Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

"Comic relief" characters presented a problem in tone for ASP, but Sookie especially so. One moment we're supposed to take her seriously, the next moment she's a cartoon.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, clack said:

"Comic relief" characters presented a problem in tone for ASP, but Sookie especially so. One moment we're supposed to take her seriously, the next moment she's a cartoon.

I feel like Michel and Kirk were done rather well.  I also feel the same about Mrs Kim, Patty, and Babette.  But they are pretty much comic relief (you can argue Mrs Kim was not, but she always cracked me up bc I'm of asian descent).

I think the problem with Sookie was trying to make her a serious character and comic relief.

18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I never really got why Lorelai and Sookie were even friends. Lorelai is super quick witted and Sookie is, well...a bit slow to put it mildly.

Lots of times you make friends at work bc of all the time you spend together and for all they don't have in common, Sookie was very kind-hearted (especially to Rory).

I can see younger Lorelai hooking up with her bc she would be supportive and helpful.  Most of her friends were people who helped her rather than the other way around.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I never really got why Lorelai and Sookie were even friends. Lorelai is super quick witted and Sookie is, well...a bit slow to put it mildly.

Over the years I've had lots of friends that are very different than me, either in personality, interests, intellect, etc.  My rule is as long as you're not a jerk, you can be my friend.  And I'm not too strict about that jerk rule.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Over the years I've had lots of friends that are very different than me, either in personality, interests, intellect, etc.  My rule is as long as you're not a jerk, you can be my friend.  And I'm not too strict about that jerk rule.

As have I but it seems like Lorelai, who practically made a career of mocking people would not have had the patience to have a friend that if it had been anyone else, Lorelai would be rolling her eyes at and making fun of. stan4 is right though Lorelai had a tendency to take what she could get from people. She did babysit for Sookie and Jackson that one time so I guess that squares everything.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

As have I but it seems like Lorelai, who practically made a career of mocking people would not have had the patience to have a friend that if it had been anyone else, Lorelai would be rolling her eyes at and making fun of. stan4 is right though Lorelai had a tendency to take what she could get from people. She did babysit for Sookie and Jackson that one time so I guess that squares everything.

That's true.  I was just thinking in general.  Lorelai definitely has her prejudices.  But, I wouldn't say she never does anything for other people.  She did do most/all of the work opening up their inn and let Sookie slide.  I can't remember if they ever actually did it, but before it got messed up she was going to paint Luke's diner with him.  That's a pretty big project.  She helped Michel get little Davey out from under the bed.  Which was stupid.  If Davey fit under there, so would Michel's arm.  She let Lane and the band use the garage to practice in and they actually had to clean it out since they had apparently been using it as a dump. 

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That's true.  I was just thinking in general.  Lorelai definitely has her prejudices.  But, I wouldn't say she never does anything for other people.  She did do most/all of the work opening up their inn and let Sookie slide.  I can't remember if they ever actually did it, but before it got messed up she was going to paint Luke's diner with him.  That's a pretty big project.  She helped Michel get little Davey out from under the bed.  Which was stupid.  If Davey fit under there, so would Michel's arm.  She let Lane and the band use the garage to practice in and they actually had to clean it out since they had apparently been using it as a dump. 

I agree. Lorelai has done several things for various people (even trying with her parents), but the balance sheet skews towards most people doing stuff for her.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I guess, she could be a good friend at times but her relationship with Sookie baffles me sometimes. Right now I'm watching the episode where Luke is selling his dad's boat. Wasn't there a fight he had with Lorelai about selling the boat? He has a fixation on the boat like if he sells it he will lose his father completely. It's both sad and maddening because his reasoning was so out there.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

He has a fixation on the boat like if he sells it he will lose his father completely. It's both sad and maddening because his reasoning was so out there.

Oh, I don't know about out there.  I have some things from my parents that would gut me if I lost them.  It would be like losing a part of them even though they are not things I use on a regular basis.  Sentimental value, I guess. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Oh, I don't know about out there.  I have some things from my parents that would gut me if I lost them.  It would be like losing a part of them even though they are not things I use on a regular basis.  Sentimental value, I guess. 

Oh, I know a lot of people are that way. I respect that. I just don't care about things too much.  Although there is one thing, when my mom died I got all of her jewelry except for the only thing I wanted, her charm bracelet. She had been collecting charms for it since college. It had charms representing her travels, family and her two business's she owned. It was all I wanted but she hid it right before she died and never got around to telling anyone where it was. My dad and I searched the whole house but we never found it.  It's funny because my mom always said "never cry over anything that can't cry over you." Not meaning pets because of course they grieve but actual things. 

4 hours ago, stan4 said:

I agree. Lorelai has done several things for various people (even trying with her parents), but the balance sheet skews towards most people doing stuff for her.

I think that's partly because the show is called Gilmore Girls. We're seeing what is going on in their lives, not most of the townspeople, so, of course, they're going to be the ones getting the help on things that we are actually seeing.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Me too. Most of the house is filled with stuff that belonged to relatives. The Grandfather and Grandmother clock my great-grandfather made he was so good at building things. We have his smaller clocks and things. We have his guitars, violin and other things which none of us play but it would feel so weird to get rid of it or sell it. I have my grandmother's cedar chest (aka hope chest) filled with her things along with my great-grandmother's, my parents' bedroom furniture is my grandmother's bedroom furniture. Its just really hard to let any of it go. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Katy M said:

So have I. I've had friends that are so completely different from me. Some that were older or younger. It doesn't really matter unless their jerks. That's make them more interesting and cool.  

• Love 1

In Lorelai's defense, when she came to babysit Davey and Martha that one episode, it seemed like it wasn't the first time. She was completely comfortable with the kids, had brought the magic socks that Sookie and Jackson didn't know about. It seemed like she had a relationship with them, outside of Sookie and Jackson.

I just think that in a show you sin't get everything about everyone, just the important moments, and the one driving the story forward. It doesn't mean there isn't a world out there where Lorelai babysits on the regular or helps out her friend whenever they need her...

• Love 4
9 hours ago, marineg said:

In Lorelai's defense, when she came to babysit Davey and Martha that one episode, it seemed like it wasn't the first time. She was completely comfortable with the kids, had brought the magic socks that Sookie and Jackson didn't know about. It seemed like she had a relationship with them, outside of Sookie and Jackson.

I just think that in a show you sin't get everything about everyone, just the important moments, and the one driving the story forward. It doesn't mean there isn't a world out there where Lorelai babysits on the regular or helps out her friend whenever they need her...

She really did seem comfortable. It was really cute especially Lorelai and Davey. I kind of wish they had shown just a little more just because it was so cute and it kind of makes sense that Lorelai babysat them and they would be comfortable around each other since they probably saw each other all the time. 

• Love 1

I also thought it was telling that in Cinnamon’s Wake, when Babette and Maury we’re grieving, they sent for Lorelai and Rory. It spoke that they do things to comfort others. 

2 hours ago, deaja said:

I also thought it was telling that in Cinnamon’s Wake, when Babette and Maury we’re grieving, they sent for Lorelai and Rory. It spoke that they do things to comfort others. 

They made so many of the main players incompetent at organizing (besides Taylor and Mrs Kim, neither of whom would be particularly comforting), I can see why they thought of Lorelai.  She has the skillz.

• Love 1
On 4/24/2018 at 3:53 PM, greekmom said:

Rewatched S1 episode: "Christopher Returns" when Rory meets Straub and Francine.  I loved the way Richard and Emily stood up for Lorelai and Rory (even if it was for their own reasons).  But I can't believe that Straub and Francine are so cold to their only granddaughter at the time. And then later on are more attentive to Gigi (to the point which Francine would accept to watch her).

I also didn't understand how Lorelai "ruined" Christopher's life.  Lorelai refused Christopher's marriage when they were 16.  She basically cleared him of any responsibility of Rory.  Christopher could have had whatever future Straub wanted for him including Princeton if Christopher wanted it.  Lorelai had nothing to do with that.

I agree, and I feel the same way about Rory turning Logan down. Earlier on, elsewhere, I saw comments that Rory should have married Logan, that that would have stopped her from flailing by the time they made it to the revival. (Hi, if those people are here, too.) There is no guarantee that they would still be married, and being a housewife was not her thing. She didn't just want to be writing here and there, or following someone else around. 

On 8/13/2018 at 8:58 AM, andromeda331 said:

I love that scene too and hearing Emily's idea. While it did sound too extravagant for Lorelai parts I really thought sound like what Lorelai would love. Getting married in the winter? With her love of snow? The trees with lights and tiara sounded like what Lorelai would love. I even think she'd love the sleigh she sees like she would love that. So many times you wonder if Emily has ever even met Lorelai with what she would want and her likes. But this one when didn't sound that far off. The Russian theme yes, but other parts sound like she knew her daughter's likes a lot more then you'd think. I love Luke's answer to Emily's question I remember laughing at the answer then stopped to think and ended up agree with Luke. Except for the kids they probably did have it coming. 

I loved her idea for Lorelai's wedding, too, and I think that Lor would have like a lot of it, if it hadn't come from her mother. It shows that Emily was in tune with her daughter, in ways. She knew what she loved. 

I need to read about the Romanoffs. They've been a popular topic over the past year, but I don't know anything about them. I saw a book in the bookstore, but couldn't afford to buy it (yet).

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Anela said:

I agree, and I feel the same way about Rory turning Logan down. Earlier on, elsewhere, I saw comments that Rory should have married Logan, that that would have stopped her from flailing by the time they made it to the revival. (Hi, if those people are here, too.) There is no guarantee that they would still be married, and being a housewife was not her thing. She didn't just want to be writing here and there, or following someone else around. 

I loved her idea for Lorelai's wedding, too, and I think that Lor would have like a lot of it, if it hadn't come from her mother. It shows that Emily was in tune with her daughter, in ways. She knew what she loved. 

Your probably right if it had come from almost anyone else Lorelai would have loved it. I do like when Emily says it would have been beautiful that Lorelai does respond with she's sure it would be. That was nice and she doesn't really belittle or make fun or anything like that when she hears her mother's idea for her wedding. She seems surprised but only really says it doesn't sound like her when Emily says she hates it. She's actually pretty nice about it. 

I need to read about the Romanoffs. They've been a popular topic over the past year, but I don't know anything about them. I saw a book in the bookstore, but couldn't afford to buy it (yet).

I started reading a lot about them after that Disney movie Anastasia came in 97 the Romanov family, the reigns and revolution. The kids were definitely innocent but their parents on the other hand. From all the crap that went on during the 300 years of Romanov rule and crappy treatment of their people until the throne and country ended up in the hands of the incompetent Nicholas and his equally incompetent wife. When Luke made that remark I laughed hard, thought about it and realized I agree with him. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Anela said:

Have you looked at your public library?

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

There are tons of books written about the Romanovs but, as Luke put it so succinctly, they had it coming.  Well, not the kids but their family history isn't the most pleasant to read.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

There are tons of books written about the Romanovs but, as Luke put it so succinctly, they had it coming.  Well, not the kids but their family history isn't the most pleasant to read.

This is getting off-topic, and I apologize.  But, I think "they had it coming" is a little strong.  Maybe some of the Romanovs in the past.  But, Nicholas was more incompetent and stupid than evil.  And Alexandra did a lot of charity work during the war.  They made some huge mistakes, but I don't think being shot to death (in the most horrible manner, although that was partly their fault) and then hacked to pieces was fitting.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

They made some huge mistakes, but I don't think being shot to death (in the most horrible manner, although that was partly their fault) and then hacked to pieces was fitting.

Good point.  Virtually no one deserves that. 

• Love 1

Apologies if this has been previously discussed.

I have just watched the final three eps of the series.  I am very curious to know what the last scene taped was?  I know the last scene shown was Lorelai and Rory sitting in Luke's on the eve of her departure for the campaign in Iowa, with Luke working behind the counter in the background.   I doubt, but don't know, that this was the last scene actually performed.  If different, what was the last scene for Lauren and/or Alexis?

For my money, the true "end" was Luke declaring all he wanted was to make Lorelai happy and she kissed him.  I teared up when Kelly Bishop's Emily  told Rory it was an honor to be her Grandmother.   Lorelai letting her know that Friday's would continue was also a wonderful  moment.

Anyway, any insights as to which scene was the last would be much appreciated.  Heck, it may not even have been for the finale, for all I know!  Thanks in advance.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Apologies if this has been previously discussed.

I have just watched the final three eps of the series.  I am very curious to know what the last scene taped was?  I know the last scene shown was Lorelai and Rory sitting in Luke's on the eve of her departure for the campaign in Iowa, with Luke working behind the counter in the background.   I doubt, but don't know, that this was the last scene actually performed.  If different, what was the last scene for Lauren and/or Alexis?

For my money, the true "end" was Luke declaring all he wanted was to make Lorelai happy and she kissed him.  I teared up when Kelly Bishop's Emily  told Rory it was an honor to be her Grandmother.   Lorelai letting her know that Friday's would continue was also a wonderful  moment.

Anyway, any insights as to which scene was the last would be much appreciated.  Heck, it may not even have been for the finale, for all I know!  Thanks in advance.

Don’t know the answer to what was filmed last, but the tent party makes a lot of sense because there could be a massive after party on the lot when they were done!

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I too have a question. In Take the Deviled Eggs...Lorelai is going to call the purveyors of catalogs about sending her so many duplicates. One of the names she used was Squeegie something. Does anyone remember the last name?

Squeegee Beckenheim, I believe. 

• Love 1

This is getting off-topic, and I apologize.  But, I think "they had it coming" is a little strong.  Maybe some of the Romanovs in the past.  But, Nicholas was more incompetent and stupid than evil.  And Alexandra did a lot of charity work during the war.  They made some huge mistakes, but I don't think being shot to death (in the most horrible manner, although that was partly their fault) and then hacked to pieces was fitting.

I'll just note that prior to the Revolution, back in about 1905, Nicholas' government, with his assent, killed thousands of people who protested his leadership and dared to challenge the status quo, to ensure his own power.  So while I do think the children, and perhaps Alexandra should have been allowed to go into exile, the Czarist government was plenty cruel and evil.  What replaced it ended up not being better, but Nicholas was no innocent.

I do absolutely love that the show can inspire a historical discussion about Czarist Russia.  

I feel like Michel and Kirk were done rather well.  I also feel the same about Mrs Kim, Patty, and Babette.  But they are pretty much comic relief (you can argue Mrs Kim was not, but she always cracked me up bc I'm of asian descent).

I agree with all those except Kirk.  I felt like he got to be too much at times, when a little would have gone a long way.

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I do absolutely love that the show can inspire a historical discussion about Czarist Russia.  

And it was great when ASP deigned to make Luke astute enough to make a cryptic comment about it before dumbing him down.  I hated that she did that to both Luke and Dean.  She must have hated those characters.

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I'll just note that prior to the Revolution, back in about 1905, Nicholas' government, with his assent, killed thousands of people who protested his leadership and dared to challenge the status quo, to ensure his own power.  So while I do think the children, and perhaps Alexandra should have been allowed to go into exile, the Czarist government was plenty cruel and evil.  What replaced it ended up not being better, but Nicholas was no innocent.

I agree with all those except Kirk.  I felt like he got to be too much at times, when a little would have gone a long way.

I agree. That protest and the protests that followed lead to Nicholas being forced to create the Duma to satisfy everyone. He came up with a document the Fundamental Laws that stripped the Duma basically of all its power and he could dismiss the Duma and have new elections when ever he wanted too. Which he did repeatedly until he got a Duma that he wanted which basically would let him continue to do whatever he wanted. Alexandra could go either way I still think there's a case to be made with her handling of the government when Nicholas in another bad move left it in her incompetent hands. She did a horrible job hiring and firing ministers depending on her or Rasputin liking them or not which left the government unstable.  She refused to listen to anyone who disagreed with her even as things were falling apart.

Me too! I love the discussion!

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Luke seems at one time before they dumbed him down, an educated man. I don't remember him ever mentioning going to college but he made some pretty erudite remarks on occasion. People like that are often self educated.

Now he thinks he has to have sex with a surrogate. Hate that!

• Love 5

Just watched "In the Clamor & the Clangor" -- most notable for Lane's double life being discovered by Mrs Kim.  A few things:

1. Rami Malek ("Mr Robot") is a part of Lane's discussion group!!

2. One of my favorite Lorelai moments was her *immediately phoning (@4am) Mrs Kim when she found out.  For all her faults, Lorelai had a strict "mom code", and was faithful to it ("Tell Lane I'm pissed at her!"), and I respected her for that.

3. Thanks for nothing, Rev "Cockblocker" Skinner -- interrupting that key emotional confession by Lorelai to Luke.  Grrrr.

Eh. At least it was a "moment".  Those were few & far between after Season 1, until "Raincoats & Recipes".

• Love 2

The Nitpick thread reminded me how much I loved the Independence Inn set and I wish that the revival had ended with the reveal that Lorelai's new business plan was to buy the property and open that spa that Emily brought up at the end of the original series.  The Independence property would have been perfect for such a venture.  The annex wasn't a bad idea but it's way to small to really do anything other than rent a couple of rooms to people who want to stay right in the middle of town.  I can't imagine it would boost profits that much.  Lorelai has more options if she gets her hands on the land that used to house the Independence Inn.  Plus we would get to learn what the hell happened to it after it closed.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, voiceover said:

Just watched "In the Clamor & the Clangor" -- most notable for Lane's double life being discovered by Mrs Kim.  A few things:

1. Rami Malek ("Mr Robot") is a part of Lane's discussion group!!

And now he’s playing Freddie Mercury. Looks like Lane and her rock and roll sensibility rubbed off on him :)

• Love 1

Today was "The Reigning Lorelai", which features Kelly Bishop's finest performance in a series full of them.  How I do adore slatternly Emily: kimono-garbed, cigarette-waving, mojito-guzzling, novel-reading Emily.  

Makes it harder to reconcile this Emily with the horrid woman who tried to break up Luke and Lorelai.  I believe I have already griped ad nauseam re: the stupid-ass retcon that allowed Lorelei's mother to do to Luke, what was done to her.

In the meantime, I take solace in her suggestion that Sookie forgo the buffet in favor of "toss[ing] cheese cubes" into her MiL's casket, and "stick[ing] toothpicks in her mouth...".   I laugh my ass off every. Time!

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Today was "The Reigning Lorelai", which features Kelly Bishop's finest performance in a series full of them.  How I do adore slatternly Emily: kimono-garbed, cigarette-waving, mojito-guzzling, novel-reading Emily.  

Makes it harder to reconcile this Emily with the horrid woman who tried to break up Luke and Lorelai.  I believe I have already griped ad nauseam re: the stupid-ass retcon that allowed Lorelei's mother to do to Luke, what was done to her.

In the meantime, I take solace in her suggestion that Sookie forgo the buffet in favor of "toss[ing] cheese cubes" into her MiL's casket, and "stick[ing] toothpicks in her mouth...".   I laugh my ass off every. Time!

That was Kelly Bishop at her finest. It's one of my favorite episodes. So many good lines. "You know who would like Jason? Penelynn Lott would like Jason".

• Love 5
2 hours ago, voiceover said:

Yeah,  but they always seemed to have a problem keeping characters consistent. Then again Emily was always Team Christopher. I remember her coming to randomly have lunch with Lorelei in Stars Hollow at Luke’s so she could berate Lorelei about not being with Christopher because of Sherri being pregnant, she was all “I talked to him, he doesn’t love this woman!” Yes she did that awesome moment at the end of Said episode when she kicked Christopher out for his Friday night dinner ambush but still, she was always Team Christopher. Even after Luke and Lorelei’s engagement, she just seemed to tolerate Luke still at that point.

Until the revival it seems and seriously Emily is the only thing I really love about the revival, she does seem kind of fond  with Luke in it. But seriously it’s the only thing I really loved about the revival was Emily. Well her and jess. And when Lorelei was watching the stars hollow musical rehearsal or whatever and was making amazing WTF faces.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, voiceover said:

A lot of people do unto others what was done unto them by someone else.  

• Love 3

Yes.  I know this.  Doesn't lessen the irritation with that particular sl.  

I might have been reconciled to her Klub Kristopher cheering section if her daughter could have had one line -- one line! -- reminding Emily of that hypocrisy.  Which would have been completely in character for Lorelai, even if her mother ignored it.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Yes.  I know this.  Doesn't lessen the irritation with that particular sl.  

I might have been reconciled to her Klub Kristopher cheering section if her daughter could have had one line -- one line! -- reminding Emily of that hypocrisy.  Which would have been completely in character for Lorelai, even if her mother ignored it.

Yeah, I’m curious to why that didn’t have Lorelei call Emily out on this either. Shes called her out for other things.

• Love 1

I really liked Luke and Emily’s relationship in the early seasons. Their talk in “Forgiveness and Stuff” is one of my favorite scenes, for instance. Luke’s not intimated with her, and she’s genuinely kind to him, and they found common ground and got real with each other. It’s pretty good stuff all around. 

I also enjoy this small interaction between them in Haunted Leg:

LUKE: You two ready to order?

EMILY: Yes. How is your Caesar salad dressing prepared?

LUKE: I’ll have to call Paul Newman and ask him.

ASP could’ve really developed this relationship along these lines, but instead she chose to dumb down Luke and make Emily a moustache-twirling villain for the sake of drama even when it didn’t make sense for either of their characters.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, stan4 said:

Based on how she treats practically every other human being in existence, it's pretty safe to say she's a villain, treatment of Luke notwithstanding.

Except Sookie.  For some reason Emily was always nice to her.

7 hours ago, bracebridge said:

I really liked Luke and Emily’s relationship in the early seasons. Their talk in “Forgiveness and Stuff” is one of my favorite scenes, for instance.

My favorite scene between them as well. 

Not sure why ASP put the skids on that line and went an entirely different direction with their relationship.  Was SP not supposed to be the love interest?  Did DS suddenly become available so that he was to replace SP as the main guy?  The "take off your shirt" line totally put me off him from the get go so if the idea was to make him "the one", ASP blew it for me right there.

• Love 4
On 8/28/2018 at 9:43 AM, chessiegal said:

Not yet. I have a pile of books from them, and a huge fee that needs to be paid, before I can order anything else in. 

7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Except Sookie.  For some reason Emily was always nice to her.

My favorite scene between them as well. 

Not sure why ASP put the skids on that line and went an entirely different direction with their relationship.  Was SP not supposed to be the love interest?  Did DS suddenly become available so that he was to replace SP as the main guy?  The "take off your shirt" line totally put me off him from the get go so if the idea was to make him "the one", ASP blew it for me right there.

I have asked that question numerous times as well. I even wondered when they first aired season 7 if it was a test to see fan reaction to Chris actually being the endgame. But I’m not sure how far ahead everything was filmed.

• Love 1
Spoiler

I'm glad Lorelai ended up with Luke. He was the only one of her guys I liked consistently. Chris was too weak, Jason was also weak and weird and Max was boring. I thought Luke had a passionate vibe although I was pissed at him during the whole April deception.

• Love 7