Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

Oh wow, which song was it?

Confession: after who-knows-how-many rewatches of this show I’m still not sure which is Colin and which is Finn, they’re interchangeable in my mind 😂 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

Confession: after who-knows-how-many rewatches of this show I’m still not sure which is Colin and which is Finn, they’re interchangeable in my mind 😂 

Finn is the Australian 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Finn is there for comedy relief. Colin is the asshole.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Also, more evidence that Rory is a horrible friend: when Lane goes to South Korea for possibly forever, Rory doesn’t even give her a proper good-bye, just waves limply from a bench in the town square because she’s too busy snuggling with stupid Dean.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Kiki777 said:

Also, more evidence that Rory is a horrible friend: when Lane goes to South Korea for possibly forever, Rory doesn’t even give her a proper good-bye, just waves limply from a bench in the town square because she’s too busy snuggling with stupid Dean.

I respectfully disagree. Lane had been to Rory's house with her stuff and contact info. They said goodbye then. Plus, she talked to her earlier at the shower, another goodbye. What was she supposed to do? Rush over and stop the Kim's car, make her late for her plane? I just don't see Rory being a bad friend here.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 7/14/2022 at 4:38 PM, chessiegal said:

I respectfully disagree. Lane had been to Rory's house with her stuff and contact info. They said goodbye then. Plus, she talked to her earlier at the shower, another goodbye. What was she supposed to do? Rush over and stop the Kim's car, make her late for her plane? I just don't see Rory being a bad friend here.

I mean she’s going away and not really KNOWING when she would be back a good bye party even a small one was to much? Something at all other then see ya? … 

26 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I mean she’s going away and not really KNOWING when she would be back a good bye party even a small one was to much? Something at all other then see ya? … 

There was already an over-the-top wedding shower going on in that episode. I don't see any room in the plot for another party. Plus, who would she invite? We never see Rory and Lane with any other kids from Stars Hollow during the series. It wasn't part of show's storyline.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

There was already an over-the-top wedding shower going on in that episode. I don't see any room in the plot for another party. Plus, who would she invite? We never see Rory and Lane with any other kids from Stars Hollow during the series. It wasn't part of show's storyline.

100% understand what you are saying .. “show wise” it would have been super crowded.. story wise character wise and everything else it was a shit move that made it seem like eh she’s being shipped off oh well .. it didn’t have to be a big party just SOMETHING they are BEST FRIENDS for Christ sake 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

100% understand what you are saying .. “show wise” it would have been super crowded.. story wise character wise and everything else it was a shit move that made it seem like eh she’s being shipped off oh well .. it didn’t have to be a big party just SOMETHING they are BEST FRIENDS for Christ sake 

It would have been nice if Lorelai had invited Lane and her mom to dinner or something.

• Love 3
(edited)
13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It would have been nice if Lorelai had invited Lane and her mom to dinner or something.

Exactly… these two who would throw a party at the drop of a hat for a cat having kittens or whoop it up because it’s the 2nd Tuesday at 307 pm … but Didn't do something special for someone they have known FOREVER being shipped off with no return date? (I like to pretend they did it off camera because  It doesn’t even line up with their personality’s set in this show NOT to have done that)… it’s just an odd thing to really look at on rewatches .. she really didn’t always treat lane like the friend she should have.. (which in real life WE all are guilty of doing sometimes even unintentionally) 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, SJC said:

I can't remember...did Lane take Rory out to eat before she went backpacking in Europe ?

But wouldn’t Backpacking through Europe be a little bit different of a circumstance compared to being shipped away by your very upset mother with no way to contact and no idea when and if you will be returning? The least she could have done would be buy the girl a meal lol :) 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I was watching the Season 4 episode where Lorelai comes back to Jason's apartment for the first time. Jason reaches into an undercounter fridge and pulls out an already open bottle of white wine and pours them both a glass. When he pushes the fridge door, it doesn't go all the way closed, it stays slightly ajar. I've never noticed that before. Now it will drive me crazy that the fridge door wasn't completely closed! #I've watched this show too many times. 🤣

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 7/22/2022 at 10:55 AM, Keywestclubkid said:

Yeah, I do wish Rory got up and went to hug Lane or something. Lane thought she wasn't ever coming back. The little wave was okay. But I would have liked something a little more.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Random scene making me laugh today -- Lorelai and Rory sitting in Luke's playing 1-2-3 He's Yours. The way Rory perks up and says "Daddy!" when they see Kirk walking toward the diner just kills me every time. And Luke playing along is hilarious.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Random scene making me laugh today -- Lorelai and Rory sitting in Luke's playing 1-2-3 He's Yours. The way Rory perks up and says "Daddy!" when they see Kirk walking toward the diner just kills me every time. And Luke playing along is hilarious.

This makes me sad. Christopher was such a shitty dad.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

This makes me sad. Christopher was such a shitty dad.

Wasn't he though ?!
And the fact that Emily was so determined that he was the best choice for Lorelai showed true idiocy on her part.
Emily - the beautiful idiot. 🤪

• Love 1

Yea, remember when she softened up and complimented Lorelai for being "a kayak" ? Soft and sweet...then the very next morning she was cold as ice. Poor, pitiful Emily. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 8/1/2022 at 8:11 PM, chessiegal said:

Emily told Christopher to his face he was weak but came from good breeding - code for rich family. Oh, Emily. I so much want to like you, but then you do/say something like that. 🤕

You are weak you have always been weak ..(which he was and is I mean his behavior all throughout the show point to this.) She saw that her daughter was in love with this man FOR Most of her life (and points out they would have been together if GG hadn't come a long) and he was Rorys father. (all things if you were someones parent looking at it would agree with if you are being honest) .

She was trying to snap him into place that IF he wanted to be with her daughter he better stop being weak and ACT before Lorelei WAS completely committed to Luke and Married ( her noticing her interest in the wedding dresses) and it be too late again 

it came down to Chris being able to take care of her daughter to allow her to be whatever she could be (at least you won't hold her back) ... she wasn't thinking of herself AT all there ..did she use snobbish language (good breading) yes ... but again it was in the benefit of her daughters future NOT hers 

Emily is BLUT yes but everything she said was true and used to wake him up 

Edited by Keywestclubkid

Lorelai thought she was an embarrassment to her mother, not living the life Emily thought she should. Emily was not just thinking about Lorelai's life, she was thinking about her own place in Hartford society. Don't forget about Richard telling Lorelai how important it was for Emily to be served the first cup of tea when she said she wasn't going to the Bowie concert with the Hamm character. And then there is the great hope of Rory - that she would turn out the way Emily wanted Lorelai to turn out. I think Emily behaved the way she was brought up to behave in her high society situation. I think Emily loved Lorelai, but Lorelai just turned out to be a disappointment to her. That speech to Christopher before the vow renewal was because Emily didn't think Luke was good enough to be Rory's stepfather, he wasn't in the "right" social circles. Emily wasn't thinking about Lorelai's life - she was thinking about her great hope for Rory.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
Just now, chessiegal said:

Lorelai thought she was an embarrassment to her mother, not living the life Emily thought she should. Emily was not just thinking about Lorelai's life, she was thinking about her own place in Hartford society. Don't forget about Richard telling Lorelai how important it was for Emily to be served the first cup of tea when she said she wasn't going to the Bowie concert with the Hamm character. And then there is the great hope of Rory - that she would turn out the way Emily wanted Lorelai to turn out. I think Emily behaved the way she was brought up to behave in her high society situation. I think Emily loved Lorelai, but Lorelai just turned out to be a disappointment to her. That speech to Christopher before the vow renewal was because Emily didn't think Luke was good enough to be Rory's stepfather, he wasn't in the "right" social circles. Emily wasn't thinking about Lorelai's life - she was thinking about her great hope for Rory.

And OMG the way they drooled over Logan, you could just see what they had probably been like with young Christopher.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

"Lorelai thought she was an embarrassment to her mother" and there is the crutch of the problem that's what she had in her head ... NOT what was reality ..Emily wasn't hiding her away,, 

She wasn’t thinking about her placement .. it would have been NO different then her placement in society up until that point she has had a unwed daughter with child at a young age if it was gonna effect her standing it already would have I think

...she even tired to help luke franchisee his business.. it was about her daughter NOT struggling..IF you had a child who’s ex although NOT your favorite person could take care of your child and made your child happy why wouldn’t you want them to be together? She wasn’t selfish in this. I swear since this show is told from Lorelei perspective it feels a bit skewed to her point.

I mean Emily was so horrible that she  was going to buy them a house with stables just outside stars hollow cause she knew she wanted to be there and it would work for BOTH her and Luke to make her happy  .. yea what a bitch Emily was with that 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Like 1

I don't think Emily is a complete monster. But, c'mon, she blamed Lorelai for finding out that Richard and Pennilyn Lott met once a year for lunch. Exactly how was that Lorelai's fault? Only in Emily's head.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
33 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I don't think Emily is a complete monster. But, c'mon, she blamed Lorelai for finding out that Richard and Pennilyn Lott met once a year for lunch. Exactly how was that Lorelai's fault? Only in Emily's head.

Like mother like daughter 

22 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Do you think Richard did anything without Emily knowing in that situation? 

Yes, Richard lectured Emily after the Roast Luke dinner. He mansplained that she was going about it all wrong and what he was setting up with the franchise, rare coins guys, etc was the right way. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Richard and Emily are both the same level of monster. Richard gets a pass way too often, but his supercilious attitude is perceived as more acceptable than Emily's constant criticism.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Richard and Emily are both the same level of monster. Richard gets a pass way too often, but his supercilious attitude is perceived as more acceptable than Emily's constant criticism.

That's very true. Richard's just as terrible as Emily. He treats Lorelai crap just as much as Emily.  From the pilot episode when he's praising Christopher about what a great business man he is. The same deadbeat who refuses to support and raise his child. The same deadbeat who's had dozens of job. It was a swipe at Lorelai who's worked her way up to running the Independence. He continues that way throughout the series. When Lorelai goes to thank him for defending her against Stroub. He tells her he didn't do it for her but defending their last name. When Lorelai was mad at Emily over her trying to break up her and Luke, she talks to Richard and tells him they can still talk. But Richard agreed with Emily that she did what she had to do. He took no interest in Rory until he found out she liked to read. 

• Love 6

Does anyone know if there is a website where they source identify clothes/housewares/stuff in GG? In particular, the bag that Anna gives to Luke to take on April's class trip (it's a blue leather bag with a red and white stripe down the middle) - does anyone know what brand that is? My grandfather had one just like it and it made me nostalgic. If anyone knows the brand name I would be grateful!

• Useful 1
On 8/3/2022 at 6:07 PM, chessiegal said:

I don't think Emily or Richard are monsters.  As parents they make some questionable choices, and can be seriously misguided in how they approach Lorelai.  I always thought the biggest issue in the relationship was it froze when Lorelai was a teenager, and neither side was able to really move past that framing.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

UPTV is back to Season 1. Those first episodes are so refreshing. Lorelai has real food in the house. There's the scene where she pulls a bag of salad greens out of the fridge and dumps salad dressing on it and eats it out of the bag. Another scene there is a bowl of apples on the kitchen table. She picks one up and cuts a slice and eats it. Dean actually has a brain in his head, telling Rory she needs to give Hunter Thompson a try.

ETA: Stars Hollow had a mayor.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 9

I may have asked this before but I figure twice is better than never.

What do we think Rory's plan was in the season 3 premiere? She dressed up for Jess, clearly expecting him to have waited for her all summer, so she would look nice for their reunion. But she was still with Dean. Even if her expectations for Jess and their reunion had been accurate what was her next move? Was Jess going to break up with Dean for her? Was Lorelai? Was she going to avoid Dean hoping he would eventually assume they were over? Do we think her excitement at reuniting with Jess would have given her a spine and for once she'd be the dumper in the relationship? She had the whole summer to think about her relationships with both boys, so she couldn't pretend to be confused about her feelings, and did nothing either way.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

You really thought you could get away from me? I would've found you sooner if I'd bothered to look, but now I have. I found you. And all I can say is this: I want my board games back! I want them back and I want them back now! I will hunt you to the ends of the earth until I get them back especially the Trivial Pursuit!

• LOL 5
On 8/23/2022 at 7:44 PM, scarynikki12 said:

I may have asked this before but I figure twice is better than never.

What do we think Rory's plan was in the season 3 premiere? She dressed up for Jess, clearly expecting him to have waited for her all summer, so she would look nice for their reunion. But she was still with Dean. Even if her expectations for Jess and their reunion had been accurate what was her next move? Was Jess going to break up with Dean for her? Was Lorelai? Was she going to avoid Dean hoping he would eventually assume they were over? Do we think her excitement at reuniting with Jess would have given her a spine and for once she'd be the dumper in the relationship? She had the whole summer to think about her relationships with both boys, so she couldn't pretend to be confused about her feelings, and did nothing either way.

I’m editing this … lol

You know what after randomly catching the episode where Dean breaks up with her on UPtv  I am gonna woosah this deep feeling I weirdly have for things characters did on this show lol .. it’s just a tv show Trent and dwelling on small things will make me look insane lol 

…I just think she was coddled A LOT with some issues others would have been less forgiving for :) 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Season 4 on in the background. I really, really, REALLY wish the show had given Lorelai at least one more child. She was generally great with kids on the show and her kid(s) with Luke could have been friends with Kwan and Steve growing up. 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Follow up question: what do we think the May Wellington stuff was supposed to be about? Emily mentions her multiple times and clearly hates the woman and her husband yet it became nothing. I wonder what they were laying the groundwork for with all of that. 

• Useful 1