Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Things That Go Bang In The Night

• Start Topic

Brandon's trying to convince Val not to go back to Buffalo, so why is he looking at her like she just left him an upper decker?

Hah!

Brandon's near MC Hammer pants continue to make me laugh.

Donna really cracked that guy.

I'm surprised the Visual Aids left out one of Dylan's finest moments.  Pointing a gun at those trick or treaters.  Wasn't one of them Ray's cousin that you never see again?

• Love 1

My dad shared Sarah's aversion to milk, and used to eat his muesli with orange juice. As a kid, I didn't realise that was not common, but still wasn't ever tempted to try it.

Edited by helent

I love that they dressed Kelly as a pink princess.  They couldn't be more on the nose than that.

I remember Val talking about Curt and Susie, who I assume were meant to be her younger brother and sister (who never get referenced again), but I never remembered which episode it was.  Now I know.  I have an old lady name that was the bane of my existence when I was little so I feel bad for little fictional Curt who was probably surrounded by kids with age appropriate names.

I do think it's hilarious that Donna tells Ray "I won't have sex with you until I'm married" which sounds like she intends to cheat on her future husband.  I know what she means but the phrasing is just too funny.

• Love 3

The Andrea Freaks Out About Religion story makes me think of two things: Jon Stewart and Rachel from second grade.  Jon tells a joke about how he's Jewish, Tracy is Catholic and they're raising their kids to be sad.  Rachel from second grade had a Jewish mother and Protestant father and was being raised to understand both religions.  Her parents wanted her to be informed when she made her decision as to religion.  She chose Judaism eventually and was informed when she did.  And her Protestant dad was beaming with pride at her bat miztvah.

Also?  Hannah's about five months old, Andrea, she doesn't know one damn thing about religion, nor does she care, so none of this is a big deal right now.  Take her to temple if you want, think about how you'll one day answer her when she does start asking questions, and get over yourself.  And divorce Jesse while you're at it.  You two are wearing Dylan's and Kelly's old Worst Couple Ever crowns nicely but it's not something to aspire to.

Sarah singing "kill yourself" in the background of Dylan telling Brandon what's what was everything.  I think it could be argued that Brenda left to get away from Brandon in her own way.  She didn't hate him or anything but the overwhelming adoration from their parents bothered her and so she left to pursue her passion and not be around that all the time.

• Love 3

Everyone sucks in this storyline especially Brandon. Brandon has always been intimidated by Dylan's money and the fact that Dylan could really get any girl he wanted. I think Brandon likes drunk, broke Dylan. He likes that Dylan is broke and he's dating his ex that Dylan wants back. Now Dylan isn't competition. Brandon is a complete jerk to Dylan when he needs his friends the most. All of them suck to be honest.

• Love 9

I thought Curt and Susie were cats. 

Everyone sucks this episode. Shut up Brandon, Shut up Dylan, Shut up Ray, Shut up Griffin, Shut up Kelly, Jesse and Andrea and Shut up Donna. Just let them be all abducted by aliens and you can have a show with David, Steve, Claire and Val. 

Ray's "I thought we were passed that" was a massive red flag like the knife, the pumpkins and so on. 

Just one thing to add. I think doing it in the desert is a lot better than a party. Camping ftw.

• Love 3

Wait. Milk is gross, but milk solids fermented with bacteria is OK? I don't expect anyone to explain their weird irrational food issues, but that took me a bit by surprise. Side note: If this somehow shifted into being a podcast where Sarah, Tara and Dave just discussed their weird irrational food issues, I would still be on board (though I might take a pass on the visual aids).

• Love 1
13 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I think it could be argued that Brenda left to get away from Brandon in her own way.  She didn't hate him or anything but the overwhelming adoration from their parents bothered her and so she left to pursue her passion and not be around that all the time.

She was the only character who knew that she needed to leave her comfort zone. She was the strongest one being that she tried new schools, boyfriends outside the Peach Pit, felony offenses?.. Even if they didn't work for her, she still pursued a more interesting path. Not long after realizing that she couldn't get over Dylan...she fucking split! 

• Love 4

I'm with Sarah on milk is gross, but I don't mind it in coffee or on serial. I do howevee feel deeply suspiscious of any grown up who drinks milk. And the most disgusting commercial of all times is oreos being dipped in milk. Yuck. Almost as disgusting as Brandon.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Tara Ariano said:

I swear she said Pert, not Curt. I've watched it three more times here and I still think it sounds like Pert!

Yes, I did, too! Heard it when I watched the ep and also on the podcast. Then I got distracted thinking what kind of name is Pert for a kid? Perd? Perd Hapley...?

• Love 1

12 points goes to Ray who clearly doesn't give a shit about the reputation of KEG house - does Griffin really think that Ray and his buddies discuss KEG over a beer on Friday afternoon or whatever? In spite of all the reds flags raised by Ray's behaviour, I'd take him anyday if it meant that I wouldn't have to put up with the other snobs on this show. God.

• Love 5

I also hate milk and always have. The texture and taste are disgusting. The only thing I can eat on cereal is Blue Diamond 'hint of honey' almond milk and I just use a bit. My great grandfather apparently exclusively used apple juice on his. (Aside: fuck you, Apple, for autocorrecting 'apple' to 'Apple' on my iPad.)

Brandon really is the worst. I've never seen most of these non-Brenda episodes...my childhood self didn't want 'Kelly Kapowski' on BH,90210 so I quit watching. I'm actually liking Val the most. I never watched the reruns of these since and I wasn't sure I'd still love the podcast but, I definitely do. Plus, learning stuff such as whatever the hell that game was Dave mentioned.

9 hours ago, Nanna said:

I'm with Sarah on milk is gross, but I don't mind it in coffee or on serial. I do howevee feel deeply suspiscious of any grown up who drinks milk. And the most disgusting commercial of all times is oreos being dipped in milk. Yuck. Almost as disgusting as Brandon.

I literally drink mink by the pint, and sometimes I go through a half gallon in a day. A dexa scan reveals my bones are off the charts hard, so I feel pretty good about my choices. It helps that the only beverages we had regularly when I was growing up were milk and water. 

• Love 1

Um, I hate to break it to you Ooooohndrea, but A: according to Jewish law, you're not "really" Jewish either. Didn't we have to hear about Grandma Rose c. Lainie Kazan disapproving of Andrea's mother because she wasn't Jewish? So that meant it was Andrea's Dad who was Jewish, not her Mom. And B: if you are the child of an interfaith couple, why are you having such a fucking hard time dealing with the concept of being in one with Hannah? UGH. This show.

• Love 6

It seems that Ohndrea really ramped up the Jewishness once she went to college... like with her Star of David at the sorority.  She seemed to have a wonderful "Can't we all get along" vibe with Grandma Rose during the "please pretend I live here" story.

Also, wasn't Ohndrea like best friends with so many Latino maids on the bus?  You'd think she'd know all about the various customs, just because she's a know-it-all.  She's just intolerable... this is Jesse's kid too.  Why can't she be exposed to various faiths? 

I heard Pert and Suzy too... but if it's Curt and Suzy maybe they are living with Ohndrea's missing older sister. 

• Love 2

Since we are on the milk topic, add me to someone who is not on Team Milk (Dave- I think a twitter poll is needed).  When I lived on my own, I used to buy those baby milk pints just to put a little in my cereal an it would still GO BAD! I didn't know about alternative milks.  Now, I am pro-coconut or almond milk.  I'll do soy in a pinch.  However, I'm a huge fan of cheese and yogurt.  I am not a milk-ist, as I do buy (get this) freaking WHOLE milk for my sons.  They aren't huge drinkers but we do finish a gallon a week or so.

It's a sad testament to the crappiness of this episode that the more lively conversation on this thread is milk consumption versus the Halloween drama of the gang.  This episode was never one I angled to rewatch and I've rewatched many, many episodes in my day.

Edited by Earmuffs Mom
  • Love 3

Also, wasn't Ohndrea like best friends with so many Latino maids on the bus?  You'd think she'd know all about the various customs, just because she's a know-it-all.  She's just intolerable... this is Jesse's kid too.  Why can't she be exposed to various faiths? 

Oh yea!!! I forgot about that. Good point. And wasn't she basically fluent in Spanish? Why is she acting like Mexican-Americans being - shock! - catholic is such a big damn deal? Apparently, her parents let her choose her faith, why can't she just let Hannah do the same? 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, AndySmith said:

Because, no dramaz that way!

They really should have rejected GC's plea to have Andrea be pregnant.

I know we've talked about this, but this is the WORST! I'm glad that when Garth was preggo they just hid it because it didn't make sense in the story (even though they did give her a pregnancy scare).  I know there is no real drama with this, but it would have been fun to see Brandon and Ohndrea together, with maybe some triangle action from Kelly or even Steve.  Except for that pep talk about diving in the deep end naked, it seemed that all the guys sort of looked at Ohndrea like she was a sexless gal.

• Love 2

I'm really curious/confused about the timeline of GC pregnancy, and when they made the decision to write it into the show.  Because at the end of the S3, she was still wavering about whether or not to go to Yale.  If she knew she was pregnant then, but wanted to remain on the show after having a baby, they should have just sent her off to Yale, had her do a few random scenes of how homesick she was, phone conversations with Brandon, whatever, and then she could have dropped out/transferred.  But she must not have found out about the baby until after filming on S4 began.  Her relationship with Dan, breakup and then relationship with Jesse was sooo shoehorned in. 

Or maybe an adoption storyline could have been the way to go -- I could see her making that decision, in order to give the baby a better life. 

• Love 1

But, isn't Andrea's mother not Jewish? Wasn't that what the whole family rift was about during the Andrea moves in with Grandma Rose episode? So is Andrea Jewish by her own logic? And do I care? No, I don't. Stupid baby. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, FozzyBear said:

But, isn't Andrea's mother not Jewish? Wasn't that what the whole family rift was about during the Andrea moves in with Grandma Rose episode? So is Andrea Jewish by her own logic? And do I care? No, I don't. Stupid baby. 

Exactly! And Ohndrea even talked to Grandma Rose about this, begging her to let it go or something like that.  I feel like Ohndrea re-upped her "Jewishness" once she went to CU.  Granted, this is all contrivance for the show, but I've known a few families who have mixed religious (usually Catholic and something else) and most tend to be fine with both religions and often just want their child to hit the various religious high points (ie baptism, first communion).  Is floppy haired red-headed doctor Jewish?

• Love 2