Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

46 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I've never paid attention before, but Jill's banana bread does not look like any other banana bread i've ever seen.

Agreed. Now I do not know what all Jill has access to in El Salvador, but I would guess some of it is because she baked it in a rectangular pan rather than a loaf pan, which is... different. A loaf pan does mean a longer cooking time, but it cooks more evenly and results in a nice, moist bread. I have always baked banana bread in a loaf pan, and it turns out well. Then my family will make it disappear within two days, and there are not anywhere near nineteen of us.

From what I can see in the picture, it also looks totally monochromatic. Usually banana break has darker spots throughout the inside, like this. 

1033249144001_2273014607001_video-still-

Now that looks tasty. Jill's just looks dry and sad. 

• Love 7

My daughter makes banana bread in mini loaf pans. 

How many pieces was she giving, one per person?

The picture at the service does seem odd. The women behind them seem to be clapping and Israel looks like he is too. 

On 4/26/2017 at 10:35 AM, bigskygirl said:

I wonder if Derick sees what is happening to Josh, and he is scared it could happen with him. Obviously Josh is not happy at all because Anna has baby fever, he is not happy with toeing the Duggar line, lost his job in Washington D.C., and another baby he probably does not want. I am not saying Derick is going to cheat on Jill, but I think he definitely has the deer in the headlight look when it comes to Jill and having kids right and left. Derick is drowning in the Duggar koolaid with no lifeguard in sight to save him.

Derick will be fine as long as he can keep it in his pants for other women.  And off dating sites.  And opens his mouth when he has had enough with the kids thing.  It's one thing to be blinded by love (or lust) and agree to anything to be able to scratch that itch righteously with the woman you want.  But totally another when you have to live with the consequences.  Which is what I think is beginning to happen.  These guys can say no to more kids. Really, they can.  They are supposed to be the heads of their families, not Jim Bob or some whacked out old man with control issues and a REALLY BAD misinterpretation of biblical thought.  If the kook aid is too much, put your foot down Derick.    Say no to more kids.  Hell...go out and have a vasectomy on the sly.  If you are done, be done.  Take the lead in your own family and stop letting anyone dictate when you are finished having kids.  Pack up Jill and the kids and move.  Be independent and live your life away from that cult.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I've never paid attention before, but Jill's banana bread does not look like any other banana bread i've ever seen.

It looks like there is a sugar crust on top.  At least, to me.

1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Jill's looks like she has some sort of hard streusellish stuff on top, 

Part of the recipe that makes the topping:

While bread is still warm brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.

1 hour ago, Annb67 said:

Probably a battery operated BP monitor- hook it up and does the reading automatically. Jilly bean- head does nothing except fasten the cuff with Velcro and wait. 

That implies she carries a Doppler and a BP monitor everywhere she goes like she's a Degreed Medical Professional? I feel for the poor people of El Salvador. 

2 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

There's no way to determine if they took the photo before, after, or during the sermon, or if they're even at a church service.

True, it might not be a service. But it is during something - the ladies in the background are attentively looking forward and clapping. I'm just assuming it's a service because it doesn't appear to be a restaurant and what else do they do?

Maybe it's more annoying interpretive Jesus dance, songs, or other skits, just not starring Derick as Jesus this time. For that, we can all be grateful. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

I work for a teaching hospital. The first thing it does with any sort of outreach or career training with kids, is teach them to do vitals. Day cares and really small kids they let them take a temp with a temporal scan and count respirations. Elementary school kids past about third or fourth grade can usually take radial pulses, listen with a stethoscope for their own lung and heart sounds (just listen to breathing and find a heartbeat). Middle school and up, depending on the kids, they can find S1 and S2 sounds, differentiate different lung sounds, etc. on a dummy. High school kids can find Doppler pulses on feet, learn CPR, do manual blood pressures, etc. All this can be done in a couple of hours, and that's with rotating kids with equipment. 

i'm really glad Jill feels like she's saving the world with her medical expertise, but she's really doing nothing most Girl Scouts can't do.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Lunera said:

Jill's famous banana bread 

I just noticed, Jill's eye shadow on both of her eyes doesn't seem to match.  It looks likes she (or Derick)  forgot to do the other eye.  There's no way Jess would have had that happen & posted a picture of it.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 4

I am a retired NICU nurse, so watching Jill's "care" is interesting (and frightening) to me.  I seem to remember back when Jubilee's death was announced to the family, Jill had said that she was monitoring her mom's care, and had heard a heartbeat just the day before.  But later in the episode, it was said that the death had happened several days earlier.  I remember wondering what she had been listening to.  Does anyone else remember this?  

• Love 5

I think Jill meant that she (claims to have) heard the fetal heartbeat the day before that Boobchelle went for the ultrasound. The baby miscarried about three days after that. 

However, she didn't have her Doppler then, so who know what she actually heard? This was almost six years ago; she was very early in her "training." 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I am a retired NICU nurse, so watching Jill's "care" is interesting (and frightening) to me.  I seem to remember back when Jubilee's death was announced to the family, Jill had said that she was monitoring her mom's care, and had heard a heartbeat just the day before.  But later in the episode, it was said that the death had happened several days earlier.  I remember wondering what she had been listening to.  Does anyone else remember this?  

Yes, I remember.  They couldn't find a heartbeat at the ultrasound & thought they said the baby had died several days earlier which is what upset Jill so much.  I think MEchelle had the choice of going in hospital for an induced delivery but she chose to wait & deliver Jubilee naturally at home with the older girls in attendance which happened a few days later. I'm sure we commented about unsafe it was for her to wait & deliver naturally at home.

13 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I wish even more that they would cut several,inches off Jill's hair.

Since the same could be said of all the Duggar women, maybe their hair is just impervious to steel blades.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Not meaning to dwell, but here's the enlarged picture. Still looks inappropriate to be mugging for the camera, to me

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/18033435_1338956092852337_4011900748319599863_n.jpg?oh=95faf81084a38fccdea56d7583a06b9b&oe=59C27AC9

Everyone else in the picture, even Izzy, seems to be clapping along to something, suggesting there was maybe a song going on at the time. Whatever it was, everyone else seems engaged in it.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix

I'm going to come across as nitpicking (or a raging bitch), but why is Izzy next to Jill? At his age and size he should be between his parents. He is not a fucking accessory or afterthought you dolts! When our daughter was that young she sat either next to one of us or between us. Kids that age can tip a chair in the blink of an eye. When eating they may need assistance. I understand there may not be high chairs available or they are not safe. In China there were plenty of high chairs for every baby in the group. But we quickly found out that in most places, there was no belt, and nothing between the babies legs. We laughed it off and held our daughter during meals. 

My heathen husband and I (call me whatever is worse than heathen) dated, cohabitated, married, traveled, and after seven years together began the adoption journey. We did not have the overwhelming need to be by each other's side at ALL TIMES. I know it's petty but it bugs the hell out of me. We knew our child would be dependent on us, and needed attention, nurturing, affection, and a lot of care. It bothers me that Izzy is their first born and they are so inattentive. What is going to happen when Lazarus is born?

I do realize that wretched MEchelle is Jill's role model. What is Derelict's excuse? With Cathy's boulder on her shoulder about biological ties, I doubt she treated her children like a puppy mill. Has Derick been so absorbed by the Duggar's cult vortex? I'm a petty woman. 

• Love 12

Derick's mind and soul has been taken over by JB and Jill. He does seem angry when it comes to Izzy. I can only imagine what he will be like when baby number two arrives in a few months. He went from being by himself, to be married to a young woman with the mindset of a teenager/child with one child and another one on the way. Hindsight is a wonderful thing is it not Derick.

Do you think he is cognizant of the immense change in his apparent mood and demeanor? Is he behaving in a detached manner because that is how his in laws parented, and he sees them as the perfect role models? Not being snarky, but I have rarely seen parents be so detached from their first born. 

• Love 5
On 28/04/2017 at 1:16 PM, RazzleberryPie said:

I think I would define it more as "banana cake" than banana bread. I can't get over that she cuts it into those small squares to serve. I was visualizing entire banana bread loaves to give to people, before I saw this. 

• Love 14
23 minutes ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

I think I would define it more as "banana cake" than banana bread. I can't get over that she cuts it into those small squares to serve. I was visualizing entire banana bread loaves to give to people, before I saw this. 

I know, me too. That is definitely not banana bread in my book. Little squares of banana cake. Wow.

• Love 1

Perhaps Derick's change in mood is a return to his natural state rather than a decline. He was wooing a father-in-law - I mean, wife - and starting his life as a telly star. Now that real life is setting in, maybe he's dropping the nice-guy act. Who knows what perspective you've got to have to marry that family.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SMama said:

I'm going to come across as nitpicking (or a raging bitch), but why is Izzy next to Jill? At his age and size he should be between his parents. He is not a fucking accessory or afterthought you dolts! When our daughter was that young she sat either next to one of us or between us. Kids that age can tip a chair in the blink of an eye. When eating they may need assistance. I understand there may not be high chairs available or they are not safe. In China there were plenty of high chairs for every baby in the group. But we quickly found out that in most places, there was no belt, and nothing between the babies legs. We laughed it off and held our daughter during meals. 

My heathen husband and I (call me whatever is worse than heathen) dated, cohabitated, married, traveled, and after seven years together began the adoption journey. We did not have the overwhelming need to be by each other's side at ALL TIMES. I know it's petty but it bugs the hell out of me. We knew our child would be dependent on us, and needed attention, nurturing, affection, and a lot of care. It bothers me that Izzy is their first born and they are so inattentive. What is going to happen when Lazarus is born?

I do realize that wretched MEchelle is Jill's role model. What is Derelict's excuse? With Cathy's boulder on her shoulder about biological ties, I doubt she treated her children like a puppy mill. Has Derick been so absorbed by the Duggar's cult vortex? I'm a petty woman. 

These fundies:

Parents relationship>>>>>>>parent child relationship/responsibilities

• Love 1

@Obsidian I will never have the perspective to even befriend the Duggars. Who would have thought mild mannered, secularly educated Derick was perhaps the desperate one. As a mother I can't imagine witnessing my child's deterioration, and ultimate demise. Bonus, it's all on TV! 

@sometimesy they are all about relationships, but have no concept of responsibility.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SMama said:

Do you think he is cognizant of the immense change in his apparent mood and demeanor? Is he behaving in a detached manner because that is how his in laws parented, and he sees them as the perfect role models? Not being snarky, but I have rarely seen parents be so detached from their first born. 

They appear to have a troubled marriage.

Derick has health problems.

Jill may (or may not) have been dealing with PPD, but appears to have been extremely unhappy for the past year.

They both appear to be having trouble bonding with their son.

They have no visible means of support, no intention of finding work, and are literally begging for cash.

And what do they do? They decide to have another baby! Jill (and Anna) are going to find out that having a baby doesn't make problems disappear.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

Jill may (or may not) have been dealing with PPD, but appears to have been extremely unhappy for the past year.

They have no visible means of support, no intention of finding work, and are literally begging for cash.

And what do they do? They decide to have another baby! Jill (and Anna) are going to find out that having a baby doesn't make problems disappear.

Off to the Prayer Closet for you! Don't you know Practice Makes Progress, and Progress Makes Baby! We heathens have no clue on how to fix or deal with a troubled marriage.

On 4/28/2017 at 8:42 PM, RazzleberryPie said:

I work for a teaching hospital. The first thing it does with any sort of outreach or career training with kids, is teach them to do vitals. Day cares and really small kids they let them take a temp with a temporal scan and count respirations. Elementary school kids past about third or fourth grade can usually take radial pulses, listen with a stethoscope for their own lung and heart sounds (just listen to breathing and find a heartbeat). Middle school and up, depending on the kids, they can find S1 and S2 sounds, differentiate different lung sounds, etc. on a dummy. High school kids can find Doppler pulses on feet, learn CPR, do manual blood pressures, etc. All this can be done in a couple of hours, and that's with rotating kids with equipment. 

i'm really glad Jill feels like she's saving the world with her medical expertise, but she's really doing nothing most Girl Scouts can't do.

Ha, yes, I was going to say that as a college intern we did vitals, with an actual stethoscope! Honed our skills practicing on elderly nuns, no less!  

12 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

Well, all the Gothard-Keller-Duggar-educated were trained as robots, not peopl,e seems to me. The whole shtick they got banged into them growing up was -- This is the script. It's the only script that works for life. It's the only script that won't send you to hell. Follow the script. Follow the script. Then you'll be safe. And nobody's feelings matter. Ever. The script makes you safe. Ignore all feelings. Follow the script -- have babies....................

So that's what Jill, Anna -- and even Josh, I expect -- are doing.

Derick, meanwhile, in my opinion, married in with a probably pretty predictable aspiring-missionary-leghumper fantasy. He was a socially inept skinny shy and retiring nerd with a missionary dream and here was this wonderful, perfect, highly successful, loving, famous family with a young female aspiring missionary who shared his dreams and who was handed to him in the best traditional Christian way -- he was given her hand by her esteemed and famous patriarch. And everything instantly went to hell in a handcart.

He learns that his missionary-aspirant wife and her sisters were molested by their parents' golden child and the all-wise world-famous patriarch had protected the molester, and continued to protect him to the present day, putting missionary wife on national television to cry over the whole sorry history. Aspiring-missionary wife is a stage-five clinger who can't stand having him away at work during the day and he quits his job. Esteemed patriarch turns out not to want them to be missionaries. They go anyway and aspiring-missionary wife turns out to hate missionarying as much as she hated Derick working in an office. Purported midwife wife nearly dies in totally messed up birthing. Derick gets sicker than all hell with a sickness that lasts for years. Wife gets PPD and doesn't bond with her baby even though she seems to have been the most loving and helpful sister-mom of the family for the multiple siblings she's already had to raise by the time she's in her early 20s. And this all happens in a culture -- and family -- where every disaster that befalls you is attributed to Satan -- if you're a Duggar -- or to your own personal sins and lack of proper savedness if you're not a Duggar. And Derick is not a Duggar. ......................

Derick becomes a helpless and hopeless zombie who has no idea how to fend off this endless torrent of disasters and retrieve from the disaster pile anything like the wonderful godly-fairy-tale life he'd envisioned such as short time ago. .........Honestly, I don't know how many extremely naive and otherwise quite average 20-somethings would know how to bounce back from so many rapid-fire blows to the core. Especially with a wife who is pretty much an idiot child who is herself struggling madly and insisting on following her family's script and can therefore be no help at all. Most young guys in this situation, I expect, would either get a divorce and walk away  -- many, I expect, would decide to see this as one of those "starter marriages" from which you're well entitled to take a mulligan -- or else drink a lot and play video games and a lot of late-night poker, or just stumble on in the mixed-up way Derick's doing. Except that they wouldn't be doing it all over the Internet and on television, so millions of people wouldn't see how awful it is.

I feel bad for both of them, really -- although more so for their kids. But I think Jill's hopelessly stuck in Duggar madness, which they all seem to believe is the answer to everything, even though all it does is make everything worse. And given his general mediocrity as a thinker and his beliefs -- and, I'd bet, their situation as a "tv family," which means that they can't accept counsel from anybody outside the super-Christian bubble or even openly admit that anything's wrong -- he has zero access to anything that might help him or them.

Maybe someday one of the Duggar kids will figure out that having more and more kids is exactly the wrong thing to do. But it's obviously going to be awhile, since Josh and Anna are now on five and counting, in a marriage that may be the worst disaster of any of them.

• Love 22
56 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

He learns that his missionary-aspirant wife and her sisters were molested by their parents' golden child and the all-wise world-famous patriarch had protected the molester, and continued to protect him to the present day, putting missionary wife on national television to cry over the whole sorry history.

And she wasn't even allowed to cry over what the molester had done to her; she had to follow the script, pretend that the molestation was "no big deal" and instead cry over how the evil media had ruined their lives by dragging the whole sorry history into the limelight.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Maybe someday one of the Duggar kids will figure out that having more and more kids is exactly the wrong thing to do. But it's obviously going to be awhile, since Josh and Anna are now on five and counting, in a marriage that may be the worst disaster of any of them.

A big "HELL YES!" to your entire post, but I actually think that Josh has always known that  having more kids is a problem, but he has to follow the script even more now. Imagine the shit show if Anna weren't pregnant right now...if she never got pregnant again or waited a few years. Not only from JB--because you know that if Josh said no to more kids Anna would have tattled immediately--and from their community, but from the media. Because while normal people think it's absurd for them to be having another child, in the Duggar mind it would be worse for us to think, "Hey, maybe they're being smart for once by not having more children!" The Duggars have always straddled this weird line of wanting general audience approval but not to the point where we think there's any dissension in the ranks. It always makes me wonder how much the fame--for all the doors it may have opened for them--has actually made them less likely to change in the grand scheme of things. 

• Love 8

This is the part of marriage Jill and Derick were not prepared for. Maybe they will be better 20 years down the road when they have sistermoms, but the hands-on work is not for them. But for the love of god, if they aren't good at taking care of children and are about to have two, do it in this country, please! They clearly can't adapt, and even more clearly aren't accomplishing anything down there. Here, at least Jill could have some sistermom help...

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, lascuba said:

A big "HELL YES!" to your entire post, but I actually think that Josh has always known that  having more kids is a problem, but he has to follow the script even more now. Imagine the shit show if Anna weren't pregnant right now...if she never got pregnant again or waited a few years. Not only from JB--because you know that if Josh said no to more kids Anna would have tattled immediately--and from their community, but from the media. Because while normal people think it's absurd for them to be having another child, in the Duggar mind it would be worse for us to think, "Hey, maybe they're being smart for once by not having more children!" The Duggars have always straddled this weird line of wanting general audience approval but not to the point where we think there's any dissension in the ranks. It always makes me wonder how much the fame--for all the doors it may have opened for them--has actually made them less likely to change in the grand scheme of things. 

I think it's totally had that effect. After all, it's not just their image, it's their mission, it's their ministry, it's God's image. They can let some things slip that happen gradually and they think people may not actually notice. But I expect there's huge hesitation if anything major would come up. 

As for Josh -- he's really disappointed me by not being as sly as they've said. A truly adept sly person could have figured out a way to sneak out unnoticed and get snipped, seems to me. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

And she wasn't even allowed to cry over what the molester had done to her; she had to follow the script, pretend that the molestation was "no big deal" and instead cry over how the evil media had ruined their lives by dragging the whole sorry history into the limelight.

The real crying was that the TV show was cancelled along with their paychecks and family appearances.  What they never seem to understand is that they never would have had a TV show in the first place if TLC had known this was going on in the family.  They got that show because they lied and covered-up.  The justified outrage by the media and the public was because the Duggars were frauds, portraying Gothard's 'Christian' lifestyle of sexual purity, modest clothing, and a 'Christian' patriarchy where men rule women and requires younger children to obey the older ones.  The public and the media felt defrauded by the Duggars, especially by Jim Bob and Michelle.

This is the public image of the family at the time the molestations were going on and when TLC spotted them and contracted their first TV special.  They were on their way to the voting booth to try to get Jim Bob elected as a Senator, spending his own $250,000 on a failed campaign, while cramming all those kids into two small bedrooms. (Notice how much bigger Josh is than his sisters.  You can barely see the 5-year-old girl who is standing behind a brother.)

0 0 1 family.jpg

• Love 2