Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

In the black eye case, the plaintiff had already been found not guilty, why in the hell would JJ rule that she was responsible for assaulting the defendant, when a prior trial had already said she wasn't?

She was found "not guilty" in a criminal trial, which means only that the prosecution didn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she did it.  That's higher than the civil standard of proof, and JJ believed she did actually do it.  So do I.

• Love 3

Bed bug infeststions, from what I understand, don't necessarily mean someone is dirty. They are easily transported; you can get them from a hotel, movie theater seat, library, etc., and bring them home with you. Once you get them, it is very difficult to eradicate them. I did agree with her ruling. The landlord provided what was required by the lease.

I disagree with her ruling about the plane tickets. Once again, JJ shows that how she rules is largely influenced by whether or not she likes a litigant and whether or not she has had her sushi for lunch. I've seen lots of cases like this on the show, but there doesn't seem to be consistenct in how she rules on them.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 4

I didn't see the end, did he have to pay?

Bedbugs are easily transported like teebax said and heat is really the best way to get rid of them. It has little do with being clean/dirty. (I watch too much Hotel Impossible)

• Love 3

In the event of a disaster (fire, flood, etc), the ARC generally provides for immediate needs for a couple of days (food, shelter, clothing, medications) for those without. Many people have insurance, or family to stay with, or only the bedrooms were damaged, so they don't need food, etc. It's not a lot of money, and each case is different. Sometimes, they are able to also help with relocation and may provide a little more help, for something like a security deposit. It's hard to come up with the cash for deposit, rent, and replacing everything you own on a day or two's notice. I never saw a case where that came into play, though. Most of the cases I worked were for only a few hundred dollars. The goal is to help clients figure out and execute their own plan forward, but give them a day or two's respite to do that. It's not insurance, though several of my clients seemed to think so. Those needing long-term assistance are referred to other agencies (United Way, etc.) In this case, it could have been the couple lost their home, and needed the cash to get into a new one. I think it looked like the check was for $300, so again, not a lot. We had a few scammers/cretins, or course, just like in all other aspects of life. Generally, it was very rewarding, and there were times where I wanted to run back and just stuff money from my purse into the client's hands.

Exactly!!  Some of the litigants we see on JJ are indeed scammers, however; I feel most of the people needing/receiving assistance aren't.  They are in need at a particular time in their lives not for life.

Edited by momtoall

Bed bug infeststions, from what I understand, don't necessarily mean someone is dirty.

Exactly. Even having cockroaches doesn't mean someone is a pig. I was once trying on clothes in a store dressing room and when I was putting my jacket back on I saw in the mirror a cockroach race up and into my pocket! WIthout the mirrors I wouldn't have known and would have brought it home. Eek.

This is why no one should ever  - these days - buy used mattresses or upholstered furniture. The money saved is a joke compared to trying to eradicate bedbugs.

Was trying to think of who 66 year old Mr. Anela(?) reminded me of, and it's Boris Karloff in the "The Mummy". I am not trying to be hateful. I was just shocked.

• Love 3

In the plane ticket case, did the defendant really say he was only 66 years old? Good lord, I am only a year or so under that but I was ready to swear that he was on the wrong side of 80. Other than that, I agree the case was boring, but I would like to have heard more about the son's illness, the miraculous recovery struck me as odd.

The father did look terrible. He kept on saying that he thought his son was going to die. Was that the only reason he went and for the plane fare to get him there. If the son wasn't dying then he wouldn't have gone just to see him in the hospital. I would bet this sad sack had money for whatever vice he had because he has aged horribly and I can think of a few things that would do that. 

• Love 3

But she said she hadn't used checks since 2011.  She didn't say she had no bank account.  I interpreted that to mean she uses cards, and that she might not have known she could pay property taxes on-line.  Do all counties have an on-line option?  I suppose they do.  You're probably right.

It depends on where you live.  I do not pay to the county, I pay to my town and every town in the State of NJ might have a different system for payment. My town recently got an online option for free.  Before that, you had to do it by credit card and there was a fee.  I could have my bank  mail a check as another poster does, but these towns aren't always weren't the most well organized or efficient group of people;   it they got a check from a bank without the accompanying payment stub, they might hold the check until somebody figured out what to do with it.  Had a friend  a few towns over who was billed for a late fee and when she got to the office and explained several times that a check was cut and sent, someone found the check.  So I could see someone in that town paying most bills online but property taxes in cash.

• Love 1
Bed Bug gal really did have the facial expressions, didn't she?!

Shutupshutupshutup.  Haven't you watched any JJ cases before you came on the show? Don't chew gum, don't ever drink the water, and DONT EVER INTERRUPT.  Stupid fool.  Instead of flapping her jaw she should have spent time kissing her very fine looking man, whose name(?) sounded like it was a sure thing for another case of the APOSTROPHES, but when it was on the screen it wasn't.

My BF's 90 year old mother got bed bugs, no idea where because she only goes to the doctor's office. $2,500.00 to eradicate them and her daughter also got them.  When my BF would go see her if was like a scene in a space capsule where you have to prepare yourself in the airlock before you go out into space.  He would see her, then take off all clothes and shoes in her foyer, go out to his car  in clean clothes and shoes, then when returning home, strip down in the garage into a 3rd pair of clothes and shoes, running to the laundry room to boil all clothes in hot water.  Nightmare time.

Is it bad that I laughed hysterically during the announcers intro about the dying son and plane fare case?  The Announcer  is like, "She says (close up shot of Mother) that she loaned her ex-husband (close-up shot of 150 year old Dad) plane fare to see their dead son (Closeup shot of dead son who is not a corpse but is  in the studio)  I don't know I thought it was hysterical.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 7

Shutupshutupshutup.

Oh, her smirky, contemptuous "Everybody is stupid but me" looks had me wishing mightily that Byrd would (as he's done once before) say, "Excuse me, judge," and saunter over to slap the smart-alec off that squatter bitch's face. Okay, he didn't slap anyone last time, but I can dream.

Bedbugs:

Nightmare time.

Yep, yep. I don't even want to stay in a hotel anymore.

• Love 4

Bed bug infeststions, from what I understand, don't necessarily mean someone is dirty.

We had a rental home where the tenant were there 4 years. At the end of the 4th year they called telling us they had a bed bug problem.  I totally freaked out because I watched that exterminator show that was on years ago and they had a bed bug case that was not just a infestation it was a BB apocalypse!   We went over to inspect (I would not walk on any of the carpeting in bedrooms) and they were not exactly nasty but they had a lot of stuff in the house and cleaning was not on the top of their list of things to do on the weekend.  Anyhow the husband had pulled carpet away from walls, removed face plates to outlets and cut holes in the bedroom walls trying to find the bed bugs.  I asked if they thought to look, oh I don't know.....at the BED.  The wife said yes and the sides for the mattress they are SLEEPING on was black with the bb fecal matter.  I about lost my cookies right there.  Then they tried to tell us they had been battling the bed bugs for awhile, trying to say that the bb were there when they first moved in.  Um yeah right. 

Needless to say we did not extend lease and had them move out and had the entire house emptied and exterminated.  It cost $1100.  We had the home renovated and updated and sold it within 2 weeks of listing.  The contractor would not go into the house until it was exterminated and I told him I wouldn't either.

And yeah that first visit was a strip down before coming into my house.  I did find out that bb do not jump on you like fleas (thank goodness) that you have to be still for an hour to two before they crawl (shiver) on you and bite you. 

Oh and if I ever plan a trip where I am staying at a hotel I look that hotel up on the web site for hotels with Bed Bugs complaints and book accordingly.

I have to wash my hands now this totally creeps me out,

• Love 2

Our condo building recently was visited by the Bed Bug Invasion.  They haven't reached my unit . . . yet.  Our city (Chicago) has an ordinance covering bed bugs specifically, so it is a problem.

On a cheerier note (!) I thought the Not-Dead! son in the Airfare for Methuselah case looked, unfortunately, an awful lot like Alton Brown.

• Love 3

I am watching a rerun that aired this morning. The defendant said her ex would "begrade" her. I had to rewind to make sure I heard her correctly. That's another entry for our JJ dictionary. Do we have a forum for that yet?

• Love 4

son in the Airfare for Methuselah case looked, unfortunately, an awful lot like Alton Brown.

Love child of Alton Brown and PeeWee Herman?

That's another entry for our JJ dictionary. Do we have a forum for that yet?

Ooh! I still have the dictionary. If someone wants to start a forum, I'll add to it and link it.

• Love 1

I guess we already had a dictionary.

Not really. This one can be a straight dictionary - a list to check if you hear some ungodly utterance and need to know its meaning. It can be added to by copy/paste and as soon as I get the one I have into alphebetical order I'll post it.

Call me immature, but I couldn't give a fuck that some guy had a flag that's been used to antagonize and terrorize people for decades torn off his truck.  The show shouldn't have touched this case at all IMO but I guess since the defendants were so entertainingly stupid, it was hard to pass up. 

It's not immature at all.  I also give zero fucks that he had his flag ripped off his truck and pissed on.  It would have even been better for that trash to have been pissed on.  I also don't care that he was calm in court. The fact that he boldly antagonizes others with a symbol of hate revealed how disgusting he and his ilk are.

• Love 5

I saw the repeat with Officer Kang, who was wrongly and stupidly accused of calling a stupid motorist stupid. I'm glad he was vindicated, although the stupid defendant still stupidly showed no remorse, and was still blathering stupidly in the hallterview.  Even Judge Judy called him stupid. Yea for Officer Kang!

Was he the one who said at the very end" I'm an immigrant and I became a police officer t thank the country for all it had given me"? That made me tear up.

• Love 4

I also give zero fucks that he had his flag ripped off his truck and pissed on.

Maybe someone should piss on my Canadian flag too. It's a symbol of hatred, cruelty, betrayal and actual genocide of native people. Maybe a lot of flags should be pissed on then.

• Love 4

That was quick: Little darling, with her mommy, owes $4800 to a bail bondsman - she got a $65K bail charge for having a "totally didn't know it was stolen" computer in her car. Says she made a deal with the bemused bail bondsman to "go on a date" instead of paying him back. JJ says "what you're suggesting is a social favor in exchange for money. That's prostitution"

She shrugs. "Pretty much"

JJ: "Judgement for the plaintiff."

Meanwhile the bondsman has this look like "yeah, right. I have a business to run here, try something original, sweetheart - like paying".

• Love 2

Has anyone else noticed that during the opening credits, the announcer no longer says, "The cases are REAL! The people are REAL!"?  I'm assuming that a lot of these cases are now either manufactured or embellished beyond belief. For shame, Judith Sheindlin!

ETA: OK. I'm plowing through the Bed Bug case and, right after the first commercial break, the announcer did say "the cases are real..." So...NEVER MIND!

Edited by Guest

Welcome to Shelly.odo! Have you gotten your tax return? Do you comingle your money with your partner/babydaddy/momma? Has someone borrowed you money lately? (or was it a gift?!)  Have you boughten something on craigslist lately you care to share? Had any kerfuffles with roommates you found through your cousin's best friend's brother's stepmother? How's your pitbull?  Does he climb under/leap over/apperate through fences?  You can't just creep in and say hi! and creep back out! Honestly.  Tell us all!!  We are dying to know!  ;-)

Haha thanks for the welcome guys and girls!

I'm just watching a recorded ep of Judy with my mum.

I'm in Australia so I think we're a few months behind you guys. Do you all watch the same episodes and chat about them, or just about cases in general?

• Love 3

I'm in Australia so I think we're a few months behind you guys. Do you all watch the same episodes and chat about them, or just about cases in general?

Both.  Interesting new cases are discussed, and many of us are then treated to an old episode after the new ones have aired.  On top of that, the cases of the day often remind us of older cases, so we rehash those again.

And sometimes we are so bored someone just brings up an old case so we can play a game of "Remember That Case..."

• Love 2

Or when they just make eye contact and try and see who can NOT smile or shake their head first! You can practically read their minds: "Not sure THIS is worth the $$."

Be sure to check out the other threads. If you haven't checked the lexicon, you need to. Beyond hysterical!

• Love 4

In the black eye case, the plaintiff had already been found not guilty, why in the hell would JJ rule that she was responsible for assaulting the defendant, when a prior trial had already said she wasn't?

I didn't see the case, but the burden of proof for a civil case (preponderance of evidence in an actual civil court; enough proof to satisfy Her Honor in a Judge Judy case) is far less than for a criminal case (guilty beyond a reasonable doubt). The salient example in point that is frequently used is that O.J. was found not guilty for the deaths of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman in criminal court, but then was found civilly liable for both of their deaths.

• Love 1

You are correct though about the announcer not saying the usual Cases are real the people are real the rulings are final, I just can't tell you if it is for new episodes or old episodes that it happens.

??? Y'all think these cases are made up? As in made up by writers? (not made up by the litigants, that's a given lol). You don't think these people are real (well, unreal, but certainly not actors). There is no way in heaven somebody made up the memorable Patricia Bean. Are we thinking JJ staff called up Central Casting and said "good morning, can you send us a few methheads and trailer-ish folks, some people with lots of jewelry but no common sense, some overly tattooed ex-cons and fill in the rest with dingleberries without the sense God gave a billy goat?

• Love 5

During the pregnant cow episode, JJ was waving her hands and I noticed a dark shape on the back on her right wrist.  At first I thought it was a really bad bruise but it looks like maybe JJ got herself a tattoo.  Oooh, sexy.

Jeeze, Myra Hazlett likes to hear herself talk; I was surprised the JJ let her ramble on at length.  I learned too much about cow reproduction.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the cow episode: Myra was pretty entertaining.  I believed every word she said, unlike the sleazebag cow-seller.  How you gonna prove a negative, stupid?  "She didn't have any proof the cow WASN'T pregnant!".  GAH!

• Love 8

Just a guess, but maybe she's on blood thinner? I remember she had a mini-stroke several years ago. My mom was on Plavix for years and she would bruise at just the slightest bump. Her poor little hands and arms were covered in bruises.

I felt so sorry for the plaintiff's original cow. What a strange thing to happen to it! I thought the Plaintiff should have also been reimbursed for feeding the cow after the Defendant refused to take it back. What was she going to do...abandon it on his land?

• Love 12

I felt so sorry for the plaintiff's original cow. What a strange thing to happen to it! I thought the Plaintiff should have also been reimbursed for feeding the cow after the Defendant refused to take it back. What was she going to do...abandon it on his land?

I thought so too, but JJ was starting to get fed up with Myra.  "You can't tell me that."  "I just told you!"  

Or maybe there's nothing in the law that JJ could use to justify reimbursing her.

• Love 5

Are we thinking JJ staff called up Central Casting and said "good morning, can you send us a few methheads and trailer-ish folks, some people with lots of jewelry but no common sense, some overly tattooed ex-cons and fill in the rest with dingleberries without the sense God gave a billy goat?

As much as I would watch the HELL out of that also, I think that for the 20th-anniversary season they just trimmed the credits so we could get a few seconds more of our Recommended Daily Judy. Those "the cases are REAL!" shots in that credit sequence were either a decade old, or shot on a different (earlier?) faux-courtroom set that looked nothing like the current one, while JJ gesticulated madly. Those seemed the only "fake" part, in fact. :)

• Love 5

I too wonder why the feed was not re-imbursed.

Because JJ reached her limit of giving a shit about the not pregnant cow. 

Was the plaintiff out the money?  Sure, but JJ had already made her decision and wasn't going to be made to look foolish by going back and ruling on that issue.  Better to angrily tell the plaintiff that she doesn't care.

Or maybe there's nothing in the law that JJ could use to justify reimbursing her.

Of course there is.  Plaintiff wouldn't take the cow back in five days, so plaintiff had no choice but to care for the cow.  Defendant created the expense by his action.  Plaintiff should have recovered, as the deal has now been rescinded by the Judge and she is out the money she spent due to defendant's action.  That is certainly part of her damages.  Plaintiff behaved reasonably throughout.  Different if she were keeping the cow, but the cow goes back to the defendant with the money going back to the plaintiff.  If she kept the cow, plaintiff would have been caring for her own cow.  Here she was taking care of the defendant's cow due to his refusal to take it back.

I was confused as to why Judge Judy though the lady waited until October to return the cow.  What was that all about?

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 10

Has anyone else noticed that during the opening credits, the announcer no longer says, "The cases are REAL! The people are REAL!"? I'm assuming that a lot of these cases are now either manufactured or embellished beyond belief. For shame, Judith Sheindlin!

ETA: OK. I'm plowing through the Bed Bug case and, right after the first commercial break, the announcer did say "the cases are real..." So...NEVER MIND!

My guide descriptions are wrongly matched to each episode each day so I never know when I look at the guide if it is really a new episode or an old episode. You are correct though about the announcer not saying the usual Cases are real the people are real the rulings are final, I just can't tell you if it is for new episodes or old episodes that it happens. Because like you, I get both versions of the announcer each day, four episodes.

The intro was changed expressly for this newest season -- the show's 20th Anniversary season. The intro-change has bothered me since its debut in September 2015 and made me suspicious of some of the principals we've seen.

The cow lady plaintiff was interesting today, but, man, really long-winded. She had a story to tell and dammit she would not be detoured. She's the type of litigant that JJ usually cuts off fast with an "I dont care!....Just answer my question!" But cow lady was interesting to us city people who have no clue of how Mooovalous calving and freshening can be. So JJ gave her free rein.

Alas, in keeping with no good deed goes unpunished, cow lady was later a bit disrespectful of JJs authority. Harumph. Meanwhile, I thought the defendant's excuses and rationales were comedy gold. :)

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 6

She's the type of litigant that JJ usually cuts off fast

Plaintiff got away with hearsay.  She started telling what the vet said about the first cow's injury and JJ tried to cut her off by saying don't tell me what he said.  Plaintiff: I just did!  Ha!

But then JJ allowed her to tell her what the vet said anyway because it was interesting. 

There are exceptions to the hearsay rule.  Evidence offered not for its truth but to show its effect on the person who heard the statement is such an exception.  The vet's statements about the other cow were not proof of anything but the plaintiff's reason for buying the second cow.  The vet's diagnosis of cow one is not hearsay even though JJ's alarms go off whenever anyone says someone told them something, even if it has nothing to do with the actual matter being proven.  Hearsay would have been the vet's diagnosis of the cow not being pregnant due to the bull having sex with her. That is using hearsay to prove the cow was not pregnant and the doctor would need to appear in court to testify and be examined.

JJ needs to relax the hearsay admonition in order to allow parties to tell coherent stories.  Just saying someone told me doesn't make it true for her to believe but does often explain actions and make what people do next, make sense.  Attorneys know how to get out of court statements in when hearsay objections are made, but lay people don't.  Judge Judy should allow more things in just to make actions make sense like Judge Milan.  I think Judge Judy just likes making things difficult.

The second episode Judge Judy was annoyed at the plaintiff for not keeping his text messages for two months.  She was saying that even she, who is not tech savvy, keeps her messages. She acted like it would be craziness to delete texts.  Again, if you don't behave like Judge Judy, you must be wrong and are most certainly lying.  I don't like clutter and don't keep text threads.  There is a delete button for a reason, IMO.  I actually think it weird when people save every text message they ever got or sent ready to show the judge.  But at least I know my behavior is not typical and don't think the world should behave like me.  I try to delete emails as quickly as possible, too.  Guess I must be lying.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 5

I was thinking how fun a case would be if a litigant who understood the hearsay rule would challenge JJ on it, but then I realized JJ still wouldn't give a damn and would play her 40 years as a judge card out on them.

She should've reimbursed the cow lady for the feed. And hooray for an interesting case that taught me a little about cows.

• Love 9

I can see JJ not accepting just any old affidavit since people would have the friends say anything, but she refuses all paperwork, except police reports, as hearsay. I was watching a rerun from 2011 and she refused an incident report filled out by a convenience store worker because he wasn't there for her to question. The defendant said he was no longer at that store and they didn't know where he was any longer. The manager sent an affidavit with the incident report explaining that and that the report was filled out on the day of the assault in the parking lot. The incident report is an exception to the hearsay rule.

She also argued with the parties about there not being a police report, when the police were called and appeared. Maybe it was in the incident report she wouldn't read, but the defendant said since the plaintiff left already, the cop just trespassed him and told the store to call if the other guy came back and he would be trespassed to, and gave them a business card. She yelled, "It doesn't make sense!" because there would be a report. The business card is exactly how trespass has been handled for at least 10 years. Recently, we can't even get a police report filled out for theft because there are not enough officers. They give you a paper for the insurer saying that you claim your home/car/property was broken into and things removed, unless it involves a gun or prescription medication.

Not allowing the parties to say what they were told, which explains their actions later, is why "It doesn't make sense!" and not reading legitimate business records, including property surveys (I'll never forget that) while calling the parties liars just reflects poorly on her, and is frustrating as a viewer.

I'm another one who deletes email and texts routinely. I really don't think a lot of people keep all of them, because it would be too cumbersome to go through if you needed to later.

• Love 6

I just remembered the horrifying details about Myra Hazlett's other cow, the one with the polyp growing out of its nose, whose head swelled up because it got a branch up its nose that starting growing leaves into its brain. Imagine all this being said in a screaming, horrified voice, cause that's what I feel like. GAAAAH!

• Love 6

Loved the cow case, but is no one also excited about the tax refund case? Ex girlfriend from hell! Instead of the usual "I'll pay you when I get my refund" this was "I won't pay you when when I get your refund."

Nice dad explains how he made a mistake with the accounts. Very believable. GF telis two mutually exclusive stories. The bank said they'd take care of it and she thought she'd spend it because he owed her some amorphous amount from three years ago.