Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E01: Week 1: Premiere

• Start Topic

Personally, I get tired of the overused line of "there are worse things in this world" when trying to excuse people of their bad behavior.  It's a line that can be used to whitewash every misdeed as there are always worse things going on. Brazil was raked over the coals in the months leading up to the Olympics, and what Lochte did was take those notions and use them to get out of some very bad behavior.  But let's not forget, if his mother hadn't opened her mouth in the first place, we might not have heard about this incident.  She's the one who made the overture to the press.  

Laurie is spectacular and I can't wait to see how she does on her other dances.   Why do people like Perry even bother doing a show like this?  Are they that desperate for attention that they don't mind making asses of themselves?   

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I sincerely wish I could find the video where he explains why the songs are different, because my retelling is not going to do justice to how dumb it was.

This one? It's not the original, but I think this clip is what you meant. 

• Love 1

I don't think international relations training is needed when a piece of shit human is drunk, and MAKES UP A FUCKING LIE ABOUT PUTTING A GUN IN YOUR FACE.., Any overreaction was because the fuckhead spoiled bitch lied.

Judging from the only investigative reporting I've seen that was done about this incident (USA Today, ffs), Lochte had a gun put in his face, did have money demanded from him AND neither the gunman nor the swimmers shared the same language, so I'm not convinced he lied in the sense of telling a deliberate untruth.  I think this whole story is a cautionary tale about the power of a totally ineffective media in an internet world.  Here's the text from the USA Today article:

RIO DE JANEIRO – Seven days after an incident that will in part define the Rio Olympics, details are becoming clearer about what happened during a gas station encounter between four U.S. swimmers and security guards, and not everyone has concluded Ryan Lochte and his teammates are entirely in the wrong or that the account offered by Rio authorities is entirely accurate.

Lochte has admitted he exaggerated his initial description of how the four men were stopped in their taxi and robbed by men who flashed badges, as well as his sensational allegation of a gun being held to his forehead.

But a narrative of the night’s events – constructed by USA TODAY Sports from witness statements, official investigations, surveillance videos and media reports – supports Lochte’s later account in which he said he thought the swimmers were being robbed when they were approached at a gas station by armed men who flashed badges, pointed guns at them and demanded money.

A Brazilian judge says police might have been hasty in determining the security guards, by how they dealt with the swimmers, did not commit a robbery. A lawyer who has practiced in Brazil for 25 years says she does not think the actions of Lochte and teammate Jimmy Feigen constitute the filing of a false police report as defined under Brazilian law.

An extensive review of surveillance footage by a USA TODAY Sports videographer who also visited the gas station supports swimmer Gunnar Bentz’s claim that he did not see anyone vandalize the restroom, an allegation that in particular heightened media portrayals of the four as obnoxious Americans behaving recklessly in a foreign country. Meanwhile, Rio authorities have declined to identify the guards or offer any details beyond confirming they are members of law enforcement who were working a private security detail.

As the Rio Games closing ceremony was held Sunday night, all four swimmers had left Brazil. Two of them, Bentz and Jack Conger, face no charges. Feigen paid a settlement to avoid charges and returned home.

The case against Lochte, who has been pilloried around the world for his embellished initial account and blamed for offending an entire country as it proudly hosted the Summer Olympics, has yet to proceed.

It is clear from all accounts that a Portuguese-English language barrier played a major role in the incident and that a bilingual Brazilian witness who stepped forward at the scene was critical in preventing a tense situation from escalating.

The witness, Fernando Deluz, says he got involved after one of the guards pulled a gun on the men.

"As soon as they drew their weapon, that's when I got worried,” Deluz, a disc jockey, told USA TODAY Sports on Saturday.

“It was also so fast, and what I wanted was to resolve the situation,” says Deluz, who days later talked to police. “If it hadn't been for wanting to resolve that, if I hadn't involved myself, I thought – the police chief told me, ‘Man, if you hadn't gone there in that moment, a tragedy could have occurred.’ ”

So that's interesting -- although, if it's really true, why has he been fined and why have his peers been fined?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/08/22/extensive-usa-today-investigation-raises-new-questions-about-rio-police-involved-in-lochte-incident/

• Love 9
11 hours ago, tiredofwork said:

True, but what he did was use prejudice to disparage a race/culture in a false narrative.., I believe that is dangerous.  Much like Susan Smith blaming a "Black guy" for killing her kids.., so, I hate the trope that a 27 yr old is a "boy needs to grow up" thing.

Especially since he's 32.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, SanLynn said:

One more note now that I've watched Laurie's routine for the 10th time. Tom commenting on how nervous everyone is but not Laurie made me laugh after hearing all about how the gymnasts in Martha Karolyi's program train.

After that there is nothing that is gonna freak this girl out. Except maybe the Rhumba.

I wonder if they'll give her a Rumba. I mean, they're always pretty cautious about what dances they give the underage celebs, especially since they're paired with an older pro. They don't want to look skeevy. Shawn Johnson was 17 when she won, right? Did she have to do a Rumba? Zendaya was just 17, too. It's good that Val has experience in partnering an under-18 celeb. Laurie is just 16. 

As far as Lochte is concerned...WTF.  He's a meathead and he's being punished and banned from swim competition for 10 months. Plus, he lost a lot of money in endorsements. He's being punished. But, seriously! Who wasted their time protesting HIM? Find something meaningful to protest and risk getting your ass arrested for! The only thing that those idiots accomplished was making Lochte look sympathetic. Protest FAIL. And what exactly did Cheryl Burke do to deserve that? She looked like she was really rattled. 

I mean, it's Dancing With the Stars! It's fluffy entertainment! It's not like he's going to be POTUS if he wins and get access to the nuclear launch codes. The winner of this show gets a tacky Mirror Ball on a stick from the Saturday Night Fever House of Prop Rejects. Perspective! 

• Love 19
5 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Especially since he's 32.

especially since there's a girl 2 times younger and 3 times more mature than him (yet she is at a level of a mature teenager, not even adult lol and even that would be a major improvement for Ryan)

• Love 1

I get it that everyone likes Laurie Hernandez and wants her to win, which may very likely happen. And I know the show needs a "front runner" each season has one.

But she has such an advantage over the others, I just hate when anyone seems like the winner on the first night.

I want to watch someone learn and get better each week. I hate it more when a contestant is as good as a pro dancer.

• Love 8

One of the most interesting aspects of the incident is CAI's freeze (fight, flight or freeze).  She looked like an avenging sorceress as she did it.   I thought it was a bit PTSD-like and, as someone who has experienced the "freeze" reaction to something - if she genuinely did freeze, it's amazing that she was able to be coherent (CAI coherent) afterwards.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I cannot understand how the guy got through security and onto the dancefloor of a live broadcast...Erin Andrews looked horrified at the end as she came to be next to Tom...

I cannot stand Ryan Lochte..don't want him on the show but crap like that doesn't belong on this show...

I liked a lot of people tonight....I love Marilu..but the last girl was great..the country singer can go....that raunchy Waltz did nothing for me but made me say "Hey Amber Rose has more clothes"....I liked Vanilla Ice..but expect him not to last...and I am surprised I liked his dance..

Rick Perry won't last but at least he gave it a shot...My mom thought it was embarrassing...I thought he did better than Tucker Carlson..but he also made me long for Bill Engvall...

It's good to have my show back...and there's more good than bad...but if I were a celeb on this show, I'd be meeting with the producers and the network honchos tomorrow about security...

No disrespect honestly but this statement bothers me. That statement could be applied to any of the women tonight but I think it's directed at Amber because of her past and I don't think that's fair. 

With that said I think she is stunning but not a very good dancer. And I need to know right now if not sooner where she got her hoop earrings!

I'm one of the "girlies on standby waiting to just say hi" so all my votes will be for Vanilla Ice and Babyface. My votes are completely based on me fangirling HARD and not on ability. I enjoyed both of their performances. 

• Love 2

One thing that will be interesting. Will Derek "I yelled at the protesters and told them to get out of my house! I'm a HERO" Hough tire of Marilu Henner, and how quickly will he lose it?  My opinion of Henner is, she has no filter, is pretty bossy and opinionated, and LOUD. Once they get into the heavy practices and are tired, sore, and snappy, I can see the drama coming down the pike. If he couldn't get along with Jennifer Grey, this one will probably bug him MORE, eventually.  This partnership is going to possibly be WORK for Mr. Hough.  It's about time.  

Even so, Henner is in excellent physical shape and will last awhile. It's not going to be as much work as if they had partnered Derek with Cloris Leachman, but Henner isn't the typical Derek partner assignment. 

Marcia Brady > Elaine Nardo

If they wanted swimming, they could have signed Nathan Adrian.

Oh, my GOD. Yes. Slurp.....

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I wonder if they'll give her a Rumba. I mean, they're always pretty cautious about what dances they give the underage celebs, especially since they're paired with an older pro. They don't want to look skeevy. Shawn Johnson was 17 when she won, right? Did she have to do a Rumba? Zendaya was just 17, too. It's good that Val has experience in partnering an under-18 celeb. Laurie is just 16. 

As far as Lochte is concerned...WTF.  He's a meathead and he's being punished and banned from swim competition for 10 months. Plus, he lost a lot of money in endorsements. He's being punished. But, seriously! Who wasted their time protesting HIM? Find something meaningful to protest and risk getting your ass arrested for! The only thing that those idiots accomplished was making Lochte look sympathetic. Protest FAIL. And what exactly did Cheryl Burke do to deserve that? She looked like she was really rattled. 

I mean, it's Dancing With the Stars! It's fluffy entertainment! It's not like he's going to be POTUS if he wins and get access to the nuclear launch codes. The winner of this show gets a tacky Mirror Ball on a stick from the Saturday Night Fever House of Prop Rejects. Perspective! 

Here's Shawn's rumba with Mark (her initial appearance on the show)

10 minutes ago, Vinyasa said:

I get it that everyone likes Laurie Hernandez and wants her to win, which may very likely happen. And I know the show needs a "front runner" each season has one.

But she has such an advantage over the others, I just hate when anyone seems like the winner on the first night.

I want to watch someone learn and get better each week. I hate it more when a contestant is as good as a pro dancer.

And what makes you think that Laurie won't?

I understand some people's problem with Nyle last season, where he plateaued at a respectable level very early, but CAI is correct, this girl is hungry for knowledge, technique and experience. She will learn and get even better, I guarantee it.

True, the rest are probably competing for the 2nd place (just like in Rio everyone was competing for 2nd and 3rd behind Simone, yet she did falter on the beam and lost her gold... so you never know)... it can make life easier for some, and harder for others, depending on their mindset...

• Love 4

Interesting. Shawn's Rumba seems to have more body separation than a typical Rumba on the show. And she and Mark actually look close in age. The age difference seems more obvious with Val and Cutey Patootey, IMO.  Mark is more boyish looking than Val.  I don't know if I want to see them Rumba (Val and Laurie, not Mark and Val...not that there's anything wrong with that!) LOL.  

5 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Interesting. Shawn's Rumba seems to have more body separation than a typical Rumba on the show. And she and Mark actually look close in age. The age difference seems more obvious with Val and Cutey Patootey, IMO.  Mark is more boyish looking than Val.  I don't know if I want to see them Rumba (Val and Laurie, not Mark and Val...not that there's anything wrong with that!) LOL.  

And funny enough Mark and Val both turned 30 this year yet Val does look older (which Val is by 2 months to the exact date if Wikipedia is to be believed)

Edited by TotalHellion

Well I agree with everyone else who said this was Laurie's competition to lose. A lot of them were good, but she definitely has the "wow" factor. It will be interesting to see who else makes the finals. I don't think either Derek or Maks will make it. Maybe Lindsay and Sharna, or Gleb? I was surprised at how much I like Vanilla Ice's dance. It was more hip-hop than cha cha, but I liked it.

Gleb's partner can dance, but she seems to be a trainwreck. Yikes! 

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Well, and to be fair - Mark and Shawn are going to look closer in age because they are.  When they danced together, she was 17 and he was 23; whereas the age difference between Laurie and Val is 14 years and looks it.  In her thread, I mentioned my apprehension at the partnership- not because I didn't think either person was up for the task, but because it looks like Val is dancing with a child.  I know Zendaya was only 15 when she danced with Val, but she read a bit more mature-looking; Val looks like a mature 30 (and if I hadn't checked his age, I would've guessed he was older) and Laurie looks like a young 16, so the age difference is heightened. 

• Love 3

This is why I don't like having children on the show. Val didn't do anything inappropriate, but it looks weird to see him dancing with a child. Likewise, Artem and Derek look like they are dancing with their grandmas. Why don't they just get some older or younger ballroom dancers on the show? If they are going to allow children, then get a child ballroom dancer to be Laurie's partner. Or get an older gentleman for Marilu and Marcia Brady.

• Love 5
On 9/13/2016 at 0:18 AM, McManda said:

All the more reason why I don't understand why this is such a bfd. It boils down to a guy doing dumb things that, in the end, he paid for, both monetarily, professionally, and personally. I don't think anyone will look at Ryan Lochte and think "well he got away scot free so I can, too".

There are so many worse people in the world. In a world where you can admit to raping an unconscious girl and get only six months in jail, why waste the effort completely villianizing some dumb, drunk guy that can't get a story straight?

One can do both. It's possible to be offended by both a frat boy rapist getting a slap on the wrist and a moronic douchebag  who caused an international incident (however inadvertently) at the same time. 

Re The Incident, I felt bad for Cheryl and Tom and Laurie & Val, who had to perform after it happened, but as for Ryan Lochte? Zero fucks were given. 

James Hinchcliffe was delightful. His Foxtrot was elegant, graceful and charming. If he keeps up the good work, I think he can at least make the Semi-Finals. 

Laurie and Val were amazing! Their Cha-Cha was the best dance of the night. ITA that this is basically theirs to lose. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, tiredofwork said:

True, but what he did was use prejudice to disparage a race/culture in a false narrative.., I believe that is dangerous.  Much like Susan Smith blaming a "Black guy" for killing her kids.., so, I hate the trope that a 27 yr old is a "boy needs to grow up" thing.

Kudos to you - Ryan is actually 32 yrs old - born 8/3/1984 - the same year as my son and he's no boy. My son knows that there are consequences to every action and would never cause an incident or embarrass the US team like he did. I'm not even watching the show - but will watch the individual dances on youtube.

Terra Jolie is on Little Women LA and portrays a despicable woman - another reason not to watch the show.

I do so love the gymnast - she's so enthusiastic and adorable. Give her the mirror ball now. Her comment about her presence on DWTS being compared to the congratulation wake was so cute. Truly - a good representative of the US Olympic Team.

• Love 5

Val didn't do anything inappropriate, but it looks weird to see him dancing with a child. Likewise, Artem and Derek look like they are dancing with their grandmas.

I can understand reservations about an older guy dancing with someone Laurie's age. But  I don't think the dances between the men and the older women look problematic. I guess you can't do the showmance element with the younger guy and older women, which makes people squee less when the romantic element is removed, but the actual dances don't look odd (probably because I don't think romance in the first place, unless Kirstie Alley is involved).  The younger women dancers are paired with older men, and I find that a little more jarring at times (maybe because I feel sorry for the girl paired with Rick Perry? I don't know how she fakes the enthusiasm. If she were dancing with the late Paul Newman, I'd probably think that was amazing). 

I suspect the reason most of the dancers are on the more youthful side (without being teenagers) is that they are in top physical condition right now to handle the schedule (they not only have to teach and perform, but also have to perform in the group dances that come later in the season). 

The only thing I find strange about Artem dancing with Marcia Brady is that Marcia acts like meeting Artem is the greatest thing to ever happen in her life....but after looking at her biography, I suppose his kindness to her is a great of fresh air to her.

Edited by bantering

Henner isn't the typical Derek partner assignment

That is what I thought also. He had Little Kim and Ricki Lake which did really seem like a typical partner for him either. Kellie Pickler is more the type.

Why can't they just dance on a regular dance floor? It was hard to see with all those people standing around them.

1 hour ago, Vinyasa said:

I agree but I also accepted a long time ago that most of the voters think otherwise.

35 minutes ago, tessat said:

Kudos to you - Ryan is actually 32 yrs old - born 8/3/1984 - the same year as my son and he's no boy. My son knows that there are consequences to every action and would never cause an incident or embarrass the US team like he did. I'm not even watching the show - but will watch the individual dances on youtube.

My sons are 14 and 12, and they are far more mature than Ryan Lochte. That said, I do think it's disturbing that he got attacked. While I don't want him on the show, he is already on it and that kind of crap doesn't belong on a dance show.

What the heck with that bass line that's a complete ripoff of "Under Pressure"?  How did "Rob" never get sued?

Others have already responded but I'll just add that artists sample pop songs all the time in Hip Hop. It's fairly common - just listen to any P. Diddy produced track. The problem with Vanilla Ice was his stupidly trying to deny that he sampled the song, when it was so blatantly obvious. I mean Under Pressure wasn't some little known track by a couple of no-names - this was freaking David Bowie and Queen. The whole thing was so ridiculous and one more thing that ultimately turned him into the one-hit wonder joke he became to many. 

Either I've been watching this show too long or it's finally coming to its inevitable end because frankly, I was meh about most of last night. The only thing that truly put a smile on my face was Calvin and Lindsay who are just all kinds of adorable together and he and that big, bright smile was so fun to watch. Other than that - whatever.

Laurie was really good - okay and water is wet. Everyone else was average, awful or forgettable. James and Sharna were pretty good but I don't know what she was thinking with that green color for their costumes because he looked a bit leprechauny in that green suit and that kool-aid red hair she has going on seriously clashed with the green of her outfit. I am not touching the Lochte debate. I shared my feelings on that and frankly it's not worth my time or energy. I thought he did okay and showed signs of really developing in the competition and Cheryl is a great Pro for him. I felt bad for her because she's sort of unfairly stuck in the middle of this mess right now, being his Pro. 

Few other observations. When Tom, at the start of the broadcast stated that because of time constraints, after the first couple, only three judges would speak at a time, all I could think was, "well that's more proof of why you all don't need four judges and it is just an unnecessary waste of time, not to mention waste of money since I assume they all get paid." YMMV but I don't think Julianne misunderstood Amber's comment or was being condescending in telling her she is that girl. Amber's "not a princess" comment seemed to be in the vein of she's not the "ladylike, graceful" type and Julianne was simply saying, "no, you are because you were ladylike and gorgeous out there once you relaxed and allowed yourself to let go." And I loved both Julianne and Carrie Ann commenting on how beautiful she is because she really is. I didn't think these comments were meant to be anything but positive and kind. 

Finally, I acknowledge that part of the performance might have been the horrible song they were given because true to DWTS, most of the song choices were awful. That said, Gleb might want to be careful with playing up the sex and passion. Yes he and Jana are gorgeous and sexy together but his first go-round as a Pro, he tried this "sexy leading man" nonsense that only annoyed people. Because he even admitted it in an interview - that he thought that's what the audience would respond to and instead people just found him really annoying. Then his celebrity sucked and they were booted quickly and it took this long for him to be asked back on the show. As others have pointed out, there are the rumors (whether substantiated or not) of him cheating on his wife once before and Jana, dear lord at 32 is on her third husband and third separation. They are the LAST pairing that should even think about going the showmance route, no matter how good physically, they look together. 

I agree but I also accepted a long time ago that most of the voters think otherwise.

Not necessarily because if they did, the best technical dancer would win everytime and we all know that traditionally, that is the rarely the case with the show. So I'd say voters care very much for a journey and growth on this show.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I suspect Ryan Lochte was mature at 12 or 14 or  later at 22 and 24 (not necessarily intellectually bright or academically intelligent but mature in terms of conforming to the kind of rigid schedule expected of athletes at his level). Maybe the gruelling training and having to conform to a rigid schedule makes some of the athletes regress and get up to stupid things as a release. That's not a defence or an excuse, just more of an observation of how someone might land into this kind of trouble.  Many of them seem to  release themselves in terms of partying right after their events are over. A lot of highly skilled achievers usually wind up screwing up somewhere. Over the course of a whole lifetime, very few of them lead a life that's completely immaturity-free in some aspect of their lives that is outside of training.  

I don't think Lochte should have embellished his story, particularly on the international stage and I do think he violated certain rules that were written down in the US Olympic handbook (or at least that's how they're making it seem) and I do think he was really dumb for giving an interview while he was not completely sober, but I can also  see anyone, either famous or not famous, especially in today's media age more easily see someone landing into the kind of trouble  Lochte did than whatever it was Andy Dick was up to.  I think Lochte's troubles are easier to fathom or make sense of, imo, than Andy Dick running around constantly exposing himself to people.  

Edited by bantering

When Tom, at the start of the broadcast stated that because of time constraints, after the first couple, only three judges would speak at a time, all I could think was, "well that's more proof of why you all don't need four judges and it is just an unnecessary waste of time, not to mention waste of money since I assume they all get paid.

Exactly! Why do they need a judge who is not giving comments but then gives a score?

Just keep CA, Len and Bruno.

• Love 6

If they were trying to make me feel bad for Lochte, it worked. The guy made some dumb mistakes, and then even more stupidly tried to cover it up, but I don’t feel like he needs to be punished for a lifetime over it.

Minor bit of disagreement here with Kim Reed.

"A month later" isn't really the same thing as "for a lifetime". If this were a year later, I might agree. If this were several years later, unless he did something equally as boneheaded in the interval, I'd definitely agree. But a mere month later?

He still deserves his full share of scorn. If a wound is barely over bleeding, it isn't healed enough to declare it a former wound.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Okay, does anyone else miss the voice over that used to announce each couple and the dance that they are about to perform? "Dancing the Cha-cha-cha...Laurie Hernandez and her partner, Valentin Chmerkovskiy..."

I kinda do. 

I totally do.  For some reason, they stopped doing it after season eighteen.  I wonder what happened there to make them stop?  As far as I know, there's been no explanation for dropping it.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I know that when I heard he was cast on the show, I was pissed off and wanted to "protest" the show by not watching.  Yes, DWTS is just a fluffy tv show, but it's a high-paying, high-profile gig that usually goes to Olympians who made the country proud.  Didn't Laurie say something like the show was part of her victory lap?  Ryan Lochte gets a congratulatory victory lap for his deplorable behavior?  Yes, because DWTS loves the attention/ratings, and Ryan wants a "fresh start."  It's a blatant and unabashed attempt to rehab his image, which I think is gross and incredibly self-serving, much like when Paula Deen appeared on the show after her n-word scandal and kept trotting out her granddaughter to show a more likeable and sympathetic persona.  It's a PR stunt, and I see right through it.  I would never pull off a stunt like these protesters did, but I understand their anger that Ryan's on the show.  Especially since it's only been three weeks since the incident!  Ryan said he wants to show people he's "changed."  Really?  You've changed in three weeks?  Is it his character that he wants to change, or people's perception of him?  

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 13

To be fair, Lochte signed up for the show prior to Rio. I think DWTS was expecting Rick Perry to be the "controversial" contestant this season.

I found last night's show kind of... dull? The only people who really stood out to me were Laurie (duh), James, and Calvin, and I can barely remember anyone else's routines the next day. I was expecting more out of Amber and she seemed really graceful, but she looked terrified out there.

Edited by Scovies
  • Love 2

For years Mark Ballas has been criticized for out-dancing his partners, but to my eyes Cheryl does the same thing. She twirls around her partner while he stands there like a pole and she does all the work. But she gets away with it because her partners are male so all they're really supposed to do is provide the frame. I actually thought Ryan had a very good frame but did very little in the way of dancing because Cheryl didn't give him enough content for me to judge whether he was any good or not.

For all the pre-season griping about Marilu being a "ringer" I don't think she's going to win. Her jive wasn't that impressive and she was kind of stiff and cautious like most competitors her age tend to be on this show. I actually thought Maureen showed more fluidity and flexibility, so I thought the scores were wonky. 

I think Babyface, Calvin and James will go far but nobody will catch Laurie. Nobody was awful except for Rick Perry but there seems to be a lot of also-rans and few real contenders.

What is wrong with Maks and Val? Such handsome men but they can never seem to get their hair quite right.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Okay, does anyone else miss the voice over that used to announce each couple and the dance that they are about to perform? "Dancing the Cha-cha-cha...Laurie Hernandez and her partner, Valentin Chmerkovskiy..."

I kinda do. 

yes, especially since they are allowed so many liberties with the choreo (and everyone boos Len when he points out the obvious), and those current songs are sometimes a very questionable fit for a certain dance... I need to know at least what they think they are dancing.

lol

I think Louis Van Amstel tweeted, that only Val and Derek did proper choreography, the rest were way too "liberal"

I remember watching the football player after Marilu and thinking: here's a sign of hiding a not a very good dancer... half of a very short song was wasted on walking and taking off clothes...

• Love 4

The other controversial contestants had plenty of time between being on the show and their "incidents".  You can even see the disparity this season to how the media has treated Jake T. Austin (arrested 2013/2014) and Ryan Lochte.

Paula's big racist scandal went down around 2013, she was on the show in 2015.  Bristol gave birth in 2008, she was on the show in 2010.  Kendra was on the show in 2011 after she married Hank in 2009 and got out of the Playboy Mansion.  Tom DeLay was indicted in 2005 and was on the show in 2009.  The multiple washed up druggie actors have been on the show in the twilight of their careers years after all the major scandals.

Lochte would have been much better served to wait until the Spring season or next Fall if it was about image rehabilitation.  We all know the chances of him going to Tokyo are low anyways, so the bleeting that he has to do it now to keep training is lip service at best.

Edited by Saytura
  • Love 6

IMHO, but the hate-watch casting of this show over the past several seasons has finally bit ABC and the DWTS production group in the ass. To say that the entire group is damn lucky that the guys who rushed the dance floor did not appear to have weapons is an understatement. It hasn't been that many years since Erin Andrews was getting death threats while she danced on DWTS and she was hidden for most of the broadcast as a result.

I also agree with the previous poster who stated that anyone participating in this show should be meeting with ABC's security group today to find out what will be done to prevent an incident like this happening in the future.

One has to wonder if the production group and ABC's brass thinks the ratings bump from Lochte is worth it.

• Love 3

Kate Gosselin was more like Lochte. She was on the show at the height of the paparazzi stalking her, and right after her divorce.  It was really distracting and too much attention was paid to her while she was on the show BECAUSE of the notoriety. She lasted WAY too long and wasn't very good. 

• Love 1

Unlike Kate Gosselin, Lochte is an accomplished swimmer.  I know Rio puts him in an entirely different light, but what did Kate accomplish (other than kids)?

Even Tony has said she was the worst partner and he appears to be a patient guy. Cheryl seems to get along with Ryan.

I do think ABC will do anything for ratings.

• Love 2

To say that the entire group is damn lucky that the guys who rushed the dance floor did not appear to have weapons is an understatement. 

I'm assuming they go thru some sort of metal detector (although I don't know for sure). It's not been reported they had any weapons; I think they were looking for attention more than anything else. They had tickets to the show.

Honestly, I could care less about Ryan Lochte one way or another, but if you're that upset over what he did, maybe it's time to re-evaluate your priorities in life. 

• Love 11

So, DWTS tapes in Los Angeles, but ABC blacked it out for the night so instead we could watch our new (and apparently awful) football team play?  Glad to read about what I missed, but I call foul!

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Missy Vixen said:

IMHO, but the hate-watch casting of this show over the past several seasons has finally bit ABC and the DWTS production group in the ass. To say that the entire group is damn lucky that the guys who rushed the dance floor did not appear to have weapons is an understatement. 

I read today that the audience walks through metal detectors before entering the set, so bringing in a weapon would never happen.  Like others have pointed out, the group had tickets, and simply wore t-shirts covered up by their clothes.  I can't see any way that ABC security could have prevented the stunt.  Maybe by not casting such an asshole three weeks after he did what he did?

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Padma said:

So, DWTS tapes in Los Angeles, but ABC blacked it out for the night so instead we could watch our new (and apparently awful) football team play?  Glad to read about what I missed, but I call foul!

Actually it aired live before the game from 5-7

IMHO, Robert really has no business being in the commentator's booth. Great to see Kym, though.

I'm willing to fanwalk that it was the first "showmance" that actually led to marriage and it's a 'thanks show for matching me up with my now mate!' bit.

Has there been any explanation about the protestors? Outside of the photos, there's been no reason as to why.