Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

Is that actually a possibility?  Would the Supreme Court hear cases like this?

Highly unlikely, they would probably just deny it as the 8th Circuit Court has done.

If they wanted to proceed past this, per what I read on Reddit, they would have exhausted direct appeal, then they'd have to go back to district court and appeal on collateral causes which basically boils down to incompetent, ineffective counsel.  They would have to hire another law firm for that.  I don't think they have reasonable grounds for this either.  They did have competent counsel.

• Like 9
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

Is that actually a possibility?  Would the Supreme Court hear cases like this?

They can ask the Supreme Court to hear it, and then spend an arm and a leg on legal fees to prepare and present their case.  It is extremely doubtful that the Supreme Court would agree to take the case and rule on it, though.  Most likely, they spend a bundle preparing their request and it is rejected out of hand like most petitions to the Court are.

It's generally got to be an issue that might set legal precedent or where there is significant evidence that a big mistake was made by the lower courts before the Supreme Court will take the case.  Josh' case meets none of those criteria as has been shown by the way his appeals in the lower courts have been slapped down pretty quickly.

• Like 10
  • Useful 2
20 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

They would have to hire another law firm for that.  I don't think they have reasonable grounds for this either.  They did have competent counsel.

Yep there was a mountain of evidence against Josh, even beyond him stupidly asking them without prompting if they were there about CP during the initial raid. 

After the trial revealed how much evidence was against him, my assumption has always been that they advised him to take a plea deal and not go to trial. That advice was clearly not followed, and there's only so much even a good lawyer can do in that scenario. 

• Like 23
27 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yep there was a mountain of evidence against Josh, even beyond him stupidly asking them without prompting if they were there about CP during the initial raid. 

After the trial revealed how much evidence was against him, my assumption has always been that they advised him to take a plea deal and not go to trial. That advice was clearly not followed, and there's only so much even a good lawyer can do in that scenario. 

I can't help thinking that if he had taken a plea deal he probably would have received a jail sentence that was no more than half the time he received, possibly even less.

• Like 14
21 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

I can't help thinking that if he had taken a plea deal he probably would have received a jail sentence that was no more than half the time he received, possibly even less.

Yes and that's the incentive to do that. Take the plea deal and get out with less time or take your chances at trial, where you either go home or go to jail for a lot longer. 

• Like 11
14 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I can't remember, was Josh offered a plea deal? Its not like he had any collateral info to get bigger criminals. And the case was short and uncomplicated.

There was reporting before the trial that he did indeed turn down a plea deal. It's not always about snitching on other accomplices. It's about the logistics of not tying up the courts with another trial. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 4

Josh had competent counsel.  He also had a nonexistent case which made it impossible for anyone to defend.  Perry Mason couldn't have gotten him off.  I suspect his competent attorney strongly suggested a plea deal.  I wonder if JB flipped a coin and thought it was God's will that they go to trial.  

• Like 19
4 minutes ago, Meow Mix said:

Josh had competent counsel.  He also had a nonexistent case which made it impossible for anyone to defend.  Perry Mason couldn't have gotten him off.  I suspect his competent attorney strongly suggested a plea deal.  I wonder if JB flipped a coin and thought it was God's will that they go to trial.  

Perry would have smacked him   And Jim baboon too !

• Like 6
  • LOL 15
On 10/1/2023 at 1:01 PM, Meow Mix said:

Flipped a coin? More like “I won’t allow that admission of guilt because my golden child would never do anything wrong!”

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 4
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Anna sighting! She was in a picture with Prissy and Meech in front of an RV. Family Camp in Big Sandy was last week, so I am pretty sure that's the origin. 

Where is this pic?  I’ve seen it mentioned here and another place but can’t find it. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Tdoc72 said:

Where is this pic?  I’ve seen it mentioned here and another place but can’t find it. 

Don't know. I saw it posted on a YouTube video. She didn't say where she found it. (And no, it wasn't WOACB. It's a sweet old lady who posts from her kitchen.) 😄

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Am I missing something? I don't see Anna. 

Took me a minute to find her. If you click the link for "social media" in the second paragraph, it takes you to a reddit post. Then if you scroll over to the second picture in that post, she's in the back next to Priscilla. Beige/brown dress. I didn't recognize her at first, but I looked closer and I'm pretty sure that's her. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
On 10/1/2023 at 11:01 AM, Zella said:

I wonder if it has started to hit him that he is not actually god’s favorite?? 

• Like 15
26 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I hope Famy didn't harass Anna at her grandfather's funeral. (Just a jokey snark - I doubt Amy would have any reason to be there.)

I think the funeral was in Alabama. No reason for Famy to be there. 😀

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • LOL 1
23 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

It's a terrible picture. I can't believe that Mike Keller is only 63. He looks a good 10-15 years older.

7 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Hatred for others and poor diet will do that. 

That was literally going to be my comment!  A life of spewing hate is aging!

• Like 5
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
On 10/30/2023 at 6:51 AM, dariafan said:

I wonder if it has started to hit him that he is not actually god’s favorite?? 

Nah. Job was God's favorite too, remember.  Josh is probably expecting angels to show up and tell him he's going to get back twice what he lost.

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
43 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Anna has a camper. It would be easy enough for one of the brothers to drive it over and set it up. Or its possible they went to FL or TX for Thanksgiving.

The Kellers didn't have Thanksgiving this year, so if Anna went anywhere, it was to the Pecans. But this camping trip was the weekend before, so she could have done both. 

• Useful 5
11 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Today is the 2nd anniversary of FF's conviction. Was Anna at the prison bawling her eyes out? 

The only thing she's probably bawling her eyes out about is she's been 2 years without any more babies. 

• Like 15
  • Sad 1