Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Orange is the New Yuck!

roeflem
  • Start Topic

From Page Six:  The Today Show is making GMA nervous

It's from Page Six, so grain of salt and all that, but I do have to give Today some credit, the show is getting marginally better imo.  The show is way less frantic than it used to be, even with Tamron's presence, I think they've finally figured out how to find the right balance.  Between the two morning infotainment shows, Today is the one that's slightly better in my view, at least they don't have Lara Spencer screaming for two hours.

• Love 4

I only watched bits and pieces of the Today Show this morning.  Was there a reason why Savannah, Natalie, Tameron and Erica were all wearing white or was it random?

Probably trying to get in one last time before Labor Day!

• Love 1

We've watched Justin Beiber grow up?  I was not actually under the impression that he was a grown up.   

And I was making a point of not watching him grow up or do anything else.

Edited by harrie
  • Love 3

I didn't get why Beiber was whining about the camera being too close to him to catch his dancing.  Isn't he also performing for the dozens of people that came to see him live?  He's not only a brat, but an idiot with no apprciation for his fans and only concern for his image.

Never thought I would find myself defending Justin but I am; I understood his point.  He is not a singer who needs a close up like so many require.  He dances and wanted a longer shot.  I think that is reasonable.  Did you see how close those cameras were?  I didn't watch long enough to see his attitude.  There are ways to respectfully request what is needed.  Maybe he didn't do that.  Just saying, the cameras were too close.  

I'm not a Bieber fan but I see his point. Although I FF through his performances, there were some wide shots of everyone dancing, but most of the time the Today show banners were across the screen & you could only see from the waist up.

You know what really irritates me, Today Show? When you run those "highlight reels" of the week's stories (or anything in the "past") and add back onto perfectly good HD videos those little squiggly lines and dots to make them look like a worn out old movie reel. But it's not even just Today now - I saw the same thing on CNN this morning. GAAHH!

I find it astonishing that Savannah graduated Magna Cum Laude from Georgetown Law, yet sounds like a ditsy, bubble brained airhead whenever she is bantering with guests or colleagues.

Edited by Mrsjumbo
  • Love 3

I find it astonishing that Savannah graduated Magna Cum Laude from Georgetown Law, yet sounds like a ditsy, bubble brained airhead whenever she is bantering with guests or colleagues.

Savannah was a WH correspondent and legal analyst for Today before becoming co-anchor. She was always serious, articulate and knowledgeable. I think she's dumbing herself down in order to be perceived as likable. And I really hate that.

• Love 6

This may be why people like Norah O'Donnell, whom I really enjoyed on NBC, jumped ship...they worked their way up the ladder, and for what? To throw their intellect out the window to cackle and talk over co-hosts and guests? I love her on CBS, and she can be her likeable, smart self and not come across as a 13 year old.

While I'm at it, I don't expect these folks to know everything about everything, but they are the least well-read group to be in NEWS (or at least infotainment). Tamryn is the one who usually scrunches up her face when she doesn't know of someone or something. Aren't they spoon-fed stuff in the makeup chair before they go live? Anyway, I've stopped watching after 8:30 at the latest, because it's more annoying than interesting.

Edited by Liz Tudor
  • Love 1

Savannah was a WH correspondent and legal analyst for Today before becoming co-anchor. She was always serious, articulate and knowledgeable. I think she's dumbing herself down in order to be perceived as likable. And I really hate that.

I think the chit chat and banter is not in her skill set and that is what we are seeing.   I have no doubt she is brilliant, she just has a hard time letting her light shine with this format. 

• Love 3

I think the chit chat and banter is not in her skill set and that is what we are seeing.   I have no doubt she is brilliant, she just has a hard time letting her light shine with this format.

True, host chat is really not Savannah's thing. But she also does that thing a lot of women do to make themselves less threatening. She's all, "I'm so fat. I eat nothing, but junk food, I can't cook, I'm so lame!". Making herself small because being ambitious and smarter than Matt Lauer is somehow unattractive.

• Love 6

I am back watching Today after a break switching to CBS.   Carson Daily is the one bright spot on this show for me.  I still like it better than the other networks and a lot has to do with familiarity.   My parents watched back when Dave Garroway hosted.  I was too young to care but remember it being a staple in the background.  

Jeff Ross and exploding man hole covers.  Oy  Enough with trying to scare the public.  I see Tamron is still the same in her effort to draw attention to herself in the most obvious and annoying way possible.  

Good to be back!  LOL! 

• Love 3

Seriously--exploding manhole covers?  I didn't see the story so I thought that was a joke.  But then, Jeff Rossen.

Or spinal compression from sitting playing video games for long periods of time.  

• Love 1

We used to watch weekend Today on a regular basis. It's not as entertaining now without  Lester Holt & Jenna Wolfe. Jenna could be annoying when she tried to be an anchor but I liked her workouts.

The weekday version is almost unwatchable. I thought Savannah Guthrie would do more serious news when she joined the show from MSNBC. It's sad watching her act interview celebrities. etc. She is smarter than that.

Why can't they let Matt Lauer do the fluff pieces & let Savannah do more serious topics.?

There's something about Erica Hill's voice that just drives me up a wall.  I think it's too sharp sounding.

Erica Hill reminds me so much of Campbell Brown, especially their voices. They've both got a 'mean mommy' vibe or something.

• Love 1

Harry makes it look easy, which is half the job of being a morning host.  On top of that he's intelligent but not an asshat about it.  I love him.  Does he do the weekend show now?  I thought he only did the "Sundays with Harry" bit at the end of Sunday's show, so have been flipping in around 8:45 Sunday mornings.  If he's there the whole time, I may flip in earlier. 

• Love 1

We have Tamron making lollipop eyeballs for Halloween.  She made it all about her and how horrible she was at it.  The presenter told her 10 to 20 times, "you are doing fine."  She didn't know what else to do since it was clear she was not experienced.  Jesus.

And her lollipop was identical to the replica.   It was not a tricky chore.  But ohhhhhhh no, Tamron cannot do it and allow the segment to shine.  She has to make everyone look at her as she giggles and smiles to the camera.  Why is she still there? 

I didn't mind the latest Rossen Reports on the psychics, I just thought he took the wrong angle.  You can't do too much reporting on how those people prey on the vulnerable and the desperate, but Rossen and Today report on it like "lol the mediums got it wrong because they said he was single but he's married."  You know, instead of "this psychic is charging me hundreds of dollars per reading so I can get a few nuggets of generic info about my dead child or spouse."

• Love 2

I thought the Peanut character costumes were lame.  Guess they've run out of ideas.

I think it's the start of the marketing glut for The Peanuts Movie, which opens next Friday.  

Dylan's segment with the bozos from Ghost Adventures .... why not just throw all your credibility out the window, Today, and get it over with? 

• Love 2

I think it's the start of the marketing glut for The Peanuts Movie, which opens next Friday.  

Dylan's segment with the bozos from Ghost Adventures .... why not just throw all your credibility out the window, Today, and get it over with? 

I forgot about The Peanuts Movie coming out, but they couldn't even get the dancing right.

• Love 2

I saw a clip of this on the Soup.  It certainly appeared to be very lame!  Meridith looked like a zombie.  I had to look up Peanuts characters to get it that she was Pig Pen.