Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

In Presenting Lorelai Gilmore there's a scene where Lorelai and Rory are at the kitchen table discussing what all Rory will need for the debutante ball. There's a cute little sight gag when Lorelai says, "You need a dowry, I guess" and sets a cow creamer in front of Rory.

The writitng for the characters got just so outlandish but the show was always good at cute little moments like that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, slf said:

The writitng for the characters got just so outlandish but the show was always good at cute little moments like that.

My favorite is from season 1 when Lorelai goes to Sookie's to borrow her car to tell Max she misses him. Sookie's distracted by Jackson banning her from the kitchen while he cooks dinner and Lorelai goes to sit down while waiting to have her attention. She moves a Polaroid camera from the chair and accidentally takes a picture of herself. Always gets me.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Well here's a pretty crazy little piece of trivia for you all - I had reason to look up a charming little independent film on imdb which my husband's cousin wrote the screenplay for, and realized that the main character was played by none other than the actor who plays Paul, the forgettable boyfriend in AYITL. So that puts me how many degrees of separation from GG?! Three, four?!

Fangirling just a little bit right now. 😍

Here's the imdb entry for the film, which I highly recommend btw. It was hilariously funny and very poignant at the same time.

Putzel

• Love 2

I'm watching the first 3 seasons:

Rory says "Oh, boy" in a quiet, my mother is nuts way in response to Lorelai about once an episode.

Jess says "Okay" in a VERY soft, I'm listening to you, and I'll do whatever you want way in response to Rory about once an episode.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

I can't *believe* how adorable Dave Rygalski is this time around.  He's the ultimate perfect dream guy.  Are there ANY flaws?  He's so wonderful.  This makes it hurt even more how badly Lane's life turned out.  She really found the perfect guy.  Dave's among my favourite characters now.   In love with Adam Brody now.  I have to find his (very few) movies.  He showed up on his wife's show "Single Parents" recently.  He was also in "Seeking a Friend for the end of the World" but I really didn't like that movie.  I guess I should also rewatch The O.C.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I can't *believe* how adorable Dave Rygalski is this time around.  He's the ultimate perfect dream guy.  Are there ANY flaws?  He's so wonderful.  This makes it hurt even more how badly Lane's life turned out.  She really found the perfect guy.  Dave's among my favourite characters now.   In love with Adam Brody now.  I have to find his (very few) movies.  He showed up on his wife's show "Single Parents" recently.  He was also in "Seeking a Friend for the end of the World" but I really didn't like that movie.  I guess I should also rewatch The O.C.

I never liked Zach and I could not understand why Lane went for him. He wasn't very bright, he was a jerk to Gil and he seemed to be very self involved.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I can't *believe* how adorable Dave Rygalski is this time around.  He's the ultimate perfect dream guy.  Are there ANY flaws?  He's so wonderful.  

To be honest, I'm kind of the opposite. I never liked Dave that much. I found him a bit annoying, and I really didn't like that he encouraged Lane to continue to lie to her mother about her life. Plus I'm a very strong believer (Christian, that is) and it always bothers me that he lies about being one just so he can be around Lane.

Like Zach or not, he was always upfront with Mrs. Kim about who he was and he earned her respect anyway. That means a lot to me. If I had to choose one of them to date my daughter, it would be Zach (after he matured out of his 'girls girls girls!' phase).

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

To be honest, I'm kind of the opposite. I never liked Dave that much. I found him a bit annoying, and I really didn't like that he encouraged Lane to continue to lie to her mother about her life. Plus I'm a very strong believer (Christian, that is) and it always bothers me that he lies about being one just so he can be around Lane.

Like Zach or not, he was always upfront with Mrs. Kim about who he was and he earned her respect anyway. That means a lot to me. If I had to choose one of them to date my daughter, it would be Zach (after he matured out of his 'girls girls girls!' phase).

Plus, girls girls girls, though he was, he honored Lane's wish to wait until marriage.  I had at least one guy (the one who admitted it) who broke up with me because we weren't having sex.    And, they're still married in the revival.  I'm not one of the ones who think that because of what happened on their honeymoon that they actually never had sex again.  I think that was short-lived and they were "at it" again shortly after Lane found out she was pregnant.  That was just a bump in the road that they didn't bother showing us getting cleared up because Lane's not a Gilmore.  There aren't a lot of guys that would be willing to be in a marriage for at least 10 years and possibly the rest of their lvies with no sex, and I don't think Zach is one of them.

As for Dave, I liked him well enough. I don't hold a non-Christian to a Christian standard.  Lying to her mom was Lane's idea, and although Dave is responsible for his own actions, it was her mother they were lying to and I would say mainly her choice.  But, again, she's not a Christian either. 

Then again, when Lane got married we see who she got her subterfuge from, and Mrs Kim IS a Christian, so she can't get too upset over Lane and Dave's lies.

• Love 2

Then again, when Lane got married we see who she got her subterfuge from, and Mrs Kim IS a Christian, so she can't get too upset over Lane and Dave's lies.

You mean the Buddhist wedding after Mrs. Kim's mom showed up? Yep, a long line of floorboard hiders. I think Zach really did love Lane but I just never thought he was good enough for Lane.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Then again, when Lane got married we see who she got her subterfuge from, and Mrs Kim IS a Christian, so she can't get too upset over Lane and Dave's lies.

Ha! Fair point. (TBH I tend to block that part of my otherwise beloved episode out because I don't buy for a minute Mrs. Kim would pretend to be Buddhist for her mother's sake. Sometimes the stuff done for comedic value on this show is just best ignored, heh.)

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Ha! Fair point. (TBH I tend to block that part of my otherwise beloved episode out because I don't buy for a minute Mrs. Kim would pretend to be Buddhist for her mother's sake. Sometimes the stuff done for comedic value on this show is just best ignored, heh.)

I don't know.  If Mrs Kim was raised as strictly as she raises Lane and she only sees her mother once every few years, I can see it.  But, I find it odd that her mother would come all the way from South (I assume) Korea and run off immediately following the ceremony. It's not like it's a hop, skip and a jump.  That is a very long flight and she is a very old woman and she would not be in a super hurry to repeat it.  She would want some rest in between.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I don't know.  If Mrs Kim was raised as strictly as she raises Lane and she only sees her mother once every few years, I can see it.  But, I find it odd that her mother would come all the way from South (I assume) Korea and run off immediately following the ceremony. It's not like it's a hop, skip and a jump.  That is a very long flight and she is a very old woman and she would not be in a super hurry to repeat it.  She would want some rest in between.

Yeah, I thought that was odd too. I can't imagine anyone old or young flying for something like 8 hours straight and then turning around, hopping on a plane and doing it allover again. 

6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, I thought that was odd too. I can't imagine anyone old or young flying for something like 8 hours straight and then turning around, hopping on a plane and doing it allover again. 

More like 13 to 15 hours, which makes it worse.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I can't *believe* how adorable Dave Rygalski is this time around.  He's the ultimate perfect dream guy.  Are there ANY flaws?  He's so wonderful.  This makes it hurt even more how badly Lane's life turned out.  She really found the perfect guy. 

DItto!

I have to wonder what would have unfolded had Adam Brody been available. He was smart, articulate, and caring.  Zach was a a moron in comparison.   Of course, that was the writing but Lane could have done so much better than him.  She always seemed like she had a lot of smarts.  He acted like an idiot most of the time.

• Love 5

I loved Dave. He was so cool and so great. He was perfect for Lane. I eventually warmed up to Zach but it wasn't easy. He was a jerk most of the time and a moron. He didn't break up with Lane after she realized she wanted to wait until marriage. Which I thought was actually great of him until they ruin it by Lane mentions he's telling people they are having sex and she's totally okay with it. Wow what a great guy. If he's okay with waiting he should be okay with not needing to tell people they are having sex. I hated how jealous he got because Brian wrote a song about Lane and ruined their chances with a label! I really thought they should have been over after that. He got jealous for no reason and ruined the band's chances. Plus there's is  when Lane asks him why he didn't write a song about her and he acts like a jerk about it and that its not his fault that nothing works with her name or her Korean name even though he managed to write one for Lorraine. Then he getting all upset at seeing Lane talking with a Korean boy. So you know he hasn't changed one bit. But then proposes her and she accepts. 

I like him going to talk to Mrs. Kim and her insisting he write a song because that's the job he wants. I liked that he didn't care about doing a Buddhist ceremony and loved his 'dress' and Mrs. Kim's reaction and telling her daughter he better make her happy. I liked him insisting Mrs. Kim hit him when they tell her Lane's pregnant and him filling in with Lane at Luke's. I liked him trying to bond with Luke and his freak out about being coming a father. 

• Love 7

I found another one:

Lorelai does the deadpan "What." reaction to someone (usually her mother) almost once an episode.  "What."  Said just like that, not "What?" in a questioning way.

Her father says he's going to start teaching:  "What."

Her mother says she's going to have dinner to re-meet Luke IMMEDIATELY:  "What."

etc.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

She really does. I know its not just Die, Jerk. But she spends the first part of the episode whining because Doyle doesn't immediately love her articles. At one point she even asks she's being hazed because it can't possibly be that Doyle was right.

The part that always got me was R&E's reaction to the article. "You crushed that girl, *chortle chortle*" The way they gloated over Rory eviscerating that poor ballerina. The when Mitchum tells Rory she doesn't "have it" Richard uses the exact same phrasing to lash out at him in the men's room at the 1940's fund raiser but this time he thinks it's horrific.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

The part that always got me was R&E's reaction to the article. "You crushed that girl, *chortle chortle*" The way they gloated over Rory eviscerating that poor ballerina. The when Mitchum tells Rory she doesn't "have it" Richard uses the exact same phrasing to lash out at him in the men's room at the 1940's fund raiser but this time he thinks it's horrific.

Me too. They were so happy and really enjoyed Rory eviscerating the ballerina hell Richard even says now she can do something else with her life. But of course when its Rory's turn suddenly their ticked off. Suddenly Mitchum crushed poor Rory. Hey Richard, he was just being honest like you really liked when Rory was being honest about the ballerina. Its interesting that Lorelai was the first one to point out how mean it was. Rory tried to insist she was just being honest Lorelai remarks that no one rights this mean except Rory. But when Rory said she was doing what Doyle told her to do Lorelai accepted it. She did think her own remark that ended up in the article was awful.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Me too. They were so happy and really enjoyed Rory eviscerating the ballerina hell Richard even says now she can do something else with her life. But of course when its Rory's turn suddenly their ticked off. Suddenly Mitchum crushed poor Rory. Hey Richard, he was just being honest like you really liked when Rory was being honest about the ballerina. Its interesting that Lorelai was the first one to point out how mean it was. Rory tried to insist she was just being honest Lorelai remarks that no one rights this mean except Rory. But when Rory said she was doing what Doyle told her to do Lorelai accepted it. She did think her own remark that ended up in the article was awful.

And then Rory goes running to Doyle and demands to write a different article. Yeah, she'd be a great war correspondent. "Oh dear, did I hurt that evil dictator's feels? Can I re-write my article?" Mitchum was right, she  didn't have the temperament or the guts. She would make a great assistant but she'd be a lousy journalist.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

And the Rory goes running to Doyle and demands to write a different article. Yeah, she'd be a great war correspondent. "Oh dear, did I hurt that evil dictator's feels? Can I re-write my article?" Mitchum was right, she  didn't have the temperament or the guts. She would make a great assistant but she'd be a lousy journalist.

He really was. She can't handle being chewed out by the ticked off person she wrote about. She thinks later it won't matter because people she writes about won't be living in her dorm. Except journalists get chewed out all time by people they wrote negatively about or simply didn't like the article.  War correspondent and those who cover politics generally tend to get the worse of it. Plus death threats. I have hard time seeing Rory interviewing anyone really questioning them. Like the end of series she goes to cover Obama. Can you really imagine her questioning? Asking him any hard questions? Or really anyone she interviews. Her only real big story at Yale seemed to be covering the Life and Death Brigade. But all she did was research Logan's family and then tell him she'd follow him all over the place. She didn't really dig into it. We never see her actually investigate anything. And before that story she wanted to cover the boring illegal downloading of music.  She was never going to be someone who chased stories or do what she had to get the story. She wanted to be a handed a story she liked, do research and write. But that's not how it works. 

Mitchum was right she'd make an excellent assistant. Also excellent at organizing fundraisers, editing, research and maybe teaching. 

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I still laugh at her questioning politicians in season three. One introducing her to another one to get away from Paris.

I know, that always kills me. The dude's almost desperate "Barbara?...." as she walks away leaving him with Paris has me rolling.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And Mitchum was approximately nine thousand times nicer to Rory than she was to the ballerina. Plus, he "crushed" her privately, not in a public article for all the East Coast to see.

....... Come to think of it, maybe he should have. Wouldn't THAT have been interesting to see. 😈

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

I know, that always kills me. The dude's almost desperate "Barbara?...." as she walks away leaving him with Paris has me rolling.

I love that one. Its so hilarious. And Paris later remarking to Rory that she's always running into the most interesting politicians just when they have to go the bathroom. I absolutely love that Paris doesn't make the connection. Its so Paris. Although part of me wondered if she had would she had gone into the bathrooms to keep talking to them? I can actually see her doing that.

And Mitchum was approximately nine thousand times nicer to Rory than she was to the ballerina. Plus, he "crushed" her privately, not in a public article for all the East Coast to see.

....... Come to think of it, maybe he should have. Wouldn't THAT have been interesting to see. 😈

He really was. As much as it would suck to be told by someone she admires she didn't have it. Mitchum was really nice about it and honest. He did talk to her privately. He wasn't mean or insulted her. While the poor ballerina had everyone reading it. It would follow her around. I do bet she was thrilled when she heard Rory dropped out of Yale.  One thing I do like even thought its just for a second when Lorelai asked Rory what he based it on. Asking if he read any of her stuff or talked to any of her teachers. It really is a good question. I realize Rory's too young to think afterwards that maybe go back and talk to him. Find out what he means. Mitchum did point out in the meeting when he brought up getting some of the interns doing stuff and Rory didn't say anything. Rory says she didn't know she should. She spent all her time researching Mitchum instead of finding out what her internship was. No matter how many times she's told she needs to do more Rory never does. She still thinks all she needs to do is be handed articles she wants to do, research and write. Not to mention acting completely unprofessional at the newspaper. 

Of course then Lorelai goes on the rant train that everyone gets on that Mitchum was a meanie. But Mitchum is right when he points out to Richard that Rory really had it she would have bounced back from it. How many people have gotten a bad review or assessment and that made them more determine to  be better? How many of Rory's favorite authors got rejected over and over? Rory gets one bad criticism. Which is correct. They've shown us time and again Rory doesn't have what it takes to be journalist. But one bad criticism. Steals a boat and quits Yale. Only one and she doesn't bounce back. Its really hard to feel sorry for her because up to that moment she's gotten everything she wanted. And she could have taken the summer or taking a break from college to really think about what she wants to do. Or stay in Yale and try different classes. Consider different majors. Or even deciding to be a better journalist. Instead she steals a boat, drops out of college, cuts off her mother and wastes months doing nothing except getting drunk and partying. Not that it matters since she ends up going back to Yale and everyone keeping Mitchum as the big meanie and was wrong.

• Love 7

I commented on this in one of the Revival threads the other day but I haven't been able to get it out of my mind, so I welcome a discussion about it --

In retrospect, do you think Rory's life would have turned out better if she had married Logan (or, well, gotten engaged at least) at the end of S7? I know "better" is a very relative term considering that she didn't seem to do much of anything with her life at all, so almost anything is better than that LOL, but in hindsight I really think she would have probably made a good richie rich corporate wife and that would have been a better move than trying to further a career she was obviously not that good at. (Possibly much to Lorelai's chagrin, but it's not Lorelai's life we're talking about, it's Rory's.)

And I'm not just looking at the fact that she was having a continued affair with Logan even while he was engaged to someone else, I consider that just another symptom of her failed adult life in general.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Taryn74 said:

I commented on this in one of the Revival threads the other day but I haven't been able to get it out of my mind, so I welcome a discussion about it --

In retrospect, do you think Rory's life would have turned out better if she had married Logan (or, well, gotten engaged at least) at the end of S7? I know "better" is a very relative term considering that she didn't seem to do much of anything with her life at all, so almost anything is better than that LOL, but in hindsight I really think she would have probably made a good richie rich corporate wife and that would have been a better move than trying to further a career she was obviously not that good at. (Possibly much to Lorelai's chagrin, but it's not Lorelai's life we're talking about, it's Rory's.)

And I'm not just looking at the fact that she was having a continued affair with Logan even while he was engaged to someone else, I consider that just another symptom of her failed adult life in general.

I don't think being married would have made her any more successful professionally.

As for her personal life, it's impossible to tell.  It depends on how much she was willing to work at the relationship.  Let's not forget that she doesn't have a great relationship role model in Lorelai or Christopher. Her grandparents had a fairly successful marriage, but with Lorelai's constant mocking of them, I'm not sure how much Rory would want to emulate them.  And, I doubt that is exactly the kind of marriage she would want anyway, with her taking care of Logan's needs while Logan goes out  and makes the money and leaves the child rearing and other domestic duties to her. 

• Love 1

That's an interesting question, but it's hard for me to judge what happened in Season 7, when the Pallidinos were not involved, with what happened in the revival. Rory getting the job to follow the Obama campaign seems like a fairly good 1st job to me. Then in the Revival, with the Pallidinos back in charge, we have failed Rory. I'm coming to believe that's what ASP intended from the beginning, but with Season 7 with new showrunners, we have Rory getting a pretty good gig.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Then in the Revival, with the Pallidinos back in charge, we have failed Rory. I'm coming to believe that's what ASP intended from the beginning....

I don't know if you feel this way or not (I certainly do), but there seems to be such a bizarre disconnect with how we're told via the characters we're supposed to see Rory, and who Rory actually is. Especially with how her character ends up by the time of the Revival. I can't think of how to word it well, but it's like I've spent 8 years (show-wise, almost 20 years IRL LOL) trying to figure out who ASP thinks Rory is and I still don't know. Does that make sense? 

Like, you say in the quote above that you believe ASP intended for Rory to basically be a failure at adult life from the beginning, yet for SEVEN. FREAKING. YEARS it's crammed down our throats that she's this amazing, wonderful, angelic creature whom we should borderline worship. And then in the Revival we get the rug pulled out from under us like HA HA HA SUCKERS! GOTCHA! Like, what are we supposed to be feeling here? About Rory and about life in general? 

I seriously don't get it.

• Love 6

I don't think Rory was shown as perfect all the time. I could list some things, but they could be plot driven, getting a D on a test, having to drop a class her freshman year. But the thing that sticks out to me is sleeping with married Dean, then running away to Europe with her grandmother. When she gets back she finds her classmates did productive things while she was galivanting around Europe. That's not the decisions or actions of a perfect person. Those were some bad decisions. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

I don't know if you feel this way or not (I certainly do), but there seems to be such a bizarre disconnect with how we're told via the characters we're supposed to see Rory, and who Rory actually is. Especially with how her character ends up by the time of the Revival. I can't think of how to word it well, but it's like I've spent 8 years (show-wise, almost 20 years IRL LOL) trying to figure out who ASP thinks Rory is and I still don't know. Does that make sense? 

Like, you say in the quote above that you believe ASP intended for Rory to basically be a failure at adult life from the beginning, yet for SEVEN. FREAKING. YEARS it's crammed down our throats that she's this amazing, wonderful, angelic creature whom we should borderline worship. And then in the Revival we get the rug pulled out from under us like HA HA HA SUCKERS! GOTCHA! Like, what are we supposed to be feeling here? About Rory and about life in general? 

I seriously don't get it.

You know I have that with just the series not adding in the Revival. High school Rory seemed more grounded, hardworking, empathy and over came obstacles. She got a D but when she claimed down at the end of the episode recognized she hadn't caught up yet. She later did finishing pretty high that year. Turning the parking lot paving story into a really moving story. I could see that Rory possibly being an journalist. She was shy but mostly a good kid. An introvert. I don't like her mooning over Jess while still with Dean. She had flaws but seemed like flaws that could be over come. 

Yale Rory is just so completely different. She whines non-stop over Doyle not liking her articles and at one point asks if he's hazing her. She sleeps with a married Dean and its not even because she's still in love with him or anything but because she had a lackluster year. She repeats her pattern of falling for someone while still with Dean. Why does she like Logan? He's a jerk at first. While I could see some interest after the L&D party, all they end up doing is drinking sometimes with a party but usually. That's fun? Hanging out with Colin and Finn are fun?  That's what Rory wants to do? She gets one bad critique (which actually was correct to everyone outside Gilmore Girls) so she steals a boat and quits Yale. Not even to do any real soul searching but more drinking with Logan and his friends and throwing parties for the DAR. Is that what she wants to do? There's nothing wrong with DAR or drinking and parties but that never seemed like Rory. She's so different at Yale. She's a spoiled brat who can't handle one criticism, who has a ton of flaws, that never get addressed along with her mistakes. She keeps acting and everyone around her acts like she's this perfect flawless angelic person. Yale Rory I have absolutely no idea what she wants or where she's going. I can't imagine her working hard at anything that disappears, she has zero drive and she never even thinks about going for editor of the Yale newspaper not that it matters because it gets handed to her. Rory complains about being behind in season five because everyone else was doing internships and stuff. But we never see her go out for a single one or even try. The only internship she ends up doing she gets handed to by Mitchum and that was to make up for that dinner. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

She's so different at Yale. She's a spoiled brat who can't handle one criticism, who has a ton of flaws, that never get addressed along with her mistakes. She keeps acting and everyone around her acts like she's this perfect flawless angelic person. Yale Rory I have absolutely no idea what she wants or where she's going.

Exactly! I have no problem with Rory floundering for a while, because that's part of growing up and becoming an actual functioning part of society as an adult (even if it drives the people who love you mad for a while, heh) but for Rory to still be stuck in that whiny spoiled brat pattern in her 30's and nobody seems to care.......WTF, ASP?! I just seriously don't know what you want us to get out of this?

• Love 5

Probably unintentional, but Rory does have a coherent character arc.

High school : big fish, small pond.

Yale : mediocre fish, medium-sized pond.

Adult, working world : small fish, big pond.

• Love 11

Random complaint for the day - 

Why did Nicole and her parents have such a bizarre overreaction re: Luke's somewhat mild rant about Jess skipping school to work more hours at Walmart in HBB? I mean, yeah his rant was out of the blue and didn't make much sense, but they acted like he jumped up and starting throwing furniture around or something. Geez, people.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Is it just me or does it seem like Lorelei suffers from some kinda bipolar mania ? 

I don't think she's bipolar, I think she's over caffeinated, insecure and filterless. She's bad with boundaries but overall I think she's kind.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't think she's bipolar, I think she's over caffeinated, insecure and filterless. She's bad with boundaries but overall I think she's kind.

To me she has shown manic episodes... just my opinion of course but she definitely had one with max and then when she wanted to flee to Hawaii. The marry me Luke episode was super manic.  she makes rash decisions out of nowhere etc etc you can be manic and bipolar and still be a kind person no doubt. The only reason I draw these parallels is because I grew up with someone similar who does have a manic bipolar disorder and her actions totally give me flashbacks. She is definitely emotionally stunted watching this show tho. Has a fake mother she is tolerable but if she was a real person good god she would be more of a hindrance to her daughter then a good time and would explain Rorys ridged list making need for control and rules and her super obsession with structure (which I totally have myself) especially dealing with the uncertainty and swings of her mother’s actions.  Growing up around someone similar I can assure you in real life Rory would have had a shit ton of issues to deal with as an adult having grown up with a undiagnosed unmedicated parent and would explain her in the year in the life revival. (Which ugh don’t get me started) 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 2

Except that Lorelai didn't have any depressive episodes.  She was certainly manic at times but, except for the time she wallowed in bed after the vow renewal breakup, she never really seemed to have any down periods.

• Love 4

My bad there is definitely a condition called Unipolar mania .......Unipolar mania by definition occurs without depression and you just have manic episodes without the crash of depression but again this being a fake character she wouldn’t have to be shown having the depression she definitely was shown in manic fits  

Edited by Keywestclubkid

Lorelai doean't strike me as having bipolar disorder. She loves attention and more often than not tries to be the center of everyone's, and as @peacheslatour pointed out Lorelai has no filter, is bad with boundaries, and is insecure so she tends to overcompensate.

If ASP reveals that Lorelai is neuroatypical then I'd expect something like ADHD.

Edited by slf
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I in no way am saying or think I’m 100% right just throwing it out there what I’ve watched. Love having a healthy debate 🙂 

I can see why she'd strike you as manic, tho. She's hyper a lot of the time and can be quite brash and impulsive (with a tendency to assign things greater importance than they actually have).

• Love 2

Yes. It's on Netflix! I've been having a marathon of my own. 

And here's something I didn't notice before - Lane talking about going to movie night in the square. Would her mother really let her go to that? It didn't sound like she was going WITH Mrs. Kim. 

10 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Yes. It's on Netflix! I've been having a marathon of my own. 

And here's something I didn't notice before - Lane talking about going to movie night in the square. Would her mother really let her go to that? It didn't sound like she was going WITH Mrs. Kim. 

Or be a cheerleader in a short skirt.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

Yup. Mrs. Kim is one of my favourite characters. But I do feel the writers were a bit inconsistent in how they wrote her parenting.

Honestly, I think there was supposed to be a disconnect there. If you really pay attention, Mrs. Kim's ridiculously unrelenting strictness was when we saw her parenting through Lane's eyes. When we saw her parenting firsthand, she was strict but she wasn't unreasonable. Does that make sense? I think Lane's perceptions of what she was "missing out on" colored her assumptions of what she thought her mom would and would not allow, more than what Mrs. Kim would actually do in any given situation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Honestly, I think there was supposed to be a disconnect there. If you really pay attention, Mrs. Kim's ridiculously unrelenting strictness was when we saw her parenting through Lane's eyes. When we saw her parenting firsthand, she was strict but she wasn't unreasonable. Does that make sense? I think Lane's perceptions of what she was "missing out on" colored her assumptions of what she thought her mom would and would not allow, more than what Mrs. Kim would actually do in any given situation.

That is quite possible. I never thought of it that way. I'm going to have to pay more attention to that!

• Love 1