Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

They're probably too cheap to throw in the paper bag I'd have to put over Derick's Frankenstein face.

I think the real reason they've gone on an "overseas" mission is to hide from the results of Derick's surgery. (yes, mean me) But really I wish they'd talk about it so I could sympathize with whatever he's going through but to not acknowledge his obvious struggle with something that changed his features so radically is odd. 

• Love 1

Just when I think this group can't get any greedier.......

Does it dawn on them that you can say good-bye and thanks for supporting to us people without food?  How about supplying coffee, tea, and lemonade?  Won't cost you much and instead of having a mouth full of free food, you could actually converse with them.

The stupid, it burns.

And they don't attend a church so I really hope this church is charging them for use of their space.

The greed, it burns.

• Love 3

And they don't attend a church so I really hope this church is charging them for use of their space.

It the church that Jill and Derick attend. It gives them cover for their true beliefs. They cover some of the cost of the mission. They openly blessed Jill and Derick's mission. I'm sure it was free of the Duggars wouldn't have done it.

• Love 2

Im starting to think,the only time the school books came out was when the Tlc camera men were there,it would be very telling to submit all the kids to a basic iq test,I have a feeling some are bordering on special needs.

There is a huge difference between an IQ test and the testing they'd be expected to pass in school. With the exception of Josie, I doubt any of the Duggar broods are truly Special Needs. They're all likely of average intelligence. Never confuse being sheltered with being addled minded; they are capable, they've just never had to. 

• Love 5

It the church that Jill and Derick attend. It gives them cover for their true beliefs. They cover some of the cost of the mission. They openly blessed Jill and Derick's mission. I'm sure it was free of the Duggars wouldn't have done it.

I didn't realize they attended a church.  Thanks for the clarification.

I'm hoping all their donors are in that room!

And on your ex-roommate's reception plans. Yeesh. ... I guess the church potluck for funerals has now completely slipped over into weddings. Somebody in my family did this, with full church participation, and it seemed outrageous to me. ... Plus, they went on a cabin-camping honeymoon and had so much (good) wedding food left over that they could take it along and not spend a dime on food for the whole honeymoon. And, like the Dillards, they're almost certainly way better off than most of the people who brought them food (who'd also given presents, of course). I thought they were an annoying aberration, but guess not.

Incredible. I think it's really true. There are two kinds of people in the world - Givers and Takers.

• Love 3

The people who participate in these "pot luck" dinners for the Smuggars need their heads examined. It never ceases to amaze me how they just continue to show that they have no class and are the biggest moochers.

• Love 2

They have to provide activities for the TLC camera crews to shoot. Footage for their VSE's. The announced specials are *not* supposed to be about all 19 Kids and their life in the TTH, but about Jill and Jessa and their spouses. So it's not like TLC can just set up a crew at the TTH and shoot the chaos. (Although I'm sure Boob would be happy if they did that, so he can sit in front of their camera flapping his mouth all the time, like he did in the Good Old Days before Josh ruined things.)

Although, since Jessa just posts selfies and Bible rants, and Jill's leaving the country, and Bin doesn't work, I have no bloody idea what TLC's going to show them doing. Someone mentioned a trip to a fundy amusement park, which I assume was some lame attempt to get some footage in the can before the Dullards go back "overseas." It all seems like kind of a yawner to me. The only interesting thing would be Jessa's labor (and I hope she's wiser than Jill, and has a safe delivery minus the scary risky dramatics).

Completely agree. What is TLC going to find to film? Just a lot of contrived situations I'm sure - camera fodder. This plane is on fire already and it hasn't even left the ground yet...

• Love 10

Act like you've been somewhere, Duggars!

It is amazing to me that the Duggars' extended family or friends do not sit them down and tell them their behavior is inappropriate at best. One has to wonder if Mary or derickdillardduggar's family cringes every time they see yet another instance of "we're backyard people". Uh, "backyard people" most likely have better manners than the Duggars. Three days' notice for a party? Really? Extended family members might have a problem with 72 hours' notice of anything, let alone the "financial partners". In other words, they were more worried about the media finding out about their little shindig than those who might actually be interested in attending.

We're not opposed to potluck meals on the whole. It costs money to feed a bunch of people, and it's better to get together for some fun with friends or whatever than a big catered thing. We don't mind showing up at whatever with a dish to share. This, though -- do the Duggars pay for anything at all? Seriously. If most of the attendees were family members, why wouldn't they be providing at the very least a main dish and beverages and requesting sides or salads? Why should everyone else have to feed them?

One can only imagine how those who've actually "been somewhere" and work in the media react when greeted by the grifting, grasping Duggar family.

• Love 3

It will be interesting to see how the TLC cameramen filmed this "event". Were they kind and went with tight shots where you aren't able to see much? Or did they go wide to accurately represent the party?

John Rotan was reportedly there, he's usually second unit camera to Scott Enlow first. The pics posted by the Duggars are grainier than the 'Kate Middleton bottomless' photos, I can't really tell the balding men apart.

It took a crew of seven to film Benessa's honeymoon.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

I'm not opposed to potluck either. I love potluck. Potluck means I get compliments on my food without having to shine up the house for company and I can leave the mess behind me when I go (although I usually end up helping with the dishes anyway). But then, I'm not inviting people to travel to where I am so I can thank them for giving me and my able-bodied, college-educated husband money so we could go on a vacation which, as it turns out, was already being paid for by the people filming my TV special.

And I bring food. Just like the folks who attended did, which proves that it's not their community which is tacky, it's Jill.

All they had to serve was coffee and some cake form (I know where they can find some only slightly stale donuts).

Edited by Julia
  • Love 14

So true. Wasn't it at Jill's wedding where the Littles were doing a TH and said they hadn't eaten anything but cake? I mean, damn, no one thought to bring a cooler full of sandwiches so the kids weren't overdosing on sugar? Given how anemic Jordan and Josie look it wouldn't surprise me if they got the short end of the stick in terms of the food rations.

I think it was actually one of the rehearsal dinners hosted by whichever in-laws it was, where they had actual food in available. In Jenny's TH she said, "I didn't even get a cup of water."

This is what kills me -- the food was there. And it didn't occur to the parents to, like, serve some of it to their younger kids. I'm sure it never once entered Michelle's mind that this would be her responsibility.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 14

Didn't Joy take over Jill's buddy team? Tsk, tsk. Joy needs to get on the ball, because we all know that Michelle isn't going to attend to her own children even though she literally only has four children still under the age of 10.   

Well, that explains it. This group is too small for her even to notice them. She only deals with large crowds.

• Love 2

So, basically this was "Please come to our party so we can thank you for your support. Oh, and bring your own food and enough for the rest of us." That's the kind of thank you that ...isn't.

I come from a tradition where the church ladies still put out a spread after a funeral (mmm, pie), so I am not unfamiliar with the church potluck, but this is something else. What do you want to bet they didn't bring something to their own potluck?

• Love 6

Nooooooo!I

I forgot about Prancer.

donotclickdonotclickdonotclick...

TaterTot casserole gives me heartburn. But a good chicken noodle casserole with crumbled potato chips on top? I'm there.

Everyone, please stop posting that video. My curiosity can only be contained for so long and if I click on that I can't unsee it. I will hold all of you responsible for my nightmares.

Everyone should see it at least once.

Honest.

• Love 4

Everyone, please stop posting that video. My curiosity can only be contained for so long and if I click on that I can't unsee it. I will hold all of you responsible for my nightmares.

Oh, it's not really scary. She's just a sort of misfit lady who has a big big enthusiasm. She's like those poor maladjusted kids in grade school who always have their coats buttoned on the wrong buttons and entertain themselves by talking like rabbits. It's just that the poor dear is grown up.

ETA: And, really, if we're honest with ourselves, I expect that a lot of us other adults probably secretly think that moving like a horse would be fun, too.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8

I'm not opposed to potluck either. I love potluck. Potluck means I get compliments on my food without having to shine up the house for company and I can leave the mess behind me when I go (although I usually end up helping with the dishes anyway). But then, I'm not inviting people to travel to where I am so I can thank them for giving me and my able-bodied, college-educated husband money so we could go on a vacation which, as it turns out, was already being paid for by the people filming my TV special.

And I bring food. Just like the folks who attended did, which proves that it's not their community which is tacky, it's Jill.

All they had to serve was coffee and some cake form (I know where they can find some only slightly stale donuts).

Just a thought. Paying it forward (or backward) would have been going to Krispy Kreme and buying fresh donuts to serve their guests. Patronizing a vendor any vendor they helped themselves to in a big way would have been the right thing to do or paying the church volunteers which benefits the church to do something is pretty standard too. Dill and/or production just could have written the check.

• Love 8

Marge this is your conscious speaking...... Press play, it'll be fun, go ahead one look won't hurt...

• Love 6

I will give them a partial pass on the pot-luck. If they had put together a nice spread, people would have been (justifyably, in my opinion) annoyed that they were spending mission money on a party.

Personally, I think that the person who issued the invitation -- whether that was Jill and Derick themselves or family members -- should have been responsible for the main course, and guests asked to bring salads, drinks, or dessert. I also think it would have been smart for Jill and Derick to bring a speciality of their new host country.

• Love 5

Yeah, if we were talking prime rib and lobsters I can see people criticizing, but I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelash over some deli trays and soft drinks. I have nothing against potluck, but IMO it's not appropriate for a party where the guests are people who have already given you money. The Duggars better smarten up because their crowd of leghumpers is running thin as it is. They keep up with this grifting shit and the Dullards will be collecting cans to fund their missioncation.

• Love 13

They could have simply had a coffee/tea and cookies kind of event, no need at all for a complete meal. And provided the coffee/tea and snacks themselves, without hounding their guests to pitch in. I doubt any donors who attended would be upset by them spending money for a modest level of refreshments. 

I can't say that I disagree with you, but for the sake of argument I will say this -- most of us learn these sorts of things from our parents. I watched my parents, grandparents, and aunts and uncles host any number of parties, and I also attended events hosted by neighbors and friends when I was growing up. The Duggar parents are lazy grifters and I seriously doubt that they have ever held a dinner party, and they certainly have never hosted a birthday party for one of their children. The first party they put on was Jill's wedding which was a pretty sad affair. I just don't think she knows any better.

• Love 8

If they are collecting money they should have some sort of a board.  Doesn't look like they do.

At least they are not having TLC's Craft Services providing all the food.  And how do you know how many people to provide for at these things?  Two people could mean 10.  

• Love 2

I feel like The Dullards spent 2 days in Central America, but spent the past 5 months bragging about it.

JoeJitsu913 for the win! You've summarized everything that is wrong with this family in one sentence. You can officially drop the mic and walk offstage.

• Love 12

I can't say that I disagree with you, but for the sake of argument I will say this -- most of us learn these sorts of things from our parents.The Duggar parents are lazy grifters and I seriously doubt that they have ever held a dinner party, and they certainly have never hosted a birthday party for one of their children. The first party they put on was Jill's wedding which was a pretty ,sad affair. I just don't think she knows any better.

I agree. But I think that the Duggars altogether are lazy beggars and thieves and utterly lack empathy and, at Jill's age, that kind of goes for her, too. I didn't see parties or dinners or guests in the house when I was a kid and I wasn't a guest myself either. I expect that I was considerably more lacking in that kind of experience than even the Duggars (although I wasn't brought up by grifters -- only antisocial ungenerous angry crazy people). Nevertheless, I've always known how to be a reasonable host in the hand out food kind of way, despite being a complete social disaster in most other ways. Magazines are published that show this to be the done thing. A whole person has empathy for somebody being invited over and not given any food or, worse, being ordered to bring food to you. People who give parties like the Duggars do are just jerks -- and that goes for the now-adult children as well, in my opinion.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

Wow. I didn't think about the fact that they are probably traveling on tourist visas with time limits on how long they can stay in the country. Fortunately, based on their performance thus far, I don't think we have to worry about them overstaying their 90-day visas! HA! 

According to that article, in the past three months the Dillards have only spent 6 weeks in Central America.  (A tourist visa is good for 90 days.)  They have to have a worker's visa or a religious worker's visa to actually move there, open a bank account, buy or import a car, etc.  They really can't do much on just a tourist visa.

• Love 9

Apparently, the Cross Church does NOT financially support the Dillards because they do not qualify to be Baptist missionaries.  The church pastor is responsible for distributing millions of dollars to missionaries every year and the Dillards are not approved to receive anything! 

http://www.inquisitr.com/2473939/jill-duggar-and-derick-dillard-rejected-as-missionaries-by-southern-baptist-church

I think Jill and Derick just like to make it look like their church supports them to give them credibility.  Funny thing is, they can't get more than a 90-day tourist visa to Central America. Without being financially supported by a church, they can't qualify as religious workers in Honduras, Guatemala or El Salvador.  If they don't qualify as religious workers, they are not real foreign missionaries!

Whoa, I stand corrected. Anyone want to bet they still grift Cross' congregation for cash? Isn't it's pastor head of the SBC? I'd imagine if they're not going for money, they're going to cozy up to him. I'd have thought that blessing the ministry up on the big stage meant financial support, but I guess not.

And bless the media for digging deeper. I'm sure Derrick will be pick up a (used!) new car in El Salvador with donation money, so they can stay longer.

• Love 3

Didn't we already know they wouldn't qualify as missionaries? I thought their work-around was that they were going to be SOS employees, and their job would be organizing and guiding the missioncationers. Then they might qualify for work visas. I thought it was problematic that they don't actually speak Spanish, much less any of the local languages, but I didn't think it was this level of deception.

What gets me is, it wouldn't be that hard for them to do the work to become actual missionaries. Derek would need about a year, year and a half to do the coursework and Jill, who only has to qualify as a missionary spouse, could do her required courses in the same time period. At a junior college, even. Possibly on-line, at least some of it. So why don't they do that? That might be moderately interesting television -- watching them get ready, practicing their Spanish everywhere, figuring out how to dispose of their stuff while they're gone, discussing their kids' educational needs, saying goodbye for real. Mixed in with Jessa's baby and whoever they can scare up a courtship for, that has some potential. So why don't they do that?

No, I can guess why. They don't really want it. They'd have to go where they're sent and stay there, live in less luxurious surroundings, and actually work. Derick may be up for that but I doubt Jill is. (Also, they might be forced to use non-Gothard approved materials.)

• Love 6

Didn't we already know they wouldn't qualify as missionaries? I thought their work-around was that they were going to be SOS employees, and their job would be organizing and guiding the missioncationers. Then they might qualify for work visas. I thought it was problematic that they don't actually speak Spanish, much less any of the local languages, but I didn't think it was this level of deception.

What gets me is, it wouldn't be that hard for them to do the work to become actual missionaries. Derek would need about a year, year and a half to do the coursework and Jill, who only has to qualify as a missionary spouse, could do her required courses in the same time period. At a junior college, even. Possibly on-line, at least some of it. So why don't they do that? That might be moderately interesting television -- watching them get ready, practicing their Spanish everywhere, figuring out how to dispose of their stuff while they're gone, discussing their kids' educational needs, saying goodbye for real. Mixed in with Jessa's baby and whoever they can scare up a courtship for, that has some potential. So why don't they do that?

No, I can guess why. They don't really want it. They'd have to go where they're sent and stay there, live in less luxurious surroundings, and actually work. Derick may be up for that but I doubt Jill is. (Also, they might be forced to use non-Gothard approved materials.)

Oh, it's not a matter of "want".  They're Duggars, God's chosen people.  Rules and laws don't apply to them.  

• Love 2

Wow. Busted. Derick's as much of a grifter as Jim Bob. The article really lays out some facts. Such as these (I added the bolding for emphasis):

• Derick posted a photo on Instagram with this as the entire message: “We are so grateful for the support of our church fellowship Cross Church as we were officially commissioned during the morning service today.”

• But he admitted on their blog that this was just a prayer: “Just this past weekend, we were commissioned to the mission field by our home church. The commissioning consisted of our pastor leading the congregation in praying for our family as we work on the mission field.”

I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of it all, but unless someone can post authority to the contrary, I think Derick just plain lied on Instagram. "Officially commissioned" may or may not be a term with actual meaning in the SBC missionary world, but its plain meaning as he used it on Instagram, is that they were officially authorized by that church to be missionaries. 

Then, he backed off that and wrote on their blog that, well, really, by "commissioned" he just meant that the pastor lead a prayer for them.

Big difference. What a lying scam artist. He should be ashamed. But oh no, he's all into how he and Jilly are devoted and dedicated to the Word of the Lord in all their doings, and can barely seem to post anything without a load of holy preachy rigamarole in it. I'm sure he's really full of himself and how extraspecialholy he is in all things and how he's called to save the rest of us from sin.

Maybe Derick will learn from this little slipup on social media, and get better at working his scam.

I think he could have a bright future if he can keep his story straight. Because the faithful are always generous to a con artist who can talk a good Christian spiel. I'm old, and I pay attention to the news. I can't count all the stories I've seen about men who swindled millions of dollars from fellow Christian church members. They appeared devout, and of course they talked the talk, and I'm sure their marks felt guided by the Lord to hand their life savings over to those guys as an "investment." And of course those guys were running Ponzi schemes at best, or just living large on the proceeds at worst.

Derick's a real piece of work, too.  Here's an article which gives some of his background: http://www.inquisitr.com/2443503/jill-duggar-asked-to-return-donations-by-angry-supporters-of-dillard-family-ministries

Scroll down to the bottom of that page at start reading with the paragraph which begins: "Looking back at Derick Dillard’s history"

His equivocating about what exactly he does in "the mission field" is his modus operandi.  Remember that his training is as an accountant.  Accountants count money.  That's a real clue to how he thinks.

Also, there is a post (I think it is on their blog) which explains that Derick first went to the Duggar family home before he went to Nepal.  He apparently was with a group of Christmas carolers. The weird thing is that he was with a group from Rogers, AR, which is about a 30-minute drive from Tontitown. And, the Duggar home is not exactly in a main subdivision; it's really off-the-beaten-track.  He went there deliberately staking (or stalking) them out.  Then, he goes to Nepal and (out of the blue) emails Jim Bob to ask for financial/prayer support.  He targeted that family from the beginning. 

He went with Jill and the Duggar family on one of their visits to Central America with SOS Ministries.  I think that's where he got the idea to go there and put together "religious tourism" events just like SOS.  SOS brings in almost $2 million a year in revenue: http://www.nonprofitfacts.com/FL/S-O-S-Ministries-Inc.html

According to the article I posted above, what Derick was actually doing in Nepal was leading tourist groups.

• Love 19

I get an abusive and controlling vibe from Derrick.  The staking out of JB as a 'prayer partner' was I think the staking out of a Duggar submissive wife from (at the time) Duggar TLC money. I think JB was conned.  

• Love 6

I get an abusive and controlling vibe from Derrick.  The staking out of JB as a 'prayer partner' was I think the staking out of a Duggar submissive wife from (at the time) Duggar TLC money. I think JB was conned.

Is it wrong that the idea of JB getting conned makes me laugh?

• Love 19

John Rotan was reportedly there, he's usually second unit camera to Scott Enlow first. The pics posted by the Duggars are grainier than the 'Kate Middleton bottomless' photos, I can't really tell the balding men apart.

It took a crew of seven to film Benessa's honeymoon.

I'll bet it was more like a crew of 7 who wanted to see Paris - LOL. The honeymoon was just a way to get there on TLC's dime...

• Love 4

The thought of Jim Bob being conned makes me ridiculously happy. So does the outing of the "missionaries."

• Love 11

I get an abusive and controlling vibe from Derrick.  The staking out of JB as a 'prayer partner' was I think the staking out of a Duggar submissive wife from (at the time) Duggar TLC money. I think JB was conned.  This 

This opens up a whole new can of creepy! So their "story" is just a bunch of fairy tales posted on a blog to perpetuate the ideal that Gothard has set up. Truly sad, bad and every other adjective we can think of.

I enjoyed reading the Twitter comments in that article. I especially like the comment that said instead of giving monies to The Dullards, take that money and buy supplies to donate to a homeless shelter! You can even get many things for free if you coupon no need to spend a lot of money to make an impact vs. scamming people for a free vacation!

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 10

Apparently, the Cross Church does NOT financially support the Dillards because they do not qualify to be Baptist missionaries.  The church pastor is responsible for distributing millions of dollars to missionaries every year and the Dillards are not approved to receive anything! 

http://www.inquisitr.com/2473939/jill-duggar-and-derick-dillard-rejected-as-missionaries-by-southern-baptist-church

I think Jill and Derick just like to make it look like their church supports them to give them credibility.  Funny thing is, they can't get more than a 90-day tourist visa to Central America. Without being financially supported by a church, they can't qualify as religious workers in Honduras, Guatemala or El Salvador.  If they don't qualify as religious workers, they are not real foreign missionaries!

Well, that certainly answers the question we've discussed here before: How the heck could Cross Church be supporting them when the SBC has its own very specific missionary program.

And when you put it together with the earlier Inquisitr story (September 23) *about Derick being in Nepal on a student visa rather than a work visa -- which meant that he couldn't legally work in Nepal -- it really makes you wonder what his deal with missions really is. It's been widely stated that he was working under SBC auspices in Nepal, but with a student visa that seems unlikely to me, although who knows, maybe that's the way beginners are handled in the missionary game? Anyway, that article also noted that Derick's LInkedIn didn't say he was a missionary in Nepal but a "volunteer coordinator" who organized trips for other groups. (I'd link to it but my computer is currently going insane.) ... Kind of looks as if Derick may not yet have managed to link up securely with any actual legit missionary job. ... Although I guess that shouldn't be surprising in somebody who wanted JIm Bob as his missionary prayer partner.

Okay, my computer has graciously allowed me to get a link to the Google cache of that story. Thanks, computer.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2443503/jill-duggar-asked-to-return-donations-by-angry-supporters-of-dillard-family-ministries/

Okay, I notice that I'm late out of the gate with this one. The story's well worth a read. Shows his LinkedIn and some of his tweets, too. There didn't seem to be much missionary about his whole Nepal enterprise, although it looks like nobody really knows who was sponsoring him or what exactly he did, so it could still turn out to be related to some "mission" or other. The article also mentions that Nepal, like central America, has a lot of missioncation and other mission-related scams, although it doesn't give any details about that.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8

Well, that certainly answers the question we've discussed here before: How the heck could Cross Church be supporting them when the SBC has its own very specific missionary program.

And when you put it together with the earlier Inquisitr story (September 23) *about Derick being in Nepal on a student visa rather than a work visa -- which meant that he couldn't legally work in Nepal -- it really makes you wonder what his deal with missions really is. It's been widely stated that he was working under SBC auspices in Nepal, but with a student visa that seems unlikely to me, although who knows, maybe that's the way beginners are handled in the missionary game? Anyway, that article also noted that Derick's LInkedIn didn't say he was a missionary in Nepal but a "volunteer coordinator" who organized trips for other groups. (I'd link to it but my computer is currently going insane.) ... Kind of looks as if Derick may not yet have managed to link up securely with any actual legit missionary job. ... Although I guess that shouldn't be surprising in somebody who wanted JIm Bob as his missionary prayer partner.

Okay, my computer has graciously allowed me to get a link to the Google cache of that story. Thanks, computer.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2443503/jill-duggar-asked-to-return-donations-by-angry-supporters-of-dillard-family-ministries/

My head is ready to explode, another low life in the Duggar Family

• Love 9

Yeah, if we were talking prime rib and lobsters I can see people criticizing, but I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelash over some deli trays and soft drinks. I have nothing against potluck, but IMO it's not appropriate for a party where the guests are people who have already given you money. The Duggars better smarten up because their crowd of leghumpers is running thin as it is. They keep up with this grifting shit and the Dullards will be collecting cans to fund their missioncation.

Good points. Although I think none of us were surprised to hear about the details of this thank-you-for-giving-us-money-now-we-need-your-food party, it does make me think that Boob Et Al are even less intelligent than we thought. He has GOT to realize, or at least GUESS, that the leg-humper support has dwindled somewhat with the Josh relevations. If he's even a little smart, he'll stick a crowbar in his well-packed wallet and start cultivating their ever-shrinking pool of fans. The longer he does, the better [for them]. Although I still think this whole thing is only a year out from totally going down in flames.

• Love 12