Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Quoting myself since it wasn't about season 2.

If the Ps hadn't thrown their tantrum then we could have had Rory and the grandparents have a great moment with Lorelai at her wedding to Luke or when she had the second kid she once said she wanted. 

That would have been great. In the end Lorelai never gets one. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Then she called Lorelai to come and "save" her.

That's the part I most have a problem with.  Lorelai can  not be at dinner for any reason she chooses and maybe Rory didn't feel like deciding what Lorelai would want said (though she could have asked beforehand).  But, she's an adult now. She made a deal to come to dinner.  Dinner ends a reasonable lenght of time after dessert.  Emily knew she had to move into the dorms then next day.  Just say "thanks for dinenr, I have to get going now."  "No, I don't want to watch competitive ballroom dancing, but thanks for the offer.  Goodbye."  Talk about looking bad.  When Lorelai got there, Emily even said Rory could have left at any time, she wasn't a hostage.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

That's the part I most have a problem with.  Lorelai can  not be at dinner for any reason she chooses and maybe Rory didn't feel like deciding what Lorelai would want said (though she could have asked beforehand).  But, she's an adult now. She made a deal to come to dinner.  Dinner ends a reasonable lenght of time after dessert.  Emily knew she had to move into the dorms then next day.  Just say "thanks for dinenr, I have to get going now."  "No, I don't want to watch competitive ballroom dancing, but thanks for the offer.  Goodbye."  Talk about looking bad.  When Lorelai got there, Emily even said Rory could have left at any time, she wasn't a hostage.

Yep. That kind of namby pamdyness is exactly why Rory would have made a crap journalist.

• Love 3

Here's a question: how did Jess not get noticed when he returned to Stars Hollow to get his car? He didn't show up at the crack of dawn in disguise. He arrived midday/midafternoon and in the clothes he always wore. This guy was disliked/hated by almost the entire town so you'd think they'd not only spot him immediately but would start spreading the word and Luke would have heard about it. Yet Luke assumed the car had been stolen by a random and was surprised to see Jess.

Another thing I'm not wild about in season 4 was Paris' relationship with Asher Fleming. Starting with the smaller stuff, I hate how blasé she is about cheating on Jamie and then dumping him over the phone. She's all smug about having two boyfriends when Rory confronts her and then later claims to feel really bad about how she treated Jamie. No, Paris, you don't. You liked stringing Jamie along and being the latest undergrad girlfriend of Asher. 

Now let's get to the bigger stuff. How the Ps thought it was a good idea to have 18/19 year old Paris get into a sexual relationship with a man in his 60s is beyond me. Asher Fleming was a skeevy MeToo predator who was known for liking them young. That relationship should have ended with Paris getting dumped in favor of the next freshman class. Instead we were asked to buy that Asher had real feelings for her and their relationship would have lasted had he not died. We got jokes about the age difference and some age related grossed out reactions from Lorelai and Rory but nothing about how flat out wrong the relationship was nor any concerns about whether Paris was being taken advantage of. I can only assume that there was some feedback along these lines before season 5 and that's why he was killed off and Paris eventually got with Doyle.

• Love 6

Asher Fleming felt like an abandoned arc to me. He hooked up with Paris, then Rory got a good grade on a paper in his class, despite feeling like it wasn't very good (and with Fleming being a notoriously hard grader). It felt to me like they were setting it up for Asher to hit on Rory, but that ended up not happening—in fact, I think at one point, Rory calls him out on his wandering eye while he's still with Paris. Maybe it was all in my head, or maybe they decided not to let a guy (much less a geriatric one) come between Rory and Paris, in which case, I am grateful. I agree that the storyline is gross, and that it would have been nice if Paris had seen what a sad cliché he was.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/19/2022 at 2:25 PM, scarynikki12 said:

How the Ps thought it was a good idea to have 18/19 year old Paris get into a sexual relationship with a man in his 60s is beyond me.

The Palladinos are....well...different.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I know that it was nothing more than a running joke but Emily constantly hiring and firing maids is one of those things that truly doesn't make sense. She tells Lorelai that she fired the one who sued her because of how loudly she walked yet her defense doesn't include asking the maid to wear quieter shoes (at Emily's expense) or trying to find a solution in a constructive way. All she says is that she pays her maids more than anyone else in Hartford and gives them generous severance packages when she fires them. That's nice and probably why whatever agency that sends them her way kept doing it but it doesn't negate the way she treats them. I'm with Lorelai and surprised she wasn't sued for wrongful termination on the regular. Also, if the severance packages are so generous you'd think Richard would object to constantly paying tons of money just because Emily gets off on being an asshole. They should have gone with endless maids because they kept quitting. Emily could even be sad about losing the ones she liked. Lots of potential there and doesn't automatically make her an asshole.

One thing this show did that annoys is have everyone compliment Emily when they like their food. I know at a restaurant you say that to the waiter/host/manager and expect them to pass it along to the kitchen staff but you know Emily wouldn't dream of saying a kind word to an employee. It would have been a cool thing if Lorelai (and Rory at the beginning of the show) would make a point to thank the maids/cooks for the wonderful meals and drive Emily crazy. I know Lorelai did offer compliments on the food to the maids a few times but most of the time she directed it to Emily which means it wasn't passed along.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I just found out that Swingers use garden gnomes to signal to other Swingers that they are into it. Do you think Babette and Morey....?

Now I can't get  "Lorelai, you want to make a Morey sandwich?"  (S7, 22) out of my head. 

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I just found out that Swingers use garden gnomes to signal to other Swingers that they are into it. Do you think Babette and Morey....?

BABETTE: We've got cots. Ooooh hooo hoo have we got cots. (Going off memory since the transcript site is down. I think it's from Poes?)

I wouldn't put it past Babette, LOL.

True story - a friend of mine was once contacted anonymously by a neighbor telling her to put out a blue porch light if she and her husband were swingers, since the neighbor had noticed a lot of cars there often. They were gamers, not swingers. We laughed about that FOREVER.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

I know that it was nothing more than a running joke but Emily constantly hiring and firing maids is one of those things that truly doesn't make sense.

ASP often makes no sense. lol

What did you think of the Berta storyline in AYITL ? I found it hard to believe.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, SJC said:

What did you think of the Berta storyline in AYITL ? I found it hard to believe.

Same. I liked Emily seeing how vapid and useless her society friends really were so I'd keep that but the Berta story didn't work. I can buy her wanting consistency after Richard died but she didn't even try to learn Berta's language so they could communicate properly. This is another reason I wish they'd either given Luke and Lorelai at least one kid or set it only a year or so after the series so she could be written as pregnant/trying to get pregnant. I can buy Emily softening up and focusing on her new grandchild since we saw that with Rory. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Same. I liked Emily seeing how vapid and useless her society friends really were so I'd keep that but the Berta story didn't work. I can buy her wanting consistency after Richard died but she didn't even try to learn Berta's language so they could communicate properly. This is another reason I wish they'd either given Luke and Lorelai at least one kid or set it only a year or so after the series so she could be written as pregnant/trying to get pregnant. I can buy Emily softening up and focusing on her new grandchild since we saw that with Rory. 

Great answer. 
I'm not crazy about Emily's storyline in AYITL.
For one thing I firmly believe that she 100% stopped caring about Lorelai by 'Fall.' So sad.

• Love 1

One thing this show did that annoys is have everyone compliment Emily when they like their food. I know at a restaurant you say that to the waiter/host/manager and expect them to pass it along to the kitchen staff but you know Emily wouldn't dream of saying a kind word to an employee.

That drove me absolutely crazy. It was even pointed out to her but she defended it by saying she chose the meal. So she went to  a party and they served duck and she thought that was impressive so she had her cook make duck. Real creative there Emily.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 3/9/2022 at 9:51 PM, SJC said:

Great answer. 
I'm not crazy about Emily's storyline in AYITL.
For one thing I firmly believe that she 100% stopped caring about Lorelai by 'Fall.' So sad.

I didn't like either. It didn't seem like Emily and her suddenly selling the house and moving to be a museum guide didn't seem like Emily either. I also didn't like neither Rory or Lorelai checking in on Emily off and on. Going to therapy would have been a great idea Emily and Lorelai have so many issues but of course Emily is still Emily. She quits because Lorelai hasn't changed. God forbid Emily change. Why can't any of these characters have any progress?

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4
(edited)

Randomly caught the second episode of season 7 and it hit me … What is this high horse Rory is on when she finds out her mom slept with Christopher ? I mean didn’t she sleep with and break up a marriage herself? she made her mom sound like a whore for “rushing” out to sleep with him.. at some point when this was coming out of her mouth you would have thought she would have stopped and said  wait a tic 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I can't remember. Did Mia invite Emily to her wedding?

Lorelai and Rory were going to the wedding and Emily went along for the ride to have a spa weekend. Lorelai was on the phone with Mia when they were almost there and she heard that Emily was with them and invited her. Emily went and moaned & griped the whole time she was there.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Lorelai and Rory were going to the wedding and Emily went along for the ride to have a spa weekend. Lorelai was on the phone with Mia when they were almost there and she heard that Emily was with them and invited her. Emily went and moaned & griped the whole time she was there.

Okay, thanks. I remembered Lorelai and Rory planning to go and Emily inserting herself, I didn't remember the phone call.

I love this site. It's like Ask The Experts.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Randomly caught the second episode of season 7 and it hit me … What is this high horse Rory is on when she finds out her mom slept with Christopher ? I mean didn’t she sleep with and break up a marriage herself? she made her mom sound like a whore for “rushing” out to sleep with him.. at some point when this was coming out of her mouth you would have thought she would have stopped and said  wait a tic 

Probably the same Lorelai was on when she found out that Rory slept with Dean.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I was watching Hay Bale Maze earlier and Logan was trying to explain to Lorelai that he wasn't a flake. He was going on and on about something that sounded like crypto currency. Yeah, that would be about that weaponized walnut's speed.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Was couch Rubens female? I mean since it was between the couch and nurse with helping with pregnancy or bulimia my first thought was I hope it’s a female couch 

Does your left arm hurt? Are you smelling burnt toast? You may need to call someone.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Does your left arm hurt? Are you smelling burnt toast? You may need to call someone.

I taste peanuts … but seriously that was the whole joke of the scene… has it was written in 2000 … it’s a cornball throwaway “joke” in the monotone drone on of the massive info dump she was being given all at once … in the pilot episode in the office her first day of Chilton … it was just randomly playing on UP

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Was couch Rubens female? I mean since it was between the couch and nurse with helping with pregnancy or bulimia my first thought was I hope it’s a female couch 

Do you possibly mean "coach"?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Taryn74 said:

I feel like the last few posts are written in code or something LOL. I have no idea what you guys are referencing or talking about.

In “The Lorelai’s First Day at Chilton”, Rory was in the office getting paperwork. The Secretary was listing off a bunch of instructions, ending with “…see your counselor unless it’s pregnancy or bulimia. For that see the School nurse or Coach Rubens”.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

In “The Lorelai’s First Day at Chilton”, Rory was in the office getting paperwork. The Secretary was listing off a bunch of instructions, ending with “…see your counselor unless it’s pregnancy or bulimia. For that see the School nurse or Coach Rubens”.

Ahhhh, got it. Thank you! I was legit feeling puzzled LOL.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Djav.gif

LOL i was just asking a question about a throw away line/joke from the first episode not that serious

My thought process trying to figure out what you were referencing was pretty funny, though. It went something like this --

Couch Rubens? Was that someone from Yale with a weird name I don't remember or something? Those newspaper kids from when Rory was editor were really annoying, I didn't pay much attention to them. Did one of them think she was pregnant but realized she was just bulimic? I don't know. Whatever. I don't feel like trying to look it up. Oh, wait, now there's something about a left arm hurting and smelling burnt toast. Babette smelled almonds but she wasn't having a stroke, she was just out of breath from running. Maybe Couch Rubens was one of Lorelai's stupid bits from the Revival? Did she name her couch Ruben and then have a whole not-funny bit about it having a stroke? Or possibly a heart attack? Who knows. I'm certainly not watching that trash again to try to figure it out. Oh, not couch, COACH. Hmmm, the only coach I remember mentioned anywhere in the show was April's swim coach. And Luke went on a date with her. But why would we not know if she was female? OMG, did Luke go on a date with a MAN and not realize it?!

That's when I decided to just ask what you guys were talking about. LOLOL.

• LOL 3
20 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

My thought process trying to figure out what you were referencing was pretty funny, though. It went something like this --

Couch Rubens? Was that someone from Yale with a weird name I don't remember or something? Those newspaper kids from when Rory was editor were really annoying, I didn't pay much attention to them. Did one of them think she was pregnant but realized she was just bulimic? I don't know. Whatever. I don't feel like trying to look it up. Oh, wait, now there's something about a left arm hurting and smelling burnt toast. Babette smelled almonds but she wasn't having a stroke, she was just out of breath from running. Maybe Couch Rubens was one of Lorelai's stupid bits from the Revival? Did she name her couch Ruben and then have a whole not-funny bit about it having a stroke? Or possibly a heart attack? Who knows. I'm certainly not watching that trash again to try to figure it out. Oh, not couch, COACH. Hmmm, the only coach I remember mentioned anywhere in the show was April's swim coach. And Luke went on a date with her. But why would we not know if she was female? OMG, did Luke go on a date with a MAN and not realize it?!

That's when I decided to just ask what you guys were talking about. LOLOL.

LOL love it

• Love 2

I'm not sure where to post this but this seems to be the correct place. Yesterday, I had kind of a funny thing happen. My mother-in-law loves Miss Maisel and had been saying for a while that she should watch Gilmore Girls, I agree with her.

However, yesterday we were flipping through the guide and some random channel was playing GG reruns. And of all episodes it was "Dear Richard and Emily" and about halfway through it. She put it on and was very confused lol. I told her that this probably isn't the best episode to start with and that she should watch the pilot and go from there. She agreed, but watched anyway. I think she liked it but this is not the best episode to start with as it is formatted very differently as it has flashbacks. 

• Love 2

In the middle of S4 today and I just realized that Rory is really quite a catastrophic thinker sometimes. (No judgment, as I am too.) I was watching the episode where Richard’s mother died and the way Rory was stressed over what if she doesn’t cry enough reminded me of how she went off the rails when she missed Lorelai’s graduation in S3 (S2?). 

I did also like the scene where Emily lost it at the mall and then Rory and Lorelai took her to the food court and she likes the Orange Julius.

Also, saw Liza on ER last night in one of her guest appearances, and I am just so much more appreciative of her talent to see her in a serious emotionally intense role less than a year before GG started. She killed it. 

• Love 4

Scene in a Mall and The Reigning Lorelai are my 2 favorite episodes of the series. From experience with other shows in syndication, I'm curious to see what, if anything, they cut out for longer/more commercials in these 2 episodes. I pulled the DVD but haven't watched them yet.

• Love 4

Hi everyone!  I am trying to find a clip from a scene with Michele and Lorelai.  She assumes something, and he does the "you know what happens when you assume" and when she asks "what", he says "something insipid about a donkey".  Does anyone know what episode that is from?  

1 hour ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

Hi everyone!  I am trying to find a clip from a scene with Michele and Lorelai.  She assumes something, and he does the "you know what happens when you assume" and when she asks "what", he says "something insipid about a donkey".  Does anyone know what episode that is from?  

According to wikiquotes, it's from Back in the Saddle Again.

Lorelai: I just assumed, since you gave up carbs a year ago, she knew.

Michel: [angrily] Yes! Well, you know what happens when you assume?

Lorelai: What?

Michel: I don't know! S-something about a donkey! It's a… stupid American phrase!

• Love 3

Random scene making me giggle today -

LORELAI: (planting tulip bulbs from Babette) I'm going to have color coming out of my yin-yang.

RORY: Well, then, maybe you'll finally get a man.

HEE.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I’m watch GG on UpTV and was wondering why they are skipping around the episodes. Then I saw a commercial for a new series-The Wedding Planners, which looks cute. Then I realized there’s a theme to the episodes…Weddings!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Yes I noticed this too!  They generally do air the episodes in order.  But the wedding theme made me realize that some of the best episodes are the wedding ones - the Liza/TJ, Lane/Zach and Mia wedding episodes are three of my favorites of the whole series.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Did we ever find out what the guy was protesting above the church? I really want jello now 

He could see the future and was protesting the person Rory became.

Along those lines here's what I was thinking about on my way home tonight. In the season 4 premiere Lorelai is calling embassies and consulates to reassure people that Babette was worried for no reason. Rory points out that Babette just loves them and Lorelai responds "be less lovable because this is costing me a fortune". And season 4 is the one that sees Rory fully transition from the lovable girl of the early years to the nightmare of the later years. Lorelai's words are (unintentionally I assume) prophetic with regard to Rory.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4