Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Thanks.  I must have missed the movie.  I'll have to watch it!

He's in a few of the Vacation movies--the original Vacation, and Vegas Vacation.  But, his Christmas role is the iconic one, and the one I assume Derick dressed as on Tuesday..  I have no desire to look it up.  All that costume requires is the hat and a bathrobe.  I prefer Cousin Eddie's other costumes from Christmas Vacation--the green dickie under his white V-neck sweater always cracks me up.  So does is blue leisure suit with butterfly shirt.  

• Like 7

Derick was Cousin Eddie, so I'm guessing he just told Jill about him. I'm also guessing Derick dressed as him hoping JB would find out.

In other news, Jill might want to check the calendar. 👀📅🤣

image.png.8a182416f40fb459491e99ab9f073ef6.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
33 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Christmas Vacation is a deeply secular movie. If Jill is aware enough to even recognize Cousin Eddie, then she’s definitely getting more and more exposure to the wider world.

Jill has been with Derick for the better part of a decade.  I'm sure he has shown her all his favorite movies and TV shows on the laptop cuddled up together on the couch.  I'm sure he's also stopped and explained all the finer points.  

I do wonder if the Dillards ever got around in their new house to set up a real TV for family movie night.  Or are they still using the old laptop.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Jill has been with Derick for the better part of a decade.  I'm sure he has shown her all his favorite movies and TV shows on the laptop cuddled up together on the couch.  I'm sure he's also stopped and explained all the finer points.  

I do wonder if the Dillards ever got around in their new house to set up a real TV for family movie night.  Or are they still using the old laptop.

They have a large TV. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
7 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

They have a large TV. 

Thanks.  I'll confess to not keeping up on all the details with the various Duggars.  But, the Dillards' watching movies on a laptop and not a TV will live in my head for awhile.  I honestly do not get choosing to watch stuff on a laptop when TVs are cheap and smart, so are projectors if you must eschew a TV for reasons.  

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

He's in a few of the Vacation movies--the original Vacation, and Vegas Vacation.  But, his Christmas role is the iconic one, and the one I assume Derick dressed as on Tuesday..  I have no desire to look it up.  All that costume requires is the hat and a bathrobe.  I prefer Cousin Eddie's other costumes from Christmas Vacation--the green dickie under his white V-neck sweater always cracks me up.  So does is blue leisure suit with butterfly shirt.  

To this day, if you mention the words "leisure suit" to me, my brother, or our dad, we automatically respond with the description of Cousin Eddie from the movie. "The man was wearing a blue leisure suit, and the plates were from Kansas. He was a huge, beastly, bulging man." LOLOL 

• LOL 13
8 minutes ago, Zella said:

To this day, if you mention the words "leisure suit" to me, my brother, or our dad, we automatically respond with the description of Cousin Eddie from the movie. "The man was wearing a blue leisure suit, and the plates were from Kansas. He was a huge, beastly, bulging man." LOLOL 

Her delivery of that line just makes it.  She makes wearing a blue leisure suit seem just as heinous as kidnapping.  

• LOL 10
On 11/2/2023 at 4:06 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Thanks.  I'll confess to not keeping up on all the details with the various Duggars.  But, the Dillards' watching movies on a laptop and not a TV will live in my head for awhile.  I honestly do not get choosing to watch stuff on a laptop when TVs are cheap and smart, so are projectors if you must eschew a TV for reasons.  

It might just be force of habit. We have three TVs in the house, but none of them is in the master bedroom, and my TV watching tends to mainly involve things on YouTube after I settle down in the evening or before I get up, so I use my laptop and earphones. I don't think I've watched anything on the TV in many months.

• Like 8
40 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

It might just be force of habit. We have three TVs in the house, but none of them is in the master bedroom, and my TV watching tends to mainly involve things on YouTube after I settle down in the evening or before I get up, so I use my laptop and earphones. I don't think I've watched anything on the TV in many months.

I think that's pretty common for  a lot of people when they're watching something alone.  In the Dillard's case, it was Derrick, Jill, Israel and Sam all huddled around a single laptop watching a movie.

• Like 7

After the last kid left, I moved one of the three TVs into my room.  It's great for falling asleep when sick.  I think all but one of the Dillards would get neck strain trying to regularly watch TV on a laptop.  One person is doable while four is a pain in the neck.  :)  

• Like 14

I’m currently reading her book Counting the Cost and Jill admits here that she told Derrick about the abuse before they were engaged. I’m glad he knew and didn’t find out when the rest of the world did.

IMG_1844.thumb.png.c6448e79a762caef66ded1a429465be3.png

• Like 6
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 4

Poor Jill. I find it extremely gross that tabloids pull this shit. Do none of them have sisters, mothers and/or daughters? Do any of them have one iota of empathy? Everyone involved in publishing this story are complete assholes to think retraumatizing the sisters was worth taking down the Duggars and of course bringing in the money.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2

I am quite certain that Michelle's "loving the kids help in the kitchen" was her method to use them more and more; then hand off the entire cooking responsibilities over to them, which we all know that she did. Sly of her, really.

• Like 12
  • Sad 4
  • Applause 1

There is a time to smile, nod, and take the advice "under advisement."  Jim Bob apparently brought a lot of those moments.

If asked if the task is completed, an honest response is I'm done with that. (Yep, I was done with it when you mentioned it.)  

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 16
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, Trillium said:

When I was a freshman in HS I dated this guy who was a senior in my church youth group, who was pretty fundie, and terrible in a lot of ways, but we’d make out a lot. He left for a Christian college and I basically never saw him again. 

Several years later, we’ll after I was married and had moved away, fundie guy calls my dad to apologize to him for not respecting my purity (thankfully my dad stayed far away from purity culture b.s.) and wanted my dad to talk me into calling him back. My dad did tell me he called but we both found it super creepy, and no I absolutely did not call back. 

Purity culture is fucked up. Get over yourselves guys. We aren’t all damaged and upset because we made out in your parent’s basement watching Twister in 1995. The damage is acting like it was wrong and blaming us with the boobs for your lack of self control.

And also treating women and girls as if they don’t have any agency of their own. They took part in the kissing just as willingly as the boys, I assume. 

• Like 20
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
On 11/15/2023 at 7:41 AM, floridamom said:

I can't believe that Derick called those women....didn't he see any red flags about this and the other courting rituals?

In all fairness, he barely had time to blink between Jill coming to Nepal and the wedding.  I’m sure he thought some of it was made up for TV.  And got a rude awakening when JBs rules continued after the wedding. 

I am not surprised that Derick had actual girlfriends before  Jill.   I remember the scene during the Nepal trip where the three of them are walking, Jill in the middle.  Derick placed  his hand on Jill’s back and JB yanked Jill away and over to his other side.  
Derick’s mom flew to Nepal when Derick was coming home.  She commented on how annoyed she was by the group text nonsense that JB required.  It was obvious that the Dillards didn’t have courtship rules 

• Like 15
  • Useful 3

So was JB standing next to Derick when he made these calls? If not, I would've told him I made them, but never wouldn't. I know, lying would be wrong in Derick's eyes, but I think it would've been just fine, in this situation.

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Cathy is pondscum, but she at least trusted her sons to go off to college and date normally. 

Sort of... She told Derick not to waste time on any girl he wasn't very interested in - to save money.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Madtown said:

So was JB standing next to Derick when he made these calls? If not, I would've told him I made them, but never wouldn't. I know, lying would be wrong in Derick's eyes, but I think it would've been just fine, in this situation.

I think Derick has shown us all that he is quite comfortable with lying. Who knows. he may have lied about kissing anyone before Jill.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Derick has shown us all that he is quite comfortable with lying. Who knows. he may have lied about kissing anyone before Jill.

Very true forgot about his lies on Twitter. 

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I wish we had the dates on the tweets to see if they happened before or after they quit the show. I'd like to know the timeline.

I believe they were after TLC and JB refused to pay the L&D bill for Izzy. Derick was fired in 2017, but Jill continued sporadically until 2020.

• Useful 4
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I believe they were after TLC and JB refused to pay the L&D bill for Izzy. Derick was fired in 2017, but Jill continued sporadically until 2020.

There was talk at the time that the tweets got him fired. The book refuted that, but I can't remember the exact timeline. It all happened some time in 2017. 

Jill did appear on the show a couple of times afterwards, most notably at Joy's botched attempted homebirth of Giddy. That would have been 2018. 

• Useful 5
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

There was talk at the time that the tweets got him fired. The book refuted that, but I can't remember the exact timeline. It all happened some time in 2017. 

Jill did appear on the show a couple of times afterwards, most notably at Joy's botched attempted homebirth of Giddy. That would have been 2018. 

Yes, IIRC, after receiving numerous complaints about Derick's tweets, TLC put out a statement saying they had already parted ways with Derick.

From IDMb

image.png.c4326761022a0a89c391be27ecbca529.png

image.png.a41f9cc75eca9822a32eb792751aba91.png

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 4

As much as I can't stand Derick for purposely misgendering Jazz (among other things) I want to correct the assumption that he got fired.  The book is very clear that they told the producers sometime in the spring of 2017 that they no longer wanted to do the show and would not be signing up for any more of it.  Joy was married in May of 2017 and Jill was visible as her matron of honor.  Derick's first offensive tweet came out in August of that year when TLC was advertising the latest season of I Am Jazz.  TLC at that time put out a wimpy statement that Derick's opinions were his own, but nothing more.  Then he doubled down in November including the purposeful misgendering and also picked on Nate and Jeremiah.  At that point TLC made it public that he was no longer associated with the show.

According to Jill, producers had recorded an exit interview with them that was supposed to air at some point, but I'll bet Derick's tweets put an end to that.

• Like 3
  • Useful 8
40 minutes ago, Meow Mix said:

As much as I can't stand Derick for purposely misgendering Jazz (among other things) I want to correct the assumption that he got fired.  The book is very clear that they told the producers sometime in the spring of 2017 that they no longer wanted to do the show and would not be signing up for any more of it.  Joy was married in May of 2017 and Jill was visible as her matron of honor.  Derick's first offensive tweet came out in August of that year when TLC was advertising the latest season of I Am Jazz.  TLC at that time put out a wimpy statement that Derick's opinions were his own, but nothing more.  Then he doubled down in November including the purposeful misgendering and also picked on Nate and Jeremiah.  At that point TLC made it public that he was no longer associated with the show.

According to Jill, producers had recorded an exit interview with them that was supposed to air at some point, but I'll bet Derick's tweets put an end to that.

The whole "Derick was fired" narrative was based on the idea that TLC does anything to protect their "talent." There is simply no indication that they do that at all -- just the opposite.

The entirety of the TLC line up is what would have been called a "freak show" in days gone by. Some of them may get a more sympathetic edit than others, but TLC is no friend to anyone. Jazz was 100% being used by TLC and, as they've shown in the past, they never cared that she's was child.

• Like 16
21 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Derick’s tweets that prompted TLC’s statement were posted November 9th, 2017.

TLC’s statement:

291DC1CD-9274-4817-B74F-D3662C0ED651.jpeg

Edited by ginger90
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 7

From what I remember the "fired narrative" came from Derick himself. He's said he was fired, he's said he quit and he's said he did neither because he was "never hired". It seems in the book they picked the quit lane, but they can pick any lane they want because no one is going to speak out against them on this.

• Like 7