Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Orange is the New Yuck!

roeflem
  • Start Topic

I've been lurking here quite a while, and believe it or not, this finally drove me to post.  I could not agree more.  I cannot stand that Josh Elliott.  One reason I hated Good Morning America was him; when he left there, I figured he was bent on getting his face on the Today show.  Ugh, what a pill he is.  Please keep him off Today!!

• Love 2

i have to know why no one likes Josh Elliot.  I watch Today but with a divided attention and have not registered on him, not even a little.  Very possible that I block him out as I do some on that show.  i have been with this since Jane Pauley.  I have tried to watch other morning shows when I become annoyed with some cast but I keep coming back. Josh is a dead zone in my mind.  What does he do?  I googled him and kind of recognize the face but beyond that a blank. 

Edited by wings707

Josh Elliott was the newsreader on GMA.  He left there to join NBC Sports.  Which, to me, read as he wants to work around to taking over for Lauer.  And sure enough, there he is popping up on Today.  He is smarmy and snotty and just projects a lot of attitude.   They need to send him off to permanent quarantine with Dr. Nancy.

• Love 1

I am going to pay attention to him now.  I am curious. I really have no clue who this guy is.  I watch the show while doing morning stuff and it is pretty much background for me.  

Josh Elliott went to GMA courtesy ESPN (Cold Pizza/First Take). He's your typical Bristol frat-boy doucheface. At least he writhed in relative obscurity (relative to the mainstream non-sportscentric news media) when he was on the World Wide Leader. It's mind-boggling that he's wormed his way out and up.

I need a translation and more detail. Seriously.  I really want to know.  

I just don't like Josh Elliot; I think he mugs, overacts, and comes off as a phony.   There's no science to my dislike of him, it's basically gut-driven. 

Thanks for the horndoggery link, Chattygal.  I live semi-close to Bristol and now must read the piece.  

DorianGray, I love your avatar!  Is that your dog? 

• Love 2

I recently got a job (unemployment sucks!) so I haven't been watching this show after 7:30 when I have to leave.  I'm off today because of the holiday, but just watching these fools right now in the 9:00 hour just makes me realize how glad I am that I have something else to do in the morning.  It's the same ol' shit and things haven't gotten any better:  Tamron giggling and acting like a two-year old; Al telling tired jokes and thinking he's sooooo funny; Willie looking like he wants to be anywhere but there; and Natalie trying to look like she wants to be there with Tamron.  

• Love 3

Jon Stewart was full of win:

1. Kissing on Al Roker's picture;

2. Noticing Matt's knit tie and then saying Whatizzit? School picture day?; and

3. At the end, rubbing Matt's head which prompts Matt to say peevishly What are you doing? to which Jon responded Falling in love <sigh>.

• Love 1

I like Natalie Morales but NBC seems to pick idiots- Ex, Savannah & Tamron. Savannah might be bright but comes across as a ditsy bimbo. And Tamron is fine when she's just reading the news- off script & she's a giggling fool.

• Love 1

Can the Today Show sink any further what with the Al Rocker Weatherthon? *Sigh* I want news in the morning not this self promoting crap where the news/weather reader is the story. They are acting as if Al is a hero for breaking the Guinness Book's record for the longest weather forecast. Well at least Deborah Roberts got him out of the house for 36 hours. Now if he was reporting on a storm like Katrina and actually performing a public service that would be one thing but to be in a cozy studio with snow in the Midwest just doesn't mean a damn thing except to fall into the "selfie" trap that everything he does is news worthy.

Lord, please deliver us from this type of self promotion (and take Tamron too). I just don't find anyone on The Today Show, but Willie, relatable anymore.

• Love 4

Can the Today Show sink any further what with the Al Rocker Weatherthon?

I'm sure it can, and no doubt it will. The "We are stars and are so far up our own asses, we could give a shit what's going on in the world unless we can make it about us" attitude finally killed it for me with the "Rokerthon." I used to tune in just to mock it, but I can't stand to do even that anymore.

Edited by Hildegard802
  • Love 2

Can the Today Show sink any further what with the Al Rocker Weatherthon? *Sigh* I want news in the morning not this self promoting crap where the news/weather reader is the story. They are acting as if Al is a hero for breaking the Guinness Book's record for the longest weather forecast. Well at least Deborah Roberts got him out of the house for 36 hours. Now if he was reporting on a storm like Katrina and actually performing a public service that would be one thing but to be in a cozy studio with snow in the Midwest just doesn't mean a damn thing except to fall into the "selfie" trap that everything he does is news worthy.

Lord, please deliver us from this type of self promotion (and take Tamron too). I just don't find anyone on The Today Show, but Willie, relatable anymore.

Hey, at least Al is doing the work. Jill Martin just had someone else design that shoe & then other people made it, & she took the credit.

Much like "Hoda's" video for pediatric cancer, where she just showed up & got the credit. Didn't write or perform the music, or help create the video.

• Love 1

This show sounds like it's a mess.

Earlier this month, Page Six ran a story about a growing tension between Today co-hosts Natalie Morales and Tamron Hall, claiming Morales has been quietly planning her exit from the show. [Jamie] Horowitz was blamed for both the personnel issues and the Page Six item. According to the New York Times:

But some NBC insiders suspected that Mr. Horowitz was behind the accounts of conflict, especially because the stories included speculation that Mr. Horowitz was already in line to succeed [Deborah] Turness, routinely described as embattled, despite the fact that he had barely started at NBC and had no experience as a news journalist.

And via Page Six:

An NBC source said, "There was a lot of insecurity and instability created when he walked in the door. He would pit anchors against anchors and producers against producers and it created a lot of internal problems. He would ask the staff who they wanted to be their seniors and who were the weakest links in the organization.

I don't get why they hired Horowitz to come in and give the desperate show a make over, but then fired him before he even had the chance.  It sounds like they want to solve their problem, but don't want to do anything to solve their problem.  How dense can you be?  

So what if Horowitz was asking questions that made people uncomfortable.  Maybe that's the problem.  The staff are afraid to speak their minds because they know if they do, they'll be canned.  Smart move NBC.  Now everybody will be scared in their job, because even the problem solver got axed.  

What are they so afraid of?  It's insane that they are so stubborn that they can't handle the truth about their show.  If they are that dense and stubborn, then it serves them right.  Stay in second or third place.  

I don't necessarily think that Matt is the problem.  I don't know that, but I think the problems are much greater than him..  I'd rather see Matt than the female leads on that show anyway, except for Hoda.  She's good when she fills in.  Al is okay, but the rest are a snooze fest, IMO.  And that woman who randomly walks around the studio while reporting like she's power walking while the others sit at the desk.  It's just bizarre, IMO. 

I like Hoda with Matt. But then I'm in the minority and like Matt. It's the women who act like girls that bug me. Tamoron is the worst. I cannot fathom that management likes her. She must have some blackmail on somebody. Not a great fan of Savannah or Natalie but I can take them.

Rokerthon was dumb.

Watched One Direction with my kid yesterday. Can the cameramen actually show the act singing and not the audience. It's one if my pet peeves. They do this all the time on all the networks. I don't care how excited the audience is or who is there. Just show the performers.

Edited by LGGirl
  • Love 1

I didn't like Willie Geist when he started, but he has grown on me, and now he is one of my favorites. I had heard about the Natalie/Tamron feud, but heard nothing about Willie leaving. The only ones I like are Willie, Hoda, Tamron(in very small doses) and the Bush daughter. Savannah can do the early mornings that I don't watch. The rest can leave. I had heard that Natalie and Matt were having an affair so I thought her place was safe.

• Love 2

Today doesn't seem to know how to get back on track, and firing Willie, Natalie, or even Tamron will accomplish little.  Unless they find personalities that are stronger and more compelling than the ones they got (besides Hoda), I think they're going to remain in second place. 

One problem is the 3 hour format.  They have to stretch things out to fill the time.  Maybe they should reduce the time to be in direct competition with the others.  They can fill the subsequent hours with something not called Today so those who like it can still get a hit of whatever it is they do.  I watch out of habit since I have since Jane Pauley and my parents with Dave Garroway.   I don't particularly like the anchors on the other shows.  I dislike Robin Roberts more than the Today staff (Tamron excluded, I hate her too!)  

ETA-  Get rid of Al Roker for fuck sake.  Get someone young and current.  And get Hoda in there in a permanent spot before she gets her own show or another network snaps her up.  She is viewer gold.  

Edited by wings707

One problem is the 3 hour format.  They have to stretch things out to fill the time.  Maybe they should reduce the time to be in direct competition with the others.  They can fill the subsequent hours with something not called Today so those who like it can still get a hit of whatever it is they do.  I watch out of habit since I have since Jane Pauley and my parents with Dave Garroway.   I don't particularly like the anchors on the other shows.  I dislike Robin Roberts more than the Today staff (Tamron excluded, I hate her too!)  

ETA-  Get rid of Al Roker for fuck sake.  Get someone young and current.  And get Hoda in there in a permanent spot before she gets her own show or another network snaps her up.  She is viewer gold.  

Al is smart and funny.

And besides youth is overrated. Age and experience never hurts imo.

And now Katherine Schwartzenegger is a correspondent!!!  Right out of college!  Way to go NBC!

One GOOD reason to NOT watch the show -_-.

• Love 2

Jamie Horowitz's plan to fire Savannah, Natalie and Willie, and eventually replace Matt with Josh Elliott, led to Horowitz's firing

Insiders familiar with the behind-the-scenes drama at “Today” told TheWrap that Horowitz–hired to oversee “Today” and take back the ratings thrown from “Good Morning America” had “bold” and “good” ideas, but approached his plan with guns blazing,  proposing to fire most of the “Today” anchor team, including Savannah Guthrie, Natalie Morales, and Willie Geist. His overzealousness led anchors to complain to Turness, eventually leading to Horowitz's dismissal.

The report also suggests Horowitz–who shared a cubicle with Josh Elliott back in their early days at ESPN–was pushing for him to replace Morales as the show's newsreader. An insider told TheWrap Horowitz's grander vision was Elliott eventually replacing Matt Lauer, who re-signed his contract soon after Elliott joined NBC News.

If Horowitz's ideas were good, why fire him?  It sounds like NBC liked his vision outside of plans for the mass firings and asking producers which anchors should go, but why couldn't they come up with some compromises?

Willi, Hoda, Brooke Shields and Matt would work for me.   A young weather guy with a good sense of humor.  David Letterman was the best weatherman I have ever seen and that was only in clips, I was too young at the time.  

• Love 3

Well, thank goodness Katherine S. has a job on Today now! I had read an article about Maria Shriver and she was "worried" about what poor Katherine would end up doing with her life after college graduation. Worry no more. When I saw her being introduced this morning, I could not change the channel fast enough. Same thing I do when Maria graces my screen.

• Love 2

Until Hoda gets to the 4th hour, where she acts like a tween. "Oh My God!!!"

I agree with the previous poster that they should cut the show down in time. I know KLG & Hoda have their fans, maybe give them a talk show afterwards or something? But the show is too long & there is too much stupid filler- the 4 answering questions about themselves written by celebrities (really? Who cares), today's take (just give me the story, I don't care about your opinions about it), etc.

I love that there is much less Jenna Wolfe. Now to get rid of Tamron...

I'm in the minority but I like Natalie. And I love her hair.

• Love 1

I also like Hoda and Matt together because they act like two mature, pleasant people. 

I really enjoy the combination of Matt and Hoda. Good chemistry that isn't forced. There is something about Hoda makes Matt more likeable.

Why is it that I like Tamron as a newsreader or when she's anchoring her show NewsNation on MSNBC, but stick her on a red carpet or ask her to report on a pop culture story, and she turns into a shrill, hyperactive woman-child. I cannot watch the third hour of Today when she's on, without gritting my teeth. She is embarrassing.

I also can't stand Maria Shriver.

• Love 4
Why is it that I like Tamron as a newsreader or when she's anchoring her show NewsNation on MSNBC, but stick her on a red carpet or ask her to report on a pop culture story, and she turns into a shrill, hyperactive woman-child.

I don't understand Tamron either.  When she's reading the news, she's just fine.  I don't watch much of MSNBC anymore, but I remember her as being very intelligent and mature when she hosted her show.  The only thing I can think of is that the producers told her she could act more relaxed and laid back when interacting with the others on the Today show, but she thought that meant "act like a five year old." 

• Love 4

The Hollywood Reporter's take on Jamie Horowitz's firing

Horowitz, 38, had completed more than two months of observation at NBC before his official December start. Sources say the former ESPN exec (hired to a three-year, $3.3 million deal, according to The New York Times) made a bold five-hour presentation to NBC News president Deborah Turness in mid-November. He proposed that Today lead co-anchor Savannah Guthrie, 42, be dropped and Morales demoted. The morning show's 10 a.m. co-anchor Hoda Kotb, 50, should be redeployed to the earlier hours; Josh Elliott, 43, groomed for a larger role; and Al Roker, 60, moved off the weather beat. Horowitz's would-be plan was in opposition to Turness' take on Today; as one source puts it, Turness thinks there's a problem with the playbook while Horowitz sees the issue as the show's players.

Those changes don't sound too bad to me, though I think the show's problems are bigger than who's anchoring when.

I think Tamron is polarizing from what I've seen.  I know she doesn't bother me that much.

• Love 3

I agree about Tamron. She's fine reading the news, but acts like a giggling idiot if she is off script. I feel the same way about Hoda. She's professional & pleasant in the early hours, but in the 4th hour of KLG she acts like a 13 yr old.

• Love 6

On November 18th the NY Post had a news article on Page 6 where they reported that Al Roker was told to take it down a notch by NBC Executives. Apparently his buffoonery finally caught the eye of the Today Show or NBC Executives. Now if they could also call in Tamron and tell her to take it to a different network I'd be so happy. Page 6 also listed Al's most cringeworthy moments on the show (geeze that wouldn't be hard just turn on the Today Show on any day). Whether it's true or not the article stated the Executives wanted Al to act more like a traditional weather forecaster.

Here's a thought...take him off the red carpets and inauguration parades. I'm sure he believes he is hot shit because the VP greeted him during the parade. The whole Guiness Book of Records longest weather reporting was a new low for The Today Show.

Of course I'm still amazed that some people loved Ann Curry. I was so happy when she got the boot. She was a horrible interviewer and made coffee nervous...little did I know that they would replace her with the "Sweetwater Valley High School" pep squad. Lord this show has fallen so low.

• Love 3

I much preferred Ann Curry to the idiocy that passes today. Of course back then they didn't have all of the banter & opinionated chatter.

I wonder if Al was told to rein it in because he disses the Today show every so often. When Ann Curry was fired I remember him commenting that the Today show throws people under the bus.

Lately he joked "have you SEEN our show?" when someone said how professional it is.

I think the powers that be don't like those little digs.

If it's true they just want him to tone down the jokes, that's pretty ridiculous compared to Tamron's hyper giggling & imbecility.

• Love 3

Of course I'm still amazed that some people loved Ann Curry. I was so happy when she got the boot. She was a horrible interviewer and made coffee nervous.

This is hysterical and I agree.  

• Love 1

Ann Curry was a nightmare. Every morning I'd just pray she wouldn't trip over her tongue. But she always did. And her interviewing skills were worse.

On November 18th the NY Post had a news article on Page 6 where they reported that Al Roker was told to take it down a notch by NBC Executives. Apparently his buffoonery finally caught the eye of the Today Show or NBC Executives.

They just noticed?! Al doesn't think he's on a news show. He thinks he's on a sitcom about a news show. I blame the production crew for encouraging the buffoonery and ki-kiing in the background like his laugh track.
  • Love 1

Nancy Snyderman was back on The Today Show this morning http://gawker.com/nancy-snyderman-is-sorry-or-whatever-for-breaking-ebola-1666119175.  There was an earlier article on Sunday about whether she is fired or not http://gawker.com/nbcs-nancy-snyderman-fully-fired-or-just-sort-of-fired-1664911250.

"I wear two hats—I have my doctor hat and I have my journalist hat,

And, which hat led you to break quarantine?

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 2

IMO Natalie did a very poor interview with the cast of Peter Pan.

She probably knows the show is lame, casting Allison was BS. Because of it, she didn't want to do it.

NBC is sure peddling the show constanly. They must be really nervous about it.