Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Talking Points Toward a Wholistic View of Activism in Government: Can the Top Rebel? / S01.E13: The End of All We Hold Dear: What Happens When Democracies Fail: A Brief Synopsis

Laurel seeks Luke's help after discovering that a senate bill is not what it appears; Red and Ella square off in an effort to control the bug agenda. Later, Laurel questions whether she's cut out for life in Washington, D.C.

In the season finale, Laurel uncovers a way to drive the bugs from peoples' brains and tests it on her father.

I'm good with this being a one-off. Don't get me wrong -- I loved nearly every minute of it, but some things perhaps are better if they don't go on too long (Heroes, I'm looking at you!). 

I did have to laugh when Intern Gary randomly and accidentally stepped on the queen aliant, though.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'm good with this being a one-off. Don't get me wrong -- I loved nearly every minute of it, but some things perhaps are better if they don't go on too long (Heroes, I'm looking at you!). 

I did have to laugh when Intern Gary randomly and accidentally stepped on the queen aliant, though.

It had a nice open ending either way.

• Love 1

I can see where they could have left it open for a sequel of sorts; anthology style, with the aliants attacking the world via another means. I think we've seen the last of Laurel and Gareth, sadly (I loved their characters), but I can see where Luke, Rochelle, and Gustav could be involved. Especially Gustav, given this finale's reveal. (I did not see that coming, but it is very fitting).

Either way, I'm happy. This was a show that had a pretty clear story and was uncompromising, well plotted and paced, and just enjoyable all around.

• Love 3

I've loved watching this - such good writing and acting, and it seemed like everyone was having fun.   Perfect summer tv watching.   I especially liked the first of tonight's episodes - I laughed out loud during the first committee session, especially.  I have to admit that I assumed that Gustav had made his own NSA credential, although it being real works too. 

I can't imagine a second season, given how good this one was.  I remember how disappointed I was in the second season of True Detective, even though it was good on its own terms, just because I had liked the first one so much.  I'd hate to see that happen here. 

• Love 2

I thoroughly enjoyed this show & am ok with a One & Done.  Most of the shows I really like get cancelled halfway through and I never get a wrap up.

The lead, Mary Elizabeth W?, is so good.  I'll look for her in other stuff.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

And it was only fair that Gary killed the queen, since the bugs made Red kill the other two interns.

41 minutes ago, Cthulhudrew said:

I can see where they could have left it open for a sequel of sorts; anthology style, with the aliants attacking the world via another means. I think we've seen the last of Laurel and Gareth, sadly (I loved their characters), but I can see where Luke, Rochelle, and Gustav could be involved. Especially Gustav, given this finale's reveal. (I did not see that coming, but it is very fitting).

Either way, I'm happy. This was a show that had a pretty clear story and was uncompromising, well plotted and paced, and just enjoyable all around.

I'd be happy with a season 2 that only retained the character of Gustav. But I could also imagine Laurel needing to relocate for her documentary work, and Gareth following — unless the zero versus 5 or 6 kids was supposed to imply that they do not stay together. BTW, cutely ironic when they both said "I think I love you" like the aliant song.

ETA: I'm not totally convinced Gustav is really NSA.

The scene with the cops and Gustav keeping his hands up and telling Rochelle, "I know how to be black," managed to be both chilling and amusing.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

Did anyone notice that Ella, a sitting US Senator, was dead?

Those Senate offices must be soundproof.

Is there a write-in category for Emmy Awards for best episode intros? This show took it.  I love how they worked him into the plot, too.  And he got rather pointed about the political process in the final scenes, too.

Judging from the pile of aliants in the Wheatus office, a whole lot of DC was infected.

• Love 3

I also absolutely adored the intro to the final episode -- some random passer-by dropping money in the singer's coffee, Gustav chasing him from the area outside the apartment... It was brilliant.

Good point above about it being fitting that Intern Gary killed the queen since we lost other interns to the aliants.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

...Is there a write-in category for Emmy Awards for best episode intros? This show took it.  I love how they worked him into the plot, too.  And he got rather pointed about the political process in the final scenes, too....

I did some Googling, and Manhattan won Main Title Design for 2015, but I'm not sure the Braindead "previously" songs would be considered to be part of that. Anyway, the cutoff dates for inclusion for the 2016 Emmys is June 1, 2015 - May 31, 2016, so it would have to be for the 2017 awards.

2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

7 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

...Did anyone notice that Ella, a sitting US Senator, was dead?  

Those Senate offices must be soundproof.

Plus, most of the staff were deaf in one ear or listening to The Cars on their earbuds.

• Love 3

There wasn't a big satirical finish, but the vapid call for bipartisanship prevented that. Really, how do you have a genuine, worthwhile politics where both official parties have the same plans for war? Or both parties plan to regress society, abolishing or circumventing all the gains of the New Deal and the Great Society in the interest of the wealthy? Nonetheless, the range of permissible opinions is so narrow that even this mild deviation was very amusing, and the series worthwhile. 

I thought the elevation of Gustav's status so that he was suitable for Rochelle was very clear on the importance of the guy's prestige for a woman's love. The impending breakup of Laurel/Gareth over the issue of children was so very apt. That, unlike war against the world, is not an issue you can compromise on. Red's continued triumphant rule over Washington showed how trivial killings by politicians (especially given they mostly kill foreigners) are no obstacle to love and admiration. On the other hand, the contemptuous dismissal of Luke demonstrates that marital infidelity really is, unlike murder, unforgivable. Ditto Daddy Healy lying comatose in a hospital bed, conspicuously unlike the other aliant victims who had not been so irremediably evil as to cheat on their wives. I suppose there's a chance this is all bleak dramatic irony, but I suspect not.

The new queen flying into the camera symbolized the Kings' hopes for more, but it's not happening, ratings. Can't see a second season doing anything better or developing new thematic material, though. 

• Love 1

I have to say that one of my favorite scenes ever was the attempted stabbing of Gareth, with opera playing over it. OMG.  Brilliant!  Scary and funny at the same time. 

Ella's thrilled, and sees it as a chance for her side to finally take over. In keeping with this, she dispatches a young opera fan to murder Gareth. What ensues is — and I can't stress how much I loved this — a murder ballet. Gareth is pursued through the columns of the Capitol as opera music swells, thunder rolls, and lightning crashes, in a fight that's one part fight choreography and one part actual choreography. It is weird and delightful, down to the actual dagger that nearly stabs Gareth and the melodramatic tumble down the marble stairs.  Excerpt from Vulture's recap

• Love 5

I was a little less than thrilled by the abrupt and anticlimactic ending, but really enjoyed the show overall in all its quirky gloriousness. I don't mind it being one-and-done but wouldn't mind some sort of anthology-like series, where the Kings brought this kind of wacky magic to some other setting. 

• Love 1

I liked earlier episodes Gustav better.  I was rooting for Rochelle to give him a chance but with the upgraded version, there's no need.   

And the bug stuff, while amusing never really made much sense.  At least they won't have to backtrack and try to fill the plot holes if this is it.  I enjoyed every episode and would watch a second season but am okay with a standalone.  (Unlike "You, Me and the Apocalypse", which was equally quirky but ended on a cliffhanger.)  

This has been a good couple of years for short, fill-in series.  

• Love 4

My BS meter redlined when Rochelle talked about shame being the deepest, most primal emotion. It may be a uniquely human one that separates us from animals, but I'd say fear is the most basic, primal emotion, with anger and love rivaling it for strength of feeling (as both of those can overpower the self-preservation instinct in some situations).

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

My BS meter redlined when Rochelle talked about shame being the deepest, most primal emotion. It may be a uniquely human one that separates us from animals, but I'd say fear is the most basic, primal emotion, with anger and love rivaling it for strength of feeling (as both of those can overpower the self-preservation instinct in some situations).

Animals feel fear and agression; domesticated animals are more loyal (love?) than many humans. So shame might be "the deepest, most primal emotion." I could research it.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Thumbs up on both. Other 'extended' shows such as the Dome rapidly became pointless; this one knew when to say goodbye.

I had great fun watching this......

13 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

Did anyone notice that Ella, a sitting US Senator, was dead?  

Are you sure? Maybe she's just pining for the fiords...
 Or like Strom Thurmond or Harry Byrd, no one was sure if they were still alive or not.

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The scene with the cops and Gustav keeping his hands up and telling Rochelle, "I know how to be black," managed to be both chilling and amusing.

And the cop attitude was dead-on. See Photography is Not a Crime for real examples. Cops hate cameras.

Kudos to the writers for knowing DC is a one-party jurisdiction vs, Maryland...but irrelevant as, unlike Linda Tripp it was not covert.

Edited by Syme
  • Love 5

I have been thinking about how almost every loose end was tied up, a lot through the singer and small scenes. I think they had loose plot threads that they planned to develop later and just solved them for the viewers - Ella missing, just no time, the baby was something I thought would grow into something else but boom solved - they shamed the baby without filming a new scene. But I think sending Luke to Wall Street was kind of a reward that most office holders take and not because of his philandering. If he was punished for anything, it was working hard to do the right thing, that kind of stuff is always a losing battle, not appreciated by the public or TPTB.  It could have been a funny take of the next  financial break down many of us are expecting, should the worlds align and they get renewed. But wither way it was a great way to cobble together a sort of end. 

I have been telling us this show had the only explanation on the merger of the two party system with all the hate and bitterness in its followers. Only I don't think it is the extreme right and left, just the extreme right and extreme middle. heh.  But seriously doesn't this perfectly explain this election? There is really no other excuse.  I liked how it only needed to be a few aliants to get the job done. everyone else just goes along. There was a lot of subtle wisdom here. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, holly4755 said:

There was a lot of subtle wisdom here. 

Including the fact that non-political conflicts usually prevail in relationships [zero vs six kids...]

Edited by Syme
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, k1ptog2 said:

The lead is also the lead on PBS' Mercy Street

I would so rather get another season of BrainDead than another season of Mercy Street (which I know is already on its way). Sigh.

That said, this was a nice finale. I wondered if maybe they reshot the final scene/ song once they realized it wasn't getting renewed, because I do think the Kings said they had a multi-season plan, and this felt like a lot of closure for a potentially ongoing series.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

That was the funniest line of the entire season (sadly). Great delivery too.

• Love 6

I think it tied up nicely since we are pretty sure this will be all. Tony Shaloub was perfect, him messing up words and needing help finishing sentences. OMG I love Gustav even more. Getting freaked out seeing the FBI guy and not being able to open the door. And the I know how to be black, I know some may take offense but I thought it was hilarious. Bet summer show I have watched in quite some time!

• Love 3

This was a perfect summer show. I don't really care if there's no second season (and I don't think there's much danger given the ratings; hey, I tried to evangelize, but if "alien bugs eat politicians' brains and take over DC and also Jonathan Coulton sings a new intro every week" doesn't win you over I don't know what will), but I hope the Kings do something next year between their Good Wife-spinoff-whatever-it-is show. The only other show I liked this summer was Stranger Things, and that's not TV TV.

• Love 2

Gary the Intern giving the queen the deathblow (accidentally) totally took me surprise and he me laughing for the longest.  Brilliant!

If this is truly the end, I'm glad they at least gave it a decent wrap-up, with these particular alienants getting defeated, and D.C. cleared out, only now almost all the politicians only have half of a brain, so that's why we're still screwed.  I loved the bit with the credit singer singing that Red still got elected twice again, even though he barely seemed coherent in his final bit.  Because sometimes I do feel like certain politicians just keep getting elected over and over again, even though they are clearly past their prime.  Because voters either don't want to change the status quo or are just set in their ways.

The sit-in and them streaming it over a phone was topical, because there was an actual sit-in where the Democrats had to do that.

Gustav and Rochelle getting pulled over was another case of finding a good way to touch on a real-life issue that is still a problem.  Gustav being the NSA was nuts.  For a second, I thought it was going to be revealed that was a fake ID also, but it sounds like it's legit.  Really wish we got more Gustav.

Laurel and Gareth are still together, but are now dealing with another classic issue: one wants children, while the other one doesn't!  

Luke is now on Wall Street, and I'm guessing seeing that other queen bug is a sign that if this show does somehow get renewed, Wall Street could be its next subject matter.

Opening narration singer getting to actually show up in person for the finale (even having Gustav telling him to knock it off) was a nice touch.  I have a whole list of shows that could vastly be improved if this guy recapped (seriously, send him to Zoo.  I can only imagine what he would do to that batshit insanity.) 

Overall, while not a perfect show, it was way better then I ever thought it would be, and managed to be hilarious a lot of times, but also had a decent grasp on some of the issues that are going on now.  And I pretty much enjoyed all the characters and actors, which is rare.  Tony Shaloub was a blast, Danny Pino and Aaron Tveit were spot-on, really can't wait to see more of Nikki M. James and Johnny Ray Gill in other projects, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead was close to perfection, and one of my favorite network tv leads in quite some time.  I will miss it if it goes, but I'm glad we at least got a full season.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, Syme said:
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:09 AM, shapeshifter said:

And the cop attitude was dead-on. See Photography is Not a Crime for real examples. Cops hate cameras.

I don't know about the Alienantverse, but that cop would have been chewed out by his Police Chief.

10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

The sit-in and them streaming it over a phone was topical, because there was an actual sit-in where the Democrats had to do that.

Gustav and Rochelle getting pulled over was another case of finding a good way to touch on a real-life issue that is still a problem.  Gustav being the NSA was nuts.  For a second, I thought it was going to be revealed that was a fake ID also, but it sounds like it's legit.

No question the Kings got the sit-in idea from last May. They also dealt with police interaction quite deftly, quickly, and with a happier resolution.

I complained about the Alienants getting the wins and the plots meandering. The two-episode finale took care of that. I did cheer when Ella's queen was killed, until I realized oh fuck Red is back to full strength. I was also a bit disappointed that the salt scheme failed.

Red's Queen getting squished made the season. It does sound like we were going to get resolution like this if/when there are future seasons. I agree that it avoided the trap that Heroes, Under the Dome, and Zoo found themselves with a hit series, with the inability to end a plot with a season, especially where there was no more plot.

Intro Guy at the beginning and end was perfect. Can he go with Mary Elizabeth to Mercy Street? Heck, can he do other shows?

(Or Intro Guy doing a mashup with the Galavant cast?)

• Love 3

I just had another thought about that last scene with Laurel and Gareth, with her wanting no kids and him eagerly wanting a half dozen or more:  it's typical of politicians to pursue costly, feel-good programs for which they themselves never have to pay a price. Who would be bearing and caring for all of those children, do you think? Relevant to the last take. Kudos!

• Love 1

Finally watched the finale. Really loved this show, and happy it had a pretty conclusive ending since there's no way it'll get picked up.

Jonathan Coulton was brilliant with the recap songs, I grew to really love Luke once he realized what was going on, and Red was a really awesome villain for this show. It will be missed, but count me among those that are content with one season

• Love 2

The only person who suffered from brain damage was the cheating Dad. And Red was a hero, hence his happy ending. Lest we forget, he was more or less an incompetent drunk before the aliants. It was they who made him competent in the first place. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, sjohnson said:

The only person who suffered from brain damage was the cheating Dad. And Red was a hero, hence his happy ending. Lest we forget, he was more or less an incompetent drunk before the aliants. It was they who made him competent in the first place. 

While the show kind of glossed over it with Red being shown as a "hero" he's still clearly been left mentally impaired by the bugs, even relative to the lazy drunk he was shown to be before the bugs got him. Which is what Laurel was told would happen to all of the infected if she did get rid of the bugs, that her friend wouldn't come back if they got rid of the bugs, she'd just be a brain damaged shell of her former self.

So we're still left with an ending where Luke's wife (and possibly their child), Laurel's reporter friend, CIA love interest, the OB/GYN, ect ... are all left mentally handicapped for the rest of their lives and probably aren't going to be seen by society at large as some sort of folksy hero for it.

The show, for it's sometimes biting satire, was pretty light, so they can't really deal with those ramifications in 2 minutes at the end while expanding on Laurel and Gareth's relationship and Luke's new job. But after watching what Alzheimer's and dementia did to my grandmother I've always considered being left a confused and diminished shell of yourself to be an absolutely awful fate to befall anyone. Seeing it played as a sort of joke with Red was pretty harsh for me, in some ways harsher than if the infected had simply died.

• Love 2

We enjoyed this show and will miss it.(this is one of only a few shows that my husband will actually watch with me)  It reminds of Orphan Black.  A weird mix of sci fi, drama, mystery, humour with mostly good acting, a convoluted storyline with lots of holes that just seem to get glossed over.  I didn't know how they would continue past S1 of Orphan Black but they did, mind you it went off the rails S3 but S4 came back really strong.  Plus we LOVE Tony Shaloub and we want a show to watch him in.  I hope this show can come back somehow, it had a lot of good to build on.

It was pretty bad that no one seemed to miss Ella though.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

While the show kind of glossed over it with Red being shown as a "hero" he's still clearly been left mentally impaired by the bugs, even relative to the lazy drunk he was shown to be before the bugs got him. Which is what Laurel was told would happen to all of the infected if she did get rid of the bugs, that her friend wouldn't come back if they got rid of the bugs, she'd just be a brain damaged shell of her former self.

So we're still left with an ending where Luke's wife (and possibly their child), Laurel's reporter friend, CIA love interest, the OB/GYN, ect ... are all left mentally handicapped for the rest of their lives and probably aren't going to be seen by society at large as some sort of folksy hero for it.

The show, for it's sometimes biting satire, was pretty light, so they can't really deal with those ramifications in 2 minutes at the end while expanding on Laurel and Gareth's relationship and Luke's new job. But after watching what Alzheimer's and dementia did to my grandmother I've always considered being left a confused and diminished shell of yourself to be an absolutely awful fate to befall anyone. Seeing it played as a sort of joke with Red was pretty harsh for me, in some ways harsher than if the infected had simply died.

I keep pondering explanations for this that could lighten things up. One, mentioned either upthread or in an earlier thread, was that the infected friend who claimed the original personality was gone was not being truthful, but rather threatening Laurel. Still, seeing brains leaking doesn't mean nothing is missing. And, unlike the liver, brains do not grow back. But I have heard on NPR or read in the NY Times some discussion of part of the brain taking over when another part is damaged. Assuming the brain wasn't too damaged by alcohol or other disease, this could work. I managed in just 3 months to grow back the 75% of my liver that was removed due to cancer tumors because it was otherwise healthy, being a non-drinker and health food nut.  So I'm clinging to the explanation that within a few months the healthy sides of their brains will have "learned" to perform tasks usually done by the other side, as much as I am clinging to hope that Netflix or some other entity will pick up this show.

• Love 3
On 9/12/2016 at 9:28 AM, Syme said:

Or like Strom Thurmond or Harry Byrd, no one was sure if they were still alive or not.

Robert Byrd or Harry Reid?

On 9/13/2016 at 5:06 PM, chitowngirl said:

Has Laurel worn any clothing that was not black & white? I really loved her outfits.

I did too.  She wore a blue and white sweater and blue jeans in the first episode of this when she was talking with Gustav and Rochelle.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Robert Byrd or Harry Reid?

I did too.  She wore a blue and white sweater and blue jeans in the first episode of this when she was talking with Gustav and Rochelle.

[Byrd]

Sigh, I guess the alientants got to me too....

Could you speak up please?

• Love 2

Two items of incredible importance:

1)  Brooke Adams did the eye thing in the last shot of her sitting as head of the committee

2)  I spent all week on telecons with guys from the greater Chesapeake Bay region - Tony Shaloub's accent for Red Wheatus was accurate!

Stay away from the cherry blossoms!

• Love 1