Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

A very dear friend of mine, who is in a women's group with me, is going on a 10 day mission trip next week to Guatamala. She is paying her own way. Entirely. No "DONATE" button in sight. It is something she has always wanted to do, and she is doing it. The only thing she asked for was old used suitcases to carry necessary equipment, old scrubs, and old eyeglasses. Someone is putting together birthing kits to bring to the villagers for them to bring. Basically a "one and done" deal. Everything will be left there. For some reason, there was no mention of nail polish or dum-dums. I should tell her she needs to brush up on her interpretive dance moves before she goes. I want her to be prepared. *eye roll*

• Love 13

@Mollie with the mic drop. I was just being snarky, but I think by now we all know what kind of operation SOS is and the Dullards' superficial position within it. Hell, SOS itself qualifies as superficial. They seem to think that nail polish/soccer balls/dum dums and The Word will make these peoples' lives better. No tools to show these people what to do to improve their lot in lives (other than native women making jewelery to sell internationally...learned that from the Dullards' last trip). How about farming or other ways to grow their economy? Buildings to live in? Potable water? Nope, not from SOS.

• Love 5

From SOS page

How much does a trip cost?

In addition to airfare, in country expenses (food, housing, transportation) are $650 for the first week and $300 for each additional week (Central America only).

• Love 1

And

“We are a Faith-Based Ministry”:

We are a faith-based ministry.  That means 100% of the funds we need to live and work on are donated by fellowships, businesses and people who believe as we do.  We are trusting God to provide for our needs.  Therefore, we seek to be a blessing and a challenge in regards to missions whenever possible and trust that God will touch the hearts of those whom should be involved financially in the work.  We will trust that you, in fellowship with God, can determine if it is His will for you to support us.

As a non-for-profit, tax exempted organization (501 c3), any and all donations are used for its designated purpose and are tax deductible.

• Love 1

1. I cannot believe they posted that, while serving as missionaries, they are grateful for WiFi. Please tell me there are other posts that say they are grateful to God for working through them to bless the people of Danger America.

2. The fact that they want donations to go to them and not SOS is so shady. And why would anyone donate to them personally when it's known the Duggars are worth millions? 

3. How much does a birth via c section cost these days? I'm betting somewhere around $24k

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

3. How much does a birth via c section cost these days? I'm betting somewhere around $24k

The Dillards say that they need donations to pay for their medical insurance, so I guess they have insurance for the birth.  You'd think with the ton of money TLC pays them that they could afford their own medical insurance without asking people to hit the DONATE button on their website!  Is greed a sin in the Gothard religion?

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

1. I cannot believe they posted that, while serving as missionaries, they are grateful for WiFi. Please tell me there are other posts that say they are grateful to God for working through them to bless the people of Danger America.

2. The fact that they want donations to go to them and not SOS is so shady. And why would anyone donate to them personally when it's known the Duggars are worth millions? 

Dullard also tweeted this earlier today. Not enough characters to thank Jesus for wifi, I suppose: 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mollie said:

The Dillards say that they need donations to pay for their medical insurance, so I guess they have insurance for the birth.  You'd think with the ton of money TLC pays them that they could afford their own medical insurance without asking people to hit the DONATE button on their website!  Is greed a sin in the Gothard religion?

I don't think Jill/D-Wreck got massive paychecks this season. Jinger was the main focus. Besides the fact that I doubt TLC is paying them nearly what they got in the heyday of the 19 Kids iteration, and even then, the top rumored amount was about $50k per episode, split how many ways? 

Other than the original wedding episode, I imagine they're getting paid half that, and it's being divided into a Jill pot, a Jessa pot, a Jinger pot, and of course, a Boob pot, hopefully scaled on how they were featured in each episode. 

That said, the Dullards should be able to pay for insurance with what TLC paid them last season. After all, they were actually home this time. 

• Love 1

How many SOS missionaries does it take to baptize drown one heathen? Six? And then apparently send their new convert back to the mud hut never to be heard from again. Great photo op for Derick The Baptist. Unbelievable. (Nice job, @Sew Sumi)

• Love 7

I noticed it too! Sheets everywhere. Gross. How hard is it to pull up the sheets and tuck them in (I doubt they're using a bedspread or comforter....I don't remember seeing one. But pull that up, too, and lay the pillows next to one another at the top. That's not so hard. Takes me all of two minutes, if that. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

How did we miss this? D-Wreck and crew almost drown a local teenager while apparently baptizing him during their first "mission field" stint in DA last year. 

http://www.soshope.org/about/news/

That was from May, 2016.  Looks like they haven't converted anyone since then.  

Why does it take six grown men to manhandle this child?

0 0 1 Derick.jpg

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mollie said:

0 0 1 Derick.jpg

I know!  I know!  Participation points!

Just like when one of my brothers (aged 10) took part in Pop Warner football.  After one boy made a tackle, all the other nearby boys on the team would pile on to the tackle.  It seemed excessive, to say the least.  Then they'd all stay there until some guy walked up and would tap each boy on the shoulder while calling out the number on the boys back.  As each boy was tapped, he'd get up and walk off.  On the sidelines an assistent coach was scribbling furiously on a clipboard. 

Finally my mother asked my brother about it.  He explained that if you could reach a tackle in five steps or less you could throw yourself on the pile and get a point for assisting in a tackle.  The boy who actually made the tackle would get something like five points, and everyone else would get one.  (There were other ways to make points, but for this purpose, the tackle seems most appropriate.)  At the end of the game the boys would stand around while all the points were added up and applaud the players with the most points.  At the end of the season the player with the most points would get a small trophy.

Mom asked brother:  "What does the guy who got tackled get?"  Brother looked confused.  Then he said:  "He got to play?"

Derick and his little friends are racking up points.  On the earthly side of the game, they get to use those points for earthly rewards:  a feeling of accomplishment, bragging rights, and grist for the grift.  Who knows what they think they'll get when they go to their Final Reward.

Did anyone see anything off in the wording of STORY # 3?

This intriguing narrative was the result of a house visit. Rafael was distant from the Lord, the church and Christians. His wife, Maribel, had come to faith and was faithfully serving the Lord at La Esperanza. So the mission team went to visit and bless them at their very poor hut (that they actually borrow because their too poor to have their own mud hut). The ministry for Rafael’s soul would not just take place at the hut, but the following day. It wasn’t until the baptism/church service that Rafael put his faith and trust in Christ. And then, like a scene out of the New Testament, his immediate confession led to his immediate baptism (consider similar stories…Acts 2:41; 8:38; 16:14-15). Praise the Lord!

The condescension just drips off my computer screen.

• Love 17

I'm guessing the married couples make close to $50,000 from TLC each season. If there are two seasons in 12 months then they make considerably more than they would make if each spouse worked a 40 hour week at an entry level job. Considering most of what they film is what they do anyway e.g. births and weddings, it's crazy to think they could be making around $100,000 a year per couple.

Even if they were making $25,000 a year they should be buying their own groceries, paying into their own health insurance, rent, utilities, phone etc.  A good portion of the American population survive on less. But then again plane tickets are expensive.

Jill & Derick may not be close to being millionaires but TLC most likely pays them enough to survive without donations.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Mollie said:

0 0 1 Derick.jpg

LOL, I did say it was their first "mission" last year. D-Wreck is D-void of the beard ATM.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

There aren't any nice, tranquil lakes or pools to do baptisms in down there? That surf looks pretty rough.

And is there a rule that you have to be picked up and dunked? Why now kneel down and wait for a wave?

• Love 4

I guess a supposed "man of God" has to immerse one? What are the qualifications of these clowns?

Reminds me of when Boob "baptized" Famy and the Howlers in the snake-infested Jordan River. So he headed up a homechurch for a few years. Big deal. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

How did we miss this? D-Wreck and crew almost drown a local teenager while apparently baptizing him during their first "mission field" stint in DA last year. 

http://www.soshope.org/about/news/

These people cannot spell to save their lives. Embarassing. FYI to SOS:  they're, their, and there are three different words. 

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

There aren't any nice, tranquil lakes or pools to do baptisms in down there? That surf looks pretty rough.

Well, there is also a dirty river in Honduras where they baptize, too.  Looks like the same kid, too.

0 0 1 Honduras River.jpg

1 minute ago, Mollie said:

Well, there is also a dirty river in Honduras where they baptize, too.  Looks like the same kid, too.

0 0 1 Honduras River.jpg

But, the missionary/tourists would rather play in the ocean when the go on the S.O.S. tours to Honduras.  Here's a picture of some of those 'dedicated' missionary tourists with S.O.S. in Honduras:

0 0 1 Honduras SOS.JPG

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, Mollie said:

0 0 1 Honduras River.jpg

But, the missionary/tourists would rather play in the ocean when the go on the S.O.S. tours to Honduras.  Here's a picture of some of those 'dedicated' missionary tourists with S.O.S. in Honduras:

0 0 1 Honduras SOS.JPG

This. This right here. It's 'hipper' to go to the ocean instead of a normal baptistry for immersion, or to sprinkle/pour.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Well, if salt repels demons and evil spirits (yeah, I watch too much "Supernatural"...), I guess an ocean baptism would be extra powerful! 

Baptism is just the excuse to explain why they are all playing around on the beach instead of "doing the work God has for us."  Seriously, shouldn't they be at least pretending to feed the hungry and clothe the poor, etc.?

I wonder if that kid's parents know that these American tourists absconded with their son, dunked him in the ocean and made him a Protestant instead of a Catholic.  Some countries have laws against proselytizing anyone under the age of 18. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I guess a supposed "man of God" has to immerse one? What are the qualifications of these clowns?

Reminds me of when Boob "baptized" Famy and the Howlers in the snake-infested Jordan River. So he headed up a homechurch for a few years. Big deal. 

Exactly what I was thinking. Apparently just anyone off the street can perform a Baptism in their religion, with no qualifications whatsoever.

• Love 2

In looking in D-Wreck's picture for Dan Dillard's regular church immersion for comparison's sake, I stumbled upon these gems: 

And the day Jill passed that half hour test: 
Edited by Sew Sumi
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

Oh Dear.

I missed this May 2016 Baptism that Derick participated in.

New score:

Derick 1

Jeremy 1

Ben 0

Things are not good for Ben.  Team Ben needs to kick it up a notch. 

Actually, Jeremy got a twofer in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-DSZXJ9IQo

He baptizes in a stock tank outside on the church lawn.  At the end of the video, he and another man baptize a teenage girl who comes out of the water like she is appearing in a wet T shirt contest.   And, the other man has his hand right on her boob!!!!

0 0 1 Vuolo Baptism.jpg

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Actually, Jeremy got a twofer in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-DSZXJ9IQo

He baptizes in a stock tank outside on the church lawn.  At the end of the video, he and another man baptize a teenage girl who comes out of the water like she is appearing in a wet T shirt contest.   And, the other man has his hand right on her boob!!!!

0 0 1 Vuolo Baptism.jpg

I missed this one!  
 Jeremy is back in the lead with TWO baptisms!!! 

Ben is way, way behind.  ;(    

• Love 1
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

And is there a rule that you have to be picked up and dunked? Why now kneel down and wait for a wave?

Ask and ye shall receive! ;)  (More information on adult immersion baptism than anyone wanted to know, but I just realized I never knew, and could nerd out):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersion_baptism

Calvinist John Piper on the topic in particular:

Piper asserts that baptism refers to the physical lowering into the water and rising in faith in part because of the reflection of this symbol in Colossians 2:12 which says "having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life."[124] Others hold that there is no evidence in the New Testament that any one mode of baptism was used.

(interestingly, John Calvin was the liberal on the topic, saying that it didn't matter what form the baptism took, just that it happened.)  Lots o'denominations apart from just the Calvinists, including Seventh Day, Sabbath Rest, Eastern Orthodox, Mormons, general Baptists, Church of Christ, some Anabaptists, Jehovah's Witnesses.  Even a claim that the Catholic catechism idealizes "triple immersion" if possible, which also sounds like a full-body dunk though I didn't research it; and is the form described as "optional, if not typical", for Anglicans, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Methodists, and Nazarenes.  The general principle seems to be - and I bet you'll never look at any baptism in the same way again - that the raising and the lowering, emulates your being lowered and raised prone out of a grave, like Christ resurrecting.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Marigold said:

Oh Dear.

I missed this May 2016 Baptism that Derick participated in.

New score:

Derick 1

Jeremy 1

Ben 0

Things are not good for Ben.  Team Ben needs to kick it up a notch. 

He could bring back infant baptism and baptize both his own children!

• Love 3
On 3/12/2017 at 5:52 AM, Mollie said:

0 0 1 Derick.jpg

I don't think that's a child.  Zoom in...to me, it looks like an old (er) woman.  She has breasts!!!  And isn't that Pastor Mike behind them?  And why is Dreck carrying her?  Isn't touching the leg and waist reserved for righteously fulfilling hey hey hey, and not baptism in the ocean?

So many questions!!!!

• Love 5

Apparently any body of water works for baptisms. We go swimming at a local reservoir in the summer, and the lifeguards are extremely strict about no swimming before they are all on duty at 10am. One morning there was a church group who had special permission to do baptisms before the reservoir officially opened, and the lifeguards had to keep getting on the PA and yelling "UNLESS YOU'RE BEING BAPTIZED, GET OUT OF THE WATER".

I looked, but there were no Duggars...I guess NJ isn't exotic enough for them. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, JoanArc said:

He could bring back infant baptism and baptize both his own children!

Well, given the very precocious ability of Gothard cult members to notice and seek escape from their mortal-sin-ridden natures -- three being an unsurprising age for this to happen, by accounts  -- he could maybe just wait for Spurgie to up and declare himself an adult-level sinner and do it then. That moment should be only about a year and a half away. 

Speaking of Spurgie, I was reading yesterday about Russell Moore, the new head of the SBC's ethics and religious liberty office, and I learned that he has a Charles Spurgeon bobblehead doll in his office. ..............They make a Charles Spurgeon bobblehead, people. 

EMLTA: They also make a Charles Spurgeon flask.     https://www.missionalwear.com/charles-spurgeon-flask-set

Color me theologically confused, once again. Also, I'm pretty tempted to buy one and mail it to Bin. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 17
51 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Speaking of Spurgie, I was reading yesterday about Russell Moore, the new head of the SBC's ethics and religious liberty office, and I learned that he has a Charles Spurgeon bobblehead doll in his office. ..............They make a Charles Spurgeon bobblehead, people. 

OMG, Bobblehead  Spurgeon has a Twitter account!

https://twitter.com/BobbleSpurgeon

• Love 7
1 hour ago, questionfear said:

I looked, but there were no Duggars...I guess NJ isn't exotic enough for them. 

Bite thy tongue.  I live next to Ocean Grove.  I don't need this dog and pony show coming to town during Camp Meeting or Youth Week. 

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Lemur said:

Bite thy tongue.  I live next to Ocean Grove.  I don't need this dog and pony show coming to town during Camp Meeting or Youth Week. 

You're good...the Duggars would never get that close to Asbury Park. Josiah might wander into a tea dance. ;)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Lemur said:

Spent many happy days between going to Asbury Park, Belmar and Bradley Beach.  My grandma once had a little house in Belmar, and then she retired to Bradley Beach.  I love me some Jersey Shore.  Walked through Ocean Grove on the boardwalk many many times.  

• Love 1