Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Agreed. In fact it's gotten to the point where if it's a Christophercentric episode I won't even watch it. Especially that gawd awful story line where they go Paris and get married.

Oh yes!  I am so dreading that.  I think this time around I will start skipping some of the stuff I hated.  The point of the rewatch is to have something more cheerful to watch than pandemic related news, so I have a good reason to be selective with my GG episodes 🙂

• Love 2
2 hours ago, alexa said:

Oh yes!  I am so dreading that.  I think this time around I will start skipping some of the stuff I hated.  The point of the rewatch is to have something more cheerful to watch than pandemic related news, so I have a good reason to be selective with my GG episodes 🙂

Definitely. I started watching in 2017 because the news was so depressing. It's only gotten worse.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, alexa said:

I have to do that with some GG episodes especially Christopher ones for sanity and to save my TV. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

In our episodes now, Lor and Chris are getting back together immediately after her breakup with Luke. I just want to slap the crap out of Lorelei!  Luke refuses to just run away with you to get married so you drive right to Chris’ apartment and have sex with him?! Grow the hell up, woman!!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

In our episodes now, Lor and Chris are getting back together immediately after her breakup with Luke. I just want to slap the crap out of Lorelei!  Luke refuses to just run away with you to get married so you drive right to Chris’ apartment and have sex with him?! Grow the hell up, woman!!

Yeah, that is a rough time period to watch.  I think I will try to skip that one this round.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

I put that squarely on the shoulders of ASP - she threw a temper tantrum worthy of a 2 year old because she didn't get her 2 year contract, so I'll show you and torpedo the show. Of course, the 7th season showrunners didn't need to go there, but they did.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Out of curiosity, where is everyone watching GG these days.  My cable system doesn't have it anywhere that I can find.

UP TV.  POP TV used to air a few episodes in the morning, but decided that The Love Boat would be a better choice. 🙄

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Out of curiosity, where is everyone watching GG these days.  My cable system doesn't have it anywhere that I can find.

I bought the DVDs a long time ago, so I do a rewatch every now and then.  I am pretty sure it is available on Netflix, but I don’t have Netflix.  

12 hours ago, Gam2 said:

Yes. So very painful.

My current GG series is seasons 1-5 plus the first nine episodes of S6. That way I get to enjoy the moving in, remodeling and reunion with Rory. 
The other episodes are dead to me.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

It’s on 3-7 on UPTV if you have that channel.  And as others have mentioned, NetFlix.

• Love 3

I continue to rewatch and ... Lorelai's "perfect" wedding dress? Is SO UGLY I cannot take it. It makes Lauren Graham, a teeny tiny actress, look lumpy and stumpy, and the "blush" looks like ancient, unwashed lingerie. UGH.  And then she runs around wondering what's wrong with it? It's HIDEOUS, that's what's wrong! AND Sookie let you buy it! And Rory wasn't even there, right after the amazing reconciliation?! Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

• Love 4

I like the dress Lorelai wore to Rory's coming out party in season 2 and thought the white version would make for a lovely wedding dress. Lauren tends to look best in bold and dark colors so I could see a scenario where Lorelai decides to forgo white in favor of a formal dress in a color that flatters Lauren. But never the off white/blush/whatever color that monstrosity was. Emily would have ripped her apart for choosing that had the wedding gone through and she'd have been right. I'm sure it was another sign the wedding wasn't going to happen but I'd rather Lorelai had found a dress that actually looked perfect on Lauren to drive home the tragedy of it. Instead I'm glad no one had to watch her get married looking like that.

• Love 3

Remember when Miss Celine was helping Emily pick out a dress for the vow renewal, and Lorelai picked out a gown and held it up to herself? Now that was a pretty gown.

Edited by chessiegal
because vow and vowel are not the same.
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Remember when Miss Celine was helping Emily pick out a dress for the vowel renewal, and Lorelai picked out a gown and held it up to herself? Now that was a pretty gown.

2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I like the dress Lorelai wore to Rory's coming out party in season 2 and thought the white version would make for a lovely wedding dress. Lauren tends to look best in bold and dark colors so I could see a scenario where Lorelai decides to forgo white in favor of a formal dress in a color that flatters Lauren. But never the off white/blush/whatever color that monstrosity was. Emily would have ripped her apart for choosing that had the wedding gone through and she'd have been right. I'm sure it was another sign the wedding wasn't going to happen but I'd rather Lorelai had found a dress that actually looked perfect on Lauren to drive home the tragedy of it. Instead I'm glad no one had to watch her get married looking like that.

Both of those were really pretty dresses that Lorelai looked great in or would look great in the one she found among Emily's gown choices. I could also see Lorelai picking a dress that she loved that wasn't white. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Both of those were really pretty dresses that Lorelai looked great in or would look great in the one she found among Emily's gown choices. I could also see Lorelai picking a dress that she loved that wasn't white. 

Agreed. Blue would have been too on the nose. Green? She always looked good in green. I wanted to wear red to mine but got vetoed. 

• Love 1

Honestly, Lorelai pretends to be an eccentric, but she makes very safe and traditional decisions in her life. I doubt she would have worn something non-white. When she had the discussion with Sookie, the BFOTB, and Luke who wasn't included in the wedding preparations (!), she said she didn't know if she would wear white. For her, that means wearing off-white or blush.

• Love 3

Before the revival I'd have agreed. Lorelai was eccentric in comparison to her parents but take that away and she was fairly traditional. Series Lorelai would never dream of wearing a wedding dress that was outside of conventional standards. The monstrosity she chose in season 6 was as close as she got. But then the revival happened and she wore a nice but casual black dress when she married Luke. She looked great since dark colors work well on Lauren but it was still far away from a traditional wedding dress. She no doubt had a traditional dress in her closet for the scheduled wedding time but she didn't choose it when they ran to the town square to marry early. That tells me that Lorelai wasn't quite as traditional as we'd thought and maybe would have been open to a different dress color with the right prompting from the right stylist.

That's another thing we were denied in season 6 when the Ps had their tantrum. Even if Lorelai did eventually wear a white wedding dress, how much fun would it have been to see Emily insist on bringing in some fancy stylist (not whats her name) or designer to make sure Lorelai dressed appropriately only to have this person then say "white looks terrible on you, how about green/blue/purple/etc?"

• Love 4

Watched S6 E1 last night. 
What a stupid setup for the Zima joke.

Lorelai has a bottle of sparkling wine in her hands. She comments on the price (5 or 6 bucks) and Taylor assures her she will get a good buzz from it.

She puts it back on the shelf. Now Zima is a good and the only idea? Hello! champagne right in front of you!

• Love 2

This rewatch is very strange.  Some things I remember so clearly and other things come up so quickly I forgot they happened and cringe at the same time.  I just saw the episode where Chris comes to Sookie's wedding and all of the sudden him and Lorelai are "together" just like that.  Admittedly I wasn't watching closely, but I looked up wondering why they were so cozy, and then remembered the storyline.  And then off he goes because Sherry is pregnant.  It was storylines like these that we could have done without--why bother having Chris and Lorelai have so many moments like this when we all know they don't belong together whatsoever?  And they never add anything good to an episode/s.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I need a reminder.  What's happening there?

That's when Rory quit school and ran to Grandpa for shelter.  The elder Gilmore's then completely ditched the plan to get her back into school and gave her the pool house in which to live.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

That's when Rory quit school and ran to Grandpa for shelter.  The elder Gilmore's then completely ditched the plan to get her back into school and gave her the pool house in which to live.

There's really nothing about Rory that I like in that storyline.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

And I can't really blame him after Rory came crying and hugging him like that. That story Lorelei told Emily over the phone in the revival shows what a soft spot he has. Also wish he told Loelrelei "Look you didn't want to go to school and cried to me about it. Rory did the same thing!"

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

And I can't really blame him after Rory came crying and hugging him like that. That story Lorelei told Emily over the phone in the revival shows what a soft spot he has. Also wish he told Loelrelei "Look you didn't want to go to school and cried to me about it. Rory did the same thing!"

Also, much as I hate pretty much every decision Rory made from stealing the yacht on, there's no point in forcing someone to go to school.  If R&E hadn't taken her in, Logan may have made arrangements for her.  She may have actually been able to get a job and get some really tiny sucky apartment somewhere.  Or, she could have sulkily agreed to go back to school and tanked all her classes.  She was kind of in a tantrum throwing mode.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

Lorelai didn't go crying to Richard. She got pregnant, had the baby and they treated her so shabbily, she left.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Lorelai didn't go crying to Richard. She got pregnant, had the baby and they treated her so shabbily, she left.

This was a reference to the revival. Lorelai calls Emily (after being unable to tell a nice anecdote of Richard after the funeral) and tells her a story about how she had skipped school because kids were making fun of her and she ran into Richard and he made a very special day for her instead of punishing her and kept it their secret.

I hate the revival so I don't have all the details right, I'm sure. I have tried rewatching it and found it unwatchable by and large.

4 minutes ago, deaja said:

This was a reference to the revival. Lorelai calls Emily (after being unable to tell a nice anecdote of Richard after the funeral) and tells her a story about how she had skipped school because kids were making fun of her and she ran into Richard and he made a very special day for her instead of punishing her and kept it their secret.

I hate the revival so I don't have all the details right, I'm sure. I have tried rewatching it and found it unwatchable by and large.

I hated it too and I didn't think we were supposed to allude to it in non revival threads.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

I hated it too and I didn't think we were supposed to allude to it in non revival threads.

No, it can be talked about anywhere other than season specific threads.  For better or worse (definitely for worse) it is part of the show canon now.

CourteousSlimyCoot-small.gif

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

1 hour ago, deaja said:

Yep, that's what I was referring to.

Were Richard and Emily great as parents in general? No. They were however loving grandparents IMO.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

No, they weren't. They just wanted a do over with Rory because Lorelai didn't turn out to be the obedient little robot child they wanted.

Sure, when they actually had Rory stay with them they ended up pushing her away by being too controlling as they had been with Lorelei but they both went after the Huntzbergers individually when they found out what Mitchum said to her. The revival proving him right notwithstanding. If you want to see what a NOT loving grandparent is look at Chris's dad.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Sure, when they actually had Rory stay with them they ended up pushing her away by being too controlling as they had been with Lorelei but they both went after the Huntzbergers when's individually they found out what Mitchum said to her. The revival proving him right notwithstanding. If you want to see what a NOT loving grandparent is look at Chris's dad.

Oh God yes, not to mention if you want a mother who does nothing and just make up excuses for their child, look at Francine, Chris's mother. My God they were both a piece of work. Yet Straub's father left Chris everything of the family fortune. Another WTF?

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Yes, that was Chris’ grandfather. He held the family purse strings. And Francine was apparently a better grandmother with Gigi. Chris leaves Gigi with her quite often.

Yet, would never acknowledge Rory in any shape or form. Even getting into Yale. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

No, they weren't. They just wanted a do over with Rory because Lorelai didn't turn out to be the obedient little robot child they wanted.

Agreed.  Another example of this was an episode I just saw where Lorelai has to tell her parents that Chris' girlfriend is pregnant, as Emily is drilling her why she couldn't work it out with Christopher.  Emily is supportive of Lorelai in this case, but Richard goes off about how Christopher is of course going to do the right thing to have a family since he is with someone that gives him a chance to do that.  In the meantime greatly criticizing his own daughter as if it is all her fault that she didn't marry Christopher when she was 16.   

I never really understand why they think so highly of him when it is clear that he hasn't really been around much.  I know that because Lorelai left them they assume it is her fault and that she left him behind too, but I think they are a bit over the top on this one.   

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, alexa said:

I never really understand why they think so highly of him when it is clear that he hasn't really been around much. 

And Emily went so far as to tell him to attend the vow renewal and break up Luke and Lorelai calling him "a weak but charming boy",  But he had "good breeding" so apparently, much like a dog, that was what mattered to the elder Gilmores.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, alexa said:

I never really understand why they think so highly of him when it is clear that he hasn't really been around much.  I know that because Lorelai left them they assume it is her fault and that she left him behind too, but I think they are a bit over the top on this one.   

4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

And Emily went so far as to tell him to attend the vow renewal and break up Luke and Lorelai calling him "a weak but charming boy",  But he had "good breeding" so apparently, much like a dog, that was what mattered to the elder Gilmores.

On the flip side of that coin, though, Emily had already seen that Lorelai herself had not "gotten over" Christopher even in the decade and a half they had not been together. Anybody with half a brain could pick up on that in Christopher Returns, Presenting Lorelai Gilmore, I Can't Get Started, Haunted Leg, and others. Emily overstepped her bounds, absolutely, but I really do believe she thought Lorelai would have been happy if she and Chris were finally able to make a relationship work. WE knew that Luke was the one Lorelai was really supposed to be with, sure, but keep in mind Emily had already seen Lorelai break off one engagement to a man she was supposedly serious about and moved on to Christopher just a few months after that. 

I can see why Emily refused to let go of the idea that Christopher was "the one" until he and Lorelai actually got married and divorced, that's all I'm saying.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

On the flip side of that coin, though, Emily had already seen that Lorelai herself had not "gotten over" Christopher even in the decade and a half they had not been together. Anybody with half a brain could pick up on that in Christopher Returns, Presenting Lorelai Gilmore, I Can't Get Started, Haunted Leg, and others. Emily overstepped her bounds, absolutely, but I really do believe she thought Lorelai would have been happy if she and Chris were finally able to make a relationship work. WE knew that Luke was the one Lorelai was really supposed to be with, sure, but keep in mind Emily had already seen Lorelai break off one engagement to a man she was supposedly serious about and moved on to Christopher just a few months after that. 

I can see why Emily refused to let go of the idea that Christopher was "the one" until he and Lorelai actually got married and divorced, that's all I'm saying.

I agree with that.  I am more concerned about how much they praise Christopher and act like he is some great individual while putting down their own daughter who made a decent life for herself, and was there for Rory even when she was a young person herself.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, alexa said:

I agree with that.  I am more concerned about how much they praise Christopher and act like he is some great individual while putting down their own daughter who made a decent life for herself, and was there for Rory even when she was a young person herself.

And they act like Luke was trash even though he was always there for Lorelai and Rory. Christopher couldn't be bothered.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, alexa said:

That bothers me too. They praise Christopher and treat him like he's some great guy. When he took off and has done nothing to raise or support the granddaughter they love. In the pilot Richard's praising Christopher for being a great business man which we find out later is a big fat lie. And we do know in the pilot that Lorelai is taking business classes. Which Lorelai tells her parents' that Christopher went back to Sherry because she's pregnant Richard immediately acts like of course he's going to do the right thing. Even though Christopher didn't do the right thing for his precious granddaughter. I hate how much both of them act like Lorelai turning Christopher down completely absolves him of any part of raising and supporting his daughter. Its not Christopher's fault its Lorelai's. That's bullshit. Marriage or no marriage its still his responsibility to take care and help raise his daughter. Not only does he do nothing in raising Rory, its really clear that Christopher has no interest in Rory unless it gets him something he wants Lorelai or Sherry. And if Sherry had no interest in Rory who knows when Rory would have seen him again. We never once see Christopher take an interest in his daughter for Rory and no other reason. 

• Love 3
On 4/27/2020 at 7:32 PM, readster said:

Yet, would never acknowledge Rory in any shape or form. Even getting into Yale. 

Nope not at all. I know I mention this a lot. But I always hoped that Lorelai sent them a copy of Rory's acceptance letter to Princeton with some comment about it not being good enough for a Gilmore or Rory. Its petty I know. But they deserve it.

On 4/27/2020 at 5:16 PM, chitowngirl said:

Yes, that was Chris’ grandfather. He held the family purse strings. And Francine was apparently a better grandmother with Gigi. Chris leaves Gigi with her quite often.

If it was Straub's father I wonder if he hated Straub and left the money to Christopher to piss him off. That certainly would. I hated that Francine had no problem babysitting Gigi but wouldn't even acknowledge Rory. That's something I really wish Rory had brought up or felt some sort of anger about towards Francine or even towards Christopher who seemed to have no problem with it. Then again most of the time Christopher forgot about Rory so maybe he gets that part from his mother.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:14 PM, peacheslatour said:

They really weren't. They loved Rory because she was the "good" granddaughter who mostly went along with everything. She had the debutante for Emily. She seemed to enjoy the country club and events. She went to Chilton and plans to go to Harvard but ended up choosing Yale. Richard could talk with her about books and things. Had Rory been any different they really wouldn't have. If Rory had other interests besides books would Richard have bother to get to know her? If Rory decided none of the stuff interested her would they have still have cared? No. They wanted Lorelai to be the obedient little robot child even as an adult in her thirties they were still trying to change her into what they wanted her to be. They wanted Christopher because he had the right breeding which was the look they wanted. When it looked like Lorelai and Luke might end up getting married Richard tried to "fix" him so he'd be presentable nothing else mattered. Emily of course worked on breaking them up. When Rory redated Dean they tried to fix that by having that stupid Yale boy party. Look at how they treats Lorelai at the terrible dinner that Logan comes. Because they don't need her anymore. They got the "perfect" couple they want. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

That bothers me too. They praise Christopher and treat him like he's some great guy. When he took off and has done nothing to raise or support the granddaughter they love. In the pilot Richard's praising Christopher for being a great business man which we find out later is a big fat lie. And we do know in the pilot that Lorelai is taking business classes. Which Lorelai tells her parents' that Christopher went back to Sherry because she's pregnant Richard immediately acts like of course he's going to do the right thing. Even though Christopher didn't do the right thing for his precious granddaughter. I hate how much both of them act like Lorelai turning Christopher down completely absolves him of any part of raising and supporting his daughter. Its not Christopher's fault its Lorelai's. That's bullshit. Marriage or no marriage its still his responsibility to take care and help raise his daughter. Not only does he do nothing in raising Rory, its really clear that Christopher has no interest in Rory unless it gets him something he wants Lorelai or Sherry. And if Sherry had no interest in Rory who knows when Rory would have seen him again. We never once see Christopher take an interest in his daughter for Rory and no other reason. 

Right and they kept doing it over, and over, and over and hell even in the "rich society" praised Chris while Lorelai was basically blamed for everything going wrong in his and was just a "screw up" no matter how much success she had or did. Even in the final episode of the Revival when Rory said things to Christopher, which were like needed to be told over 30 years ago. He still acts like he was the victim and Rory just basically walks out going: "My father is the biggest asshole around and will never feel anything and everyone who gave him excuses are now dead. So FU!"

AS-P's hard on for Sutliffe never lead to any "great stories" with Christopher and they were just really stupid writing and was a waste of the actor's talent over the course of the series. While the creative teams wanted to constantly praise how great of a character Christopher was, he was probably the most wasted, hated character next to Kirk and Taylor.

• Love 3