Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Orange is the New Yuck!

roeflem
  • Start Topic

I stopped watching, just stopping by to see what was going on.  Love the bathroom shelf idea!  

Did not hear about the towing but I do know what happens sometimes.  Store owners watch for offenders, have the tow company on speed dial and share the money.  It can be a side business.  That said, you are asking for it.  I do this sometimes and go into the store and then skulk out and go to another store, I make sure I am seen.  

As we have to watch people moving from room to room, I'm just waiting for someone to trip & fall over all of those exposed cables.

I think my most hated thing on this show is the forced playfulness. It's one thing for the hosts to spontaneously try to dance like the "singing cop". It's another thing when you know the producer told them they have to do it & they don't look happy about it. A story is reported & instead of having just their usual banter, then it's taken one step further & they have to act it out!

• Love 2

Did not hear about the towing but I do know what happens sometimes.  Store owners watch for offenders, have the tow company on speed dial and share the money.  It can be a side business.  That said, you are asking for it.  I do this sometimes and go into the store and then skulk out and go to another store, I make sure I am seen.  

Right, I get being annoyed, but Rosen rolled up to the tow driver and literally said "That's our producers car! She was only parked there 10 minutes. You couldn't give her a warning?". The producer literally parked in front of the sign that clearly said you can only park here if your going to that business and I believe she didn't even go to a business in the same like. She left that parking lot completely to go to another business. The tow driver was rightfully like ummm that's not how it works, no we don't warn people. That's not how business works. It was just a ridiculous segment. 

• Love 2

Right, I get being annoyed, but Rosen rolled up to the tow driver and literally said "That's our producers car! She was only parked there 10 minutes. You couldn't give her a warning?". The producer literally parked in front of the sign that clearly said you can only park here if your going to that business and I believe she didn't even go to a business in the same like. She left that parking lot completely to go to another business. The tow driver was rightfully like ummm that's not how it works, no we don't warn people. That's not how business works. It was just a ridiculous segment. 

Thanks, that is ridiculous. 

I just saw this & yes, it was ridiculous. I don't blame the business owners one bit for towing cars that are parked in front of their business. And there are clear signs in front of the parking spots. It's not the tow truck driver's job to hunt down the owner of the car & give them a warning.

• Love 3

Those were the rampant rumors, but they were steadfastly denied by NBC and Elliott. Here's just one example. All throughout, he maintained that he wanted to get back into sports and especially to do the Olympics. The rumors never stopped about his eventually replacing Lauer, but I think they may actually be grooming him to be Bob Costas's eventual replacement, even if Costas never seems to age. You really don't see too much of Elliott on Today- he has a much bigger presence on NBC Sports- so if they're grooming him to replace Lauer, they're doing it in a strange way.

I wouldn't walk in as the new kid on the network block and publicly announce that I was coveting the top gun's position, either.  IIRC this came up on the thread b/c of how many times he's subbed in.  Rarely have time to see Today lately but can't remember them using anyone recently from NBC Sports to fill in.  If they don't want the rumors, I'm sure they have ample other talent.

In the meantime, he's out of George S' shadow/wake at ABC.  And, long before my time but I believe Bryant Gumbel moved over from NBC Sports so there's precedent.  Matt plays a prominent role IMHO as an Olympic anchor so that makes sense.

As I recall, this is how the 4th hour kind of started out before they hired Kathie Lee Gifford- I think it was Ann Curry, Natalie Morales, Hoda Kotb, and a 4th guest host sitting around the table chatting about various news pieces. It wasn't working, so they eventually recruited Kathie Lee to work with Hoda, which was seen as a kind of desperation move because the prior format wasn't working. So it's really weird that they're essentially going back to that format.

IIRC, 4th hour was born shortly after Meredith came over from ABC.  Both Ann and Natalie had expected to move up at that time so they offered them a new hour to anchor as appeasement, IIRC.  Ann seemed more interested in pursuing the foreign correspondent / hard news career path.  Natalie didn't seem that thrilled, either but Hoda was overjoyed with her promotion to anchor.

Can't remember them ever inviting 4th cohosts and setting up round table discussions - thankfully, tptb weren't into that format, at that time.  The premise was hard news and serious topics, IIRC, and they hoped to compete with View, their competition in that time slot.  Thinking back, most days, I believe they had a tough time getting 2 hosts in b/c Ann and Natalie were always away - or so it seemed, IIRC. 

Hoda, naturally, was desperate to save the sinking ship and retain her anchor position so she grabbed KLG one day when both were having lunch with others in the same NYC restaurant and the revised 4th hour was conceived shortly thereafter.  Haven't ever seen Live w/ whoever but I understand that KLG demanded certain things, e.g. billing, b/c of her Live experience.

And, the Meredith situation probably caused Ann to negotiate and include her subsequent promotion to 2nd chair in her next contract.  We all know how that worked out, lol!

Edited by aguabella

Again, Jill Martin redecorated- this time a family room where the owners tell her "we want a place where the (very young) grandkids can play unsupervised".

Jill puts glass vases & a LIT candle on a coffee table, & more glass vases on a shelf with the kids toys. Another glass vase is on a side table.

Obviously she does not have kids! It looks pretty but not too practical.

Edited by Mrsjumbo

I think what I find so irritating about Rosen is he has a national platform and all the power behind that and yet my local news does a better job of finding actual things to investigate than he does.

Instead it's people complaining about lots of traffic in their neighborhood, tow trucks complying with the law, and some unspecified vague number of cops causing accidents. Seriously, you want to investigate bad cop behavior, there are so many other actual real things to look into.

Edited by bluphoenix451
  • Love 2

I think Jeff Rossen is widely considered a poster child for hack journalism - which, sadly, is probably why NBC snapped him right up.  The guy's work at ABC was also largely made up of non-stories and often filled with useless and/or just plain wrong information.  

• Love 3

I wouldn't walk in as the new kid on the network block and publicly announce that I was coveting the top gun's position, either.  IIRC this came up on the thread b/c of how many times he's subbed in.  Rarely have time to see Today lately but can't remember them using anyone recently from NBC Sports to fill in.  If they don't want the rumors, I'm sure they have ample other talent.

Sure, he wouldn't, but NBC would seemingly take whatever opportunity it could to crow about the fact that they have Josh Elliott and ABC doesn't.  I don't watch Today very much anymore, so I don't know for sure how often Elliott's on the show, but it seemed to me that he's not on the show all that often for someone who NBC would seemingly want to inundate Today viewers with if he is indeed Lauer's annointed successor.  That's not to say Elliott's not in line for it; it just doesn't seem like it's a sure thing right now.

IIRC, 4th hour was born shortly after Meredith came over from ABC.  Both Ann and Natalie had expected to move up at that time so they offered them a new hour to anchor as appeasement, IIRC.  Ann seemed more interested in pursuing the foreign correspondent / hard news career path.  Natalie didn't seem that thrilled, either but Hoda was overjoyed with her promotion to anchor.

Can't remember them ever inviting 4th cohosts and setting up round table discussions - thankfully, tptb weren't into that format, at that time.  The premise was hard news and serious topics, IIRC, and they hoped to compete with View, their competition in that time slot.  Thinking back, most days, I believe they had a tough time getting 2 hosts in b/c Ann and Natalie were always away - or so it seemed, IIRC. 

According to Wiki, Vieira announced in April 2006 that she was taking over for Couric, she officially started in September 2006, Today announced in January 2007 that they were creating a 4th hour, and the 4th hour officially began September 2007. So, your initial timeline recollection is pretty close. I think it was more Curry than Morales who they were trying to appease- Morales was pretty new to Today, having just come over to Today fulltime in 2006 from MSNBC.

You may be right about the co-host thing; I may just be recalling what you say, that they had constantly rotating co-hosts because of frequent absences by Curry or Morales.  It was almost always at least 3 co-hosts, I think, and I recall that Amy Robach and Peter Alexander were on a lot, so they might merely have been filling in.  It was definitely a literal roundtable though, at least at the beginning, as this clip from the debut of the 4th hour shows.

So I guess Nancy Snyderman is gone? I know she was suspended over that Ebola quarantine issue, then was on in early December to do a mea culpa (sort of), but as far as I know, she hasn't been on since, and they have someone new doing all the medical stories.

My guess is they are keeping her on the bench and paying her for the rest of her contract and will let her go.

Edit: really weird that two people notice the same thing at the same time!

Edited by Rickster
  • Love 1

Radar is super unreliable and have been caught publishing completely made up stories in the past.  I'll wait for another gossip rag reports it or when rumors hit The Wrap or Deadline.

And the article doesn't even make sense.  1) Peter Pan was three hours long, how in the world would KLG's musical air in prime time and 2) they did air her horrible musical on the Today show which NBC rightly corrected Radar.  That story smells like it's made up and Radar is hoping people will fall for it because KLG is on one of her month long vacations.

Edited by junemeatcleaver

We were changing cable companies the day the musical aired, so I didn't see it. Nor do I care enough to try to find it online.

I wonder why she can't mention her wine business when Joy Bauer has a snack food delivery business that they plug on air, or Hoda's book, etc.?

I get the feeling with both of her kids in CA, KLG won't be staying in NY forever.

I liked Billy Bush the best of all of the guest hosts.

This morning they showed a clip of Al Roker on WWHL with Andy Cohen.  The clip was dumb.  Matt Lauer proudly said it was trending.  Oh, no it is not!   No way!  The people who like AL probably don't have smart phones let alone a twitter account.  They are on the verge of showing up on Willard Scott's Smuckers Jam jars.   

Is Dr. Nancy Snyderman gone for good? Hopefully. I have noticed the last few days, there is a new woman doctor giving her advice in the medical segments.

So I guess Nancy Snyderman is gone? I know she was suspended over that Ebola quarantine issue, then was on in early December to do a mea culpa (sort of), but as far as I know, she hasn't been on since, and they have someone new doing all the medical stories.

My guess is they are keeping her on the bench and paying her for the rest of her contract and will let her go.

Edit: really weird that two people notice the same thing at the same time!

Haven't seen much of the show lately but noticed they brought in a backup / reinforcement when she went on suspension.  Sounds like if she's coming back, they'll work her in slowly.

Did a quick drive-by this a.m. and noticed Ms. Snyderman.  Stopped for a minute or two and it sounded like a taped package on measles.

So, we'll see.

Sure, he wouldn't, but NBC would seemingly take whatever opportunity it could to crow about the fact that they have Josh Elliott and ABC doesn't.  I don't watch Today very much anymore, so I don't know for sure how often Elliott's on the show, but it seemed to me that he's not on the show all that often for someone who NBC would seemingly want to inundate Today viewers with if he is indeed Lauer's annointed successor.  That's not to say Elliott's not in line for it; it just doesn't seem like it's a sure thing right now.

According to Wiki, Vieira announced in April 2006 that she was taking over for Couric, she officially started in September 2006, Today announced in January 2007 that they were creating a 4th hour, and the 4th hour officially began September 2007. So, your initial timeline recollection is pretty close. I think it was more Curry than Morales who they were trying to appease- Morales was pretty new to Today, having just come over to Today fulltime in 2006 from MSNBC.

You may be right about the co-host thing; I may just be recalling what you say, that they had constantly rotating co-hosts because of frequent absences by Curry or Morales.  It was almost always at least 3 co-hosts, I think, and I recall that Amy Robach and Peter Alexander were on a lot, so they might merely have been filling in.  It was definitely a literal roundtable though, at least at the beginning, as this clip from the debut of the 4th hour shows.

At this point in the game, NBC would be considering multiple options.  I don't see why they would "crow" about Elliott.  Also, it's a little early to be "inundating" the viewers with Josh when they probably haven't make the decision, although I can't remember specifically when Matt's contract is up.  (IIRC, it's mid-2016.)  And, I haven't heard Josh referred to as the "anointed successor" or a "sure thing" by anyone, including me.

WRT the 4th hour, the timeline you mentioned is consistent with everything I previously posted.  Networks don't make programming decisions overnight and turn on a dime.  It takes a significant amount of time to develop a new concept and bring it to fruition.*

I was a regular viewer during those months and noticed Natalie preening and prancing before Meredith was announced as the replacement.  At the time, I believed she was too new to expect the #2 chair but it was obvious she hoped to move up within the pecking order.  In the corporate world, that wouldn't be unusual.  Also, she was well known to both viewers and tptb b/c she'd been a regular fill-in from MSNBC before beginning her full-time, permanent gig. 

Nobody claimed it was setup as less than 3 slots, at least that I can recall.  The clip attached was from the 1st day of school so naturally everyone appeared, with bells on.  That said, it doesn't mean they necessarily had 3 as time went on and I remember it more as 2, i.e. Hoda and whoever they could rope into it on that day. 

As previously indicated, both Ann and Natalie had other gigs that kept them busy and frequently out of town.  Natalie, IIRC, was the "national correspondent" or something along those lines at that time so she was travelling.  As a regular viewer, I remember the main hosts frequently teasing the new 4th hour by cutting away to Hoda, sitting by her lonesome, drinking coffee and reading the newspaper to prep for hot topics.  I'm sure Amy and Peter filled in occasionally but both had other gigs, including frequent travel, so I don't recall them as regulars.

Don't know why Natalie, as the somewhat new kid on the block, besides Hoda, wasn't more interested or didn't seem to be, anyway.  Can only suspect that she was disappointed they'd brought in talent from another network, cutting off everyone's hope to advance.  If she had been into the 4th hour, I doubt Hoda would have basically grabbed KLG by the throat and refused to let go until she agreed to come in and talk to tptb about the 4th hour.  KLG appeared to be thrilled to get back on the air in the first chair and naturally insisted on top billing, etc.  (BTW, I was never a "Live" view so can't speak to those issues.)

Don't know what's going on now between KLG and Hoda (you couldn't pay me to watch that, lol) but I suspect Hoda may feel somewhat beholden to KLG for saving the 4th hour, such as it is.  Hoda, like the other correspondents, previously had done significant travel, so the 4th hour must be a cushy gig, to her.

* That said, the 3rd hour, when it started, was an exception to that rule.  Different topic but IIRC, the 3rd hour began very quickly b/c at that time, it was primarily a retread of clip jobs from the 1st 2 hours.  Typically, they'd replay their top stories and/or big "get" interviews.  Occasionally, Al and/or one of the female correspondents would introduce their own new stories.  So, the 3rd hour was added fairly quickly, IIRC. 

it was It felt like a slow way for Al to ease off weather.  Have they made him get back to weather these days?  Or, maybe just go away altogether???    lol

Edited by aguabella

Is Dr Natalie Azar the Jeff Rosen of the medical stories? Yesterday- sugary drinks linked to early puberty. Today- chemicals linked to early menopause.

Like Jeff Rosen, give us statistics & more of the story. How prevalent is this? Has the prevalence changed over the years? What age is considered "early" for puberty or menopause?

Edited by Mrsjumbo
  • Love 3

Savannah Guthrie's interview with the President was E M B A R R A S S I N G. She really is a complete moron, isn't she?

Yes.  She introduced one clip saying, the president opened up to me yesterday.  Oy.  No, he didn't.  He gave you the tour of his beer making like he will or would do to anyone who happened by.  

Natalie looks much older than she is, all the women do with their news castor hair and conservative dress.  Why not allow/require them to look more current?  None of the morning shows seem to care about attracting a younger or a more hip audience.   

None of the morning shows seem to care about attracting a younger or a more hip audience.

I think the morning news shows, and most news in general, are after the 25-54 age group demo.  These shows aren't "hip" because their primary audience are mostly 35ish to 50 year old women.

I think the morning news shows, and most news in general, are after the 25-54 age group demo.  These shows aren't "hip" because their primary audience are mostly 35ish to 50 year old women.

I am old and would LOVE to see a more current look.  By younger I meant twenties and thirties!   I just don't dress like any of these women.  A sleeveless sheath straight of suburban 1960 is not a good look today.  Jane Fonda is 77 and she doesn't dress like this either.  

• Love 1

Why are they pimping out this Fifty Shades movie every single day? It is positively cringeworthy. Today I noticed that Dakota Johnson (in the movie clips) looks uncannily like the book's author. It is bizarre.

• Love 2

Why are they pimping out this Fifty Shades movie every single day? It is positively cringeworthy. Today I noticed that Dakota Johnson (in the movie clips) looks uncannily like the book's author. It is bizarre.

Synergy...NBC is under the Universal umbrella and 50SoG is their movie.

EL James was heavily involved in the movie's production, so I doubt Dakota looking like a younger version of her is coincidental.

• Love 2

I keep the Today third  hour on as background to catch the local news and weather while I'm getting ready to go out.  This morning I guess Nat and Carson went to a screening of 50SOG.  Number one:  This is why I stopped watching Today, when they started the synergy bit with Katie Couric looking for subway stop 9-3/4 or whatever it was in a Harry Potter flick.  Number two:  Poor Carson looked so uncomfortable and underwhelmed while trying to look interested at one point that I felt bad for him, but was amused nonetheless.  

I would have sent KLG and Hoda if I were going to send anyone.  If you're going there, you might as well go full speed no? 

Edited because while it may have seemed like the fourth hour, it was only the third.

Edited by harrie

I would have sent KLG and Hoda if I were going to send anyone.  If you're going there, you might as well go full speed no? 

Exactly. I know the Today show is obligated to pimp 50SoG, but they need to save this shit for the Hoda and KLG hour. Everyone looks embarrassed to be discussing the book/movie. And I guess Carson drew the short straw.

As soon as I saw that wench Dr. Nancy doing a segment on heart disease, I changed the channel. I cannot stand her smug mug.

I always thought Natalie looked like Queen Letizia of Spain.

• Love 3

Will there be another week of 50 Shades promo or is this it?  I've had enough of the fake enthusiasm for that dreck.  I was surprised that Kathie Lee mentioned that 50 Shades was Twilight fanfic, I would have thought Universal would have made mentioning the Twilight connection off limits.

I know the Today show is obligated to pimp 50SoG, but they need to save this shit for the Hoda and KLG hour.

Does that hour air everywhere, though?  My local affiliate airs KLG & Hoda at 1:00 pm, some horrible local show occupies the 10:00 am hour.

• Love 1

I believe -- oh, hell, I know because the commercials are on all the time -- it opens either Valentine's Day or Friday the 13th, so I would guess Today is going to beat this thing to death.  Or at least submission.  

• Love 1

I hate all this 50soG talk & interviews. I am about as interested in this as Twilight (which is not at all), & KLG hit the nail on the head when she said it's Twilight for adults.

I like a sleeveless sheath look IN SUMMER. It looks ridiculous when it is 5 degrees out.

• Love 3

They're pimping it so much because it is produced and distributed by NBC Universal.

I'm as romantic as the next person but I really don't hope we see a proposal every morning at 8 am.  Heh, I can see it totally backfiring with every morning women in relationships that are on the plaza expect a proposal this week.

• Love 1

Matt and Savannah were near tears this morning when Today reported Brian Williams suspension.  Willie, Natalie and Tamron were teary-eyed as well when touched on the BW situation on Today's Take.  I can't really blame them, BW is a person they are either friends with or looked up to and admired.

• Love 1

Wasn't Pippa supposed to be a special correspondent? Has she done one story yet?

Pippa will probably be called in to report on the royal Spare being born, so they don't have to send Natalie for 3 months like last time ;-)

This morning they covered a story about people vying for one-way tickets to Mars in 2025. Carson said he'd like to send the Kardashians. Then Al piped in saying that it would be a return to their homeland. Hahahaha!

• Love 1