Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I'm going to guess Jill's upbringing and in this particular case, naivete, is what makes her fearful of being white over in Central America, with the tiniest bit of reality thrown in.

All the Duggars are fearful of the world at large. Michelle was afraid of New York City. They're afraid of who uses a bathroom.

The Duggar girls have expressed that they have been able to resolve and move beyond their trauma. And some folks can actually manage this. When and if the girls become mothers to female kids, I'd be on the look out for any emotional changes when their daughters are around the same age they were when the traumas occurred. If they have been suppressing and compartmentalizing it's very likely unresolved emotions will start bubbling up then.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 4

It bothered me a bit that Jill suggested couples elsewhere don't discuss the "what ifs" regarding a partner passing etc. She has got to be kidding. Such a stuck on herself little girl she is.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 6

"Wisdom and discretion for my family and myself"....

GRRRR!!!  Take English as a FIRST language class you idiot.  Sorry to nitpick like this but if one is going to pontificate and post one's thoughts on the Internet., one should know about proper usage of the language.  Okay, I'll stop now and head to the Prayer Closet.  I've got wine if anyone wants to join me. 

On 8/30/2016 at 4:16 PM, NewDigs said:

That's really a pretty cute picture and quite nicely done. Decent lighting, no observable filth. Sometimes the bar is pretty low. Still nice.

I'm not sure there is a headboard. Looks like tile-sized squares but who would...

Reminds me of that Michele Bachmann picture in which she's eating a corn dog.  I'll show myself out. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

It bothered me a bit that Jill suggested couples elsewhere don't discuss the "what ifs" regarding a partner passing etc. She has got to be kidding. Such a stuck on herself little girl she is.

Jill suffers from Duggaritis.  They have been told and taught that are different practically from birth.  They don't have the experience to see how other people live.  Jim Bob has seen to that.  Jill can only see through her tiny lens of me and Duggar. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Jill suffers from Duggaritis.  They have been told and taught that are different practically from birth.  They don't have the experience to see how other people live.  Jim Bob has seen to that.  Jill can only see through her tiny lens of me and Duggar. 

She has been taught that she needs a man to oversee her life. I bet she has no idea what to do if something happens to Derick. One assumes she would move back to JB's jurisdiction but having been away now, she may be questioning. Why should she need a dad when she has been a married person in a foreign country?

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

She has been taught that she needs a man to oversee her life. I bet she has no idea what to do if something happens to Derick. One assumes she would move back to JB's jurisdiction but having been away now, she may be questioning. Why should she need a dad when she has been a married person in a foreign country?

I don't think Jill questions much. She thought the Creation Museum ideas were all truths..even the ones that most people who believe in God dismiss as completely illogical.

So no...daddy was always right, and Derick is now her headship. Besides, even if she did want to question anything, she would gave been squashed from an early age.

• Love 2

After watching the latest episode, I was actually somewhat impressed that Derick is fairly well-spoken.  He even used the word "negate" properly in a sentence.  Or maybe it's just the stark contrast between him and the rest of the Duggars, who speak in halting, jumbled word salads that make Derick sound smarter.

• Love 7
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:34 PM, GeeGolly said:

All the Duggars are fearful of the world at large. Michelle was afraid of New York City. They're afraid of who uses a bathroom.

For someone who is afraid of New York City, Michelle seems to be here an awful lot.  It seems like every month, there is a picture of them on Fifth Avenue, 34th Street and/or the Staten Island Ferry (what is up with that).   

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

For someone who is afraid of New York City, Michelle seems to be here an awful lot.  It seems like every month, there is a picture of them on Fifth Avenue, 34th Street and/or the Staten Island Ferry (what is up with that).   

But truth be told, they're not actually interacting with those heathen, possibly gay, New Yorkers. The Duggars have handlers paid for  by tlc, People or GMA's $$ that keep all those scarey people away, far away (sarcasm)

• Love 2
On August 29, 2016 at 10:53 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

These are the kinds of pictures I enjoy seeing Jill post.  A clean and happy Izzy who looks really cute.  And, there's a clean bed with clean sheets and white bedding.  

No doubt it's an Internet FU to show us that they "do too" when it comes to having a made bed with a full set of clean sheets and coverings. Still, I'm happy to see it as long as that's goes on when they're not posting.

That pic was taken in the hotel room they're staying in.

• Love 2

On the latest episode of Counting On, Derick was sitting on the floor with Izzy, feeding him with a sippy cup.  I noticed a stack of pillows and blankets right next to them, on the floor.  Derrick's bedroll?  Remember, Jill did say "my bedroom".

I don't know how to make this old photo go away!

Here's a CO preview featuring the Dullards - again talking of the fear and danger they're experiencing, and also about how the anniversary get-away was a chance for Jill and Derick to show appreciation for each other. Jill seemed awfully sulkly in this part.

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/jill-jessa-counting-on/counting-on-videos/israel-dillard-gets-a-swimming-lesson/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=countingontlc&sf34982466=1

I'm thinking that Jill may have been raised to believe that by being faithful to Gothard, that her life would be non-stop blessings. And so the fact that she's nobody-famous in Central America and that life is rather challenging is really coming as a shock to her.

Edited by OpieTaylor
  • Love 2

I'm wondering, if it was really so dangerous would JB send his 18yo daughter (Joy) and would Gil Bates allow his daughter to go with her (can't remember the Bates girl's name)? Would a neverending parade of family members, some children, constantly jump planes to go visit? Oh wait, these are God's spechel snowflake people. Nevermind.

• Love 13

Lol, excellent point. The show itself heavily featured Boob's "missionary trips" to El Salvador in which he regularly took a lot of his children, including ones that were much, much younger than Jill and Derick. DANGER!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Aja said:

Lol, excellent point. The show itself heavily featured Boob's "missionary trips" to El Salvador in which he regularly took a lot of his children, including ones that were much, much younger than Jill and Derick. DANGER!!!!!!!!!!!

These are the same people who can't send their daughters to the grocery store or the coffee shop without a "chaperone". I'm guessing their definition of "danger" is not the same as most of ours...

One has to wonder how much it cost in donations to "save" that young man's "soul" in Danger America. Isn't he their only convert so far?

• Love 9
4 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

Here's a CO preview featuring the Dullards - again talking of the fear and danger they're experiencing, and also about how the anniversary get-away was a chance for Jill and Derick to show appreciation for each other. Jill seemed awfully sulkly in this part.

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/jill-jessa-counting-on/counting-on-videos/israel-dillard-gets-a-swimming-lesson/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=countingontlc&sf34982466=1

I'm thinking that Jill may have been raised to believe that by being faithful to Gothard, that her life would be non-stop blessings. And so the fact that she's nobody-famous in Central America and that life is rather challenging is really coming as a shock to her.

Muffy looked very sulky in that post. She had that glum look on her face, like she didn't feel well or maybe it was the Fundy Face of Disapproval.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

My DVR caught the preview, apparently shown right before 11 last night. Yawn. 

The episode description is up: More "wilderness training," the scintillating Danger America hotel 1000th honeymoon, and, to totally put us to sleep, "Jessa and Ben are amazed by how fast Spurgeon is growing."

Yes, it really said that, and it isn't the snarky Verizon one. This is straight offa Comcast. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

Wow. Derick talking about the wall? They REALLY do spend most of their lives terrified. How sad.

• Love 2

I just watched the entire second episode, and at the end, as they pan away from the Dullard house in Danger America, it scans up a 20 foot school fence on top of a wall that looked to be maybe 4 feet high. All topped with barbed wire. I also remember seeing a huge gate for car access. Their place really IS a compound. I have no idea how many other buildings are in there with them, but I am not understanding the towels and sheets on the windows, unless they get so much sun that it's not conducive for filming. I don't think any buildings on the property are THAT close to them! 

It was also telling that despite the DANGER, Dreck is still happy. Jill? She really sounds like she's trying to convince herself to be and not really succeeding. She does seem a bit more relaxed at the hotel. That would have been late June, plenty of time for a conception and pregnancy announcement when they get back home, since they announce before the pee stick is even dry. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They showed a picture during the swimming retrospective when he looked to be a tween/young teen (hard to tell because he's so tall). He was swimming backstroke in a pool without a shirt! 

I wonder what athletes would wear or how many sports would be banned if there was such a thing as the Fundy Olympics.  Swimming heats for girls in Wholesome Wear? Men wearing the singlets would work for swimming and track and field.

There were plenty of ass cracks and bulges and it looks like bikini line waxing or a full on Brazilian is mandatory for a good many defrauding sports. 

Do you think Muffy would make Izzy swim in jeans and polos?

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
Spelling police
  • Love 2

Dreck was in board shorts in that pool scene, so I imagine it will be board shorts and a tee shirt.

And no singlets for the Fundie Olympics. Those suckers show EVERYTHING. The neoprene (at least I think they were) suits worn during the short-lived "suit" era of the late aughts might work for the guys, because they were like singlets, but with less...errr....bulge showing. After being outlawed, the guys went back to the shirtless look, but the girls' suits haven't changed since forever. Skirts would ensure that no world records would ever be broken again. 

And the gymnasts??? Beach volleyball? Not for women!!!! The guys could get away with the long-pants exercises in gymnastics like pommel horse, high bar, rings, and parallel bars, and they could get away with board shorts and a tee shirt on the beach. 

8 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

I agree with the part under the link above.  Absolutely Jill thought all the trips her family took, they were world-famous. And now she's not as famous and not as stand-outish since they are family of three.

Timeline: Israel was born the beginning of April and in the clip, Jill says he's fourteen months (also known as a year and two months). Two months past April is June. Jessa is due in February of next year, meaning she was probably one month pregnant in June. In my experience, people generally tell close friends and family members (such as their sisters) as soon as they know for sure they're pregnant. (Regardless of whether she's gloating or not). So if Jill found out recently Jessa is pregnant,  that might be reason for her to be sulky. 

Also Derrick does seem to tan somewhat, but swimming in shirts is big among my friends and family who can't tan and worry about sunburn. 

2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Sunburns are a different matter entirely. One is often forced into modesty to prevent them.  However, Duggar Modesty Rules exist simply because Jeebus...because To Show Everyone How Modest We Are (whether it makes sense or not). 

I know all about Duggar modesty. Just pointing out there are other reasons to swim with a shirt. 

Once again, so much for modesty. Jill's wet tshirt was much more revealing than a ladies tankini type of bathing suit top would be.  Throw in swim shorts or a short swim skirt & she's set.  I would love for them to explain their modesty dress more in depth with us &  how they think what Jill is wearing less modest than usual swimwear could be.

ETA:  Izzy did seem to enjoy his time in the pool.  Why don't they get him a kiddie pool to swim & play in?  Good way for Mom & Dad to cool off too. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yes, that horse has been beaten to death here. The point is, the Duggars are not doing it for any concern for their skin, because Jesus will protect them from skin cancer. 

Yes.  Just look at sunburned JD and Joe in the last episode!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Once again, so much for modesty. Jill's wet tshirt was much more revealing than a ladies tankini type of bathing suit top would be.  Throw in swim shorts or a short swim skirt & she's set.  I would love for them to explain their modesty dress more in depth with us &  how they think what Jill is wearing less modest than usual swimwear could be.

ETA:  Izzy did seem to enjoy his time in the pool.  Why don't they get him a kiddie pool to swim & play in?  Good way for Mom & Dad to cool off too. 

Jill's afraid to leave the house, despite its compound aspects (locked gates, 20' fences topped w/barbed wire). No way she sits in a kiddie pool, even on the nice porch, with the Giant White Baby.

Well, yes. :)

Bringing over from the episode thread. They talked about water going out for who knows how long, etc. I wonder what the longest stretch was that they have gone without water and/or wifi. I don't see them as mutually exclusive all the time. They also haven't mentioned power, so I assume that's not an issue.

For anyone who has experience living in the area (or one like it), how is garbage handled? I wonder because they have to have a supply of disposable diapers for Izzy in anticipation of known outages. I seriously doubt they can put their bin at the curb to be picked up weekly like we do in the States. 

I have friends who keep the shades down and the curtains drawn in the summer. They don't have air conditioning and swear that by blocking out the sun their home is cooler by 10 - 15 degrees.  I'm guessing like another poster mentioned, the towels and sheets are to keep the heat out.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 5

I suppose with the a/c units, they can do that now. Who knows about the layout of their place? I live in a condo on a corner, so I only have three sides potentially exposed, and one of those faces the building next door (with maybe 10 feet between two four story buildings, lol). But yes, we have morning sun, and if I'm home, I will pull the shades around noon on hot days, of which we have had NONE this summer. 

Hence, my ignorance on this matter. I do know the other houses have special blinds put up for filming, and just thought that this is Jilly's solution for when TLC shows up and there's too much exposure in the shots. /slinks away

Townhouse with a loft bedroom...3 dormer Windows and an opposite window...in the Texas summer sun, our bedroom is like a sauna even with the blinds drawn. So blinds stay drawn.

On the show, Derick also mentioned frequent power outages. This means no fans or A/C.  I'd keep my windows covered too!

• Love 3

I have no experience with humidity, other than at night when it's cool. Wouldn't putting up towels rather than blinds (that they could get at WalMart) make it worse, or would it just suck up moisture and then make more laundry?

I'm serious. We don't have heat humidity here, and the few times I've traveled to it, I wilted. We haven't even had "dry heat" this summer. I'm in long sleeves and jeans right now, as I've been since spring. It's currently 65. It hit 70 a couple days ago. Woot! 

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, yes. :)

Bringing over from the episode thread. They talked about water going out for who knows how long, etc. I wonder what the longest stretch was that they have gone without water and/or wifi. I don't see them as mutually exclusive all the time. They also haven't mentioned power, so I assume that's not an issue.

For anyone who has experience living in the area (or one like it), how is garbage handled? I wonder because they have to have a supply of disposable diapers for Izzy in anticipation of known outages. I seriously doubt they can put their bin at the curb to be picked up weekly like we do in the States. 

I've been to El Salvador 4 times with a church group.  We, however, being heathen Catholics, run medical clinics for the poor and have also worked on water purification projects for various schools and public buildings.  We also do health education at the schools, etc. 

As far as garbage, alas, sometimes it does end up out in the road or whatever.  Most people haul theirs to the local dump.  There is also a fair amount of trash burning done by individuals.  I haven't seen regular trash pickup anyplace I've been, but we were not in the city, we worked in various small towns around the countryside. 

As far as water going out, I presume that they don't have city water (most don't), but instead have a cistern or reservoir and an electric pump to bring it into the house.  In that case, it's an electric outage that is the problem and can be solved with a generator.  For that matter, I doubt they would be drinking or cooking with water from the faucet.  Or, it's possible that it is the dry season and the cistern is close to dry; had that happen in Peru once and went a week without showering. Most foreigners would only drink bottled water anyway because of the risk of parasites.  Most have water-cooler type things which wouldn't be affected by power outages.  My church has paid to install water purification units in the church as well as some schools, etch.  It costs about 10 grand initially and requires someone know how to check the water quality, keep things running, add chemicals.  We taught a couple of priests how to do it and they take care of it for all the sites and are training locals, too.  Just takes a few minutes every week or two,  No reason that SOS couldn't do something similar.

As far as Jill's fears, El Salvador has a lot of crime, mostly involving rather violent gangs.  The government is corrupt and doesn't do much about it.  The bad guys are worse in the cities although they often go out into the countryside to hide from the cops or other bad guys.  Our group stayed inside after dark and ,even at our clinics, we have a cop armed with an automatic rifle.  I don't think things have gotten any more dangerous, but they aren't any less, either.  Interestingly, the priests, all Americans, go everywhere by themselves and are generally left alone.  However, they aren't sent down there unless they are fluent in Spanish and, also, they work at integrating themselves into the community and helping the people.  The priests tell me that even the bad guys respect the fact that they pay for shoes for school kids, get clean water for the kids, pay for meds for the elderly.  The fact that Jill and Derek and their group seemingly don't speak much Spanish, contribute nothing meaningful to the community and keep themselves isolated might be a big factor in why Jill doesn't feel so safe.

There is also that great big elephant in the room: Zika.  El Salvador is not safe and the CDC recommends avoiding pregnancy and/or using condoms if pregnant.  Even the Catholic Church down there has said its ok to contracept to avoid it.  Perhaps Jilly's headship has decided to use condoms and she's worried that she is going to miss out on the race to have a litter?  Of course, she could never say such a thing on TV; nor could she announce a pregnancy that happened in Central America without someone asking about it And, even the worst leghumpers would have to be wondering if it was God's plan for them to expose their fetus to a deadly virus. Best to avoid the topic altogether and make up an excuse to get home and stay there so the babymaking can commence.

• Love 23
8 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Best to avoid the topic altogether and make up an excuse to get home and stay there so the babymaking can commence.

One has to wonder if they know about the current recommendation of waiting at least six months to get pregnant after returning from Danger America. One also has to wonder if they will bother getting tested for the disease.

Welcome back, Doodlebug! It's great to see you!

• Love 5