Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

Hahaha, I went with black because all the women in my family married in black. I can't imagine what they said behind my back. LOL.

That's awesome. I married in dark purple, it's my favorite color. People were pissed that I didn't keep tradition. O well

• Love 2

Pickles and Hairspray Facebook has a photo of J'Chelle holding an unhappy baby. The picture was apparently taken back at the homestead after Jessa's wedding. She borrowed another one of Kelly Bates' dresses, this time the blue one Kelly wore to Erin and Chad's wedding. You'd think with all their money she could buy her own mother of the bride dresses, but apparently not.

I can't see much of the dress, but the necklace looks very similar to one she had on in some the the Jill wedding photos.

She really just doesn't have good fashion sense, and doesn't understand proportion. That necklace is enormous and is really unflattering for someone so small. I had the same complaint about the hideous silver dress. I don't know that it would look great on anyone, but it was really unflattering to someone short and squat like J'chelle.

Do they have a full-length mirror in the house, or is there some Gothard rule against it?

I'll post this here and on Jill's Wedding episode too.

I discovered an ez photography logo on one of the "Life is not all Pickles and Hairspray" photos of Jill's wedding. The photographer is not from Arkansas as expected but Indiana and she has some pixs from the wedding that I don't think have been posted before:

https://www.facebook.com/elizabethzellonphotography

It seems she did some work on Priscilla and David's wedding and makes note of going to Jessa's too.

“We flew to the Duggar hometown, not only to be part of the fun and excitement of honoring this precious couple, but as a father, I want my daughters to see what it looks like when a couple reserves their ‘first kiss’ for at the altar,” the father of six wrote. “Wow! This kind of moral excellence and purity is rare today, but our sons and daughters are priceless. This dad has only a few years to etch these meaningful images on the minds of his children.”

Interesting that the sanctimonious asshole didn't care if his three sons saw.  Typical double standard.

• Love 8

Pickles and Hairspray Facebook has a photo of J'Chelle holding an unhappy baby. The picture was apparently taken back at the homestead after Jessa's wedding. She borrowed another one of Kelly Bates' dresses, this time the blue one Kelly wore to Erin and Chad's wedding. You'd think with all their money she could buy her own mother of the bride dresses, but apparently not.

I'm pretty happy if it wasn't aluminum foil or duct tape, personally. Blue's great!

In HeyNowLand, Jessa blackmailed her parents into having Ben live next to her, by agreeing to go along with the filming of her courtship, engagement and wedding, and not disclosing the behind the scenes shenanigans (the real reality).  I think it's possible that the couple will move to his hometown and become more Seewald than Duggar, which could be why no grilling Ben about how he's going to support her, and not talking about where they are going to live.  HeyNowLand is a very peaceful, private kingdom.

• Love 10
In HeyNowLand, Jessa blackmailed her parents into having Ben live next to her, by agreeing to go along with the filming of her courtship, engagement and wedding, and not disclosing the behind the scenes shenanigans (the real reality).  I think it's possible that the couple will move to his hometown and become more Seewald than Duggar, which could be why no grilling Ben about how he's going to support her, and not talking about where they are going to live.  HeyNowLand is a very peaceful, private kingdom.

HeyNow, you read my mind! I was thinking the same thing.  I was thinking Jessa must've threatened elopement when Jim Bob did not approve of Ben, and not wishing to shatter his image as #1 father, he's been pretending to be on board with the courtship/engagement/marriage.  I think this is partly why he's been humiliating Ben this season. 

When my DH walked in and saw me watching the show, I told him that Ben and Jessa married this past weekend.  He asked (completely seriously), "So she married that dumb guy?"

• Love 7

It wouldn't surprise me if Miss Jessa Blessa threatened to elope or do something crazy if Boob didn't approve the engagement. During the restaurant scene where Jessa wouldn't let go of Bin's hand she had this expression on her face like "don't fuck with me." I also found it interesting that Boob didn't seem to care about the hand holding until Michelle made a big deal about it. Several posters have speculated that Michelle is the driving force behind all these ridiculous courtship rules, not Boob. I think they're right.

• Love 10

I remember earlier this season, JimBob asked Jessa if she thought the thing with Ben was "the real deal" and she replied "I'm gonna marry him."  She seemed to emotionless I wondered if there was an element of challenging JimBob with that statement.  Although in hindsight it was probably just the fifth take of that conversation and she was bored.

• Love 3

In HeyNowLand, Jessa blackmailed her parents into having Ben live next to her, by agreeing to go along with the filming of her courtship, engagement and wedding, and not disclosing the behind the scenes shenanigans (the real reality).  I think it's possible that the couple will move to his hometown and become more Seewald than Duggar, which could be why no grilling Ben about how he's going to support her, and not talking about where they are going to live.  HeyNowLand is a very peaceful, private kingdom.

I really really hope you're right!

• Love 1

I think if she had acted eager like Jill, they would have potentially used it against her as a "character building" exercise. Only by being nonchalant was she able to get what she truly wanted - marriage to the guy I believe that SHE chose at least as much as Jim Bob did.

After seeing tonight's episode, I have to give Ben and Jessa more credit than I originally thought they deserved. Jessa held his hand, frontal hugged her man, had a private "first" kiss, and wore that blush wedding dress like a grown woman. After her wedding and this episode, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if she threw a fit during that ridiculously long courtship and demanded some mother effing respect. Jill was allowed to meet, court, become engaged to, marry, and get knocked up by Derick over the duration of Jessa's courtship. I wouldn't blame her a bit if she started making demands that began with an engagement and ended with a 3 week honeymoon. She just seemed so relieved and sighed when she finally had that ring.

• Love 2

Wonder if Kirk Cameron's kids were disappointed not to see a first kiss after the big build up?

Somehow I don't think it was Kirk's only intention. Much like the gypsy community they go to weddings to hook their young up with a potential suitor. 

Kirk never shuts up!  He talks now to People magazine.  I swear he's in the news to promote his movie and all too happy that he gets to do this with the Bessa wedding:

"I want them to see that and go, 'That's what I want for my marriage,' " the former Growing Pains star, 44, tells PEOPLE. "Nobody does this. And as a dad, it thrills your heart. I want a guy that honors and respects my daughters like Ben is respecting Jessa."  Cameron, a born-again Christian, says he initially didn't think he could make the ceremony, but after talking about it with his wife, she convinced him otherwise. "She said, 'Did you see the thing in PEOPLE magazine about their rules about love and sex? It was awesome!' " he recalls.

"So while I normally wouldn't fly that far for any old friend's wedding, my daughters will very rarely get the chance to see a wedding where a husband and wife saved their first kiss for the altar," he says. "I want them to see this, because I don't know that they ever will again."

His daughters, Bella, 16, and Ahna, 15, who watch the hit show, were thrilled to be able to attend. "[When] we got an invitation from Jim Bob and Michelle, they were like, 'Dad, we are GOING. We are GOING!' " Cameron says with a laugh.

http://www.people.com/article/kirk-cameron-daughters-attend-jessa-duggar-wedding

I don't mean to offend anyone if they like this movie, but I think that plot sounds absolutely stupid. What odd logic. If you were really that happy and excited about Jesus's birth, why wouldn't you want to celebrate all month? Or for two months?

I'm not a Fundy by any stretch of the imagination, a refugee from the Catholic church really, though not entirely from Catholic teachings (I'm a bleeding heart liberal in large part because of the church's social teachings that I grew up with). For our family Christmas begins on the 24th when we decorate the tree and ends on January 6th, Epiphany. We keep very closely with the 12 days of the Christmas tradition. For us, keeping to the 12 days makes them more special, less diluted than they would be if we were to celebrate for the whole month or more.

• Love 4

(wry tone) Jill actually didn't "meet" anyone -- she was completely set up by Daddy.

At least Jessa and Ben have pursued each other.  I'm not sure what their future is going to hold, but I think it's pretty clear that we won't have any scenes just before Jessa and Jim Bob walk down the aisle where Jessa tells Jim Bob that he set all this up and she trusts him that much.  When Michelle said that "Daddy holds [Jessa's] heart" I laughed out loud.  Daddy hasn't held that heart from quite some time, if he ever held it.  Not all daughters are Daddy's girls.

Now whether that's a good match or not, I don't know.  What they'll do for money, I don't know.  But I remember standing outside of the church on the night before I got married and my soon-to-be husband telling me that he'd been turned down for yet another job, and both of us wondering what on earth we were going to do, but thinking, well, "it isn't always easy, but somehow, we'll make it all work." ;)

• Love 7

The show ended because Kirk was trying to re-write the script to suit his new found beliefs. This included having a cast member fired for posing in Playboy, even though this had no effect on Kirk's career whatsoever. Basically, he was trying to make his co-workers adhere to his beliefs which, IMO is unacceptable. The show was canned because he's a zealot.

Ugh. I had not heard all that. I agree, very unacceptable. Why was he at Jessa's wedding and not Jill's? Is this through the Seewalds?

I was an atheist most of my life. Then my daughter died. I did not suddenly convert. But I had some very uncanny encounters that made me realize something is out there. I cannot stand people who shove God in anyone's face but I am drawn to spiritual people, or people who practice what they preach without imposing their will. Which is why I start watching this show.

Alas, I see it is more complicated than I thought. Still, my family is crazier than the Duggars.

• Love 3

Jellybeans, I wholeheartedly believe that something IS out there far beyond our comprehension. I do believe that this entity that we, here on earth call "God",(and there are other names) is interested in us and our lives on this earth. I also have had some experiences that support this belief. Having said that, I also believe that this power transcends any and all churches and wall of worship. It is more than earthly religion.

Back to the Duggars...and their infantile belief of the Almighty...I call "baloney" on Jessa and Ben's handholding during prayer before they are engaged. I think they were engaged way before this, kept it quiet, as to Jim Bob's instructions because Jill had to have her time and the episodes, which PAY THEM MONEY needed to be spread out. Not for one moment do I think that Jessa and Ben would go against the courting rules. Ben is a kid and he is afraid of Jim Bob, plain and simple.

This was all staged for TV, none of it "was as it happened".

• Love 8

Jellybeans, I wholeheartedly believe that something IS out there far beyond our comprehension. I do believe that this entity that we, here on earth call "God",(and there are other names) is interested in us and our lives on this earth. I also have had some experiences that support this belief. Having said that, I also believe that this power transcends any and all churches and wall of worship. It is more than earthly religion.

Thank you. :-) And I agree!

• Love 3

It's not uncommon, in a lot of fundy engagements to have a point of decision, where you decide to marry, and then a whole formal set up where you get the ring.  My husband and I did this well over 20 years ago.  I'd even go so far as to say it's done in couples where there's some push back from the family, and the couple is really making sure privately that they are driving this, not the parents.  I think it's quite likely that what everyone is saying is true -- there was a moment when Jessa and Ben decided that yes, they were engaged and going to be married no matter what.  And then there was a formal engagement.  It's complicated by the television show, but that doesn't mean that it isn't something that happens to a lot of couples, and wouldn't have played out similarly even without the cameras.

• Love 2

Back to the Duggars...and their infantile belief of the Almighty...I call "baloney" on Jessa and Ben's handholding during prayer before they are engaged. I think they were engaged way before this, kept it quiet, as to Jim Bob's instructions because Jill had to have her time and the episodes, which PAY THEM MONEY needed to be spread out. Not for one moment do I think that Jessa and Ben would go against the courting rules. Ben is a kid and he is afraid of Jim Bob, plain and simple.

This was all staged for TV, none of it "was as it happened".

floridamom, I agree with your entire post. 

I think that one of the reasons I believe the engagement happened (even before Jill's), is because of the way they'd shown Ben asking to court Jessa.  It seemed so ho-hum, and given the way that this group makes a big deal of these events, it doesn't make sense to me that this would be done oh so casually in JimBob's office.  Jessa didn't seem especially surprised.  I really am starting to feel that the rebellious Jessa put the screws to JimBob and forced this on him, giving him no choice but to accept Ben.

• Love 2

Ugh. I had not heard all that. I agree, very unacceptable. Why was he at Jessa's wedding and not Jill's? Is this through the Seewalds?

I was an atheist most of my life. Then my daughter died. I did not suddenly convert. But I had some very uncanny encounters that made me realize something is out there. I cannot stand people who shove God in anyone's face but I am drawn to spiritual people, or people who practice what they preach without imposing their will. Which is why I start watching this show.

Alas, I see it is more complicated than I thought. Still, my family is crazier than the Duggars.

If not imposing your beliefs on others is one of the reasons for starting to watch the show the Duggars spend time and money to make laws and take away rights that you may wish you had or want to keep.

• Love 2

Couldn't help but notice that unlike Jill and Derick, Jessa and Ben's wedding is not the cover story for this week's People magazine.  That honor went to Matthew McConaughey.  All the couple got was a small box in the upper right hand corner.  I wonder if the fact that a lot of subscribers complained when they gave the cover to Jill and Derick instead of the late Lauren Bacall had anything to do with this decision. 

• Love 1

Count me among those who suspect Bin is not as Dim as he comes across. I think he is awkward and young (sooo young). He has spent a lot of screen time being mocked by Boob and the boys for no being able to do stuff they can do. But he doesn't back down from their challenges, took the lead on that male-bonding rock climbing thing. I think he's also an introvert. He's uncomfortable in front of the camera, especially beside people who've spent 10 years of their lives there. Jim Bob intimidates him (intentionally).

I think his inclination is more white collar than blue collar, like Josiah perhaps, unlike John-David and Joe. Boob's handyman jobs are not bringing out his strengths. He needs to stay in school (even if it means taking online courses for a bit) and find something he's good at. Boob's bitch ain't it.

• Love 6

It wouldn't surprise me if Miss Jessa Blessa threatened to elope or do something crazy if Boob didn't approve the engagement. During the restaurant scene where Jessa wouldn't let go of Bin's hand she had this expression on her face like "don't fuck with me." I also found it interesting that Boob didn't seem to care about the hand holding until Michelle made a big deal about it. Several posters have speculated that Michelle is the driving force behind all these ridiculous courtship rules, not Boob. I think they're right.

I think Mechelle is the driving force behind just about EVERYTHING. She was far too headstrong and accustomed to getting her own way before she met Boob to have changed since marriage. And even after all this time he still talks about being so incredibly lucky to have snagged the hot little cheerleader. It's very clear that neither one of them have grown or changed since their mid-teens. Despite all blather to the contrary...

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 2

If not imposing your beliefs on others is one of the reasons for starting to watch the show the Duggars spend time and money to make laws and take away rights that you may wish you had or want to keep.

This is my first season to watch. It was not what I expected.

I stand by my earlier comment that the Duggars seem tame compared to my family. So, everything is relative to your own upbringing.

• Love 2

Regarding Kirk Cameron. I posted in the Old Time Religion forum, but in case anyone's interested who didn't see it there, I'll recap here. I've met him. He was the neighbor of a friend of mine years ago around the time he and his wife adopted their first child, Jack. My friend knows him well. She's a lapsed Catholic and her husband's an athiest. They have socialized with the Camerons for years and have continued to do so even after Kirk moved his family to a nearby upscale gated community. Kirk has never tried to convert them or even discuss his religious beliefs with them. He certainly seems very sincere about his religion, but I strongly suspect his showing up at Jessa's wedding was to garner publicity for a movie project. No way are the Duggars people he would normally hang with.

• Love 2

Obviously his daughters are fans, based on their reaction to the wedding invitation. My guess is that his sons had no interest in going to the wedding. Evangelicals or fundy-lites or whatever he would be considered usually emphasize abstinence before marriage both for boys and girls.

Edited by Abstract

Then he found Jesus

Was it before or after he met Chelsea Noble?

I saw that dress MEchelle was wearing and it was dismissed as the dress she wore to the wedding instead it was the dress she wore to the Holy Warehouse Church the next morning.

I call "baloney" on Jessa and Ben's handholding during prayer before they are engaged. I think they were engaged way before this, kept it quiet,

I'm with you on this floridamom.  I thought Michelle's reaction to it wasn't because they were holding hands before being engaged but they shouldn't be shown holding hands now since the engagement was not yet announced.

I'm not a Fundy by any stretch of the imagination, a refugee from the Catholic church really, though not entirely from Catholic teachings (I'm a bleeding heart liberal in large part because of the church's social teachings that I grew up with). For our family Christmas begins on the 24th when we decorate the tree and ends on January 6th, Epiphany. We keep very closely with the 12 days of the Christmas tradition. For us, keeping to the 12 days makes them more special, less diluted than they would be if we were to celebrate for the whole month or more.

I am secular but, I put up my Christmas tree November 1st and don't take it down until February 1st. I absolutely LOVE Christmas. It just makes me happy.

I call myself atheist but I am really more agnostic. I don't know if here is anything beyond this world but I am open to the possibility. I don',t however, believe in the biblical interpretation of creation or any other of the books of religion.

Edited by Higgins
  • Love 5

I'm too many pages behind on this thread to read everything, so I apologize if this has been covered. I just saw on radar (granted not the most reliable source) that Jessa and Ben decided to not share there first kiss in front of everybody (btw good for them) and that it completely blindsided Jim Bob and Michelle so much that Jim Bob asked the producers to edit it so that it looks like they were in on it. I'm not sure how true that is, and really I don't get what the big deal is... That's more controlling than even I thought (I always thought he was controlling) he was.

I re-watched the restaurant/handholding scene and I heard JB say about lets all hold hands and pray. It sounded so staged to me. He just wouldn't say that in the manner in which he did in a restaurant. I believe that he isn't a good actor and it came across. His voice wasn't natural, more staged, scripted stuff for dramatic effect IMO.

I didn't see where Michelle had hugged Ben the was "rubbing his arm"? Where did you guys see that, in what scene? I'd love to see that! Thanks

• Love 1

I'm too many pages behind on this thread to read everything, so I apologize if this has been covered. I just saw on radar (granted not the most reliable source) that Jessa and Ben decided to not share there first kiss in front of everybody (btw good for them) and that it completely blindsided Jim Bob and Michelle so much that Jim Bob asked the producers to edit it so that it looks like they were in on it. I'm not sure how true that is, and really I don't get what the big deal is... That's more controlling than even I thought (I always thought he was controlling) he was.

Radar quoted from a fundie blog that's been pretty much outed as satire or just bogus.

That hand behind the neck thing is an advanced move. Between that and her licking the cake off his fingers I'm thinking Ms Jessa had a bit of practice prior to this wedding.

Jill licked cake off of Derick's fingers.  Did Jessa do that to Bin?

Edited by abseedee

Wow. They look like they are VERY comfortable with fellowship-ing sweetly.  She has a lower cut shirt on, and Ben looks like he is in sheer ecstasy.  She's got her hand on his head like she is in control.  Wow. Just wow...

• Love 1

As a comparison, my husband and I decided one night, in the car, while chatting that "we're getting married, see, done". Then, after that, he did the whole thing with the ring at a nice dinner with my parents. We were already engaged to our own satisfaction, but the traditions had to be respected.

I see no reason why Ben and Jessa wouldn't have done something similar, so the actual ring part was just the tradition being upheld.

• Love 1