Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

Haven't seen any evidence of Jessa and Ben trying to keep their lives private. I don't think hiding his college email address would be high on his list. The college, however, might request he use a different one to avoid inundating the email server. It is not rocket science to figure out a college email address.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 1

I just noticed in Jessa's happy birthday Mechelle video that she has a huge pencil drawing of her and Ben in their living room. The only way that's remotely acceptable is if Ben drew it. We know he can sort of draw horses, but that doesn't mean he can do portraits, especially selfies. I lean towards a leghumper wedding present. These are precisely the type to proudly display such artwork.

• Love 1

A single SAT exam would prove whether or not any of the adult Duggar children have achieved minimum competency within their "homeschooling" to attend an accredited college. That's all it would take.  And I doubt that information would ever be made public.  

Though I imagine John David has probably more accumulated knowledge than any of the others, simply due to his activities. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

A single SAT exam would prove whether or not any of the adult Duggar children have achieved minimum competency within their "homeschooling" to attend an accredited college. That's all it would take.  And I doubt that information would ever be made public.  

Though I imagine John David has probably more accumulated knowledge than any of the others, simply due to his activities.

JD is probably also the most likely to pass the SAT with a decent score-he must have some grasp of math to fly, and if he's a decent pilot he's done enough studying to have critical reading skills. He might flub some of the verbal due to vocab limitations though. But his work experience probably has the most direct overlap to what the SAT measures.

• Love 2

Late to the party but..Did anyone watch that video? Ben is an idiot! He sounds like a 12 year old girl. Jessa suggests he better count his siblings, and he does it. He doesn't get that it's not really required. What  a tool. His TH's were awful as well. He definitely comes off better on social media where he just sounds arrogant, instead of pathetic.  Honestly, you almost expect him to say things like 'did so!' or stick his tongue out as a response to things. The backwards hat makes sense, but the real fashion statement for Ben is a hat with a propeller on top.

• Love 8

Shoulders and knees! No wonder why the Seewald grandpa is gripping the side of his lawn chair.

Thanks for the flashback to gym class CofCinci. :) I've got the song Heads, Shoulders, Knees & Toes in my head now.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 1

And then when I think of the "ministry" he might do. Oy vey. Here, students, let me urge you to be like me -- ignorant, bigoted, closeminded and loudmouthed. To spout foggily understood quasi-Calvinist theology on the Internet and then fall apart like a wet tissue with the very first question or argument anyone raises regarding my position. How academic. How learned. How worthy of emulation. And yet somehow he really thinks it is? Christ.

Here's a good example of what you've written: Bin and his stupid "I survived Roe v. Wade" t-shirt. Really? He and his theology wouldn't survive a five minute discussion with someone who actually had something going on between their ears. His response to any logical, measured criticism of ANY of his statements is to block, or post yet another incomprehensible screed about Jesus couched in legalism that's off-putting to anyone else but Mark Driscoll. I'm sure he'll be a huge success telling the rest of us where we've gone wrong in life. Considering that the unchurched numbers in the US are continuing to climb, he does not get it and he never will.

Wait until he figures out he's not going to be able to use the "block" button from the pulpit of his elementary school church in BFE, Arkansas.

• Love 12

Jessa wearing a tank dress. Good for her!

https://instagram.com/p/7mGPPKD_jQ/?taken-by=seewaldfamily

Yes. I noticed right after the wedding she started wearing some skirts above the knee; she's also been edging into sleeveless territory for a while and appears to have arrived. I agree, good for her! It's a small thing but it is a thing. It shows at least a glimmer of something -- Jessa making her own choices, and/or Ben's being willing to make different judgment calls than Jim Bob did. ...So, yeah. It's a thing. Totally.

• Love 8
Actually my favorite part of this picture is that she's hanging out with Mr. Seewald and not the Duggars. He had the guts to publicly voice his disgust with Josh so maybe he can be an influence on Jessa to break away a bit and develop something... anything.

I don't think that's Ben's father.  I think it's his grandfather.

Jill did the same before she found out she was pregnant.

There were picture of her in tanks and skirts short enough to show her knees when sitting on Derrick's lap.

Unfortunately, she's reverted to that matronly frump.

Edited by roamyn

How did Ben/Jessa meet and start their courtship? It's totally slipped my mind but I'm remembering that it was not the typical "Ben found Jim Bob ala Derrick and Jill".

Papa Seewald drove four hours to attend the Church of the Holy Warehouse where Bin spotted Jessa. He was barely 17 at the time and she was 20. I guess they chatted, a light bulb went off in Jessa's head where she realized this dumb teenaged boy equaled a shot at freedom, and the rest is history!

• Love 10
Papa Seewald drove four hours to attend the Church of the Holy Warehouse where Bin spotted Jessa.

"Oh Gee Whiz! 19 kids, you say?  I did not know that.  Daughters, you say?  Oh, that's interesting! Would I like to meet your family, you ask?  Sure..."

• Love 10

I think Jessa actually grew to like Ben more than she thought she would. I often wonder, however why Jim Bob didn't first introduce Ben to one of the girls closer to his age. Really it seems all the thought he gave it was, "well Ben's cute and Jessa`s cute. Match made!" Really, Jim Bob seems to think that's all that mattered.

I think it was Ben's idea. I sort of remember his mother saying something about it. Ben wanted to meet Jessa Duggar, and his mom basically thought, "Aim lower, boy." But Papa Seewald scored them an invitation to the Church of Jim Bob and Bin kept talking to Jessa, and then somehow she agreed to get to know him (that part is murky). They started to court, then Derick appeared on the scene and Jim Bob lost interest in Jessa and Bin (he just needed a daughter courting; it didn't matter which one). And then I think it was Pa Seewald that felt things weren't moving fast enough (?) and then Bin moved into the ever-luxurious "guest house." And somewhere around that point, Jessa discovered to her great surprise that she actually kind of liked him, and the rest, as they say, is history. (What? History is full of boring stories about arranged marriages.)

Edited because auto-correct never seems to get involved when there's an actual mistake.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 11

Surely they met before the Church of the Holy Warehouse visit. JB wouldn't roll out the red carpet for strangers. Perhaps Ben was originally designated for the more age-appropriate Jinger.

I think I read that the Seewalds were somewhat acquainted with the Duggars prior to Bin getting a hard on for Jessa. I remember reading that Jessa had met Bin a few years prior but he didn't make an impression on her then. Kind of similar to how Michelle described meeting Jim Bob.

• Love 1

They'd met as children too.

Of course, based on how they present themselves, that could be last week.

Seriously. We often remark on how young the Duggar kids come off. Typical, of course, for the isolated and sheltered. But Ben is almost worse. Much of the time he seems like a particularly socially inept 6th or 7th grader. And he'll soon be a father. And, heaven help us, he has hopes of imminent multiple fatherhood. That just seems like a child with the dreams of a child. I can't imagine what that family's going to be like as the years unfold.

• Love 7

They'd met as children too.

IIRC, the Duggars invaded the Seewalds' church. It wasn't much of a meeting at all, but Guinn and Michael would have remembered it due to the Duggars' celebrity. I want to say it was during the run of the old specials, so Ben wouldn't have been more than what, 10, when the families "met?"

He definitely had a hard-on from watching Jessa on TV, and got his daddy to finagle a trip to the Church of the Blacked Out Windows to meet her. If he had his eye on another sister, he's never revealed it. Since Jessa is such a tough nut to crack, I'm sure it was evident right away that Ben was sniffing her out, since she probably gave him the cold shoulder at first. If nothing else, his own family may have given him a hard time about it. 

At any rate, once Ben made his intention to get to know Jessa known, she would have told Ben to go to Boob for permission to talk to her. The girls have said numerous times that's the Duggar Drill when boys are concerned. 

• Love 1

I think I read that the Seewalds were somewhat acquainted with the Duggars prior to Bin getting a hard on for Jessa. I remember reading that Jessa had met Bin a few years prior but he didn't make an impression on her then. Kind of similar to how Michelle described meeting Jim Bob.

Maybe because she was legally an adult and he was some scrawny, not even remotely legal, teenager?

I read before, perhaps on TWoP or FJ, that one of the Seewald relatives got chatty on FaceBook when the relationship between Ben and Jessa first became public knowledge.  She said that Ben had crushed on Jessa for at least a couple of years prior to meeting her at age 17.  He watched the show and spoke often of her.  Papa Seewald agreed to secure an invitation to the Duggar church, but he actually felt that if a match were made, it would be between one of his daughters and one of the Duggar boys.  Papa Seewald had intentions of making his family known to the Duggars, but just what he was after wasn't clear.  The relative thought he wanted to be close to the power, money, and fame, maybe hoping to get some of that for himself.  Regardless, he drove his family to the church one day with hope that the visit would prove to be profitable in some way.

In the end, Mr. S and JB met but were not destined to become fast friends.  Bens sisters came away with an active dislike of the Duggar boys and several of the younger Duggars, there was no way they'd agree to consider joining that family.  But Ben managed to talk to Jessa and felt that they had a real connection.  Due to his young age, Mr. and Mrs. S weren't sure that anything would come of the match, but they were allowed to attend the Duggar church several more times, and each time Ben and Jessa spent more time together to the point that Jessa was already being chaperoned by the end of the second church visit.  JB spoke to Ben and his father privately, and decided to let the fledgling friendship continue if it were kept private and proceeded slowly until Ben graduated high school and turned 18.

When Jill and Derick started to talk more, Mr. S was worried that Ben would be cut loose.  He felt that JB was looking for a courtship to revitalize the show, and Jill and Derick made a better story.  That's when one of Bens aunts put a picture of Ben and Jessa sitting close together and announced that Ben had a lovely new girlfriend named Jessa Duggar.  Yes, the famous Jessa of the famous Duggar family.  Within days, the secret was out and Ben was in. 

Not long after the chatty Seewald relative posted the above information, her FB page was scrubbed and only the memories remained of her story about how Mr. Seewald launched a machiavellian campaign to get in bed with the Duggars, whether they liked it or not.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 20

I read before, perhaps on TWoP or FJ, that one of the Seewald relatives got chatty on FaceBook when the relationship between Ben and Jessa first became public knowledge.  She said that Ben had crushed on Jessa for at least a couple of years prior to meeting her at age 17.  He watched the show and spoke often of her.  Papa Seewald agreed to secure an invitation to the Duggar church, but he actually felt that if a match were made, it would be between one of his daughters and one of the Duggar boys.  Papa Seewald had intentions of making his family known to the Duggars, but just what he was after wasn't clear.  The relative thought he wanted to be close to the power, money, and fame, maybe hoping to get some of that for himself.  Regardless, he drove his family to the church one day with hope that the visit would prove to be profitable in some way.

In the end, Mr. S and JB met but were not destined to become fast friends.  Bens sisters came away with an active dislike of the Duggar boys and several of the younger Duggars, there was no way they'd agree to consider joining that family.  But Ben managed to talk to Jessa and felt that they had a real connection.  Due to his young age, Mr. and Mrs. S weren't sure that anything would come of the match, but they were allowed to attend the Duggar church several more times, and each time Ben and Jessa spent more time together to the point that Jessa was already being chaperoned by the end of the second church visit.  JB spoke to Ben and his father privately, and decided to let the fledgling friendship continue if it were kept private and proceeded slowly until Ben graduated high school and turned 18.

When Jill and Derick started to talk more, Mr. S was worried that Ben would be cut loose.  He felt that JB was looking for a courtship to revitalize the show, and Jill and Derick made a better story.  That's when one of Bens aunts put a picture of Ben and Jessa sitting close together and announced that Ben had a lovely new girlfriend named Jessa Duggar.  Yes, the famous Jessa of the famous Duggar family.  Within days, the secret was out and Ben was in. 

Not long after the chatty Seewald relative posted the above information, her FB page was scrubbed and only the memories remained of her story about how Mr. Seewald launched a machiavellian campaign to get in bed with the Duggars, whether they liked it or not.

Wow. Just wow. How's that long con workin' out for you now, Papa Seewald? And how awful is it that JB was apparently willing to sell any daughter to the first guy that came along for a storyline on a stupid reality TV show? Gross. 

Also, I would love to know what the Duggar boys did to send the Seewald girls running... 

Edited by Guest

"Also, I would love to know what the Duggar boys did to send the Seewald girls running..."

Probably just being themselves.

Well, yes, but an "active dislike" implies something more happened than just the passive dislike that comes from them being themselves. LOL. 

Edited by Guest

Well, yes, but an "active dislike" implies something more happened than just the passive dislike that comes from them being themselves. LOL. 

Maybe it was a combo-platter of "normal" Duggar behavior - broad, bland, dull, repetitive, glazed-over, hyperactive, screeching-violin, counter-licking chaos - IN ADDITION to something super-extra-creepy  ?  Maybe JB and Michelle did a little bit more of the ole' hyuk-hyuk mini-golf bump and grind in the middle of the cavern they call a living room ? 

Maybe one of the boys called for a "group swim" and the Seewalds found out that meant fully clothed in what is clearly a water trough for livestock ? 

Maybe one of the Seewald girls needed to use the restroom and found herself facing two side-by-side toilets in the open and her head exploded ?

Maybe they had to eat what the Duggars call "food" and ran screaming in the other direction ? 

This list could be a HUNDRED pages long - my question is not what the Duggars did to send the girls running, it's how in the holy hell did they ever get Ben to stay ?!?! 

• Love 14

This list could be a HUNDRED pages long - my question is not what the Duggars did to send the girls running, it's how in the holy hell did they ever get Ben to stay ?!?! 

Sometimes it's hard to spot The Crazy when you're blinded by the lights of impending stardom. 

Sometimes it's hard to spot The Crazy when you're blinded by the lights of impending stardom. 

It's so, so sad - immeasurably sad - but I think you're right - he saw the brass ring and decided to grab it. Good for his sisters in declining to try to hop on board the Duggar Gravy Train, but I guess Ben had stars in his eyes. 

Or boobs.

Yeah - stars and boobs. He was a teenage BOY - no matter the Gothard training, ATI, my-heart-belongs-to-Jesus, homeschoolin', ALERT bullshit - this was a kid who wanted to proceed to the next level of life, even if that meant going from zero-to-sixty all in one day. I think Jessa was the very same way, as she was, essentially, a teenage GIRL. The heart wants what it wants, or something like that...

The most apt analogy I can think of is that a church-y/social mash-up of the Older/Middle Duggar kids with marriage/courting-eligible peers is like putting a shitload of Mentos in proximity of a two-litre bottle of Diet Coke and seeing what explodes and where.  

JB may have been all sweetly teary-eyed at Jessa's wedding, but I think the soundtrack in his head was singing "To market, to market..."

• Love 8

Unlike her brothers I think Miss Jessa has heaps of ambition. She just doesn't know what she wants. She needs to broaden her horizons and maybe have someone push her in the right direction. Mr Seewald might have thought that a good quality for his son's future wife.

• Love 3

I guess Ben had stars in his eyes. 

Or boobs.

Ah, old-fashioned romance. Just as God intended. 

JB may have been all sweetly teary-eyed at Jessa's wedding, but I think the soundtrack in his head was singing "To market, to market..."

Thanks for the chill down my spine. I used to not think that JB and M were as calculating as some believed them to be, but I am beginning to change my mind in light of this new info brought to us by Zahdii

If Mr Seewald thought that his daughters were ready to be matched up with a Duggar, and Ben his oldest child was only 17, that's strange and a little disturbing.

Well, one of Ben's sisters (IDK their names) seems to have rebelled, so I'm guessing Papa Seewald may have wanted to quell her spirit with an early betrothal. 

Edited by Guest

Maybe one of the Seewald girls needed to use the restroom and found herself facing two side-by-side toilets in the open and her head exploded ?

This has been discussed many times, it's nothing weird. They don't use both at the same time. I've seen it in other restrooms with large and small kids coexisting in the same house.

how in the holy hell did they ever get Ben to stay ?!?!

Money combined with fame's a hell of a drug.

• Love 1

This has been discussed many times, it's nothing weird. They don't use both at the same time. I've seen it in other restrooms with large and small kids coexisting in the same

But if they aren't to be used at the same time, what is the point? Are they different sizes, to accommodate big and small kids?

Something else just hit me like a ton of bricks. The mention above of the cavernous living room made me ponder, again, WHY? Why not a collection of smaller, attractive, comfortable rooms? Well, duh. Those would allow for privacy and intimacy - and Joshgate I has forever twisted those concepts for the family. (I am sure a lot of you had already figured that out.)

• Love 10