Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Orange is the New Yuck!

roeflem
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Today was Lester's real last day with Today Weekend. Even, Jenna Wolfe showed up. All in all, a nice send off for 12 years of doing the show. I actually had no idea he had been there that long. was he the original host for the weekend edition?

Edit to add: I had looked up Today Weekend in Wikipedia. I had forgotten I was watching the show when Jodi Applegate (1996–1999) & Soledad O'Brien (1999–2003) were hosting the show. I really liked Soledad. I remember when she was the "it" girl and I thought she was going to be really big. She has bounced around the last few years and I'm not really sure where she is now.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 4

Today was Lester's real last day with Today Weekend. Even, Jenna Wolfe showed up. All in all, a nice send off for 12 years of doing the show. I actually had no idea he had been there that long. was he the original host for the weekend edition?

Do they have footage of it already on the Today shows site?

Loved seeing Jenna pop out of that box - I know she bugs a lot of people (and used to bug me) but once I realized that Lester loves her she was aces in my book! I wish Lester all the best at Nightly News - he deserves it! Wonder who will succeed him on Weekend Today - I would love Thomas Roberts.

• Love 5

was he the original host for the weekend edition?

I had forgotten Lester replaced David Bloom on the Weekend Show.  I still miss David. 

I believe that Lester is the first African American to host a nightly news show by himself.   When Max Robinson hosted World News Tonight, it was a three man team.

• Love 2

Even if Lester did not like Jenna, you would never know it, he's that classy.

Getting back to Rossen reports- I'm surprised he hasn't had a "how to survive a mass shooting" story.

• Love 5

It is sad. Typical Today - go over the top on Mother's Day and don't do enough for the Father's Day. At least I didn't have to see Jenna Bush interview her Dad and Grandfather.

Yesterday I could not figure out at first why the dog was staring at Matt with such an intense look. Then I got it - Matt had treats.

Craig seems to be on the rise, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's got the gig.

I hope so too. He seems calm & friendly, & doesn't have the obnoxious personality of some. *cough* Jenna Wolfe *cough*

• Love 1

How many days is Today going to be part of the Ellie Kemper Emmy campaign? There's no other reason for her ubiquitous presence on the show the past few days other than a vote push for Kemper and Kimmy Schmidt - I assume, out of deference to Tina Fey, in spite of NBC's passing the show onto Netflix.

They called her the "guest cohost of the summer" so I'm sure we'll be seeing more of her. What their motivation is, I couldn't tell you.

Ellie is way too animated for this show. But, I guess it means she will fit right in because everyone's focus seems to be "hey, look at me!"

Yes, I thought Tamron was high energy but Ellie seems just as excitable. Too perky for my taste!

• Love 2

I watched for maybe 5 minutes, if that, and Ellie could not calmly sit still or focus on who was talking; it was Tamron.  She kept looking at the camera and making faces in response to what she was saying, it was mugging pure and simple.  She was very jumpy and uptight.  Willie was staring straight ahead and ignoring in a way that let you know he was uncomfortable at the way she participating when it was not necessary.  Calm down, girl. 

• Love 2

I believe Hoda's got some horse in her.  That's the only explanation I can come up with for why she kicks her damn legs up in the air when the group is standing out on the plaza. 

• Love 1

So now Regis is a semi regular host on the 4th hour? (They said once a month). I loved Regis and was sorry he left live but really? I think he isn't up to the job even if they are goofy.

So now Regis is a semi regular host on the 4th hour? (They said once a month). I loved Regis and was sorry he left live but really? I think he isn't up to the job even if they are goofy.

Yea it's legit. Just read about it. Not sure what I think of it though, tbh.

Is it in the women's contracts that they have to wear sleeveless dresses? It's not just a summer thing, they do it in the winter also. Seems casual next to the suits that the men wear.

• Love 1

I wonder if klg finagled that. I agree, I don't think he can keep up & seems befuddled most of the time.

(edited)

Yea it's legit. Just read about it. Not sure what I think of it though, tbh.

I wonder if klg finagled that. I agree, I don't think he can keep up & seems befuddled most of the time.

I get the feeling that Regis is the retired horse who used to pull fire engines, and he doesn't like being put out to pasture.  And while he does seem befuddled, I thought that was part of his shtick even when he was younger -- the sputtering, etc. is typical Regis   If KLG had something to do with his occasional appearances ot Today, I may have to change my opinion of her, as perhaps she is much kinder than I would have thought.  I usually avoid the fourth hour of the show, but I may check in once in a while to see if Reege is on. 

ETA:  This is just my opinion, and I know probably an unpopular one.  

Edited by harrie
(edited)

Hello, de-lurking (long-time fan of TWoP and been here since the switchover) to blow steam: I cannot STAND "The Insufferable Ellie Kemper" on Today's Take. I hope an earlier poster is right, and that she's on for Emmy votes/exposure and will be gone soon. Tamron has been gone for a while (yay!) but probably only for vacation (boo). I catch myself feeling a little sorry for Ellie, because she is obviously lost, usually doesn't know which camera to turn to, talks over the guests (but she's learning from the best), and has this weird, slow head nod going on (that I doubt she is aware of). But, that feeling quickly disappears as she inevitably turns the attention on herself, with obviously advanced blessing, as her teenage photo and video embellishments are cued up and ready to go. "Look! I've been cute, perky, and precocious since Day One!" Ugh. Sorry for the rant, but I am happy to be in good company...clearly, it's not just me!

Edited by Liz Tudor
  • Love 3

How many days is Today going to be part of the Ellie Kemper Emmy campaign? There's no other reason for her ubiquitous presence on the show the past few days other than a vote push for Kemper and Kimmy Schmidt - I assume, out of deference to Tina Fey, in spite of NBC's passing the show onto Netflix.

Looks like everyone got noms, except Ellie, today! The funniest part of that show is every minute Titus Burgess is onscreen, so I'm happy he's getting the recognition he deserves.

Oh boy...

Source: techdirt.com

The MPAA have been trying to get the Today show and the WSJ to smear Google.

Thoughts on this you guys? (Keeping any politics out of it though.)

I really hope that they get in big trouble over this, but I doubt that anything will come of it.

Re the segment "Women are cold at work because a/c temps are set for men:"

Step One: Samantha, Natalie, etc etc, put some clothes on. You're always in sleeveless minis and the men are always in suits.

I'm not saying the theory is a conplete fallacy. Hands can still get cold. But Jenna presenting the segment while wearing a minimal dress was pretty silly.

• Love 4

There was time when the women on these new shows occasionally wore slacks and long-sleeved blouses or jackets.  I don't remember seeing Jane Pauley or Meredith Viera in sleeveless dresses all the time. 

• Love 2

Thoughts:

Yeah, I think Natalie must be happy that she has some job security!

I had the same thought about the sleeveless dresses. The last few days are the first time I've actually seen them wearing SLEEVES! It's gone from sleeveless shift dresses to tank styles- must show more skin!

I hate Carson's new coke bottle glasses.

• Love 1

Augh! The Insufferable Ellie Kemper is back. And *click* goes the TV set. Maybe it's not such a bad thing (for me) after all. Just can't stand her AND Tamron AND Natalie talking and barking over one another.

• Love 2

I give Jenna Bush Hager props. She's due any day now and she looks great. She doesn't look uncomfortable at all. I know she's only on for an hour, but I don't think I could've done 5 minutes in the days before I was due.

Jeff Rossen's been beaten up before - and deservedly so -- but this week he's doing a series that completely rips off the ABC show What Would You Do?.   WWYD has been running on ABC, albeit in a graveyard spot on Friday nights, for years.  Maybe Jeff Rossen got the idea for his series from his wife -- who is the senior producer of What Would You Do?

I know journalism is constantly changing, but this is just not journalism in my book. 

• Love 4

Jeff Rossen's been beaten up before - and deservedly so -- but this week he's doing a series that completely rips off the ABC show What Would You Do?.   WWYD has been running on ABC, albeit in a graveyard spot on Friday nights, for years.  Maybe Jeff Rossen got the idea for his series from his wife -- who is the senior producer of What Would You Do?

I know journalism is constantly changing, but this is just not journalism in my book. 

Wow. That's just low.

No thanks guys, I'll watch the real deal ;).

• Love 1

I think it's such a blatant ripoff of the ABC show that I don't understand why NBC hasn't been sued.  Plus, Natalie did something similar not long ago, only she did it with unsuspecting kids.  I think it was called "What Would Your Kids Do?" and I thought it was so unfair to those kids.

• Love 6

I thought to myself "isn't this just another version of "what would you do?". I mistakenly thought that was another NBC show so who cares if they did the same concept.

Very interesting to find out it is ABC, & that his wife is involved in it!

They are running out of ideas for Jeff Rossen. I'm preferring Jenna Wolfe lately, & that is saying something!!

• Love 2

Wow, Hoda is nice and likable, bit everyday she shows how stupid she really is. She thought that "anether" and "alls" were words? This is a journalist? She says so many stupid things fhat it's scary! How dianthus woman ever get through college, let alone get jobs? I guess reasons the news covered up her lack of intelligence.

• Love 1

That little girl sitting next to Tamron this morning couldn't wait to get away.  Kids can sense when an adult isn't kid-friendly and it doesn't matter if the adult has kids or not.   I'm not saying Tamron isn't nice, but she's just too jumpy.

• Love 3

I give Jenna Bush Hager props. She's due any day now and she looks great. She doesn't look uncomfortable at all. I know she's only on for an hour, but I don't think I could've done 5 minutes in the days before I was due.

I can't get over how she was on the show one day last week, went home and had her baby.  That's a trooper.

• Love 2