Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

With Josh's job, they made the choice to be limited in what they could be filmed doing. TLC isn't going to touch all of that political stuff, and there is only so much of the storyline they are going to handle, as it's much more expensive to have two shooting set-ups (although it helps that TLC's home base is also near DC.)

Jill and Derick and perhaps Ben and Jessa will pick up the lion's share, given location and the fact that's something to see. But oddly enough, endless stories about not kissing until marriage will get boring from here on out. Audiences are so fickle...

• Love 3

What happened to their contract with the Today show? Why are they now on GMA? Anyone out there know?

They're boring. Every time something happens like a pregnant or gender revel they go to the today show. People were probably complaining. The Duggars aren't exactly ratings worthy

A poster on another blog thought the announcement may also include Jill & Derickdillard are getting their own spin-off series.

I agree it is weird learning the baby's gender when they haven't gotten married yet on TV. Why couldn't they have waited another week & do the announcement after the finale WEDDING OF THE CENTURY episode? These people just can't wait for anything.

I know someone who knows someone at TLC and yes, they are in talks for a spinoff, but it doesn't sound as if that's been finalized (or they're keeping it close to the vest and will announce it with the gender on Tuesday).

Just NO! The Dullards are as interesting as watching paint dry. Plus there's that pesky work stuff that Derick has to do, severely limiting how much he can be filmed. There just isn't any there, there.

• Love 3

I think a spinoff is a bad idea. They need time without cameras to get to know each other better. I think it will put a lot of unnecessary pressure on the relationship, and even though they already film with 19 & Counting, at least it's not always going to be about their relationship (I hope!!). They need to have a normal life without TLC cameras and money -- it tends to corrupt otherwise sane and decent people. How tempted would Derick be by TLC's money that he would throw away his job? His job keeps him normal. And sure he could try it and work his job , but we all know that Jill would pressure him to quit so she could be around Derrick Dillard 24/7.

• Love 1

I can't believe they are even considering a spinoff. Seriously if I were Cathy, I'd be sitting down with my son (if he even consults her on his life) to give him all the cons. Sure -- he will get paid. But he already has a 40 hr a week job, and if he wants to move up in that job over the yrs, he's going to have to take on some additional responsibilities over time that may get him up more towards 45-60 hrs a week; that's what you have to do to make it to management in corporate America these days. Plus he started said job only 9 months ago, so it's not like he has tons of seniority, vacation time, or goodwill at the place. Does he not realize that reality TV is not just cameras following "your reality" anymore? Because TLC and viewers will grow bored of Jill's "OMG I missed you SO much the 8 hrs you were gone, look I made your favorite chicken tonight" saga every single day. TLC will ultimately expect them to do "special events" and trips and things to keep it interesting, and if he wants a long term professional career, he shouldn't even consider being in and out of the office like that.

And as has been said so many times, these 2 went from the giggle holding hands stage to making a baby in a matter of months. They have hardly had the time and privacy to get to know each other. Just as they're starting to do that -- they're ok with cameras in their faces? Regardless of what they think, the camera does alter your behavior. The longer the cameras keep rolling, the more they will only see the "keeping sweet," side of their spouse; they will never learn what makes the other angry, what pushes buttons, which friends of Derick's Jill does not want to hang with bc she'll say yes to wherever he wants to go on weekends, when Derick just can't deal with his inlaws -- bc the cameras will force him to say yes to every single Duggar obligation that Jill comes up with etc. I hope the TLC money is worth all this.

• Love 5

I'm with you on the charity issue, Bella. I have always believed if you have even a few cents to spare to give to a worthy cause you should. I can't speak for J'Chelle and JB's charitable donations because they have never spoken about them one way or the other. I think it'd be a fair question to bring up to them during the show.

Trust me.  If Boob and MeChelle had donated anything - to any charity - we'd have heard about it.  Continuously on the TLC show and at any other time they could fit it in as well.

• Love 4

The only way a Jill/ Derick spinoff would be interesting is if they went to another country to do missionary/midwife work.

They don't do anything anyway, it would get boring fast. Who wants to see Jill everyday saying she's bored

There is no way that Jill and Derick would turn down a spin-off. He would quit his job in a heartbeat for the opportunity to have the big bucks and exposure that come with the territory. He seems to enjoy the limelight, and the lure of big money is potent. Thus far he's gone along with the Duggars on everything from courtship rules to wedding details to living arrangement. If TLC wants more airtime for the Jill and Derick, 1 kid and Counting show, he's there.

• Love 3

There is no way that Jill and Derick would turn down a spin-off. He would quit his job in a heartbeat for the opportunity to have the big bucks and exposure that come with the territory. He seems to enjoy the limelight, and the lure of big money is potent. Thus far he's gone along with the Duggars on everything from courtship rules to wedding details to living arrangement. If TLC wants more airtime for the Jill and Derick, 1 kid and Counting show, he's there.

I agree 100%. Unlike Ben, Derick comes across very well on the show, and I've liked him. The more time passes, however, the more I have to acknowledge that he may not be the breath of fresh air that I had originally thought he was.

I could believe that he went along with the ridiculous courting rules, and agreed to the filming because he wanted to marry Jill, and knew that he had to suck it up and toe the line until the wedding day. Since then, though, it's been People magazine articles about the wedding and the honeymoon and the baby, clearly an agreement on the no birth control edict, the agreement to live in JB's house, and now talk of a spin-off.

There's no question that he would have to leave his job if they did their own show. He's only been at his job a few months and he's already taken time off for the wedding, and I'm sure that filming has been an additional hit to his negative accumulated vacation days.

I don't know how TLC thinks that they could spin this to make it interesting, but I wouldn't watch it, I really think, too, that the only name that they could give the show would be Countdown to Divorce because the hand-holding=>sex=>baby=>television show in a matter of months is no recipe for a long-lasting relationship.

• Love 5

They have a great middle class (or better) lifestyle now - a McMansion, a nice SUV, travel, picnics with pricey goat cheese. I wonder if they would be able to live the way Jim Bob and Michelle were living before TLC came along - a dozen people crammed into a tiny house, buying used ugly clothes and eating really basic food. Because that is the reality of trying to raise 10 kids on one income. I hope they're saving their money because this gravy train won't go on forever. I think this show paints such an unrealistic picture of what it's like to raise 19 kids. I'm wondering if / when the TLC money runs out, some of the kids might have second thoughts of what it's REALLY like to raise a large number of kids on one income, especially now that they've had many years to enjoy a better way of living.

Also, people have mentioned that it might make for an interesting show to see Derrick and Jill do missionary and midwifery work. The irony is that the organization Derrick went to Nepal with only takes NURSE midwives, not lay midwives. I really think there are going to be a number of moments along these lines, relative to the difference between Derrick and Jill's education and life experience levels. These things aren't always obvious during the early months, but once the initial attraction has waned, they can be a real wake up call.

I also have to wonder if Derrick's mom would want her own grand kids to be deprived of many of the things she likely valued for her own son, like a quality early education, the opportunity to attend a real college, and a respectable job.

• Love 3

I don't think the Dillard-Byrums would want their grandchildren to grow up in a third world country AND be so far away from them, as they don't have a mob sized family to provide them with hundreds of grandchildren. I think Mrs Byrum would want to actually KNOW her grandchildren.. Also, I noticed something quite selfish (yes, I know), of Michelle once again...not for one moment, did Michelle mention Cathy Byrum's illness and even though she may have asked for privacy for herself during her treatment, we all knew she was ill. Michelle didn't for one moment mention her illness and how she was praying for this woman's full recovery. It's as if the woman doesn't exist for Michelle and the other Duggars....Jill really didn't mention it either, just when they visited her at the hospital. It would have been a nice thing during all the happy preparation time, nail parties, etc., if Michelle were to mention that they were thinking of her and wish that she could have participated in these activities..and yes, offer her prayer for recovery. NOT  ONE  SYLLABLE  FOR  THIS  WOMAN....Shame on the "Christian Duggars", IMO.

• Love 7

As I get to know Derick and observe him on the show and during his TH interviews with Jill, I think after the initial "sex" dies down, Jill may find this guy a bit dull for her "bubbly" personality. I also think he may find her "too hyper" for himself. Opposites, IMO, may attract initially, but don't last as those everyday differences can grate on a person. I still think that Derick and JANA would have been a better match as they travel through life at the same speed... Jill already seems a bit frustrated with Derick's slow to respond and do things, that's why she jumps in and speaks for him, finishes his sentences and corrects what he said..as she is impatient with his style, also it may show that she doesn't have confidence in him to "say the right thing", so she has to provide damage control and provide the correct response. Not a good match made here, Jim Bob, I don't think you heard the Lord correctly, it's Derick and Jana.

Ben and Jessa, well, that's another whole page of observations....Ben needs to reclaim his balls and quick! I see him as the type of guy who will explode all at once, pounce his fist on the table and order her to cease and desist....NOW.

• Love 2

Jim Boob doesn't know that in the real world  a credit card is essential.  He's a celebrity with TLC making the arrangements and paying all the bills for their traveling.  You and I need a credit card to reserve a hotel room or a flight.  BTW, if he was paying, how much cash would he have to carry around all the time.  Just gas for the bus and other assorted vehicles they bring would be a fortune, and then figure buying food at McDonald's for the whole group.  Perhaps we should follow him around and steal his wallet.  It should be easy to find, being stuffed with cash.    Look for the giant lump on his butt.

Actually, in the real world a debit card/check card does all these things and more. A credit card is a perceived necessity, not an actual one.

• Love 2
she jumps in and speaks for him, finishes his sentences and corrects what he said

She does that for her sisters too.  I think that's just a long ingrained habit.  He's too laid back to call her on it. She will be the official speaker in their family.

• Love 2

I  just read an article that was a teaser and pondered whether they were having twins. The article said Jill and Derrick were looking at twin names just in case. It also said they may not have a letter theme, which surprised since I thought they had definitely decided against a letter theme. (Maybe pressure from both sets of in-laws since they both did letter themes?) I do think parents should have the final say in whether to do a letter theme.

My question why do a spin off now? Oh they have one baby how exciting! Oh they have two! Oh they have three! It takes a least five or six (in short succession with more coming up) before they differ enough from other American families

Maybe TLC is worried how long the opening is if they add spouses and children to the opening credits. Pretty soon, the whole first half hour will be Michelle explaining their family.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

Actually, in the real world a debit card/check card does all these things and more. A credit card is a perceived necessity, not an actual one.

That's definitely true, but I think it makes poor financial sense for them not to be taking advantage of the 1% or more rewards (gas, flights, discounts, or cash back) that many cards offer. Also, with debit cards your money is deducted immediately from your account, versus earning interest until your credit card bill arrives. Charging everything and paying it off in full every month would actually be the fiscally smart thing for them to do, but in Boob's simple mind credit cards = BAD. There is no room for gray areas in the Duggars' way of thinking.

• Love 2

That's definitely true, but I think it makes poor financial sense for them not to be taking advantage of the 1% or more rewards (gas, flights, discounts, or cash back) that many cards offer. Also, with debit cards your money is deducted immediately from your account, versus earning interest until your credit card bill arrives. Charging everything and paying it off in full every month would actually be the fiscally smart thing for them to do, but in Boob's simple mind credit cards = BAD. There is no room for gray areas in the Duggars' way of thinking.

The interest earned in your checking account is negligible. I think it is smart to not use credit cards. You can earn gas credits by shopping at the grocery store. There is nothing wrong with debt free living.

• Love 1

Also, people have mentioned that it might make for an interesting show to see Derrick and Jill do missionary and midwifery work. The irony is that the organization Derrick went to Nepal with only takes NURSE midwives, not lay midwives.

Do you (or anyone else) know the name of the mission organization that Derick was associated with?

Yes, I believe if given the opportunity these two would jump at the chance of a spinoff, unfortunately.

And as has been said so many times, these 2 went from the giggle holding hands stage to making a baby in a matter of months.

Months?  Try days.  Even Derek remarked that it was strange that they'd never been alone but would be living as man and wife in a day and a half. 

• Love 1

I think Dill looking up twin names (Just in case) means that's probably going to be the announcement.

Agreed - what's the "just in case" these days with modern ultrasounds? They know immediately if you're carrying twins. It's not like the old days where you deliver and some dr. says "uh here comes another foot."

• Love 2

They are still in the infatuation tage. Lust, not love. They have the added disadvantage that according to Gothard, they should expect a perfect, conflict free marriage since they were "pure." I predict a rocky first year.

I will say if it's twins, I feel kind of (but not really) bad for Derick. To think this all started because he has no game and likes the cult-ishness of fundies so he reaches out to JB for a prayer partner. That leads to being "set up" with Jill, where set up means -- if you look at my daughter, you are marrying her. So he gets pulled from the "I think you're cool, I'd like to get to know you," to "ok it's been a few months, where's the ring" to "this engagement better be as short as possible" to "the baby making better be as fast as possible." If it is twins, he's an in instant "big family," so look for him to become even more of a Duggar. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he is more open to a spin-off, quitting his regular job etc. bc he views the Duggars as experts on what it takes to provide for a big family and I imagine TLC will pay per episode what Walmart pays him per yr.

I keep thinking of that teen dad Cory who is on the MTV show with Leah; when they found out they were having twins he said "you always think, if there's an accident and you get pregnant, you can deal with that. But 2 kids!?"

• Love 3

I use credit cards for most of my purchases and I come out ahead doing that.  I pay the cards off totally every month, so I never have interest charges.  I get lots of points for my purchases which I cash in for stuff.  In the last two years I have gotten 2 plane tickets and a rental car for 10 days just from points.  Credit cards don't have to end up with debt.

• Love 10

riverblue22 - you sound just like us.  Plus add in the buyer protections on most cards and it turns out to be a good thing, at least for us. I wonder if JB ever thought of that?  I don't consider it debt because of the paying off every month.

• Love 6

You also have more legal protections with credit cards vs debit cards if your account is compromised.

There is nothing wrong with debt free living at all. Just hat most people will never become wealthy without using it as a tool, unless, of course, you get your own reality TV show. :)

• Love 4

They have a great middle class (or better) lifestyle now - a McMansion, a nice SUV, travel, picnics with pricey goat cheese. I wonder if they would be able to live the way Jim Bob and Michelle were living before TLC came along - a dozen people crammed into a tiny house, buying used ugly clothes and eating really basic food. Because that is the reality of trying to raise 10 kids on one income. I hope they're saving their money because this gravy train won't go on forever. I think this show paints such an unrealistic picture of what it's like to raise 19 kids. I'm wondering if / when the TLC money runs out, some of the kids might have second thoughts of what it's REALLY like to raise a large number of kids on one income, especially now that they've had many years to enjoy a better way of living.

I realize i'm going out on a limb here - and I could definitely be wrong - but I'm going to predict that none of Boob and MeChelle's kids will have anywhere near 19 kids themselves. I don't believe these children - after the chaotic circus-like childhoods they've experienced - and despite all the dribble they've been taught to repeat in public - are going to see life with a dozen kids running around as attractive.  I just don't think they'll want to relive that. The older they get, the more they'll realize they do NOT have to do what their parents say forever.  There's already evidence that Josh and especially Anna are seeing the light.  I think the biggest family will be between 8-10 kids and that will probably be either Josh's or Jill's.  Most will have "only" between 4-6 children.  There may even be a childless couple or two in this crowd, and some that don't marry at all.

• Love 5

But they also see the money and fame that comes with a mega family so it's not like it's an automatic no. For every hassle comes a perk. I just wonder which one of them will be discovering birth control.

You also have more legal protections with credit cards vs debit cards if your account is compromised.

There is nothing wrong with debt free living at all. Just hat most people will never become wealthy without using it as a tool, unless, of course, you get your own reality TV show. :)

That is not true. Debit cards with the visa or mc symbol carry the same protections as credit cards

• Love 1

I can't see a spin off lasting more than about 8 episodes for Jill and Derrick. There just isn't that much going on with them that we don't already know. And for heaven's sake, Derrick, please don't quit your job! Look what happened to Jon Gosselin. Kate insisted he quit his job with the state of PA that offered decent benefits to become a reality start, and then 2 years and a McMansion later, she tosses him aside and he wasn't able to find much in the way of work afterwards...last I read he was working as a waiter at some pub in the middle of nowhere, PA, living in a small home without his kids. Don't let the lure of the easy cash lure you away and turn you into a Jim Bob #2. 

• Love 3

As far as a spin-off show goes: if Derrick is showing Jill a new way of thinking, it would be a very interesting show to watch. I would love to see Jill surprise viewers with more forward thinking ideas, such as practicing birth control and perhaps going to school. Conversely, if Derrick is shown to be drinking the Duggar kool-aid, it would be a depressing show to watch.

• Love 3

I will say if it's twins, I feel kind of (but not really) bad for Derick. To think this all started because he has no game and likes the cult-ishness of fundies so he reaches out to JB for a prayer partner. That leads to being "set up" with Jill, where set up means -- if you look at my daughter, you are marrying her. So he gets pulled from the "I think you're cool, I'd like to get to know you," to "ok it's been a few months, where's the ring" to "this engagement better be as short as possible" to "the baby making better be as fast as possible." If it is twins, he's an in instant "big family," so look for him to become even more of a Duggar. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he is more open to a spin-off, quitting his regular job etc. bc he views the Duggars as experts on what it takes to provide for a big family and I imagine TLC will pay per episode what Walmart pays him per yr.

I keep thinking of that teen dad Cory who is on the MTV show with Leah; when they found out they were having twins he said "you always think, if there's an accident and you get pregnant, you can deal with that. But 2 kids!?"

IIRC, wasn't one of the twins on Teen Mom or whatever the show was called, born with health problems? Something that affected her motor skills and/or walking? I remember when they took her to a specialist to be evaluated & Leah was so upset, understandably. For this reason alone, I hope Derick keeps his Wal-Mart job just for the health benefits.
  • Love 1

IIRC, wasn't one of the twins on Teen Mom or whatever the show was called, born with health problems? Something that affected her motor skills and/or walking? I remember when they took her to a specialist to be evaluated & Leah was so upset, understandably. For this reason alone, I hope Derick keeps his Wal-Mart job just for the health benefits.

TM2 Leah's daughter Ali was diagnosed with a rare form of muscular dystrophy a while ago. They just recently got insurance approval to get her a much-needed wheelchair. Without Corey's benefits from his job they would not have been able to afford it. 

• Love 2

A spin off would be interesting if it would show Jill becoming more "worldy" as she lives with Derick. However, given that they are living in JB's house and are just up the road from her family, there isn't much chance of that happening as if they were living in DC or someplace where they only had each other to rely on. Plus with a baby on the way, it isn't a great time to explore anything as taking care of a newborn day and night is not really the phase in life where people say -- oh I've always wanted to take this class or have this kind of job. So without anything different, I see this spin-off being like an 8 episode "season" that they often do on TLC -- like for that polygamist show (my 5 wives) which couldn't really show itself as being all that different from Kody Brown's family or for the Bates. It'll just be Jill and Derick spouting off about how they "purposed" to save their hearts for marriage and now they are so happy and have achieved everything they ever wanted -- an instant family. Unless he has friends who agree to be coming and going, I can't even see it being interesting in terms of conversation; and his friends may feel the way his brother does -- they'll deal when they have to but don't want to be around the Duggar thing.

And yeah -- Cory and Leah were the ones who have 1 twin with a very rare genetic disorder; they are both married to other people now but Cory and his wife are very involved with the girls and Cory provides their health insurance. They are in rural, small town West Virginia and their daughter has to go to see specialists in Ohio -- I believe -- bc there are so few drs. that can treat her; the travel, dr bills, wheelchair etc costs must be significant but my sense is that Cory is in a hard manual labor/skilled trade kind of job where he can provide good child support and benefits. I'm sure the Duggars view them all as heathens having had kids out of wedlock and not even marrying later, but honestly those 4 twenty-somethings are getting it done when it comes to raising those girls.

• Love 3

They are still in the infatuation tage. Lust, not love. They have the added disadvantage that according to Gothard, they should expect a perfect, conflict free marriage since they were "pure." I predict a rocky first year.

Adding to that; the fact that they were married less than a month before Jill got pregnant.  They said she had bad morning sickness.  I can't imagine starting a relationship feeling (and probably looking) like crap.

• Love 2

Adding to that; the fact that they were married less than a month before Jill got pregnant.  They said she had bad morning sickness.  I can't imagine starting a relationship feeling (and probably looking) like crap.

Seriously. Sex was a huge part of the reason they rushed to marry quick -- they said it repeatedly in one episode that they didn't want to prolong a wedding since they were waiting for the physical side. So they get pregnant immediately and likely barely got the hang of sex. Then with morning sickness etc., I doubt she's really in the mood; I realize she has to give it up whenever Derick wants it but I get the sense Derick is the type who probably doesn't want to even ask seeing what she's going through. So now they'll have a baby, go through the whole postpartum recovery thing, have at it for a little while and likely get pregnant with the next kid and the cycle repeats. Unclear why Derick wants this rather than taking some time to have "fun" in a new marriage.

• Love 2

It was Leahs who had twins on Teen mom and one has a rare disorder that affects her ability to walk. She needs a wheelchair to get around

Adding to that; the fact that they were married less than a month before Jill got pregnant. They said she had bad morning sickness. I can't imagine starting a relationship feeling (and probably looking) like crap.

I don't think Derrick is going to force Jill to have sex if she doesn't want to. However sex is a skill that's learned over time. Derrick and Jill went from 0 to 100 in one day. They probably still don't know about each likes, dislikes, turn on or turn off, etc. Then Derrick how to wait a week for her period, now a few months during and after she has the baby and if Jill follows her mother, she can't have sex for 80 days about the birth of a girl and 40 days for the birth of a boy

If Jill is having twins she can't have a homebirth.

• Love 1

I don't think Derrick is going to force Jill to have sex if she doesn't want to. However sex is a skill that's learned over time. Derrick and Jill went from 0 to 100 in one day. They probably still don't know about each likes, dislikes, turn on or turn off, etc. Then Derrick how to wait a week for her period, now a few months during and after she has the baby and if Jill follows her mother, she can't have sex for 80 days about the birth of a girl and 40 days for the birth of a boy

If Jill is having twins she can't have a homebirth.

What's that about?

• Love 1

There have been a lot of twins referenced dropped from the beginning, so it could well be that. Or it could be good marketing. I'd rather it be twins than a spin off.

Now what would be somewhat interesting as a spinoff - put Jessa and Ben in the same house in a BRADY BRIDES type show.

• Love 2

What's that about?

It's in the old testament. Michelle says that after the birth of a girl, she and JB abstain from sex for 80 days for a girl and for a boy 40 days.

It's not all sexytime at the Duggars. They abstain when Michelle has her period, and also after childbirth: 80 days before sex if it's a girl, 40 days after a boy. (The timeline for abstinence after childbirth is loosely based on Old Testament traditions, but is more about what works for their marriage than about observing religious law, the Duggars say.) A bit of abstinence, they've found, does make the heart grow fonder. 

http://m.today.com/parents/duggars-7-tips-keeping-your-marriage-sexy-even-after-lot-2D12106530

• Love 1

So when Michelle had Jana and JD, it was 60 days?

Regardless of whether they have twins or not, as someone with fundie-lite friends who had three kids in less than four years (no multiples involved), it could seem like a big family sooner than later than Derrick. When there's three kids under three, it will seem like a lot anyway.

• Love 2

It's in the old testament. Michelle says that after the birth of a girl, she and JB abstain from sex for 80 days for a girl and for a boy 40 days.

It's not all sexytime at the Duggars. They abstain when Michelle has her period, and also after childbirth: 80 days before sex if it's a girl, 40 days after a boy. (The timeline for abstinence after childbirth is loosely based on Old Testament traditions, but is more about what works for their marriage than about observing religious law, the Duggars say.) A bit of abstinence, they've found, does make the heart grow fonder. 

http://m.today.com/parents/duggars-7-tips-keeping-your-marriage-sexy-even-after-lot-2D12106530

I'm so glad I'm not religious, that's way too much shit to keep straight. I'll just keep on with my heathen ways!

• Love 11