Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Orange is the New Yuck!

roeflem
  • Start Topic

31 minutes ago, Mrsjumbo said:

I’m trying to imagine any other job where you can take 5 mos off for maternity leave & your employer is ok with it.

It’s not just her employer, it’s also her coworkers that have to cover for her in her absence.  Now that Jenna’s out too, they have to come up with twice the coverage.  If Hoda can make all the cameo appearances she’s been making, she can get her butt back to work.  She’s not recovering from childbirth.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

It’s not just her employer, it’s also her coworkers that have to cover for her in her absence.  Now that Jenna’s out too, they have to come up with twice the coverage.  If Hoda can make all the cameo appearances she’s been making, she can get her butt back to work.  She’s not recovering from childbirth.

And, even if it isn’t a paid leave her normal salary more then covers it. I just don’t get how she doesn’t feel guilty that everyone is bending over backwards for her leave when it’s not even her first kid. If she isn’t back the day after Labor Day I don’t think she’s ever coming back. The day after Labor Day is when all the anchors are back from the Hamptons and starting the fall season. 

• Love 6

I think Hoda is way too self absorbed to even think about her coworkers. I wonder if she is in over her head with the second baby? I honestly have no idea. It just makes no sense that the show has given zero time frame for her return. To me, that means it hasn't been decided yet. But, why not?? It is so odd. A total mystery. Was she getting extra time off to "write" her book? 

• Love 4

Some women wait to have a child, and then in Hoda's case she had breast cancer and couldn't carry a child.  She was fortunate enough to be able to adopt twice and now wants to cherish her time with them.  

I can't blame her for wanting to spend time with them.  Maybe I just think it should have been handled differently.  And then you have Jenna, who kept her pregnancy a secret.  That caused a bit of a problem, and then there's the fact that she isn't a very good host.  I don't think Hoda being there would have helped.  KLG kept Hoda in line and Jenna just goes along with it.

I don't care about the different hosts.  But some stuff I don't understand - why start a segment called Daly Download when Carson is never there?  Why get rid of Guys Tell All?  They shouldn't have gone for a "fresh start" right away.  Slowly add, slowly get rid of - however, I would have kept the Guys Tell All segment.  Now it's all parents say, mom says, mom buys, mom reads, etc.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Mrsjumbo said:

I’m trying to imagine any other job where you can take 5 mos off for maternity leave & your employer is ok with it.

Clearly she negotiated the time off.  It may be a combination of countless things:  FMLA, short-term disability, vacation, unpaid time-off.  I work for a Fortune 500 company.  One can take as much time as one wants for the birth/adoption of a child - mother or father.  You get fully paid for part of the time off and can add in whatever banked vacation time, then add in additional weeks at reduced pay. At some point, you don't receive pay and have to cover your own health insurance.  But you can remain an employee in good standing. The only time limitation is 364 days.  And likely that's even negotiable with your immediate manager.

Hoda isn't working behind the 7-11 counter or sitting behind a desk staring at spreadsheets.  She is a 20-year employee of one of the world's largest media companies. And she likely negotiated a real sweetheart deal when NBC was in Panic Mode post-Lauer.  

At our company, employees get 18 days of annual vacation from Day 1 (plus 8 paid company holidays).  After 10 years, it goes to 28 days.  At 20 years, it maxes at 35 days/year.  I imagine that Comcast/NBC/Universal has similar guidelines for its staff.  On-air talent could even have more negotiated into their personal contract. Hoda may have had weeks and weeks of time off due to her.

Maybe someday we will hear the full story of her time off.  Hoda has always milked her personal life for story ideas.  When JBH announced her pregnancy, NBC pretty much threw in the towel for a Fourth Hour Re-Launch.  NBC may have circled November Sweeps or even January 2020 as the launch date for the New Fourth Hour and told both mommies to be back on their stools for that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

... it’s also her coworkers that have to cover for her in her absence. .....

Yes, we all know that TV personalities just hate hate hate to be on-screen.

There isn't a single employee at 30Rock who wouldn't kill for more time on-screen.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I had/have no problems with any host keeping their pregnancies “secret”. As far as I’m concerned, it just means we get to hear less about it, which is great! 

I also don’t care about Hoda not being there. KLG was often gone for long periods of time for personal side projects. Their jobs aren’t like everyone else’s. Their hours, salaries, responsibilities (and lack thereof) and perks are not that of us regular folk. They are tv personalities who can not be replaced as easily as us because people tune in to see THAT person (and some who tune out because of certain personalities). I’m not a fan of Hoda at all. She can retire and I’ll be happy. I just don’t think their current situation with her absence is that scandalous. Yes they need to find a long term sub for both her and Jenna for continuity sake, but Hoda, I’m sure, has major pull at the show and prob has it in her contract that she has leeway with her time off. And yes it has been a long break, but again, not a Hoda fan so I’m enjoying it.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

Clearly she negotiated the time off.  It may be a combination of countless things:  FMLA, short-term disability, vacation, unpaid time-off.  I work for a Fortune 500 company.  One can take as much time as one wants for the birth/adoption of a child - mother or father.  You get fully paid for part of the time off and can add in whatever banked vacation time, then add in additional weeks at reduced pay. At some point, you don't receive pay and have to cover your own health insurance.  But you can remain an employee in good standing. The only time limitation is 364 days.  And likely that's even negotiable with your immediate manager.

Hoda isn't working behind the 7-11 counter or sitting behind a desk staring at spreadsheets.  She is a 20-year employee of one of the world's largest media companies. And she likely negotiated a real sweetheart deal when NBC was in Panic Mode post-Lauer.  

At our company, employees get 18 days of annual vacation from Day 1 (plus 8 paid company holidays).  After 10 years, it goes to 28 days.  At 20 years, it maxes at 35 days/year.  I imagine that Comcast/NBC/Universal has similar guidelines for its staff.  On-air talent could even have more negotiated into their personal contract. Hoda may have had weeks and weeks of time off due to her.

Maybe someday we will hear the full story of her time off.  Hoda has always milked her personal life for story ideas.  When JBH announced her pregnancy, NBC pretty much threw in the towel for a Fourth Hour Re-Launch.  NBC may have circled November Sweeps or even January 2020 as the launch date for the New Fourth Hour and told both mommies to be back on their stools for that.

Why would disability time be factored into Hoda’s time off?  Unless she hurt herself taking selfies or going to the beach.

I’m sure she has a good contract , but the secrecy is obnoxious. And  even when KL Took off a lot of time we always had updates as to when she was coming back .

Edited by orangekit
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Pickles said:

I think Hoda is way too self absorbed to even think about her coworkers. I wonder if she is in over her head with the second baby? I honestly have no idea. It just makes no sense that the show has given zero time frame for her return. To me, that means it hasn't been decided yet. But, why not?? It is so odd. A total mystery. Was she getting extra time off to "write" her book? 

She is extremely self absorbed!  Only a rude , self-absorbed person would leave friends at a party and not tell them, and then expect them to pick up girls they left in the car !

And walking out of a room without saying anything when someone makes an effort to visit you and your new baby?

She’s  so self absorbed that she couldn’t be bothered to attend training with her dog that she named after a singer like an adolescent girl !  I am sure Blake is in dog heaven, Hoda probably let Haley Joy do whatever she wants to the dog and the dog probably got angry !

Hoda is her own biggest cheerleader. She wants to be seen as this wonderful , charitable person, and amazing mom, when in fact she makes everything about her , and has a staff to watch the babies she pays for in adoption !

• Love 6
7 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

Ongoing chemo/treatments for a cancer recurrence.

She never had chemo the first time. And  she seems to have all of her hair and be out and about.   I really don’t know any woman who has had chemo for breast  cancer that kept w full head of hair.  And most who have had radiation are not usually in the run while going through treatment . But if she isn’t getting those side effects, that’s great .

I thought it was more likely that the baby had a problem , but who knows .

Edited by orangekit
19 hours ago, orangekit said:

Why would disability time be factored into Hoda’s time off?  Unless she hurt herself taking selfies or going to the beach.

I’m sure she has a good contract , but the secrecy is obnoxious. And  even when KL Took off a lot of time we always had updates as to when she was coming back .

I used disability time to extend my Maternity leave past FMLA of 12 weeks. I assumed most people do that extend theirs too. 

If she wants extra time off and can afford it or has saved vacation time, good for her. I don’t miss her...

Whatever reason Hoda is taking off such a long time, she will definitely be talking about it for months and wiring a book about it if she ever returns ! 

Edited by Popcorn22

I wonder if the powers that he knew what was lying ahead, if they would have offered Hoda the job replacing Matt. 

She may have vacation time but don’t forget the 4th hour segments were often prerecorded on Fridays during the summer so KLG & Hoda could take off early on their weekends.

• Love 1
On 8/9/2019 at 7:12 AM, Farmfam said:

I used disability time to extend my Maternity leave past FMLA of 12 weeks. I assumed most people do that extend theirs too. 

If she wants extra time off and can afford it or has saved vacation time, good for her. I don’t miss her...

But what disability time do you get for adoption ? Did she sprain her hand when her nanny gave her the baby to hold after she got home from the beach with Haley Joy?

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Hoda's instagram--Haley Joy's birthday today, so the world must stop turning. That explains why Hoda is still off on leave. Lol. It is kind of odd how there are no pictures of the baby. Just one or two from June.

Okay wait, I think it is Hoda's birthday. 

Edited by Pickles
confused
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Hoda's instagram

And Todayshow, hodaandjenna - don't forget Yahoo and People.com.  And of course, don't forget all the pictures of everyone hugging Jenna's baby, and then those are posted on all the appropriate IG accounts, Yahoo and People.com.  Today.com will also have everything.

I really don't remember so much fuss over Savannah's kids.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Hoda's instagram--Haley Joy's birthday today, so the world must stop turning. That explains why Hoda is still off on leave. Lol. It is kind of odd how there are no pictures of the baby. Just one or two from June.

Okay wait, I think it is Hoda's birthday. 

Hoda won’t cash in as much if she shows  the baby a lot before her most likely planned People Mag spread with a cover story , timed right for whenever she decides to grace the tv world with her presence again!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/10/2019 at 5:23 PM, Popcorn22 said:

But what disability time do you get for adoption ? Did she sprain her hand when her nanny gave her the baby to hold after she got home from the beach with Haley Joy

Obviously I don't know what kind of coverage Hoda has but my coverage at work was shit. We didn't have "maternity leave" per se, it was all just lumped under disability.  So it didn't matter whether you sprained your wrist, broke your leg, or pushed a baby out of your whatever (or adopted), it was all considered "disability".  We only had 6-8 weeks paid disability coverage, but could take up to a year at varying levels of pay and/or no pay at all depending on how much time was taken.

I really loved my coworkers and got along with all of them. I liked my job.  That being said, honestly I didn't worry about them getting on without me.  It's a business, and it was other people's jobs to worry about coverage for my work, etc, plus those people made a lot more $$ than me.  I ended up having to leave work early unexpectedly since my baby was two months premature.  Last thing I worried about was my coworker and my company, and they all completely understood.  Everyone is replaceable.

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, lucylou said:

Haley"s birthday is February 14th why is she celebrating it again? 

I thought it was for Hoda since it's was her birthday on Aug 9th. She turned 55.

Edited by ByaNose
2 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

Doesn’t Pricilla Presley have enough money to afford a top notch plastic surgeon? Yikes she’s uncomfortable to look at and her face doesn’t move. I bet she would’ve aged gracefully if she had allowed herself. 

Her last good years pre surgery was during her Dallas run as Jenna Wade. She was so pretty & was a good actress, too. 

• Love 2
On 8/8/2019 at 4:46 AM, OpalNightstream said:

I had/have no problems with any host keeping their pregnancies “secret”. As far as I’m concerned, it just means we get to hear less about it, which is great! 

True:)  However, Jenna supposedly kept it a secret from her bosses cause she didn't want to disrupt the new show, and she knew Hoda wanted a baby.  Well, the show has been disrupted and Hoda has her baby.  To me it was just kind of dumb - you don't hide a pregnancy for those reasons.  But yeah, keeping it a secret from the rest of us is just fine.  Of course, now that she has had it, there are pictures all over.  Same with Hoda.

So, I liked the 4th hour with Dylan, but I want her to host with Carson or Willie.  That would be a fun show.  As long as they give her time to eat/rest during her long morning:)

35 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

True:)  However, Jenna supposedly kept it a secret from her bosses cause she didn't want to disrupt the new show, and she knew Hoda wanted a baby.  Well, the show has been disrupted and Hoda has her baby.  To me it was just kind of dumb - you don't hide a pregnancy for those reasons.  But yeah, keeping it a secret from the rest of us is just fine.  Of course, now that she has had it, there are pictures all over.  Same with Hoda.

So, I liked the 4th hour with Dylan, but I want her to host with Carson or Willie.  That would be a fun show.  As long as they give her time to eat/rest during her long morning:)

Yeah, but, now Dylan is pregnant, too.  She'll probably have her baby before Hoda returns.  But, Hoda will have time to do a daily cameo.

• LOL 2
1 minute ago, Bronzedog said:

Yeah, but, now Dylan is pregnant, too.  She'll probably have her baby before Hoda returns.  But, Hoda will have time to do a daily cameo.

Hoda's book comes out in October, right?  So she will be making the talk show rounds during that time.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:32 AM, OpalNightstream said:

“I can’t believe I have a 5-yr-old” says savannah.  Why? You’re in your mid 40s.  Grow up!

The TODAY woman love to be amazed that they are mothers. It's like it was some new invention.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Leah Remini is very funny and Dylan did very well again this morning. Hoda and Jenna can stay home with their kids and Dylan can be permanent after her own maternity leave. No Sheinelle either. Dylan and Natalie maybe would be a good team.

• Love 3

I assume Hoda will be back in September when the new tv season starts.  These people have some of the easiest jobs in the business, I'm not going to clutch my pearls over them filling in on the fourth hour. 

I blame the show more than Hoda (everyone should get at least six months of maternity leave imo).  They knew Jenna was pregnant and probably had a clue Hoda was in the process of adopting another baby.  Why couldn't they have postponed the roll out of Hoda and Jenna until the baby stuff was sorted out.

I think Dylan hits the sweet spot between relatability and adulthood, as does Natalie.

I always thought Natalie came across as icy and overly serious.  Her time on that awful Access show must have lightened her up.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 1

Puppies!!!!

OMG, that sweet puppy with Leah this morning.

I cracked up when Dylan invited Leah back for tomorrow (taped, I assume), then said she wouldn't be there. I really like Dylan.

• Love 2

Isn't it funny how two of the best interviewers on the Today show are the meteorologists?  But I think it's because Al and Dylan are naturally outgoing and real.  They want to know your story.  Same with Craig.  Some of the others are like "Tell me about yourself.  I'll start!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Leah Remini's face looks kind of strange, like she's had work done.

I honestly wouldn't know that's her if I didn't see her name on the screen.

I was thinking the same thing.

• Love 2

Jill did a nice job this morning.  I forget that she has hosted various talk shows.  Things went very well this week, although I know there are still lots of people out there asking "where's Hoda."  If you don't know where she is by now...…..

5 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

Jill did a nice job this morning.  I forget that she has hosted various talk shows.  Things went very well this week, although I know there are still lots of people out there asking "where's Hoda."  If you don't know where she is by now...…..

Who this Hoda that you speak of?

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Leah Remini's face looks kind of strange, like she's had work done.

I honestly wouldn't know that's her if I didn't see her name on the screen.

I am a huge fan of Leah's going way back and used to be really, really into her Scientology show on A&E.  Reason I had to stop watching it?  Her face.  I am beyond distracted by it.  It completely takes me out of the show to the point that I can't even concentrate on the subject matter.  She now speaks with a lisp from whatever the hell she is doing to her mouth.  Botox and fillers, I imagine. 

The amount of female celebs who are destroying their faces just leaves me feeling both sad and mad anymore.  And the list just keeps growing and growing. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 7
48 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I am a huge fan of Leah's going way back and used to be really, really into her Scientology show on A&E.  Reason I had to stop watching it?  Her face.  I am beyond distracted by it.  It completely takes me out of the show to the point that I can't even concentrate on the subject matter.  She now speaks with a lisp from whatever the hell she is doing to her mouth.  Botox and fillers, I imagine. 

The amount of female celebs who are destroying their faces just leaves me feeling both sad and mad anymore.  And the list just keeps growing and growing. 

I find it interesting that the celebs who get work done to look younger actually make themselves look older instead. They all have that same real housewives look of fillers with giant lips and hair extensions gone amok. I’m always shocked to find out they are all much younger than they appear.  I know looking younger was always a thing in Hollywood but I blame the current atrocities on the kardashians where over the top fake is sold as just being “glamorous”. Can someone tell them they are crossing the line into grotesque?

• Love 7
On 8/17/2019 at 8:46 AM, Cementhead said:

They never learn!!!

• Love 1