Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I actually applauded Alla for saying that. To  me, she was not saying that she doesn't love Matt, she was saying that love (to her) is something that builds up over a course of many years and takes a long time to develop. It reminds me of the following exchange from the play THE HEIRESS. 

Morris: Is it possible to offer more than the most tender affection and a lifelong devotion?

Dr. Sloper: A lifelong devotion is measured after the fact; and meanwhile it is usual in these cases to give a few material securities.

All to often we are quick to say that we "love" people or are "in love with them." True love, in my opinion, comes with time and daily living with the other person. I've been with my husband for many years. In the beginning I said I "loved" him. However, it's NOTHING compared to the feelings I have almost 20 years later. In fact, when I look back on those early years I am not sure I even knew what love was. Infatuation? Yes. Desire? Yes. Maybe even obsession. But the real love came much later. And we are definitely stronger. 

This is what I think Alla means. 

Exactly!  True love comes from surviving the daily grind with that person.  I like the quote "a lifelong devotion is measured after the fact."

• Love 2

TLC is purposefully choosing people who barely know each other for drama; established relationships woukd be boring

Actually, TLC/Sharp Productions picks couples with good back stories, yet won't show the public the truth. Each season, we hear couples say "No, no, we actually met a couple of years ago and have been spending a lot of time together." The show wants us to believe these people are only just now getting to know each other but I think I can safely say most of the viewers are not that dumb.

• Love 2
Just now, DangerousMinds said:

Hard to do when we are generally at work all day in this country.

To be fair a lot of the people are elderly people, housewives and children who are not at work. It's multi-generational friendships. They have good close friends across the way they've known their whole life. Yes, maybe some of the time they are at work, but even in a big apartment building in LA, some people are home during the day but they don't talk to each other or see each other. It's much more social in those Russian apartment buildings.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, spankydoll said:

Who can I appeal to about have Jorge's drivers license revoked? Reckless isn't even the word for that moron. TLC shouldn't put the producers at risk by having them in the car with that fat clueless ahole is texting and driving. I hope that his insurance carrier catches this footage and cancels his policy.

I agree. If you live in California, perhaps you can report it.

13 minutes ago, operalover said:

I know a lot of people from Russia that feel the American way of life is very isolating. Often they live in these big apartment buildings with inner courtyards where everyone interacts in the yard and I off their balconies all day long. You can go out on your back porch and talk to the entire neighborhood in a lot of Russian cities. They come here and sit alone in a house or apartment and feel lonely and isolated.  I do think Anfisa is bored all day and she can't work or she might just to get attention outside of the house. That is a big cultural difference as our cities are not built like that. Plus I guess she can't just take a walk and be in a big piazza full of people either.  I think she thought she would be the center of attention in America and not sitting alone all day. Lol. 

I would love that.  I too think American culture is too isolated.  An Israeli man told me that 20 years ago as well. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

I would love that.  I too think American culture is too isolated.  An Israeli man told me that 20 years ago as well. 

I can agree with that (for me).  I have lived on my block for 10+ years and I know the name of exactly one neighbor.  But I lean towards anti-social anyways.

I imagine it is hard for Anfisa.  No friends, a fiancé can't stand, no car and no job.  What else does she have to do but bug GEORGE all day?

• Love 2

To me it looked like Jorge was staying somewhere southeast of LA - like Riverside, maybe?  Not much to do there and public transportation is not ideal.

I did think that Jorge was latino. Looking at his sisters, I agree with PP that he is likely the baby of the family...and perhaps of Portuguese rather than Latin American descent.

I was also infuriated with him messing with his phone while driving.  I was shouting at the t.v. "JUST PULL OVER."

I also noticed the beige mishmash on Nicole's plate.  And I had to travel for work when my kiddo was around 2. I went across country for 5 days. When I got back, we were glued to each other.  I sat in the back seat with him on the way home (sorry, hubs). He sat in my lap while we ate. He slept in my bed. I MISSED him. I missed his little baby smell and his hugs and mamas.

ETA: I totally forgot to mention Patrick's dickishness.  Look dude, if you're worried about "picking up the pieces" after your dumb ass friend gets his heart broken again, get mad at HIM about it, not the chick he's marrying.

Edited by guilfoyleatpp
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

In non-Western cultures marrying for love is a relatively new concept. Marriages were arranged by families or you end up marrying whoever is around, after a chaperoned courtship, because you are 18 and it is "time". Ukraine is a little more modern, but not by much. So hearing Alla truthfully admit she's not "in love" with Matt yet - likely because she barely knows him - and probably is having second thoughts about what she has seen so far - isn't necessarily a red flag. Unfortunately the way this K1 Visa thing works, it forces the couples to 'make it legal' too quickly so everyone just deludes themselves into believing they are in Disney-movie level love with one another as they split an Applebees dessert and stare out the window into the snowbank. Oh, and Patrick's girlfriend - girl, if you were married to him I'd say you made your own bed here lie init - but after seeing him be suck a dick - run now while you have the chance!

That is untrue about Ukraine.  Ukrainian peasants, which was about 80% of the Ukrainian population, were always able to marry who they wished, which usually meant another peasant.  Most marriages in Ukraine, either on the Right Bank (west of the Dnipro River) or Left Bank (East of the Dnipro River) were not arranged. 

To those who state all the couples are in it for a green card, I disagree.

I doubt Anfisa is marrying for a green card.  America is not the number 1 destination anymore for Russians.  

I also doubt Pedro is in it solely for a green card.  I believe he is lust, perhaps even in love, with Chantal.

Alla is marrying for a green card, and Azan and Lowo are looking for green cards as well.

• Love 4

I'm another one who doesn't believe that Azan swore at Nicole the way she claimed.  "Shut the fuck up" is probably her interpretation of "Please stop talking".

I had to laugh at the scene when Lowo and Narkiya were in the hotel room.  He was holding her and talking about how glad he was to see her, how much he loved her, yada yada, and the whole time she couldn't take her eyes off the cupcakes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

His friends just need to let the train wreck happen, because interrogating Alla isn't going to prevent it.  

Oh this, so much this.   Alla is NOT the problem.   Matt not being a fricking adult is.   Since you can't talk Matt out of being an idiot all you can do is decide if you are going to be there to pick up the pieces when it all falls apart or not.   If you are not willing to wait it out for the sake of your friend through marriage #4, then end the friendship.  But do not blame the woman for your friends poor decisions.   (okay exceptions are if the person is in physical danger or about to have their bank accounts emptied, neither of which apply to Alla who may be willing to be do her part as a wife for the green card).

• Love 3
  1 hour ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Remains of the Day indeed! She could definitely teach Matt a thing or two about life if he can demonstrate a capacity to learn! I think she could be really good for him! She actually seems to be all about the commitment which is something his past brides seemed to have lacked.  I hope his friend is smart enough to realize that he's dealing with something very different here, and for Matt, different is good. Basically Matt should look at whatever he's done before and do the opposite.

You may be right, but what makes you think Alla is in for the long haul, and won't leave him after she gets her green card, etc?

I think Alla is comfortable with the idea of marriage as something besides love. Matt is not a bad man, will treat her and Max well, and could be a really solid companion. I think whether or not she sticks around post green card is entirely up to how she is treated. If Matt listens to his horrible friends and starts treating Alla badly, why should she stay?

• Love 7
18 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Chantel is an idiot. in too many ways to count. after 3 months of Pedro sitting through conversations with HER friends and HER family, who only spoke English, and spoke too fast for him to follow, she's going to be pissed that his mother is speaking Spanish? 

She just became the most hated person on this show for me. her entire family has been talking crap about Pedro. she created this whole sh!tty situation and has the nerve to get on her high horse about his relationship with his parents or the fact that he shares info that IS GOING TO BE ON NATIONAL TV while she prefers to be deceitful with her parents??? OMG I  can't even with this entitled immature, stupid  little b**** right now.

Actually, this was the first time I felt a sliver of pity for Chantel. I take it that since Pedro didn't have hot water back home, (I doubt that a pre-nup could be written in this case; however Chantel will be a nurse so that is a point to take into account) so if a pre-nup could be made, it is easy to see why. His mother not only referred to Chantel and her family as "Stupid Americans", she also repeatedly made ti a point to refer to Pedro and herself as "Pure Dominicans" which I took as a racist dig to Chantel, as I am guessing she is mixed-race. Chantel speaks moderate Spanish but why doesn't Pedro take English classes? Or take more initiative to learn English, because from what we have seen he can barely put a few words together. I don't see why Chantel's parents wouldn't trust him, no career path is mentioned for him either, if he doesn't start learning English he won't be able to do much here. 

Edited by Matias130
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

You may be right, but what makes you think Alla is in for the long haul, and won't leave him after she gets her green card, etc?

Because if she were after the green card only she would be playing the game.  She would lie and say,"of course I love him, he's my soul mate, he completes me".

of all the players in both shoes, Alla is the one I would go out of my way to make friends with.  Noone is second only because I would be sad when she leaves.

• Love 9

Patrick is the best TV villain of 2016. He is such an unrepentant douchebag.

Also, our theory is Azan is gay and wants to get out of a country where that is a death sentence. He picked an easy target and wants to come here to live the life he wants. It's the only explanation that makes sense. Come on over Azan. You be you.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, newyorkgirl said:

Exactly!  True love comes from surviving the daily grind with that person.  I like the quote "a lifelong devotion is measured after the fact."

I think Alla feels at best lukewarm feelings towards Matt. She is definitely here to get her green card and take it for the team for herself and her son, as she said this is a great opportunity for her. I mean .... ehhh. I hope that she won't divorce him when she gets her papers though because this relationship is starting to look like Matt is her benefactor/helper or something wierd like that instead of her husband. Ordinarily, if you don't feel "in love" with a person, as Alla does not, you don't marry them, or you wait and see. If Matt was a Ukrainian man in Ukraine, Alla would probably not have even considered him. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Jorge trust your gut.  Who texts/calls 1000 times per minute?   Ugh. 

And with his gut, the message it should be sending should be loud enough for the entire apartment complex to hear.

• Love 4

This is a side note, but is Jorge Latino? He was speaking Spanish pretty well on the phone and the spelling of his name is the Spanish way. His sisters all seem American and he does too but I was thrown off by his Spanish speaking abilities. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Matias130 said:

I think Alla feels at best lukewarm feelings towards Matt. She is definitely here to get her green card and take it for the team for herself and her son, as she said this is a great opportunity for her. I mean .... ehhh. I hope that she won't divorce him when she gets her papers though because this relationship is starting to look like Matt is her benefactor/helper or something wierd like that instead of her husband. Ordinarily, if you don't feel "in love" with a person, as Alla does not, you don't marry them, or you wait and see. If Matt was a Ukrainian man in Ukraine, Alla would probably not have even considered him. 

I think this is just a cultural difference. We (Americans) put an inordinate emphasis on love and being in love with the person you marry. Other cultures are a bit more pragmatic and recognize that two people can have a wonderful life together without being in love from the moment they marry.

• Love 7
Just now, MrSmith said:

I think this is just a cultural difference. We (Americans) put an inordinate emphasis on love and being in love with the person you marry. Other cultures are a bit more pragmatic and recognize that two people can have a wonderful life together without being in love from the moment they marry.

I think that is just a Western thing in general. 

• Love 3
Just now, Kangatush said:

I think Alla is comfortable with the idea of marriage as something besides love. Matt is not a bad man, will treat her and Max well, and could be a really solid companion. I think whether or not she sticks around post green card is entirely up to how she is treated. If Matt listens to his horrible friends and starts treating Alla badly, why should she stay?

Totally agree here.  I think Alla might want some form of companionship and security.  Maybe Matt provides that in the way or to the degree she wants/needs.  

And maybe these people are all sitting at home laughing at US getting all worked up over their lives (except Danielle because social meeedya) lol.  I'd love that.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Matias130 said:

This is a side note, but is Jorge Latino? He was speaking Spanish pretty well on the phone and the spelling of his name is the Spanish way. His sisters all seem American and he does too but I was thrown off by his Spanish speaking abilities. 

I did not think he spoke Spanish well.  He sounded to me like a kid who grows up hearing the language spoken, if that makes any sense?

• Love 2
  4 hours ago, okerry said:

Matt was more than happy to let Patrick, his mouthpiece, say what Matt doesn't have the balls to say. That's what we saw.

exactly.

That's a very interesting spin on things. One I'm still mulling over. thanks for sharing it!

I'd like to think that Patrick expresses all of Matt's worst fears, the ones he doesn't totally own. But that's probably just the optimist in me.

He wouldn't be letting Patrick say it otherwise.

That being said, I still think Matt would be better off with Alla than his next bad choice. Will Alla be better off with Matt? Let's just say I can see why she hasn't yet used the L-word.

• Love 3
  18 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Chantel is an idiot. in too many ways to count. after 3 months of Pedro sitting through conversations with HER friends and HER family, who only spoke English, and spoke too fast for him to follow, she's going to be pissed that his mother is speaking Spanish? 

She just became the most hated person on this show for me. her entire family has been talking crap about Pedro. she created this whole sh!tty situation and has the nerve to get on her high horse about his relationship with his parents or the fact that he shares info that IS GOING TO BE ON NATIONAL TV while she prefers to be deceitful with her parents??? OMG I  can't even with this entitled immature, stupid  little b**** right now.

Actually, this was the first time I felt a sliver of pity for Chantel. I take it that since Pedro didn't have hot water back home, (I doubt that a pre-nup could be written in this case; however Chantel will be a nurse so that is a point to take into account) so if a pre-nup could be made, it is easy to see why. His mother not only referred to Chantel and her family as "Stupid Americans", she also repeatedly made ti a point to refer to Pedro and herself as "Pure Dominicans" which I took as a racist dig to Chantel, as I am guessing she is mixed-race. Chantel speaks moderate Spanish but why doesn't Pedro take English classes? Or take more initiative to learn English, because from what we have seen he can barely put a few words together. I don't see why Chantel's parents wouldn't trust him, no career path is mentioned for him either, if he doesn't start learning English he won't be able to do much here. 

I don't necessarily know if I would take it as a racist dig. She might just be telling him that he's a good man from a good country and he needs to be proud of himself. That's how I took it. She was trying to build him up when she felt that all these other people were tearing him down. He was too far away for her to give him a hug. I'm sure she felt helpless and angry at the way that he was being treated.

As for his apathy in learning the English language, I have thought the same thing from Day 1. I didn't understand it at all. I didn't understand why he didn't learn more before he came here because it would have helped him so much in communicating with her family, finding a future job in Atlanta, etc. I am concerned because at this point his work ethic is a total unknown. He might be the hardest working person on the planet, but we don't know a thing about what his vocational background is nor what his plans are.

• Love 3

Why does not one talk about the huge age difference between Matt and Alla.  Thirteen years!  There is so much discussion about the same age difference between Dani and Mo.  Alla has a child and she is not model beautiful but I don't think that she has to settle for a man 13 years older who has been married and divorced three times.   She seems like a good person but I was concerned when she talked about bringing her sister to the USA.  I am all for immigration but it kind of smelled like marriage fraud to me.  

I actually don't really have anything against Matt.  I don't know the circumstances of his three divorces.  He is weird but does not seem "evil."  He actually looked hurt when Alla said that she does not love him. Yet, he came to her defense.  

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, locomoco said:

And with his gut, the message it should be sending should be loud enough for the entire apartment complex to hear.

Now that was just mean, very funny but mean.  Made me laugh out loud and made my dog wake up but mean.

• Love 2
  2 hours ago, MrSmith said:

Walking up a sand dune is actually quite a lot of work.

I find it hard to walk on FLAT sand at the beach! 

Very good point. I was thinking climbing up and down hills and intense heat and her being very out of shape. I forgot about the walking in sand part.

She had to have been legitimately exhausted! (As was the camera crew I'm sure!)

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, NahorsNeighbor said:

Patrick is the best TV villain of 2016. He is such an unrepentant douchebag.

Also, our theory is Azan is gay and wants to get out of a country where that is a death sentence. He picked an easy target and wants to come here to live the life he wants. It's the only explanation that makes sense. Come on over Azan. You be you.

Then he needs to tell the truth to Nicole and let her decide if she still wants to marry him. Not allow her to enter into a marriage built on manipulation and deceit.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

I don't necessarily know if I would take it as a racist dig. She might just be telling him that he's a good man from a good country and he needs to be proud of himself. That's how I took it. She was trying to build him up when she felt that all these other people were tearing him down. He was too far away for her to give him a hug. I'm sure she felt helpless and angry at the way that he was being treated.

As for his apathy in learning the English language, I have thought the same thing from Day 1. I didn't understand it at all. I didn't understand why he didn't learn more before he came here because it would have helped him so much in communicating with her family, finding a future job in Atlanta, etc. I am concerned because at this point his work ethic is a total unknown. He might be the hardest working person on the planet, but we don't know a thing about what his vocational background is nor what his plans are.

Chantel and Pedro are both multiracial. I am sure that if they took one of those DNA tests (23andMe, Ancestry, etc.) they would have similar percentages of European and African.  Perhaps Pedro has a small amount of Taino, too.  Who knows.  I think that Pedro's mother was pointing out that Chantel was not a Dominican.  She is "other". She is "different". She is an American. I assume that Chantel has spent time with his parents while they were in DR.  There does not seem to be much love between her and them.  

I actually think that Pedro's English has improved somewhat. He understands English better than he can speak it.  At this age, it is hard to learn a language unless it comes naturally to you.  Also, the don't have money for classes. Having said all this, however, I agree that he should make more of an effort. There are free ESL classes offers to immigrants. There are books and CDs that he can borrow for free from a local library. There are also free language exchange groups that he can join in Atlanta where he can practice his English with someone besides Chantel.  

What did he do for work in DR? I forget.  

1 minute ago, DangerousMinds said:

Then he needs to tell the truth to Nicole and let her decide if she still wants to marry him. Not allow her to enter into a marriage built on manipulation and deceit.

I feel that half of the men on this show have been accused of being homosexual.  What evidence is there that Azan is gay?  

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

But HE appears to want a marriage based on love. She needs to be very clear on what she wants.

31 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Totally agree here.  I think Alla might want some form of companionship and security.  Maybe Matt provides that in the way or to the degree she wants/needs.  

And maybe these people are all sitting at home laughing at US getting all worked up over their lives (except Danielle because social meeedya) lol.  I'd love that.

Security meaning he works and she benefits financially?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, TeapotWakeen said:

I thought when she said she "may never" tell him she loves him that it was in the context of "who knows how long we'll live? I could be gone (dead) in 3 years"? Or am I confusing multiple conversations? Again, I think she is talking more about saying the words than her feelings. I came from a family where I don't think I ever heard my mom or dad say "I love you" to me, but I knew they did. Those words were just not used. And I've been in relationships where the words were thrown around a lot, but the actions just weren't there.  I think that Americans focus on the words (generalizing!!), and other cultures focus on the actions that go with loving someone.

I don't know...they had like 3 different conversations about this in the course of the evening.  I heard him say something like, "Well, when do you think you might say you love me?" and she said, "I may never say I love you."  I do, however, recall the part you mentioned (about the 3 years). I think that was during their dinner with Pat and his girlfriend.  I am glad she doesn't take love so seriously (or saying the words). I'm like that. I get it.  You don't just throw it around. But to tell someone that you are considering marrying that you may "never" love them is probably jumping the gun. There were kinder ways she could have said what she was trying to get across. I think it's a cultural thing.

Edited by LocalGovt
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, LocalGovt said:

I don't know...they had like 3 different conversations about this in the course of the evening.  I heard him say something like, "Well, when do you think you might say you love me?" and she said, "I may never say I love you."  I do, however, recall the part you mentioned (about the 3 years). I think that was during their dinner with Pat and his girlfriend.  I am glad she doesn't take love so seriously (or saying the words). I'm like that. I get it.  You don't just throw it around. But to tell someone that you are considering marrying that you may "never" love them is probably jumping the gun. There were kinder ways she could have said what she was trying to get across. I think it's a cultural thing.

I agree that saying that she may never love him is harsh.  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

I am Haitian and I didn't take her comment to mean this. Interesting. I am aware of how people from DR view Haitians, well aware sadly due to personal experience, but yeah. I am very disappointed if she meant it that way.

Azan acknowledged he didn't treat Nicole well while she was visiting him, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he told her to shut the fuck up. He's not a good guy, IMO. Nicole is no better.

The ONLY reason he said that was because they were safely sitting in a public place (the airport), and she would be leaving in a matter of minutes, AND he didn't want to screw up his chance for a green card.   Just my opinion, of course!

7 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

And Alla needs to understand that she is marrying someone who places a LOT of importance on love. For her, it may be about friendship, affection and respect that may one day grow in to more. But Matt wants to be loved. He wants it very very badly. And whether she's doing it for the right reasons or not, she's denying him that. He's a big puss, so he'll hang around, but he's obviously hurt by it.

See comment above about friendship, affection, and respect. Alla wants to make a better life for herself and her son. But she's not willing to abuse Matt to get it. They've had their disagreements, but she she's been quite adaptable and willing to go along to get along.

Yes, but can you imagine the repercussions when he gets home?

For some reason, whenever Jorge says "my love", I hear "Mistress." Yes Mistress. Right away, Mistress. Whatever you say, Mistress.

I wouldn't go that far. If it passes, there will be a lot of competition and a lot of motivation to get into that market. He's going to have to step up his efforts in order to win market share, or he'll be squeezed out. Depends on how good a businessman he is.

I give his mom a pass. I'm not ready to ascribe racism to a situation where we have so little context. Her baby boy went to another country to marry this idiot chick who tried to hide their relationship, and when it finally came out, sided with her parents in bullying him into signing a legal document he doesn't understand. Meanwhile, she's far away and can't do anything to help or to support him. I think she went into full on mama bear mode.

Patrick isn't doing anything to help anybody. He a "right fighter." He just wants to be right. And he wants everyone to acknowledge it. And when the relationship doesn't work out, he will be the first to say "I told you so." I don't think any of his behavior comes from caring about Matt. I actually don't think he likes Matt very much at all.

I agree she's doesn't come across as a shrew like Anfisa.  She still seems wooden, though, and she is fully capable of having dead, dark eyes. I saw that with the looks she was giving Patrick (not that he didn't deserve it).  I guess she's doing the best she can regarding her feelings for him.    I know she's capable of deep feelings, because I see it with her sister. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Or just turn off his phone? It's that easy.

I wonder if he could just buy another phone for business purposes? He seems to like to spend money. And I think he even likes getting dinged by Anfisa.

• Love 4

To me it looked like Jorge was staying somewhere southeast of LA - like Riverside, maybe?  Not much to do there and public transportation is not ideal.

I did think that Jorge was latino. Looking at his sisters, I agree with PP that he is likely the baby of the family...and perhaps of Portuguese rather than Latin American descent.

I was also infuriated with him messing with his phone while driving.  I was shouting at the t.v. "JUST PULL OVER."

I also noticed the beige mishmash on Nicole's plate.  And I had to travel for work when my kiddo was around 2. I went across country for 5 days. When I got back, we were glued to each other.  I sat in the back seat with him on the way home (sorry, hubs). He sat in my lap while we ate. He slept in my bed. I MISSED him. I missed his little baby smell and his hugs and mamas.

ETA: I totally forgot to mention Patrick's dickishness.  Look dude, if you're worried about "picking up the pieces" after your dumb ass friend gets his heart broken again, get mad at HIM about it, not the chick he's marrying.

I don't think Matt's mama would hear of it. No criticism in any kind of real way because Matt is fragile and terminally unique and no one can fathom the depth or breadth of the pain of his three divorces. He must be handled with kid gloves!

Or bullied and man handled by strippers.

One or the other.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, newyorkgirl said:

I actually think that Pedro's English has improved somewhat. He understands English better than he can speak it.  At this age, it is hard to learn a language unless it comes naturally to you.  Also, the don't have money for classes. Having said all this, however, I agree that he should make more of an effort. There are free ESL classes offers to immigrants. There are books and CDs that he can borrow for free from a local library.

At this point in the show he's been here 87 days and still hasn't shown much of an effort to learn the language. I'm sure he has access to a computer, there are plenty of free language programs. Or like you pointed out, you can borrow things from the library. I just wonder what he DOES do all day, the only thing we've seen is him going to the gym. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, newyorkgirl said:

Why does not one talk about the huge age difference between Matt and Alla.  Thirteen years!  There is so much discussion about the same age difference between Dani and Mo.  Alla has a child and she is not model beautiful but I don't think that she has to settle for a man 13 years older who has been married and divorced three times.   She seems like a good person but I was concerned when she talked about bringing her sister to the USA.  I am all for immigration but it kind of smelled like marriage fraud to me.  

I didn't even really notice that Matt and Alla had an age difference.  They don't look drastically different, age-wise.  And "sweet angel" Matt acts like a whiny man-child, while Alla acts like...an adult.  Regardless, I wouldn't really call it "huge."  I'm undoubtedly biased about this, since Mr. Wovenloaf is 13 years older than me (I'll state for the record that I didn't have to "settle."), but I've never considered that an especially noteworthy age difference once people are in their 30s/40s?

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, Teddybear said:

That bootleg Jim Carrey from Dumb and Dumber needs to shut the fuck up and mind his own business.  .  

hahahahahaha all he was missing was the tooth gap and the 70's tux.

17 hours ago, gavinmac said:

Matt should have cut the guy off and said "You're not going to interrogate her."  

OMG to this YES! Matt sat there like HE was wounded and said nothing. I found that disgusting. He needed to stand up for Alla not sit there like a puppy getting scolded. He is a big 42 year old coddled baby. RUN ALLA. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, MrSmith said:

You know, here's what I can't understand: He's got all this money for an expensive car, expensive ring, and so on, but he doesn't have the money to get a bluetooth headset for his phone? Hell, I drive a 2002 Saturn and I have enough money for both my wife and I to have bluetooth headsets. We live in MN and it's illegal to drive and hold the phone to your ear, as well. So, having the headset comes in handy surprisingly often (since I'm not an entrepreneur). I just don't understand people who don't have headsets for their phones. Are you seriously *never* going to use it while driving? I like mine for whenever I'm talking on the phone. I can't stand holding the phone to my head.

More than that, he drives a very expensive Audi. That car costs easily over 100k. I don't know if he owns, leases or rents, but I'm sure it has bluetooth. If my Toyota Sienna has Bluetooth, no excuse for his expensive Audi not to. He's so blinded by Anfisa's fake boobs that he cant see she cares nothing for him.

• Love 2

The Audi must have hands free Bluetooth capability but someone upthread suggested that they didn't want to broadcast the person at the other end of Jorge's business conversation. 

With regards to Alla not saying those three magic words to Matt, could it be that her feelings towards him have changed since she got to the US and saw first-hand what a coddled Mama's boy he is and how his friends are so "up in his business" and react so negatively to their relationship. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, fountain said:

He's got all this money for an expensive car,

He doesn't seem to be driving the Audi (I think it was an Audi) convertible he picked Anfisa up at the airport with. He seems to drive a garden-variety Honda.

All the phone ringing was totally fake. How could he be talking on the phone and it's ringing out loud at the same time? Does he have two phones? And the beeping?  The iPhone feature used to track someone doesn't make noise.  It just shows you on a map, and it doesn't interfere with the other person at all.

Fake, fake, fake drama.

• Love 4