Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

He could see the future and was protesting the person Rory became.

I guess that's what they get for failing to stop the noodle scooze.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

So... in rewatching (again, because I need an escape these days), I just rewatched Love, Daisies and Troubadours and I finally got why Max's proposal bothered me so much: why on earth would Max send the daisies to the Inn? "Hi, strange townfolk, please feel free to jump directly to your worst instincts and pry AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE into Lorelai's private life!"

I realize that I am more introverted and private than most, and public proposals give me secondhand embarrassment and anxiety under all circumstances, but in Stars Hollow? That would have been an immediate no. Especially when their relationship becoming public the first time around was such a disaster for all concerned!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Eeksquire said:

I just rewatched Love, Daisies and Troubadours and I finally got why Max's proposal bothered me so much: why on earth would Max send the daisies to the Inn? "Hi, strange townfolk, please feel free to jump directly to your worst instincts and pry AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE into Lorelai's private life!"

Oh I can answer this. Max did it for a few reasons: 1) he knew that Lorelai would be at the inn at around that time, 2) he suspected that she'd have a harder time saying no if it was public like that, 3) he was somehow clairvoyant and knew there'd be a funny Kirk vs Michel scene and didn't want Loreali (and us) to be deprived. Since I enjoy the Kirk and Michel confrontation I like to think it's option 3.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Plus, how are you going to fit 1,000 yellow daisies, no more, no less, at the crap shack.

I call major bull hockey on those daisies being 1,000 in that scene. One year our marina planted beds of yellow daisies. One day my husband found me studying them, and asked me what I was doing. He shook his head when I told him I was counting them. There were WAY more than 1,000 in that scene. But it did look impressive.

IIRC, the folks at the inn had no idea the flowers were connected to a proposal. Did Lorelai tell them?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Plus, how are you going to fit 1,000 yellow daisies, no more, no less, at the crap shack.

I call major bull hockey on those daisies being 1,000 in that scene. One year our marina planted beds of yellow daisies. One day my husband found me studying them, and asked me what I was doing. He shook his head when I told him I was counting them. There were WAY more than 1,000 in that scene. But it did look impressive.

IIRC, the folks at the inn had no idea the flowers were connected to a proposal. Did Lorelai tell them?

Amy admitted that there were more then a thousand yellow daisies. They did start out with a thousand but it didn't look how they wanted to so they got more.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/10/2022 at 9:55 PM, chessiegal said:

She could have told them it was Stars Hollow’s Annual Daisy Day and probably gotten away with it 😝 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

I got past the point of Emily and Richard’s vow renewal, which is where I stopped and began to lose interest last time. I feel like there is still an overall quality drop, but I do find myself drawn to Logan the most out of Rory’s love interests. Partially because I’m watching Matt in The Resident, which has become one of my favorite shows, though. 

Going to try to finish the series this time and move on to A Year in the Life. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I got past the point of Emily and Richard’s vow renewal, which is where I stopped and began to lose interest last time. I feel like there is still an overall quality drop, but I do find myself drawn to Logan the most out of Rory’s love interests. Partially because I’m watching Matt in The Resident, which has become one of my favorite shows, though. 

Going to try to finish the series this time and move on to A Year in the Life. 

It could be a good place to stop. My daughter found the first five seasons interesting , but happily ignored 6 and 7.

Logan has his moments in the later seasons, but the charisma of You Jump, I Jump was missing for me.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

It could be a good place to stop. My daughter found the first five seasons interesting , but happily ignored 6 and 7.

Logan has his moments in the later seasons, but the charisma of You Jump, I Jump was missing for me.

That was such a fun episode! And I can understand how your daughter feels. I watched all of ER one time just to have accomplished seeing the whole series and now opt to sit out seasons 12-14 because that’s the worst stretch for me. I may do the same thing with Gilmore Girls…finish the series and then skip what I didn’t like in the future. 

But as to not get too off topic, if I were to stop the series again before the end, could I watch A Year in the Life without seeing S6 and 7?

3 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Agree. Never cared for that episode at all.

In what is perhaps an unusual GG history, the first episode of GG I ever saw was Raincoats & Recipes, so I watched from there to the end in real time and then went back and watched the beginning via borrowed DVDs*. In hindsight, the later seasons weren't great, but I still watch the whole thing all the way through - even when it's not great, it's still pleasant and comfortable.

*Just after a terrible breakup, so there were a LOT of tears, but that's neither here nor there and not the show's fault!

• Like 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Eeksquire said:

In hindsight, the later seasons weren't great, but I still watch the whole thing all the way through - even when it's not great, it's still pleasant and comfortable.

Pleasant and comfortable - a perfect way to describe the show. I appreciate that UPTv runs earlier seasons late at night while the insomniac I am tries to go to sleep.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 6/27/2022 at 7:30 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

But as to not get too off topic, if I were to stop the series again before the end, could I watch A Year in the Life without seeing S6 and 7?

Good question. 
Except for a couple of major plot points that popped up in 6&7, probably not.

It's not quite clear to me if you've already seen 6 and 7. Just in case you haven't, I'll scroll down to mention those plot points.

I personally have no problem jumping from end S5 or S6 episode 9 directly to AYITL.

spoilers: 

April

Lane's marriage

Lorelai's marriage

Rory's falling apart after the yacht incident

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was watching Application Anxiety last night and Rory and Lorelai were at the Springsteen home making nice with the Harvard alum. Could Lorelai ever just shut the fuck up for once? She came across as this obnoxious ignoramus with all the class and good breeding of a sewer rat. If I were Rory, I would have died of embarrassment.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Lorelai can't EVER shut up. She must be the center of attention at all times NO MATTER WHAT. She is just tedious.

It reminds me of when LG and AB do a joint interview & one of them dominates so much.  hee hee hee

• Like 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, SJC said:

Lorelai can't EVER shut up. She must be the center of attention at all times NO MATTER WHAT. She is just tedious.

It reminds me of when LG and AB do a joint interview & one of them dominates so much.  hee hee hee

And she pulled that shit everywhere! Movies, plays, graduations, weddings, the Poe readings, even funerals. I'm surprised nobody smacked her.

• Applause 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And she pulled that shit everywhere! Movies, plays, graduations, weddings, the Poe readings, even funerals. I'm surprised nobody smacked her.

The worst was Rory’s first night at Yale and Lorelai turned it into a slumber party.  So much secondhand embarrassment.  I think in real life all the girls would have given her the stanky eye.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

The worst was Rory’s first night at Yale and Lorelai turned it into a slumber party.  So much secondhand embarrassment.  I think in real life all the girls would have given her the stanky eye.

Oh yeah, normally Rory's fellow students would have rolled their eyes back into their brains at that kind of mommying. But hey, free food.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

This only child and best friends with my mom, I really related to The Lorelais First Day At Yale. I cried myself to sleep my first night at college.

In all honesty I feel that some of the best moments on GG were between Lorelai and Rory.

• Love 2

I liked the first night at Yale. It was one of those really fun TV moments that would never happen IRL. Freshmen girls hanging out together their first night, eating a bunch of food, talking and having fun.  

10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's what made it the worse. It was all the time. If it was with Rory or even Friday night dinner, it might not be that bad. But it was all the time. And there's no way people wouldn't be telling her to shut up at those events. 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I think she had some undiagnosed issues … she had some super manic episodes.. 

Agree. I think she was traumatized by her mother's expectations and ran away from problems whenever she could. 
Honestly, I think Emily would gaslight her, criticizing everything she did and blaming her for things that weren't her fault. 

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

Agree. I think she was traumatized by her mother's expectations and ran away from problems whenever she could. 
Honestly, I think Emily would gaslight her, criticizing everything she did and blaming her for things that weren't her fault. 

her maturity was really stunted .. I wonder if anyone in the field has a fan tried to diagnose what she would possibly have ..

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, junienmomo said:

Think of how many times Lorelai would mention some crappy thing her parents did and R&E would either deny that it ever happened  or tell Lorelai that she was just being "dramatic".

• Love 5
6 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Emily would gaslight her, criticizing everything she did and blaming her for things that weren't her fault. 

And then when Lorelai defended herself Emily would sulk.
Lorelai inherited her tendency towards self-absorption from Emily.
IMHO Emily didn't love Lorelai in the least. Sad.

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

R&E would either deny that it ever happened  or tell Lorelai that she was just being "dramatic".

They were both terrible liars. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, junienmomo said:

She really was. Lorelai could have done with some therapy. 

• Love 3

It's human nature to either romanticize or villainize our previous relationships. This applies to romantic relationships, friendships, and even familial. I think Lorelai remembers things with her family as worse than they really are but R&E have romanticized a lot, as well. We have plenty of glimpses of Richard and Emily showing they cared for Lorelai but also times they don't seem to accept her as the person she is and try to mold her into who they want her to be. Similarly, we see times Lorelai is inappropriate with R&E or their friends and could stand to have some correction on her behavior, or, at least, as a child she should have been corrected. It gets complicated when Lorelai is an adult but makes Thanksgiving dinner uncomfortable for everyone by asking the gentlemen in French if he wants to go to bed with her or is flipping out because Rory applied to Yale.

While we have seen Richard and Emily be less than kind to Lorelai, I do find myself siding with them more often than I do with Lorelai when they are at odds.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

her maturity was really stunted .. I wonder if anyone in the field has a fan tried to diagnose what she would possibly have ..

One of the things I like most about Lorelai is her ability to use humor, often childish, to smooth over difficult moments. I will never forget her going into the dry cleaners teasing him out of his bad mood. 

• Love 4

When it comes to recounting her childhood I always side with Lorelai. The reason is because whenever she tells one of her stories in their presence Emily and Richard don’t dispute what she says. They insist she’s making a big deal of whatever she said but don’t respond with their version and leave the truth ambiguous for the viewer. 

One of the stories Lorelai tells in season 1 is about how she burned her baby pictures* because Emily had told her over and over about her excessively large head and left her feeling insecure. Emily didn’t respond by saying “Lorelai I mentioned it one time when you were twelve and the next thing I knew all your baby pictures were destroyed” but confirmed her account while saying that Lorelai grew into her large head. In light of the pandemic Emily forcing Lorelai to attend the Christmas party the year she had rubella is also appalling. And Emily doesn’t dispute that story either.

I think Lorelai started the series a responsible and mature adult and regressed due to being around her parents regularly. I’m not saying she didn’t have a sense of humor because she did but she had a handle on her life and her relationships with the people in it. Once she’s back in the Gilmore orbit on a weekly basis both she and her parents regress to where they were when she had Rory.

*Which was of course a retcon as we’d already seen a baby picture of Lorelai from when Rory stayed in Hartford during that snowstorm. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

When it comes to recounting her childhood I always side with Lorelai. The reason is because whenever she tells one of her stories in their presence Emily and Richard don’t dispute what she says. They insist she’s making a big deal of whatever she said but don’t respond with their version and leave the truth ambiguous for the viewer. 

One of the stories Lorelai tells in season 1 is about how she burned her baby pictures* because Emily had told her over and over about her excessively large head and left her feeling insecure. Emily didn’t respond by saying “Lorelai I mentioned it one time when you were twelve and the next thing I knew all your baby pictures were destroyed” but confirmed her account while saying that Lorelai grew into her large head. In light of the pandemic Emily forcing Lorelai to attend the Christmas party the year she had rubella is also appalling. And Emily doesn’t dispute that story either.

I think Lorelai started the series a responsible and mature adult and regressed due to being around her parents regularly. I’m not saying she didn’t have a sense of humor because she did but she had a handle on her life and her relationships with the people in it. Once she’s back in the Gilmore orbit on a weekly basis both she and her parents regress to where they were when she had Rory.

*Which was of course a retcon as we’d already seen a baby picture of Lorelai from when Rory stayed in Hartford during that snowstorm. 

I so agree with this post.

I gotta say that it baffles me to no end when folks say that it's clear that Emily loved Lorelai. My response is, "HUH ?" 

ETA: Emily's attempt to split L/L in S5 did it for me. Emily cared not one iota about Lorelai's happiness, she only cared about the precious Gilmore name. A shame really. 

Edited by SJC
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, SJC said:

I

ETA: Emily's attempt to split L/L in S5 did it for me. Emily cared not one iota about Lorelai's happiness, she only cared about the precious Gilmore name. A shame really. 

But she did care ... the whole reason she "butted" in is because she thought Luke would hold her back from her potential (she says all this while she is "inviting" Christopher to her wedding.) she thought that with Luke she would "stuck" and yes that was part of a snobbish mindset because she didn't know what Luke was offering but it was concern for  Lorelai and the want for her child to big (whatever that is to her) things with her life ...

Emily can be cruel but the center of it is love for her child ....

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
4 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Oh now that's an interesting take! Never thought about it that way, but you're not wrong!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

It was very clear in the Pilot that Lorelai and Rory visited the grandparents very few times a year - Christmas and Easter were mentioned, that it was so unusual to see Lorelai on a day the banks were open. So, until we got to Friday night dinners, there was little interaction. The Pilot set the tone for what was coming as far as the dynamic between Lorelai and her parents. What a fun ride it was!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

For me, Emily and Richard's villainy seemed to vary wildly according to what the plot demanded. I give a ton of credit to Kelly Bishop and Edward Herrmann for giving the characters an emotional throughline that I don't think would have existed if the roles had been in the hands of less capable actors.

5 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Honestly, even if they did, given their complete denial of the fact that they promised to help Lorelai stop Rory from quitting Yale (which they absolutely did promise to do), I would still be on Lorelai's side. We never saw her deny reality the way Emily and Richard did in that episode.

• Applause 2
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, SJC said:

I gotta say that it baffles me to no end when folks say that it's clear that Emily loved Lorelai. My response is, "HUH ?" 

I saw it because Kelly and Edward, especially in the early seasons, would play Emily and Richard as having love for Lorelai. It wasn't ever present like with Rory but we'd get these moments with Lorelai where they would let the love be revealed. On paper Emily and Richard seem to full on hate Lorelai, and the latter seasons seem to play that up, but what people are talking about is what Kelly and Edward brought to the roles.

I do think the original plan was for Lorelai and her parents to all grow beyond her teenage pregnancy and have an improved relationship. That's where the little love reveals of the early seasons come in to play as they help lay the foundation for such a resolution. Instead the Ps played up all the fighting like they did the quips and pop culture references so the only real resolution that I can see for Lorelai and her parents is that they all liked having Rory around and stuck with Friday Night Dinners out of habit.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I saw it because Kelly and Edward, especially in the early seasons, would play Emily and Richard as having love for Lorelai. It wasn't ever present like with Rory but we'd get these moments with Lorelai where they would let the love be revealed. On paper Emily and Richard seem to full on hate Lorelai, and the latter seasons seem to play that up, but what people are talking about is what Kelly and Edward brought to the roles.

I do think the original plan was for Lorelai and her parents to all grow beyond her teenage pregnancy and have an improved relationship. That's where the little love reveals of the early seasons come in to play as they help lay the foundation for such a resolution. Instead the Ps played up all the fighting like they did the quips and pop culture references so the only real resolution that I can see for Lorelai and her parents is that they all liked having Rory around and stuck with Friday Night Dinners out of habit.

I thought that was where it was going with Lorelai and her parents'. That seemed to be where it was going in the early seasons. But they didn't and instead doubled down on all their worse traits. I don't even know why. One of the best series long stories was watching Lane and her mother come together and create a new much better relationship.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
20 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:
On 7/6/2022 at 2:12 PM, SJC said:

I agree Kelly & Ed's real life affection for LG showed at times.
The Palladinos LOVE, LOVE, LOVE drama though. Yuck...no progression in the Gilmore relationships.

15 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I thought that was where it was going with Lorelai and her parents'. That seemed to be where it was going in the early seasons. But they didn't and instead doubled down on all their worse traits. I don't even know why. One of the best series long stories was watching Lane and her mother come together and create a new much better relationship.

THIS ! 👊

Edited by SJC
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Meow25 said:

Funniest Gilmore Girls scene:  

S5: E18

Paris asking for $0.50 to call Doyle on the streets of Stars Hollow

Makes me laugh every time! 

I loved in Friday Nights Are Alright For Fighting, after all four of the Gilmores screaming and fighting about all their pent up grievances. An exhausted Lorelai and Richard are lying back on the sofa.

Richard: "So, how's Luke?"

Lorelai: "He has a kid,"

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

I've been watching the early Season 1 episodes on this afternoon. I'm struck by how the writing and characters seem, for lack of another word, fresh. Maybe because they are still introducing us to the characters, and maybe the writers are still fleshing them out. But it's like drinking cold lemonade on a hot afternoon.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
On 7/8/2022 at 1:52 PM, Meow25 said:

Funniest Gilmore Girls scene:  

S5: E18

Paris asking for $0.50 to call Doyle on the streets of Stars Hollow

Makes me laugh every time! 

She's hilarious that entire episode! "Spank his bottom." "Fall in a hole (makes fart sound)!" "This... is... TASTY!"

• LOL 5

I don't know. Rory didn't meet Logan until her sophomore year in college. We meet Tristan her first year at Chilton. That's a lot of years in between. I don't think Tristan was destined to be Logan. Just another rich kid.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Nah, I don't think so. Rich, entitled white kids are not exactly in short supply in the circles the Gilmores run in LOL.

Having said that, the guy that Rory went out with one time at the end of her Freshmen year at Yale (Graham, I think?) was supposed to "be" Logan for the next year but it didn't work out with the actor for some reason, as I recall. Since I actually grew to like Logan once I realized he and Colin were not the same person (I will always hate Colin) I didn't mind the change.

• Like 1
  • Love 2