Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E01: Week 1: Premiere

• Start Topic

I don't think Robert was up there all night. I definitely saw him in the audience many times throughout the night and the guy who typically does the show was definitely there. Looks like Kym was the one commenting and Robert joined her at one point during the night.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I don't think Robert was up there all night. I definitely saw him in the audience many times throughout the night and the guy who typically does the show was definitely there. Looks like Kym was the one commenting and Robert joined her at one point during the night.

This is the first love match this show has seen aside from Peta and Maks.  I loved that Robert was there.  Why not?  It was fun to be reminded they married.  Very cool.  

• Love 12

Have to chime in on Lochte-gate. The guy did something massively stupid while drunk and then lied about it. The worst part was actually the lie, since they paid for the damages to the bathroom that night, so if he had kept his trap shut no one would have been the wiser and this story would never have existed (at least not to this degree). HOWEVER, I do think a little perspective is necessary. Brazil has serious problems, and this whole "Lochte is tarnishing our country's reputation" narrative is laughable. No, your country already had a bad reputation for reasons far more severe and important than four dumb Americans ruining a bathroom door at a gas station. It's distracting from actual, legitimate problems (very similar to what all governments do, ours included, but I digress.).

Lastly, the protesters. Talk about distracting from real issues. I totally agree with Kim Reed, if you must protest take a swipe at Rick Perry. Lochte may be a bumbling idiot but at least he is not/was not in an actual position of power. People have way too much time on their hands.

Actual dance related comments - How is Terra doing all this with just having a baby??? Love Laurie. Love that Maks is back and how flummoxed he seemed about what to do about Amber's posterior. I think Amber is absolutely beautiful. I really like Vanilla Ice and I am not even embarrassed. That's all I got:)

• Love 13
5 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

My sons are 14 and 12, and they are far more mature than Ryan Lochte. That said, I do think it's disturbing that he got attacked. While I don't want him on the show, he is already on it and that kind of crap doesn't belong on a dance show.

Ryan Lochte was not attacked.  

Two guys in T-shirts ran onto the stage. They didn't touch Lochte. They stood with their backs to him to get the slogans on their shirts on camera. Then security tackled the protestors. So if anyone was attacked, it was the protestors.

In addition four women with the similar "Liar" shirts were shown in the audience.  Here's a link to video:  http://www.etonline.com/tv/197854_ryan_lochte_protesters_storm_dwts_stage_what_viewers_didn_t_see/

I'm sure the powers that be at DWTS are drinking this up.  They put Lochte on to get ratings.  This will bring in more ratings with people tuning in next week to see what happens.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 4

Brazil has serious problems, and this whole "Lochte is tarnishing our country's reputation" narrative is laughable. No, your country already had a bad reputation for reasons far more severe and important than four dumb Americans ruining a bathroom door at a gas station.

Right, Brazil has real problems, and the last thing they needed was yet another privileged rich famous white boy to exploit those problems to feed into a racist/xenophobic narrative on an international scale. It's reductive to dismiss the incident as just four silly Americans being dumb. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 17
6 hours ago, ChocButterfly said:

And she got fit right away. I may be rooting a little for her now. 

Heh heh, I see what you did there.

I liked Ryan better with his silver hair, but I'm sure he wanted a change after recent events.  Also, I don't see why he should have opted out being a contestant.  It's not like he's got any swimming events to compete in for ten months.

"Right, Brazil has real problems, and the last thing they needed was yet another privileged rich famous white boy to exploit those problems to feed into a racist/xenophobic narrative on an international scale. It's reductive to dismiss the incident as just four silly Americans being dumb."

I think this "international incident" neither helped nor hurt Brazil's precious reputation. People are going to think what they want to think. I think the Brazilian government loved it. It is easier to deflect than to deal with actual problems. Let's just focus on the rich white dudes. My dad is Brazilian and my mom is Portuguese. It just makes me mad when governments distract their public with shiny things and so many people fall for it. Some things should be reduced and dismissed, but unfortunately those seem to be the things that get the most attention. My humble opinion.

• Love 4

"Right, Brazil has real problems, and the last thing they needed was yet another privileged rich famous white boy to exploit those problems to feed into a racist/xenophobic narrative on an international scale. It's reductive to dismiss the incident as just four silly Americans being dumb."

I think this "international incident" neither helped nor hurt Brazil's precious reputation. People are going to think what they want to think. I think the Brazilian government loved it. It is easier to deflect than to deal with actual problems. Let's just focus on the rich white dudes. My dad is Brazilian and my mom is Portuguese. It just makes me mad when governments distract their public with shiny things and so many people fall for it. Some things should be reduced and dismissed, but unfortunately those seem to be the things that get the most attention. My humble opinion.

sorry I can't do the quote thingie for some reason:)

I think this Ryan Lochte kerfluffle (and I don't think it's much more than that) is unfortunately a predictable result of TPTB on this show courting controversy.  

Regardless of whether Lochte was lined up to compete before the incident in Brazil, several other multi-national companies decided to sever ties with him because they did not want to be associated with him in any way, shape or form.  If Lochte was signed before the incident, TPTB still had that same option, but chose to embrace him.  If he wasn't signed prior to the incident, then they're even worse.

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

HOWEVER, I do think a little perspective is necessary. Brazil has serious problems, and this whole "Lochte is tarnishing our country's reputation" narrative is laughable. No, your country already had a bad reputation for reasons far more severe and important than four dumb Americans ruining a bathroom door at a gas station. It's distracting from actual, legitimate problems (very similar to what all governments do, ours included, but I digress.).

I think it's not so much that he cast a pall over Brazil, but the Rio Olympics, which is different.  Countries like Brazil compete to win an Olympic bid to show off their country, and then put a gazillion amount of time and money into doing just that.  The Rio Olympics had so much bad press leading up to it, and so much doom and gloom and actual fear attached to the Games (Zika, terrorism...), and yet they managed to pull it off.  Things were going a lot better than expected, and then in one fell swoop, Ryan brought it all down.  His story dominated Olympic coverage the world over for days.  Which kinda stinks if you're Brazil and proud of your country and the Games, or an athlete that's competing, but all anyone's talking about is the crime in Rio's streets.

I also have to LOL at the claims that Ryan was booked for the show before the Olympics.  Please!  That's such obvious spin - from both places (the show and Ryan).  The show has been on for years, and they always hold a spot or two open for a post-Olympic athlete  with buzz - someone that did well or broke through in some way, which of course does not describe Ryan (except for the buzz part, but that was due to the scandal, of course, which is also something the show does a lot).

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I sincerely wish I could find the video where he explains why the songs are different, because my retelling is not going to do justice to how dumb it was.  His explanation was "my line is 'dun dun dun dun dun dun dun boom chissssh' and Under Pressure is 'dun dun dun dun dun dun dun boom".   He made the noises with his mouth while demonstrating, which really was just the cherry on how terrible the excuse was  

From wiki:

The song's hook samples the bassline of the 1981 song "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie,[9] who did not receive credit or royalties for the sample.[10] In a 1990 interview, Van Winkle said the two melodies were slightly different because he had added an additional note, an anacrusis ("pickup") between odd-numbered and subsequent even-numbered iterations of the Under Pressure sample.[11] In later interviews, Van Winkle readily admitted he sampled the song and claimed his 1990 statement was a joke; others, however, suggested he had been serious.[11][12] Van Winkle later paid Queen and Bowie and as a result, Bowie and all members of Queen have since been given songwriting credit for the sample.[11] In December 1990, Van Winkle told British youth music magazine Smash Hits where he came up with the idea of sampling "Under Pressure":

“The way I do stuff is to go through old records that my brother has. He used to listen to rock 'n' roll and stuff like that. I listened to funk and hip hop because rock wasn't really my era. But having a brother like that, well, I just mixed the two, and he had a copy of 'Under Pressure'. And putting those sounds to hip hop was great.[13]

More at:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Ice_Baby 

• Love 1

Things were going a lot better than expected,

Sure, except for the part where the pool the divers had to compete in turned green, word of the athletes in the Olympic Village having some of their stuff stolen, etc. The Lochte drama allowed the narrative to move away from how mediocre in general these Games were.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

My cynical side says the Lochte disruption was a probably a plant to try and drum up even more sympathy for a guy who doesn't deserve an ounce of it.

I agree that it is much more likely to have been orchestrated by the show and/or Lochte (and his team) than an independent act. Lochte and the show have so much more to gain from this publicity than any random person. I mean, who the hell protests a swimmer? People aren't going to risk getting arrested and going to jail because they don't like a swimmer. I find it hard to believe anyone would even drop a dollar to have those anti-Lochte shirts made unless they were connected with this show and/or Lochte himself. I'm 95% sure this was an inside publicity stunt.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Superpole2000 said:

I agree that it is much more likely to have been orchestrated by the show and/or Lochte (and his team) than an independent act. Lochte and the show have so much more to gain from this publicity than any random person. I mean, who the hell protests a swimmer? People aren't going to risk getting arrested and going to jail because they don't like a swimmer. I find it hard to believe anyone would even drop a dollar to have those anti-Lochte shirts made unless they were connected with this show and/or Lochte himself. I'm 95% sure this was an inside publicity stunt.

Reportedly the protestors were Brazilians living in Los Angeles objecting to the Lochte's lying about what happened in Rio.  The shirts appeared to be hand made.   You may underestimate the impact of Lochte's actions on Brazilians. 

No one's spending time in jail for this crime.  The only offense committed by the men who stormed the stage is trespassing and that's what they'll be charged with.  They'll pay a fine and be on their way. The four women in the audience committed no crime. 

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Sure, except for the part where the pool the divers had to compete in turned green, word of the athletes in the Olympic Village having some of their stuff stolen, etc. The Lochte drama allowed the narrative to move away from how mediocre in general these Games were.

Yeah and the part where all the athletes and spectators attending got Zika and all the boaters and open-water swimmers were poisoned by the polluted water, none of the venues were completed and it was too dangerous to walk the streets.   Yup. The games were completely mediocre.  

Actually, by almost every measure, the games were a big success.

• Love 3

I think the show's director is an unsung hero here.  Drunk idiots have run on the field of televised games and sports venues for years now, so directors know what to do.  Here, the director kept the camera on Carrie Ann, and immediately split screened it with roll-back of Ryan and Cheryl's dance, and really didn't show even a minute of the ruckus before cutting to a commercial.  And then of course there's Tom.  He's such a pro.  

• Love 3

Because it literally stopped the show, I'll address the Locte topic here so that, hopefully, the topic can be replaced by the dance content we get in the coming weeks.

The Lochte incident seems to have taken on a life of its own and, I think that, ironically, it's not Lochte's fault. For me, the USOC and USA Swimming and, to a lesser extent but still relevant, the US State Department dropped the ball on this one. Ryan did not "flee" the country, he departed on schedule while his teammates were basically "locked up abroad." Regardless of the hyperbolic nature of the interview he gave to a color commentator, there is no excuse on the part of these organizations for condoning a situation where someone pulled a gun on an American athlete during the Olympics. Team Australia were much more emphatic in their support of their own athletes when the host nation mistreated them. With all the camera footage that the store-owner had available, it would not have been hard to get compensation for property damage; there was absolutely no reason to pull a gun on these athletes.  Had Ryan not backed down, we could be talking about how a US Olympic athlete was shot in the host country. That would have been a legitimate international incident, not this nonsensical situation.

That said, Ryan is taking full responsibility and, from what I saw last night, is doing a good job of getting beyond the negative sound bites by showing a game nature and taking the competition seriously. It's a shame that the proceedings were interrupted as they were last night after his dance. Honestly, though, I don't think it quite tops "Fainting Marie Osmond" as the all-time most random/disturbing incident to occur while being addressed by the judges...so there's that.

Thank goodness for Laurie Hernandez, I don't know of anybody else who could get away with equating this show with a doing a victory lap after winning a Gold Medal at the Olympics. Having seen some of her talking heads during the Olympics, I find it refreshing that she's not having any of it, with regards to the PC media training she's probably had to endure. She's navigating the experience with the ease and confidence that she shows when traversing the balance beam.

I'm sure there were other celebrities who appeared on the Laurie Hernandez DWTS exhibition event. Handing her the trophy right now would be a crime because we'd be robbed of the performances from Laurie/Val on their way to the Finals.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Yeah and the part where all the athletes and spectators attending got Zika and all the boaters and open-water swimmers were poisoned by the polluted water, none of the venues were completed and it was too dangerous to walk the streets.   Yup. The games were completely mediocre.  

Actually, by almost every measure, the games were a big success.

Hyperbole is always fun, except for the part where I didn't state anything of what you just posted, so I don't even know what the point here is but whatever. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Saytura said:

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/09/13/dwts-ryan-lochte-protesters/

TMZ has more information.  Basically they wanted to embarrass Lochte how he embarrassed America.  One of the guys was also in Rio for the Olympics and said the controversy caused issues for him.  

And they want to sue DWTS for how the security guards tackled him.  Hahaha.

They might have a case.  It looked like a bit of excess force.  Remember, the crime was only that they walked on to the stage during a live television show.  Wearing a provocative T-shirt is not a crime and they never touched any of the "talent" or made an attempt to touch any of the talent. Full body tackle and slamming into the floor seemed excessive. If they follow through on their attempt to sue, DWTS will probably quietly settle for a sum that's at least enough to cover their trespassing fine if they are convicted of that.  The max. fine for misdeamor trespassing in California is $1000.

• Love 1

Walking on stage during a television show seems like it would be a violation of the rules the show has set up before they let guests in though. I can't imagine any show (whether it's Dancing with the Stars or Friends) being permissive enough to let people walk in on the stage any time they want.

I can't imagine Oprah being all "Hey yeah, sure you can walk up on my stage anytime you want." If they have rules for how you should dress when being in the audience, I'm pretty sure they have rules for making sure you stay in your seat. 

Edited by bantering

Please the one video clearly has one of the trespassers getting within 10 feet of them . How is security supposed to know that they have no intention of harming Lochte or anyone else on that stage.  They were tackled because they rushed the stage . Is security supposed to ask nicely to please put your hands in these handcuffs so they can arrest them. I don't think it was anymore excessive than when security tackles fans who run on the field at sporting events 

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 11
48 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Well, the post before yours said they spent the night in jail, so I guess a little jail time was served !

Sorry. I didn't click on the video. I thought they were booked and released on the same day.  I'm not sure if this counts as "jail time." They were brought to the police station and had to wait around until the morning while the LAPD determined if charges of trespassing were warranted and while the police dealt with actual criminals.

• Love 1

RemoteControl, first I want to apologize for my English should be terrible, I'm not fluent.

Second, I would like to say that the Olympics were as we say here in Brazil '' for english see''. This means that nothing has been done thinking about us, Brazilians, but to foreigners. Just to show how '' perfect '' our country and most important our ''wonderful'' administration is. It´s patetic.

In particular, I found the way the media of you are portraying the situation in our country offensive, but not unfounded.

The zika and the poison water were bullshit. But the question of security not.

Things just were not really ugly, because our army was to the streets before the start of the Olympics. So you have not been exposed to our security (or lack ) standard.

And yet, there were still incidents. As the issue of the Australians, the Olympic Village, the Russian consul and keeps going.

Try to come here and see the Brazil without 'makeup' 'that was put to him .Although we still have a beautiful country and a happy people, the picture becomes quite different.

• Love 1

I've had a bellyful of the Lochte incident and would like to talk about The Dance Show.  Marilu: I've said that I like her because I'm her age and i want to see her do well. As someone said, she has great legs. I give her a break for her over-the-top reaction to Derek.  He is a bigger celeb than her at this point in time and she has been a long-time fan of the show.  Of course she would want to get Golden Boy!  She probably assumed he would be partnered with a younger prettier woman.

Marilu is one of the few people on earth with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthymesia.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 3

I found last night's show sort of boring. The only real stand out to me was Laurie whose enthusiasm is infectious and who in my opinion, had the best dance of the night by far. Loved her in the Olympics and I hope she wins the mirrorball trophy with Val. Her technique is really good and it seems to me that she has the potential to be even better as the show goes on. 

James did a good job with his first dance and I hate to say it, but I liked Vanilla Ice's dance despite the fact that it didn't have much cha cha content.

I was surprised that Amber Rose danced so safe and timid. However, I don't doubt she'll come out of her shell more as she gets over her nerves. 

I liked Marilu on Celebrity Apprentice, but she was annoying in the package with her over-the-top praise towards Derek and during the judges scores too. Take it down a notch please!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Steph619 said:

I was surprised that Amber Rose danced so safe and timid. However, I don't doubt she'll come out of her shell more as she gets over her nerves. 

I liked Marilu on Celebrity Apprentice, but she was annoying in the package with her over-the-top praise towards Derek and during the judges scores too. Take it down a notch please!

I was surprised that Amber was so timid also. And, the sparkles were fine, but the whole outfit was not very attractive. I was sure Maks was going to rip off her skirt or something.

Marilu just talks way too much. Waaay tooo much !!!

• Love 1

The fact is there have been too many incidents of people being crazy and harming someone for any security to take it lightly when someone rushes a stage, field, etc. at any event. Whatever one's feelings about Ryan and what he did, he wasn't the only person there - Cheryl, Tom and even the judges were all there and in that moment vulnerable. That's why Erin, a woman who went through a very disturbing violation of privacy/stalking crime, looked so freaked out when she came back out at the end. In those first few seconds where no one really knew what was happening, these people were probably panicked.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 10
54 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

No he's not.  His so-called apology was pretty defensive, and he didn't return to Rio to face the charges (for which I don't blame him), but then that's not exactly taking full responsibility for what he did.  It was more of a "I'm sorry I got caught" apology, and I think that's partly why people are still angry.

I think I know what you're talking about to a certain extent.  I started to watch Matt Lauer's poor/gross/offensive imitation of an investigative reporter, but I lost interest when he seemed intent on being obtuse about what Ryan was willing to say with regard to the incident. As they say, hindsight is 20/20 so Matt's little "gotcha" ambush was bit too offensive for me to continue to watch. Ryan's official account of what happened (with the exception of "ripping the poster off the wall") is pretty close to what the video footage shows to have happened. The discrepancy between the "NBC official account" and Ryan's description of events, occurs when hearing and giving full credibility to the people at the gas station.  The "defensiveness" on Ryan's part came up when Matt tried to get Ryan to go farther than he was willing to go in substantiating the one-sided story as it was being presented by the Brazilian officials and NBC.

He was likely pressured by the USOC (Is it still an open question whether Los Angeles is in the running for an upcoming Olympics?), and USA Swimming who are still reeling from having dropped the ball with their biggest and brightest star, Michael Phelps, "hitting rock bottom." In any case, Ryan is now on DWTS attempting to pick up the pieces of his life and move forward. I'm sure there were a myriad of options available for him to pursue and he chose this one. By not speaking further about what, it looks to me, he considers to be the truth, he's accepting full responsibility. His dance with Cheryl was very entertaining and I was very impressed that a non-dancer with a swimmer's build could do as well as he did. 

37 minutes ago, alice fiori said:

Try to come here and see the Brazil without 'makeup' 'that was put to him .Although we still have a beautiful country and a happy people, the picture becomes quite different.

Thank you for your most interesting and informative perspective on the matter. For me the face of Brazil will always be Guga, because I follow tennis, and his is indeed a face that exudes much happiness. Post-Olympics, Gisele's final catwalk has been delightfully etched into my memory; she, too, seemed to personify what I think of when I think of the happy spirit of Brazil.  The "makeup" that you mention, I think, is also a fabrication of NBC who had a vested interest in telling a particular story with their coverage in the US. I think the US Media tend to sell a different product than the UK Media, or at least sell the same product in a different way.

In regards to Ryan Lochte appearing on DWTS, I can't tell from your post if the general feeling about it in Brazil is mostly negative or indifferent.

• Love 2

I feel like you give up the right to being peacefully detained if you choose to break a social contract of your attendance. 

Had the protesters calmly walked up, turned their backs to Cheryl, Tom, Ryan, and the judges, and stood (or staged a sit in), sure, maybe. When you start making unpredictable, fast actions you have to assume others are going to assume the worst, given that lives literally could be at stake. You might know you're not dangerous, but no one else does. And if I have to take a side I'm always going to be in favor of protecting lives, especially when the cost ends up maybe being some bruises.

I hope DWTS doesn't settle if those guys do sue. At best, maybe drop whatever charges they might press. But giving those guys anything just sends the message of "yeah, you didn't really do anything wrong" (regardless of if anyone believes Lochte deserved it), which is laughable. 

• Love 10

I would suggest that security had to go hard on the guys.  In the moment, there was no way of knowing whether they had weapons. The guys were in close proximity of not only Ryan, Cheryl, Tom and the judges, but also the whole audience.  If a gun were to go off, anyone could have gotten hit, talent, crew or audience.  It's a pretty small, enclosed space compared to a ballfield.

Also I'm pretty sure only the general audience (the ones who wait in line for hours) goes through the metal detectors. The so-called VIPs go through a separate entrance.  As I understand it from friends who have been to the show numerous times (as a VIP),  their IDs are checked against a list from whoever vouched for them and that's about it. They don't have to check their cameras or iPhones, they can bring in bags of gifts and stuff for their pro or star, etc.  There's alot of people let in that way, family, friends, etc. Depending on their wristband, many even can visit the pro/star at their trailer.  It's amazingly open.  I don't know what the procedure is for crew, food service, etc.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, wings707 said:

I hope Lochte is eliminated next week (or whenever the first one is) so we don't have to talk about it anymore.  

IIRC, during the seasons of Bristol Palin and Chaz Bono, it resulted in similar contentious derailing of show-related conversation.  A rule was imposed limiting discussion to only what happened on the episodes.  I'd be in favor of that again.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Glaadrial said:

In any case, Ryan is now on DWTS attempting to pick up the pieces of his life and move forward. I'm sure there were a myriad of options available for him to pursue and he chose this one. By not speaking further about what, it looks to me, he considers to be the truth, he's accepting full responsibility. 

What options do you assume were available to him?  He was dropped by most of his sponsors, and suspended by US Swimming.  It seems to me that he was more of a pariah than a returning Olympic hero, so I'm not seeing where he'd be so in demand...  Except for DWTS, of course, and their penchant for courting controversy.

33 minutes ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

How does not showing the ruckus even remotely fit the definition of heroic?

It was just a turn of phrase.  I didn't mean it literally.  I just wanted to say bravo to the director.  Or maybe just give a shout-out to Tom, who I love and think he's great on live tv.

18 minutes ago, SnarkyTart said:

IIRC, during the seasons of Bristol Palin and Chaz Bono, it resulted in similar contentious derailing of show-related conversation.  A rule was imposed limiting discussion to only what happened on the episodes.  I'd be in favor of that again.

But we're only talking about it (as is every media outlet) because it happened on the show.  It's not off-camera stuff.  

Also, why is Chaz Bono considered "controversial?"  That's bugging me.  Ok, I'll admit - that's probably OT!

13 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

But we're only talking about it (as is every media outlet) because it happened on the show.  It's not off-camera stuff.  

Also, why is Chaz Bono considered "controversial?"  That's bugging me.  Ok, I'll admit - that's probably OT!

Chaz Bono is about as controversial as toast with jam. 

Caitlyn Jenner is controversial, in contrast, since she's a jackass, whereas Chaz is a decent human being.

• Love 7

I liked how when Derek was yelling at the protesters to get out you can hear him say, "Get out of here, this is a good show, a positive show." Aw, bless, he must be successful at staying off the internet. 

But beyond the Lochtincident, some dancepinions on the danspectacle!

giphy.gif

(I've realized I'll never be able to watch this season until the next day because I've got Monday night commitments all fall. Womp.) 

Laurie by a mile. Duh. I've said I think she might be the best gymnast they've ever had on the show. You can just tell she's a much more natural performer. Shawn was good but took a bit to settle in, Laurie's got it right off the bat. Her only competition here is her schedule (though I think she's got enough natural charisma to hide potential technique issues if she ends up running short on time) and potentially "charming, affable hardworking dude" contestant. (Which brings us to James and Calvin)

Tier 2

James Hinchcliffe. I feel justified in my preseason judgement of this guy. I'd never heard of him, then saw one interview, combined with how excited Sharna was, this guy was tailor made for the DWTS audience. One of the only ones to maaaybe make a run at Laurie's mirrorball. (Though if Sharna gets second again, I'm going to start to feel bad about her perpetual runner up status. 

Calvin. Just as charming as James I think, but he's at a disadvantage because he's just so big. I don't know that he'll be able to keep up with the movement, but I'd still like to see him in my top 3. 

Tier 3

Marilu. I think she was good, but showed how nonsense any "ringeryist ringer" talk was. She seemed a bit slow in that jive, though Derek didn't seem to hold back on content for her. That's not going to be her best style.  I feel okay keeping her at a 4th place finish on the strength of Derek's fanbase, but could see her slipping to 5 or 6 if others pick up. Maaaybe bumping up to 3 if Calvin falls apart, but everyone's gonna be so grumpy about it if she does. Imma need her to calm down though. She reminds me too much of my mom, when she's so excited that me and my siblings are visiting (we all live far away) and it manifests as this like, manic anxiety of excitement. It's sweet, but I find myself having to constantly be all, "Hey Mom, breathe."

Jana. I thought she was pretty good and shows potential, but seems to have committed the cardinal sin of being too obvious about sexiness, and it may cause the pearl clutchers to turn on her. 

Babyface. I thought he was pretty decent. But still think he might be too mellow and get lost in this cast.

Tier 4

Maureen. Just seems so fragile. I'm not sure how she'll hold up to the season. (Still reminds me the most of Danica McKeller, for potential bundle of nerves personality.) 

Amber. That was, not very good. She was way stiff and self-conscious. Very in her head and steppy. Maybe it was just nerves and she can bust out of it? I liked her, but she did not move well. 

Terra. I saw a clip of her fighting on her "Real Housewives" equivalent show and thought I wouldn't like her, but I liked her more than I thought I would. (Power of Sasha?) She moves pretty well. Might stick around for a bit? I don't know how they'll accomplish dances that need to stay in hold, but I guess we'll see. 

Vanilla Ice. Its painfully obvious that he was cast at the last minute because they needed a partner for Witney and hadn't gotten anyone else to sign yet. Like, PAINFULLY. But he's not too bad, seems to be putting the work in okay? I don't know how he'll do outside his comfort zone though. (That was all hip hop.) 

Tier 5

Lochte.  Put me in the camp that finds him more sympathetic post-protestors. I think that he'll stick around for a bit now. He also wasn't as terrible as I was worried he would be? Not great, but not as wooden as I would have thought. 

Rick Perry. bleh

Jake WizardDisney. I've realized I always hate the former Disney dudes. (Or Nickelodeon dudes, I guess, James Maslow and Carlos annoyed me too from this category, though Carlos was so much MORE annoying than James that I ended up retroactively liking James more.) But anyway, of Disney dudes, this one especially seems forgettable. Also, did anyone else catch how fake and staged Jenna's, "Jaaaaake? I used to LOVE you on TV!!" seemed to be? My pick for first out. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
typooooos
  • Love 3

I liked how when Derek was yelling at the protesters to get out you can hear him say, "Get out of here, this is a good show, a positive show." Aw, bless, he must be successful at staying off the internet. 

Say what you will about Derek, but I admire that he was one of the first to want to do something. (Val did, too, but he's in the back of the videos.) Cheryl, Val, and Maks have mentioned in the post-incident interviews and in various ways that want to make the ballroom a safe, supportive place and any criticism that the celebrity gets outside of dance critique isn't welcome. It's a stupid dance show, but I like that.

But yeah, they must stay clear of the internet. We can be brutal.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, McManda said:

Say what you will about Derek, but I admire that he was one of the first to want to do something. (Val did, too, but he's in the back of the videos.) Cheryl, Val, and Maks have mentioned in the post-incident interviews and in various ways that want to make the ballroom a safe, supportive place and any criticism that the celebrity gets outside of dance critique isn't welcome. It's a stupid dance show, but I like that.

Ok, I'm admittedly not a Derek fan, but when I first heard that he was the first to jump into action, I thought it meant that he helped security pounce on the guys...something of that nature.  When I saw the video and saw that what he did was to yell "Get out of here!  This is a good show!" at the protesting ladies, I kinda laughed.  

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, McManda said:

But yeah, they must stay clear of the internet. We can be brutal.

Oh yeah, I actually find myself really liking almost all the pros on the show, and I think it's commendable that in that moment of adrenaline so many of them got protective and ran towards it. But, yeah, the internet part of this show is a heated cauldren of...well something I wouldn't necessarily call positivity. Especially all for "a stupid dance show." ;P

• Terra, the little woman,  is a nasty piece of work. She is extremely ambitious and throws the other little women under the bus--even saying they're on drugs, drinking again,  having affairs,  etc. Libel lawyers would have afield day, if the caddy had not signed waivers.  She blamed another little woman for filling a police report after Terra threw a bottle at her head.  

The spew Terra had about everyone should try to do everything,  or some such B.S., was pure whitewash, for trying to make herself a champion of social justice.  She's an executive producer of the Little Women L.A.  show; $ drives the dumb drama on that show--think Housewives but meaner.  I wish that she would do her roots also.

Terra did dance as a career with Miley and others on tour. Lots of twerking to show off the bodacious booty.  Her daughter is super cute with red curly hair. I can't blame Terra for her drive, but she could inject some logic or brains into the arguments, instead of sound volume to make her points.  Make better tv instead of copying the same ole fighting drama.  

Edited by Tosia
I want Terra to be nicer, and then succeed.
  • Love 2