Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

I liked the idea of The Road Trip to Harvard, but the execution was a bit weird. I don't know how Rory wasn't completely embarrassed by Lorelai's bluffing about being a student and the high pitched airhead voice she put on. The whole point of the Harvard dream was based around what a prestigious and academically rigorous school it was, and there was Lorelai acting like it was some sort of party school. Also, Lorelai, calm down, you were mistaken for a law student, not an undergraduate.

8 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I liked Lorelei trying to fit in with the upper class crowd by saying she publishes books

I never took that as Lorelai wanting to fit in and I agree with @peacheslatour that those people weren't upper class, anyway. I always took it as Lorelai not wanting to admit she ran an Inn so that she wouldn't get sucked into a conversation with them or LaDawn (especially not LaDawn) about it.

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, Hera said:

I liked the idea of The Road Trip to Harvard, but the execution was a bit weird. I don't know how Rory wasn't completely embarrassed by Lorelai's bluffing about being a student and the high pitched airhead voice she put on. The whole point of the Harvard dream was based around what a prestigious and academically rigorous school it was, and there was Lorelai acting like it was some sort of party school. Also, Lorelai, calm down, you were mistaken for a law student, not an undergraduate.

I never took that as Lorelai wanting to fit in and I agree with @peacheslatour that those people weren't upper class, anyway. I always took it as Lorelai not wanting to admit she ran an Inn so that she wouldn't get sucked into a conversation with them or LaDawn (especially not LaDawn) about it.

It was more like she was condescending to the Hoi Polloi.

• Love 4
On 11/24/2021 at 11:17 PM, deaja said:

I’m in the middle of my annual Thanksgiving/Thanksgiving Eve watch of Deep Fried Korean Thanksgiving. I love so much about this episode. Cat Kirk. Dave the local Christian guitar player. “Did somebody say Jackson?” 

But I hate Lorelei’s behavior at dinner so much that the last 20% of the episode is hard to watch.

I love this episode until Lorelai's temper tantrum.  I've watched the first 3/4ths so many times, but I can't finish it.  Secondhand embarassment for a fictional character.  

• Love 6
On 11/30/2021 at 8:30 PM, Hera said:

This episode makes me crazy.  
1.  Can we just have a LITTLE backstory on how she dumped Max?  Like ANYTHING?  Ugh.  

2.  These two act like HORRID immature brats.  Yes, the B&B was ....extra.  Everyone there was nice.  Just say Hi and walk out the door and go to dinner.  That was so absurd.  

This episode was probably one of the first episodes where I really disliked both Lorelai and Rory.  

• Love 6

The Road to Harvard and the Thanksgiving episode are two of ones that I like parts of it and hate other parts of it. I love Rory exploring the campus that she's been dreaming of. Lorelai looking at the picture of the woman who graduated the year she would have if she went to college. Telling Luke how she felt about seeing Rory at college. How she loved it and hated it. That felt right. I hated their attitude towards the B&Bs. Sure they were annoying but who cares? They didn't have to stay and talk with them. Just tell them they are going out for dinner and leave. It wasn't a big deal. I wouldn't mind Lorelai lying to them about her job because that seems like something she would do for fun pretending to be from somewhere else. Sometimes it just fun to do that. But acted like every word they said was annoying her. I also didn't like them going into someone's dorm room. Looking into one if the door was open would be fine. Getting mad at Rory for having questions about Max. Of course she's going to have questions. She didn't need to be a jerk to her daughter.

I like seeing the different Thanksgivings. Lorelai walking into the Kim house and immediately saying hi to Kim relatives and comments to them. It felt like Lorelai knew them at least enough from going to previous Kim Thanksgiving dinners and/or events. It was a nice touch. Her trick with the touferky not working because Mrs. Kim was keeping an eye on her because she knew Lorelai would try it. I loved Sookie's Thanksgiving. Poor Sookie miserable over how it was going and getting drunk to get through it because she did agree to it. Hopefully in the future Sookie asks more questions about what kind of Thanksgiving Jackson is planning. I loved her drunk. I love Kirk and his nightmare Cat Kirk. When I was a kid my family tried adopting a kitten but it was a psycho. He loved to attack people especially feet when ever anyone walked and we ended up giving him back. I didn't like that dinner with Luke and Jess was too short. They hardly sat down at all. And like everyone else I hated Lorelai's reaction to learning Rory applied to backup schools. I get she has a thing about Yale but she came off so stupid and horrible about. I hate when characters are stupid about things they should know about. Lorelai should know all about backup schools. She spent her entire childhood and all her years at private school hearing all about it. 

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

The Road to Harvard and the Thanksgiving episode are two of ones that I like parts of it and hate other parts of it.

Oh, so much yes to all of your post.

36 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I loved her drunk. I love Kirk and his nightmare Cat Kirk.

Oh man, I can't believe I had forgotten about Cat Kirk! That was soooo funny and so relatable. Our oldest cat used to hide under chairs and attack my ankles when I walked by. We had a love/hate (sometimes more like tolerate/hate, LOL) relationship for many years. I remember tripping over her and literally falling out the door one time and was bruised up for weeks. I could have killed her with my bare hands. She's mellowed a lot as she's aged, though, thank goodness.

Babette telling Rory that was some half-assed kiss makes me laugh until I cry. Babette is just so funny to me.

40 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I didn't like that dinner with Luke and Jess was too short. They hardly sat down at all.

Yeah, that bugged me too. Although them stopping back by and taking the leftover rolls home was perfect. LUKE: No, come on. LORELAI: Just a little something for the walk home! LOLOL.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Getting mad at Rory for having questions about Max. Of course she's going to have questions. She didn't need to be a jerk to her daughter.

She was such a witch then. Lorelai was such a pill a lot of the time. She pulled the "mom card" when it suited her two-faced self. SMH

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SJC said:

She was such a witch then. Lorelai was such a pill a lot of the time. She pulled the "mom card" when it suited her two-faced self. SMH

And she really didn't need to. Just tell Rory she wasn't ready to talk about it and Rory would have dropped it. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

And she really didn't need to. Just tell Rory she wasn't ready to talk about it and Rory would have dropped it. 

True ! But we're talking about Lorelai, intelligent, but also lacks common sense & self-awareness. 

• Love 3

I was out of town last week (for the first time in 3 years!), and had occasion to be able to watch tv on my iPad with my cable (Verizon Fios) app. As I was cruising for something to watch, I decided to watch GG. Sometimes with all my nitpicking, I forget what a good show this is. It brought a little sunshine to my day.

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I was out of town last week (for the first time in 3 years!), and had occasion to be able to watch tv on my iPad with my cable (Verizon Fios) app. As I was cruising for something to watch, I decided to watch GG. Sometimes with all my nitpicking, I forget what a good show this is. It brought a little sunshine to my day.

I got hooked on it about four years ago. I was really depressed by everything I saw in the news and needed something sunny and pretty to look at. The fun characters and scrappy dialog were just a bonus.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Which is why it was so riddiculous to me that she was suddenly so pearl-clutching about Rory sleeping with Dean - that's something Lorelai would do, IMO. She slept with Christopher when he was still officially with his girlfriend.

Chris also lied to Lorelai that he and Sherry were broken up which she foolishly believed. I'm on the fence as to whether she would have still slept with him had she known they were still together. On the one hand, she made a distinction to Rory that Chris wasn't married to Sherry at the time (prompting the retcon response of "he was engaged") which implies that she thinks it's ok to cheat as long at there's no marriage license. On the other she'd have been outraged if it had been herself, Sookie, Lane, Babette, etc., who had been in Sherry's position. She was also disappointed with Rory for kissing Jess while still being in a relationship with Dean while later being amused that Emily was the other woman at the start of her relationship with Richard.

I suspect that, in practice, she'd get outraged about cheating based on her personal feelings about the people involved. If it's Chris cheating on Sherry? Have at it because Lorelai hates Sherry. If it's Rory cheating on Dean? Not ok because Lorelai likes Dean and hates Jess. Emily pursuing an engaged Richard and Richard cheating on his fiancé before dumping her for Emily (which really should have been Trix's issue with her the whole time)? Just a humorous story since they're Lorelai's parents. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I suspect that, in practice, she'd get outraged about cheating based on her personal feelings about the people involved.

I concur with this.

Conversation that never actually happened, but could have:
Lorelai: Rory...Dean is married! For shame!
Rory: But you cheated with dad!
Lorelai: That's totally different, young lady! Don't sass me!
Now pack your bags so that you can go on a lavish trip to Europe instead of interning at a newspaper or magazine to help further your journalism goals.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Chris also lied to Lorelai that he and Sherry were broken up which she foolishly believed. I'm on the fence as to whether she would have still slept with him had she known they were still together. On the one hand, she made a distinction to Rory that Chris wasn't married to Sherry at the time (prompting the retcon response of "he was engaged") which implies that she thinks it's ok to cheat as long at there's no marriage license. On the other she'd have been outraged if it had been herself, Sookie, Lane, Babette, etc., who had been in Sherry's position. She was also disappointed with Rory for kissing Jess while still being in a relationship with Dean while later being amused that Emily was the other woman at the start of her relationship with Richard.

I suspect that, in practice, she'd get outraged about cheating based on her personal feelings about the people involved. If it's Chris cheating on Sherry? Have at it because Lorelai hates Sherry. If it's Rory cheating on Dean? Not ok because Lorelai likes Dean and hates Jess. Emily pursuing an engaged Richard and Richard cheating on his fiancé before dumping her for Emily (which really should have been Trix's issue with her the whole time)? Just a humorous story since they're Lorelai's parents. 

Scarynikki12! Wow! Great insights.

It's ok with Christopher because she hates Sherry and he wasn't married.

It's amusing that Emily "stole" Richard from his fiancée (steals in "the olden days"  included more premarital sex than that generation likes to admit).

Luke struggling with the knowledge that Dean was still in love with Rory when he married.

Luke giving up on Lorelai (without trying hard enough) and marrying Nicole, then she cheated on him. 

This makes me realize there was a greater moral gap than I thought between Lorelai and Luke when she slept with Christopher. 

• Love 4

I JUST realized Zach is Terry from True Blood. I saw all of True Blood before I even started GG on Netflix and Terry was one of my favorite characters (though I did think he was the killer in season one). How did I just notice????

Also, mind blowing that there was only a year of seperarion before immature Zach became world weary Terry. Dang.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I'm certain that someone more versed in GG lore has already realized this, however, I just realized it and had nowhere else to go with my feelings* and thought you all might be sympathetic to the fact that I just noticed that the chuppah (THE CHUPPAH, the one LUKE makes for LORELAI for the ill-fated wedding with Max) shows up at Sookie and Jackson's wedding! WHY? I would, were I Sookie and Jackson (terrible music selections, notwithstanding) not want anything to do with Lorelai and Max's trainwreck not-to-be nuptials anywhere NEAR my wedding! Talk about bad luck! No WONDER Jackson later lies about the vasectomy! They got married under a BAD OMEN! (**)

*Are they outsized under the circumstances? Yes. Did it bother me ALL DAY, so much so that I went on Netflix and found the episode in question to look at it again to make sure I wasn't seeing things before I came here to complain about it? ... also yes. We've been in a global pandemic for a long time.

** Kidding! I just couldn't resist, because that storyline is such character assassination later on. Maybe the chuppah goat was more irate than we thought! (STILL KIDDING.)

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

IMO, that chuppah was prop laying around. I don't think there was any message.

Agreed. Lorelai compartmentalized Max away pretty fast. She even quickly declared the chuppah to be just an arch. I'm not sure it had any Max connotations for her.

• Love 3
On 1/5/2022 at 2:07 AM, junienmomo said:

Agreed. Lorelai compartmentalized Max away pretty fast. She even quickly declared the chuppah to be just an arch. I'm not sure it had any Max connotations for her.

I think even as of S2, Lorelai was referencing the chuppah in terms of Luke making it for her, not anything to do with Max. So yeah, I don't think she thought about Max when she looked at it, even less than a year after they split. 

On 1/4/2022 at 7:06 PM, Eeksquire said:

** Kidding! I just couldn't resist, because that storyline is such character assassination later on.

Uggghhhh, along with the obvious Christopher/Lorelai disaster, I would put this wayyyyyyy up there as one of the worst things the S7 writers did. I don't think hiding the pregnancy would have worked well, but why not just have the vasectomy fail? It happens. I know someone it happened to. Why write such a grotesque sexual violation and aggregious abuse of trust? 

• Love 2

I've got the Poe episode on and just watched Rory visiting Paris. They make a point of showing Paris ask Rory if she got into Harvard, Rory confirming, and then Paris continuing to be upset about not getting in herself. Since this is the same episode where Lorelai decides that Rory's going to Yale I'm now thinking that one of the reasons Rory didn't really fight her on it is because she was feeling guilty about Paris not getting in. At this point in the series Rory was still a decent person most of the time so I can buy her witnessing Paris' anguish and feeling bad that they both didn't get in. Since Richard and Emily had pushed so hard for her to go to Yale that would make changing course easier and then Lorelai ended up making the decision for her. 

This also goes back to one of my previous points where I wish they'd written Rory making a pro/con list and then finding herself in a quandary when the result goes against what she really wants. Choosing her college would have been perfect. Give Harvard the most points as everyone expected but then Rory finds herself upset that Yale didn't win and realizes that's where she wants to go. Of course, they'd have to do away with the Yale fight but sacrifices can be made. 

Also also I'm reminded of the Rory Shine. This time I'm thinking of how it sometimes takes the form of Lorelai/Rory telling the audience that Rory made a big decision when we saw the opposite. 

The two examples I'm thinking of are both in season 3. We watch Dean dump Rory at the dance marathon and then the episode ends with her crying on Lorelai's shoulder. The next episode Lorelai is telling Luke that Rory and Jess are a couple and says "Rory's made her choice and I want her to be happy." Ok, but Rory had many chances to dump Dean in favor of Jess and didn't take any of them. If Dean hadn't finally caught a clue they probably would have been together fifty years.

Also, when they tell Richard and Emily about Yale Rory tells them that she gave it a lot of thought and decided on Yale. Ok, I'll give her the lots of thought part since she and Lorelai were doing research for the pro/con lists but the decision was made by Lorelai and then Rory went along with it (happily, to be fair) after some mild pushback. Who knows what Rory would have done if Lorelai hadn't made the decision.

I know that this is just a writing shortcut but I don't like it. It's the same kind of tell not show that they did back in season 1 when Rory was upset about the Dean breakup one episode, seemed completely over it for several episodes, and then suddenly we have Lorelai telling every character in the cast that Rory's been so upset about the breakup she can barely function. 

On a different note I will give the show props for having Jess flunk out of school for not going or doing the work. They loved to have him and Rory tell us about how smart he was and how easy school was for him but if you don't do the work you fail. It was a nice bit of realism in the Stars Hollow fairy land. I know it was really because of the failed spinoff but it was nice all the same.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

This also goes back to one of my previous points where I wish they'd written Rory making a pro/con list and then finding herself in a quandary when the result goes against what she really wants. Choosing her college would have been perfect. Give Harvard the most points as everyone expected but then Rory finds herself upset that Yale didn't win and realizes that's where she wants to go. Of course, they'd have to do away with the Yale fight but sacrifices can be made. 

I would have liked to have seen Rory get rejected from Harvard and deal with that disappointment (and Lorelai as well—she would have been in the awkward situation of having to pretend the Harvard Dream hadn't been as important to her as it clearly was), while getting accepted to Yale and having the shadow of being a (highly-qualified) legacy admission hang over it a bit. My friends and I were applying to colleges three years after Rory. The competition for highly selective schools like Harvard was tight in the 2000s—I shudder to think what kids applying now must go through . Rory getting rejected despite being qualified would have been both realistic and good drama, while also making her ultimate decision to go to Yale seem less out of the blue.

But either way, they missed a chance to tell a more interesting story about how Rory ended up at Yale. The decision felt really tacked-on and underwhelming—there was none of the thoughtful build-up that @scarynikki12's idea would entail or character growth that would have come with her getting rejected. I love most of Season 3, but for me, the very end is where the show started its decline because the writers just couldn't let Rory not have something. As a result, she got things that, in my opinion, really should have gone to Paris, like being valedictorian and getting accepted to Harvard.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Watched The Festival Of Living Art earlier. I love the scene where Lorelai goes through her baby box with Sookie. First, were bubblegum wrapper necklaces really a thing in the early 80s? Second, and more importantly, I love Lorelai's amusement when she tells Sookie the story behind John's digits. I love it so much that I'm sad they never ran into each other as adults, do the thing where they can't place each other, and then simultaneously remember with a big laugh. 

Also I really want to know what job Bo had where he could taken significant time off work with no notice and never be concerned that he might get fired. He couldn't be the boss/owner since he made a point of reminding Jackson and Sookie of the money he was losing by sticking around yet he never played the "If I stay any longer I'll lose my job" card. I'd like that job please.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 1/13/2022 at 8:15 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Also also I'm reminded of the Rory Shine. This time I'm thinking of how it sometimes takes the form of Lorelai/Rory telling the audience that Rory made a big decision when we saw the opposite. 

Or telling the audience that Rory is internally stronger than everyone else. 
LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 1/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, Hera said:

I would have liked to have seen Rory get rejected from Harvard and deal with that disappointment (and Lorelai as well—she would have been in the awkward situation of having to pretend the Harvard Dream hadn't been as important to her as it clearly was), while getting accepted to Yale and having the shadow of being a (highly-qualified) legacy admission hang over it a bit. My friends and I were applying to colleges three years after Rory. The competition for highly selective schools like Harvard was tight in the 2000s—I shudder to think what kids applying now must go through . Rory getting rejected despite being qualified would have been both realistic and good drama, while also making her ultimate decision to go to Yale seem less out of the blue.

But either way, they missed a chance to tell a more interesting story about how Rory ended up at Yale. The decision felt really tacked-on and underwhelming—there was none of the thoughtful build-up that @scarynikki12's idea would entail or character growth that would have come with her getting rejected. I love most of Season 3, but for me, the very end is where the show started its decline because the writers just couldn't let Rory not have something. As a result, she got things that, in my opinion, really should have gone to Paris, like being valedictorian and getting accepted to Harvard.

They really did. Why does Rory want to go to Yale? They never really tell us. Sure there's the pro/con list and Lorelai saying Yale. But Rory just says she doesn't want to go to place her mother hates. Your idea or @scarynikki12 would have been great to see. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

They really did. Why does Rory want to go to Yale? They never really tell us. Sure there's the pro/con list and Lorelai saying Yale. But Rory just says she doesn't want to go to place her mother hates. Your idea or @scarynikki12 would have been great to see. 

Her relationship with Jess was a factor, I believe. She was in her first likely to be sexual relationship and he had looked up the distance to Yale from SH. I think they'd considered continuing the relationship after high school. Of course Jess not graduating and using his father as a way to escape Luke's plan to help him graduate all came after the 28.2 miles moment.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think Jess was a minor factor but the major reasons Rory went along with the switch to Yale were that Richard and Emily wanted her to go there and then Lorelai decided she was ok with the change. Once the decision is made Rory is able to come up with reasons to be excited about going to Yale like the classes offered which is what she tells Jess when he confirms that she hasn't changed her mind but the reasons prior to that were almost all family based. When Jess reveals he looked up the distance Rory is surprised and delighted so I can't tell if she was privately assuming they would break up after graduation or if she assumed that Jess would wait for her in Stars Hollow and the distance reveal had her thinking he would come and visit her at school sometimes. At this point in the series it could go either way.

• Love 3

All this Yale/Harvard talk reminds me of how much I HATE the scene where the Chilton teacher says that it's an immense honor that one of their students has been accepted to Harvard, as though the other top colleges don't even exist or are somehow lesser. What a stupid comment to shoehorn in there.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

All this Yale/Harvard talk reminds me of how much I HATE the scene where the Chilton teacher says that it's an immense honor that one of their students has been accepted to Harvard, as though the other top colleges don't even exist or are somehow lesser. What a stupid comment to shoehorn in there.

I had forgotten about that scene, but you're right about how ridiculous it is. And to add to your reason, prep schools like Chilton are feeder schools (as much as any school can be) for the Ivies and other highly selective colleges and universities. Chances are, Rory wouldn't have been the only one in her graduating class to get in (are we really meant to believe Paris was the only student in their year with family connections?). This was even acknowledged in-universe as part of the reason for Rory to go to Chilton in the first place.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

That's the kind of comment that comes from envy or self-aggrandizement. Either the teacher didn't get in to Harvard or did, and is looking for a snobbish connection. 
It could also have been simply that the teacher wanted to rub it in to Paris or laud Rory.

I'm currently rewatching "To Whom it May Concern" (the episode where it is revealed that Jackson never got a vasectomy and Sookie is pregnant again), and it just occurred to me that Sookie and Jackson's fridge is kind of small and dingy. You would think a nice fridge would be something a chef like Sookie would insist on, even for her home. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Tattooeddancer said:

I'm currently rewatching "To Whom it May Concern" (the episode where it is revealed that Jackson never got a vasectomy and Sookie is pregnant again), and it just occurred to me that Sookie and Jackson's fridge is kind of small and dingy. You would think a nice fridge would be something a chef like Sookie would insist on, even for her home. 

Yes, she would. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Tattooeddancer said:

Absolutely, since she once catered from her kitchen and was willing to budget-bust for the Dragonfly stove. 

I like the "You would think" thread. Let's keep it going.

You would think Lorelai would have had her original LL bedroom in AYITL, especially since Rory didn't really live there anymore. Instead we got a room smaller than Rory's first dorm room, and decorated more in The Cheshire Cat style than Lorelai style.

• LOL 3

You would think that there would be much more character growth in AYITL.
Instead Rory regressed.
Logan regressed.
Luke became an idiot.
Emily was more hateful than ever.

Unreal ! 😩

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, SJC said:

You would think that there would be much more character growth in AYITL.
Instead Rory regressed.
Logan regressed.
Luke became an idiot.
Emily was more hateful than ever.

Unreal ! 😩

And Lorelai thinks she can have a baby!

• LOL 4

Doing my latest rewatch of the series, and my god, poor Emily in “The Reigning Lorelai”. In the cold open, her close friend has recently died, Lorelai almost immediately starts cracking jokes about the woman’s nickname, and Richard begs off going to her funeral. To say nothing of the bad taste of bailing on a good friend’s funeral, but apparently it doesn’t matter that his grieving wife might want his comfort or support. Rory is the only one who offers any sincere condolences, and then she has to spend the rest of the episode arranging the funeral of a woman who detested her. Ugh. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Doing my latest rewatch of the series, and my god, poor Emily in “The Reigning Lorelai”. In the cold open, her close friend has recently died, Lorelai almost immediately starts cracking jokes about the woman’s nickname, and Richard begs off going to her funeral. To say nothing of the bad taste of bailing on a good friend’s funeral, but apparently it doesn’t matter that his grieving wife might want his comfort or support. Rory is the only one who offers any sincere condolences, and then she has to spend the rest of the episode arranging the funeral of a woman who detested her. Ugh. 

I have 2 favorite episodes of GG, and they aired back-to-back: Scene in a Mall and The Reigning Lorelai. Kelly Bishop just knocks the portrayal of Emily out of the park in both.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I have 2 favorite episodes of GG, and they aired back-to-back: Scene in a Mall and The Reigning Lorelai. Kelly Bishop just knocks the portrayal of Emily out of the park in both.

They are FANTASTIC episodes, and Kelly Bishop really gets to show off her chops. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

They are FANTASTIC episodes, and Kelly Bishop really gets to show off her chops. 

I love those episodes. Emily when she decides she's done and then later lounging in her robe with a cocktail and cigarette. There's a side I never expected to see from Emily.

• Love 7
On 1/28/2022 at 11:16 PM, andromeda331 said:

I love those episodes. Emily when she decides she's done and then later lounging in her robe with a cocktail and cigarette. There's a side I never expected to see from Emily.

I remain utterly convinced that the persona was inspired by Emily’s mother, and that a great deal of Emily’s time is spent suppressing that side of herself in order to be accepted by the blue bloods she married. I think Emily was old money on her father’s side and her mother was in show business, and it’s why she’s so obsessed with propriety and why Lorelai I didn’t think she was good enough for Richard. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2