels better soon.

My favorite bit was the "peaceful transition of power" with Jordan taking out all the correspondents, especially Ronny's relief that it wasn't a hate crime.  Overall, I I feel like they did a reasonably good job writing for Jordan rather than feeling like Jordan saying Trevor's lines, with the exception of the obviously-intentional Africa jokes.  (While I think most of the correspondents could have handled it, I'd have been most interested in seeing either Hasan or Ronny behind the desk.)

Those Black journalists - yikes.  I was reeling at the racist bullshit they had to put up with on camera.  What's the matter with people?

• Love 3

All the jokes about Klepper filling in, which came after the "Africa jokes written in advance and it's too late to change" sort of...undermined that joke. Which basically means they liked the Africa jokes enough to leave them in, since the tied-up-in-the-boiler-room and sucker-punched bits didn't manifest from nowhere.

I used to think Trevor was not a great interviewer, but man, that was bad. Klepper was uncomfortable interviewing and Colter was uncomfortable being interviewed. He was talking so fast.

I'm not a huge Jordan fan, but he did ok. I still wonder what Jessica Williams would have done with that kind of opportunity.

Tangerine Snatchgrabber is my new favorite term for the Dahnuld, though!

• Love 2

I can never warm to Jordan. Sometimes his field reports are good, but I think that's dependent on the people he interviews and what they give him to react to.

I watch Nick Cage some day. I watched Jessica Jones and enjoyed it, and I want to get into Nick Cage, but I have so many things in my mental queue. 

I rarely watch CNN so I don't know that black female reporter, but it was awesome seeing all the faces she makes as she listens to the BS.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It's Luke Cage.

Ha, now I'm imagining a Netflix superhero show starring Nicolas Cage as... Nicolas Cage. I'll bet a lot of people would watch that!

So apparently the reason the show is dark on Monday is because Trevor was supposed to be hosting the MTV Africa Music Awards on Saturday night and would presumably be traveling back to the U.S. on Monday. Trevor had to pull out due to his illness and his South African fans are not happy.

• Love 4

Millennials. GAAAAAAAH!!!

I thought Jordan did a very good job pinch hitting for Trevor. A little more refining and he could host a show all on his own. I guess ripping at the substitute host has become a time honored tradition at TDS. Roy made me laugh at his bandaged self. Ronny was pretty good too. Desi however left me cold.

Fun fact about Luke Cage: He was originally called Power Man.

• Love 1
On 10/20/2016 at 0:40 PM, marceline said:

I forgot to add... Roy doing his version of what trap rap sounds like to him cracked me up. I feel the same way. I hear this rapid fire noise and it really doesn't sound like English. I don't mean that in an "I'm an old person" way but I genuinely assume that the performers are from other countries and doing something like Spanglish or reggae where changing the language is part of the art.

Well, when the artist has to come out with a separate video just to read what he was saying (not the meaning of the lyrics, just simply speaking slower), it's a common issue.

• Love 1

Jordan Klepper did okay considering the last minute prep and I liked how they used Trevor Noah's absence to use it as a plot mirroring what's happening with Trump's "won't respect the results unless I win" and the "transition of power." Ronny Chieng killed me when he thought at first it was a hate crime.

Even though Roy Wood Jr's piece wasn't LOL I thought it was still illuminating and depressing with the state of race and media.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, angora said:

While I think most of the correspondents could have handled it, I'd have been most interested in seeing either Hasan or Ronny behind the desk.

I'm not a Jordan fan at all. I felt like I was watching a SNL weekend update.  I think  Hasan would have done a much better job filling in for Trevor.  Hopefully, next time... 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I can never warm to Jordan. Sometimes his field reports are good, but I think that's dependent on the people he interviews and what they give him to react to.

I watch Nick Cage some day. I watched Jessica Jones and enjoyed it, and I want to get into Nick Cage, but I have so many things in my mental queue. 

I rarely watch CNN so I don't know that black female reporter, but it was awesome seeing all the faces she makes as she listens to the BS.

10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It's Luke Cage.

9 hours ago, trow125 said:

Ha, now I'm imagining a Netflix superhero show starring Nicolas Cage as... Nicolas Cage. I'll bet a lot of people would watch that!

Well, since he "Nick Cage" instead of "Nick Coppola" because of his love of Luke Cage, I could see it happening. And I would hate-watch the heck out of it.

I was kind of nervous that Jordan would be fantastic, but my dislike for him remains. I would have liked to see anyone but Jordan or Michelle fill in, but considering Jordan's character, this makes sense. He's like a cross between real life Kilborn and Colbert Report Stephen.

9 hours ago, LJonEarth said:

Well, since he "Nick Cage" instead of "Nick Coppola" because of his love of Luke Cage, I could see it happening.

Ahhh. I recently read that that's where Cage got his name, so maybe that's how I mixed things up.

• Love 1
On 10/21/2016 at 9:45 AM, angora said:

My favorite bit was the "peaceful transition of power" with Jordan taking out all the correspondents, especially Ronny's relief that it wasn't a hate crime.  Overall, I I feel like they did a reasonably good job writing for Jordan rather than feeling like Jordan saying Trevor's lines, with the exception of the obviously-intentional Africa jokes.  (While I think most of the correspondents could have handled it, I'd have been most interested in seeing either Hasan or Ronny behind the desk.)

Those Black journalists - yikes.  I was reeling at the racist bullshit they had to put up with on camera.  What's the matter with people?

I wonder who chose Jordan. Is he the "most popular" correspondent? I personally like Hasan the best--his voice and personality would have made him a great fill-in. I wonder if he's always available? He certainly isn't on as much as Jordan and Roy. 

Yes, black journalists have to put up with a lot--without reacting. "You look like a criminal." I don't know if I would have been able to stay calm. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, topanga said:

I wonder who chose Jordan. Is he the "most popular" correspondent? I personally like Hasan the best--his voice and personality would have made him a great fill-in. I wonder if he's always available? He certainly isn't on as much as Jordan and Roy. 

I wonder if it was just the fact that Jordan is the most senior of the current full-time correspondents.  Hasan is currently in the middle of his Homecoming King tour, which I think limits his involvement with things recently - he only has performances on days when the show isn't filming, but I'm assuming he has less of a chance to film remote pieces at the moment.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, topanga said:

Yes, black journalists have to put up with a lot--without reacting. "You look like a criminal." I don't know if I would have been able to stay calm. 

At least the journalist got back at O'Reilly saying he looks like a cocaine user. 

• Love 5
On 10/24/2016 at 0:04 PM, topanga said:

On 10/24/2016 at 0:13 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

I wonder if it was just the fact that Jordan is the most senior of the current full-time correspondents.  Hasan is currently in the middle of his Homecoming King tour, which I think limits his involvement with things recently - he only has performances on days when the show isn't filming, but I'm assuming he has less of a chance to film remote pieces at the moment.

Jordan has seniority and the development deal for his own series. He really does seem to be the natural choice as long as he was available.

8 hours ago, lordonia said:

Welcome back, Trevor!

"As a person from an actual jungle... Which has a king, by the way, which is a tiger."

I went to Africa a few years ago and, long story short, prior to going my ignorance about Africa was revealed by an 8-year-old who knew that there are no tigers in Africa, which I did not previously know.

• Love 2

Yeah, the Donald threatens to sue a lot, but how many times has he actually sued, and of those, how many ever resolved in his favor?  Of course, the sad part is that the defendants may have had to incure a large sum of attorneys fees defending bogus lawsuits filed by Trump, ultimately getting them dismissed.  He's a poster boy for why complaints that get dismissed on motion should come with sanctions against the plaintiff.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, possibilities said:

I agreed with the network's idea that a clip show was better than a second show with Jordan at the desk.

The clip show was not a last-minute thing -- that had been a previously-scheduled dark night, due to Trevor's (sadly canceled for health reasons) trip to South Africa to host the MTV Awards there.

• Love 3

I continue to love Trevor's foreign accents!

But I was seriously rolling my eyes at Dana's answer regarding covering giving Drumpf free air time. ? ????

That ratings are all the networks care about since corporations own them.  But I suspect if she said that, she'd be out of a job.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
On 10/21/2016 at 9:38 PM, wales260 said:

Well, when the artist has to come out with a separate video just to read what he was saying (not the meaning of the lyrics, just simply speaking slower), it's a common issue.

Thanks for the link. But even with the lyrics printed on screen, in English, I felt like I was translating a foreign language. 

My other favorite line from Roy's segment: when he said Mary J. Blige looked like Edna from The Incredibles. And she did!

• Love 1

I watched part of last night's episode.  Trevor did a funny bit on what it would be like if Biden and Trump got into a fist fight.  I appreciated Trevor making fun of Trump changing "behind the gym" to "in the back of the barn" however, I was surprised that after showing the clip of Trump talking about Biden being Mr. Tough Guy when he is standing behind a podium by himself, while Trump was standing behind a podium by himself.  As usual, things that Trump makes fun of in others, things that he holds against others, things that he says make others awful people, apply to him just as much, if not more, but somehow, it doesn't matter when it applies to him.

• Love 5

I finally got around to the episode where Jordan hosted. It wasn't awful. The jokes were OK but he doesn't have that charm of the person who sits in the host chair and I don't think the jokes felt as natural from him. He didn't come across like a stand up though I know he has experience doing it. But those jokes were written for a stand up. It's the same way I skip a lot of late night monologues because those guys don't know how to deliver jokes.

• Love 1

Yeah, I didn't care for Desi's segment. One joke dragged way out.

I really like Twitter. I rarely go to Facebook. I know I'm in the ever shrinking minority. I've heard that most people, at least on the internet, get their news from Facebook. Ugh. Anyway, I hope Twitter doesn't change too much. I like it as it is.

Which polls say Trump is leading?

I hardly listened to Jeezy, and I ended up FFing thru it.