Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Orange is the New Yuck!

roeflem
  • Start Topic

The Today show was so off-the-charts embarrassing today, I finally had to switch over to MSNBC. The segment about "what the cool kids are saying" was bad enough. I need not ever hear Matt Lauer use the word "fleek" ever again. But it was the Kid Rock pre-performance tongue bath that put me over the edge.

I clicked over during a commercial break from CBS This Morning and heard mention of an upcoming segment about using lipstick as a concealer under the eyes.  Am I glad I have a true alternative of "real news" with Charlie Rose.

• Love 1

Pippa will probably be called in to report on the royal Spare being born, so they don't have to send Natalie for 3 months like last time ;-)

This morning they covered a story about people vying for one-way tickets to Mars in 2025. Carson said he'd like to send the Kardashians. Then Al piped in saying that it would be a return to their homeland. Hahahaha!

Oh my god, this is hysterical!  

The segment on apps for running was very poorly done. There was music playing on the background, some guest was mumbling through the names of the apps quickly. I didn't catch the name of any of them. At the very least they should have had a banner across the bottom of the screen naming the app & price.

That was a really interesting article, junemeatcleaver. I was especially interested in the Meet the Press dirt. The entire news division of NBC is so FUBAR, I don't know how they'll recover. There's just too many holes in the boat. I would love to hear some behind-the-scenes stuff on the daytime shake-up over at MSNBC as well. They canceled a bunch of shows.

I've never really liked Savannah Guthrie or Willie Geist. And I'm put off by the palpable tension between Natalie and Tamron. Knowing that Horowitz likely instigated that feud, doesn' change that. I have no issue with Matt Lauer, and have mentioned before that I like his chemistry with Hoda Kotb. If they wanted to fire everyone else and start over, I'd be okay with that.

• Love 2

I stopped watching this show awhile back and tuned in this morning to check it out.   I see a pie in the face "joke" between Willie and Tamron on the plaza.  Within 30 mins they replay it 3 times.  And of course laughing hysterically.  Look at my hair exclaims Tamron and I had to change my clothes and now my shoes don't match.  

I agree, Lakewood.  It is time to get rid of everyone except Matt and Hoda.  Start over and stop replacing people within the same format.  Revamp the entire thing. I am sick of the last hour, too, even though I love Hoda.  Louis Licari, la la la la la la.  Enough.  

• Love 2

The Willie/Tamron pie stunt was so awkward.  He seemed like he was genuinely pissed off at her but covered it up with the fake joviality bullshit.  I mean I don't blame Tamron being worried about her hair, but maybe her hair wouldn't have gotten effed up if she refrained from smashing a pie in Willie's face.

This show is a mess and the reason I watch is for trainwreck moments like the pie stuff this morning.  The show still desperately needs new personalities and a new direction, though.

I think the pie throwing -- at least the Tamron on Wille one (though I only saw it on a repeat, not in real time) -- was producer-driven. I don't think Tamron would have done that on her own; sure, she gets giddy and stuff, but I don't see her throwing pie at a co-worker without being told to.  Because everyone loves a pie fight.......right?  Not.  GMA rules the ratings right now, but I don't know why Today thinks trying to be just like them is the way to beat them.  Just my opinion.

• Love 2

I think the pie throwing -- at least the Tamron on Wille one (though I only saw it on a repeat, not in real time) -- was producer-driven.

The producers should work on making the hosts act like they like each other before they engage in the fake playfulness.

Dr. Nancy also appeared on the Nightly News uhm-ing and slurring through a report a month ago, I'm not surprised she's gone.

• Love 2

The Dr. Nancy Nightly News segment is online and she acts really sloshed. And the pie throwing was ridiculous. I hate segments like that. Meredith Viera was also throwing pies. I just read that her show is not doing well. They are thinking of revamping it with some type of "panel" similar to The Talk.

• Love 1

I hated the pie throwing stunt too.

And I'm not joining the Hoda- love camp. She annoys me with that fake open mouth smile & that's a " I don't give a F" attitude on the 4th hour- & by that I mean caring about what the guests are saying.

• Love 1

I hated the pie throwing stunt too.

And I'm not joining the Hoda- love camp. She annoys me with that fake open mouth smile & that's a " I don't give a F" attitude on the 4th hour- & by that I mean caring about what the guests are saying.

I like Hoda but I have to agree that her over the top smiling and feigning hysteria at times is annoying.  I have not picked up on her not caring about guests.  She and Kathy Lee roll over the nutrition tests that woman gives and they speed through segments where others are presenting tips or whatever.  The speeding through stuff is due to a too small time allotment and a producer telling them to move on.  But still, if they stopped talking incessantly it could work!  That is not all Hoda.  Is that what you mean?   

• Love 1

Hoda filled in for a few weeks over the summer while Savannah was on mat leave. She is perfectly capable of being a serious, thoughtful and engaging morning anchor, without resorting to her annoying 4th hour antics. She's like a completely different person.

I'm glad Dr. Nancy is gone. She was such a smug jackass.

I also read that Pippa's Today career was over before it started. Apparently producers just realised what we've all known since 2011. Pippa is about as charismatic and interesting as buttered noodles.

• Love 4

Hoda filled in for a few weeks over the summer while Savannah was on mat leave. She is perfectly capable of being a serious, thoughtful and engaging morning anchor, without resorting to her annoying 4th hour antics. She's like a completely different person.

I also read that Pippa's Today career was over before it started. Apparently producers just realised what we've all known since 2011. Pippa is about as charismatic and interesting as buttered noodles.

Yes, I agree about Hoda.  I think they are considering moving her over.  They are probably looking for a replacement to sit with Kathy Lee.   

I didn't mind Hoda when doing the morning spot- you are right, it's like a different person.

About not caring- watch her when there is a craft or cooking segment. She really doesn't care & practically says so. Which is fine for her but rude to the guest or maybe a viewer that would actually like to see the segment.

And at other times she mispronounces names or facts & when KLG corrects her, she waves her away, saying "whatever".

But when she has filled in on the morning she's totally professional & very likable.

Edited by Mrsjumbo
  • Love 4

The Hoda split personality is strange.  She's become so lackadaisical during the 4th hour!  Very curious if she'd want to return to straight news b/c she appears to love the schedule and relish the celebrity-driven, reality television aspect of the 4th hour. 

WRT the 4th hour rudeness towards guests, especially during the cooking segments, anybody remember the guy from AZ who was so frustrated he complained on air?  They had him on 1 more time, giving him a backhanded apology but blackballed him thereafter.

Couldn't ever stand Nancy Sneiderman so happy she's gone.  Would love to see her sloshed, however, just for fun!

Besides Pippa's personality and skill level, I have a feeling tptb finally realized she's not allowed to comment on the only thing they wanted to talk to her about - that is, the British royal family!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

This morning when they talking about the Pretty Woman reunion on Monday, right before they said that people should come dress up as characters from the movie, for a second I almost thought they were going to say to bring your favorite whore. 

Oh, and Jason Alexander said on twitter this morning that he was not asked to participate in the reunion.  Which makes no sense - I'd rather see him than Julia Roberts.

• Love 1

What? That's not right. Jason Alexander's character was more integral to the story than the hotel manager! I also want to see the snooty saleswomen.

I didn't think Bridget the saleslady was snooty.  Her line -- "They never are, dear" -- is comic perfection and my favorite part of that awful movie. But I love Elinor Donahue (and apparently so does Garry Marshall), so I'm probably biased.  And while I'm glad Hector Elizondo (the hotel manager) is in, Jason Alexander should have been, too. 

Bobby Canavale was on the third hour yesterday or the day before, and the interview was really interesting.  He was talking about working with Al Pacino and stuff -- and then they started asking him to sing karaoke.  He likes karaoke and played along.  But why, Today?   Why do you always turn potentially interesting material into awkward novelty bits that suck?!?  Why?  Stop it!!

I didn't think Bridget the saleslady was snooty.  Her line -- "They never are, dear" -- is comic perfection and my favorite part of that awful movie. But I love Elinor Donahue (and apparently so does Garry Marshall), so I'm probably biased.  And while I'm glad Hector Elizondo (the hotel manager) is in, Jason Alexander should have been, too.!!

Not Bridget. She was darling. I'm talking about Marie and those heifers at 'Boulmiche' who told Vivian their stuff was "very expensive" and to "please leave!".

[Off-topic] I actually went there, hoping the sales staff would throw me out for being too poor, but they couldn't have been nicer or more professional. They even called a cab for me when I realised I couldn't just stand on the corner and hail one back to the hotel ;-)

• Love 2

This morning when they talking about the Pretty Woman reunion on Monday, right before they said that people should come dress up as characters from the movie, for a second I almost thought they were going to say to bring your favorite whore. 

Oh, and Jason Alexander said on twitter this morning that he was not asked to participate in the reunion.  Which makes no sense - I'd rather see him than Julia Roberts.

Really?  What has Julia done for you to feel this way?!  LOL!  

What? That's not right. Jason Alexander's character was more integral to the story than the hotel manager! I also want to see the snooty saleswomen.

I thought Hector's part was key and the glue that held the plot together. 

What has Julia done for you to feel this way?!  LOL!

Oh, I know.  Everyone else just loves her.  Heh, when George Clooney married someone who wasn't me, I actually thought, whew, I'll never have to ever hang out with Julia Roberts.

I thought Hector's part was key and the glue that held the plot together.

No!  It was Jason's character! :-)   Since they have a hashtag about this stupid thing on Monday, I should tweet back at them to include Jason.  It is kind of strange - considering how important Seinfeld was to NBC.  Heh, I really don't care that much but if they are having the cast, its bizarre not to have him.

• Love 2

Not Bridget. She was darling. I'm talking about Marie and those heifers at 'Boulmiche' who told Vivian their stuff was "very expensive" and to "please leave!".

[Off-topic] I actually went there, hoping the sales staff would throw me out for being too poor, but they couldn't have been nicer or more professional. They even called a cab for me when I realised I couldn't just stand on the corner and hail one back to the hotel ;-)

Oh, geez, how could I forget?!  "It's very expensive" and "You're obviously in the wrong place."  

Lakewood27, you went to the actual store?  How very cool!   The closest thing I ever did was go (with friends) to the designer or haute couture floor (or something like that) of Bonwit Teller during high school.  They were also very tolerant of us and maybe even a little amused.  

Oh, I know.  Everyone else just loves her.  Heh, when George Clooney married someone who wasn't me, I actually thought, whew, I'll never have to ever hang out with Julia Roberts.

I'm with you, M.Darcy.  No big love for Ms. Roberts. 

• Love 1

No!  It was Jason's character! :-)   Since they have a hashtag about this stupid thing on Monday, I should tweet back at them to include Jason.  It is kind of strange - considering how important Seinfeld was to NBC.  Heh, I really don't care that much but if they are having the cast, its bizarre not to have him.

You dodged a bullet on that one!  ha ha ha ha ha ha! 

I don't watch this show anymore but still check in here from time to time or do a drive by in the morning.  I will tune in on Monday to see Julia and Hector, two actors I like.  

I do agree that Jason should have been included and odd he wasn't.  

I'm not a Julia Roberts fan either. That giant mouth., that awful laugh, that giant vein that pops out in her forehead (shallow, I know).

LOVE Jason Alexander though!

I loved Laura San Giacomo in Sex Lies & Videotape.

James Spader is just gorgeous in that movie!!

• Love 1

They are airing the interview with the cast of Pretty Women tomorrow; It has already been taped.  So they are asking the crowd outside to dress up like the movie and they are not even going to be there??  I am sure, those inclined, are thinking they will meet the cast on the plaza.   Or is it the cast and crew on the Today set?   

They are airing the interview with the cast of Pretty Women tomorrow; It has already been taped.  So they are asking the crowd outside to dress up like the movie and they are not even going to be there??  I am sure, those inclined, are thinking they will meet the cast on the plaza.   Or is it the cast and crew on the Today set?   

The only iconic looks from that movie are Vivian's blue and white hooker outfit at the beginning and the red dress she wore to the opera. It is freezing cold here right now. Nobody is going to dress up for this nonsense.

The only iconic looks from that movie are Vivian's blue and white hooker outfit at the beginning and the red dress she wore to the opera. It is freezing cold here right now. Nobody is going to dress up for this nonsense.

And maybe her brown and white polka dot dress at the races if you want to stretch it.  There is NO way anyone is going to dress up, I agree.  What would be the point?   This is not the Rocky Horror Picture Show for cryin' out loud.  

• Love 1

I do not like Regis. There I said it. Everyone on shows talk about how wonderful he is, I have never seen it. He is egocentric, rude, and not funny.

Why do they keep bringing him on? I sort of get the sense if everyone does not overly praise him for just being , then there will be hell to pay, but really?

• Love 3

I do not like Regis. There I said it. Everyone on shows talk about how wonderful he is, I have never seen it. He is egocentric, rude, and not funny.

Why do they keep bringing him on? I sort of get the sense if everyone does not overly praise him for just being , then there will be hell to pay, but really?

I agree.  And I will add that I have just about had it with Hoda and her fake hysterics complete with wiping a nonexistent tear from her eye.  I really like her, I do.  But this affect has got to go!  

I don't either. There were times over the years where he was ok. But when it was just him and Gelman, he was an ass. He treated Adrian Paul from the show Highlander like crap :(. It was terrible.

Ok, they are just making shit up now.  This is not the first time the cast of Pretty Woman has been together in 25 years.  Gary Marshall, Julia Roberts, Hector Elizondo along with Kathleen Marshall and Larry Miller were in Runaway Bride which was 16 years ago.

• Love 3

Ok, they are just making shit up now.  This is not the first time the cast of Pretty Woman has been together in 25 years.  Gary Marshall, Julia Roberts, Hector Elizondo along with Kathleen Marshall and Larry Miller were in Runaway Bride which was 16 years ago.

I guess they are going on a technicality since Laura was not on Runaway Bride.  And, we are going to have to tune in all damn week if we want to see the entire interview I suppose.  I know there is a segment tomorrow.   And what was the dressing tastefully all about.  I see no one in costume.  **eye roll**

Its weird.  Not that its not an enjoyable movie but is it one of those movies that people still even talk about?  Why does NBC they care so much?  There are other movies from that year that they could be spending all this time on - Home Alone, Ghost, Goodfellas, Reversal of Fortune, Dances with Wolves, Misery.    I guess since this week is the technical 25th anniversary of the release but why an entire week.  

• Love 1

I agree. And I will add that I have just about had it with Hoda and her fake hysterics complete with wiping a nonexistent tear from her eye. I really like her, I do. But this affect has got to go!

I like Hoda, but I get too feeling she isn't too bright at times and her fake tear is annoying.

I like Regis, he was fine in the musical, but I wish Kathie Lee would stop dragging him on the show. I think on some level Regis is losing it a bit, or losing his inhibitions . The way he went in for the kiss with Hoda when she was pulling away during the licorice challenge was creepy! It was like watching your dirty old uncle who had no filter . Also, he really couldn't understand the challenge. Kathie Lee has to help him. I feel bad when someone is older and losing it, but he just is coming off strange!

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Love 3

Why do they have to waste precious TV time watching Tamron get up from the table, walk through the studio to ask the crowd outside one question? She actually tripped a little today & mark my words, someone is going to take a tumble over one of those wires one day, esp in those high heels.

Do they think it makes for exciting TV to watch Al get up from the desk & walk over to the weather map? Or watch Tamron walk over to the Orange Room? It just seems silly that they are not already standing there & ready to go.

Edited by Mrsjumbo
  • Love 3

Same, here.  Never could stand him and didn't get the obsessive fan adoration.  Not that I've ever been available in the a.m. but never watched any of his shows.

The few times I've (unfortunately) seen him around since "Live", or whatever the name of that show, cut him loose, it seems obvious that they had good reason.  He appears far past his prime or expiration date (not for life - for work in the entertainment biz, lol!) and should retire.  JMHO

P.S.  WRT retirement, don't any of these people have enough money?  They never go away!  Hey, enjoy those millions - let your kids make it on their own - that is, with their already ample trust funds!

I'm not a Julia Roberts fan either. That giant mouth., that awful laugh, that giant vein that pops out in her forehead (shallow, I know).

LOVE Jason Alexander though!

Same here on Julia.  IIRC, a few things came out about her personally last year when her half-sister committed suicide.

Didn't she just lose her mother, too?  That must be tough for her family ...

With 4 hrs to fill, you would think they would spend more time on World Autism Day than wearing blue & doing 1 quick story that was really more about support dogs than autism. I would have loved to see a panel of experts that would discuss signs of autism, current therapies, & research. It affects 1 in 68 kids.

They spent more time on April Fool's jokes on April 1st!

• Love 1

With 4 hrs to fill, you would think they would spend more time on World Autism Day than wearing blue & doing 1 quick story that was really more about support dogs than autism. I would have loved to see a panel of experts that would discuss signs of autism, current therapies, & research. It affects 1 in 68 kids.

They spent more time on April Fool's jokes on April 1st!

In their defense (don't believe I said that) they would lose their audience if they did that.  Worthy subject but first thing in the morning you don't want one news item to take too much time.  They have to appeal to a wide audience.  I would have changed the channel if I watched this show anymore!  They lost me awhile back.  I do a drive by there and here occasionally now. 

I wish they would just shut about whatever contest Matt and Ellen have going on.  Matt never seem to find the tickle him thing that funny anyway.

I saw a few seconds of Matt's interview with the idiot who confused his taser with a gun.  You know, if I killed someone because I did something stupid, I don't think I would be doing media interviews.  And, also, when he said it was a mistake anyone could make....no.  Because I wouldn't be in a situation where I would be able to have access to both weapons since like him, I am not trained.

• Love 3