Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: I Know What You Did Last Saturday

Jeff returns from Chicago with an increase in clients. Also, Jeff suspects that Gage's assistant might be departing, and the pressure of living in a house under construction takes its toll on Jeff and his relationship.

Oh, Jeff.  I'm not quite as old as Zoila, but, if you want to hire me to be your housekeeper, but hire someone to do the actual work, provide me with housing in one of your beautiful houses, feed me and provide me with a salary, I will gladly take on the arduous task of picking up lunch.  Just fire the entitled bitch.

• Love 9

Woof. This was a rough one, guys. Maybe the most crying since the episode when Monkey died? Matt, Vanina, Zoila, Gage (who I didn't think looked like he was crying at Matt's goodbye dinner but Jeff said he was so maybe). 

Jeff and Gage both spoke so glowingly of Matt, I thought if he ever wanted to leave they would throw a whole bunch of $$$ at him to get him to stay. Poor Gage lost his buddy. BUMMER CITY.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Princess Kelbop said:

Jeff and Gage both spoke so glowingly of Matt, I thought if he ever wanted to leave they would throw a whole bunch of $$$ at him to get him to stay. Poor Gage lost his buddy. BUMMER CITY.

As interesting, talented and entertaining as Jeff might be his business is small beans in the LA real estate development/flipping business, Matt probably went to a company doing much larger and more frequent deals and Jeff just could not afford to meet a comparable salary. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to someone doing properties at least twice as large as Jeff on average and for investors, not demanding individual clients.

Which is probably why the split was so amiable, Matt is now both a resource and enticement for the talent he needs to attract for a business which needs good talent but really isn't competing on the upper end in LA.  

• Love 1

I think that Jeff was out of line to call out Matt in front of everyone for hanging out with Chad & his friends. It's evident that the work/friend/family lines are pretty gray at Jeff Lewis Design. So, when Matt said it didn't even occur to him that hanging out with a client would be a problem, I think that's completely understandable. I also don't understand the expectation that they all have to work on Saturdays. As far as I know, I don't think they get Mondays off so they are expected to work 6 days a week. Who would want to do that if they don't have to? I would imagine that Matt probably took a job where he only has to work Monday - Friday.

I'm confused why Jeff & Gage couldn't leave for the airport until Zoila got back? Jeff told her he couldn't leave unless he knew she was there. Why?

I can't stand Zoila and can't believe Jeff has put up with her for as long as he has, but I did feel a little bad for her this episode. I think Jenni is exactly right about Zoila's age being the root of her problem. I think Zoila would really just like to retire. I don't blame her. I certainly hope to be retired by 67. But because of the close relationship with Jeff, I think she doesn't feel like she can leave him. I think the kindest thing Jeff could do would be to just let her go already. (As a bonus, she would be off my tv.)

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 6

I totally get why Jeff needs Zoila there before he leaves. I hope she's gone for good. No matter how much Jeff loves her she is the household manager and has responsibilities. Jeff has taken most of the heavy work away and now she's too good to get lunch? 

• Love 4

Jeff mentioned on a podcast that he has fired employees before for socializing with clients. In this case, Jeff is right. Chaz Deen is a major long-term client. It has been reported on the Internet that Matt went back to work for the Kardashians. 

People who work in design do work on Saturdays. It comes with the position. I believe that they put in long days but I don't know if they work 6 days a week. 

Zoila has threatened to quit many times. Jeff should accept her resignation. 

Edited by Showthyme
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Showthyme said:

Jeff mentioned on a podcast that he has fired employees before for socializing with clients. In this case, Jeff is right. Chaz Deen is a major long-term client. It has been reported on the Internet that Matt went back to work for the Kardashians. 

Yes, he actually appeared in an episode a few weeks back and made me wonder what on Earth I was seeing. I think they billed him as Kris' assistant. (They showed him holding her purse.)

• Love 3

A bag of cocaine?? 

I think I noticed the cat playing with a thin bag that looked like it came out of the bag that had carried their lunch.  I didn't notice any stray cocaine though,  lol. 

I'm sort of shocked that Matt, who seems smart and a hard worker and I'm sure could work at some amazing companies,  chooses to be Kris Jenner's assistant.  Didn't Jeff say Matt had worked for Kris in the past? 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

I'm confused why Jeff & Gage couldn't leave for the airport until Zoila got back? Jeff told her he couldn't leave unless he knew she was there. Why?

Zoila is the only employee who lives there, so Jeff & Gage wouldn't leave the home and animals alone overnight not knowing she was back for sure.

8 minutes ago, bblancobrnx said:

Check again...there is clearly a bunch of white powder in the corner of the tied off sandwich baggie. Looks like a bag of coke to me

I've seen lots of dope bags, and known lots of dopeheads. Neither would seem to apply in the Lewis household.

• Love 7

I do agree that no one in that house seems like a cocaine user...just the way the bag was tied with that white substance all tied down in the corner struck me as odd. I rewound several times to take a better look and I just can't imagine what else would be in a bag tied like that

Last ep was so much fun to watch and this was such a downer. Jeff was awful. I know many here think he will be a good father but I disagree. His constant need to be in control and right is more important than other people's needs and feelings. That won't change. 

I felt so bad for Matt getting called out like that at a celebratory dinner. Jeff constantly crosses the line with clients and if he doesn't want his employees to do that he has to set the example or make it a clear rule for his employees to follow. I don't think Matt did anything wrong. If Chaz had invited him I'm sure he would've told Jeff. But Chaz didn't, Matt was just LC's plus one. That's all. And Jeff knew LC and Matt were friends so if he had a problem with it he should've said something to Matt at the onset of their friendship. 

It was interesting that Jeff read Zoila the riot act about admitting she made a mistake about lunch, which was so insignificant as problems go, but he himself would take no ownership of driving Matt, their best employee, away when Vanina said "we drove him away". Vanina was so careful to say "we" when it was clear Jeff was the only one to cause conflict for Matt.

• Love 6

I think Zoila is basically retired.  She's the housekeeper who has a housekeeper, for Gods sake.  I retired in December.  I don't take that to mean I will never have to do ANYTHING ever again.  Jeff houses her, feeds her, and, pays her a salary.  She gets paid to be on the show.  She has to do something.  She lost me seasons ago when she was on tv gloating about being in the US illegally and ignoring notices from INS and not going to scheduled hearings.  She's used to being given whatever she needs.  Unless Jeff fires her, which he never will, she will continue to suck the air out of the room.

• Love 9

It was interesting that Jeff read Zoila the riot act about admitting she made a mistake about lunch, which was so insignificant as problems go, but he himself would take no ownership of driving Matt, their best employee, away when Vanina said "we drove him away". 

This reminds me of Jeff feeling mortally wounded when Chaz Dean said his renovations were going too slowly, and then a few episodes later hanging a "Too slow!" sign by Gage's desk to "remind him to keep the renovations moving" at Valley Vista. I mean, c'mon. 

One thing I will say about Jeff--there are no sacred cows at his office. It doesn't matter if you're sleeping with him or his honorary mother figure or his best friend. Everyone is in the line of fire. 

Edited by Lisin
Fixed it for you :)
  • Love 2

The thing with Zoila is she's not checking the lunch orders when she picks up and is frequently coming home short on food. That is a big deal if someone doesn't have food. Yes, Jeff blows stuff up at the wrong moment, but she has few duties any more and how hard is it to check an order before she leaves the restaurant? The business with her refusing to come back  just shows she thinks she's ultra important.

Spoiler

• Love 4
13 hours ago, John M said:

Matt probably went to a company doing much larger and more frequent deals and Jeff just could not afford to meet a comparable salary. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to someone doing properties at least twice as large as Jeff on average and for investors, not demanding individual clients.

Hate to disappoint you, Matt went to work for Kris Jenner. Not exactly an environment where he will be able to use his design skills or what ever it is he did for Jeff.  She could surely afford to double the salary Jeff was paying him. It usually comes down to money. I'm sure that Jeff is impossible to work for. Aside from having to work 6 days a week, what is his deal with everybody having to eat lunch together. I had a boss who was like that. She wanted everybody to stop what they were doing at noon and go to the conference room for lunch. Except we had to provide our own lunch. I hated that! What if I wanted to get away for an hour, go run errands or meet a friend at a restaurant for lunch? Then you got labeled as not being a team player. Same mentality as Jeff. He is so childish and immature in so many ways. He really doesn't give a rat's ass if any of his employee's have or want a personal life. It's got to be all about him.  

• Love 8

Huh, I figured Jeff plucked someone out of construction management/science degree program as their first job, doesn't seem like there would be many skill overlaps between working for Kris Jenner and overseeing multi-million dollar construction projects.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, John M said:

Huh, I figured Jeff plucked someone out of construction management/science degree program as their first job, doesn't seem like there would be many skill overlaps between working for Kris Jenner and overseeing multi-million dollar construction projects.

I guess I can see it. Matt was a project manager for Jeff. The project managers I have worked with aren't necessarily expected to "subject matter experts" who know how to do the job that needs to be done, they just need to be sure the job gets done. Both Jeff and Kris Jenner (who seems to be a sharp business woman) need someone who they can give a list of ten tasks to and be able to count on that person to make sure the 10 tasks get done--whether they do it themselves or make sure the person who is responsible for the task gets it done.  They both need someone who is organized, smart, and conscientious which Matt seems to be.

• Love 5

I have read  several places that zoila became a citizen in 1996. I don't remember the smirking and ignoring letter from immigration.   I'm not saying it didn't happen, ( this is a TV show that makes a joke about everything.)  I just don't recall those episodes.  

Idk, maybe while people are calling immigration on zoila they can also  call Trump,  he'd love the attention. 

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 3

I'm only repeating what I saw on the show re Zoila's immigration status.  If she didn't mention it, I wouldn't have thought about it. Except when she's on my tv I don't think about Zoila at all.  Plus, if INS goes after her, only she is to blame.

Edited by Bronzedog

I noticed that Jeff said when people's relationships are in trouble they either A - have a baby or B - build a house. I thought to myself, he's doing both! Although it seems to me that both he and Gage are still committed, this isn't the first time he's rattled off a "fact" about people that would apply to his own situation.

As far as Zoila goes, maybe Zoila and Jeff need to redefine their relationship. Zoila seems tired of working and Jeff seems to still want her in his life.  They can have that without the drama of "firing" Zoila. Maybe just give her a small apartment, call her a friend, and let it go at that. Although Jeff probably can't do that because he has huge issues around self-worth and seems to worry a lot about whether or not people really like him or are just using him to see what they can get.

• Love 6

Matt went back to work for Kris Jenner. She probably threw money at him. Plus, Matt's Instagram is full of pics of him with celebs. Seems like a bit of a famewore. So, maybe working with the Kardashians is a perfect fit.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, tvsoothesthespirit said:

I noticed that Jeff said when people's relationships are in trouble they either A - have a baby or B - build a house. I thought to myself, he's doing both! Although it seems to me that both he and Gage are still committed, this isn't the first time he's rattled off a "fact" about people that would apply to his own situation.

As far as Zoila goes, maybe Zoila and Jeff need to redefine their relationship. Zoila seems tired of working and Jeff seems to still want her in his life.  They can have that without the drama of "firing" Zoila. Maybe just give her a small apartment, call her a friend, and let it go at that. Although Jeff probably can't do that because he has huge issues around self-worth and seems to worry a lot about whether or not people really like him or are just using him to see what they can get.

I agree zoila does seem tired of working ,  yes,  while 67 is not 87,  I'm sure she has worked hard  her whole life. That can certainly make a person break down earlier. 

Does zoila live with Jeff? 

I think Jenni is right,  Jeff doesn't want to admit that zoila is getting older. Jeff is a complicated man and I'm sure coming to terms with the idea that his sassy  friend who  he sees as a mother figure is slowing down,  is  hard on him. 

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 3

Although Jeff probably can't do that because he has huge issues around self-worth and seems to worry a lot about whether or not people really like him or are just using him to see what they can get.

Jeff is a complicated man

I don't know if any of you watch RHONY, but earlier this season Bravo did an hour long in-depth profile of one of the cast members, Luann. She talked about her early life and formative experiences and there were talking heads with people who knew her back then. I would love to see Jeff featured in such a thing, because I'm a nosy bitch and I want to know how he got so fucked up (and I say this with love). He drops little morsels here and there (his mom was critical, she died when he was 18, he didn't come out until his 20's) but I want more backstory to fill in the gaps. 

In this episode, we saw so many people sad and hurting--including Gage and Zoila, the people most important to Jeff--and he was sort of this weird fake happy/smug/mean/angry. 

Jeff...who hurt you?

• Love 4
On 8/26/2016 at 8:23 AM, walnutqueen said:

I've seen lots of dope bags, and known lots of dopeheads. Neither would seem to apply in the Lewis household.

Besides that, as meticulous as Jeff is, I doubt he's going to be so sloppy as to leave a bag of dope out in sight for the camera's to pick up on. This is Jeff we're talking about. 5:00 cocktails with his team seem to be his thing. 

• Love 5

I felt bad for Gage in this episode. It seemed like he really hit it off with Matt. I think Jeff definitely pushed Matt away. I thought it was totally uncalled for to call Matt out at Zoila's birthday dinner. Not the time or place for that. And in front of everyone; how embarrassing. 

• Love 5

I love watching Jeff, but working for him would be horrible. He is an insane control freak and you never know when he will casually joke about a mistake or hyper focus on it until you're humiliated. He can be ruthless if he feels remotely crossed by you (he tried to sue Jenni) and he gets into this zone of rage that he can't snap out of. 

He has loads of charm and makes a great tv personality but unlike other reality tv show peeps I don't think his persona goes away when the cameras stop rolling. I don't like Zoila and don't find her charming but she's approaching an age where driving through hectic LA traffic, dealing with crowded parking lots and crazy LA drivers probably stresses her out, especially if her boss is calling her 30 times while she is out and she has to rush back to make it in time for their lunch hour. Yes this is an easy and great job for someone younger but someone pushing 70 who doesn't seem to be in great health? 

And because Jeff has always referred to their relationship as mother/son like, and she lives with him and doesn't seem to see her own family much, some part of her expects him to treat her like a mom. I really do not like her but this episode I got her and I would walk away from Jeff screaming at me too. 

• Love 4
On 8/26/2016 at 0:12 PM, John M said:

They actually mention it in Matt's first episode last season that he came from her and he was so awesome that he was just going to sit out of the K home in Calabasas and try to poach crazy on point assistants. 

3 hours ago, whydoievencare said:

Jeff seems to insist on making a faux family with his staff but also wants the absolute control of an employer.  Everyone must feel that they are walking a razor's edge all the time.

The fact that he stated that Matt is the first employee who has left where there is no resentment is pretty telling. That's a very unhealthy way to run a business where every time someone moves on you're harboring resentment. Not everyone is going to be a lifer. In fact, HARDLY anyone is going to be a lifer - especially in an environment where there is no privacy and employees are forced to take their lunch "break" together. I would go insane in under a week. 

• Love 4

I was just coming to post that I'm watching a kardashian episode (im weeks behind) and I saw Matt is Kris' executive assistant too lol 

Thats quite the change. Seems like a step back too. He was Gage's assistant but seemed like he was being put in charge of projects. 

Probably not a step back in terms of money tho. 

On 8/27/2016 at 5:48 AM, imjagain said:

Does zoila live with Jeff? 

I don't think that she lives there FT, year-round, 365 days a year any more.  My impression is that these 8- to 10-episode "seasons" basically cover 3-4 months of activities/"storyline".  In past years, I recall that Z had a sibling/family where she was living when the show was not taping.  The show has also had other staff housekeepers who have seemed to do most of the actual cleaning work for the past several years. They used to cast (not memorable) guys who held the title "House Manager", or something like that.  I think basically that is the role that Z assumes during her few months of taping.

I'm sure there is some Bravo-lebrity Expert out there who knows the ins-and-outs of the taping schedule.  My impression is that the network has it down to a science, scripting out several storylines for a compact period of time, and making it seem as if we are seeing a lot of the character's lives.

I was worried that next week would be the season finale (episode 8), but it appears there is another new episode on 9-8, so this must a 10-episode season.  I FF through the show and don't watch any other Bravo show, so I don't know if there has been advertising for the next Thursday 9PM show to "debut" on 9-22-16.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
On 8/27/2016 at 10:04 PM, racked said:

I love watching Jeff, but working for him would be horrible. He is an insane control freak and you never know when he will casually joke about a mistake or hyper focus on it until you're humiliated. He can be ruthless if he feels remotely crossed by you (he tried to sue Jenni) and he gets into this zone of rage that he can't snap out of. 

What ever came of him suing Jenni?  How the heck do you go back to the employer/friend relationship after that.

• Love 3

Zoila is a housekeeper. That's a job that involves a lot of bending, squatting, lifting, moving, etc. especially in the household of Jeff Lewis. I remember in the early seasons that part of her job was to dust (by hand) every baluster on his floating staircase and then go underneath the stairs and dust the back and undersides. Jeff came home in the evening and wiped down the stairs afterwards to make sure it had been done. With his OCD, she dusted and cleaned and moved every object in almost every room, every day. I recall that when Jenny's ex was the house manager, he had responsibilities for the dogs, and things like running errands and making appointments/ paying bills, but Zoila had a backbreaking amount of daily chores. The fact that she can't do it anymore isn't a surprise to me. Nor is it a surprise that as she gets older she doesn't like to drive and finds the lunch runs stressful. In this day and age, they should be able to utilize a delivery service, but I bet dollars to donuts that Jeff has no desire to do that because if something is wrong the people aren't there for him to berate. While I think she has it pretty easy, I also think that she's worked as a domestic for more than twenty years and that kind of work takes a physical toll on anyone. If she wants a slower lifestyle now, she's more than earned it. 

And FYI, she isn't an illegal. There was an entire season about her having applied for citizenship (at Jeff's urging) and becoming a US citizen. If I remember correctly her daughter (daughters?) did so  years earlier, but she didn't and Jeff kept insisting that she needed to complete the process

• Love 4

Zoila has housekeeper  to do the everyday cleaning. She is now house manager. Her main duties  seem to be supervising the construction on the house, picking up lunch and making drinks . It seems that Jeff has adjusted her responsibilities.

I get the feeling she thinks fetching lunch is beneath her. She has shown increasingly over the last couple seasons that she feels more important than her position  warrants.

• Love 3

I have never liked Zoila. She comes across as arrogant and entitled and a bit judgy. I work in a service industry and my mom did her entire life so understand it, but when you do blue collar jobs you leave your ego and conceit at the door. She has been paid well by Jeff, income from multiple seasons of the show, and children with homes and jobs of their own. No one is forcing her to be there. 

• Love 3

For a while, Jeff had Zoila taking care of his house and also going to clean for his grandmother.  I'm assuming with the addition of the other housekeeper maybe he's cut that back, but as I recall in the earlier times she was working 6 day weeks doing both.

I think he loves her and if he wants her in his home, he should make some kind of provision for her--let her have her place but move the office to that new guesthouse and let her take care of the pets and putter around the house--let the new, younger housekeeper do lunch for the office or give that to one of the assistantst.  It seems like the chaos with the house and having the whole office packed into the other half of the house is stressful for all of them--but she never gets to go home from it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, car54 said:

For a while, Jeff had Zoila taking care of his house and also going to clean for his grandmother.  I'm assuming with the addition of the other housekeeper maybe he's cut that back, but as I recall in the earlier times she was working 6 day weeks doing both.

I think he loves her and if he wants her in his home, he should make some kind of provision for her--let her have her place but move the office to that new guesthouse and let her take care of the pets and putter around the house--let the new, younger housekeeper do lunch for the office or give that to one of the assistantst.  It seems like the chaos with the house and having the whole office packed into the other half of the house is stressful for all of them--but she never gets to go home from it.

Jeff and Gage never get to go home either.

I'm sure the new maid has to do all the  nit-picky stuff Zoila has to do. What is so hard about pickingup lunch? She just does not want to . She is 67 not 90.

• Love 5
On August 26, 2016 at 6:00 PM, tvsoothesthespirit said:

Ha!  I came out of 10 years of lurking to make the above point, and you beat me to it!  That was the first thing that I thought of when Jeff made the comment.  As an architect, I see this quite a bit - when couples lose their desire or ability to work on the big issues in the marriage, the first phases of a design project (making a wish list, imagining how their life will look in a new space) can be the only time that they have fun together.  But when the reality of a design project (compromises, divergent values disguised as design issues, financial stress) sets in, those unresolved issues are magnified.  There are plenty of unfinished "Dream Houses" for sale in just about every real estate market.

I agree with your second point, too.  IMHO, one of the hallmarks of people who show narcissistic traits is projecting their issues onto others with a total lack of recognition that they're doing it.

• Love 2
On 8/31/2016 at 8:43 AM, Willowsmom said:

Zoila has housekeeper  to do the everyday cleaning. She is now house manager. Her main duties  seem to be supervising the construction on the house, picking up lunch and making drinks . It seems that Jeff has adjusted her responsibilities.

I get the feeling she thinks fetching lunch is beneath her. She has shown increasingly over the last couple seasons that she feels more important than her position  warrants.

Gage is supervising the construction at most she is there to let people in.

• Love 4
On 8/31/2016 at 7:24 PM, Willowsmom said:

Jeff and Gage never get to go home either.

I'm sure the new maid has to do all the  nit-picky stuff Zoila has to do. What is so hard about pickingup lunch? She just does not want to . She is 67 not 90.

67 after a lifetime of physical labor is different than 67 after working in an office for thirty years. It takes a toll. As for the doesn't want to, Jenny pointed out that she finds the driving, parking, etc. to be stressful. That's not unusual for older drivers.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Rlb8031 said:

67 after a lifetime of physical labor is different than 67 after working in an office for thirty years. It takes a toll. As for the doesn't want to, Jenny pointed out that she finds the driving, parking, etc. to be stressful. That's not unusual for older drivers.

My grandmother did exactly the same work. Yes it wears people down but Jeff has made accommodations and if the issue is driving why not say so? Zoila isn't really that old and she's not chained to Jeff she's not alone here she could easily leave.

• Love 2

Speaking as someone who is older - driving in heavy traffic is different than when I was younger. I do it but I really don't enjoy it at all. I watched a Mythbusters once where they tested older vs younger drivers and it isn't that the reflexes slow down but the processing time the brain takes to make a decision on what to do slows down. 

Also - if anyone considered taking a job with Jeff and they have watched the show they should know what they are getting into if it hasn't been explained to them in what I am guessing is a detailed employment contract.   I have been able to turn down jobs where I knew if I took them it would be not my cup of tea.  Maybe these folks have to accept the job because of no other alternatives  

Or all of this is for the drama and when they aren't filming it is more relaxed. 

• Love 2

I have read the debate above over Zoila's position/work ethic, and I ...

... come down squarely in the middle. 

Zoila's at an age and has so many years of past service that Jeff should be taking the lead in offering her choices on less responsibilities.  And I don't think he should need a therapist to point that out to him.  She's not taking advantage of you Jeff, she's just getting tired, and perhaps confused, more easily.  She's not getting her lunch order right because she doesn't want to do the job or care about the people.  Her lunch order is correct because that is the order that she knows the best.  Why would anyone get their own lunch order wrong, ever?

On the other hand, while she is getting older and slowing down that doesn't mean that she is getting nicer.  I don't know that she was ever that nice to begin with.  Nothing cuddly/caring about that woman comes across onscreen.  I'm glad that she has family nearby. 

(Watching this situation play out, the only person I felt sorry for was Gage who has to put up with it all.)

• Love 2