Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Lorelai and Rory and the People They Love

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The average temp in CT in Nov. is in the thirties. Brrrr.

Eh, my son and his Scout trip camp outdoors all year around and we live in the north also. It’s fine with the right gear.

• Love 1
(edited)

Emily in Wonderland, S1 E19

Was watching this the other day and was amazed by the imagery. Some of it goes against later impressions and the romantic notions of some fanfic.

Below some screen caps. 

My observations/opinions:

• The potting shed was adorable and in no way run down. It would have been an enviable place to stay. Emily overreacted here, especially since the Crap Shack is less well-maintained.
  • At the Dragonfly, were Rachel and Lorelai twins? They were certainly dressed like it. These images spawn fanfic inspiration, because they looked very similar except that Rachel was prettier.
  • First thing in Luke’s apartment: any bed that can hold an arm pillow and regular pillows side by side isn’t a single bed saying there’s no room for anyone in his life. Plenty of room for two, and IIRC it wasn’t any bigger in season 5
  • Edit: Luke has a TV next to his bed! So much for Lorelai being special.
  • Luke’s bed in S3 Poe’s was smaller, and it wasn’t Jess’ bed. 
  • The bathroom near the front door is weirdly placed. Even more unusual, in S5 it’s practically on top of Luke’s bed, which means it must have been moved. Except for Liz’ wedding, they used the original bathroom. News flash for financial wiz Luke: if you can’t afford to close the Diner for a remodel upstairs, you shouldn’t be moving bathrooms, one of the most expensive rooms to remodel.

A8A1E955-796A-4A4C-B73A-08DD2C31E2E4.thumb.jpeg.80c2bed7f1d553567396b2d4d6cce723.jpeg71D07825-8FAE-4991-BD44-FAB3829BA0E8.thumb.jpeg.b4343e303b3cf0be109cbdd77115fca5.jpeg10B6B971-44DB-4349-A38A-771802D996D6.thumb.jpeg.5c190b4a6e11d376cdae82c3655e60b1.jpeg488633CD-469B-493E-BBB5-9FC980BF3792.thumb.jpeg.7841e09384e0bea87e70abc3c7519cea.jpeg77FB2A7A-5B9C-4C4E-AD04-274D176C964A.thumb.jpeg.2aeb71391c7ffb650e75329a19cf752f.jpeg553414F6-0DA1-4D69-AFF7-9439539FB805.thumb.jpeg.a81930185680a8a6bd3af09eada69497.jpeg

45C037E6-8D73-4007-8D77-814407B186D3.jpeg

Edited by junienmomo
Added TV comment
  • Love 4
On 7/11/2018 at 8:10 AM, junienmomo said:

Emily in Wonderland, S1 E19

Was watching this the other day and was amazed by the imagery. Some of it goes against later impressions and the romantic notions of some fanfic.

Below some screen caps. 

My observations/opinions:

• The potting shed was adorable and in no way run down. It would have been an enviable place to stay. Emily overreacted here, especially since the Crap Shack is less well-maintained.
  • At the Dragonfly, were Rachel and Lorelai twins? They were certainly dressed like it. These images spawn fanfic inspiration, because they looked very similar except that Rachel was prettier.
  • First thing in Luke’s apartment: any bed that can hold an arm pillow and regular pillows side by side isn’t a single bed saying there’s no room for anyone in his life. Plenty of room for two, and IIRC it wasn’t any bigger in season 5
  • Edit: Luke has a TV next to his bed! So much for Lorelai being special.
  • Luke’s bed in S3 Poe’s was smaller, and it wasn’t Jess’ bed. 
  • The bathroom near the front door is weirdly placed. Even more unusual, in S5 it’s practically on top of Luke’s bed, which means it must have been moved. Except for Liz’ wedding, they used the original bathroom. News flash for financial wiz Luke: if you can’t afford to close the Diner for a remodel upstairs, you shouldn’t be moving bathrooms, one of the most expensive rooms to remodel.

71D07825-8FAE-4991-BD44-FAB3829BA0E8.thumb.jpeg.b4343e303b3cf0be109cbdd77115fca5.jpeg10B6B971-44DB-4349-A38A-771802D996D6.thumb.jpeg.5c190b4a6e11d376cdae82c3655e60b1.jpeg488633CD-469B-493E-BBB5-9FC980BF3792.thumb.jpeg.7841e09384e0bea87e70abc3c7519cea.jpeg77FB2A7A-5B9C-4C4E-AD04-274D176C964A.thumb.jpeg.2aeb71391c7ffb650e75329a19cf752f.jpeg553414F6-0DA1-4D69-AFF7-9439539FB805.thumb.jpeg.a81930185680a8a6bd3af09eada69497.jpeg

45C037E6-8D73-4007-8D77-814407B186D3.jpeg

I think both ladies are very beautiful, just in different ways.

• Love 6

Spin-off of the Nitpicking thread as it is more suited for this thread - 

I feel Dean's behavior in Season 1 and 2 is often villified unfairly, as I've said. But in particular, the fact that he "watched" Rory for a couple weeks before approaching her and the whole break-up over her not saying "I love you" when he said it.  On the first point, I think 90% of teenagers watch someone they have an interest in.  He never appeared to be following her or stalking her, but just noticing things about her at school and leaving school.  I think even plenty of adults would have to admit to google-stalking someone before asking them out.  And for the next part, his reaction to the lack of "I love you" was over the top but so was her reaction to the break-up.  I don't see his reaction as more extreme than hers.  I think they were both just teenagers being teenagers, for lack of a better word.  Their romantic entanglements can be intense.

3 minutes ago, deaja said:

I think they were both just teenagers being teenagers, for lack of a better word.  Their romantic entanglements can be intense.

Yep, high drama fueled by hormones.  Nothing criminal about it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Does anybody know what those sandwiches were that Mrs. Kim was serving at the dance marathon?

Eggless egg salad.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Also, where is Mr. Kim.?

A question for the ages.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, stan4 said:

The running schtick falls apart when he's not even at his own daughter's wedding.

I agree.  They should never have shown Lane actually walking down the aisle if they weren't going to at least have an "unidentified man" walking with her.  Really makes him popping up randomly in the Revival even more stupid.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

I agree.  They should never have shown Lane actually walking down the aisle if they weren't going to at least have an "unidentified man" walking with her.  Really makes him popping up randomly in the Revival even more stupid.

Not to mention that Mrs. Kim basically has been Lane since living in the US. Since she has hid her religious life and being a very: "Do as I say or else" unlike her own mother who was a dedicated Buddist and one of the most nicest and friendliest person if you trip on the street, she would help you up. Instead of: "you buy something or get out!" 

One of the perplexing story choices that's been raised by several of us over the years is why Dean didn't break up with Rory after he admitted to Lorelai that he was aware of Rory's feelings for Jess.  I just rewatched Back In The Saddle Again and I've figured out why he didn't.  The next episode is Teach Me Tonight, when Dean's out of town and we have the car accident that prompts Jess to leave town.  This show's timeline is so strange but it seems like Dean's trip with his dad (to see his Grandpa?) was sudden so I'm assuming minor family emergency (since his mom stayed behind).  Dean went with his dad to presumably help out (I may have some details wrong as I usually skip this episode during rewatches) and Jess was gone when he returned.  Remove the trip and I wouldn't be surprised if Dean had broken up with Rory soon after his admission.  But, because Jess was gone and Rory wrote that letter, Dean decided not to break up with her and instead take everything as a sign to work on the relationship.  He didn't know about the wedding kiss and Rory spent zero time around Jess (that Dean was aware of) between her homecoming from DC and the dance marathon so he probably assumed that she no longer had feelings for him.  Then, when he saw they way she looked at and behaved around Jess at the dance marathon he realized he was wrong and broke up with her right then.  The way he broke up with her was awful, and he still should have dumped her in season 2* for not being into him no matter where Jess was, but I now get why he didn't given the events of the episodes. 

*Really, Rory should have dumped Dean the second she realized she liked Jess.  But Rory was always the dumpee, never the dumper.  If Dean hadn't finally done it I don't think she'd ever have left that relationship. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

One of the perplexing story choices that's been raised by several of us over the years is why Dean didn't break up with Rory after he admitted to Lorelai that he was aware of Rory's feelings for Jess.  I just rewatched Back In The Saddle Again and I've figured out why he didn't. 

Huh.  Very interesting!  You could very well be on to something there.

• Love 3

You know, on the one hand I'm glad that the Michel vs Tobin only lasted the couple of episodes but, on the other, I wish there had been a moment of triumph for Michel.  Tobin was clearly doing everything he could to get rid of Michel and probably would have if Michel hadn't talked to Lorelai when he tried to babysit Davey.  It's a shame that Lorelai and Sookie never caught on to Tobin's true nature but Lorelai liked having her ass kissed and Sookie's just oblivious enough not to notice.

Unrelated but I've come to realize that one of my favorite Lorelai/Emily moments is in Dead Uncles... when Emily comes to the diner to berate Lorelai for getting through to Sookie on the insanity that had become the wedding plans.  I don't like that part, as Emily should have realized that even with huge discounts her suggestions were far too extravagant but I do like when Lorelai calls her on the fact that she was really planning her (Lorelai) wedding.  Oh, I agree that Emily was tailoring the details to Sookie's personality but she was definitely using this opportunity to plan the wedding she didn't think she'd ever get to plan.  And I love Kelly's expression when Lorelai calls her out.  There's just enough of a shift in expression that we know what Lorelai's saying is true.  Maybe Emily herself didn't realize it until that moment but it was true.  And, while I also agree with Lorelai that the Russian themed wedding doesn't actually suit her, I'm glad that Emily confessed what she'd envisioned.  It's a shame that the Ps imploded the L/L engagement because a story where Lorelai, in an effort to patch things up with Emily after Rory goes back to Yale, asks her for ideas/help with the wedding would have been awesome.  It's a perfect story for them to argue and then make up like they always do and for each to compromise when a good suggestion is raised.  Emily could contribute with a winter date, the trees filled with lights, and that tiara she mentioned back in season 2.  The episode itself could have aired during season 7 November sweeps, leaving the second half of the season to start wrapping up the series.  But, it was more important to implode the relationship as they left the show so that's what we got.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

You know, on the one hand I'm glad that the Michel vs Tobin only lasted the couple of episodes but, on the other, I wish there had been a moment of triumph for Michel.  Tobin was clearly doing everything he could to get rid of Michel and probably would have if Michel hadn't talked to Lorelai when he tried to babysit Davey.  It's a shame that Lorelai and Sookie never caught on to Tobin's true nature but Lorelai liked having her ass kissed and Sookie's just oblivious enough not to notice.

Unrelated but I've come to realize that one of my favorite Lorelai/Emily moments is in Dead Uncles... when Emily comes to the diner to berate Lorelai for getting through to Sookie on the insanity that had become the wedding plans.  I don't like that part, as Emily should have realized that even with huge discounts her suggestions were far too extravagant but I do like when Lorelai calls her on the fact that she was really planning her (Lorelai) wedding.  Oh, I agree that Emily was tailoring the details to Sookie's personality but she was definitely using this opportunity to plan the wedding she didn't think she'd ever get to plan.  And I love Kelly's expression when Lorelai calls her out.  There's just enough of a shift in expression that we know what Lorelai's saying is true.  Maybe Emily herself didn't realize it until that moment but it was true.  And, while I also agree with Lorelai that the Russian themed wedding doesn't actually suit her, I'm glad that Emily confessed what she'd envisioned.  It's a shame that the Ps imploded the L/L engagement because a story where Lorelai, in an effort to patch things up with Emily after Rory goes back to Yale, asks her for ideas/help with the wedding would have been awesome.  It's a perfect story for them to argue and then make up like they always do and for each to compromise when a good suggestion is raised.  Emily could contribute with a winter date, the trees filled with lights, and that tiara she mentioned back in season 2.  The episode itself could have aired during season 7 November sweeps, leaving the second half of the season to start wrapping up the series.  But, it was more important to implode the relationship as they left the show so that's what we got.

I love that scene too and hearing Emily's idea. While it did sound too extravagant for Lorelai parts I really thought sound like what Lorelai would love. Getting married in the winter? With her love of snow? The trees with lights and tiara sounded like what Lorelai would love. I even think she'd love the sleigh she sees like she would love that. So many times you wonder if Emily has ever even met Lorelai with what she would want and her likes. But this one when didn't sound that far off. The Russian theme yes, but other parts sound like she knew her daughter's likes a lot more then you'd think. I love Luke's answer to Emily's question I remember laughing at the answer then stopped to think and ended up agree with Luke. Except for the kids they probably did have it coming. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Tobin was clearly doing everything he could to get rid of Michel and probably would have if Michel hadn't talked to Lorelai when he tried to babysit Davey.  It's a shame that Lorelai and Sookie never caught on to Tobin's true nature but Lorelai liked having her ass kissed and Sookie's just oblivious enough not to notice.

Finally!  Somebody sees Tobin the way I do!  Ha ha ha.  Never could stand Tobin and especially hated the way Lorelai and Sookie turned into a couple of vapid airheads around him.  Ugh.

45 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

While it did sound too extravagant for Lorelai parts I really thought sound like what Lorelai would love. Getting married in the winter? With her love of snow? The trees with lights and tiara sounded like what Lorelai would love. I even think she'd love the sleigh she seems like she would love that.

Lorelai was very excited to ride in the horse-drawn sleigh in Bracebridge Dinner.  I totally thought the winter wonderland themed wedding would have been right up her alley and I think her reaction when Emily described it was more to cover the fact that it was something she would totally love.  Heh.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Finally!  Somebody sees Tobin the way I do!  Ha ha ha.  Never could stand Tobin and especially hated the way Lorelai and Sookie turned into a couple of vapid airheads around him.  Ugh.

He's so smarmy and an obvious brown-noser. I feel like Lorelai, in particular, would not care for that. "Wherever Sookie goes, the baby goes. And wherever the baby goes, I go." Oh, just go off a cliff, Tobin!

• Love 6
9 hours ago, ghoulina said:

He's so smarmy and an obvious brown-noser. I feel like Lorelai, in particular, would not care for that. "Wherever Sookie goes, the baby goes. And wherever the baby goes, I go." Oh, just go off a cliff, Tobin!

With Sookie and Dave? How morbid!

On the other hand, Sookie did become a whole lot less likable around then, so....

8 hours ago, deaja said:

On the other hand, Sookie did become a whole lot less likable around then, so....

She really did. I'm glad that ended and she was back to likable Sookie except for the one where she's horrible to Luke when he's filling in because she never did find a replacement for herself. 

13 hours ago, deaja said:

LOL, I meant just Tobin. 

But if Sookie is yelling, "You heard your father, turn it down!" - both she AND Jackson can head over the cliff as well!

• Love 4

I think the Russian theme was just an old, reused thing the writers had.

This party will be Russian.  This DAR thing will be Russian.  This wedding will be Russian.  *snore*

• Love 3

I agree a white winter wedding would be perfect for Lorelai. No question.

And Sookie was especially awful in 4.14 when she insists she had to be at the inn to okay the sink and Lorelai takes 5 minutes for herself to get a haircut and Sookie doesn't show up. Lorelai goes to Sookie's house and she uses her kid as an excuse, saying the kid didn't sleep through the night. I hear you, and yeah, that's tough. But you have a job. Every single parent on this earth has raised a kid, you're not the first. You still gotta show up at your job. And she's not even sorry or anything. She behaved horribly towards Lorelai. That was one of the rare episodes where I felt sorry for Lorelai for getting stuck with such a partner, and one of the only episodes where I hated Sookie...

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, marineg said:

I agree a white winter wedding would be perfect for Lorelai. No question.

And Sookie was especially awful in 4.14 when she insists she had to be at the inn to okay the sink and Lorelai takes 5 minutes for herself to get a haircut and Sookie doesn't show up. Lorelai goes to Sookie's house and she uses her kid as an excuse, saying the kid didn't sleep through the night. I hear you, and yeah, that's tough. But you have a job. Every single parent on this earth has raised a kid, you're not the first. You still gotta show up at your job. And she's not even sorry or anything. She behaved horribly towards Lorelai. That was one of the rare episodes where I felt sorry for Lorelai for getting stuck with such a partner, and one of the only episodes where I hated Sookie...

I hate Sookie in that episode. She doesn't show up to okay the sink even though she was the one who insisted on it and when Lorelai shows up at her house and yes she's not even sorry about it and then tries to blame Michel for it and acts like Michel's the problem. Even though as Lorelai points out Michel has a job and neither of them would know how to okay the sink Sookie was the only one who could because she insisted on it.  Then Sookie goes on to say she wasn't suppose to do any of this stuff, that her part was after the inn. I mean, what the hell? She really thought it would be completely okay for Lorelai to do everything before then?  That her only part was running the kitchen? How is that fair? And that Lorelai would be okay with that plan?  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I hate Sookie in that episode. She doesn't show up to okay the sink even though she was the one who insisted on it and when Lorelai shows up at her house and yes she's not even sorry about it and then tries to blame Michel for it and acts like Michel's the problem. Even though as Lorelai points out Michel has a job and neither of them would know how to okay the sink Sookie was the only one who could because she insisted on it.  Then Sookie goes on to say she wasn't suppose to do any of this stuff, that her part was after the inn. I mean, what the hell? She really thought it would be completely okay for Lorelai to do everything before then?  That her only part was running the kitchen? How is that fair? And that Lorelai would be okay with that plan?  

I think it always rubs me the wrong way when someone effs up and instead of apologizing and trying to do better, they get defensive and lash back out.

• Love 4

Even though as Lorelai points out Michel has a job and neither of them would know how to okay the sink Sookie was the only one who could because she insisted on it.  Then Sookie goes on to say she wasn't suppose to do any of this stuff, that her part was after the inn. I mean, what the hell? She really thought it would be completely okay for Lorelai to do everything before then?  That her only part was running the kitchen? How is that fair? And that Lorelai would be okay with that plan?  

In fairness to Sookie, it was never going to be an equitable division of labor.  Lorelai is the one who knows how to run an inn, knows what you would need to make things successful and has actual experience in running a business.  Sookie has none of that.  I'm not saying Sookie's excuses were legitimate, but which part of the renovation and opening of the business would you really want Sookie in charge of handling?         

• Love 4
7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

In fairness to Sookie, it was never going to be an equitable division of labor.  Lorelai is the one who knows how to run an inn, knows what you would need to make things successful and has actual experience in running a business.  Sookie has none of that.  I'm not saying Sookie's excuses were legitimate, but which part of the renovation and opening of the business would you really want Sookie in charge of handling?         

Yah, but

1.  When you don't know enough to take initiative (or shoulder some of the burden of mental management - a job in its own right), then you should be volunteering to be in the trenches doing the stuff you can, even if it means being directed by the more knowledgeable person.  Not just check out and make excuses.

2.  At the time Lorelai was upset about the sink, they were rebuilding/fixing up the inn.  I don't know about some inn-specific items that may have needed to be addressed in the build, but surely there were basic general contracting issues Sookie could have handled. 

Or, you know, just show up, because if you own part of a business, you should learn the ins snd outs.  Npi.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, stan4 said:

I think it always rubs me the wrong way when someone effs up and instead of apologizing and trying to do better, they get defensive and lash back out.

Me too. If you mess up you apologize you don't get defensive, act like its no big deal, and blame other people for your mess up. Why couldn't she just apologize? She screwed up. 

59 minutes ago, stan4 said:

Yah, but

1.  When you don't know enough to take initiative (or shoulder some of the burden of mental management - a job in its own right), then you should be volunteering to be in the trenches doing the stuff you can, even if it means being directed by the more knowledgeable person.  Not just check out and make excuses.

2.  At the time Lorelai was upset about the sink, they were rebuilding/fixing up the inn.  I don't know about some inn-specific items that may have needed to be addressed in the build, but surely there were basic general contracting issues Sookie could have handled. 

Or, you know, just show up, because if you own part of a business, you should learn the ins snd outs. Npi.

Exactly, why should Lorelai have to do everything because Sookie doesn't know anything about it and isn't very good at it. Lorelai doesn't either. She  ran the Independence Inn but didn't own it. She didn't have to go over everything needed done when it was built. You suck it up and do what you can. You learn and deal. You don't have your partner do everything while you simply wait until the kitchen is open. Lorelai being upset about the sink was the last straw after spending the episode having to do everything. Tom tries to talk to Lorelai and Sookie early, and Sookie gets all flustered so only Lorelai has to be the one Tom talks to.  She tried to get Sookie to take that one meeting which she agreed then backed out because she had to take Davy to hard to get into doctor. I'm curious how often Sookie found excuses to get out of doing stuff. From what we see throughout the building process Lorelai is doing the bulk of the work. Sookie's at home having a sweet time taking care of her kid and having a doula and Tobin to help her with her baby in addition to her husband. Lorelai comes by to show her samples Lorelai and Michel come to her house for their meetings. Then she complicates things by insisting to check the sink and won't let it anyone install it until she does. There was no need for her to insist on that. Its a sink. But then she doesn't show up and acts like its no big deal and then blames Michel and Lorelai for it. And not herself. Sookie would be more sympathetic if she hadn't done that or apologized for the mess up. If we saw Sookie trying even if she was struggling to take care of her baby and be there for that would be one thing. But she's not. Yes, she had a bad night with her baby but lots of parents do and still managed to make it to their appointment especially when its so important to them. Sookie could have left Davy in the hands of the doula or Tobin and gone to the meeting and probably been back in an hour maybe even less.  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

but which part of the renovation and opening of the business would you really want Sookie in charge of handling?  

If nothing else, the part of the renovation that she insisted she had to see and approve- the big expensive sink.

Also, I hated how she made Michel sit outside for the one meeting because he had sneezed. So rude. Many many many women go back to work soon after having children- sleep deprived, in pain, etc. 

1 hour ago, deaja said:

If nothing else, the part of the renovation that she insisted she had to see and approve- the big expensive sink.

Also, I hated how she made Michel sit outside for the one meeting because he had sneezed. So rude. Many many many women go back to work soon after having children- sleep deprived, in pain, etc. 

They had apparently had this dream of owning an inn for years. I think Sookie always envisioned Lorelai doing all the work and Sookie doing all the cooking/kitchen stuff.  You'd think they would have discussed that at some point.  Realistically speaking, Lorelai should have just owned the inn on her own and hired Sookie.  I can't even remember, did Sookie even contribute financially?

• Love 4

The episode where Lorelai met Alex and Sookie reconnected with her culinary school flame was at some kind of conference about small business ownership that both Sookie and Lorelai were bored by, because it was a retread of stuff they already knew. So Sookie knows a bit about the business end of things, at least theoretically. 

Also, I wouldn’t complain about the difficulty of going to work as a new mother to someone who worked as a new mother at the age of seventeen, without a husband or a doula or a Tobin to help her out. I realize Rory was over a year old when Lorelai struck out on her own, but still, Sookie, know your audience. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Also, I wouldn’t complain about the difficulty of going to work as a new mother to someone who worked as a new mother at the age of seventeen, without a husband or a doula or a Tobin to help her out. I realize Rory was over a year old when Lorelai struck out on her own, but still, Sookie, know your audience. 

While I don't disagree, we don't exactly know what the situation was for Lorelai as a young working mother at the Inn. I have seen it theorized that Lorelai either had a lot of people to watch Rory while she was working , was allowed to take Rory along while she cleaned rooms, or a combination of both. Which seems accurate, because of the special Gilmore magic that makes everyone love For and Rory and bend over backwards for them. Plus Lorelai's job was more flexible by nature. Plus Rory was out of the newborn phase and likely settled into a sleep schedule. 

Not saying Sookie wasn't being a whiner, but Lorelai can't judge to much from her fairytale tower of unrealistic single teen motherhood.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, HeySandyStrange said:

While I don't disagree, we don't exactly know what the situation was for Lorelai as a young working mother at the Inn. I have seen it theorized that Lorelai either had a lot of people to watch Rory while she was working , was allowed to take Rory along while she cleaned rooms, or a combination of both.

We know that they lived in the potting shed right there and that Rory seemed to pretty much regard Mia as a grandmother, so yeah, I don't think there were any daycare issues.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

I can't even remember, did Sookie even contribute financially?

Yes. Remember in the episode where Lorelai says she can't come up with her share of the money for the inn?

I agree.  If Sookie just wanted kitchen time (and not the effort/responsibility and adventure of starting a new business), why not just become executive chef somewhere?

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:59 PM, stan4 said:

Yes. Remember in the episode where Lorelai says she can't come up with her share of the money for the inn?

I agree.  If Sookie just wanted kitchen time (and not the effort/responsibility and adventure of starting a new business), why not just become executive chef somewhere?

That's a good question. She really has zero interest in actually being a real partner. She doesn't do anything during the building process except pick things out. After the inn is finish we never see her doing anything in her partner role. She mains working in the kitchen, Lorelai ends up handling everything else. If anything Michel's more of a partner because he does more. If Lorelai doesn't handle it Michel does. She counts on him to help run the inn. She never really counts on Sookie to help run the inn.  Sookie could have hurt the business when she never found a replacement for her while she was on maternity leave. They were lucky that Luke was able to fill in but Sookie tries to make it worse by antagonizing Luke over the food. Had she done that to anyone else they probably would have quit leaving the inn without a chef. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

[Sookie] really has zero interest in actually being a real partner. She doesn't do anything during the building process except pick things out. After the inn is finish we never see her doing anything in her partner role. She mains working in the kitchen, Lorelai ends up handling everything else. If anything Michel's more of a partner because he does more. If Lorelai doesn't handle it Michel does. She counts on him to help run the inn. She never really counts on Sookie to help run the inn.

Honestly, I've never understood the argument that Sookie didn't pull her own weight with regards to the Dragonfly.  (Maybe I should be on the unpopular opinions thread?  LOL)  Sookie made it clear up front that the business side of things was not the area she knew anything about or had any interest in.  She was there to supply a chunk of money for startup, and be in charge of the kitchen as head chef once they were open.  She was a partner in name only because Lorelai needed her money to start up.  This was their arrangement, and both of them were fine with it (aside from Lorelai's stressed-out hissy fit in TiSL).  There's really no reason Sookie should have been sticking her nose in anything other than kitchen stuff.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Taryn74 said:

Honestly, I've never understood the argument that Sookie didn't pull her own weight with regards to the Dragonfly.  (Maybe I should be on the unpopular opinions thread?  LOL)  Sookie made it clear up front that the business side of things was not the area she knew anything about or had any interest in.  She was there to supply a chunk of money for startup, and be in charge of the kitchen as head chef once they were open.  She was a partner in name only because Lorelai needed her money to start up.  This was their arrangement, and both of them were fine with it (aside from Lorelai's stressed-out hissy fit in TiSL).  There's really no reason Sookie should have been sticking her nose in anything other than kitchen stuff.

But Lorelai didn't know that's all Sookie wanted or meant when she said she wanted to be a partner or she wouldn't have been so shocked when Sookie told her in that episode that her part was only the kitchen. She thought she was getting a full partner or she wouldn't have said she wasn't suppose to have to do everything as she told Sookie. That is why she got a partner. Had she known from the beginning she wouldn't have been that upset. Or would have told Sookie she needed her to be able to do more. Or could have considered finding another partner or additional partner or something. Lorelai didn't know until that moment Sookie no plans to share the responsibility of being a full partner.  

• Love 1

The potting shed was adorable and in no way run down. It would have been an enviable place to stay. Emily overreacted here, especially since the Crap Shack is less well-maintained.

I don't think Emily overreacted.  She got the message loud and clear from that living situation.  Her daughter would have rather lived in a shed than with her family.  The shed wasn't horrible or awful, but it's still a supply shed.

Lorelai didn't know until that moment Sookie no plans to share the responsibility of being a full partner.  

Weren't they months into the renovation by that point?  I mean, how could she not have noticed?         

• Love 4
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Lorelai didn't know until that moment Sookie no plans to share the responsibility of being a full partner.  

If this were true then why would Lorelai not share with Sookie more of the financial details, and why would she not tell her they were running out of money until their contractor was close to having to shut down construction because he wasn't getting paid?  I think Lorelai planned all along to handle almost all of the details of the construction--she just didn't realize how hard it would be to do it all by herself.  Sookie was an awesome chef but never had a head for business and Lorelai knew that better than anyone.  I think Lorelai got so upset in TISL because she was totally overwhelmed, didn't know where she was going to get more money and was just afraid she was going to fail.

Edited by shron17
  • Love 2

Lorelai May have kept it from Sookie when she shouldn’t have because she had a weird way of infantilizing Sookie. She often treated her like a child (which... not always too far off).

It will always bother me that they had Sookie walk away from the inn during the revival with no real explanation

Sookie may have been a talented cook, but she was a terrible chef.

A head chef is meant to train and mentor those working in her kitchen. Sookie didn't trust any of her staff, some of whom must have hoped to advance in their career and become a head chef somewhere themselves. Go to culinary school and then get a job with some crazed control freak who didn't trust you to flip a burger? Sookie was a nightmare boss.

• Love 4

100% of these people's problems would be avoided by simple communication. It's often been said the situations the Seinfeld gang got into could have been solved with mobile phones but Lorelai and Co. had cell phones and they still got in problems because they didn't tell other people what the hell was going on. It was always stuff coming out that they should have explained to each other but "didn't know how/wasn't the time". It's ridiculous.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, shron17 said:

If this were true then why would Lorelai not share with Sookie more of the financial details, and why would she not tell her they were running out of money until their contractor was close to having to shut down construction because he wasn't getting paid?  I think Lorelai planned all along to handle almost all of the details of the construction--she just didn't realize how hard it would be to do it all by herself.  Sookie was an awesome chef but never had a head for business and Lorelai knew that better than anyone.  I think Lorelai got so upset in TISL because she was totally overwhelmed, didn't know where she was going to get more money and was just afraid she was going to fail.

17 hours ago, deaja said:

Lorelai May have kept it from Sookie when she shouldn’t have because she had a weird way of infantilizing Sookie. She often treated her like a child (which... not always too far off).

It will always bother me that they had Sookie walk away from the inn during the revival with no real explanation

No, she shouldn't have kept it from Sookie. Although given how Sookie reacted at the beginning of the episode when Tom tried to talk to Sookie and Lorelai I can see why Lorelai wouldn't want to tell her. It was annoying to see a grown woman reacting like that. Its also weird that that was Sookie's reaction. Back at the beginning of season four Lorelai tried not to tell her what the estimate was joking that after she had her baby then she could have a cow. But she still told Sookie and Sookie still wanted to know. She was upset about the higher price but didn't act like a child like she did in the beginning of TISL. It seemed like then they were more on the level of partners.  What they really should at the beginning which they clearly didn't was define what partner meant to both of them. Lorelai assumed she was getting a full partner and Sookie assumed partner meant she wouldn't have to do anything until the kitchen opened. Had Lorelai known that earlier she could have considered different options. Maybe bring in another partner or at least be aware Sookie wasn't planning on being a full partner. Sookie somehow assumed Lorelai would be completely okay with doing everything and she wouldn't be needed to do anything else.  I'd hope after that episode they talked and clarified what their roles would be. Its probably not an uncommon mistake when friends go into business together.  

• Love 1

Lorelai liked being in charge and was used to being Sookie’s boss when they both worked at the Independence Inn, so right or wrong, I think it is pretty natural that they fell back into those types of interactions in the Dragonfly operation.

A head chef is meant to train and mentor those working in her kitchen. Sookie didn't trust any of her staff, some of whom must have hoped to advance in their career and become a head chef somewhere themselves. Go to culinary school and then get a job with some crazed control freak who didn't trust you to flip a burger? Sookie was a nightmare boss.

I agree.  Sookie could be extremely irresponsible.  I'm thinking of her purposefully failing to find a temporary replacement when she was placed on bed rest, and then trying to sabotage things by camping out in vacant Dragonfly rooms to taste everything that was going out.  It was both insane, and totally absurd.  If she wasn't a partner, I would have been fine with Lorelai firing her for that stunt.   

• Love 4
On 8/16/2018 at 5:56 AM, deaja said:

I never really got why Lorelai and Sookie were even friends. Lorelai is super quick witted and Sookie is, well...a bit slow to put it mildly.

• Love 1