Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

I am 100% Team Sookie on the whole "You're in a restaurant!  Order FOOD!!"  Her point to Borman [sic] Mailer was valid: How'd you like it if I read your stuff in a bookstore without buying it?

A one-off 5-hour tea marathon...eh, ok (You better leave the wait staff twenty bucks).  After that: find a coffee shop or rent a room @ the inn.

• Love 4

I discovered Gilmore Girls by accident in 2004 while channel surfing on a business trip. I was immediately hooked. I've watched every episode more times than I can count. I used to watch reruns every day, but stopped a few year ago. Yesterday I was looking for something to watch, and turned on the Vineyard Valentine episode. I was struck by how stupid Luke was written. Why did ASP turn him into a moron on Season 6? All revenge for not getting 2 more seasons? Idiot.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Yesterday I was looking for something to watch, and turned on the Vineyard Valentine episode.

I'm sorry.

43 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I was struck by how stupid Luke was written. Why did ASP turn him into a moron on Season 6? All revenge for not getting 2 more seasons?

SO frustrating.  I hate AVV with undying passion.  It's the worst of the worst for Luke IMO.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, tarotx said:

It was just Luke's turn to be trashed. Amy and Dan don't respect their characters. They love them but they will bend them and Flanderized them and whatever to tell some plot point. 

Yeah. I haven’t seen Amy’s new show that won all the Emmys two weeks ago but it’s odd what I read online about how she’s so great and Gilmore Girls was always overlooked.

i mean yes it was but there were more often times when Gilmore Girls wasn’t good and the characters were written terribly. Considering her last season when she was mad and angry and destroyed almost every character  all for her vendetta because she was mad. 

• Love 7
On 9/28/2018 at 5:02 PM, Taryn74 said:

SO frustrating.  I hate AVV with undying passion.  It's the worst of the worst for Luke IMO.

Actually, it's super concentrated Luke, which is very telling and why I don't like him as a person (though I enjoy his character) at all.  There is nothing inconsistent with his character in that episode; it's just all smooshed together so you can see it more clearly.

Crabby Luke is a lot easier to like when he's peddling one-liners for seconds in the diner.  This is extended play Luke and you see the negativity wears thin.  I know people who are exactly like this and only amusing in small doses.

Edited by stan4
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah. I haven’t seen Amy’s new show that won all the Emmys two weeks ago but it’s odd what I read online about how she’s so great and Gilmore Girls was always overlooked.

i mean yes it was but there were more often times when Gilmore Girls wasn’t good and the characters were written terribly. Considering her last season when she was mad and angry and destroyed almost every character  all for her vendetta because she was mad. 

I haven't either for the same reasons. Yeah, I've heard how great it is and the awards its won. But I remember how she trashed her last season and how much I hated the revival. I don't want to get invested in another one of her shows for that to happen again. 

• Love 7
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I just saw the one where Lorelai demanded that Luke just go with her and elope RIGHT NOW! And when he couldn't just drop everything and go RIGHT FUCKING NOW! she ran off and hopped into bed with Christopher. Fuck Season 6, go home, you're drunk.

Peaches, a big hug for you. 

We’ve all been there and many of us share your feelings. And “go home, you’re drunk” is a great observation. :) 

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I haven't either for the same reasons. Yeah, I've heard how great it is and the awards its won. But I remember how she trashed her last season and how much I hated the revival. I don't want to get invested in another one of her shows for that to happen again. 

I saw a couple of episodes but I don’t enjoy vulgar humor. It’s my impression that this female character represents ASP more than Lorelai Gilmore ever did. No interest at all to watch more.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I ain't supporting that sanctimonious, smug psycho.

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, stan4 said:

I ain't supporting that sanctimonious, smug psycho.

I had no idea until the Emmy's that that was ASP's show. Then she won twice in a row and I went "ugh, great."

I'll forever dislike her for what she did in season six. I've heard how great the show is too, but like Andromeda said, I will not let myself get attached to another ASP creation.

• Love 5

I always have problems with people who proclaim themselves "quirky".  Because usually, well, they are not.  The whole Cat in the Hat thing just screams "Look at me, I am so artistic".

asp.jpg

• Love 10

Quirky = unprofessional, rude, etc.

The final nail in the coffin for me was when she admitted to not watching season 7 while writing the revival. My god, woman. I wouldn't be above giving her a second chance if she had an ounce of humility and admitted that the end of season six was her petty way of getting back at the network and using the fans to do so.

The worst part was that there was actually growth at the end of the seventh season for the characters, albeit with a need (and room) for more, and it was ignored. Le sigh. Although, who knows. The more you watch, the glaring lack of consistency/continuity in seasons 1-6 jump out at you like whoa. 

That being said, I still feel like Gilmore Girls is a sort of comfort blanket show to watch, and it's why I'm still bitter at certain storylines and the way certain characters were written. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, JaggedLilPill said:

The final nail in the coffin for me was when she admitted to not watching season 7 while writing the revival. My god, woman. 

The worst part was that there was actually growth at the end of the seventh season for the characters, albeit with a need (and room) for more, and it was ignored.

Exactly.  In all honesty, I don't know if I would have watched the Revival at all if the original show had ended after the misery that is S6.  (Oh who am I kidding, I would have at least checked it out. #iamweak)  But S7 leaving me at least somewhat hopeful for these characters, only to have my hopes completely dashed by the trainwreck Revival, just made it hurt all the more.

2 hours ago, JaggedLilPill said:

That being said, I still feel like Gilmore Girls is a sort of comfort blanket show to watch, and it's why I'm still bitter at certain storylines and the way certain characters were written. 

I agree.

• Love 6

I enjoyed so much of the fast paced dialogue. I think Lauren Graham did a great job playing Lorelai. And Kelly Bishop always knocked her Emily character out of the park. In fact, Kelly was the one bright spot in the revival.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I always have problems with people who proclaim themselves "quirky".  Because usually, well, they are not.  The whole Cat in the Hat thing just screams "Look at me, I am so artistic".

asp.jpg

Amen, sister friend! When I saw her on the reunion panel I was put off by her demeanor right away; her body language and smart ass mouth was not impressive. Towards the end of the Q&A portion a youth ask LG a question and ASP piped in. The boy sharply said he that he didn’t ask her. I applauded him! Also, her FU to Ed Herman for dying showed what a class act she is... NOT!

Edited by FictionLover
  • Love 8

I really love on this show how Reverend Skinner and the Rabbi got along so well. It would have been easy to have them not get along. But they share the same church building, agree together against Taylor trying to ban the protestor from using the church, and go on walks together. Seem like really good friends.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 13
36 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

During the reunion panel they were speaking about EH death. She said F$&@ you Ed for dying. 

I took that comment as being said with a great deal of sarcasm, not sincerely meaning it.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I took that comment as being said with a great deal of sarcasm, not sincerely meaning it.

I'm sure it was.  Still inappropriate and disrespectful to his family.

• Love 8

I saw a GG video about Rory and Jess recently, which reminded me of how OTT Lorelai can be in her love for Luke and Rory and desire to shred anyone who says an unkind word to/about them. 

She got in Jess's face, saying "Rory has moved on and she is VERY happy" in attempt to hurt him, when she was telling him off in public for hurting Luke's feelings (which resulted in Luke getting drunk, and cutting himself while doing a task at Lorelai's house).  She had to know going off on Jess - a hurting and troubled young man - wasn't going to accomplish anything. She only did it to get revenge on Jess because she was furious in the moment.  She had not matured as a person, despite the passage of time and Jess's absence from Stars Hollow. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It's so weird to me that they had Sherilyn Fenn play both April's  mother and Jess' stepmother.

Boy, she really gets around.  No wonder that family is so messed up.  I wonder what she did with April when she was out living in Cali with Jess's father:)

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It's so weird to me that they had Sherilyn Fenn play both April's  mother and Jess' stepmother.

Considering "Here Comes the Son" was Amy back dooring a Pilot for a show starring Jess, it doesn't surprise me. ASP most likely wanted to use Fenn if that show had been picked up.

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Considering "Here Comes the Son" was Amy back dooring a Pilot for a show starring Jess, it doesn't surprise me. ASP most likely wanted to use Fenn if that show had been picked up.

Here's a question for that pilot. Did anyone like it or find it interesting? I'm not a Jess fan so I maybe that's why but I watched it case it was good because I liked Gilmore Girls and maybe it would be good too but pilot is just so boring and uninteresting to me. The Gilmore Girls pilot while not the best pilot. The opening scene with the song and then Lorelai begging Luke for coffee and what would become his typical response to coffee and their eating habits. Rory's excitement to going to Chilton, Lane, Michel, difficult relationship between Lorelai and her parents, Lorelai's Flo Jo remark after learning about the boy from Miss Patty. There was a lot of stuff that made me interested or grabbed me. There was none of that in Here Comes the Son.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Here's a question for that pilot. Did anyone like it or find it interesting?

I liked it, but then again I'm an unabashed Jess fan.  I liked SF in the role of Sasha, too.  (Not so much Anna later LOL)

• Love 2
14 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Here's a question for that pilot. Did anyone like it or find it interesting? I'm not a Jess fan so I maybe that's why but I watched it case it was good because I liked Gilmore Girls and maybe it would be good too but pilot is just so boring and uninteresting to me. The Gilmore Girls pilot while not the best pilot. The opening scene with the song and then Lorelai begging Luke for coffee and what would become his typical response to coffee and their eating habits. Rory's excitement to going to Chilton, Lane, Michel, difficult relationship between Lorelai and her parents, Lorelai's Flo Jo remark after learning about the boy from Miss Patty. There was a lot of stuff that made me interested or grabbed me. There was none of that in Here Comes the Son.

I'm a HUGE Jess fan. And I hated it. It's on level with the Chris episodes in season 7 - meaning I struggle to watch it. I like the Jess character as a side character on this show and I think there's a lot of compelling stuff there. I get him and have a lot of empathy for him. But an entire series of him sad-sacking around? Pass. There was more to it than that. I didn't like anything about his scenes out in CA. 

• Love 4

I never minded Jess and his whole plot on GG, but the backdoor pilot didn't work for me because it seemed like it was going to tell exactly the same story we had already seen: Jess, the surly, cynical, leather-jacketed teenager, goes to live in a new place where people are cheerful and wacky! The only change was the setting - California swapped for Stars Hollow.  I liked Fenn as the would-be stepmother, but again the sameness problem rears its head: she was too similar to Liz.  They were just swapping one hippy dippy mother figure for another. Same thing with Jess's dad: they were basically swapping him in as the Luke figure - emotionally exasperated and hey, he even owns a restaurant with his fancy hot dog stand or whatever.  It was like the ASP version of the endless spinoffs of Law & Order.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Eeksquire said:

I never minded Jess and his whole plot on GG, but the backdoor pilot didn't work for me because it seemed like it was going to tell exactly the same story we had already seen: Jess, the surly, cynical, leather-jacketed teenager, goes to live in a new place where people are cheerful and wacky! The only change was the setting - California swapped for Stars Hollow.  I liked Fenn as the would-be stepmother, but again the sameness problem rears its head: she was too similar to Liz.  They were just swapping one hippy dippy mother figure for another. Same thing with Jess's dad: they were basically swapping him in as the Luke figure - emotionally exasperated and hey, he even owns a restaurant with his fancy hot dog stand or whatever.  It was like the ASP version of the endless spinoffs of Law & Order.

I noticed the sameness, but didn't correlate Sasha with Liz. I saw it more as another story with a cool single mom (Lorelai), raising a smart daughter (Rory), and there's some questionable cumbum dude in their lives (Christopher). It wasn't exactly the same, of course, but there was definitely a theme there. And it's a bit tiresome. 

• Love 4
On 9/30/2018 at 1:10 PM, andromeda331 said:

I tried to watch it--you are not missing anything in my opinion.  I watched a couple of episodes and I found it very slow and I just didn't get the accolades it is getting.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, alexa said:

I tried to watch it--you are not missing anything in my opinion.  I watched a couple of episodes and I found it very slow and I just didn't get the accolades it is getting.

I watched 2 plus a bit episodes, then skipped ahead to see if it got better. It did not. 

Where it grated most with me was the main character wasn’t sympathetic at all and I frankly didn’t care for her behaviors. To top it off, the character played by Alex Borstein made me wonder what anyone sees in her supposed talent, and that I am VERY VERY grateful for the Sookie we had. Melissa McCarthy brought such sweetness and her budding physical comedy skills were so far above from anything I’d seen Borstein do.

• Love 4

Watching a Deep Fried Korean Thanksgiving during the UP marathon I always liked how when Lorelai and Rory go into the area at Lane's where everyone is gathered that Lorelai immediately starts saying hi to each of the guests. It just really seems so natural like she probably sees them every time they go to the Kims for Thanksgiving and/or probably while Lane was growing up. She complements one on her hair. Its just really nice and feels natural.

• Love 7

I wish we had gotten to see Mrs. Kim and Emily talk more. Seeing  how they both were so similar and had similar problems with their daughters. Raising their daughters in their upbringing that they thought was the right way and both believed in and wanted their daughters to be Seventh Day Adventist and upper crust world. Both having difficult relationships with their daughters. I wonder if Emily would have liked to talk to someone who felt the same way but also similar problems with her daughter. Both had periods of time they were estrange from their daughters. Or maybe later seeing Lane and Mrs. Kim together and surprised to learn they had such a difficult relationship. It would have been interesting to see the two talking more.  

• Love 4

So watching the marathon on UP and yeah while the last season is painful, it seems like certain parts of it had to happen, because of how season 6 ended.

Like considering how season 6s finale went down, Lorelei and Luke had to break up. Luke was being written awful in season 6 with the way he was (not) handling April and Lorelei, and Lorelei at the end of season 6 slept with Christopher. That was going to be addressed in season 7. No they didn’t have to get married but the last couple episodes of season 6 were proceeding to some sort of a relationship between the two and that had to be addressed somewhere and somehow.

Its a bad season, I agree but a lot of what made it awful is as we said the original creators fault. She left a big mess and unfortunately the writers that were still there had to come up with stories based on what they were left with. 

And that brings me to the revival.. and makes me think that the genius that ASP gets called isn’t true. The first couple seasons of GG were great but season 6, especially as I said the last few episodes weren’t because as we now know she was angry about the things that went down bts and was essentially ruining stories because of it.

Its why if I I even find myself watching season 7 episodes I always feel for the writers because what could they do here. 

• Love 4

Watching Like Mother Like Daughter I love that Emily really ends up getting really into the fashion show during her and Lorelai's walk. Its really unexpected from her. But she looked like she was having fun. Lorelai looked surprised to see her mother having fun and then seemed to get into it because Emily was. I also like at the FND when Emily about to get on Lorelai who simply asks her to hold while she takes off her coat, sits down and grabs her napkin before telling her mother continued.   

• Love 7
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Watching Like Mother Like Daughter I love that Emily really ends up getting really into the fashion show during her and Lorelai's walk. Its really unexpected from her. But she looked like she was having fun. Lorelai looked surprised to see her mother having fun and then seemed to get into it because Emily was. I also like at the FND when Emily about to get on Lorelai who simply asks her to hold while she takes off her coat, sits down and grabs her napkin before telling her mother continued.   

There are so many times that Kelly Bishop just knocks it out of the park. ASP lucked out on getting some great actors.

• Love 7
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, BlancheDevoreaux said:

So true. Kelly Bishop brought a complexity to Emily that not many actresses could have. 

She really did. As much as I dislike Emily we saw different sides of her. Her fear when Trix offers Lorelai money for Rory's school wasn't about control but the fear that her daughter would never come back if she got the money. The hurt when Sookie called to invite her to Lorelai's wedding shower (not knowing that Lorelai hadn't told them) and gone to tell Richard to apologize to Rory about his behavior towards Dean. She wanted to make sure Rory told them when she'd getting married. Other sides too like her confusion when Lorelai stopped by to 'hang' with her I do wish she had taken Lorelai up on her offer when she needed someone to talk to and Lorelai buying her the DVD player. Her unexpectedly having fun at the fashion show and being unexpectedly nice to Lorelai when her dance partner bails offering to let her make her asparagus talk and commenting that at least it was nice that Stanley thought she looked like Elizabeth Taylor. 

• Love 4
On 12/4/2018 at 10:25 AM, chessiegal said:

There are so many times that Kelly Bishop just knocks it out of the park. ASP lucked out on getting some great actors.

There was a vulnerability in the early seasons that the character lacked in later seasons. It takes nothing away from Bishops talent, I just liked Emily better in the first 3 seasons. 

• Love 4

Watching Ballroom and Biscottis I really wish we had gotten to see Lorelai's and Rory's trip to Europe. It was something they had been planning for years and listen to them talk about their trip made me wish we had gotten to see it. The different countries, Rory's excitement at seeing places where famous authors lived, seeing Paris, and stalking Bono. It could have been a really fun episode or two.

And of all the people that Lorelai and Rory didn’t see, I.e. their parents friends, I can’t believe they didn’t go to see Emily’s sister in Paris. Not that Richard and Emily have ever referred to her after identifying her in Lorelai’s photo book. That was a character I would have loved to have seen.

• Love 1