Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

As embarrassing as it is to watch I love how awkward Rory is around Dean in Cinnamon's Wake and how tongue tied she is. Pretty much everything that comes out of her mouth when she speaks or tries to speak to him was bad. But I like that they did it. She's someone who's never dated so it makes complete sense. I do like Dean's confused and at the end thinks it means she's not interested.

Yep.  That was 100% realistic for a shy girl with her first crush.  Completely sweet and innocent and awkward.

• Love 4

I am rewatching (kind of - I put the show on while I'm puttering around the house or whatever), but I just hit the episode when Lorelai is deciding whether to say yes to Max and I have to say this: No way does Stars Hollow's newsstand have THAT MANY bridal magazines.  Seriously, not only are there a variety of titles, but there are like, 8 copies of each! It's a SMALL TOWN.

I know there are other things to nitpick about this whole scenario, but that one hit me hard today.

• LOL 4

I am rewatching the whole series for the 3rd or 4th time--can't remember which.  I am starting so I have something cheerful to watch during this coronavirus time--for nights that there isn't much on TV.  I finished Downton Abbey a month or so ago so needed something to have on hand.  It is helpful already--you can always count on Gilmore Girls.  I still can't believe how much Lauren Graham has changed though, over the years.  It isn't that she hasn't aged well--as she looks fine--but she just looked so great in those Gilmore Girls years.  

• Love 5
On 3/17/2020 at 7:41 AM, alexa said:

I am rewatching the whole series for the 3rd or 4th time--can't remember which.  I am starting so I have something cheerful to watch during this coronavirus time--for nights that there isn't much on TV.  I finished Downton Abbey a month or so ago so needed something to have on hand.  It is helpful already--you can always count on Gilmore Girls.  I still can't believe how much Lauren Graham has changed though, over the years.  It isn't that she hasn't aged well--as she looks fine--but she just looked so great in those Gilmore Girls years.  

I know what you mean. I don’t think it’s just the normal aging that makes her look so different. I think it’s Botox. Her facial acting used to be so incredible. In fall when Luke was pouring his heart out to her, instead of looking like she loved him (like the OS when she proposed) she just looked weird . You could tell she was suppose to be projecting some kind of emotion in her face but to me it just didn’t work. Botox kind of freezes your face. I do think she was already making some changes to her face by season 7. She used to have this cute smile that wasn’t the same. It wasn’t drastic but something I always admired and thought was beautiful and unique about her that was gone. I still love her, even though the revival was a total disappointment.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

I still love her, even though the revival was a total disappointment.

Holllywood is brutal for aging actors.  I can see why she would feel it necessary to use Botox or have surgery.  I can't say I wouldn't in her shoes - luckily that's not an issue for me!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Holllywood is brutal for aging actors.  I can see why she would feel it necessary to use Botox or have surgery.  I can't say I wouldn't in her shoes - luckily that's not an issue for me!

Unfortunately, this is true.

• Love 2

On the episode where Rory is stuck at her grandma’s house, and Lorelei has a date with Max..... I don’t understand why Rory was stupid enough to interrupt a great moment of them all eating frozen pizza to go get a photo album that you know will have pics that are upsetting to them.  Also do not understand Lane freaking out on Rory when a look outside clearly shows snow, and that she is probably stuck at the grandparents.  It was just very off for Lane to just stay at Rory’s house and not figure out she is not coming home.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, alexa said:

I don’t understand why Rory was stupid enough to interrupt a great moment of them all eating frozen pizza to go get a photo album that you know will have pics that are upsetting to them.

I don't understand the photo album.  It was in Lorelai's room, but it had a photo of Emily's sister when she was younger.  After a picture of baby Lorelai.  It was just a bunch of random pictures in no particular order.

• Love 3

I'm doing another watch-through and I am once again struck by how frustrated I get with Sookie. There are many times when Sookie goes out of her way to do incredible things for Rory and Lorelai, and I think Lorelai takes advantage of her, but there are also times when I want to hit Sookie over the head with a frying pan. The catered birthday party, for one. Didn't she help Lorelai with Rory's birthday parties for years? They say that in an earlier episode. So I don't buy that she doesn't know what to cook for kids. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I'm doing another watch-through and I am once again struck by how frustrated I get with Sookie. There are many times when Sookie goes out of her way to do incredible things for Rory and Lorelai, and I think Lorelai takes advantage of her, but there are also times when I want to hit Sookie over the head with a frying pan. The catered birthday party, for one. Didn't she help Lorelai with Rory's birthday parties for years? They say that in an earlier episode. So I don't buy that she doesn't know what to cook for kids. 

Just another example of the writer's inconsistency. It's so prevalent, it gets to the point of hardly worth mentioning.

I saw a commercial for Finish dishwasher detergent saying you should run your dishwasher every day, full or not (BS), and it reminded me of Emily telling a maid not to run the dishwasher when it wasn't full, yet when Rory is snowed in there she acts like she doesn't know how to use the stove. Yeah, I'm sure Emily is regularly checking how full the dishwasher is. (Not)

• Love 4
10 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Yeah there are some episodes she drives me crazy in. That's one of them, the one where she insists on checking the stove before it gets install then doesn't make it and acts like its no big deal and the episode where she harasses poor Luke's cooking when he's doing them a big favor by helping out at the inn because Sookie didn't bother to find a replacement for her pregnancy leave. Also whenever she's annoyed about vegetarians and the scene she tries to casually suggest sliding some meat into their dish but Lorelai nixes it. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Yeah there are some episodes she drives me crazy in. That's one of them, the one where she insists on checking the stove before it gets install then doesn't make it and acts like its no big deal and the episode where she harasses poor Luke's cooking when he's doing them a big favor by helping out at the inn because Sookie didn't bother to find a replacement for her pregnancy leave. Also whenever she's annoyed about vegetarians and the scene she tries to casually suggest sliding some meat into their dish but Lorelai nixes it. 

I watched one yesterday where she tried to fix Lorelai up with their new poultry guy and the way she was simpering and giggling like an idiot made me want to retch.

• Love 2

I just saw the Dean says I love you episode.  Rory handled it pretty well and I just don’t get his reaction.  It wasn’t like she said she hated him.  Lol  I cringe every time I see that part of the episode.  

• Love 6
15 hours ago, alexa said:

I just saw the Dean says I love you episode.  Rory handled it pretty well and I just don’t get his reaction.  It wasn’t like she said she hated him.  Lol  I cringe every time I see that part of the episode.  

I agree. She didn't laugh in his face or anything, she just froze, it was so unexpected and she was so inexperienced. A coquette would be able to play that off but Rory might as well have been a five year old. Dean waaay over reacted and it made him seem like an even bigger creep than he already was getting to be.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I agree. She didn't laugh in his face or anything, she just froze, it was so unexpected and she was so inexperienced. A coquette would be able to play that off but Rory might as well have been a five year old. Dean waaay over reacted and it made him seem like an even bigger creep than he already was getting to be.

Yes, she took the time to take it in, be honest with him, and didn't give any impression at all that she "couldn't' be in love with him--just that saying it right now didn't feel right.  Also he could see how much she was enjoying the evening--that should have been some sign that things were okay with them.  And yes, it made him seem very creepy.  

• Love 5
18 hours ago, alexa said:

Yes, she took the time to take it in, be honest with him, and didn't give any impression at all that she "couldn't' be in love with him--just that saying it right now didn't feel right.  Also he could see how much she was enjoying the evening--that should have been some sign that things were okay with them.  And yes, it made him seem very creepy.  

However, that's how Dean was written and as much as AS-P loved having Jared around, she couldn't help, but write Dean as: "Act first, think second." Even when he and Jess got into the fight at the end of season 3. He didn't get a straight answer from Rory on what happened, and at that moment, Rory was confused what was going on. If they didn't write Dean or Rory as "not able to talk" they wrote Jess even worst, no matter if AS-Pl loved Milo just as much as as Jared and Sutliffe, she wrote like crap with them.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, readster said:

However, that's how Dean was written and as much as AS-P loved having Jared around, she couldn't help, but write Dean as: "Act first, think second." Even when he and Jess got into the fight at the end of season 3. He didn't get a straight answer from Rory on what happened, and at that moment, Rory was confused what was going on. If they didn't write Dean or Rory as "not able to talk" they wrote Jess even worst, no matter if AS-Pl loved Milo just as much as as Jared and Sutliffe, she wrote like crap with them.

I agree.  I guess all storylines and characters are based on the writing though, so I guess when discussing the storylines and characters it is just as easy to discuss it as that character didn't handle the situation well.  But I know what you mean--there are many flaws in the writing causing unnecessary drama.  

Another thing with Season 1 that is always odd to me--  was Max intended to just be a recurring character-- is that why he is so off and on in Season 1?  In every rewatch I find it odd how he is such a major part of a story and then disappears as if he doesn't exist for a few episodes.  and then he is back and important again.  I think it makes it hard to get invested in him as a character or his relationship with Lorelai.  

• Love 4

God, Max. I couldn't stand him. Right from the beginning. I think poorly of teachers that become involved with a student's parent, it's just so inappropriate. I completely agreed with Emily when she told Lorelai it was a bad idea, though of course that just convinced Lorelai that they were some kind of dramatic, star-crossed lovers situation which led to overwrought declarations about how much she wanted to be with him. And then when they finally were actually together they lasted what? Six months? I swear Lorelai was into that relationship largely for the wrong reasons (I do think she had some feelings for him I just don't think she ever really loved him). As much as I agreed with Emily perhaps she should have said, "Oh, Lorelai, I think that's just wonderful! When can we meet him?" Decent chance Lorelai would have run screaming.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, slf said:

God, Max. I couldn't stand him. Right from the beginning. I think poorly of teachers that become involved with a student's parent, it's just so inappropriate. I completely agreed with Emily when she told Lorelai it was a bad idea, though of course that just convinced Lorelai that they were some kind of dramatic, star-crossed lovers situation which led to overwrought declarations about how much she wanted to be with him. And then when they finally were actually together they lasted what? Six months? I swear Lorelai was into that relationship largely for the wrong reasons (I do think she had some feelings for him I just don't think she ever really loved him). As much as I agreed with Emily perhaps she should have said, "Oh, Lorelai, I think that's just wonderful! When can we meet him?" Decent chance Lorelai would have run screaming.

I agree. I still can't figure out how long they dated. They dated for two months before Lorelai freaked out and they broke up after the kiss at school and Max decided he couldn't handle it anymore. They were apart for months until the last couple episodes of the season when they decided to start talking on the phone. They were talking about finally going on another date in PS I Love. They go on a date in the last episode but who knows if that was their first date since they broke up or not. Even if it wasn't they couldn't have gone on that many dates between the two episodes. Then decide to get engaged despite still barely knowing each other and have a wedding shower but then Max is gone all summer. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

He wasn't Luke. That's all I got.

Well, definitely that in my mind.  But Max was just so......normal.  Lorelai was just not cut out to be the wife of a high school teacher.  She was much more suited to Jason in personality although I hated the heck out of him, too.  He was just written to be more her type.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Lorelai was just not cut out to be the wife of a high school teacher. 

Oh man, when you put it like that, you really do realize how utterly unsuited they were to each other. I mean, that's laughable! 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, definitely that in my mind.  But Max was just so......normal.  Lorelai was just not cut out to be the wife of a high school teacher.  She was much more suited to Jason in personality although I hated the heck out of him, too.  He was just written to be more her type.

He was also too pushy.  First he kept pressuring her to date him even though she was clearly uncomfortable with dating Rory's teacher.  No means no, Max.  Then all she did was pick up a book while browsing his shelves and he forced it on her.  Lorealai is not Rory, Max.  She doesn't like to devour deep literature.  And before anyone yells at me, that's not the same thing as saying she's stupid, because she's not.  Then, he basically tells her that they have to get married way before either one of them could possibly be ready for this step.

I liked Max as a teacher and a mentor to Rory and Paris.  But as a boyfriend to Lorelai (or probably anyone else) he was horrible.  I actually loved the scene when Paris assigned Rory an interview with him and they both said that they were sorry he wouldn't be her stepdad.  Made me tear up a bit.  

• Love 5

I liked Max as a teacher and a mentor to Rory and Paris.  But as a boyfriend to Lorelai (or probably anyone else) he was horrible.  I actually loved the scene when Paris assigned Rory an interview with him and they both said that they were sorry he wouldn't be her stepdad.  Made me tear up a bit. 

I agree. He was a good teacher and Rory was fond of him. He wasn't right for Lorelai. Too conventional and Jason was a lunatic, I couldn't stand him and his poor robot dog. But at least they were decent to Lorelai. Christopher needed to fall off the face of the earth.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Totally agree.

Did we ever really see him interact with Paris, though? You've got me wondering now....

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

He was also too pushy.  First he kept pressuring her to date him even though she was clearly uncomfortable with dating Rory's teacher.  No means no, Max.  Then all she did was pick up a book while browsing his shelves and he forced it on her.  Lorealai is not Rory, Max.  She doesn't like to devour deep literature.  And before anyone yells at me, that's not the same thing as saying she's stupid, because she's not.  Then, he basically tells her that they have to get married way before either one of them could possibly be ready for this step.

I liked him too better as a teacher. I hate how pushy he was She kept saying no, she kept explaining why she said no but it was no big deal until he got in trouble and he can't handle it and ends it. Then suddenly he couldn't handle it. That's was ticked me off about him. That's what made me hate him. It went exactly how Lorelai said it would. Rory was embarrassed and he got reamed by Charleston.   But oh no now he couldn't handle it. Great Max. Glad you realize that now after everything blew up. What? He's somehow shocked that the Headmaster called him into his office and chewed him out for it? Really, Max? What about Charleston made you think he'd be totally okay with you dating a student's parent? 

The other part that made me hate him was his fight with Lorelai after Luke left. He pesters her about her and Luke and doesn't believe her when Lorelai is telling the truth that she didn't hook up with Luke. She's telling the truth but he won't believe her. He keeps asking her until Lorelai finally tells him she slept with Christopher. Suddenly Max doesn't want to talk about it anymore. Even though he had just told her right before she told him about Christopher that he dated someone during their break and slept with her. But then he gets his answer and he doesn't want to talk about it anymore. He claims he didn't mean for it to turn into a contest but he's the one who brought it up and wouldn't let it go. Then he proposes. Why? Would he really have proposed if Luke hadn't been at the house? I really don't think he would have. He says he thought about and decided to go for it. But why? The whole reason he proposed because the fight and being annoyed how it always gets weird for them. But he was one who started the fight in first place because Luke was there when he arrived. Those two scenes always stand out to me with Max. 

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

How Many Kropogs to Cape Cod

That has to be my least favorite episode in the series.  It was just disgusting.  And when Rory and Lorelai allowed that maid to get in trouble knowing it was the fault of the smarmy jerk, I was throwing rubber bricks at the screen.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

That has to be my least favorite episode in the series.  It was just disgusting.  And when Rory and Lorelai allowed that maid to get in trouble knowing it was the fault of the smarmy jerk, I was throwing rubber bricks at the screen.

So was I. She was just as bad as R&E, kissing up to Logan when she should have pointed to him as the thief.

• Love 2
On 4/5/2020 at 8:42 PM, andromeda331 said:

I liked him too better as a teacher. I hate how pushy he was She kept saying no, she kept explaining why she said no but it was no big deal until he got in trouble and he can't handle it and ends it. Then suddenly he couldn't handle it. That's was ticked me off about him. That's what made me hate him. It went exactly how Lorelai said it would. Rory was embarrassed and he got reamed by Charleston.   But oh no now he couldn't handle it. Great Max. Glad you realize that now after everything blew up. What? He's somehow shocked that the Headmaster called him into his office and chewed him out for it? Really, Max? What about Charleston made you think he'd be totally okay with you dating a student's parent? 

The other part that made me hate him was his fight with Lorelai after Luke left. He pesters her about her and Luke and doesn't believe her when Lorelai is telling the truth that she didn't hook up with Luke. She's telling the truth but he won't believe her. He keeps asking her until Lorelai finally tells him she slept with Christopher. Suddenly Max doesn't want to talk about it anymore. Even though he had just told her right before she told him about Christopher that he dated someone during their break and slept with her. But then he gets his answer and he doesn't want to talk about it anymore. He claims he didn't mean for it to turn into a contest but he's the one who brought it up and wouldn't let it go. Then he proposes. Why? Would he really have proposed if Luke hadn't been at the house? I really don't think he would have. He says he thought about and decided to go for it. But why? The whole reason he proposed because the fight and being annoyed how it always gets weird for them. But he was one who started the fight in first place because Luke was there when he arrived. Those two scenes always stand out to me with Max. 

To add to this, on the episode where Max is staying at Lorelei’s house, and he gets all weirded out about what role he will play there.  I mean, he rushed a marriage, they didn’t discuss anything, so why yell at Lorelei when neither of you planned well?

Then when she calls Chris at the party, it makes no sense he doesn’t know about the wedding.  When he visited she made it sound like they talked weekly, and so neither of them thought to mention she is engaged?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, alexa said:

To add to this, on the episode where Max is staying at Lorelei’s house, and he gets all weirded out about what role he will play there.  I mean, he rushed a marriage, they didn’t discuss anything, so why yell at Lorelei when neither of you planned well?

Then when she calls Chris at the party, it makes no sense he doesn’t know about the wedding.  When he visited she made it sound like they talked weekly, and so neither of them thought to mention she is engaged?

I agree, I mean if Chris and Lore were still so hung up on each other. Why couldn't Lorelai tell him this? Plus, end of season 2 when she just rushes out going: "Sherry is pregnant!" "I have to go be there for her!" I always felt it was kind of like Chris just goes into fight or flight mode. Same with Max, I mean he wants to get married, that includes become a step parent and of course, he decides he will be a father figure to Rory. Of course then Lorelai pulls out that bs line: "Rory doesn't need any more raising." At 16, yes you do, hell you have 18 year olds who still need to be told once in a while: "That isn't a great decision." Maybe not hammer into things like they are 5, but still, even if someone can legally drive, doesn't mean you are just magically done raising someone. 

Of course the way Rory turns out by the end of the series and the revival. Yeah, she was NO WHERE near being raised.

• Love 2

Same with Max, I mean he wants to get married, that includes become a step parent and of course, he decides he will be a father figure to Rory. Of

That right there is when I knew Lorelai would never marry him. Lorelai wasn't looking for a co-parent, she was playing with him. She didn't even want him in her bed, let alone her life.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, alexa said:

32 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That right there is when I knew Lorelai would never marry him. Lorelai wasn't looking for a co-parent, she was playing with him. She didn't even want him in her bed, let alone her life.

I don't know why they got engaged. It really seems like had they only dated for a few months they both would have realized it wasn't going to work out. I know we're suppose to see all the signs on Lorelai's side that its not going to work out. Which we do. She doesn't make room for him, doesn't want him in her bed or talks to him when he spends the night she spends the evening talking with Rory and then comes to get into Rory's bed, and not talking to him about what his role will be. But what about Max? Why was he rushing into marriage with someone he barely knew? He didn't know that Lorelai would bring him ice cream after they ate, he's still very confused by her, because he doesn't know her. He hasn't taken the time to get to know her. Why did he wait so long to ask what his role would be? Why did he propose? I still think it had to do with Luke more then Lorelai. Seeing Luke in her house and thinking Lorelai dated him while they were broken up never mind that he dated someone else. He hadn't realized Lorelai had other options not just him. Had Luke not been there would he have proposed? I don't think so. I don't think Lorelai was in love with him and I really don't think Max was in love with her. She wasn't was ready for marriage which seems like a no brainer because they hadn't dated each other very long, they still barely knew each other and hadn't even relaxed with each other. They didn't have a lot in common. Had they dated a little longer they would have realized it. They both made the mistake by rushing into it. Not just Lorelai. 

Lorelai not telling Christopher doesn't surprise me. I always thought Lorelai was lying when she said they hear from Christopher once a week. He never told Lorelai or Rory that he moved in fact Lorelai only finds out when she calls him about Rory's debutante and finds the number out of service. He knew nothing about Dean until he showed up in season one and thought Rory was into sports. I doubt he'd think that if he actually did call more often. 

• Love 4

I always thought Lorelai was lying when she said they hear from Christopher once a week. He never told Lorelai or Rory that he moved in fact Lorelai only finds out when she calls him about Rory's debutante and finds the number out of service. He knew nothing about Dean until he showed up in season one and thought Rory was into sports. I doubt he'd think that if he actually did call more often.

I thought so too. Didn't she just say that to some acquaintance at one of Emily's soiree's? I think she just said it because she wanted that person to think better of Christoper and his neglect of Rory.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I thought so too. Didn't she just say that to some acquaintance at one of Emily's soiree's? I think she just said it because she wanted that person to think better of Christoper and his neglect of Rory.

Yes, at the 16th birthday party Emily threw for Rory, Lorelai runs into an acquaintance or old classmate Mitzi. I think it was to make them both look better since Mitzi greets her by calling her "scandal girl" and saying she hadn't seen her since her 8th month. But she also says it to Sookie which I don't think was true either. If he called as much as Lorelai claims I think Sookie would know. They would have talked about it often.  When he shows up Rory thinks he's still dating someone he broke up with months ago.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

She actually said it to him too and he agreed...it was a random conversation between the two of them. That said, I never believed it either.  

editing to add, on season 2 right now, and in the conversation with Christopher being invited to Rory’s coming out, they both basically said he never calls when he says he will.  And he said he hadn’t heard from her in a while.  Lol. So there you have it!  

Edited by alexa
  • Love 2
On 4/7/2020 at 7:59 PM, andromeda331 said:

He didn't know that Lorelai would bring him ice cream after they ate, he's still very confused by her, because he doesn't know her.

Don't talk to me about that scene. I HATED that Dean did a whole "here's how to deal with the Gilmore Girls" lesson, and I hated that Max needed it. Some of those lessons where downright condescending, like talking about them being cranky, and their bits....

-Their eating habits are just the start of what you're gonna have to get used to. There's tons of stuff you should be aware of."

- "If you ever think that they're doing something crazy, they're not. You see, after a while, their thinking becomes clear, but by the time it's clear, they've already done two other totally crazy things that you can't figure out. So there's no catching up."

- "And never get into a heavy discussion late at night 'cause that's when they're at their crankiest."

• Love 3

We've talked many times about the unrealistic eating habits with regard to the fact that Lorelai and Rory don't exercise. Yes they walk everywhere in Stars Hollow but they seemed to live fairly close to their regular places. Instead of the magic of their metabolism I'd rather have seen them get regular exercise in a fun way. Lorelai loves dancing (enough to do that "annual" dance contest at least) and Miss Patty so they could have easily written her into the various dance classes at her studio and show that she often drags Rory along. They could have followed up on Rory learning the basics in golf from Richard by showing that she stayed with it. Then we wouldn't have to pretend that they're just so awesome that they never gain weight despite eating take out almost exclusively.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

We've talked many times about the unrealistic eating habits with regard to the fact that Lorelai and Rory don't exercise. Yes they walk everywhere in Stars Hollow but they seemed to live fairly close to their regular places. Instead of the magic of their metabolism I'd rather have seen them get regular exercise in a fun way. Lorelai loves dancing (enough to do that "annual" dance contest at least) and Miss Patty so they could have easily written her into the various dance classes at her studio and show that she often drags Rory along. They could have followed up on Rory learning the basics in golf from Richard by showing that she stayed with it. Then we wouldn't have to pretend that they're just so awesome that they never gain weight despite eating take out almost exclusively.

Exactly, it wouldn't have been that hard at all. Of course some people do have great metabolisms. My wife is one, the woman can just sneeze and burn off calories. However, she walks a lot, loves to bike ride. Does exercising at home and so forth. I've gotten into more fitness, of course I never ate like the Gilmores, even when I was in basketball. I don't get why shows can't insert a simple sentence with: "Good thing I'm doing that 5K Saturday." or like when Rory had the one athlete roommate at Yale. That Paris had to poke jokes about her football player boyfriend. I could see it as: "Hey Rory, ready to hit the track?" Rory: "I'm still recovering from the past three days of doing it. I can take a rest day." 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, readster said:

Exactly, it wouldn't have been that hard at all. Of course some people do have great metabolisms. My wife is one, the woman can just sneeze and burn off calories. However, she walks a lot, loves to bike ride. Does exercising at home and so forth. I've gotten into more fitness, of course I never ate like the Gilmores, even when I was in basketball. I don't get why shows can't insert a simple sentence with: "Good thing I'm doing that 5K Saturday." or like when Rory had the one athlete roommate at Yale. That Paris had to poke jokes about her football player boyfriend. I could see it as: "Hey Rory, ready to hit the track?" Rory: "I'm still recovering from the past three days of doing it. I can take a rest day." 

Not only don't they ever show them exercising but they're actively antagonistic about it. They hate it. So as anti continuity as the show is I don't think they could change that stance to showing them getting into any kind of fitness at all.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, readster said:

So was my dad until he hit 50 he ate as much or more then the Gilmore Girls and never gained anything. It drove my mom and me crazy we weren't that lucky. He ate three meals a day and six snacks and gained nothing. We ate twice a day and skipped snacks for months and somehow manage to gain weigh. Eat a candy bar or piece of pie once in six months and it went straight to the hips and legs.  When he turned 50 he finally started to gain weigh. Why I couldn't inherit those genes I don't know. 

But I am kind of surprised that Lorelai didn't sign up for the dance class at Miss Patty's that was mentioned. It seems like something she'd think was fun. 

58 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

So was my dad until he hit 50 he ate as much or more then the Gilmore Girls and never gained anything. It drove my mom and me crazy we weren't that lucky. He ate three meals a day and six snacks and gained nothing. We ate twice a day and skipped snacks for months and somehow manage to gain weigh. Eat a candy bar or piece of pie once in six months and it went straight to the hips and legs.  When he turned 50 he finally started to gain weigh. Why I couldn't inherit those genes I don't know. 

But I am kind of surprised that Lorelai didn't sign up for the dance class at Miss Patty's that was mentioned. It seems like something she'd think was fun. 

My husband is like that. My family used to laugh at him at any family dinner. We would all be in the living room having after dinner wine and catching up and he would still be at the table, working on thirds. And dessert? Sure he'll take two!

As for Miss Patty's dance class. I just don't see Lorelai sweatin' to the oldies.

• Love 1

LUKE: What is that?
LORELAI: It's my gym card.
LUKE: You joined a gym?
LORELAI: Yeah.
LUKE: When?
LORELAI: After I had Rory, to lose the pregnancy weight.
LUKE: Did you go?
LORELAI: God, no. I was way too fat. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I am struggling with some of the storylines this run through.  First, the basket episode where Jess begins his interference.  I know Dean has his issues but I don’t really like how Rory handled the whole thing.  She should have been a little more understanding with Dean.  

Next up, Sherry being so pushy to spend time with Rory.  I mean, she shows up with no warning ( or Chris warning them ) and needs time alone with a Rory for a whole night?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, alexa said:

I am struggling with some of the storylines this run through.  First, the basket episode where Jess begins his interference.  I know Dean has his issues but I don’t really like how Rory handled the whole thing.  She should have been a little more understanding with Dean.  

I don't either. She clearly wants to have lunch with Jess despite her claiming she didn't and trying to use the rules as an example. If she didn't want to go all she had to say was she didn't. She doesn't really get mad at Jess for bidding on her basket when she and Dean had already made plans nor when he admits he did it to tick Dean off and to get her alone. Who hears that and doesn't get mad? All she had to do was tell Jess to stop and he probably would have and left her alone. But she never does. Cause you know she's interested in him. 

Next up, Sherry being so pushy to spend time with Rory.  I mean, she shows up with no warning ( or Chris warning them ) and needs time alone with a Rory for a whole night?

That's another really weird one. Sherry was so pushy about spending time with Rory, seeing Rory and her books and everything. Calm down Sherry. How Rory didn't find her a little creepy I don't know. Insisting on spending Friday night with Rory on such short notice really kind of stink too. Why so sudden and that night? Weren't there going to be many other times for her to hang out with Rory? Rory was nice enough to go along but we also really don't get to see how or what Rory really thinks of Sherry. Does she like her? Think she's weird. Rory telling Lorelai later how seriously she was into having a kid was also kind of weird. She seemed really determined to have a kid and to be close to Rory. Not that it really mattered since Sherry basically dropped all interest in Rory except for in the hospital and that was probably more due to her friends all bailing on her. As far as we know Rory never attended their wedding. What did she see in Christopher? Did Sherry really believe Christopher was a good dad to Rory, did she ever put it together that he was only doing the phone calls and visit to impress Sherry? She had to realize at some point he never spent much time with Rory or sent any child support. It would have been nice to see Rory put that together and go off on Christopher.

Also from the episode Christopher of course is jerk twice. That horrible scene at the diner when he's so horrible Lorelai. But also when he and Lorelai are leaving to go to Friday night dinner Lorelai asks why he didn't tell her about Sherry. Rather then answering he points brings up her engagement to Max which he didn't know anything about until she called him from her bachelorette party as if those are the same thing. Lorelai of course doesn't point out that Christopher never keeps in touch with Lorelai or Rory months if not years go by without hearing from him and he didn't even bother to let either one know he moved to Boston and changed his number just a few months ago. I doubt that was the first time he did that. 

Emily's really not much better either flipping out over Sherry. How odd is it the best parts of the episode is the suicide debate and Lane's stalking Rory? 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I don't either. She clearly wants to have lunch with Jess despite her claiming she didn't and trying to use the rules as an example. If she didn't want to go all she had to say was she didn't. She doesn't really get mad at Jess for bidding on her basket when she and Dean had already made plans nor when he admits he did it to tick Dean off and to get her alone. Who hears that and doesn't get mad? All she had to do was tell Jess to stop and he probably would have and left her alone. But she never does. Cause you know she's interested in him. 

That's another really weird one. Sherry was so pushy about spending time with Rory, seeing Rory and her books and everything. Calm down Sherry. How Rory didn't find her a little creepy I don't know. Insisting on spending Friday night with Rory on such short notice really kind of stink too. Why so sudden and that night? Weren't there going to be many other times for her to hang out with Rory? Rory was nice enough to go along but we also really don't get to see how or what Rory really thinks of Sherry. Does she like her? Think she's weird. Rory telling Lorelai later how seriously she was into having a kid was also kind of weird. She seemed really determined to have a kid and to be close to Rory. Not that it really mattered since Sherry basically dropped all interest in Rory except for in the hospital and that was probably more due to her friends all bailing on her. As far as we know Rory never attended their wedding. What did she see in Christopher? Did Sherry really believe Christopher was a good dad to Rory, did she ever put it together that he was only doing the phone calls and visit to impress Sherry? She had to realize at some point he never spent much time with Rory or sent any child support. It would have been nice to see Rory put that together and go off on Christopher.

Also from the episode Christopher of course is jerk twice. That horrible scene at the diner when he's so horrible Lorelai. But also when he and Lorelai are leaving to go to Friday night dinner Lorelai asks why he didn't tell her about Sherry. Rather then answering he points brings up her engagement to Max which he didn't know anything about until she called him from her bachelorette party as if those are the same thing. Lorelai of course doesn't point out that Christopher never keeps in touch with Lorelai or Rory months if not years go by without hearing from him and he didn't even bother to let either one know he moved to Boston and changed his number just a few months ago. I doubt that was the first time he did that. 

Emily's really not much better either flipping out over Sherry. How odd is it the best parts of the episode is the suicide debate and Lane's stalking Rory? 

Yes to all of this.  Exactly how I felt about Rory....common sense would tell someone that they should be more understanding, but as we know Rory shows this trait many times over the years coming up as well.  So I have more of this to endure ahead!  lol

I was going to come back on and mention that Christopher scene at the end with Lorelai.  I had forgotten about that scene and then it happened, and I was like, no!  Stop!  Even if some of what he said made sense that he might feel that way about what she said, he handled it so terribly, as he always does.  Christopher is one of my toughest things to deal with in Gilmore Girls....he always comes around at just the wrong times, and makes everything so unsettled.  I have that to look forward to also... ugh.

I am glad you mentioned the funny moments because the other thing I wanted to add was Michel at the end running around an extra hour for that situation with Lane trying to get an item to her.  That cracked me up, and I needed that laugh yesterday.

• Love 3

Christopher is one of my toughest things to deal with in Gilmore Girls....he always comes around at just the wrong times, and makes everything so unsettled.

Agreed. In fact it's gotten to the point where if it's a Christophercentric episode I won't even watch it. Especially that gawd awful story line where they go Paris and get married.

• Love 3