Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, queenanne said:

If it was Spurgey's, then I'd be kind of impressed. ;)  Otherwise it's horrible.  Clearly he must have had some part in it or he wouldn't have called the squashed house shape as a hexagon, no?

Jessa said in her post that it was one of the cousins, so it just dawned on me that I have to rule out Josie. Duh! 

Money's still on Michael. 

• Love 2

It's also still funny.  It was so riveting as it unfolded, I forgot to pay attention to the Henry corner to see what cuteness he was up to.  

I still think Jessa should've included a disclaimer that the spelling was "as told to", though.  

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, momma2seven said:

Makes sense to be Michael...he spelled the endings like his own name instead of -le like they should be. How old is he? I can't keep track.

Oh, OK, that's cute.  I take back the "horrible" comment.  Sorry Michael!!

• Love 3

I was happy to see Henry playing with the dollhouse. I get the feeling the howlers wouldn’t have been allowed to touch something so stereotypically ‘girly’. 

And well done Spurge, knowing his shapes.

• Love 5

I don't think that was Spurge's 'shapes' work on the board. He couldn't even reach it. He's too young for that. I noticed the abhorrent spelling first. ...ovel??? That should be an easy word to spell. Work on the penmanship too. I thought Michelle was the penmanship police with her homeschooling program. I remember her saying it on the show.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

I thought Michelle was the penmanship police with her homeschooling program. I remember her saying it on the show.

That's a laugh.  Years ago someone went to an event the Duggars 'entertained' at.  They bought a Duggar book and went down the line collecting autographs from all of the family that could write.  Then they posted pics.  Once they got to the lost boys the handwriting was terrible.  None of the letters were evenly spaced or the same size, and were badly formed.  It looked like kindergarten work and some of those kids were well over the age of ten.  Michelle might have pretended to work on that stuff when she only had a few kids, but like everything else, she stopped bothering at some point and never looked back.  I'm fairly certain that a number of those kids will be considered 'functionally illiterate' when they're adults.

But in this case, Jessa said that the work on the whiteboard was done by one of the cousins.  How old is Spur's oldest cousin?  How many could be old enough to draw shapes and label them?  Someone should have corrected the spelling, though.  Kids can't learn to spell if they're not told when they're doing it wrong.

• Love 10

Spurgeon is a smart little fella. Dammit, they NEED to get him some proper education. I hope this isn't a prelude to where he will be getting his education. I can just imagine Spurgeon learning about bankruptcy while Jessa nurses the newest Seewald and lounges on the couch, OR he can go to a real school and Jessa can humblebrag about her brilliant child and have the day to herself (which means taking the preschoolers to the TTH).

• Love 8
16 hours ago, queenanne said:

If it was Spurgey's, then I'd be kind of impressed. ;)  Otherwise it's horrible.  Clearly he must have had some part in it or he wouldn't have called the squashed house shape as a hexagon, no?

Is it wrong the 1st thought was Jackson did it?  He may be a vampire.  He NEVER ages!

• Love 9
On 1/25/2018 at 11:09 AM, Zahdii said:

That's a laugh.  Years ago someone went to an event the Duggars 'entertained' at.  They bought a Duggar book and went down the line collecting autographs from all of the family that could write.  Then they posted pics.  Once they got to the lost boys the handwriting was terrible.  None of the letters were evenly spaced or the same size, and were badly formed.  It looked like kindergarten work and some of those kids were well over the age of ten.  Michelle might have pretended to work on that stuff when she only had a few kids, but like everything else, she stopped bothering at some point and never looked back.  I'm fairly certain that a number of those kids will be considered 'functionally illiterate' when they're adults.

But in this case, Jessa said that the work on the whiteboard was done by one of the cousins.  How old is Spur's oldest cousin?  How many could be old enough to draw shapes and label them?  Someone should have corrected the spelling, though.  Kids can't learn to spell if they're not told when they're doing it wrong.

The only cousins old enough write are Josh and Anna’s kids. Mackenzzieey is 8 and the next M’Bop kid is close behind. 

• Love 3

At least no one has to worry about them getting into the pentagon, they will be so confused by the 5 sided hexagon and 6 sided octagon.

THIS is an example of them destroying a little mind. It's so easy to imagine them believing in people riding dinosaurs now...grrrrr

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

Cirercel? How the hell are they pronouncing circle? Is this one of those American things, like un-com-for-ta-ble, sexual harris-mint, meeyor and fie dollars?

You are seeing the results of the SOTDRT at work ...

• Love 15

Once again, jessa shows bad judgment when posting.  

NO WAY in hell would I post that on my FB account because I'd be embarrassed about the spelling errors and then worry people would think we are a pack of idiots. 

Jessa, who has thousands of followers, posts this and doesn't anticipate everyone laughing and mocking the "shaps" lesson?  How is that even possible she didn't see that coming?????

Jessa might need to take a seat with Derick and Jill for dumb posts.  At least Jeremy is just posting big books. 

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Marigold said:

You guys saw the picture of Jessa holding the two boys on her lap? Covering her belly, looking very pale with flat hair?

We called that a while back. Wonder when this baby is due?

I've checked the Instagram accounts, and DFO, but I can't find the picture of Jessa with the boys in her lap.  Where is it?

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Once again, jessa shows bad judgment when posting.  

NO WAY in hell would I post that on my FB account because I'd be embarrassed about the spelling errors and then worry people would think we are a pack of idiots. 

Jessa, who has thousands of followers, posts this and doesn't anticipate everyone laughing and mocking the "shaps" lesson?  How is that even possible she didn't see that coming?????

Jessa might need to take a seat with Derick and Jill for dumb posts.  At least Jeremy is just posting big books. 

It's a child's handwriting, most likely Mackynzie's or Michael's. The spelling and penmanship are about what I'd expect from kids their ages, let alone kids homeschooled by Ofsmuggar Duggar. Did you spell everything correctly when you were his age? 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

That dismal "shaps" lesson is proof positive of why you shouldn't have five children back to back and attempt to homeschool them. I know Michael's just a kid, but damn. Not one word is spelled right.

I felt for some reason like a grownup asked Michael and he dictated them out loud, like spelling bees.  I don't know why, but the handwriting struck me as more "unstructured bland schoolgirl printing" than any six-year-old's printing. I could of course be wrong.  It also seems like the kind of thing you might do if you were a little kid asked to spell "circle" aloud.

• Love 2

Assuming it was the 6-year-old cousin and not the 8-year-old cousin, I think the spelling is pretty typical. I have a child that age whose spelling is similar. The current public school pedagogy (at least in my area) is that it's more important for them to be comfortable writing than to be focused on correct spelling. They have spelling tests, but they're common sight words or 3 and 4-letter words--not hexagon, octagon, etc.

I was happy seeing Henry playing in the dollhouse. Maybe this generation will relax a little on enforcing strict gender roles.

• Love 22

@Zuleikha they were saying it was more impotant for us to be comfortable writing than focused on spelling when I was in school many, many years ago. This was when the computer was still relatively new. It will be more true for the spellcheck generations to come.  I also like @GeeGolly's hashtags.

It's never surprising when a Duggar/Bates woman is pregnant. They're all young women who've been taught that one must do nothing to prevent pregnancy. It would be more surprising if she wasn't. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Marigold said:

Because she's totally committed to the vision of her family being the best of the best? And they're all so below-standard, and so ignorant of the fact, that every one of them would also consider it not just okay but top drawer? 

Isolation plus arrogance is a combo that leaves you open to making a lot of ridicule-inducing mistakes. And she only learns about each individual mistake after she commits it. See: dirty diaper pile. She -- like the rest of them -- is so clueless in numerous ways that she never realizes there's a more general problem, I'd bet. 

By the same token, I'm not too concerned with a little kid's spelling. What i fear with the current Duggars-being-educated generation is that the kid won't be much more educated when it's 16 and ready to become a professional in some field it's observed for 45 minutes. 

ETA: The spelling does puzzle me. A school curriculum that downplays spelling usually aims for freedom and fluency instead of memorization and, ultimately, for creativity or for understanding and reasoning rather than rote work. But since the Duggar approach has always been rote memorization, and the last thing they seem likely to encourage is reasoning or deep understanding or creative freedom, I'm puzzled. And also kinda worried that the new-generation schooling could be so uninformed and lackadaisical that it not only doesn't produce thinkers but doesn't produce people who've memorized anything either. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 24

I'm kind of dismayed it looks like they're so clearly and obviously aggressively avoiding phonics.  Shouldn't this be the time when someone imparts the lesson to Michael that not all combinations of sounds leading to that "ULL" sound, are spelled "EL"?

• Love 4

This wouldn't be a big deal if one of the kids playing teacher was 'hosting' the short vid, but Jessa must know Spurgeon was memorizing childish crap and she could have gently corrected the lesson before letting him put in the effort. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, sometimesy said:

This wouldn't be a big deal if one of the kids playing teacher was 'hosting' the short vid, but Jessa must know Spurgeon was memorizing childish crap and she could have gently corrected the lesson before letting him put in the effort. 

Truthfully, Spurgeon is probably memorizing where the shapes are in relation to each other on the board, not the actual shapes or spellings themselves.  If Jessa were to show him an actual square or switch the shapes around on the board, he probably wouldn’t get them right. He would just repeat whatever shape was in that spot before.

• Love 9

J

46 minutes ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Truthfully, Spurgeon is probably memorizing where the shapes are in relation to each other on the board, not the actual shapes or spellings themselves.  If Jessa were to show him an actual square or switch the shapes around on the board, he probably wouldn’t get them right. He would just repeat whatever shape was in that spot before.

Yep, I know, it's just the video would have been cuter if the play teacher was there prompting Spurgeon, just to confirm it was just in fun. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Heathen said:

It's a child's handwriting, most likely Mackynzie's or Michael's. The spelling and penmanship are about what I'd expect from kids their ages, let alone kids homeschooled by Ofsmuggar Duggar. Did you spell everything correctly when you were his age? 

I'm sure it's a child who wrote that and not Jessa. Most likely Michael. 

But you know it's going to be laughed at and everyone is going to goof on it . Just explain Michael wrote it.   The way she left it is just begging to be snarked on.  She kinda walked into that one...

The actual writing and lesson doesn't bother me.  I find it insane that Jessa was so unaware of how it looks on social media.  She got slammed for the dirty diapers not too long ago, which surprised all of us that she had no clue it was weird to stack up poopy diapers.  Now the "shaps" lesson.  

You can't make this stuff up!  

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Isolation plus arrogance is a combo that leaves you open to making a lot of ridicule-inducing mistakes. And she only learns about each individual mistake after she commits it. See: dirty diaper pile. She -- like the rest of them -- is so clueless in numerous ways that she never realizes there's a more general problem, I'd bet. 

That describes Jessa perfectly.       Isolation + arrogance = social media blunders! 

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, kalamac said:

I have to say, even if Spurge was just repeating what he was told, rather than sight recognizing the shapes, he still has a pretty good memory for a kid his age, to get through them all without prompting. I've known 3 year olds who would have lost track part way through if they were just trying to parrot back something they'd been told.

Here's hoping someone (it'll have to be Ben, won't it - pay attention Ben), notices this and pushes for proper schooling, before he becomes as dull and uninterested as his aunts and uncles.

Hell I'm 39 and can't remember where I put an object I had in my hand five minutes ago. The Spurge definitely seems like a bright boy. I hope Jessa doesn't blow it all to shit with the Duggar brand of homefoolin'.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Hell I'm 39 and can't remember where I put an object I had in my hand five minutes ago. The Spurge definitely seems like a bright boy. I hope Jessa doesn't blow it all to shit with the Duggar brand of homefoolin'.

Just wait  till you hit 60.

• Love 15