Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: Rogue

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

The NCIS team investigates a deadly car explosion in D.C. that connects to NCIS Special Agent Nicholas “Nick” Torres, who disappeared six months ago while on a deep undercover assignment in Argentina. Also, Gibbs asks NCIS Special Agent Alexandra “Alex” Quinn to shadow his team after rejecting eight agents she instructed and referred for the open position.

17 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Fornell to Gibbs:  "You have a doorbell?"

Quite possibly the funniest line ever uttered on this show, and Joe Spano's delivery sold it.

You think they'll spin off Gibbs and Fornell as the next Odd Couple. Hell, I'd watch. I hope Gibbs got more cereal.

• Love 14
22 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

So little Bud is a Captain now!

That's what I said! After yelling "BUUUUUUUUD!!!" when I saw Patrick's name in the credits. And CURSE YOU, Glasberg! Or Corbett! Whichever wrote that scene--I wanted to KNOW what Harm is up to! And Bud better NOT have been starting to say that he and Mac weren't together anymore!

Um...still watching, so will post my thoughts on the episode later.

• Love 8
Just now, anna0852 said:

I missed it. Any mentions of Tony or baby Tali?

There was a moment when McGee talked about not being comfortable at Tony's desk and Bishop tells him that Tony would want him there. Then she did a credible Tony impression.

What a snoozefest for a premiere. Well, it didn't really keep my attention.

I did love seeing BUD! again, and was hoping for more information on how Harm and Mac are doing. I'm hoping that was a tease that maybe we'll get either David James Elliot or/and Catherine Bell to appear, reprising their roles.

I was all set to start a rant on Quinn's not remembering Bishop but then she told McGee she was doing it on purpose to loosen her up.

But the case itself was a big giant snooze.

I did love how Gibbs told Torres how he knew getting revenge didn't work. And dammit, how is it that Mark is still one SEXAY Silver FOX? Sigh...

Um...just lost my train of thought for a minute there.

Oh. Do not like how the previews for next episode are going. That idiot voice over making it sound like those annoying Buzzfeed click bait articles of x did y, and you'll NEVER GUESS what happened NEXT! tone.

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I did love how Gibbs told Torres how he knew getting revenge didn't work. And dammit, how is it that Mark is still one SEXAY Silver FOX? Sigh...

Amen to this. This is why Torres' might work. Could give Harmon some new notes to play. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, marina to said:

I love Quinn. She's going to be a great balance to Gibbs, which has been sorely needed for a while. Not sold on Torres yet but he certainly opens up new story possibilities. Cautiously excited for the season.

I like Quinn, too.  She's like an in-between between Gibbs and McGee. (Shit, I swear, my fingers started to type "Tony."  I miss Tony, even though I do like the new characters and am glad Tim is now SFA.)

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That's what I said! After yelling "BUUUUUUUUD!!!" when I saw Patrick's name in the credits. And CURSE YOU, Glasberg! Or Corbett! Whichever wrote that scene--I wanted to KNOW what Harm is up to! And Bud better NOT have been starting to say that he and Mac weren't together anymore!

Um...still watching, so will post my thoughts on the episode later.

The more pressing question is when did Bud get that much grey hair?!  When did I get that old?  I also want to know how Harriet's doing.

21 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I did love seeing BUD! again, and was hoping for more information on how Harm and Mac are doing. I'm hoping that was a tease that maybe we'll get either David James Elliot or/and Catherine Bell to appear, reprising their roles.

I was all set to start a rant on Quinn's not remembering Bishop but then she told McGee she was doing it on purpose to loosen her up.

But the case itself was a big giant snooze.

Um...just lost my train of thought for a minute there.

Oh. Do not like how the previews for next episode are going. That idiot voice over making it sound like those annoying Buzzfeed click bait articles of x did y, and you'll NEVER GUESS what happened NEXT! tone.

Re: Silver Fox.  Did you see that smile that Mark let loose when Gibbs and Quinn were seated at the table in the break room?  Full on, smile, baby!

Fornell = always awesome

I like Torres, but I agree that it got a bit tedious tonight.  I'm chalking that up to laying the groundwork for the character and developing his backstory.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

I like Torres, but I agree that it got a bit tedious tonight.  I'm chalking that up to laying the groundwork for the character and developing his backstory.

Looks promising.  I wonder how long it's going to take me to stop expecting Danny Reagan to pop up.

• Love 4

This was boring...and a bit hard to follow...I am not a fan of introducing a character with a chip on their shoulder and some wrong to right....it's too much of a trope...

Torres is kinda hot though...which I wasn't expecting...as the actor never did anything for me before...

Jennifer Esposito fit in nicely though..and loved her repartee with Gibbs...

I want Fornell and Gibbs to STAY roomies...I'd watch that show...

A "Tony-less" NCIS has a whole different feel..I missed the movie references and the nicknames...but it's early...there may be some iteration of that....

I love Mark Harmon so I may watch a few more episodes to see how it goes but I may nt make it appointment TV anymore...

• Love 1
2 hours ago, marina to said:

I love Quinn. She's going to be a great balance to Gibbs, which has been sorely needed for a while. Not sold on Torres yet but he certainly opens up new story possibilities. Cautiously excited for the season.

I was expecting to hate the new team, but I really liked both Quinn and Torres.  Their personalities make up for Emily's lack of one.  

Enjoyed the episode but I have to admit that by the end I was thoroughly confused about who did (or didn't?) get stabbed in the opening scene, whose sister was whose, whose daughter was whose, etc. etc.  But I'm old and was doing an acrostic while I watched.

Edited by Albino
  • Love 3

They should have done what they did when Ziva left, have a few episodes with just Gibbs, Mcgee, and Bishop working while showing off a potential fourth agent during each episode, giving us a chance to get used to Tony being gone and get attached to one agent or another before slotting one in. Instead, we got this episode which just threw a couple newly made characters into the team out of nowhere right away while splitting screentime between them keeping either from having a chance to actually be fleshed out enough for us to care.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 2

I stopped watching for awhile because I wasn't a fan of the changes in Tony's character and the "Tiva" push so I decided to check back in tonight.

Loved Fornell living at Gibbs' even though I didn't know why at first. Wonder if he'll milk this bullet wound for all it's worth and if we'll see him for a while.

Other than that I wasn't a huge fan of this episode. Hope now that they've filled out the team a bit it won't be so clunky on the storytelling part.

Then I'll be able to make an educated decision on whether I'll stay with it. And maybe Jennifer and Wilmer's characters with smooth out.

14 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

What happened to the English agent from the end of last season?  I thought he was going to become  part of the team and was looking forward to him!  

Spoiler

He comes back starting in episode 5.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

So little Bud is a Captain now!

We left hIm as a Lieutenant Commander 14 years ago.  Up or out  as in get promoted or beached to give the next class of officers the shot at high rank 

It was a decent premiere... I definitely missed Tony but am willing to give it a go with the new agents. I surprised that I liked Torres as much as I did; I am not much of a Valderrama fan but his character could be good. I am less sold on Quinn-- she was a bit over the top (on the edge of silly) but I like that she is another senior agent more on par with Gibbs. I thought Tim discomfort at taking over Tony's desk was sweet and nice of Bishop to support him. 

JAG callback!! That was great. (Not that I watched all of JAG but as it did give us NCIS it's nice that apparently it's not totally forgotten.) Would have actually liked to get some deets on Harm and Mac but ah well! 

Gibbs and Fornell are, as always, brilliant. I loved Fornell using "we" all episode and the deadpan "you have a doorbell?!"-- just perfect. 

So we get 2 x 1? jesus how much were they paying Michael Wethearly?

It's not often, if ever at all, that my homeland gets brought into any shows, but when it is, boy is it bad.

"Argentinian oil boom". I'm gonna cry myself to sleep on that one.

And lastly, gone but not forgotten: Mike Franks, the dead character that keeps on giving.

Edited by minamurray78
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Fornell to Gibbs:  "You have a doorbell?"

Quite possibly the funniest line ever uttered on this show, and Joe Spano's delivery sold it.

I laughed right out loud. But I place it second behind Fornell's delivery of "The Lord wept." when they learned that Diane was a federal agent. :-)

• Love 4

At first look the new characters were ok..the whole episode felt rushed though.  McGee and Bishop are still playing secondary roles (which says a lot).  It really seemed like it would have been better as a 2 parter.  Then they are adding the MI-6 dude later this season...will they have enough screen time for everyone?

I enjoyed it. So far I like the two new agents better than I liked Bishop in her first entire season. (I've gotten used to her now.) I agree that their intros were rushed, but I think they wanted to make it clear: This is a new NCIS.  They're not just replacing Tony. They're changing the dynamic, for better or worse. I love the show, and I'm willing to give them time to work out the kinks and find their new flow.

Damn, I hope Fornell stays. That bromance makes me ridiculously happy. But poor Jethro doesn't even get to sleep on that new couch. 

I think my favorite new character is the new sofa. Or maybe the doorbell.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, paulusar said:

I tried to watch "Bull" after NCIS. It was very annoying and I turned it off after 5 mins. I hope Tony can get back to NCIS after it gets cancelled.

DH and I also tried to watch it but turned it off.  We had already watched both NCIS's and a third hour of drama just wasn't needed; I like Michael Weatherly very well but didn't like this character at all.

• Love 3

I liked both new characters well enough.  They need to tone down the Mary Sue-ness of Torres a skosh though.  I am getting flashes of Ziva in his characterization already (special connection with Gibbs, super combat fighter and shooter).  Back off of that and he will be a great addition.   I know they can do it.  Bishop started off too Mary Sue-ish in season 11 and they backed off of it and it did wonders for her character

I also liked Quinn.  It seems, though, with her addition McGee will be the Senior Field Agent in name only.  I actually think that is a good thing as Sean Murray is a low energy actor and I think the show works better with less McGee.   Having McGee be the de facto field agent in seasons 12 and 13 while Tony was more of a background player was one of the many problems with those seasons.  

Quinn articulated why I like Bishop so much.  She didn't come in the most natural field agent but she has learned from her mistakes and more than that she has shown a willingness to be taught and mentored

Edited by camussie
  • Love 2

CBS | Despite solid reader reviews (average grade “B+”), NCIS (15.6 mil/2.1) opened Season 14 down from both a year ago (18.2 mil/2.5) and its May finale (18 mil/2.6). Michael Weatherly’s Bull (15.5 mil/2.2. average grade “B-“) in turn veritably matched NCIS‘ audience while improving on the demo. Relocated New Orleans (11.1 mil/1.4) was down sharply from its previous premiere (12.6 mil/1.7) and finale (13.3 mil/1.8), but improved on Limitless‘ Season 1 average (7 mil/1.3) in the time slot.

Ratings

• Love 2

I'm glad I like the new characters, and will probably like them even more when the "Mary Sue" wears off.  As for the rest of Tues. night, that's a dead loss.  "Bull" didn't cut it, not at all.  I wasn't a Tony fan, and the Bull character......just no. NCIS: NOLO has made cast changes I just don't like, and since it's moved to 10 PM, it's just not worth it anymore.

ETA: Thanks for the ratings info Ohmo.  I think some of last night's numbers were curiosity about Bull.  I wonder how it will do next week, or maybe a few weeks into the season.  Same for NCIS, once the audience becomes accustomed to the new cast.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 2

I'm surprised how much I liked Quinn. Esposito managed to infuse the character with more life in one episode than during her whole run on Blue Bloods (it probably helps that on this show characters not named Reagan are allowed to have a personality). She's got great (non-shipping) chemistry with Harmon. If I can't have agent Borin she'll do just fine.

Fornell hogging the new couch was great and I agree the doorbell line was pure genius.

• Love 9

This is what I thought.  I wish I could comment on the episode, but Fez didn't hold my attention and I couldn't even watch a complete scene with the woman character, she seemed so loudly out of place.  Maybe I'll catch it in reruns, but NCIS was getting a little tired for me even before this season.  And the actor playing McGee looks ill and thin again, even though it was confirmed previously that his weight loss was deliberate.  I like Michael Weatherly, but I hate Dr. Phil, so I couldn't bring myself to watch Bull either.

• Love 2

I have to say, I found Wilmer Valderrama far more charming than I expected to.  As I understand it, he is a bit of a sleaze in real life, so I was prepared to hate him on my screen.  I didn't hate him.  But I think his character is waaaaay too intense.  They need to back that off a skosh.

And speaking of backing off on intensity, they also need to back off Jennifer Esposito's characters quirkiness.  Tone Quinn down a little will go a long ways to making her more believable.  But she and Mark Harmon did have amazing (non-romantic) chemistry together, and it is clear that Gibbs respects Quinn and vice versa.  I want to see how all this plays out.

I'm telling myself that all the extra intensity in the new characters was pretty much because this is essentially the pilot for NCIS3.0, and pilots are always extra frenetic and intense because there's all that exposition and characterizations that have to happen quickly so the audience catches on to the show.  Hopefully a few shows in the writers will have calmed down over these new people they're writing for and about and we'll settle in to something less fraught.

So good to see Bud, that was a nice nod to the JAG roots of NCIS.

I know people want to see Borin as a regular on the mothership here, but I'd much rather see Borin down in the NOLA spinoff. 

I liked it well enough. It amuses me that Gibbs has gone from a loner who slept on his couch, to providing a hostel for in-transition colleagues. He was very smiley this episode. Nothing wrong with that smile.

I haven't tried Bull yet - but don't expect to like it much as it's based on Dr. Phil's past career. That taints it from the get-go for me.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I know people want to see Borin as a regular on the mothership here, but I'd much rather see Borin down in the NOLA spinoff. 

Honestly, at this point I'd take her wherever I could get her. Too bad she's not likely to show up on any of the NCIS incarnations, least of all NOLA.

• Love 4