Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

It's been over a month; shouldn't the swelling be down by now? I realize Jill took the picture at that angle to mitigate the odd, new face shape, but even with that and the beard, it's still quite pronounced. 

I guess I'm hard on derickdillard because he's not my type. At all. However, any goodwill I might have had for him really dissipated during Catgate. I just can't with people who are insensitive toward animals. 

• Love 11
(edited)

Hey I'm a sucker for a manly man with a beard as in Clint Eastwood's look in Sergio Leone's Spaghetti Western Man With No Name trilogy. He is downright sexy no matter what decade you're in, especially with that hat, cigar, and poncho -- I swoon!

But poor Derick looks anything but that. He looks like a scrawny (please cover up those gangly arms!), pasty, unkept man. He needs to get out in the sun more and maybe do something to build a little muscle tone. He looks unhealthy to me.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 5

It's been over a month; shouldn't the swelling be down by now? I realize Jill took the picture at that angle to mitigate the odd, new face shape, but even with that and the beard, it's still quite pronounced. 

I guess I'm hard on derickdillard because he's not my type. At all. However, any goodwill I might have had for him really dissipated during Catgate. I just can't with people who are insensitive toward animals.

I forgot about the dental surgery, I'll bet that's why he grew out the scruff (I personally hated the patchy scruff) and opted for a beard to cover his face. His mouth still looks strange and out of whack, I hope it goes back to normal for him.

Yeah SewSumi, I'm not a fan of Derick either. I'm still smarting from Cat-Gate, and I don't like people who are cruel or harmful toward any living creature. I can still see him making contact with that cat sliding down the hill and the kids yelling "Get 'em!" and laughing.

• Love 3

This is a personal bias based on the experience my SIL had.  Pulling teeth to align the mouth is not always the way to go.  My daughter inherited the same jaw problem SIL had and I was adamant we weren't fixing it the same way.  SIL ended up having plastic surgery because she was so displeased with her results.  I hope Derick doesn't end up in that boat. 

They never said anything about getting teeth yanked. He just showed up at the hospital the day they took Jill home with braces on. I'm sure the appointment was planned out months in advance, knowing he'd be on leave at that time, but there's nothing to indicate he had teeth pulled. When would he have had time that week while Jill was hospitalized after the c-section? 

We do know that he had the jaw surgery at the very beginning of May, a little less than a month after the braces were put on. Maybe he had teeth pulled sometime in between, and that is part of the reason he's no longer employed at Wally World? That last bit is pure speculation and snark. In reality, who knows about either the teeth or his employment situation?

I can't even tell that there's any difference in Derick.  But he's always been aesthetically unpleasing to my eye.  From the angle of the camera, some of his bone structure looks a bit better, but it looks like all camera angles and shadows.  It's really poor lighting.  

Somewhere I read that he had teeth removed along with the jaw surgery and due to the whole Duggar mess I no longer remember where.  It's always possible they were mistaken.

Wow, I had the opposite reaction. Derrick looks like a disgusting serial killer in that picture. Does he bathe?

Yeah.  Not a good look for him.  He sure doesn't look like someone I would let near my kid.

Since I was out of the loop here when Josh's "scandal" broke, was it ever said when Jill and/or Jessa told their spouses of the molestation before it went public? Before marriage? Or were Derick & Ben not allowed to be in on the Duggar closet of skeletons & they found out a day or two before it was released? I'm sure if they were told, it was the glossed over version "we have forgiven & forgot all about it" one, not the one that involved police & social services reports.

I just remembered not much can be discussed while courting with chaperones listening in especially this topic, but wonder if Jill had a question or two about family secrets on her long list of questions her & Derick discussed while Skyping. Oops, forgot Boob & MEchelle were around when they Skyped. So I guess I answered my own questions.

• Love 2

We've speculated, of course, about how much the spouses knew. If they had a sit-down with the parents and the girls and the finances, it didn't make TV time. It should have been addressed, but with someone monitoring Skype and texts or Jackson/Joy/J/J/J sitting right there with them... Probably not. And if they did have that rare moment when they weren't monitored, it's not as if they could pounce on that subject and get their faces straight before the moment passed and chaperone controls were back. Even if the girls put it behind them, forgave and moved on, it would have been an ENORMOUSLY upsetting convo for them to have, and for the guys to hear. And truthfully, to drop a bomb like that, I personally would have needed to know someone much better than either of them knew their husbands pre-wedding. They hadn't really BONDED because of all the ground interference (like normal couples DO). None of them ever got surprised at work, none of them ever snuggled on the couch without eyeballs ON, they never went to sleep with their cell phones arguing "no, I love YOU more...". For both of them, it would have been (for ME, I realize) like marrying an acquaintance. So no, I don't think there was ever a soul baring talk between the girls and spouses until after marriage. But again, that's just my theory.

• Love 5

There is supposed to be this whole confession thing that happens at the start of courtship with the two young people sitting down with each other and their parents in order to talk about all of the heavy stuff and confess to everything.  I've read about this from male ex fundies and Anna stated that Josh did this.  I assume the girls do it too?  At least, I hope they do.  Not so they can 'confess' all the ridiculous stuff like having random impure sex thought, but so at least some of the heavy stuff can be discussed.  

I forgot about the dental surgery, I'll bet that's why he grew out the scruff (I personally hated the patchy scruff) and opted for a beard to cover his face. His mouth still looks strange and out of whack, I hope it goes back to normal for him.

Yeah SewSumi, I'm not a fan of Derick either. I'm still smarting from Cat-Gate, and I don't like people who are cruel or harmful toward any living creature. I can still see him making contact with that cat sliding down the hill and the kids yelling "Get 'em!" and laughing.

Me too and if given the chance I would send him and anyone else who thought it was funny into rush hour traffic. World class scum.

Me too and if given the chance I would send him and anyone else who thought it was funny into rush hour traffic. World class scum.

What happened?? Cruelty to animals??? This whole thing just gets more and more blessed.

(edited)

What happened?? Cruelty to animals??? This whole thing just gets more and more blessed.

A video was posted this past winter of Bin pushing Derrick down a hill and directly into a cat that was sitting nearby. The fuckheads all thought it was so hilarious that the cat was hit and ran away.

https://youtu.be/r3BRkkRioxE

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 1
(edited)

A video was posted this past winter of Derrick pushing Ben down a hill and directly into a cat that was sitting nearby. The fuckheads all thought it was so hilarious that the cat was hit and ran away.

https://youtu.be/r3BRkkRioxE

That was utterly lovely. Especially the demented giggle. It wasn't even an accident--it was set up deliberately.  Tormenting cats for Jesus, how special. What pure hearts. What strong character. Word of God. Praise be.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 6

It's a guy holding his baby. Doesn't really appear any more or less than that to me. But then, I'm old. ;)

He looks like most of my male cousins.  They have all grown beards in the past year or two and dress just about exactly like that.  None of them are serial killers, as far as I know.  He looks like a young father reading a bible board book to his baby. 

The criticism of this photo is the kind of thing that makes Duggar supporters not take real criticism seriously.

• Love 14

True enough in the early years, for sure. But in the TTH? In the last 10 years? "Making enough" surely must have been covered. Even if all it meant was to follow the box's directions - for the entire package. I'm beginning to think Jill's "Oh dear, how do I make just 3 servings?" was contrived blather for the cameras. Instead of showing her to be competent enough to put a meal together herself - if she is that is - the geniuses at TLC thought making her bumble around needing her sister's help was better. Honestly, TLC is raising "feeble" to new heights every day.

I was getting a Cat Stevens-Kenny Loggins-Dan Fogelberg-in-the-70s kind of vibe from this particular shot myself.

I can agree with the resemblance to Kenny and Dan but no way does he look remotely like 70s Cat Stevens (my crush back then! ) :)

I can agree with the resemblance to Kenny and Dan but no way does he look remotely like 70s Cat Stevens (my crush back then! ) :)

I agree.  Cat Stevens in the 70's would have been on the People Magazine Sexiest Man list.

I am with GEML- Derick just looks like a guy holding his baby to me, but I am also "old". 

• Love 5

I never seen the cat hit I watched that video about 10 times. It looks like tale car ran right before derrick would have hit it

I don't think that's the concern so much, as the fact that he was trying to hit the cat and was enjoying the challenge. I don't trust people who show that little regard/that much disdain for animals.

• Love 19
(edited)

My concern was definitely more around the deliberate aiming for the cat (who could have been badly hurt or even killed if Ben had slammed directly into it) and the demented glee demonstrated by all when the frightened, defenseless animal leaped out of the way in shocked surprise.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 15

Ben is the one who pushed derrick down the hill so why does derrick get the heat? It's a cat that was in the way 9 out of 10 the cat isn't stupid enough to stand there and be hit, they are usually smart enough to run

Ben is the one who pushed derrick down the hill so why does derrick get the heat? It's a cat that was in the way 9 out of 10 the cat isn't stupid enough to stand there and be hit, they are usually smart enough to run

I would say Derrick is getting his share of the heat on this because we are on the Derrick forum? 

1 out of 10 chance of maiming/killing the cat is still too high for my standards, but I understand you have your own. 

• Love 19
(edited)

Sorry MrsMommy, I thought it was Derick pushing Ben down the hill. I stand corrected. And yes, cats are smart enough to get out of the way and run like that cat did. I'm just having trouble finding the good, wholesome Christian value in deliberately aiming your sled so that you can hit a cat, or even scare a cat. That's what was going on, as evidenced by the camerawoman's hysterical giggling. I hear them talk about how much they love Jesus, but their actions often don't reflect this. In this instance, they are not showing a ton of respect for a life God created. Just holding them up to their own standards.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 23

What adults think it's funny to aim a sled with an adult male on it at an animal?  They aren't six any more.  They are way old enough to know better.  Even if they aren't mature enough to avoid the act, surely they should know enough not to post the video online when they are a TV family. 

• Love 20

That was utterly lovely. Especially the demented giggle. It wasn't even an accident--it was set up deliberately.  Tormenting cats for Jesus, how special. What pure hearts. What strong character. Word of God. Praise be.

It's all new to those two. You not supposed to sled over animals, and you're supposed to use the old campaign signs for sledding. The cookie sheets are solely for baking cookies for firemen.
  • Love 2

Serial killer? Doesn't bathe? The fuck did this guy do? He's holding his damn son. 

I don't have a problem with the way he is holding his son.  I don't think he looks like he is about to murder his child but he totally looks like the kind of guy who would be lurking in a parking garage ready to leap out and rape and murder me.  All of the elements are present:  Hairy gross arms, check.  Gross skinny fingers, check.  V-neck shirt exposing pale chest, check.  Absolutely terrible haircut, check.  Completely disgusting beard, check.  Skinny gross legs in too tight jeans, check.  Bad eyebrows,check.  I mean, I'm happy to agree to disagree on this, but this dude looks absolutely fucking disgusting.

I feel like when we're talking about a family that turned out to have a child molester in their midst - a boy who looked like all american apple pie boy next door - it's just really weird to decide that the appearance of someone makes them look like a violent criminal.  Can't Derick just be gross looking without being likened to a murdering rapist?  

• Love 24

I don't have a problem with the way he is holding his son.  I don't think he looks like he is about to murder his child but he totally looks like the kind of guy who would be lurking in a parking garage ready to leap out and rape and murder me.  All of the elements are present:  Hairy gross arms, check.  Gross skinny fingers, check.  V-neck shirt exposing pale chest, check.  Absolutely terrible haircut, check.  Completely disgusting beard, check.  Skinny gross legs in too tight jeans, check.  Bad eyebrows,check.  I mean, I'm happy to agree to disagree on this, but this dude looks absolutely fucking disgusting.

Recheck your elements.. Trust me. You are dead on wrong with your generalization on the looks of men who are about to rape you in parking garages..  Though your descriptions of what makes someone so scary are so silly honestly it's hard to know whether you are joking or not. Either way.. Meh..

I know mods.. Sorry, I'm out of this one.

• Love 8
(edited)

Recheck your elements.. Trust me. You are dead on wrong with your generalization on the looks of men who are about to rape you in parking garages..  Though your descriptions of what makes someone so scary are so silly honestly it's hard to know whether you are joking or not. Either way.. Meh..

I know mods.. Sorry, I'm out of this one.

I don't think all men who rape have gross smelly beards.  Obviously there are clean cut rapists and murderers.  I'm not talking about all criminals.  I'm talking about this dude and what I personally think he looks like.  I'm just saying that if I see a disgusting ass dude like that lurking around me then I'm assuming he is a murderer.  He's fucking gross.

Also sorry mods if I'm not allowed to say Derick looks like he could jump out of a dark corner and rape someone.  I'm happy to edit and say something like "looks like he could jump out of a dark corner and assault me" if that's preferable. 

Edited by poopchute

There is a big difference between calling somebody gross, unkempt and disgusting vs calling them a serial killer/murder/rapist. Being gross probablywon't land you in jail and doesn't really do the same harm as a serial killer. Let's chill with that talk.

DO NOT ARGUE THIS MOD NOTE OR TRY TO DEFEND WHAT WAS SAID PREVIOUSLY.

Just move on.

• Love 9

Read this on the Dillards' Blog. From Jill's bio

I was more reserved than I am now, but usually carried a smile and enjoyed toting a little one around on my hip as we played "mom and dad", or "hospital", where I would pretend to be the nurse by giving "medicine" (a.k.a. Koolaide) from a dropper to my "patients" (one of my friends or siblings), or I'd pull a bandage out of my little Noah's ark apron to wrap up their "injured" leg.

They LITERALLY drank Koolaid! HAHA. I find that hilarious. Also, Derick's bio mentions meeting Jill and beyond (marriage, expecting) but Jill's stops at her midwifery & baby making. Interesting. 

• Love 7

Ok, thanks for the clarification!  So yeah, basically that face and hair look like they smell like literal shit.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I don't know how Jill doesn't gag when she's near him!  Obviously Jill likes him enough to have sex with him but yikes.  I feel sorry for her :-(

(edited)

Jill just doesn't have an eye for aesthetics in general, she didn't notice that was an acceptable photo of her baby, but a bad photo of her husband. She tapped the iPhone screen so it would focus on Israel, and the iPhone did it's wonky brightness adjustment thing that it does.

I think Derick always looks clean. Ben tends to often have a bit of a sweaty sheen, and Josh looks like he sweats grease, but Derick looks like he showers at least once a day.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2
(edited)
I am also old, but I'm not sure what he is supposed to do with his "gross" arm hair?

Shave! Hey man, if we women are expected to keep ourselves free of body hair... 

(Kidding, arm hair doesn't bother me, fwiw.)

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2
(edited)

Maybe married life with Jill is not everything he'd hoped.  Maybe he's depressed and has zero fucks to give.  Or maybe he's decided not to shave while he's awaiting his position at his new job. Not my cuppa tea, but if someone told me he had full-blown crazy Howard Hughes-style toenails, I would believe it.

Edited by zenme
  • Love 1

Here's the way it looks to me: They were on a huge hill. The cat was sitting on one tiny part of it. The cat was simply somewhere on the huge hill -- which was absolutely big enough to accommodate several human sledders and one sitting cat. It was clearly not "in the way" of any sledder that didn't deliberately choose to aim at the cat. They, however, aimed at the cat. And the hysterical, presumably Duggar cackling behind them was clearly triggered by the fun of scaring the cat and making it jump and run. That was the intention. That's what they found funny. And, to me, those are the actions of childish, mean, humorless people with no empathy. I just don't like people who do things like that. And I don't like them if they're Christian, Muslim, atheist, whatever. Obviously, MMV.

I don't think all men who rape have gross smelly beards.  Obviously there are clean cut rapists and murderers.  I'm not talking about all criminals.  I'm talking about this dude and what I personally think he looks like.  I'm just saying that if I see a disgusting ass dude like that lurking around me then I'm assuming he is a murderer.  He's fucking gross.

Also sorry mods if I'm not allowed to say Derick looks like he could jump out of a dark corner and rape someone.  I'm happy to edit and say something like "looks like he could jump out of a dark corner and assault me" if that's preferable. 

Years ago, I barely escaped being raped by an influential, expensively coifed  millionaire wearing an Armani suit. Just sayin.

• Love 24

We have a delightful doctor who goes to our church who has a young son. The photo could almost be his. He really is an awfully nice surgeon. I just don't see the problem. 

I do agree about the cat thing. It would have been so much better if Derrick had said, "Wait, let's let the cat move on first."

• Love 3