Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

I don't mind that the show deviates from what would happen IRL. It's entertainment and fiction. Don't most tv shows, movies, plays, books that are fiction and done to entertain take you out of reality? I accidentally stumbled on this show around 2004 while on a business trip - caught a rerun while I was in my room waiting to go to happy hour. I was attracted to the snappy dialogue and funny story lines. I became hooked. For years my husband would roll his eyes every time he saw I was watching it. I have all the DVDs. I've finally stopped watching except for my favorite episodes when I see they are coming on. Say what you will about the Palladinos, they created a great show with some fine actors that have given me many hours of entertainment. I'm delighted to know that The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is filming season 4, because that is another really entertaining and well done show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I don't mind that the show deviates from what would happen IRL. It's entertainment and fiction. Don't most tv shows, movies, plays, books that are fiction and done to entertain take you out of reality?

Yeah.  tv shows aren't documentaries.  It does bug me when they greatly ignore continuity or rules that they've established on their own show.  But I certainly don't care if Yale's semester schedule lines up with real Yale's schedule, or if the town layout is unrealistic, or if you are or are not supposed to put yeast in sugar cookies.  I have no problem snarking on this stuff in a fun way, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of a show.

• Love 10
On 8/10/2021 at 2:07 PM, Katy M said:

I don't think it was supposed to be that small. Maybe 8 thousand. With Lorelai and Rory just hanging out at the parts that were in walking distance of their house. It was definitely a weird lay out.

That reminds me how Lorelai and the show acted like Rory was beloved in Stars Hollows. I never really got that idea. It always seem to me Rory was liked by the group that lived near them and they hung out with Luke, Babette, Miss Patty, and Taylor.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 8/10/2021 at 5:42 PM, chessiegal said:

I don't mind that the show deviates from what would happen IRL. It's entertainment and fiction. Don't most tv shows, movies, plays, books that are fiction and done to entertain take you out of reality?

100% agree.
The snarking is just fun though. 😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SJC said:

The snarking is just fun though. 😁

There's an old thread on here (I think it still is) titled You Know You're From Stars Hollow When.... that's lots of fun to read through.

We snark because we care. Truly.

• Love 3

I always thought Emily would have been happier with a houseful of children and she and Lorelai would not have had such a contentious relationship. I wish they had had a scene where Emily talked about why the Gilmores only had one child. She could have had a series of miscarriages or lost a child to SIDs or something that showed a bit of vulnerability. Something that Lorelai may not have known and but would help her understand her mother.  I think that the Palladinos missed so many opportunities to make Emily a more rounded character - it is a testament to Kelly Bishop's skills that she was able to bring so much nuance to the part.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
50 minutes ago, Insert Username said:

I wish they had had a scene where Emily talked about why the Gilmores only had one child

I have always wondered about that, personally. E&R certainly didn't have a loveless marriage where Emily considered her "duty" done once she had produced a child.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Taryn74 said:

I have always wondered about that, personally. E&R certainly didn't have a loveless marriage where Emily considered her "duty" done once she had produced a child.

Medical reason, maybe.  Both my parents are onlies do to medical problems.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Insert Username said:

I always thought Emily would have been happier with a houseful of children and she and Lorelai would not have had such a contentious relationship. I wish they had had a scene where Emily talked about why the Gilmores only had one child. She could have had a series of miscarriages or lost a child to SIDs or something that showed a bit of vulnerability. Something that Lorelai may not have known and but would help her understand her mother.  I think that the Palladinos missed so many opportunities to make Emily a more rounded character - it is a testament to Kelly Bishop's skills that she was able to bring so much nuance to the part.

39 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Kelley Bishop did an amazing job with the character.

At this point, Emily might be my favorite Gilmore Girl, though she had her own issues.

• Love 6

It was surprising since you know their respective families would have believed in the value of sons. Trip 100% would have held the lack of one against Emily since he’d have been expected to attend Yale and carry on the Gilmore traditions. Naming the only child after her wouldn’t have been enough. Even Lorelai makes a comment about what was expected of her and it was to enter society, attend Vassar, and marry well. Nothing about attending Yale and following in Richard’s footsteps.

Even if I pretend that Trix was fine with no grandsons I think she’d have held the only child situation against Emily so the lack of explanation is annoying.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

It was surprising since you know their respective families would have believed in the value of sons. Trip 100% would have held the lack of one against Emily since he’d have been expected to attend Yale and carry on the Gilmore traditions. Naming the only child after her wouldn’t have been enough. Even Lorelai makes a comment about what was expected of her and it was to enter society, attend Vassar, and marry well. Nothing about attending Yale and following in Richard’s footsteps.

Even if I pretend that Trix was fine with no grandsons I think she’d have held the only child situation against Emily so the lack of explanation is annoying.

Richard was an only child too though. They just seem to be a one and done family.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Richard was an only child too though. They just seem to be a one and done family.

True but Richard was male so he could carry on the Gilmore name and traditions as everyone would expect so being an only child wouldn't matter as much.

Now, to be fair to Richard, I don't think he'd have had an issue if Lorelai had attended Yale before making the Gilmore name proud in the hotel industry and we know his pride in Rory was almost unequaled so he probably wasn't bothered by only having one child and no sons.

I'm just surprised that there was no indication that anyone in his or Emilly's families expressed disappointment at them having only one child and not being a boy. That was a missed opportunity from the Ps especially where Trix was concerned considering the mentality of the era and their social class. Oh! Maybe one of the reasons she could have continued to resent Richard picking Emily was that Pennilyn went on to have many children to carry on her husband's family traditions while Emily only had Lorelai who caused a scandal among their peers. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Oh! Maybe one of the reasons she could have continued to resent Richard picking Emily was that Pennilyn went on to have many children to carry on her husband's family traditions while Emily only had Lorelai who caused a scandal among their peers. 

I wonder if Pennilynn Lott did have sons. That would be another thing for her to hold against Emily.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I wonder if Pennilynn Lott did have sons.

Wouldn't it be amusing if Rory married one of her sons?
IF she had any of course .... 
Emily would lose her mind!! 😵

• LOL 4

They never seemed like the type that only wanted one. You'd think they would have tried for the male heir. It would be interesting to find out if it didn't work out, medical reasons, problems from Lorelai's birth or they really were one and done? The last one seems unlikely given they would be expected to try for a son. There's no way Trix wouldn't have held that against Emily. Although if it was problems from Lorelai's birth or any medical reason after her Emily probably would have held that against Lorelai.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, SJC said:

Wouldn't it be amusing if Rory married one of her sons?
IF she had any of course .... 
Emily would lose her mind!! 😵

Maybe Pennilynn's son was the Wookie? LOLOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Although if it was problems from Lorelai's birth or any medical reason after her Emily probably would have held that against Lorelai.

She would have, Emily was a quite a grudge holder. ☹️

Saint Emily the Martyr. 

• Love 3

Awww... The character of Emily brings so much to the show. You need that tension between Lorelai and Emily. My 2 favorite episodes of the entire series are "A Scene at the Mall" and the next episode of "The Reigning Lorelai". 

• Love 10
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Awww... The character of Emily brings so much to the show. You need that tension between Lorelai and Emily. My 2 favorite episodes of the entire series are "A Scene at the Mall" and the next episode of "The Reigning Lorelai". 

True. It's hard to imagine GG without Emily.
Kelly Bishop is fantastic in that role.

• Love 7
On 8/10/2021 at 6:42 PM, chessiegal said:

I don't mind that the show deviates from what would happen IRL. It's entertainment and fiction. Don't most tv shows, movies, plays, books that are fiction and done to entertain take you out of reality? I accidentally stumbled on this show around 2004 while on a business trip - caught a rerun while I was in my room waiting to go to happy hour. I was attracted to the snappy dialogue and funny story lines. I became hooked. For years my husband would roll his eyes every time he saw I was watching it. I have all the DVDs. I've finally stopped watching except for my favorite episodes when I see they are coming on. Say what you will about the Palladinos, they created a great show with some fine actors that have given me many hours of entertainment. I'm delighted to know that The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is filming season 4, because that is another really entertaining and well done show.

I agree.  There were definitely things to snark about, but I have watched the series 4 times because it is a great show with so much more good than bad.  I think sometimes the holes and gaps get too much attention over the heart of the series.

• Love 6
On 8/13/2021 at 11:40 AM, Taryn74 said:

Maybe Pennilynn's son was the Wookie? LOLOL

This is now canon in my head and no one will ever dissuade me.

"And.....I guess Paris is next." LOLOL

It always cracks me up when Paris tries to sit to the side and let someone prattle on, but she can only take it for so long before she snaps. One of my daughter's roommates in college basically was Paris and it was SO funny to listen to stories about her. My daughter is chill enough that they got along fine as long as she stayed out of roommate's way when she was on a tear (my daughter was kind of like early Rory around her, but she was never quite as spineless as Rory could sometimes be) but other people would run when they knew roommate was coming. Bahahhahahaha.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/13/2021 at 12:35 PM, JAYJAY1979 said:

When doing a rewatch, have gotten a new love of Madeline and Louise. Shame they vanished after season 4.

Both were ahead of the curve and thought outside the box:

In this clip, both of their ideas are now kind of a reality.

Oh, Lord...this makes me wish that Richard could be Paris's unofficial grandfather.

I think he just sparkles with her. Rory was great but sometimes she could be like a limp dishrag.

• Love 6
On 9/17/2021 at 6:51 PM, Keywestclubkid said:

Did lane stick with her vow of chastity? I mean she was pretty traumatized that one and only time she did it… 

Nah, once she got over the shock of finding out she was pregnant and got to feeling better physically, I think it's pretty obvious she and Zach resumed a healthy sex life. There was even a scene in one of the episodes where they kind of jumped each other, as I recall. LOL.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Nah, once she got over the shock of finding out she was pregnant and got to feeling better physically, I think it's pretty obvious she and Zach resumed a healthy sex life. There was even a scene in one of the episodes where they kind of jumped each other, as I recall. LOL.

I felt so bad for Lane. Her horrible mother instilled that sex aversion in her so that she waited until marriage, then she had a bad first experience and got pregnant much earlier than she wanted. And of course she would not have considered abortion with her upbringing (not that abortion was ever considered as a viable option on GG). Season 7 sucked for women.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I felt so bad for Lane. Her horrible mother instilled that sex aversion in her so that she waited until marriage, then she had a bad first experience and got pregnant much earlier than she wanted. And of course she would not have considered abortion with her upbringing (not that abortion was ever considered as a viable option on GG). Season 7 sucked for women.

Her wonderful mother instilled good values in her so that she waited for marriage and didn't end up with a string of bad mistakes like Rory.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Her wonderful mother instilled good values in her so that she waited for marriage and didn't end up with a string of bad mistakes like Rory.

22 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Well, I guess both Lorelai and Mrs. Kim did not want their daughters to be Lorelei (or so they said).

Didn't both daughters end up pregnant before marriage? Not that I care but it was one of the things their mothers probably hoped to avoid.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

Didn't both daughters end up pregnant before marriage?

If you're asking about Lane, no. She and Zach waited for the honeymoon to have sex and got pregnant right away. That was the whole point of the Whoopee episode.

• Love 3

I've got the Yale visit episode on right now. So what do we think was going on with the maid that was told several times not to put walnuts in the salad and yet kept doing it? If it was the same maid from 3x02 who had a hard time distinguishing between the doorbell and the oven timer then I'd understand but, other than the walnut thing, there was no indication this new maid was that scatterbrained. The two flashes we had of her she seemed to be crying so I've personally narrowed it down to a language barrier or some kind of tragedy in her personal life distracting her.

Also this episode is a nice example of Rory's lack of spine. As soon as Richard mentions taking the day trip to visit Yale she knew what he was doing and that Lorelai would recognize it and get upset. Yet she doesn't suggest bringing Lorelai into the conversation or point out to Richard that, no matter how innocent the question, him asking her to take the trip away from everyone else would seem shady. It does allow Rory to get mad at him for not being fully honest about the trip and leaving her unprepared in the impromptu interview with Richard's friend in Admissions but if she'd had a spine with him she would have done it the right way. Also the nice time the four were having walking around campus could have been the entire trip since the big fight would have occurred at that Friday Night Dinner.

All the Gilmores really were their own worst enemies.

Edited to add: I also like that Emily, who insisted that Lorelai and Rory pack full duffel bags of clothes in the event that they needed to change or the weather got bad, failed to do the same and needed Lorelai to help her keep her skirt fastened. And Lorelai was obviously having such a nice time that she let that perfect opportunity to throw Emily's hypocrisy in her face go right by her.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Also this episode is a nice example of Rory's lack of spine. As soon as Richard mentions taking the day trip to visit Yale she knew what he was doing and that Lorelai would recognize it and get upset. Yet she doesn't suggest bringing Lorelai into the conversation or point out to Richard that, no matter how innocent the question, him asking her to take the trip away from everyone else would seem shady.

Eh, I kind of understand Rory's POV on this one. She knew if she had time to talk to Lorelai about it privately she would have a chance to talk her down off the ledge and avoid the exact sort of situation which occurred in the Thanksgiving episode where Lorelai completely flew off the handle and made an ass of herself. To be fair to Rory (which I am loathe to do anymore, as I pointed out the other day LOL) she didn't even suspect this was going to be anything other than a nice, innocent trip down memory lane for Richard as he took her around the Yale campus. If she had known he was setting up an interview for her and chose not to tell Lorelai about it, then yes, that would have totally been out of line and unfair of her.

31 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I also like that Emily, who insisted that Lorelai and Rory pack full duffel bags of clothes in the event that they needed to change or the weather got bad, failed to do the same and needed Lorelai to help her keep her skirt fastened.

Ha! Good point.

• Love 4

So here's a question: would it really be noticeable if Rory got a run in her pantyhose at the coming out party? Emily buys her twelve pairs and tells Lorelai that Rory's bound to have a run. Here's the thing: Rory's dress had an ankle length skirt and there was no indication that she'd be lifting the hem high enough for anyone to notice the state of her pantyhose. I'll even take it further and assume that Emily's and Richard's stuffy society friends would be horrified at the mere thought of one of the debutantes showing off any part of her leg higher than her ankles at the event so the pantyhose thing seemed overblown.

But I also have no experience with society parties so maybe debutantes do find themselves in situations where a run in their pantyhose is at risk of being seen and the twelve pairs Emily bought is reasonable.

On another note one of my favorite moments from the show is the season 2 premiere when Emily can't contain herself and reveals that Rory finished in the top 3% after her first year at Chilton. I love that whole exchange;

Emily: Rory finished in the top 3%!!!!!

Rory and Lorelai: ::no reaction whatsoever::

Lorelai: I know

Emily: You do? Well who do you know at Chilton?

Lorelai: Um....Rory 

Emily: Oh

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

So here's a question: would it really be noticeable if Rory got a run in her pantyhose at the coming out party? Emily buys her twelve pairs and tells Lorelai that Rory's bound to have a run. Here's the thing: Rory's dress had an ankle length skirt and there was no indication that she'd be lifting the hem high enough for anyone to notice the state of her pantyhose. I'll even take it further and assume that Emily's and Richard's stuffy society friends would be horrified at the mere thought of one of the debutantes showing off any part of her leg higher than her ankles at the event so the pantyhose thing seemed overblown.

But I also have no experience with society parties so maybe debutantes do find themselves in situations where a run in their pantyhose is at risk of being seen and the twelve pairs Emily bought is reasonable.

It's been a couple of decades since I've worn pantyhose but I remember it not taking much at all for a hole to cause a run to reach all the way down to the seam at the toes. Besides, not many people are going to have a chance to see my underwear but I don't run around wearing holey underwear either LOL.

11 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Emily: You do? Well who do you know at Chilton?

Lorelai: Um....Rory

That line delivery always cracks me up!

• Love 4

Watching Jess' first episode on the show and I don't understand why he mentions the high school saying the Pledge in six different languages among the things he instantly hates about Stars Hollow. He's from New York and should not only be familiar with the concept of multiple cultures being represented in the community but be comfortable with it.

I also wish they'd kept his backstory as his father abandoning him two years before his arrival rather than the revolving door of stepfathers. The former can work with the hippie Liz who joined the show while the latter did not.

Moving on, I will never understand Paris' "the point is to get an A" attitude about the Shakespeare project. The teacher makes it clear that they need to interpret their scene in a non-traditional manner, cites the Sonny and Cher interpretation from a previous year as her favorite example, and then emphasizes how important the parameters are by saying it would be 50% of their grade. Paris then decides to ignore what the teacher said and has the group do a traditional interpretation even though she claims that getting an A is all that matters. I once had an assignment where we were to interview someone who was alive in the 1940s and then write a paper about their experiences. Our teacher stressed that we had to give the paper an actual title and anyone who called it "Interview" or included the word (eg, Interview With Grandma) would automatically get no higher than a C. He also told us that he was doing this so that we would use our imaginations for our titles as well as the content of our papers. I think about 60% of us didn't believe him and found that out the hard way. I wish we'd gotten word that the Shakespeare teacher had also done this and given them a C for not following instructions.

Finally, I agree with everyone who hates Sookie's "she'll date anyone before she'll date me" line when Lorelai is annoyed by Luke's attitude about her younger date. It was one of those moments when a character held up Luke's crush to Lorelai's face in an attempt to keep her from being oblivious. It may have worked had Luke asked Lorelai out a few episodes earlier and been turned down due to it being too soon after the engagement. But he didn't and so what Sookie needed to do was encourage Lorelai to act on her own feelings for Luke rather than be Team Luke when he's being snippy about her going on a date.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

On another note one of my favorite moments from the show is the season 2 premiere when Emily can't contain herself and reveals that Rory finished in the top 3% after her first year at Chilton.

I like that moment too (really, the first three seasons of Gilmore Girls are cozy, comfort watching for me), but I always wondered why the top 3% got singled out at Chilton, as opposed to top 5% or top 10%.

4 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Watching Jess' first episode on the show and I don't understand why he mentions the high school saying the Pledge in six different languages among the things he instantly hates about Stars Hollow. He's from New York and should not only be familiar with the concept of multiple cultures being represented in the community but be comfortable with it.

This is a good point. You'd think his complaints would be in the other direction: that everyone looks, dresses, and acts the same, he misses hearing people yell at each other in Ukrainian (or some other language), and that what the locals call Chinese food is a joke. We've been over this in the nit-picking thread, but the show could never really settle on what kind of town Stars Hollow was or even its size. Sometimes, they made it seem like a place for misfits, and other times it came across as a small town with little tolerance for any transgressive behavior. Aside from that one line from Jess, we were never led to believe the town or the school's student body was particularly diverse.

4 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Moving on, I will never understand Paris' "the point is to get an A" attitude about the Shakespeare project. The teacher makes it clear that they need to interpret their scene in a non-traditional manner, cites the Sonny and Cher interpretation from a previous year as her favorite example, and then emphasizes how important the parameters are by saying it would be 50% of their grade.

My high school was big on assignments like this, to the point where it sometimes felt like constructing a convincing justification was more important than the quality of end product (although if the quality was very high and/or something that our jaded teachers hadn't seen before, that was definitely worth extra points as well). I looked up the script for that episode and the teacher doesn't actually say that the interpretation has to be original, just that the students needed to "interpret the scene in [their] own individual manner" and that it should "highlight the themes [they] see in the scene". I'm sure Paris could/would argue that their choice of a traditional Elizabethan theme is appropriate because the scene is a classic and upholds X, Y, and Z social and/or theatrical conventions of the Elizabethan era, which they emphasized through their use of A, B, and C elements in their production.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Hera said:

I looked up the script for that episode and the teacher doesn't actually say that the interpretation has to be original, just that the students needed to "interpret the scene in [their] own individual manner" and that it should "highlight the themes [they] see in the scene". I'm sure Paris could/would argue that their choice of a traditional Elizabethan theme is appropriate because the scene is a classic and upholds X, Y, and Z social and/or theatrical conventions of the Elizabethan era, which they emphasized through their use of A, B, and C elements in their production.

That's the way I've always seen it. The scenes surrounding it didn't do a good job of fleshing it out, but I think that's what Paris had in mind for sure.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Hera said:

but I always wondered why the top 3% got singled out at Chilton, as opposed to top 5% or top 10%.

When Bitty was telling her about Rory's grades she may have just mentioned her placement and Emily went on to make a big deal about the 3% thing.

18 minutes ago, Hera said:

I looked up the script for that episode and the teacher doesn't actually say that the interpretation has to be original, just that the students needed to "interpret the scene in [their] own individual manner" and that it should "highlight the themes [they] see in the scene". I'm sure Paris could/would argue that their choice of a traditional Elizabethan theme is appropriate because the scene is a classic and upholds X, Y, and Z social and/or theatrical conventions of the Elizabethan era, which they emphasized through their use of A, B, and C elements in their production.

You're correct but the teacher making a point to praise the non-traditional interpretations coupled with Rory's later "Elizabethan? But I thought the point of this was to..." that Paris interrupts makes it clear to me that the point is a non-traditional interpretation. What we saw of the other groups showed this as well. 

Literally as I typed that I remembered that Paris ended up playing Romeo so, technically, they did do a non-traditional interpretation when all was said and done. So my objection to Paris ignoring what their teacher clearly wanted still stands but I'll let the lack of resolution go since Tristan's delinquency forced their hand.

41 minutes ago, Hera said:

You'd think his complaints would be in the other direction: that everyone looks, dresses, and acts the same, he misses hearing people yell at each other in Ukrainian (or some other language), and that what the locals call Chinese food is a joke.

Exactly. The show even makes a point of doing a tracking shot of the town from Jess' point of view when he first arrives and there's a mother and child dressed exactly the same among the cutesy people and buildings he sees. Him seeing Stars Hollow as hell on earth in part because they're all quirky in the same way would make sense. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

as I typed that I remembered that Paris ended up playing Romeo so, technically, they did do a non-traditional interpretation when all was said and done.

In Shakespeare's time, all the parts, male and female, were played by men.

• Love 2

Started to watch again on Netflix after attempting this a few times in the past and never finishing, and I finally fell in love with the show! I’ve watched the first nine episodes so far and am very here for the Emily snark. “This is not a drive thru; she is not fried chicken.” (Personal note: My own gram has very similar mannerisms and would definitely do things like try to buy her granddaughters cashmere and pearls for their birthday. Although she and my grandfather are not wealthy the way Emily and Richard are, but not poor either.)  

On a more serious note I’m interested to more closely watch the family dynamics and pick up on Rory’s and Lorelai’s strengths and flaws. And I forgot Kirk had showed up in S1. For some reason I remembered him coming later but that must have to do for when he was added to the main cast. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Love 4