Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

And I forgot Kirk had showed up in S1.

IIRC Kirk showed up in the pilot, but with a different name. He was at the crap shack to install some internet service that had Emily ordered. Lorelai sent him packing, with some snark remark they liked their internet slow.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

IIRC Kirk showed up in the pilot, but with a different name. He was at the crap shack to install some internet service that had Emily ordered. Lorelai sent him packing, with some snark remark they liked their internet slow.

Then he's the Swan Wrangler in Kill Me Now, but in subsequent episodes he's consistently Kirk.

Edited by Miss Anne Thrope
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

Then he's the Swan Wrangler in Kill Me Now, but in subsequent episodes he's consistently Kirk.

Isn't he also the cable installer when Emily orders it for Rory, but not as Kirk?

• Love 3
12 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Kirk also first met Miss Patty working at the grocery store in Cinnamon's Wake and in season four Miss Patty tells him she's been ignoring him since he could walk. 

If you're looking for consistency, this is the wrong show. Either they didn't have historians to keep track of what has happened in the past, or they didn't care. Probably the latter. Which is a shame. There's a reason we're talking about the show so many years later. It is a good show and has provided me with so many enjoyable moments. I give them slack on the pilot - they didn't know how long or if the show would last.

• Love 5

Tonight on the 255th episode of Random Gilmore Girls Thoughts Which Pop Into My Head, it occurs to me that it's a bit odd that, given Taylor's personality and insistence that everything in "his" town be on the up-and-up, he didn't have anything to say about a teenaged Lane living alone in an apartment with Zach and Brian. It would have been totally in character for him to insist on a Three's Company style arrangement where there would supposedly be no chance of hanky panky going on.

Yes, it's midnight and yes, this is totally out of the blue. I have no idea why I even thought about it LOL.

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Tonight on the 255th episode of Random Gilmore Girls Thoughts Which Pop Into My Head, it occurs to me that it's a bit odd that, given Taylor's personality and insistence that everything in "his" town be on the up-and-up, he didn't have anything to say about a teenaged Lane living alone in an apartment with Zach and Brian. It would have been totally in character for him to insist on a Three's Company style arrangement where there would supposedly be no chance of hanky panky going on.

Yes, it's midnight and yes, this is totally out of the blue. I have no idea why I even thought about it LOL.

I think even Taylor must have realized that it is none of this business what living arrangements adults have.

• Love 2

Speaking of the private affairs of the denizens of Stars Hollow, were Taylor and Miss Patty an item? 

In a couple of episodes, Miss Patty said things (usually at town meetings, IIRC) that caught my attention; but I don't recall hearing anything overt, seeing any telling action going on in a scene's background, or whatever.

I don't consider myself a hardcore GG viewer -- some eps I know inside and out, others not so much -- so please be gentle if I missed something obvious or am totally off base in this thought.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I think even Taylor must have realized that it is none of this business what living arrangements adults have.

Didn't stop him from calling a town meeting to discuss whether or not Luke and Lorelai could even date. I'm surprised he didn't take a vote on whether or not they could have sex.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

LOL yeah, like @Cetacean said, he called a town meeting to discuss whether or not two grown ass adults could DATE each other. Nothing is beyond the realm of him overstepping his bounds.

37 minutes ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

Speaking of the private affairs of the denizens of Stars Hollow, were Taylor and Miss Patty an item?

Nah, I don't think so. She came close to flirting with him a few times, but Miss Patty flirted with everyone. I personally don't think Taylor's had a sexual thought his entire life, despite the gag that one time about his "girlie magazine" having been delivered to the wrong address.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

LOL yeah, like @Cetacean said, he called a town meeting to discuss whether or not two grown ass adults could DATE each other. Nothing is beyond the realm of him overstepping his bounds.

Nah, I don't think so. She came close to flirting with him a few times, but Miss Patty flirted with everyone. I personally don't think Taylor's had a sexual thought his entire life, despite the gag that one time about his "girlie magazine" having been delivered to the wrong address.

In the revival, didn't they suggest Taylor was gay?

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

In the revival, didn't they suggest Taylor was gay?

I think Gypsy was pushing him to admit he was at a town meeting. I don't remember for sure. Like the poster above, I've only watched it once and will never watch it again so who knows.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

His interest in LL was purely about the town's economy.  His charts and arguments were about how the economy would be negatively impacted if there were another Art Brush breakup. Fair enough to be concerned about the economy. Absurd to think the town had a right to tell them to break up.

I think he was also afraid of their influence on the town. Luke's strong opinions and Lorelai's ability to convince people could really draw power away from Taylor.

Lane wasn't a threat like that. And she also probably kept the grass at the right height.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, junienmomo said:

His interest in LL was purely about the town's economy.  His charts and arguments were about how the economy would be negatively impacted if there were another Art Brush breakup. Fair enough to be concerned about the economy. Absurd to think the town had a right to tell them to break up.

I think he was also afraid of their influence on the town. Luke's strong opinions and Lorelai's ability to convince people could really draw power away from Taylor.

Lane wasn't a threat like that. And she also probably kept the grass at the right height.

Yes, his argument there seemed to be not about the two of them personally, but more about what roles they served in the town and how those could be impacted by a potential breakup. I think he even referred to them as the inn-owner and bistro-owner or something like that, rather than by their names in his speech, if I remember correctly.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Yes, his argument there seemed to be not about the two of them personally, but more about what roles they served in the town and how those could be impacted by a potential breakup. I think he even referred to them as the inn-owner and bistro-owner or something like that, rather than by their names in his speech, if I remember correctly.

And compared them to Flower Shop Guy and Candy Lady. Or was it the other way around?

• Love 2

I've talked before about various alternative ways they could have done at least Lorelai's part of the final seasons of the show without resorting to triangles, surprise daughters, quickie weddings and divorces, etc. Tonight I've finally narrowed down a specific part of the series that was the exact template for what I wish we'd gotten: the scenes at the community college before, during, and after Lorelai graduates. We have Lorelai's surprise that her parents would be coming after all. We have her horror at Raul, the sound guy, and the corsages. We have her embarrassment during the ceremony when Raul is taking footage. We have Richard snarking on the commencement speaker. Then we shift into the heart and see the pride on Richard's and Emily's faces as Lorelai accepts her diploma, Lorelai's own emotion at seeing their pride, the traditional graduate photo with the parents, and Richard privately giving Lorelai some money that he insists she put towards something fun.

Take all of that and apply it to Lorelai's engagement to Luke, their wedding, and maybe the announcement of those twins that were foreshadowed and we'd have had some truly wonderful moments. Properly spaced and it all leads to the final episode and a legitimately good relationship between Lorelai and her parents. 

Having the graduation template applied to the big moments in Lorelai's life is a fun thing to imagine because it always start with snarking and arguments and ends with smiles and heart. We did see a version of it when the big moments happened to Rory and those were nice but I wish they'd kept doing it with Lorelai as well.

Unrelated but I think that the Thanksgiving at Sookie's in season three looked like a hoot. You'd have to have at least two designated sober people to keep the guests from getting burned or setting themselves on fire but the rest of it was fun. And, Sookie, deep fried turkey is absolutely a thing so stop being weird. Notice that she left off chicken when she went through her list of things that you don't deep fry so I can only assume that fried chicken doesn't exist in the Gilmore Girls world. Seriously, though, you can deep fry anything but deep frying animals has existed for a long time. Don't let Sookie go to the South because we deep fry chicken, turkey, steak, pork, seafood, etc. She'd have a stroke at such a sight. 

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Don't let Sookie go to the South because we deep fry chicken, turkey, steak, pork, seafood, etc.

Ha! So true. For several years when we lived in town hubby would set up his turkey fryer on the front porch early Thanksgiving morning and his work buddies would come by in shifts and fry their turkeys before we left that afternoon to go have dinner with my family. Good times.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Tonight I've finally narrowed down a specific part of the series that was the exact template for what I wish we'd gotten: the scenes at the community college before, during, and after Lorelai graduates.

I second this. I've been on a Parks & Rec kick and there's also a good model there for Luke and Lorelai in Ben and Leslie. Seasons 4-7 have Ben and Leslie together and there's no threat that they'll ever split up. I think the key was that they each were fully developed characters and had things to do that weren't just about their relationship—all of which equally applies to the characters of Luke and Lorelai. Lorelai could have had storylines related to her career and family, and Luke could have had storylines related to being the town curmudgeon, as well as dealing with his own family. It wouldn't have been that different from the seasons where they weren't together, except you'd have more of them talking it over and trying to help each other (or accidentally get in each other's way), plus added storylines about them finding their groove as a couple, which can be interesting in its own right, even if the conflict is lower stakes than whether or not they should be together.

13 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

those twins that were foreshadowed

This was such a missed opportunity—not necessarily twins, but having Lorelai have at least one other kid with Luke. You'd have added Rory drama as well—Rory's feelings about being a much older sibling and her mother effectively starting a second family without her (much like her father did), or Lorelai feeling hurt when Rory (who I am imagining being already at Yale by the time the baby is born) takes about as much interest in her new sibling as she did in Gigi.

Even if Luke and Lorelai ultimately decided not to have kids, it would at least have been an interesting thing for them to mull over for a few episodes. But of course, if they're breaking up and getting back together and finding out about secret love children, it's not realistic—even in the Palladino universe—to raise the possibility of having [more] kids.

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, Hera said:

Even if Luke and Lorelai ultimately decided not to have kids, it would at least have been an interesting thing for them to mull over for a few episodes. But of course, if they're breaking up and getting back together and finding out about secret love children, it's not realistic—even in the Palladino universe—to raise the possibility of having [more] kids.

Anything would be more realistic then them being together for nine years before the revival and only starting to talk about it after all that time.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Hera said:

or Lorelai feeling hurt when Rory (who I am imagining being already at Yale by the time the baby is born) takes about as much interest in her new sibling as she did in Gigi.

Oh, I like that! Would have been interesting for sure.

57 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Anything would be more realistic then them being together for nine years before the revival and only starting to talk about it after all that time.

For real! 

• Love 4

I’m watching reruns on UP TV and tonight is Thanksgiving with the four dinners. Lorelei and Rory are at the table with Richard, Emily and their four guests from out of town. The conversation goes to grandchildren applying for college. Lorelei essentially forces Rory to admit the colleges she’s applied to, Rory lists Yale and then acts like a royal horse’s ass in front of her parents guests on Thanksgiving! Leave it alone, girl, until this day is over. You can discuss this with your daughter when you get home! You can be so rude and selfish and self absorbed. How dare you embarrass your daughter and your parents like that?

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I’m watching reruns on UP TV and tonight is Thanksgiving with the four dinners. Lorelei and Rory are at the table with Richard, Emily and their four guests from out of town. The conversation goes to grandchildren applying for college. Lorelei essentially forces Rory to admit the colleges she’s applied to, Rory lists Yale and then acts like a royal horse’s ass in front of her parents guests on Thanksgiving! Leave it alone, girl, until this day is over. You can discuss this with your daughter when you get home! You can be so rude and selfish and self absorbed. How dare you embarrass your daughter and your parents like that?

Right? I couldn't believe she could be that childish.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, SJC said:

And stupid. Only expecting Princess Rory to apply to ONE college ?!

Exactly. Also, it costs money to apply to those schools (or any school) so unless Chilton paid the fees, it's unlikely that Lorelai wouldn't have known where Rory was applying. If I remember correctly, Rory only applied to Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, all of which were and still are highly selective. Given that Chilton was apparently overseeing the college application process of its students, they definitely would have made Rory apply to a less selective place as her "safety school".

Given how invested Lorelai was in Rory's college prospects, she was shockingly ignorant of what the college application process actually looked like. This was all pretty common knowledge among the parents at my school when I was going through that nerve-wracking process myself.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Gam2 said:

I’m watching reruns on UP TV and tonight is Thanksgiving with the four dinners.

ADFKT is one of my very favorite episodes of the entire series.....up until the point that Lorelai starts acting a fool at the elder Gilmores' dinner. I hate her so much in that scene. E&R have certainly pulled their share of shenanigans but they were truly innocent in Rory having applied to Yale and Lorelai was just being an ass for the sake of being an ass. It was ridiculous.

• Love 5

Given how invested Lorelai was in Rory's college prospects, she was shockingly ignorant of what the college application process actually looked like. This was all pretty common knowledge among the parents at my school when I was going through that nerve-wracking process myself.

That struck me too. Everyone I knew and their parents were deeply involved to the application process. I couldn't believe Lorelai was so taken aback by what Rory was doing. I thought Rory was her "best friend"?

• Love 6

Best part of ADFKT is when they revisit Sookie and she has had more than a few margaritas: “Are you going to be ok?” “I’m Sookie”. Melissa was firing on all cylinders this episode, beginning with stressing out at the Inn and digging lettuce out of the garbage!

• Love 8
On 10/28/2021 at 2:11 PM, Hera said:

I second this. I've been on a Parks & Rec kick and there's also a good model there for Luke and Lorelai in Ben and Leslie. Seasons 4-7 have Ben and Leslie together and there's no threat that they'll ever split up. I think the key was that they each were fully developed characters and had things to do that weren't just about their relationship—all of which equally applies to the characters of Luke and Lorelai. Lorelai could have had storylines related to her career and family, and Luke could have had storylines related to being the town curmudgeon, as well as dealing with his own family. It wouldn't have been that different from the seasons where they weren't together, except you'd have more of them talking it over and trying to help each other (or accidentally get in each other's way), plus added storylines about them finding their groove as a couple, which can be interesting in its own right, even if the conflict is lower stakes than whether or not they should be together.

This was such a missed opportunity—not necessarily twins, but having Lorelai have at least one other kid with Luke. You'd have added Rory drama as well—Rory's feelings about being a much older sibling and her mother effectively starting a second family without her (much like her father did), or Lorelai feeling hurt when Rory (who I am imagining being already at Yale by the time the baby is born) takes about as much interest in her new sibling as she did in Gigi.

It really would have thrown a monkey wrench in the Rory and Lorelai are best friends and soul mate dynamic. Also, Rory probably would become a quasi mother to the new sibling because she is close to Lorelai and pretty much a non-mother-effing factor to Christopher. I have a much younger sibling and quasi parent/sibling hybrid is often the way the close relationships go.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That struck me too. Everyone I knew and their parents were deeply involved to the application process. I couldn't believe Lorelai was so taken aback by what Rory was doing. I thought Rory was her "best friend"?

Lorelai seemed to be so clueless about everything to do with higher education. She seemed to think Rory would apply to one school and be accepted immediately because she is Rory.

Of course, that is sort of what happened...

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Best part of ADFKT is when they revisit Sookie and she has had more than a few margaritas: “Are you going to be ok?” “I’m Sookie”.

"I don't remember these two, but they were served on the rocks with SALT!" LOLOL

Also, I use "Am I laughing or crying?" way too often to be considered sane.

• LOL 5
4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Best part of ADFKT is when they revisit Sookie and she has had more than a few margaritas: “Are you going to be ok?” “I’m Sookie”. Melissa was firing on all cylinders this episode, beginning with stressing out at the Inn and digging lettuce out of the garbage!

I like Melissa McCarthy some of the time on GG but a lot of the time she gets on my nerves. I like her a lot better on Mike and Molly. She's not nearly as annoying.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I've got the season 2 spa weekend episode on and Rory's entire storyline is one of the tv tropes I hate the most: the character who makes plans that get interrupted or prevented entirely. I get that following through on Rory having the night to herself without Paris, Jess, and Dean dropping by had the potential for boredom but I wish they'd cut all that out and either used that time to show more Lorelai/Emily bonding or use it for the next day after Rory had the quiet night she'd desired. Who cares that she wanted to do laundry her way and eat Indian food alone? That's what she wanted to do and Paris, Jess, and Dean were all assholes for not respecting that. She already had plans with Dean on Saturday, she could have studied with Paris on Sunday, and she was finding more and more reasons to be around Jess in general so having a night off was hardly going to screw up their lives or relationships.

On another note, ever since I came to the conclusion that the series (including the revival) ends with Rory becoming Christopher, watching her part of the early episodes has become fascinating. In the pilot we get Lorelai and Rory each saying that Rory is Lorelai's Mini Me so I now see the series as The Fall of Rory Gilmore, or Rory Gilmore Becomes Rory Hayden, or The Haydening of Rory Gilmore, or whatever Rory goes from being like Lorelai to being like Chris title that would be most appropriate. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I like Melissa McCarthy some of the time on GG but a lot of the time she gets on my nerves. I like her a lot better on Mike and Molly. She's not nearly as annoying.

I'm the opposite. (Well, I've never watched Mike and Molly so I can't really comment on that.) I find Lorelai far more annoying than Sookie. There were a handful of times Sookie really got on my nerves (forced vasectomy, I'm looking at you!) but not that many at all.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I've got the season 2 spa weekend episode on and Rory's entire storyline is one of the tv tropes I hate the most: the character who makes plans that get interrupted or prevented entirely. I get that following through on Rory having the night to herself without Paris, Jess, and Dean dropping by had the potential for boredom but I wish they'd cut all that out and either used that time to show more Lorelai/Emily bonding or use it for the next day after Rory had the quiet night she'd desired. Who cares that she wanted to do laundry her way and eat Indian food alone? That's what she wanted to do and Paris, Jess, and Dean were all assholes for not respecting that. She already had plans with Dean on Saturday, she could have studied with Paris on Sunday, and she was finding more and more reasons to be around Jess in general so having a night off was hardly going to screw up their lives or relationships.

On another note, ever since I came to the conclusion that the series (including the revival) ends with Rory becoming Christopher, watching her part of the early episodes has become fascinating. In the pilot we get Lorelai and Rory each saying that Rory is Lorelai's Mini Me so I now see the series as The Fall of Rory Gilmore, or Rory Gilmore Becomes Rory Hayden, or The Haydening of Rory Gilmore, or whatever Rory goes from being like Lorelai to being like Chris title that would be most appropriate. 

I think people said Rory was Lorelai's mini-me to be complimentary to Lorelai and they were both thin attractive brunette white women.

The truth is they were not particularly similar in personality and if they were, would probably clash like Emily and Lorelai. 

Rory was more like Lorelai's shadow except people gave her more shine than shade.

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

I'm the opposite. (Well, I've never watched Mike and Molly so I can't really comment on that.) I find Lorelai far more annoying than Sookie. There were a handful of times Sookie really got on my nerves (forced vasectomy, I'm looking at you!) but not that many at all.

Let's face it, the denizens of Star's Hollow are all pretty annoying with the exception of maybe, Luke.

• Love 9

I found most of the folks in Stars Hollow very entertaining and quirky in their own way. Gypsy with her auto repair business; Miss Patty for her dance studio, smoking at the door, having so many events at her studio; Luke’s diner for obvious reasons; Taylor for the obvious reasons. I think the best, most interesting was Kirk. He had 6,760 jobs, accumulated almost 250,000 to buy the mansion Luke wanted for Lorelei after their marriage, etc. He had almost every job in town and wasn’t really good at any of them but I rooted for him always. I really cannot imagine this show without Kirk. I appreciate his roles and this actor more than anyone else on this show.

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

He had almost every job in town and wasn’t really good at any of them but I rooted for him always. I really cannot imagine this show without Kirk.

I agree! I know people are divided on Kirk sometimes, but I always loved him. Even when he was trying to buy the Twickham house out from under Luke. 😅

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 10/29/2021 at 7:24 PM, Hera said:

Exactly. Also, it costs money to apply to those schools (or any school) so unless Chilton paid the fees, it's unlikely that Lorelai wouldn't have known where Rory was applying. If I remember correctly, Rory only applied to Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, all of which were and still are highly selective. Given that Chilton was apparently overseeing the college application process of its students, they definitely would have made Rory apply to a less selective place as her "safety school".

It really makes zero sense. They make Lorelai look so stupid about college and back up schools. Lorelai went to a private school until she was sixteen. Her parents' and every parent around her was all about college. She would have known the process and she would have made sure Rory applied to back ups. Lorelai would have heard dozens of stories of teens at her private school who didn't get into their dream college and probably from her parents too. Not to mention the various TV shows and movies where the kid didn't get into the college of their dreams. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

I liked Melissa McCarthy on both shows. At least until Mike and Molly turned into a crappy show. There were only a few times Sookie got on my nerves. Sookie in the Incredible Shrinking Lorelais and when she harasses Luke who's filling in for them at the inn because Sookie never bother to find a chef to temporary replace her while she was on maternity leave, and the whole vascetemy thing. I liked her and Jackson getting together. They were a really cute couple who were perfect for each other. She was just a really fun and funny character. 

• Love 2

[T]he conclusion that the series (including the revival) ends with Rory becoming Christopher

OMG. This is the most brilliant analysis I've ever hear. I love it. It's perfect, especially in the revival. Though I would like to hope that, post revival, Rory swings back to the Lorelai end of things, unless Logan/Wookie/Forgettable Boyfriend is going to become Lorelai! 

• Love 5

Another example of the show's disregard for consistency: a few episodes before Sookie's moaning about how "you don't deep fry turkey!" she's throwing a fit that Lorelai has allowed vegetarians to stay at the inn and wondering if she should slip them a bite of the stuffed pork chops on that night's menu to get them to stop being vegetarians. I considered focusing on the hypocrisy, and it is, but for me it fits more with the lack of consistency on the smaller details.

Also, maybe Sookie having a pre-planned meal like the stuffed pork chops is common at inns but in every other episode the Independence and Dragonfly Inns seemed to have regular restaurants where the guests and any non-guest customers ordered off a menu rather than being told what they'd eat. So her getting upset because a group of people weren't going to eat her stuffed pork chops shouldn't matter since, in theory, she and her staff would be making an assortment of things anyway since the menus would have more than one dinner item on them.

And it didn't sound like a special reservation that would warrant a specific pre-planned meal. It was just a silly reason for Sookie to go on an anti-vegetarian rant.

Regarding Rory applying to, and eventually attending, Yale, I still don't understand why Emily got so emotionally involved. She didn't attend Yale, she never gave any indication that it was her dream school and the period of time was all that kept her from getting in, yet she expressed hurt to Lorelai about being against Rory applying and later was as excited as Richard when she decided to attend. At best I've had to fanwank that it was because it's where she and Richard met, fell in loved, and got engaged but that still doesn't feel like enough of a reason for how invested she was in Rory attending his school.

I wish they'd have Emily maybe care about Rory attending a prestigious school, and wanting Lorelai to keep an open mind about Yale, but otherwise staying out of the fight. Or, have her throw her hat in and try to get Rory to attend Smith and point out that it's just as good as Harvard and Yale and she'd also love it if Rory followed in her footsteps.

• Love 5