Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

For some reason one of those random scenes that make no sense popped into my head yesterday -- in It Should've Been Lorelai, when the kids are getting ready to do the assisted suicide debate, why did Paris choose the "pro" side to debate? Paris was consistently shown to do whatever school things would be most likely to get the best grade, so given the choice she would want to debate the side that would have the most support and be easiest to argue for. I would think that it would be much more difficult to argue FOR assisted suicide rather than against. Am I just misinterpreting that?

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

For some reason one of those random scenes that make no sense popped into my head yesterday -- in It Should've Been Lorelai, when the kids are getting ready to do the assisted suicide debate, why did Paris choose the "pro" side to debate? Paris was consistently shown to do whatever school things would be most likely to get the best grade, so given the choice she would want to debate the side that would have the most support and be easiest to argue for. I would think that it would be much more difficult to argue FOR assisted suicide rather than against. Am I just misinterpreting that?

Because she is so competitive she thought she could devastate her opponents with her superior brain. In debate in high school we took the anti impeach Nixon side. We got creamed. Hubris has a way of doing that.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/14/2022 at 7:10 PM, Hera said:

I would have liked to have seen Rory get rejected from Harvard and deal with that disappointment (and Lorelai as well—she would have been in the awkward situation of having to pretend the Harvard Dream hadn't been as important to her as it clearly was), while getting accepted to Yale and having the shadow of being a (highly-qualified) legacy admission hang over it a bit.

YES.  I've always said that it wou;d have been nice for RORY to not get into Harvard, and for PARIS to get in, but later decide that she (Paris) doesn't want to do what her parents expect her to do and ends up at Yale with Rory..  

Paris deserved better, and you'll never convince me that Rory got valedictorian over Paris.  Major BS there.  My biggest season 3 wish list was that *Rory would have been rejected from Harvard and Yale was the runner up.  *Rory would realize that journalism wasn't for a meek thing like her, and that in the age of the internet, probably a dying art form.  *Realize from her PSAT scores that perhaps she should go into a stem field, like medical research.  *Paris is Valedictorian.  

The series is excellent because of Stars Hollow.  The story of Rory is just kind of meh.  They didn't write about who Rory really was.  

Edited by Meow25
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Hard pass on the Emily prequel. What would it even be about? Rich, white, privileged girl goes to prestigious college, then gets married and stays as stay at home wife and mother. Yawn.

Truth to this.  I would love to see a prequel about Loralei new in Stars Hollow.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Maybe it's because it was 20 years ago, but I would think that being pro assisted suicide would be better received by young people than against. Or was this debate judged by some stuck up rightwing conservative school board? I don't remember.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Hard pass on the Emily prequel. What would it even be about? Rich, white, privileged girl goes to prestigious college, then gets married and stays as stay at home wife and mother. Yawn.

Not really. If Emily's mother had been in show biz before she got married, it would be amusing to see how she tried to fit into Society and how Emily became an uptight stick in the mud where under it all she was longing to break free just as Lorelai had. I can see young Emily dancing the Can Can with her girlfriends at some snotty party and her mom cheering her on and her dad's family being totally scandalized.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

IIRC, when Chilton won the coin toss on which side to take and Paris said pro, someone made a snide remark "of course". I can't remember who it was. Her picking pro fit with Paris's persona.

That was Brad (Adam Wylie)! He had a short stint at another school.

4 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Or was this debate judged by some stuck up rightwing conservative school board? I don't remember.

It was held at Chilton, judged by Chilton teachers, and Paris told Rory she sucked up to one of them ahead of time as extra insurance. Louise and Madeline would have won the debate in that scenario so Rory and Paris were just being themselves with all the prep they did.

I wouldn't want a prequel series centered on Emily. I would like to see one centered on her sister and have Emily be a recurring character at best. 

• Love 1

I've got Richard In Stars Hollow and it occurs to me that Paris' disdain for the bus and looking down on small towns and diners should have been why she hated Rory when she first came to Chilton. It never made sense why she was instantly threatened by a new student who came from a lower caliber school. I know she claimed it was about the class grades but all someone like her would really have cared about is her own GPA and class placement. If Paris hated her because she was a snob looking down on the country hick that would have made sense. Rory then being as smart and capable would have driven her crazy and we could have cheered her on.

Also, I know we should assume they won that fancy high school newspaper award once Paris decided to write about Taylor and Kirk censoring everything at the video store but it would have been nice to get confirmation. Leaving a detail like that always annoys me.

• Love 4

If Paris hated her because she was a snob looking down on the country hick that would have made sense. 

She did say something about Rory being a country hick from a hick town with bad schools. I think she was personally offended that she, Paris, from the upper echelons of society, should have to rub shoulders with someone as low class as Rory. When she found out about Richard and Emily she was somewhat mollified but I think what really put Rory in her own class in Paris' eyes was Tristan's crush on Rory.

• Love 6

Randomly watching the episode where they have the termites and a thought hit me has Lane is doing her "routine" with the squad...How the hell did Lane become a cheerleader? there is NO way on God's green earth that Ms.Kim would have allowed that ...NO WAY at all .. not only is there music shes wearing a short skirt and dancing and being around the boys basketball players she would have freaked out  ...... 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Randomly watching the episode where they have the termites and a thought hit me has Lane is doing her "routine" with the squad...How the hell did Lane become a cheerleader? there is NO way on God's green earth that Ms.Kim would have allowed that ...NO WAY at all .. not only is there music shes wearing a short skirt and dancing and being around the boys basketball players she would have freaked out  ...... 

I always thought we were to assume Mrs. Kim didn't know about the cheerleader gig. Lane was fairly good at keeping her other life from her mother.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I always thought we were to assume Mrs. Kim didn't know about the cheerleader gig. Lane was fairly good at keeping her other life from her mother.

But it was at night in the middle of town within eyeshot of her house…was she even allowed out late without her knowing where she was? When you start picking at it it just unravels 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

But it was at night in the middle of town within eyeshot of her house…was she even allowed out late without her knowing where she was? When you start picking at it it just unravels 

With GG, there are many times you just need to suspend disbelief. Mrs. Kim could have been away at some church function. 😉🤷‍♂️

• Useful 1

We only ever saw Lane wearing the white leggings under her uniform so maybe Mrs Kim felt that she was sufficiently covered up. Lane was also allowed to attend a coed school, join the coed marching band, and be around boys for school projects so maybe Mrs Kim was a secret fan of the cliched American high school experience (sans the dating parts of course).

• Love 3
10 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

We only ever saw Lane wearing the white leggings under her uniform so maybe Mrs Kim felt that she was sufficiently covered up. Lane was also allowed to attend a coed school, join the coed marching band, and be around boys for school projects so maybe Mrs Kim was a secret fan of the cliched American high school experience (sans the dating parts of course).

I still call no ... if she did let her cheerlead she would have been there to make sure she was being a "good girl" .... with the boys watching her... .... Everything that was told to us about Ms Kim points to this being a story line that would not have happened on her watch EVER...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Even Rory didn't know she was a cheerleader.

Cause she was busy with school and her bf and was spending no time with her lane says so herself in the episode that’s why Rory didn’t know. Lanes mother would be a different story 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Here's the transcript of "Secrets and Loans" in the beginning when Rory goes to Lane's house looking for Lane.

CUT TO KIM'S ANTIQUES
[Rory walks through the front door]

RORY: Hello? Lane?

MRS. KIM: What are you doing here?

RORY: Mrs. Kim, hi. I was just - .

MRS. KIM: Out.

RORY: What?

MRS. KIM: Out, out, out!

RORY: But I wiped off my feet.

MRS. KIM: Move! Move!

[Mrs. Kim ushers Rory outside]

RORY: I was just looking for Lane and I thought that maybe she was - .

MRS. KIM: Taylor says you have termites.

RORY: I don't have termites, my house does.

MRS. KIM: You are a carrier.

RORY: I don't think you can really be a termite carrier.

MRS. KIM: You'll spread it all over town.

RORY: Mrs. Kim, I swear, we don't control the termites. They move around on their own.

MRS. KIM: See all the furniture in there? Wood, all wood. You must go. Go now!

RORY: Can you just tell me if Lane is home?

MRS. KIM: No.

RORY: Well, do you know where she is?

MRS. KIM: School.

RORY: Still?

MRS. KIM: Yes, still. She's there, she's studying. What's that moving by your foot?

RORY: What?

Mrs. Kim thinks Lane is still at school because she is studying.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Here's the transcript of "Secrets and Loans" in the beginning when Rory goes to Lane's house looking for Lane.

Mrs. Kim thinks Lane is still at school because she is studying.

cheerleading would take up more time then one night there are practices and games and away games etc etc she would know ... I love this tho I love getting different opinions 

To talk about another thing what about when Lor freaked out about Rory and lane lying to the parents about where they are and says we should never lie to her mother (ms Kim) but in later seasons she has no problem with lane lying to her about what she’s doing 

I don’t want to come across as I don’t like the show and am picking on it cause I watch this pretty much daily and have seen episodes to many times to be healthy lol 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 3

As far as Lane's cheerleading, Rory's conversation with Mrs. Kim is enough to establish canon that Lane was hiding her cheerleading from her mom. Lane was an expert at hiding her hidden life from her mom. We find out in a later season when her mom finds all the hidden stuff under the floorboards she's been doing since she was very young.

As far as consistency, that is not the Palladinos MO. They are more about what plot suits the story du jour.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

As far as Lane's cheerleading, Rory's conversation with Mrs. Kim is enough to establish canon that Lane was hiding her cheerleading from her mom.

I concede… watching the episode back in the saddle Rory goes to hang out with lane after 9 and tells her mom that ms Kim is out of town till Sunday and her grandmother (must have been on lanes dads side cause Ms.Kim’s mother doesn’t even live in the country per lanes wedding episode and Rory never laying eyes on her before) was watching het but is in bed by 6 so they can sneak out. So yes it is plausible highly unlikely but there could be a case made for it… 

• Love 2

So yes it is plausible highly unlikely but there could be a case made for it… 

I mean, not really? Even back in the dark ages of the late 90s and early 00s in small town Connecticut (ask me how I know!), you needed signed permission forms and physicals to participate in activities like cheerleading and marching band, not to mention registration fees and instrument rentals (As an aside, did we ever know what instrument Lane played in the marching band?) and the upkeep on the uniforms. So unless the unseen-until-AYITL Papa Kim was secretly signing stuff and keeping it from Mama Kim, it seems deeply unlikely in any kind of real world way that Lane is getting away with that without parental knowledge.

This is another Palladino-verse thing that you have to ignore because if you think about it too hard the whole illusion falls apart.

• Love 7

Even back in the dark ages of the late 90s and early 00s in small town Connecticut (ask me how I know!), you needed signed permission forms and physicals to participate in activities like cheerleading and marching band, not to mention registration fees and instrument rentals 

Lane was good with floorboard concealment but I don't think she had added forgery to her repertoire.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

And he missed an opportunity to make himself Rory's hero and look good for Lorelai. All he had to do was ask them what was going on when Rory came home panicked, say he'd look out for it, and then later on pretend to find it in the yard. Instead he acted all shady and Lorelai thought he stole it.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

And he missed an opportunity to make himself Rory's hero and look good for Lorelai. All he had to do was ask them what was going on when Rory came home panicked, say he'd look out for it, and then later on pretend to find it in the yard. Instead he acted all shady and Lorelai thought he stole it.

Which he did.

• Love 4

I was thinking of something like this: 1) he joins Lorelai to find out what's wrong when Rory returns home panicked, 2) then, knowing that Rory's talking about the bracelet she left behind after their picnic date, he offers to help look, 3) after enough time that it won't be obvious that he had it all along he brings it to Lorelai to ask if it was the right bracelet and says he found it in the yard behind the house. None of the sneaking into Rory's room and risking getting caught or waiting a while to ask her about it and then (my interpretation) deciding to return the bracelet once he sees that she's genuinely upset about losing it (versus the loss upsetting Dean). Even if it hadn't been what I'm thinking the way he went about returning the bracelet made him look bad and messed up the nice rapport he had going with Lorelai. Which is fine as he was the GG version of Rory's Bad Boy Phase but he did later admit to Rory that his actions in season 2 were motivated by trying to steal her from Dean so a different approach could have earned him some easy points.

Speaking of Jess, I agree with Rory that everyone was going overboard in acting like he purposefully wrecked her car but I hate that she decided to assume the blame for the accident. There was no one to blame which was the whole point. It foreshadowed Doormat Rory who sat around waiting for Jess to call until Lorelai all but forced her out of the house in season 3 but that doesn't make it less annoying. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, SJC said:

More and more as time went on. 

I watch the old Perry Mason show in the mornings. I can't help noticing how smoothly Della runs Perry's office. She seems to know every phone number, who to talk to and how to set up whatever Perry needs. I would love to see Alexis do a reboot as Della Street, from Della's POV.

• Love 4

How interesting ! That would be good.

ETA: I *love* the old Perry Mason shows.
I get a kick out of how often Perry says, "Did you not ?"

Edited by SJC
  • Love 1

Just watched An Affair To Remember and got annoyed at Rory dissing the Yale libraries all over again. It was implied that she tried to study in one/all of them but it would have been nice to see her having trouble before finding her tree. And what did she do when the weather was bad or the temperature dropped?

Also, I have a confession to make. Last night I rewatched Dead Uncles... and when this exchange occurred:

Lorelai: I'm sorry I don't remember making an appointment with you.

Emily: We have to make appointments to see each other now?

Lorelai: Heh, good one.

I finally realized that Lorelai's response to Emily's appointments question was about how she and Rory had their standing appointment to see Emily and Richard at Friday Night Dinner. I have lost count how many times I've watched this episode and I only realized this last night.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Watching Ballrooms and Biscotti.  Another "Lorelai is annoying" moment-WHY can't she just tell Emily that she had to shop for Rory's dorm because they had the wrong move in date?  It's SO annoying.  Sure, Emily would've chastized her for being disorganized, but good grief.  Lorelai is always talking about how she and her mother don't communicate well, but it is ALWAYS Lorelai who isn't communicating with Emily.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Meow25 said:

Watching Ballrooms and Biscotti.  Another "Lorelai is annoying" moment-WHY can't she just tell Emily that she had to shop for Rory's dorm because they had the wrong move in date?  It's SO annoying.  Sure, Emily would've chastized her for being disorganized, but good grief.  Lorelai is always talking about how she and her mother don't communicate well, but it is ALWAYS Lorelai who isn't communicating with Emily.  

I think I'm one of the only people who sees this scene this way, LOL, but I think Rory being vague about Lorelai's whereabouts that evening was her way of her reinforcing to Emily that the new FND arrangement was with Rory ONLY and not the both of them. IMO Rory didn't want to give the impression that Lorelai still felt obligated to come to FND each week short of an "emergency" situation, so she downplayed the urgency of what Lorelai was doing that night. But, like I said, I'm pretty much the only one who reads the scene that way, ha ha.

• Love 3

I'm on the side that Rory should have said something to Emily but that she didn't because she didn't want to admit that she messed up the Yale orientation date. One of the consistent things about Rory Gilmore is that she didn't like it when she looked bad. Earlier in the episode we saw her go and set people straight about why she wasn't participating in Taylor's grand opening. She did that because she didn't like that there were people in town with a negative view of her. 

Emily already expected Lorelai to attend all the Friday Night Dinners under the new arrangement because she knew Lorelai would want to spend as much time with Rory as possible while school was in session. Lorelai herself mentioned this in the season 3 finale. So Rory telling Emily that Lorelai would have come to dinner were it not for the Yale shopping wouldn't have changed Emily's expectations but would have kept her from going into her snit. But then Rory would have had to explain that she'd written down the wrong date and risk the grandparents thinking she was capable of making a mistake.

Moving on, one character I'm glad was not made permanent is Glen. In the dorm party we overhear him arguing that the people who pump gas shouldn't be allowed to vote, he shows creepy behavior multiple times with various girls, and ends the season by telling Rory that he's getting back with his still in high school girlfriend and prefers to carry the picture of her when she's twelve. Red flags all over the place and I'm glad they dumped him from the show.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Moving on, one character I'm glad was not made permanent is Glen.

Glen was all kinds of disturbing and not at all a good addition to the show. On a different show he probably would have been the focus of a Very Special Episode where he was a school shooter, committed suicide, or both.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

On a different show he probably would have been the focus of a Very Special Episode where he was a school shooter, committed suicide, or both.

He did! Ethan Cohn was the killer (killed his sister) in "Mr. Monk and the Flying Saucer".

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

I'm on the side that Rory should have said something to Emily but that she didn't because she didn't want to admit that she messed up the Yale orientation date. One of the consistent things about Rory Gilmore is that she didn't like it when she looked bad. Earlier in the episode we saw her go and set people straight about why she wasn't participating in Taylor's grand opening. She did that because she didn't like that there were people in town with a negative view of her. 

Emily already expected Lorelai to attend all the Friday Night Dinners under the new arrangement because she knew Lorelai would want to spend as much time with Rory as possible while school was in session. Lorelai herself mentioned this in the season 3 finale. So Rory telling Emily that Lorelai would have come to dinner were it not for the Yale shopping wouldn't have changed Emily's expectations but would have kept her from going into her snit. But then Rory would have had to explain that she'd written down the wrong date and risk the grandparents thinking she was capable of making a mistake.

Moving on, one character I'm glad was not made permanent is Glen. In the dorm party we overhear him arguing that the people who pump gas shouldn't be allowed to vote, he shows creepy behavior multiple times with various girls, and ends the season by telling Rory that he's getting back with his still in high school girlfriend and prefers to carry the picture of her when she's twelve. Red flags all over the place and I'm glad they dumped him from the show.

She really should have. She knew why Emily was upset and chose to make it sound like her mother had just blown off the dinner. Then she called Lorelai to come and "save" her. Which of course Lorelai does. The whole thing was Rory's fault.

I agree about Glen. He was way too creepy. 

• Love 2

Quoting myself since it wasn't about season 2.

2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

At that point in the series it was probably more important to leave Rory out of it. Show that Lorelai and her parents were able to have such moments for their relationship and not just because they all love Rory. Also, we had to set up the Jess kiss and Rory's Bad Boy phase so she had to let Lorelai down.

If the Ps hadn't thrown their tantrum then we could have had Rory and the grandparents have a great moment with Lorelai at her wedding to Luke or when she had the second kid she once said she wanted. 

• Love 4