Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Orange is the New Yuck!

roeflem
  • Start Topic

It was curious to hear the man say, at first, it was the second worst thing that had happened in his life.  He then corrected to the worst thing.  I think his lawyer wanted him to do interviews.   They wanted to public to see him as an older family man to garner sympathy.  Don't think that worked.  

• Love 2

Yeah, IMO that makes it worse trying to make him seem an older family man.  He's 73.  Why is he playing cops and robbers.  I don't know the retirement age for most real policemen but that seems to me a bit beyond retirement age. 

And, that comment - the worst thing that has ever happened to him.  I think it was a worse thing for the guy he killed.

• Love 4

On a less serious note, why does Hoda kick her legs up, one at a time like a horse, when she's standing on the plaza?  It's like she's uncomfortable standing and she just looks...awkward.  Maybe she's sat too long alongside Kathie Lee.

• Love 1

Yeah, IMO that makes it worse trying to make him seem an older family man.  He's 73.  Why is he playing cops and robbers.  I don't know the retirement age for most real policemen but that seems to me a bit beyond retirement age. 

And, that comment - the worst thing that has ever happened to him.  I think it was a worse thing for the guy he killed.

That whole interview was really creepy!!  I couldn't take my eyes off both his daughters, at one point, rubbing his back.  The daughter on the right kept rubbing his back through-out the whole interview.  Is it just me, or is this weird??

• Love 1

On a less serious note, why does Hoda kick her legs up, one at a time like a horse, when she's standing on the plaza? It's like she's uncomfortable standing and she just looks...awkward. Maybe she's sat too long alongside Kathie Lee.

It's funny, the weird things that annoy. It always bugs me that when Hoda listens to music she always closes her eyes & rocks her head back & forth. If it's fast music she always crosses her arms & snaps her fingers. But still with the eyes closed & head rocking.

I'm seeing this more & more on TV.  People rubbing someone's back while they are trying to "deal".  Personally, if I was barely holding it together, the last thing I want is someone rubbing my back.  Just sayin'.

I have noticed that, too.  I would hate it.  Put your hand on me, if you must,  but don't move it around.   

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

No one has mentioned this but there was a story on Saturday's show talking about designer sweat pants. Seriously?  $200 for sweat pants?  I can't remember the anchor' s name who modeled them wearing a jacket and tie but it looked stupid. Who knew Captain Sweatpants from Big Bang Theory has been in style all the these years. 

I saw the sweatpants segment and they looked truly stupid on the men.  They even talked about some designs for work attire.  I can't imagine someone coming to work in a jacket and those stupid sweatpants.  If he's not fired, the coworkers should just laugh him out of the office.

• Love 2

I've said this before, but I really dislike the Friday Fishbowl where they read questions about themselves & answer them. Since when did reporting the news mean that you become the news? What a waste of airtime that could be used doing a story on any one else. Every city & town has an interesting story & interesting characters! Much better than finding out if Al would rather eat 5 sticks of butter or 5 spoons of hot pepper...

Edited by Mrsjumbo
  • Love 4

I haven't watched Today in quite some time, though I am only home for the first half hour anyway. I gave it another chance this week, letting my local NBC news run right into the Today show. According to the first 5 minutes, the top news stories this week are the Baltimore riots, Nick Wallenda walking on a goddamn ferris wheel in Orlando (a Today exclusive!), the Nepal earthquake, and an exclusive! Matt Lauer interview with Kim Kardashian. I will go back to shutting my TV off after the local news ends.

• Love 4

I now watch the CBS morning show with Gayle and Charlie.  I like it.  I do a drive by here to see what is up since used to watch it from Jane Pauley until about a couple of months ago.  I have a morbid interest it checking it out from time to time.  

• Love 3

There are other movies from that year that they could be spending all this time on - Home Alone, Ghost, Goodfellas, Reversal of Fortune, Dances with Wolves, Misery.

To be fair, they are make a big deal about Goodfellas this week.  Though, not as big a deal as the Pretty Woman week....and so far, no dressing up as movie characters so far.

Edited by M. Darcy

To be fair, they are make a big deal about Goodfellas this week.  Though, not as big a deal as the Pretty Woman week....and so far, no dressing up as movie characters so far.

If they did, it would be neat if someone showed up as Billy Batts wrapped up in a rug.

• Love 4

What started all that ridiculousness?

My own theory? When Katie left in 2006. It was all downhill from there. Her journalist cred kept the show from turning into Access Hollywood A.M. I like Matt Lauer, but he's a lightweight. I can't see him doing hard news because he doesn't have the chops. There was a time when Bryant and Katie would interview world leaders and Gene Shalit was the one talking to Demi Moore about her latest movie. The show has just devolved over the past 2 decades. When a Kim Kardashian interview is airing in the first hour of the show, it shouldn't be allowed to call itself a news program.

Edited by Lakewood27
  • Love 4

For the love of all that is holy, they need to put a STOP to this prank war between Matt and Ellen. It is soooooo stupid!

What started all this hoopla?  The minute I see Ellen's mug I switch the channel.  Not that I dislike Ellen, but I don't tune into a "News" show for pranks...

What started all this hoopla?  The minute I see Ellen's mug I switch the channel.  Not that I dislike Ellen, but I don't tune into a "News" show for pranks...

Their endless, wall-to-wall promotion of Fifty Shades of Grey started this whole mess. Matt was interviewing the stars of the movie, so Ellen took the opportunity to superimpose some dude wearing S&M gear onto Matt's body. It wasn't funny then and the subsequent stupidity isn't funny now.

Edited by Lakewood27
  • Love 3

Today has never really been news to me, not that I can remember.  The biggest change is that they gloss over breaking news now.  They used to devote the entire two hours to whatever disaster or tragedy in the news, now they talk about it for maybe 15 minutes, if we're lucky, and then they're back to the promo and silliness.  The worst was GMA after the Moore, OK tornado when they wouldn't let their promo for their partnership with Yahoo get in the way of the news.

I don't want serious news from these shows, I want a better balance and a better show from Today (and GMA, but they lost me when they promoted Lara Spencer).  CBS is fine, but they're not the first name I think of when I feel like getting something more serious and straightforward, I have BBC World News and the internet for that.

• Love 2

I switched to CBS and I love it.  The perfect morning show.  They touch the hard news and lighter stuff.  A good mix.  If you want a morning show with hard news that is what CNN and HLN is for.  None of the morning shows are in competition with that and don't aim to be.  Their viewers want a lighter touch first thing and want a quick overview of what is going on in the world, locally in the US and entertainment buzz if there is something note worthy.  

• Love 2

I switched to CBS and I love it.  The perfect morning show.  They touch the hard news and lighter stuff.  A good mix.  If you want a morning show with hard news that is what CNN and HLN is for.  None of the morning shows are in competition with that and don't aim to be.  Their viewers want a lighter touch first thing and want a quick overview of what is going on in the world, locally in the US and entertainment buzz if there is something note worthy.  

.... & don't forget some really good belly-laughs!!!  Those three really break up sometimes & you can't help but join in.  LOL.

• Love 3

If you want a morning show with hard news that is what CNN and HLN is for.

lol Robin Meade is not reading anything harder edged than what Today or GMA does in the mornings.  HLN as a whole hasn't covered much resembling "hard news," IMO, since they ditched their 24/7 headlines every 15 minutes format.

I like CBS, but it's not even my second choice to turn to when Today gets too stupid.  I just want my show(s) of choice to be and do better.

• Love 2

I don't know if Bruce Jenner is the only one transitioning. Did you see Richie Sambora at Churchill Downs with Dylan? Although it was a chain necklace it really looked like he was wearing earrings & pearls, & the haircut & that leapord print jacket...yikes!

I was just going to post the same thing about Savannah and her mom in Australia. Why?? She was born there because her dad's job transferred them. They moved to Arizona when she was two! Neither she nor her mom have been back since. She has no Australian roots or family legacy there. It is obviously just a paid vacation for Savannah and her mom for Mother's Day. Gag.

• Love 2

I'm sure Savannah's mom is a very nice woman. But I don't care to share their journey back to Australia. Maybe it's best that these hosts keep it professional and their personal lives personal. If their goal was for me to like Savannah, epic fail. I'm more irritated by her.

• Love 3

What's all this with Savannah in Australia? I don't like her to begin with.

STOP TRYING TO MAKE FETCH HAPPEN!

I was just going to post the same thing about Savannah and her mom in Australia. Why?? She was born there because her dad's job transferred them. They moved to Arizona when she was two! Neither she nor her mom have been back since. She has no Australian roots or family legacy there. It is obviously just a paid vacation for Savannah and her mom for Mother's Day. Gag.

I'm sure Savannah's mom is a very nice woman. But I don't care to share their journey back to Australia. Maybe it's best that these hosts keep it professional and their personal lives personal. If their goal was for me to like Savannah, epic fail. I'm more irritated by her.

I came here to post the same thing! Why are we supposed to care where Savannah was born, & why did the Today show foot the bill?

Because it's a ratings period and it's cheaper than another round of "Where in the World is Matt Lauer?".  Just sayin'.

• Love 3
Because it's a ratings period and it's cheaper than another round of "Where in the World is Matt Lauer?".  Just sayin'.

Yeah but Savannah?  Savannah is about as dull as dishwater and having her mother there doesn't help.  Nothing Savannah does will increase the ratings.

• Love 1

Why are they only showcasing the women with their mothers?  Why not the men?

I don't know about Matt's Mom, but Al said this morning that his mother had passed away (and that he missed her). 

I am sure all their Moms are lovely people but I really don't care to see them on the show.  I really don't care about their personal lives. Heh, except Matt's because he seems to have a bit of scandal in his. 

I don't know about Matt's Mom, but Al said this morning that his mother had passed away (and that he missed her).

Savannah's mom passed away, too, but she did her segment.  It's weird because they're doing the same "I love my mom" thing on my local NBC station, and again they're only doing it with the female anchors.  It's just strange. 

However, I agree that it's TMI and I really don't care about them and their moms.

I am officially against childhood poverty - and poverty for anyone, actually -- and I don't even watch this show, but enough of beating this freakin' Red Nose Day thing into the ground.  Lauer was on my 6am news today talking about his butt hurting. It's hard enough to get up in the morning, but with stuff like that to look forward to, I'm really tempted to just roll over and go back to sleep. 

• Love 3

Ok guys, been noticing that this thread has been getting a little heated recently. And the most recent comment about Savannah's mother is toeing really close to the warning line.

Let's keep any really personal comments out of it. That means no talking about any of the anchor's families in a derogatory manner.

Thank you.

• Love 1